Walk Away (attn: Amir)

Mara didn't have to look hard to find Amir. Although he'd told her to stay away, she didn't know if that directive applied to the Manor as well. He hadn't specified, and she couldn't stay away completely. Forever. She wanted to see him. In the past few months she'd seen flashes of the man he used to be and while she could only guess at the reason, she wanted to make sure he was still there.

She wasn't dressed for a workout but she hadn't planned to participate anyway; not this time. She felt unusual walking into the training room in plain clothes, but as she'd suspected her creator was there.

Mara didn't doubt for a second that Amir registered her presence. He didn't greet her though, executing instead what she recognized as an aka from the bando discipline, one of the empty-handed techniques that looked like the viper form.

In the corner of the room a sandbag swung very slightly, suspended from the ceiling; it had clearly been a substitute for a variety of strikes. Mara wondered just how long Amir had been here. Linking her hands in front of her she leaned against the wall just inside the doorway and waited.

Amir 13 years ago
Amir was aware of Mara the second she walked into the room. To lose so much focus that you didn't know who was nearby was to die unremarked in a gutter somewhere, and that didn't suit Amir. So even while practicing he remained alert. He felt a flash of concern that turned into irritation at his eldest vampire though. He'd asked Mara for care and caution. Mai had told him her suspicions of a threat from within; even Heolfor wasn't safe now in his opinion. Amir wanted Mara as far away from danger as possible.

But as he watched her obliquely from the corner of his eye his anger dissipated. He couldn't stay angry at her for long; he never could. And he was glad to see her. Without Mara around as often, he had to admit he felt like he was losing himself again... if he'd ever found himself to begin with. When you spent several hundred years in someone's close company they became something of an extension of yourself. Amir was no exception to that rule.

Finishing his
aka, he turned to Mara. "Good evening, 'eni. Why are you here?"

It was blunt but that was how he operated. Mara was obviously not dressed to spar so she had come looking for him for something else. Standing where he was he waited for her to move, which she did, lifting herself gracefully from the wall she leaned on and crossing the mats to where he stood. He opened his arms out of reflex and she didn't shy away from his embrace.
Mara 13 years ago
Settling herself against Amir, pressing her face against his shoulder, was like coming home. It had been too long since she'd been held by her creator. Nuzzling her nose into his neck briefly she answered his question in a soft voice, allowing her fear to show.

"They're coming for you," she said softly.

He'd asked her to keep an eye out, she and Bao, for any vampires from the Anantya sect in Africa. She had been doing so dutifully with her own resources as well as Bao's reasonably vast network. Between the two of them they'd caught several groups of vampires traveling to America through roundabout means; someone knew Amir might have help and was trying to hide their tracks. Mara and Bao were cannier than that though and apparently their resources were better than those of their creators' small army of foes.

She didn't expect a big reaction from Amir, and in this she wasn't disappointed. Pulling away and bracing her small hands on Amir's shoulders Mara favored him with a look of minor annoyance.
"This is serious, Amir."
Amir 13 years ago
Amir could feel the difference in Mara right away. She didn't cling. She enjoyed a few moments in his arms and then immediately distanced herself. Amir didn't respond to either gesture from her; he kept his distance as well, mentally. This was for the best, really.

Her concerns caused a bone-deep chill to course through him which he restrained through sheer willpower. He forced himself to smile his careless, devilish smile as she looked up at him, looked annoyed, and pushed away.

"They're always after me," he said with a grin. And then he sobered. "I am serious, Mara. I'm seriously looking forward to kicking their asses."

Outwardly he remained flippant, unconcerned. Inside he was already picking his battleground. Forming plans. Discussing tactics with himself. He couldn't underestimate anyone sent to kill him. In his mind, which wasn't fully his anymore, he still harbored doubts about the identity of that person but at the same time even he thought he was being an idiot, so he planned for every contingency.

"Did you bring me anything good?" he continued, ignoring Mara's frustration.

She responded by pulling a manila folder from inside her pea coat, hading it to him but not letting go of it. Amir raised his eyebrows at her and tugged once or twice. She didn't release it. Finally, he rocked back on his heels and sighed at her.

"Fine. What?"
Mara 13 years ago
Her concern was returned with a brush-off, but Mara knew Amir better than that. He'd done this to her before when he didn't want her worrying about him, which generally meant he was about to do something that would worry her. Mara couldn't help but roll her eyes at her creator as he turned the entire situation into a joke. Granted, she had yet to find the group of vampires skilled and coordinated enough to take him out but it hadn't been so long ago that a pack of werewolves had nearly gotten the better of him. Sure, they were different, but it had been a scary lesson for Mara. Amir was only as immortal as the rest of them.

"Of course I brought you something good," she said, ignoring his jokes so as not to encourage him in such silliness and huffing at the idea that her gathered information was less than complete. Mara was always very thorough and Bao had done no less. Anything that could be found on Subira's friends was in that folder.

Mara held onto it though, and didn't release into Amir's hands right away. He looked exasperated with her but she didn't budge. Mara frowned. She didn't know what she had been going to say, really. She didn't want to give this to Amir knowing how much trouble it could get him into. They were coming for him regardless though, and it would serve him no good to be caught flat-footed and unprepared.

"Your promise," she prompted him, clutching at the folder. "You can't take it back."
Amir 13 years ago
Amir tilted his head at Mara. He got it. She was worried. He knew, but he couldn't make this ride stop. It had to be ridden all the way to the end.

"You know I won't," he said, all traces of humor aside, dark eyes meeting her silver-pale ones. "Insofar as I have the power to determine my own fate, Amaret, I'm not going to break that promise."

Then his lips twisted up. "Now how many times do you have to hear me say it? It's not going to get any truer for being repeated a thousand times."

Mara released the folder and he took it with a flash of fangs as he grinned and began to leaf through it. "So how was your New Year?"

He kept his gaze down on the folder but his attention was fully on Mara's response.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara shrugged at Amir. "Maybe not," she said, "but it doesn't mean I tire of hearing it."

Amir immediately opened the folder, further evidence that he wasn't treating the situation as lightly he as he would have her believe. Convinced that he'd been putting on an act for her sake Mara let the matter drop. It was a fruitless endeavor. Amir wasn't stupid. He was a brilliant fighter and a master tactician. If there was any way to come out of this mess unscathed he'd find it. She had to believe that.

His casual question caught her off guard and she stared at him for a second, trying to figure out his angle. She couldn't though. His tone had been carefully neutral and he wasn't even looking at her now, his attitude focused entirely toward the folder. Damn him. He knew she relied on body cues, and he knew how to hide them.

"It was good."
Amir 13 years ago
Amir smiled as he looked down at the folder. "Then fine. I'll keep saying it."

For Mara, anyhow. She needed reassurance. He understood. And provided when he could. Some day he might not be able to, and thanks to current events he suspected that day might be closer than either of them was comfortable with. Between vampires coming at him from different angles and too many wolves with too few Commanders, Amir had neon signs and targets painted all over himself. But he'd been in such places before and he was still here, which had to say something.

It probably said he was running out of dumb luck.

Mara's reaction to his innocent question made his eyes snap back up to her. She was flustered. He bit back on a multitude of reactions. Some of them were appropriate and some of them were not. And some of them he had no right to at all.

"Good? That's it?"

Amir wasn't fooled. Mara didn't get flustered over 'good,' nor was 'good' enough motivator to see someone on a personal basis. Not for her. She hadn't known Jin long enough. Therefore, it was more than 'good.'

He forced the proper reaction out through his teeth.
"Poor Jin. I wonder how long it's been since he was ranked that low."
Mara 13 years ago
Mara flushed at her creator. It wasn't that she was unused to discussing her affairs with him, it was just that this thing with Jin was, potentially, the exact opposite. She didn't know. It wasn't fair, however, that Amir had reminded her of a cold rooftop and a pair of warm arms and even warmer lips.

"I might have significantly understated my opinion of the whole experience," she said primly.

That made Amir chuckle. Mara looked at him with concern in her eyes. She wouldn't, couldn't, do anything that would hurt him. Only, she didn't know how much of anything that had happened recently had been Amir, and how much had been either completely out of his control or brought on by stress. There were any number of reasons why that would be.

"I want to see him again," she finally said, her eyes softening. "I... like him. He doesn't make me feel afraid."

Only that wasn't true, Jin terrified her. In different ways. "Is that bad?"
Amir 13 years ago
Amir shook his head as he laughed softly. Poor Mara. He watched her without judgment as she went through a variety of expressions and settled on one that was mingled hope and caution. His brows rose of their own accord at her declaration of liking the Nightsman. For Mara, that was tantamount to professing undying love. He didn't say anything though.

"Bad?"

He looked at her hopeful face, realizing she wanted to know if he approved. If Jin was all right. Any number of things, because she was clearly floundering. And Mara didn't like to flounder.

Amir closed the folder and sat cross-legged on the mats, patting the empty area beside him as he put the folder down. Mara sat as well, looking up at him and nibbling nervously at her lip.
"I can't give you very good advice, 'eni. I don't know the things you want to know. That's what you're supposed to find out. With each other."

Not with third party involvement. Amir hated pushing Mara off this ledge, but she had to go. This might be what he'd been trying to get her to do her entire life; take a risk with her heart, live for herself a little bit. He had tried to mend the scars of her past but he was insufficient to the task.

The thought crossed his mind, deep in a dark little corner, that now was the time to speak up. Now was the time to pull Mara to him and keep her there forever. There were any number of things he could say to her to make her believe she shouldn't pursue this course. Any number of lies, any number of truths, all of which would have her hiding by his side.

And that notion was dashed in less than a heartbeat, for as much as Amir might feel tempted, there were thousands more reasons not to do or say anything like that. Not the least of which was sitting next to him looking at him with a hopeful expression, waiting for guidance.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara sighed. She knew how relationships worked. But it all seemed so nebulous to her, and then it ended when one person left the other feeling desolate and lonely and worthless. Part of her said it was far better to spend a night or two together, call it good, and leave before hearts became involved.

But really, this was the first time she didn't want to listen to that part of herself. Mara wouldn't have traded a night like that for a night like New Year's Eve for any temptation. She winced at the uncertainty of it all.

"How am I supposed to know if he feels the same way?" She half-demanded of her creator, who was now looking partly amused and partly sympathetic, the latter an expression that rarely if ever crossed his features.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir hid a laugh as he 'coughed' into his hand. "Traditionally, you ask."

He took pity on Mara after that though. He smiled while his stomach tried to turn itself inside out in despair. Don't go with him. If you do, I might lose what little of me is left. Anger rose and he hid it completely, anger at finding himself in this situation. Anger for not being able to say or do things he wanted to. He quelled it. This was neither the time or the place.

Mara was more important to him than anything else. He focused on her.
"Jin is a good man," he finally said. "I don't know him well, it's true, but we've worked together." Amir lifted his shoulders and delivered the words that probably should burn as they fell off his lips. "You can trust him."

Mara should trust Jin. She could do far worse. Amir could see many traits in common with them, and he and Jin had entrusted their lives to each other on several occasions. And truth be told, Jin could protect her better than Amir right now. Amir was too large a target. Jin was clever, canny, and resourceful. If he cared for Mara, at least Amir could focus on what needed to be done. And if Mara returned his regard, Amir thought Jin would understand just how extraordinary Mara was.

"You know what they say. 'If you steal, steal a camel. If you fall in love, fall in love with a beautiful woman.'" Amir waved his hand. "Or a good-looking guy. What have you. You get the point."
Mara 13 years ago
"I know. Do it with a whole heart or don't do it at all." Mara knew the expression well and she couldn't fault Amir for throwing it at her now.

It helped to know Amir stood behind her for any decision she made. If he'd cautioned her or warned her in any way she would have hesitated, dug her heels in, and found some excuse to leave Nachton. It was still tempting. It felt like she was standing on the edge of a cliff. Everything in her head told her not to jump, yet at the bottom was something she wanted very much.

She rested her chin in her hand.
"How am I supposed to know, then, what to say and do to make it work out?"

She leaned toward Amir and rested her head on his shoulder.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir circled his arm around Mara's slim shoulders. How many times had they sat like this when one or the other was troubled? Only this time he could feel nothing but anger, still, which needed to be controlled.

He smiled down at Mara.
"That's the point. You don't always know. It makes it interesting. If I had any pointers I'd share, rohi, but I've never dated Jin. You're going to have to find your own way."
Mara 13 years ago
Mara shook her head on Amir's shoulder. "I was afraid you'd say that," she sighed.

She thought about the entire conversation for a few minuets as they sat in silence, before looking up at Amir. She knew he had troubles of his own. More troubles than she ever had. And yet he found time to counsel her and he never pushed her away. She dropped her gaze to the manila folder on the floor beyond him.

"You know I'm not going anywhere either," she said, wrapping her arms around him and squeezing.

Releasing Amir, Mara stood. She smoothed out her coat, drew out her mittens, and tugged them on. Walking to the doorway she looked back at Amir, pensive and silent. She was suddenly afraid, very afraid, that it might be he who left her after all, in spite of his promises. She shook her head quickly. No. Amir wouldn't do that.

She paused at the doorway.
"It'll be all right," she said, as much for him as for herself. She walked out the door and then turned and poked her head back in.

"And New Year's was... amazing."

((ooc: Mara out))
Amir 13 years ago
Amir smiled down at Mara. No, she was going somewhere. But it was good for her to do so. Perhaps Jin could heal fill holes in Mara that Amir couldn't. And if that were the case, well, Amir would owe Jin a lifetime of service.

As Mara readied herself to leave Amir remained where he was, trying his best to look unconcerned. Inside though, his anger began to form a face, a name. There was only one person aside from himself to blame here, and Amir was going to do his best to pay them back.

Once Mara had gone Amir stood and resumed his exercise. He moved quickly, furiously, working at the air as his mind churned. This wasn't the way he was meant to live. He was supposed to be in service to his Clan. Not to a nebulous tyrant who had broken thousands of promises.

Amir made no noise as he kicked and struck at the air in front of him, but the motions did nothing to soothe him. Finally they worked themselves out in a spinning kick aimed at the sandbag. As his foot connected forcefully the enormous metal bolts that held it to the ceiling were ripped free and the sandbag, miraculously intact, hit the wall with enough force to leave a mark.

He landed on the balls of his feet and stared.

"Great."

Normally he'd have found a human to fix it, but tonight he somehow thought he could benefit from a little manual labor. Amir went to find the appropriate tools to make repairs to the sandbag. It was all in the tools, he told himself. They're out there somewhere. No damage was irreparable. He just needed the right tools.

((ooc: Amir out))