I.O.U. (attn: Jin)

Amir felt the weight of the two swords hanging from his hip as he bore them comfortably through the halls of the Manor. A simple question had yielded a simple answer and he found Jin in one of the several studies, looking at a stack of files.

Amir was historically no good at expressing gratitude. The words, "thank you" did not pass his lips often. He was aware that pride was a pitfall for him but there were ways around it. There were manners in which one could express thanks and gratitude without two pointless words which wouldn't help, anyway. Actions spoke louder than anything else.

He didn't knock on the door of the study; it was open already and he assumed that meant Jin wouldn't object to having someone else there. Entering quietly Amir approached the table Jin sat at. He removed the higher up of the two swords on his belt, the noise obvious in the quiet of the room. It was a kilij, much like his beloved favorite but not that particular sword. To offer his best weapon would have been an insult. Amir needed it in order to do his best work.

The weapon he held was his second best, a beautifully worked item honed to a deadly sharp edge, Arabic engravings along the length of the blade above the blood groove. The hilt was simple leather-bound wood and had been redone many times over the years as Amir had used this sword frequently.

Pulling it from its similarly scroll-worked scabbard, Amir placed the scabbard on the table in front of Jin and then gently rested the naked blade upon it, careful not to disturb the Nightsman's work.

It was a very old tradition, an acknowledgment of a favor owed. Presenting it thus meant it was of a personal nature. Amir was always available for any task his Order set to him but this was well outside the realm of Clan business. Jin had been there for Mara when Amir was not, and the idea that Amir had failed her burned at him. In spite of his measures to push her away and keep her from him in order to be sure she was safe, this had happened. And if Jin had not been present Amir could only guess how much worse it could have gone.

Having offered his second-best blade to Jin Amir bowed deeply and waited.

Jin 13 years ago
Jin looked up as Amir entered. He watched him carefully set the blade on the table; the manner was unmistakable, its meaning clear. Jin's thoughts were a tumbled mess; the diplomate and humble man warred with each other. He did not deserve the honor that Amir was according him but would he have felt differently had Sorcha been attacked? It would be rude to deny the gratitude, however misplaced, that Amir was expressing. Ultimately politeness won the battle with guilt.

With a sigh, he put his hand on the hilt of the blade. "I wish only that I could have sparred her any harm at all." Picking it up, Jin slid it back into its scabbard. He rose and bowed to Amir. "You honor me. I am not sure that I deserve it but I am moved."

He gestured to one of the other seats in the room. "Know that I would protect her with my last breath." Not that his defense had amounted for much; he suspected his willingness to do so was still at least some consolation. Jin resolved to be ready the next time. He had not been aware that there were those seeking to harm Mara, or Amir through Mara. Now he did. There would be no more 'friends' needing to speak alone while he was there. They would just have to accept his unmoving presence. Jin doubted that tactic would again; he would just have to be vigilant for the next one.

((OOC: He had more he was going to say and typically decided to wait until it was 'more appropriate' (his words) So this is short.)
Amir 13 years ago
When Jin put his hand upon the hilt of the kilij and picked it up, Amir straightened. He heard Jin's sigh and furrowed his brow slightly. The Nightsman's words caused him some worry, although his promise of protection seemed rather heartfelt.

"I fail to see how you could be undeserving," he pressed slightly. Was Jin's version of the story different from Mara's? Amir had just come from a short meeting with his eldest. She had been predictably close-mouthed about the entire event, saying only that Jin had saved her.

Moving over to the seat Jin indicated Amir stood there, arms crossed, but did not sit immediately.
"Mara seems to think you saved her life. I'm not in the habit of questioning her opinion, as it has in the past proven more reliable than my own."

There was a lot more truth to that statement than Amir cared to admit. While he wouldn't deny Mara's feelings had likely influenced that particular statement, he also knew she wasn't prone to much if any exaggeration. At any rate it didn't change the fact that Jin had been there when Amir had not and he had clearly done what he could.
Jin 13 years ago
Jin regarded the blade in his hands after Amir explained what Mara had told him. "She said the same thing to me as well."

He looked up at her Creator and shrugged sadly. "I suppose I shouldn't argue with her; she might be right. Its just..." Jin sighed and tried to explain how he felt. "I wish I could have done more. I couldn't even get to her."

There were two people keeping him from Mara but he felt that was beside the point. Jin wondered what she had told Amir. He also worried that she might think that he had not kept the secret as he had promised. Did her Creator explain how he came by his information? The how he came by the knowledge was hardly as important as what happened or that it was kept from him. Mara still might have asked but what if she hadn't? Anxiety growing, Jin resolved to go find her right after he spoke with Amir.

"I don't know how bad it would have been had I not been there. I only know that I wish that it hadn't happened at all or that I could have spared her any of it."

It was in the past and he needed to stop worrying over it. It would be more productive to think about the future. He looked at Amir.
"Why did they attack her? Who sent them?"
Amir 13 years ago
"Well, at least she's consistent," Amir said with a half-smile. He nodded at Jin's words; he understood how he felt. Perhaps more than Jin realized, for, Amir thought again with some bitterness, at least Jin had been there. Amir had been gone.

"Couldn't get to her maybe," he said, "but you also didn't leave." It didn't need to be said that the Nightsman would have had ample opportunity to do so and Amir didn't mean to imply Jin would have run out of cowardice, but Jin was not an easy man to hold down in one spot. He could have tried to go for backup, which to Mara would have been the same thing as being abandoned.

"There are worse things, to Mara, than death," Amir pointed out. Mara's statement that Jin had saved her life had likely been interpreted two different ways. Amir didn't kow exactly how much time they had spent together, if Jin knew the details of Mara's past or the things that truly caused her fear.

He nodded again.
"They would have held her," he said. "Drained her. Left her weakened and let her fend for herself." That was their way. That was how they intimidated.

He didn't voice the fact that his wishes matched Jin's. It was surely understood; Jin had Sorcha. To give voice to his own feelings on the matter was almost like playing the one-up game. Amir simply made a noise of agreement.

"They attacked her to injure me," he said with a growl. "It wasn't Mara's fault."

Before answering the other half of Jin's question Amir said, "How did they keep her from running though?"

Mara's instincts were to flee before fighting. How Connor and his team had gotten close to her was understandable; Mara did know them. But how had they kept her there when it became obvious what their intentions were? Mara was a skilled fighter; Amir had seen to her training himself. She was adept at breaking holds in particular, something they had focused on given her fears and her own abilities. Fight if you must, but when you have the choice, break free and run.

Amir finally addressed the second half of Jin's query.
"Someone I knew once," he said with a frown. "And now it seems that Mara, and you, have paid the price for that association. I will fix that."

What came next, though? For Jin, for Mara? That Mara cared for Jin was obvious to Amir, but did Jin return the feeling? Amir knew him to be an honorable man but such people could use manners as a shield to hide what was beneath and Amir didn't know Jin well enough for that.

"I can't say it won't happen again," Amir said intensely. "Jin... she trusts you. That doesn't come easily to her. It isn't fair to you to expect you to go through that again, but I have to know. Would you? What is she to you?"

Amir supposed he had to get out his shotgun at some point. He didn't particularly want to couch his question in those terms but he needed to know if Mara was in danger from more than one source. If Jin didn't want to be involved in this, if his feelings for Mara were not the right ones, he could injure her as surely as Cahyo and Connor.

His voice wasn't accusatory; on the contrary, Amir found he couldn't object in the slightest if Mara and Jin gravitated toward each other. But Mara was his, after all, and he had been looking after her welfare for hundreds of years. He hoped that Jin would understand the source of his concerns. Mara didn't require Amir's approval to see anyone. But Amir would be damned if he wasn't going to keep an eye out for her just the same.
Jin 13 years ago
Jin nodded, understanding what Amir was trying to convey without having to put such a thing into harsh words. Leaving Mara, even to go for help, never crossed his mind. He wondered why now but he figured that she would have been dead before he could get back with any sort aid. Cahyo had nearly killed her by himself; how much faster would that have gone with help?

Amir stated that the attack had been to cause him pain. It was as Jin had suspected based on what had been said by the men and later by Mara. The Huntsman asked how they kept Mara from running. Jin thought back to that, closing his eyes and dredging up the details.

"Command." He remembered when Mara had first tried to escape. Cahyo's words came back to him then. "He commanded her to shift back when she got loose."

Jin noticed that Amir did not name the person that was responsible for this. There was, as far as he could tell, very little reason not to be forthcoming with the information at this point. It might require some digging but he would find out; this associate was a threat to Mara and her family.

He looked up when Amir asked if he would go through the same thing again.
"I would." How could he explain what Mara meant to him for her Creator when he hadn't fully explained it to Mara, herself? Jin sighed; waxing poetic about her numerous virtues did not answer the question. Simple honesty was the best answer; he confessed.

"I love her."
Amir 13 years ago
Amir frowned at Jin's response. Command. He was really really starting to detest this ability, regardless of how applicable he found it, himself. "But she did get loose," he said with a grim smile. He nodded his head once, shortly. They would work on the Command thing. Mara needed to learn to fight against it, obviously, and his never having focused on it before was a lack on his part. There were ways to fight against it; if only he'd known them himself, when he was newly-turned. He knew them now though, and Mara would have to learn.

When Jin answered him quickly, without mincing words, Amir wasn't surprised. Jin was a good man. If he had any affection for Mara whatsoever he'd have said what he did regarding repetition of that experience. It was what came next that made Amir look closely at him, sharply, the intensity not having faded.

He rocked back on his heels slightly, raising his brows at Jin. He didn't see any hesitance, reluctance, or anything that indicated Jin felt any differently then what he'd just confessed.

"Love, huh?"

He sat, finally, on the edge of the chair he'd been standing in front of, elbows on his knees, head bent thoughtfully down. He waited a few moments and then looked up at Jin.

"I can't promise it won't happen again but I'll do my best to help you out."

He didn't address the topic of Jin's feelings further. He trusted Jin; he and Mara would have to work out the details of their relationship in their own way. If Jin said he loved Mara, Amir believed that was plenty of motivation for Jin to stay with her, to try not to hurt her and, yes, to keep her out of danger at least in that regard.
Jin 13 years ago
"Yes, she did." It was a considerable feat; she was a remarkable person. Jin was not surprised that she had the force of will to eventually break the compulsion. Command was potent, even when hastily done and against the person's nature. It could be fought off or gone around but either way takes mental strength and a level head.

He merely nodded to Amir's question. His response, the one he had yet to confess to Mara, did not need to be repeated. Jin had meant what he said. His feelings made everything else clear. Would he risk being attacked again? Yes. Would he stay by her side for as long as she let him? Yes. Would he abandon her? No.

"Thank you. If you need my help in this then you have it."

Likely whether Amir wanted it or not. He figured that part of what he was saying was best left for a different time. Preferably after he knew what was going on here.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir's eyes glittered with fierce pride. He had been remiss in not focusing on that skill with Mara but Jin claimed she'd done it. He would reinforce it while he could.

Jin's offer chilled him though. Help him? Yes, he desperately needed help. But he could neither ask for it nor tell Jin what was happening, what had been going on that he was only just now beginning to fathom.

He leaned forward slightly.
"Jin," he said softly, "Trust me when I tell you you cannot help. The best thing you could do would be to keep Mara away from me."

It was the thing he least wanted in the world. When Mara was nearby, he remembered who he was. He felt it to a lesser extent with Bao, but mostly it was Mara who kept him focused on where he needed to be.

Removing Subira from any equation would be nearly impossible. Not only was he her child, but she was also a very capable Hunt leader. Twisted and unstable, yes, but since when in their long lives did that make any of them unsuitable for their position? It was up to Amir to figure out how to free himself from this compulsion. Given the choice he'd have locked himself away in a cell for weeks and done it like an addict going through withdrawal, but Subira had long ago seen that option and put barriers in place to guard against it.

He hoped Jin and Mara did not latch onto that option, because Amir also know he would be compelled to resist. He wasn't sure he could break free of it either.

"Please," he said, frustration and pain evident in his voice as he thrust the unfamiliar word past his lips. "Don't pursue that course. And don't let Mara, either."

What he really should do was go away but he couldn't; not while Subira ordered him to remain in Nachton. Jin had work here too; he couldn't leave. And Amir knew without a shadow of a doubt that if either one of them was here, Mara wouldn't go anywhere.

He shook his head, unable to say anything further.
"Just love her," he said. "If that's what's in your heart."

Amir couldn't see much of a way out except to give up the freedom he'd just begun to fight for. A vice tightened around his chest at the thought. But if he did exactly what his Creator wished, if he just gave up the fight entirely, she might leave Mara alone.
Jin 13 years ago
Jin heard Amir and considered what the man was saying. He didn't promise to abide by it but he did give it some thought. Mara was likely to do her own thing and he doubted he could convince her not to pursue the situation when she believed that her Creator was in some sort of trouble. He couldn't imagine leaving something alone if Mai were in danger The only thing he could promise was to try keep her safe, hoping that she would not try and solve this problem on her own.

He nodded.

"You know that if she believes, and it appears rightly so, that you are in trouble then she isn't going to leave things alone."

Jin sympathized with Amir's desire to keep Mara safe at all costs. If it were simply himself he would honor the request and leave Amir to deal with it if that was his wish but if Mara would not let it go then he would not stop her. He was not even sure he would have any say.

"I can only try."

To keep her safe, to do as Amir asked, to love her. Jin would could only try.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir bent his head once more, pinching the bridge of his nose and sighing. "Yeah. I know."

Then he raised his head, his face shifting into one of careless abandon. "Well. I'm always in some kind of trouble." He forced a quick, jackal-like grin at Jin. "I imagine she's used to it by now."

He'd have to be careful. It always came down to that. Amir wasn't sure what, if anything, he could hide from his eldest but he had to try in this case. Diverting her had helped for a while. He was sure she and Bao would continue to provide information for him as they had been doing. Limiting Mara to doing only that would be the trouble, really.

The only permanent solution was to solve this himself one way or another. There had to be a way. Amir was very well aware that between his own Creator, the wolves, and whatever danger Mai had warned him of, he was walking a finer and finer line. It was only a matter of time before the percentages caught up with him and one or the other of them pinned him down.

It was a macabre thought, but which would he prefer, if he could choose?

That thought gave him an idea. A small one. More like a seed of one. Or a glimmer. Amir shook his head at Jin, another small smile passing quickly over his face.
"You will be good for her," he said. "I've seen what happens when you try."

And he had. He might not know Jin horribly well but he'd worked with him enough times to know that when the Nightsman set himself to a task he went at it with determination and dedication. If he applied half as much of that to loving Mara, she would be in very good hands.

He stood, dropping his hand briefly to Jin's shoulder.
"And I know Mara's heart isn't easily touched. She won't let you down either."

Mara was just as dedicated; if she accepted Jin, she would be true to him and unwavering in her loyalty. Jin was good for Mara, but the reverse might well be true too. Amir quailed inside with the outward show of support but he crushed the feeling and shoved it aside.

If he was on the right track here, he'd be breaking a promise to Mara very shortly, and she would need Jin. But ultimately, Amir had to look out for her. And that meant he might have to hurt her first.

With a final nod, Amir lifted his hand from Jin's shoulder and left the room.

((ooc: Amir out))
Jin 13 years ago
Jin chuckled at Amir's comment about his trouble making ways. "Oh, good, then mine won't come as too much of a surprise." He and Mara had already had their share of mishap and they had only been out a few times. Ironically none of the trouble had been Order related but at least Mara would understand those risks as well.

He looked up at Amir and nodded at the praise he had been given.
"You have my word." Jin wondered what the man had seen of him that warranted such a compliment. Was it the pacing, the obsessing, the sleepless days, the rapid changing of plans as new information required fast thinking or all of the above?

Jin smiled at Amir and agreed.
"I know she won't." She had claimed that she was not dangerous to him; he had faith in her.

((OOC: The overly chatty Jin is also out. O_o ))