Caution is Key (Attn:Bao)

Claire walked at a steady pace out of the garden, hurried but dignified. It became less so once she reached the Manor. Heading straight for her room, Claire rushed inside leaving the door to her apartments open wide. She planned to be going right back out very quickly anyway.

She set the muff down on the bench in her entrance and then bent over to search the little drawer on the table opposite for the key that she knew was in there somewhere. Unsteady fingers pushed the odds and ends out of the way. There in the back, her fingers touched it. Claire knelt and pushed her hand further into the drawer until she was able to wrap her fingers around the prize she sought.

Bao 13 years ago
Yes he was curious about what she was doing and hoped that it wasn't anything drastic. But Bao still took a moment to return to his own rooms and put his telescope away. Only then did he find a servant and get directions.

He was certain it had to do with her maker, she'd seemed quite concerned for him. But it also seemed that this was a no win situation. The man was going to be hunted, it was only a matter of by whom.

Even though the door was open Bao knocked. He wouldn't dream of just entering.

"Claire?"

He called courteously. If she were distracted enough to leave the door open she might not hear the knock.
Claire 13 years ago
Claire turned sharply at the sound of her name. She was tempted to hide the little key behind her back but what purpose would that serve except to point out that she was doing something she probably shouldn't? She leaned out and smiled at Bao.

"Please, come in."

His company was certainly welcome, even now. Claire took off her coat, revealing the long burgundy satin dress beneath. Its corset,sleeves and straight cut neckline were bordered with gold thread and tiny pearls. Hanging the coat on one of the pegs at the entrance, she made her way further into the apartment and offered him a place in the living room.

"Would you care for some tea? Or coffee? I promise to do my best to keep it off your clothing." A hint of smile accompanied her words. She held the key between long fingers while she waited for his reply. The cold metal growing warmer in her hands, like a thing thought long dead but slowly regaining life.
Bao 13 years ago
Her dress left him feeling a bit underdressed, which was not something that often happened to Bao. He did have a tux in his closet but he had no idea if he even had a morning coat or tails. The feeling, however, was fleeting.

He smiled at she was both a good hostess and teased him. One could not fault her manners in the slightest. Clearing his throat somewhat awkwardly Bao searched for words. Really he had no reason to pry into her affairs and he wasn't terribly good expressing, or even understanding, emotion.

"You seemed rather ... bothered by what Jin had to say. I thought I should... perhaps I can help."

That had seemed a safe enough response, friendly but still polite. Slightly warmer than professional but not intrusive. Yes, that seemed appropriate.
Claire 13 years ago
She smiled softly. His concern was touching. Bao was not surprisingly very perceptive. Claire motioned to one of the chairs by the fire. She moved about lighting the several oil lamps in the room, adjusting the wick to brighten the space.

Holding up the key in her hand, she said.

"I can find Sorin. I suppose any tracker can.� Claire wondered why Anantya had yet to bother. She knew that he would have someone watching, wherever he was hiding. He would move on at the first sign of being found. "I do not doubt that he has some hideaway that would take one with such a talent to find. I could hope that he would not leave before I had a chance to speak with him.�

To let him know that it was not safe to stay here, if he were still in town. It was not safe for him anywhere but now Nachton held additional danger.
Bao 13 years ago
Bao didn't sit until she did. While his manners were very rarely lacking, her out dated mode o dress seemed to inspire him to step up his game. If he weren't careful he'd wind up formally bowing and kissing her hand though. The oil laps only increased those odds, it would be easy to fall back in time.

He wasn't terribly surprised by the fact that Claire would have a way to contact her maker. It was very likely that Amir would leave one of his children, probably Mara, a way to reach him if he were forced to go into hiding. Bao considered this revelation and was slightly conflicted.

The lawyer in him wanted to find Sorin and bring him in. If he was being hunted he should be found. But on the other hand, the clan did not lack for trackers, of course, perhaps they did lack an item to track him with. And it was possible that the other elders had a reason to let him remain in hiding. Bao was perplexed, he didn't see a good answer.

The best he could do was hope she would think about it further.

"But would tat be the best course of action?"
Claire 13 years ago
Sitting in the chair across from him, Claire looked down at the key in her lap and shrugged slightly.

"I do not know.�

Sorin had plotted his own course and found the water choppy. Vampires take human lives all the time, was one vampire life so terrible a crime that it called for the destruction of another? What if there was some other solution? He could pay penance of some kind. Claire thought about approaching an Elder on the matter. The Rose would be the obvious choice but Morrigan would be all too happy to see Sorin burned on a pyre of his own making. Perhaps Mai could be of help then. Or Sorin, himself. He would certainly know the answers.

"He's been there for me my whole life, Bao. I do not know what to do without him.�

Tears glittered in her dark eyes, threatening to fall. Claire looked away.
Bao 13 years ago
Bao froze for a moment. He did not, that was to say he didn't often deal with emotions, not even his own. His wayward off spring provided quite enough challenges along that front. Claire, however, was a different matter.

At least she was thinking now and not just acting. The other blessing was he understood the sentiment. While not dependent on Amir there was a great deal of stability in knowing his creator was out there. Amir was the only real constant in his life, not that they were always together, but he always... was. It was how it was supposed to be.

"The only difference is he is not here. I doubt very highly that he has no intention of returning or contacting you at some point."

He hoped that sounded reassuring, that's how he meant it.

"Until then... there must be some avenue you would like to pursue. You have the right to lead your own life."

That Amir had encouraged and Bao was thankful for it. He could not imagine being at loose ends for centuries, or even a year.
Claire 13 years ago
Claire listened and nodded.

"Yes, there is some comfort to knowing that he is out there somewhere...but less in knowing that there is now a killer looking for him."

She smiled slightly at his words, twirling around and around in her fingers.

"He approved of my own pursuits. Sorin convinced some very backward men to allow me to learn medicine with the scholars of the time, ages ago when I wanted to study the modern practices."

She already knew more than most doctors of the time. She had been a midwife and apothecary long before she became a physician. In those times, she would have trusted herbal folk medicine over some of the new techniques that the men of science were using. Still she had wanted to learn them.

Claire smiled thinking back to his towering rage on her behalf. 'Give her whatever admittance test you would normally give a man. If she can't pass it perfectly then don't consider her but if she can then you are all fools not to realize what a boon to medicine she could be.' In the end she suspected a few commands were cleverly given but they admitted her.

"I do not worry about my own pursuits so much as I worry about him." She lifted a hand and waved it in a gesture of frustration. "They might kill him, Anantya, for what he has done. I know that. I might eventually make peace with that notion but this... murderer is different. Sorin does not know he is being hunted by this one. If I lost him without trying to warn him..."

She would never forgive herself.
Bao 13 years ago
"A killer may be looking for him."

It was as close to reassuring as Bao was apt to get. Although the killer seemed to be targeting those with command there was no guarantee who he was targeting or even if he knew who among the clan would have that gift. Granted, Claire's maker was a prominent figure but it was not a given.

For a brief moment Bao felt the faintest twinge of guilt. He should have been there for his daughter. She shouldn't have had to fight for her education, it should have been a given. Of course, she had managed quite well on her own, so the thought didn't last long A second, maybe.

"Then I am certain he would not want you to lack for direction now."

Aside from the fact that Jin and those involved in this chase might have the idea of property cover and he hated double work. More so he hated stepping on toes, but if not for both of those he might have shown Claire how to search for property transactions that might be of interest. But he would not get involved unless asked. It wasn't that he was less than willing, it was the chain of command, and you followed it.

"Perhaps there is a way to get him a message without actually going to him. Even in hiding he must have some habits that would be... unique?"

His own predilection for manicures came to mind. And those that knew him best knew he favored establishments where the staff was primarily Asian, preferable Vietnamese or Chinese. He blended in better in such businesses and as long as he pretended he was born in America and couldn't speak his mother tongue they had a tendency to get chatty. Some times he learned things, sometimes he didn't or nothing useful at any rate, Bao simply liked to hear his native language around him, it helped him relax.

But there had to be a way to find Sorin without really finding him. Surly Claire would feel better if they could alert her creator to this threat and he would feel better if they didn't actually find the man.
Claire 13 years ago
Claire smiled at Bao and nodded. "Oui, peut-être." She sighed. "However, Jin seemed to think it was in some way concerned with the Treaty with the werewolves. My Creator, he was there, he used command on them then."

Sorin was very proficient with it. As talented as Sofia had been, her sire was better. He considered it an art form and felt that it should always be done with finesse whether you were wanting someone to give you secret documents or a cup of tea.

"You are right, of course. He would not want me to sit idle."

Would he want her to come after him? That is a good question. She didn't know the answer to it.

Claire considered Bao's question out loud. There were things that her Creator enjoyed and would be loathe to give up. "Sorin dresses well. He wouldn't be in anything less than custom tailored unless it was for a part. He would want to keep his hair looking perfect and his manicure....but I am sure in these things he could simply find some human to do them for him. Music though, and theater, those two he would have a hard time giving up even with someone hunting him."
Bao 13 years ago
"That does raise the likely hood this will touch him in some way."

Bao conceded. He did not think that Claire would appreciate false assurances, he wasn't good at making them any how. He was rather fascinated by the idea that Sorin was present for that. Bao would like to hear the man's impressions about the wolves. He didn't know if his experiences were normal or if he could improve his handling some how. But he had to get better results from her.

"Nor would he want you to act rashly."

Even without knowing Sorin Bao felt certain of that. After all, it was something he was trying to instill in his own daughter, and it was an uphill battle all the way.

Music didn't surprise Bao for some reason. And he thoughtfully considered this. The world of high caliber performers was not that big. This was something they could work with. It wouldn't be easy though.

"My eldest son, one of his familiars is a concert cellist. I believe she is touring through Europe right now but I could be mistaken. Regardless, perhaps we can use her to get a message to him."
Claire 13 years ago
"I suspect that he is still in Nachton. I don't know why but that is my belief. I should be able to check the local theaters here and perhaps leave him word. If I had his ability to command that would be more helpful. I suppose I shall simply have to trust the artists not betray him."

If Sorin got the message then certainly he would make sure that the person who gave it to him forgot the act. Unfortunately she could not be certain that the musicians respected her wishes and kept an eye out for him.

Bao made good sense. He seemed to possess plenty of it. Claire set the key down on the side table. She stood and straightened her skirts.

"You are right." She smiled softly.

Coming to stand beside his chair, Claire leaned down and placed her fingertips lightly on either side of his face. Blushing somewhat, she bent and gently kissed one cheek and then the other. She leaned back and regarded him with brown eyes that were calmer than they had been.

"Thank you. You bring me peace."
Bao 13 years ago
"I might be able to help you there."

Granted Mara was already a little concerned about him because of that ability. Then of course holding that she wolf against her will was not making him less of a target, but Bao refused to be worried right now. Everything he was doing was well under the radar after all. And it seemed like Claire did need some help. Although why he was even thinking about involving himself Bao wasn't certain.

He blinked a bit, taken aback by her minor display of affection. Of course, it was also a simply a cultural thing. In less than a second he'd latched on to that reason didn't bother to look for another.

"You are welcome. I didn't do more than help find answers you already knew but I should be happy to help again if you require."
Claire 13 years ago
"You have command?" Claire looked less than thrilled with this news. "Bao, please then, be careful." She looked down at her hands a moment before adding quietly.

"I would be most unhappy if anything were to happen to you."

His help with getting a secure message to Sorin would be invaluable. The risk however, outweighed the benefits, in her mind. "Perhaps it is too much to ask right now." She did not want to be the reason a killer's attention was drawn to him.

"Sometimes we need someone outside the tangle of our own thoughts to helpfully show us the exit." She smiled softly and shrugged her shoulders.
Bao 13 years ago
He was a little perplexed by her apparent concern. That was two now, Claire and Mara both, Mara's concern he understood Claire's was more... Perhaps that had not been a cultural thing after all. He looked at Claire again and his expression warmed very slightly.

"I shall be quite careful. I should not like for you to be upset."

That much was true, he'd followed her here, with some guidance, for the same reason.

He frowned a bit as she seemed to back off from the idea. Bao didn't like to see that, but he understood some of her reasoning.

"It is possible no news is good news. And of course, you can always change your mind at a later date."

Bao felt that perhaps he had overstayed his welcome. Claire seemed rather recovered and reasonable and that was his goal. He stood to excuse himself. In a rather unusual display he gently lifted her hand slightly before bowing over it and kissing it very lightly.

"I should be happy to assist you with such a dilemma at any time."
Claire 13 years ago
Claire gave him a relieved smile, happy that he said that he would be cautious. She would still worry about him and Sorin while this murderer was loose but she felt a little better knowing that Bao had been advised of the danger before he could come to someone's attention.

"Merci beaucoup encore."

She blushed a deep shade of pink when he bowed and kissed her hand lightly. Certainly more than she had during her own display of affection; Claire supposed as the doer of such things one was more prepared. She favored Bao with a small curtsy and a pleased smile.

"While it pains me to put you into further danger, it may come to that. I will see if I can't find him through more traditional means first. Perusing the local theater schedules is bound to give me some ideas of what he wouldn't be able to resist."

Claire knew Sorin's tastes in art and music nearly as well as he did. It should be an easy task to find ones that he would attend if he was still in Nachton.
Bao 13 years ago
Good manners dictated that he simply not notice the blush. Although, it was rather becoming.

Momentarily he thought about having his 'ward' assist Claire. But, especially given what Jin had said about command and the treaty Bao thought it might be better to keep that to himself. Still, perhaps the curator might find herself with another project.

"I am happy to assist in any way I can. I would be hurt if you did not ask should the need arise."

With a little bit of wonder Bao realized that he meant that. But he made a polite good bye and tactfully excused himself. It wouldn't be proper to remain too long after all.

((OOC... Bao out))
Claire 13 years ago
Claire smiled at Bao. He seemed to be genuine and not simply polite and that was touching.

"Je te promets."

She walked with him to the door, closing it softly behind him. Claire glanced back at the key on her table. She would try finding her through other means first. Perhaps the local opera was a good place to start or some of the symphonies. Feeling better, Claire resolved to look immediately. Blowing out the lanterns, she headed for the front of the Manor to where she might find a newspaper or at least a member of the staff.

((OOC: Claire out ))