Minor Adjustments (attn: Eiryk)

Alex looked around his newly-remodeled apartment. It hadn't changed very much but he hoped it would be a more Eiryk-friendly place after the events of last week. He'd just finished the last few changes now. Admittedly, it wasn't a lot. There were one or two things he thought Eiryk might like in particular but they weren't readily apparent.

For starters he'd moved his bed. He had what was apparently a very bad habit of getting up and opening the curtain first thing, which was what had led to his enlightenment in the first place. So now the bed was across the room, safely away from the window.

Every window now had a shade. There weren't many. Alex's apartment was pretty modest. There was the window in the bedroom at the back of the building, the set of big bay windows in the front, and a small window in the kitchen. Not only were there shades but Alex had discovered the wonders of blackout shades. It had been a minor investment but some things had to be done. He wanted Eiryk to be comfortable spending time at his place, having finally dealt with his self-consciousness about it.

In addition to the shades and the minor furniture adjustments there were new locks on the front door. The old ones were loose and could have been easily jimmied open; Alex hadn't bothered replacing them because anything of value in his building was located downstairs on he first floor. Now, however, he recognized with some remaining disbelief that there was likely to be, on occasion, a heavily sleeping vampire in his bed. Some things didn't change - no matter how quick, how strong, how - whatever, Eiryk was, he still slept like a fucking brick. Alex wasn't taking any chances with Eiryk's safety while he was away.

It was after dusk and he'd closed up his store. He hadn't seen Eiryk in a couple of days but he'd invited him over that night. It shouldn't be too long before he arrived.

Eiryk 13 years ago
He really hadn't liked this whole Alex moving out thing. He'd worried that meant they'd see less of each other and he'd been proven right. So Eiryk was quite excited about getting to see Alex tonight. It wasn't as good as waking up and having Alex right there, but he'd take what he could get.

Not wanting to miss anything Eiryk had set his alarm, and a back up, and a back up back up. He'd thought about calling Pak to wake him up, but that could get dangerous. So he'd decided to risk it. Of course, it hadn't been enough and he'd slept through all three and wound up a bit late. At least he didn't have to wait for the sun to go down. Dressed, he darted down to the studio and taken care of a couple of lose ends and happily started to Alex's building. All told it took about ninety minutes.

Parking he opened the door to the building and started upstairs. He got up to the second floor no problem and then tripped over, well, air and some how managed to fall up the stairs to the third floor, recovered climbed a bit more and the stumbled into Alex's apartment door. It was better than a knock.

"Hi honey I'm home!�

He called cheerfully.
Alex Aristos 13 years ago
As usual Alex heard Eiryk coming; no one could fall up a flight of stairs quite like Eiryk could. He wasn't sure if the thump on the door was meant to be a knock, or if it was simply a thump.

"It's open," he called.

As Eiryk came through Alex was caught up in a very enthusiastic hug and kiss which he returned to the best of his ability.
"Hi. I missed you too."

When they released each other Alex looked around the place, still aware that he had plenty to do to make it more appealing to Eiryk. Turning to the shorter blond, Alex reflected on the fact that Eiryk didn't seem much like a vampire to him. He was still working out the whole notion. Yeah, he got the whole burning in sunlight and drinking blood part. Alex wasn't going to deny what he'd seen with his own eyes.

But who ever heard of a vampire who fell up stairs, tripped on the invisible, and was genuinely funny, charming, and sweet? He didn't fit the mold, that was for sure. Alex didn't really know how to phrase those questions either, so for the time being they both had sort of mutually agreed to let sleeping dogs lie.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Open was good. He liked open, and didn't waste any time trotting in and getting a little lost in an Alex kiss. He didn't mind that kind of lost, especially as he hadn't seen his boyfriend in a few days. He'd offered to let Alex be a kept man before and been turned down, he just hoped Alex knew the offer stood.

"Oh... window treatments. Very nice did you hang them yourself?"

Of course the first thing Eiryk would notice, other than Alex, was a change to the décor, occupational hazard.

"They do make the space look taller and more finished. You should have said something I have a screw driver, I would have helped."

He said that with a little bit of a leer and/or double entendre but mostly serious.

It was curious to see that Alex had gone to the trouble of installing the curtains and chose to focus on that. It wasn't as if he was oblivious to the fact that Alex would have more than a fair few questions about this whole vampire thing. But, for a change, Eiryk wasn't pushing. So far it didn't seem to bother Alex and Eiryk had reasoned that the other man would ask when he was ready. So for now he was happy to enjoy Alex's company and not having that big secret between them.
"Here." Alex handed Eiryk a key, his eyes briefly flickering to the necklace Eiryk wore. He didn't always; since Alex had given it to him at Christmas Eiryk sometimes hung it around his neck and sometimes had it elsewhere. "For your key collection. I changed the lock to something sturdier. That way if you're in here sleeping they at least have to work to stake you."

He gave Eiryk an ironic little smile. "I moved the bed away from the wall too."

He paused for a moment; Eiryk might not like the next change. Since the water main break in his building Alex was perilously short on cash and pride refused to allow him to accept help. He didn't want it.

"I hired some help for the store too. Just a few hours a day, but... I can stay up a little later now."

Understanding why Eiryk couldn't be out during the day made all the difference to Alex. Having a reason behind it was important. Alex didn't mind anywhere near as much that Eiryk wouldn't come out with him when the sun was up, now that he knew why. It did make him sad to know that Eiryk would never do certain things with him, but Alex couldn't change what Eiryk was. Best to just work with the facts.

And the facts meant, if they wanted more time together, Alex simply had to adjust his schedule. The only way he could see to manage that was to hire a part time employee, someone who could open the store so Alex could get some much-needed sleep at some point. It wasn't ideal; he still couldn't spend the entire night with Eiryk unless it was Saturday. But it was better than missing days and potentially weeks at a time.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk chuckled as Alex more or less ignored his interest in the new curtains, but he took the key with a certain amount of glee. He hadn't asked for the key to his place back after Alex moved out and this made him happy. He immediately added it to his key ring. As he shoved the keys back in his pocket he looked up a bit startled at Alex. Is that what had inspired this?

He'd moved the bed too? Eiryk casually took a closer look at those curtains, black outs, he had them himself. Good lord Alex was going to a lot of trouble to make the place vampire friendly. Reaching up he smoothed back Alex's hair and lightly kissed his cheek.

"You didn't have to go to all this trouble. I'm tougher than I look and I'm not going any where."

But he loved him for it. It was just the sort of kind considerate sweet thing Alex would do. That bit about the part time help drew Eiryk up short. He what?! While Eiryk didn't know Alex's financial situation in detail he knew enough and was aware that this would be a strain on him. He couldn't let Alex do that.

"No. Alex, that is expensive. Taxes and wages and everything. I mean it is a good idea and all and lord knows I want the time with you but you can't. How are you supposed to get ahead if you're supporting some one else?"

See now Eiryk was going to worry and fuss. There was no good solution here though. Of course, Eiryk had more or less reluctantly accepted that he just wasn't going to get to see as much of his boyfriend and while he didn't like it that was the reality. Without centuries of investing and compound interest behind him Alex had to work. But why would he shoot himself in the foot that way?
"Yeah. I know you are. But you might be underestimating how heavily you sleep," Alex pointed out wryly. "I could bring the entire Nachton High School marching band through here and you wouldn't bat an eyelash. Besides, the lock is more for me than for you. I won't be able to get any work done if I don't feel like you're secure."

See, right there was exactly why Alex had just gone ahead and done what he wanted to do. "Too late, paperwork's done, tax forms are filled out, and she starts on Monday morning. She's a college kid. Goes afternoons and nights. She wanted a couple hours here and there, and it worked out fine. It's fifteen hours a week. Perfect for her and for me."

This point was non negotiable for Alex. "Compromise, remember? I can't be a total night owl for you but I can try and sit on the fence a little bit. It'll be fine. I had three new students sign up for tai chi this week."

Those three would pretty much cover his new hire's paycheck for a couple of months. Granted, he'd put health insurance on hold to hire her, but hey, he was usually pretty healthy anyway. Alex was optimistic about his future. He'd been doing well before the water leak; he'd pick it back up again no problem.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Oh the high school, the college, and probably a few elephants." Eiryk said with a grin before thoughtfully scratching his head. "You know I think that the elephants happened once. I promise to be safe though and if the locks help you then they help me."

Eiryk frowned. He was very tempted to point out this was not compromise. This was Alex over extending himself, which, as far as Eiryk was concerned was flat out wrong. He was the one who was in a position to bend his business hours and staffing. He had enough clients to keep a number of people busy and he could afford to pay them.

"I wouldn't say perfect."

He grumbled and moderately irritated flopped onto the sofa landing in an artistic sprawl. Although he was encouraged that at least Alex had some new students. Still...

"Are you sure I can't help? I mean there must be something. I could... buy a 5% share or something. At least you'd have some cash flow. You could buy me out once you'd caught up on all of this."

He'd rather just loan, or better yet, give Alex the money but there was no way that Alex would let him do that so Eiryk was trying to come up with something, anything that Alex -would- let him do to help.
Alex nodded at Eiryk. Yes, the locks helped. He felt much better about leaving Eiryk dead to the world while he went to work if there were far sturdier locks on the doors.

He raised his eyebrows at Eiryk's irritation, however. That wasn't the reaction he'd expected, exactly.
"How do you want it to be more perfect?" He asked with a slightly acid tone. "I'm doing my best, here."

Eiryk's offer, voiced somewhat petulantly from Alex's point of view, was immediately met with a frown.
"No. You can't," he said.

Alex waked over to the couch, lifted Eiryk's legs out of the way, sat down, and replaced Eiryk's legs on his lap.
"I would have had to do this eventually," he pointed out. "I could only go so long working the store and giving lessons by myself before I overdid it."

It was a lie meant to placate his boyfriend, who Alex realized was just worried for him and frustrated that Alex stood on pride and wouldn't accept help. Alex was something of a workhorse. He would happily have gone on working his ass off and having no life. It was kind of what he did.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk frowned as Alex got testy. He didn't like that, it upset him and besides he didn't want to fight. Not tonight, they didn't see each other enough to waste time like this.

"I know you are and it could be worse but..."

He sighed and gave up especially when Alex rebuffed his offer of help. It was so frustrating not being able to do anything. Well he could do something, but he wasn't being allowed to. Eiryk smiled weakly as Alex sat down and put his legs in his lap.

"Well you do tend to work to hard."

It was hollow and he recognized it as a way to placate him. He tried to let it work but it just didn't feel right and he wound up pouting a bit.

"What can I do to help? It isn't compromise if I don't do -something-."
Alex smiled and patted Eiryk's thigh soothingly. "Aren't you supposed to be working now?" He asked innocently. "And weren't you supposed to be working last Friday when we went out to dinner, and then saw that movie, and then, you know, back at your place."

He grinned at Eiryk. "That's compromise. You have more time off than God available to you and you're using it all on me. Least I can do is free up some time, too."

Leaning forward he flicked the TV on more for white noise than anything really. "So what's on the list tonight? What do you want to do?"
Eiryk 13 years ago
He really didn't want to fight so he didn't point out that it wasn't -really- a compromise because A) he owned the joint and B) he didn't need to work he just did it to keep from being bored to tears. So, he'd let Alex win this one, have his way, whatever you wanted to call it.

"Of course I'm using it on you. It isn't like I take sick days."

But he wasn't grumbling, it just was what it was.

He grinned as Alex turned on the TV.

"Not that I'm against it but isn't it a bit early for a movie? We could make an orgy of the night if you wanted though."

It sounded like fun, but that wasn't quite the quality time he was looking for and from what Alex had said he was thinking the same way.

"Well... the moon is still fairly bright we could take a short hike, or just go out and roast marshmallows. We could go down to the marina and take my boat out. We could go down to the Arch. I'd suggest the gardens but it is a little cold out."

The cold didn't bother Eiryk, he was used to it but he worried about Alex. Of course, it didn't seem at all odd to him that he'd suggest going out on the water where it would be colder but reject the gardens.

"I know nice antique stories that are open late or we could just play a board game... Pictionary or Trivial Pursuit or something."
Alex could very nearly see Eiryk struggling with the argue versus not argue dilemma. He hid it well, but Alex was coming to know Eiryk's moods even better. he grinned when it seemed like not argue was going to win out.

"Orgy later," he promised. "Other stuff now."

Alex wasn't at all opposed to a two-man orgy with his hot blond boyfriend, but he really had intended that they do something fun and entertaining tonight. Eiryk's suggestions were met with different levels of criticism, mostly because at each one Alex was envisioning all kinds of horrific ways Eiryk might hurt himself. Even in Trivial Pursuit.

"A hike might be nice. It's a bit cold for the marina although I do want to see your boat at some point... and I'm not willing to risk exposing you to a pointy object and an open flame at the same time." Alex shuddered at that notion.

"Maybe we can have our cake and eat it, too." Alex grinned mischievously. "How many places along the trails do you think are... secluded?"

He didn't think they could actually screw while hiking, but it would be kind of fun to speculate while they walked. Really though, when was he not speculating about screwing Eiryk? Hmm. Not often.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"What do I get if you break that promise?"

Eiryk teased. He didn't think it would be broken, not for a second and it did give him something to look forward too but he was still going to tease and flirt a bit.

He rolled his eyes at Alex declining the marina. Summer couldn't come soon enough for him he very much wanted to get Alex out on the water and they could just lounge in the moonlight at sea and be totally alone.

"I object. I have yet to light anything on fire!"

Eiryk laughed even as he protested. He really wasn't as bad or as dangerous as Alex made him out to be. Close, but not really. The idea of seclusion and doing things they shouldn't out almost in public was a little exciting. Eiryk embraced the idea.

"I think we should find out. If we can find something more appropriate for me to wear."

He was dressed for work, which meant crisp gray wool pants, highly polished dress shoes and an emerald green button down shirt. The shirt had been custom made too, he wasn't about to risk it.

"Quick stop by my place?"
Alex snorted. "Well the only way I'd break it is if you somehow convince me to stay in, which means I guess you get an orgy earlier," he said with a grin at Eiryk.

Alex laughed along with Eiryk at his protest. Of course Eiryk hadn't lit anything on fire... yet. The combination of pointy weapon and flammable items was one Alex wasn't willing to risk just yet though.

He hadn't thought Eiryk would object to his suggestion though; if there was a way to work in a heavy makeout session Eiryk was usually up for it. Not that Alex needed any particular extra convincing himself. It would make a hike interesting, to say the least.

"When are you just going to start leaving some clothes here?" Alex asked. Sure, he hadn't been back in his own apartment for more than a couple of weeks but Eiryk had spent enough nights and days here, and vice versa. And it was clear that neither of them was going anywhere anytime soon.

Besides, it didn't quite feel right without some of their things mixed together. Living with Eiryk had been wonderful. Alex would have been lying if he said he didn't miss it a lot. Stubborn pride being what it was though, he had never really questioned moving back into his own place once it was fixed.

Swinging Eiryk's legs off his lap he stood and retrieved his coat, scarf, and gloves from the wall hook by the door. Bundling up, he held the door open for Eiryk.

"Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into."
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Awwww honey, are you going to clear out a drawer for me?"

Eiryk teased. Alex knew full well how much of a clothes horse he was, one drawer would never be enough. But he could edit a little creative mix and match and he could have some good options in four pieces. More important though, the idea both gave him the warm and fuzzies and had merit.

"When you start leaving some stuff at my place."

After all, he hadn't reclaimed most of the space he'd given Alex while they were living together. There were empty spots in the dresser and closet that depressed him on a daily basis. But since Alex had asked he resolved to bring over a few changes of clothes and a few other odds and ends and tried not to grin like an idiot about it.

Alex seemed like he was ready to go so Eiryk, who hadn't removed his coat yet just unbuttoned it, stood, buttoned up and pulled his gloves on before lazily tossing a scarf around his neck. Eiryk liked the cold and was used to it so he wasn't as bundled up at Alex, but then again he also wasn't going to catch pneumonia or anything dumb either. He stole a quick kiss and headed for the door.

"Yes, let's."

((OOC... both out))