Not Exactly Roughing It (open)

A quick stop at the towers had Eiryk now in hiking boots, jeans, a long sleeved shirt and a hoodie. On him, however, it was not a sloppy slacker look While changing he'd 'subtly' pointed out the space Alex's things had been and that there was still room and dropped a hint or two that he could make more room. Just because he respected Alex's decision to stand on his own two feet didn't mean he couldn't try and persuade him.

Pulling in the parking lot, which was deserted, after all who went hiking in the middle of the night in January? It was dark -and- cold. Well crazier things had happened but neither of them thought it would be crowded.

Locking the car Eiryk ambled over to a sign, after tripping over the curb.

"Apparently there are two trail heads here; a beginner that has some solar powered lighting in spots and an intermediate with very little lighting and more inclines and a greater elevation changes. Which do you think?"

It wasn't like they were in the Appalachians so Eiryk didn't think the elevation changes would be much to write home about.

"They must both be circles as they end here too. At least we won't have to go looking for the car after."

Alex Aristos 13 years ago
Alex glanced at the sign Eiryk indicated; he'd actually been over these trails more than once since arriving in Nachton. He shrugged and smiled. "It doesn't matter much, but less lighting sounds appealing. Neither trail is exactly difficult."

Particularly not for Eiryk, he imagined, who'd demonstrated supernatural resilience on more than one occasion. Alex certainly wasn't going to have any problem with either of their choices.

"Let's take the harder one." His voice was tinged with amusement at the classification of the trails. "Someday we're really going to have to go hiking."

There were some great hikes around Nachton; just not so much in Nachton. Alex would love to do those with Eiryk too, but some of them might require a little bit of stealth as he was pretty sure the parks they were located in were supposedly closed after dusk.

He slipped his hand into Eiryk's and tugged gently to get his boyfriend moving; Alex wasn't worried about signs. There was no place horribly dangerous that he'd yet to find in the Park and the trails were all pretty well kept. It was quiet out tonight; chilly, crisp, and enjoyable. Alex didn't mind the cold although Eiryk seemed to think he was frail and would randomly catch pneumonia and die for shits and giggles.

"Camping too," he added thoughtfully. There had to be ways to make that possible. Now that he knew Eiryk's hesitations weren't because he wasn't interested, Alex was all about discovering ways around the whole 'burning in sunlight' thing.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Mood lighting and seclusion? Are you trying to seduce me?"

Eiryk teased as he let Alex tug him along to at least get them started. He trusted Alex's assessment of the trails, and even if one had said 'extremely wickedly difficult' he would have been OK with it. At least if that is what his boyfriend wanted.

The first part of the trail was almost smooth and level, apparently the intermediate and beginner trails over lapped some and this was intended as a warm up. Good thing too as Eiryk was a bit distracted by Alex's planning.

"I wouldn't mind going out hiking. We just have to plan a head a bit. Full moon, lanterns and all that but... camping?"

It made him nervous. Eiryk had seen modern tents, they weren't exactly light proof. Granted they didn't weight a hundred pounds and require a pack mule but all things considered he would rather have the pack mule.

"Unless you are planning on camping in Alaska or Sweden or some place with six months of night... well I prefer to roast marshmallows rather than myself. I burn something terrible."

He grinned. It was odd that Eiryk was able to joke about this. After all the trunk of his car was big enough for him to crawl into for a reason. But Alex had already seen him roast once and had gone out of his way to make his apartment vampire safe without him having said anything. If he hadn't trusted Alex before, he absolutely did now.
Alex grinned at Eiryk. "Try is kind of an overstatement isn't it?" He couldn't recall the last time he'd had to put any effort into getting Eiryk into bed. In fact, he'd never actually had to. In fact, time was when it was the other way around.

To prove his point he tugged Eiryk's hand, dragged him over to the side of the trail, and kissed him soundly.
"See? Very little effort involved. The real trick is getting to third base without being caught."

He shot Eiryk a slightly wicked grin, definitely a little out of character for him, but Alex was in a good mood. In spite of financial stress he was happy with the changes he was making, glad to know what was really beneath Eiryk's apparently flaky exterior, and happy with knowing where the boundaries were.

He let Eiryk go and continued walking, glancing at Eiryk when he caught up.
"Camping," Alex confirmed. "Come on, you can't tell me that in twelve kabillion years or however long you've been around, you had a house every time the sun came up, and the windows were conveniently covered with blackout shades. At some point you must have had to camp."

Alex looked at Eiryk, who looked genuinely nervous. "Hey, don't worry," he said. "Maybe the alternative is we save up and buy an RV or something."

Alex was determined to make the camping thing work. It might take several years to be able to afford a few of the things that would help, but he wasn't daunted by the prospect of working and saving.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"I am -not- that easy." Eiryk said adamantly, paused and thought about it for a second, "Am I?"

He didn't have time to ponder that question too long before Alex drug him around and they had a little tiny make out session. Mood suddenly improved, not that it had been bad, Eiryk happily trotted into a bush then back onto the trail and after Alex.

"Oh I think we can figure something out, don't you?"

He rolled his eyes at that assumption of his age. After all, he'd told Alex how old he was.

"You know it is bad enough I'm robbing the cradle can we not exaggerate it."

But it was all said in a teasing manner and good fun.

It was hard to snuggle and walk, and given his trouble walking Eiryk opted to save the snuggling for later. He frowned a bit and tried to consider the camping thing. He really didn't want to disappoint Alex, there had to be a way to do this.

"Well..." He said thoughtfully, "Tents used to be a little bit more like a house. It was possible to stay in the dark in one. Other than that there was a lot of planning a head. I wasn't always the easiest passenger to have along on a journey."

Alex hadn't asked too many questions about his past or about the whole vampire thing so Eiryk was hoping to encourage him a little bit. The last thing he wanted was for Alex to repress or go into denial or some other sort of psycho babble thing.

Oh and RV. Eiryk perked up considerably.

"We can get one of those. Seems like cheating but it is a good plan B. Why don't we rent one and test it out?"

Although he'd be just as happy going shopping right now and having it delivered ASAP. Where did one keep an RV Eiryk wondered.
"Not for a moment," Alex lied cheerfully. Who was Eiryk trying to kid? His favorite activity was screwing. Second to that, it was necking. And after that, making out in general. Now, he probably wasn't easy - for anyone else. But Alex thought he had a pretty strong sex drive for a guy who claimed to be dead.

They continued to walk, Alex shooting Eiryk a curious glance as he described tent living. It was still sort of difficult for Alex to believe that Eiryk was really as old as he said. It wasn't that he didn't believe him... he just... didn't look or act the way a twelve hundred year old undead Viking should. Not that Alex had met a wide range. But, in his defense, it was sort of difficult to handle on a strictly conceptual level.

"It's only cheating until we've tried all the other options," Alex said. "We can give it a shot. Even with the RV we'll have to make sure everything's covered up pretty well for you."
Eiryk 13 years ago
"You are cute when you lie to me. You know that right? "

He said with a little teasing grin. And it was true, at least about little things (he'd hate it if Alex were to actually lie to him). And of course, in Eiryk's opinion, Alex was cute all the time. But he wasn't going to go into that.

They started up an incline, a steep but short hill and the trail was less groomed, rocky and uneven, Eiryk had to think about what he was doing, and even then he stumbled forward once only barley managing to catch himself.

It was hard not to notice that Alex was avoiding the elephant in the room, or the vampire on the trail how ever you wanted to call it. Once they'd finished that little section Eiryk opted to push his lover just a little.

"Oh don't worry about it. We can do the whole sleeping in a coffin thing. You're alright with that aren't you? "

Because -of course- Alex would be sleeping with him, that wasn't an option. Eiryk just hoped the cliche would get Alex talking a little.
Alex smiled at Eiryk. "You're cute when you're easy. So we're even."

They made the short climb quickly, Alex keeping an eye on Eiryk. Vampire or not it was still easy to turn an ankle on some of the rocks here and no matter how he was made, Eiryk could still break things. Sure it'd be better ridiculously fast, as Eiryk had proven on several occasions, but Alex didn't want their hike terminated before its time.

He chuckled at the idea of sleeping in a coffin, but shook his head.
"No way."

Eiryk was aware of his particular reluctance to be in total darkness. He reconsidered though.
"If we have a light in there, maybe. But that'd make it crowded. So I'll leave the coffin to you and I'll take the bed."

Eiryk clearly wanted to discuss the whole vampire thing. Alex was more than willing to pretend it didn't exist. What did it matter, really? It didn't change the dynamic between them. Except for the tiny fact that Alex, apparently, would grow old and die long before Eiryk thought about blinking. Of all the things Eiryk had told him thus far, that one disturbed Alex the most.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"We'll get some glow sticks."

Eiryk protested and then started to think about how this would actually work. And if things got intimate, which they often did it just wouldn't work. He shook his head sadly.

"Not enough room in a coffin, you're right. Besides, I like my bed."

It gave the plenty of room to maneuver when they needed it and was just the right amount of soft when they didn't. And Alex wanted to give that up and sleep on the ground apparently. He'd do it and probably enjoy it, once they worked out this sunlight thing but it was a good bed.

He thought about 'suggesting' that Alex talk about this whole vampire thing, but almost immediately rejected that idea. That wasn't how Eiryk wanted this relationship to be. Alex was his friend, his lover, his partner not a play thing. Maybe if this had been a fling, but it wasn't.

"It is OK to ask... to talk about it... if you want."

Eiryk said softly. He wasn't really pushing just reminding Alex that the door was open when ever he wanted.
Alex laughed softly at Eiryk. "Yeah I like your bed too. Soon as I can get one like it I will. Course, it had better come with you in it."

The trail had leveled out so Alex grabbed Eiryk's hand and held it while they walked; the trails were taken care of pretty well and even the bits that required a little bit of climbing had paths around them for those who weren't up to even that slight challenge, or who were on bikes or horseback.

He turned to Eiryk at his next soft words and then turned away again, looking at the trail in front of them.

"Don't have any questions," he said a little tersely. "I get the gist of it."

Alexander was completely fine with ignoring the topic. If Eiryk insisted on talking, fine, he'd cross that bridge when they came to it.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"I'll be there, wrapped up with a bow."

He leered at Alex enjoying this play.

"Until then though how about I just share mine with you?"

Eiryk frowned as Alex turned away and shut the topic down. He worried if maybe this whole revelation was too much for Alex. If he'd some how hurt him by being a vampire. There wasn't any way to know if Alex was thinking about calling the whole thing off.

OK to be fair that was Eiryk's own fear. Alex was buying curtains and rearranging furniture. Eiryk tried to understand, it was a bit thing to take in and sure somethings didn't change but somethings did. Still he was a little hurt by Alex's tone.

"OK.. OK forget I said anything. Just, like I said... you can ask... if you want."
"We could forego the bow," Alex suggested to Eiryk. "Buck naked works for me."

At the offer to share he pulled Eiryk off to the side of the trail and kissed him again.
"You are very good at sharing," he said. "That sounds like a deal to me. For now."

He blinked at Eiryk's tone of voice, taken aback at the fact that apparently Eiryk was somewhat sensitive about being a vampire. Was that it? Dracula didn't seem sensitive about it. He squeezed Eiryk's hand.

"Look, do you want to talk about it?" he asked. "Are there things you want to tell me? Because it doesn't matter to me who or what you are. You're the person I love and that will do."

He didn't mention that by neglecting to tell him what he was, Eiryk had pretty much robbed him of the ability to make up his mind on the matter. He'd found out what Eiryk was well after he'd fallen in love with him. And even though he'd pondered it long and hard, Alex was sure there was no going back.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Tell me you're being figurative and don't expect me to wear antlers."

Eiryk had always wondered where that expression had come from. Sure bucks didn't wear a lot of cloths but why buck naked? Not doe or fawn or some other animal all together.

He smiled as Alex squeezed his hand. That made him feel a little better. He sighed thoughtfully, walked into a low hanging tree branch and got knocked on his ass. It didn't break his concentration though, he just looked up at Alex.

"Honestly I don't know. I can't remember the last time I told a human what I was. It is a bit... unsettling you don't have... well..."

Eiryk shrugged and picked himself up. He wasn't sure what he had expected from Alex. Tons of questions, he'd expected that. He'd worried that Alex would totally shy away from him, leave him even, this stoic acceptance was not one of the options Eiryk had prepared for.

"I love you too. I want you to be comfortable with this. It is what I am, who I am and you shouldn't think I'm hiding it from you."
Alex rolled his eyes and shook his head at Eiryk. "None necessary," he said with a smile.

As Eiryk managed to clothesline himself on a tree branch Alex instinctively reached up and grabbed it as it snapped back so it wouldn't hit either of them again. He looked down at Eiryk with a sigh. Really. Vampires weren't supposed to be clumsy. He hadn't read a lot of literature on the topic but they were almost all universally graceful and agile and such.

Alex frowned down at Eiryk, not sure he liked be classified as "a human" when it seemed to him that being "human" was as much a mental condition than an actual biological label. He didn't like having their differences pointed out so clearly. While he pondered that, Eiryk picked himself up and they continued on as if nothing had happened.

"Unsettling I don't have what?" He asked. Stopping once again he placed his hands on Eiryk's shoulders and looked into his bright blue eyes. "Eiryk, what is it you're afraid of?"

Alex was getting pretty good at reading Eiryk and this was not normal for him. Funny how, when he'd been concealing what he was, he was glib and cheerful and slick. And now that there was truth between them Eiryk seemed uncertain and somewhat timid. Alex didn't like those traits in Eiryk. They seemed very out of place in him.

"How can you expect me to be... comfortable with it, when you've just informed me that you're going to outlive me by centuries?"

Alex shrugged. "Don't you think I wanted to find someone to grow old with just like everyone else? And now... I'm going to be experimenting with denture cream and Depends while you're still," he gestured at Eiryk, head to toe, "you."

He shook his head. "It's okay," he said. "I think what you are, whatever you are, is exactly what I want. I wasn't expecting this, but life never gives us what we expect."

No one knew that lesson better than Alex. He tried very hard to accept people as they were. Look at what his family had done to him, was still doing to him. He was trying his hardest not to inflict that same pain upon Eiryk. Because truly, whatever or whoever Eiryk was, he was still that person Alex loved.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Questions." Eiryk said simply. "Not that I've given vampire 101 to a lot of people but no matter how accepting they are most people have questions."

What was he afraid of? Eiryk pondered that for a second not shying away from Alexander's gaze for a second.

"I'm worried for you. I'm concerned that you're so determined to be all right with this that you'll let some little worry, a little bit of resentment build until it just blows up and takes us both out. And I'm not willing to lose you over this."

That was fair and Eiryk only nodded. He tried to figure out a good way to answer that issue but, he couldn't change what he was. He considered offering to turn Alex, but held back. It was way too soon. He might allude to it though.

"If I could find away to grow old with you I'd do it. But if it hasn't happened in twelve hundred years, it isn't going to."

Eiryk had never had a lover he'd wished for that. Either they were humans and a fling, or even for a few years, or they were vampires who didn't age and you could go back to and they hadn't changed at all.

"No, no it doesn't. You know this wasn't something I planned on either, I wasn't exactly asked."

He and Alex had never discussed the how, just the what, and it was as close to hinting that Alex didn't have to stay human as Eiryk was willing to get tonight.
Alex gave a dry little laugh at Eiryk's words. "You're worried for me?" He shook his head. "That's ironic. You're the one I worry for." Alex tilted his head at Eiryk's face, normally cheerful, now very solemn.

"So you made it through twelve hundred years," he said. "How many more hundreds until you start losing yourself? How long do you exist before it all becomes pointless and repetitive? Are you even the same person now that you were back then?"

He wasn't criticizing. His voice was gentle. "I wouldn't trade places with you for any money," Alex said seriously to Eiryk. "I love you, but at least I have the comfort of knowing that when I die you'll still go on. How does it feel to you, knowing I'm only here for a few heartbeats? Am I just one in a number of lovers, or will you hurt forever when I die?" He shook his head, concerned. "How many times can you lose the people you care about before you decide it's best not to care at all?"

Alex believed Eiryk when he said he loved him. Eiryk wasn't much of a liar, in spite of having hidden this particular truth. So how did it feel to him, to know he was going to lose Alex no matter what he did?

"I wish you could grow old with me too," Alex said. "I guess it's not going to happen though. We'll just have to make the best of what we've got."

He wasn't sure how long this would last. Alex didn't really know if he wanted Eiryk around when he did reach a point at which he realized he was old. Too old to be the lover of an eternally young man. He couldn't even envision that point.

"I guess I don't have questions because I figure I'll learn it as we go," he said. "As long as you aren't hiding anything from me anymore. Just tell me what you want. I trust you."

He had to, after all. Alex didn't have anyone else and he really didn't want anyone else.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Alex didn't know it but he'd touched on some of Eiryk's deepest fears. Without thinking about it he reached for a length of cord he always kept in his pockets and started tying it in knots. Complicated knots, sailors knots, as soon as the cord looked like his thoughts Eiryk would start untying it and then start over with different knots.

"It isn't going to catch up with me. Not like that." Eiryk said with grim determination. "Why do you think that the now is so important."

He couldn't claim to be the exact same person who'd handled a boat, who Angus had turned, who'd tried to be a farmer in Minnesota, but he was still himself. He hadn't gotten lost, just evolved.

"No you are not just one of many. Never. I love you. You are so very special."

Eiryk shook his head, he didn't even want to think about that. He wouldn't let himself get numb. He'd rather live with the pain of Alex's death every day for the rest of his life than not feeling anything at all. And it would hurt, he knew that. But it didn't mean he wasn't going to try.

That was easy for Alex to say. And the way he said it, well, Eiryk was still worried that the other man would just walk away. Love got you through a lot, but it wasn't always equipped to deal with near mortality.

"I guess we have to."

Still absently tying knots he half grinned.

"I'm not hiding anything. The only thing I really want is you."
Alex watched Eiryk tie knots, knowing it was something his boyfriend did when nervous or upset or otherwise unsettled. Now that he knew why that was it made a lot more sense. Obviously the topic of his own immortality was upsetting to Eiryk. It was plain to Alex that the idea of losing himself upset him as well.

Alex smiled grimly at Eiryk and shook his head.
"I'm not special," he said, not really driven to it because of any sort of modesty. Really, he was just more aware of how many people existed in this world. How many "special" people could have found themselves with Eiryk and had an impact on him. How many still could when Alex was gone. Oh, he was happy to be one of them, he didn't deny that, but the truth of it was he was a heartbeat in the span of Eiryk's life, assuming everything Eiryk had told him was real and this wasn't some kind of unusual dream he had yet to wake up from.

He wouldn't say that to Eiryk though. It would only hurt his feelings. It was enough for Alex to recognize all of those facts and adjust to them. If Eiryk still missed him another twelve hundred years from now, well, then Alex would be glad that what they shared tonight and next month could keep him company when Alex himself was gone.

"All I want is you too, Eiryk," Alex said. He tugged Eiryk to the side of the trail once more, this time a little further off the trail, and leaned back against the sturdy trunk of a leafless tree. Pulling Eiryk against him he gently tugged the cord from his hands and tucked it back into Eiryk's pocket. "For however long I get you."

Wrapping his arms around Eiryk, Alex lowered his head and kissed him gently. There would be no resentment on his part; sure, he wasn't comfortable with the whole idea yet but it didn't change anything. Alex would adjust. He always did. Eiryk would, too. Alex was serious when he said he'd learn as they went. He didn't want to know everything all at once; some of it he wasn't sure he wanted to know at all.

He did feel sorry for Eiryk, more than anything. Who would ever ask to live forever? It was one of those speculative questions people always asked each other - if you could live forever, would you? Alex's answer, unsurprisingly, had always been no.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Yes you are."

Eiryk couldn't even begin to count the number of people he'd met over his life time. Most of them, he'd forgotten, sad but true. There were those that stood out and even within that group there were people, human and vampire, he knew he'd never forget. Alex was one of those. He just didn't know how to explain that.

Letting himself be pulled off the trail and into Alexander's arms Eiryk gave a passionate growl and threw everything he had into that kiss. He needed to taste every bit of Alex right now. Some day he might change his mind, he might not want Eiryk hanging about any more. It wouldn't be easy to explain a twenty something boyfriend when you were eighty. But he wasn't about to think about that right now.

Right now all he was really aware of was Alex, his smell, the feel of him, the strength of his arms the softness of his lips. If Alex didn't want to work out a life plan right now, Eiryk would let it go. At least for tonight. There was time to worry about the rest of it later.

"For as long as you want. Forever."

Eiryk only -just- came up for air long enough to say those few words. Alex was his and no one was going to take him away. Hell he wasn't going to let Alex walk away without a fight.
Alex held onto Eiryk, still feeling that strange mingled sorrow and denial for the fact that ultimately, it was Eiryk who lost and kept losing. There was a distinct hardness to his kiss; since telling Alex about what he was he had stopped trying to hide the fact that he had fangs. Alex wasn't quite used to it yet but he wasn't going to complain. He enjoyed Eiryk's kissing regardless of how hard or soft it was.

It was impossible not to notice his fangs now, however. Alex kissed Eiryk back as thoroughly as he knew how, wondering exactly whose 'forever' they were talking about. But there wasn't any point in discussing it further. Instead he finally pulled away and ran his thumb over Eiryk's upper lip, just brushing the tip of a fang. It was so sharp. How did they stay that way?

"Are you hungry?" he asked. If Eiryk really wanted questions, then there was one. He'd noticed Eiryk's fangs seemed to appear at certain times and he wasn't entirely sure they were related to a need for blood.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Softly very careful not to pierce the flesh Eiryk took Alexander's finger in his mouth, just for a second holding it with the tip of one of his fangs. But he didn't draw blood, not one single drop. After a moment he took Alex's hand in his lightly kissed that spot on his boy friends finger and simply held his hand. Eiryk turned so he was leaning half on Alex half on the tree.

"Not particularly. I had something a few nights ago."

There was a difference between being hungry and needing something to eat. Eiryk was old enough that the didn't have to feed often, and generally he was fairly conservative. But under the right circumstances he would bite when he didn't strictly need to after all you never knew when you might have to do with out for a while. Maybe judicious was a better word than conservative. Oh he'd look them up later.

"You didn't run out here without eating did you?"