Rude Awakening (private: attn Eiryk)

((ooc: Takes place on the morning of 1/11/11, at Alex's apartment))

Well, his birthday had gone as planned. Alex cracked opened his eyes at an hour that seemed far too early in the morning and probably was. Fortunately he'd planned ahead to open his store a little later than usual; he was the boss after all, right? The clock on the bedstand said it was 6 am and he realized he and Eiryk had only been home for three hours. That would explain the fact that he still felt completely hammered.

They'd been out until three in the morning and had stumbled back to Alex's apartment completely blitzed. Perfect, for Alex's very secret thirtieth birthday. He hated celebrating birthdays. He generally just got drunk instead and had seen no reason to alter those plans except to include Eiryk without telling him the reason for the uncharacteristic binge. Eiryk had joined in readily enough, and Alex was amazed they'd managed to get back here without killing themselves.

His head informed him it was not ready to get up so he rolled over and slept away another couple of hours. The next time he awakened he felt absolutely no better, but that was the price he paid for that many shots. Groaning, he sat up, swung his legs over the side of the bed, and put his head in his hands. A glance back at Eiryk showed him collapsed on the other side of Alex's almost-too-small bed, on his stomach, face turned away, the blankets shoved down to his waist. He hadn't budged since they'd gotten in; in fact, one leg was still dragging on the floor.

Well... Alex had to get up. And awake. He couldn't keep the store closed all day. The single window in his bedroom was against the back wall, right over the bed, and the sun was up and shining in spite of the cold outside. Alex stood, his head and stomach complaining, and yanked it open, wincing away from the brightness, hoping it would jolt him out of his hangover.

Collapsing back on the bed, he lay there for a second. Then, oddly enough, Eiryk moved. Unheard of. Nothing woke Eiryk up and he slept like the dead. Alex looked at his boyfriend, mostly concerned that he was about to hurl and wondering if he should try to find a bucket. Instead, he saw something even more unusual.

He could swear Eiryk was burning. Like a sunburn. Where the sunlight was hitting his skin, it was turning red, blistering, and, he swore, smoking. What... the fuck.

Eiryk writhed in discomfort, amazingly not waking up. And then he rolled over, onto his back, facing Alex. Alex gaped as Eiryk's chest turned red as well.
"Holy shit."

Eiryk 13 years ago
Next time Alex wanted to go drinking Eiryk was going to take him seriously. Not that he had any issues with having a few too many but he had never seen Alex more than a little tipsy. But he had lost count of the number of drinks, shots, etc. and of what all they had. It was a bad idea to mix your liqueurs like that, and he was pretty sure he'd advised Alex to have a big glass of water before they passed out, but he wasn't sure. He just knew it was going to hurt the next day, and poor Alex he had to be up to run the store otherwise Eiryk would have insisted they crash at his place.

Even though he was next to impossible to wake Eiryk was aware of Alex's comings and goings. Not that he ever -did- anything about them. He just registered them. Sometimes they worked their way into his dreams. Today something else did to. He couldn't quite get hold of what it was though. It hurt. He grimaced and was strongly reminded of raids and fires but only turned over to try and alleviate the pain. That worked, for a second or two and then it was back. With a groan and a monumental effort he pulled himself awake. He was aware of the ceiling, Alex's, of the hang over, of the bright sunlight that was not helping the hang over.

Slowly, those pieces started together. Sun, fire, pain. He didn't scream, he got points for that but Eiryk sat bolt upright and literally leapt out of bed and ran flat out for the bathroom. He knew there was no window in there, he'd be safe. He slammed the door shut, harder than necessary grabbed a towel and basically huddled in the farthest corner of the shower, trying to pat out any remaining burns. God this was not happening. Not happening. He was safe here. This wasn't out in the open. It was the middle of the day he couldn't go out. He couldn't feed and he couldn't remember when he ate last. Although, that was more a side effect of panicking than any indication he hadn't eaten.

Eiryk was wresting with the basics of survival and trying to decide if he was going to make it when the bathroom door opened. Shit. Alex. How the hell was he supposed to explain this. Looking down at the burn on his chest Eiryk realized that it would be impossible for this to seem normal. He might have come up with a plan, counter measures, something but he was still in panic mode huddled in the shower enclosure and now under the towel. Dark, dark was good.
Alex Aristos 13 years ago
Alex somehow made a connection between his open curtain and Eiryk's odd reaction. Leaping up, he yanked the curtain closed and tugged the blanket over Eiryk. Just then Eiryk's eyes snapped open and he literally ran for the bathroom, surprisingly not tripping over anything on his way, moving much faster than Alex had ever seen a man move. He blinked for a second, trying to filter everything that was happening. Was he still drunk? He wasn't high. Drugs weren't on his list of fun things to do.

Slowly he stood. He walked to the bathroom and turned the handle, oddly glad that the lock was broken. He wanted to see this. And Eiryk was hurt, a fact that concerned him more than anything at the moment. Walking into the small bathroom he flipped the light on; there was no way he was going into a dark room. He didn't see Eiryk immediately but there was only one place for him to go.

Peering around the side of the shower curtain he found Eiryk hiding in the bathtub, a reddened, blistered, shivering mess, trying to look invisible beneath one of the bath towels. Alex stood with his arms crossed over his chest for a second. Then he pushed the curtain aside, climbed into the tub, and sat on the edge of it.

Alex reached out and took the towel away from Eiryk.
"Let me see," he said gently.

Holding onto Eiryk's hand, he turned his extended arm over, looking at the burns on it. He reminded himself to keep breathing. There would be an explanation forthcoming, he was sure. But Eiryk needed to be cared for.

Alex reached over and turned the water in the tub on, letting it run into the drain until it was luke warm. Eiryk jumped when the water hit the bottom of the tub.
"It's all right," Alex said softly.

He pulled down the showerhead and turned it to a narrow, low-impact stream. Holding the showerhead up at Eiryk's shoulder Alex leaned forward and began to let the water run down Eiryk's arm and chest. He was no nurse but he did have licenses in CPR and first aid. One of the first things they taught was to use warm water, not cool, on burns.

"Let's get you patched up, and when it's dark I'll bring you to the hospital." Eiryk just stared at him, wide-eyed and terrified, and Alex's heart turned over.

"And then you're going to explain to me the difference between 'don't go out during the day' and 'spontaneously combust in sunlight' because to me, those are pretty crucial distinctions."

His hand shook as he ran the showerhead over Eiryk's chest and arms but he did his best to steady it. Whatever was happening, it was more important to take care of Eiryk. That was all that mattered.
Eiryk 13 years ago
He flinched when Alex turned the light on, half expecting it to be sunlight and to be further burned. This was not a very suave or macho look but he kept cowering in the bathtub. He might have stayed there all day expect Alex's voice penetrated the cloud of fear that was hovering around him, enveloping him.

"No... no... It'll be fine."Â?

He tried to tell Alex and half tried to pull his arm away and cling to the towel. But he didn't quite manage. And after his initial jumpy jerky reaction the water felt good on the burns.

Shaking his head vigorously Eiryk didn't want to go to the hospital for a lot of reasons.

"No hospital. It will be fine."Â?

It was said as if from a great distance. Eiryk was more telling himself it would be fine than any thing. He blankly looked down and could see that the edges of the burns were starting to heal. Not fast, but noticeably.

With his eyes still a little wiled he opened and closed his mouth a few times trying to explain the difference between burning up in sunlight and not going out during the day. He finally managed half a response.

"This is the difference, the sun burns."Â?
Alex continued to try and breathe deeply, gently running water over all of the burned skin he could find. Eiryk's back seemed to be the worst; he'd woken up and run for cover before his chest had gotten quite that bad. He raised his eyebrows at Eiryk's insistence that he'd be fine.

"Eiryk, in case you didn't notice you're covered in blisters." He extended his free hand, gently caught his boyfriend's jaw between his slender fingers on a part that wasn't burned, and turned Eiryk's face to peer at the damage.

"I know the sun burns," he said with a patient sigh. Eiryk was clearly in shock or something. Alex had never seen him so rattled. And that was an understatement; Eiryk was clearly petrified. Small wonder. "Just, for most of us it doesn't happen so quickly."

What the hell was going on anyway? His resolution not to ask about the daylight thing was quickly going by the wayside. This was... unreal. All the things he'd thought were clearly wrong. He'd run through any number of scenarios in his imagination. Wanted by the feds, avoiding uncomfortable social situations, stuff that wasn't at all Eiryk. It hadn't once crossed his mind that Eiryk had actually meant that sunlight would cause him physical harm.

And he was desperately trying to avoid the facts that were rapidly falling into place. So he stilled his shaking hands and focused on the man in front of him. As he retrieved the washcloth hanging nearby and wet it, applying it to Eiryk's blistered cheek, Alex couldn't fail to notice that the blisters were smoothing out, slowly but noticeably. As if they were healing quickly. He looked at Eiryk's chest. There, too, things looked better. And he was pretty damn sure it wasn't because of the water.

He couldn't hide the look on his face; Alex wasn't that good. He didn't know what it must look like to Eiryk. Shock, horror, curiosity, fear, anger ... all mixed into one. he didn't say anything else; he just finished up with the water after a minute or two and retrieved the towel. Standing Eiryk up Alex gently patted him dry, careful not to rub over any spots that must be starting to register a great deal of pain, healing or not.

"Wait here."

He left the bathroom, dug through his drawer, and pulled out one of his pairs of yoga pants. Bringing the pants with him into the bathroom he handed them to Eiryk, whose pajamas were soaked through.

"Change."

His voice was not unkind, but Alex didn't know how to react here. He tried to respond the way he normally did as an instructor when things went awry, which meant maintaining an air of detached professional coolness, and in general staying calm even when it seemed like the sky was falling.

When Eiryk was dry again Alex sat him down on the closed lid of the toilet and opened the cabinet under the sink, reaching in for a bottle of lotion. He didn't often burn, himself, but it had happened on occasion so he did have some aloe vera on hand, with lidocaine. Kneeling down in front of Eiryk, Alex gently began to rub it in.

"I'm sorry it hurts, but this'll help."

It gave him something to do while he tried to figure out whether he wanted to face the music, or try to pretend this wasn't happening.
Eiryk 13 years ago
He didn't need to breath but some how it seemed natural to take slow deep breaths. Alex's voice continued to sooth him and he started thinking rationally again. He was no longer being burned, he was healing, Alex was here. He held out one of his arms and looked at it objectively, it hurt but it would heal, probably would be just fine by tonight. It hurt, but he could manage. He could honestly say he'd had worse.

What was slowly becoming clear to him was that he had to explain this all to Alex. That thought was still a fuzzy half formed idea in his head though as she changed into the yoga pants Alex provided. At least he was dry now.

He sucked in his breath as the lotion stuck the raw flesh. He could just heal up on his own but it did seem to help some. The burn wasn't as bad where Alex had tried to help him. Eiryk's head fell forward and he buried his face in his hands as his elbows braced on his knees.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I really am."Â?

He should have said something. He should have just told Alex but he had been trying to work up to the idea slowly, to break it to him gently. Apparently he had more than failed. So Eiryk was apologizing not only for scaring Alex like this but for not saying something in the first place.
Alex was having a hard time wrapping his head around things. Eiryk apologized but didn't attempt to explain and Alex couldn't figure out if that was a good or a bad thing. He stared as some of the blisters on Eiryk's skin continued to heal over even as he rubbed lotion onto them, glad that at that point Eiryk couldn't see the expression on his face. It was unnatural, what was happening before his eyes.

And it seemed to him that, while he'd been baring his soul to Eiryk these past few months, telling him things about himself he'd never said out loud, the least Eiryk could have done was return the favor. Alex pressed his lips together as he worked, trying not to be angry. Anger wouldn't help anything.

When he finished he sat back on his heels and softly put one hand around each of Eiryk's wrists. He pulled gently at them, forcing Eiryk to raise his head. He was afraid to ask, but Eiryk's health was important to him so he did.

"What else can I do? Is there somewhere I can take you? Something I can give you?"
Eiryk 13 years ago
Alex more or less forced Eiryk to look at him. To look into those soft, warm, brown eyes. Eiryk didn't fully understand the expression in those eyes right now. Anger? Fear? Confusion? All of the above. They were all warranted.

He needed to move, to pace, to do something. At the very least he didn't want to have this conversation in a bathroom. It just didn't seem right. Standing he checked to make sure the bedroom was dark again and saw that Alex had closed the curtains.

"I can't go any where, not until after dark. I'm afraid you're stuck with me for a while."Â?

With his head a little clearer Eiryk lead them both out into the bedroom and sat down on the bed next to Alex. Not too close though, he had a feeling Alex was going to need a little bit of space by the time this was all over.

"I'm sorry I worried you. I really will be fine. I'll..."Â? He nervously licked his lips, "Get something to eat tonight and that will finish the job. I'll heal up good as new."Â?

It was tempting, -very- tempting to just suggest Alex forget all this and then break the news another way, but Eiryk, for some reason, felt it was the right thing to do, to deal with it now.
Alex followed Eiryk out to his bedroom, thinking to himself that Eiryk might be stuck here but Alex sure wasn't. He didn't take himself seriously though; Eiryk was here and this was where he wanted to be. But whatever was happening now... it was so confusing, so unwanted.

Eiryk's careful phrasing and nervous pause weren't lost on Alex. Come on. This wasn't happening. He had to be kidding. Alex crossed his arms and glared.

"I see. So we just pretend like this didn't happen? Like you didn't damn near burst into flames in my bed?"

His jaw set angrily. "Why not? You've been lying to me all this time. May as well have it out in the open."

He stopped before he could say anything more. Reminded himself that anger didn't help. But if he didn't feel anger, all he felt was a sense of profound pain and betrayal. If Eiryk couldn't be honest with him, if all these past months had been a lie, then what good was explaining anyway?

Alex's eyes only grew harder as he considered Eiryk's words. He breathed heavily, gritting his teeth together every time he began to form words, because the words weren't productive useful ones. They were sarcastic and harmful ones. You didn't return pain with pain. Alex had been around that block far too many times. He was used to it, he supposed.

Finally he stood back up, unable to sit still. Arms still crossed over his chest he paced back and forth a few times before continuing to glare.
"Who the hell are you, Eiryk? Why the lies? Why..." he gestured to himself, to Eiryk, before re-crossing his arms. "... all of this?"
Eiryk 13 years ago
If he wasn't so sure he deserved it Eiryk would have protested this. As it was, he knew Alex was entitled to this outburst, and a few more besides. He was, however, terrified that this less than controlled revelation would cause him to lose Alex.

"I haven't lied to you, maybe omitted, but never lied."Â?

He said very carefully turning words around in his head. 'Honey I'm a vampire.' didn't sound quite right. Absently he scratched at the edge of the burn on his chest as it continued to heal. The scar on his chest was slowly healing back into place along with everything else.

It took a great deal of effort to stay calm but he did. He could beg for forgiveness later right now they needed to work this out.

"We aren't going to pretend this didn't happen. It isn't how I wanted to tell you but it is too late now."Â?

If only he hadn't been so subtle, hadn't depended on Alex asking questions hadn't tried to do this delicately. And yet, he still couldn't quite bring himself to say it aloud. It just sounded too stupid, too hokey, too like a wild story.

"Would you have believed me if I'd told you I'm twelve hundred years old?"Â? Well twelve hundred and change but he didn't think those extra couple of years mattered at this point. "That I've been on an all liquid diet for nearly a dozen centuries?"Â?

He searched Alex's face for something, anything. A sign of hope, belief, anything but that stubborn hurt anger.

"It isn't easy to say Alex. Part of survival is going under the radar."Â?
Alex just stared at Eiryk. If he weren't watching the evidence that his boyfriend was something more (or less) than human right that very minute, he'd never have believed it. As it was it was hard to comprehend.

He raised one eyebrow at the blond.
"Oh? How did you plan to tell me? Flowers and chocolates? A trip to New York City? Just work it in over dinner at a five star restaurant?"

He spread his hands helplessly.
"I'm sorry Eiryk, but I can't help thinking that maybe this kind of revelation should have come before the whole eternal love and devotion angle."

Eiryk's questions set him back on his heels for a second before he resumed pacing.
"I don't know if I'd have believed you without seeing that," he gestured at the quickly healing wounds on Eiryk's skin, "but it seems to me you could have provided ample proof."

It was hard to hang onto his anger. What Eiryk said made sense. Of course he had to stay under the radar. No one like this could walk around in public broadcasting their identity. But it still made him angry. He wanted to be angry. He felt stupid and used. Alex had been honest with Eiryk in everything they'd done, and the favor hadn't been returned. It hurt.
Eiryk 13 years ago
OK that hurt, and it wasn't a blow he'd been prepared for. Eiryk's face felt and he looked quite wounded. He had -never- attempted to buy Alex's affection or love. It would have been less painful if Alex had just opened the curtains again. As it was he was close to doing that himself.

"Honestly I don't know. I..."Â? He shook his head. "Do you have any idea how long it has been since I've told some one? I'm out of practice."Â?

He refrained from mentioning that he'd been hinting at it since before Christmas. That he'd been trying to find a way to broach the topic and he just wasn't able to make the final leap.

Sadly he nodded his agreement with that statement.

"I had meant to tell you first. Really, I had. Part of it though... part of it was I don't think I realized how much I loved you until I heard you say it."Â?

There could be no mistaking the truth and the pain in his eyes. He had screwed this up royal. But, in his defense, it wouldn't have been right to have said, "I love you too, oh by the way I'm a vampire"Â?.

He was starting to realize that there was nothing he could say that was going to make this any better. Nothing. It was a very helpless feeling and one Eiryk didn't care for at all. He didn't even know where to go with any of it. Part of him thought he should just leave, let Alex work this out and decide where he wanted to go, part of him knew he had to stay here and come to some understanding.

"Proof? I'm not even sure what to show you as proof, not even now. I know it is stupid, I know it is really too late and I should have said something weeks if not months ago but ... ask... really... I don't want to keep this from you. It doesn't change anything, I still love you, I need you I don't want this to between us, its done that once already. I still don't know why you forgave that without any real explanation."Â?

God maybe that was wrong. Maybe he shouldn't have brought that up again. But Alex had accepted some of his quirks on faith once before. Maybe he could do so again now that he knew the reasons. Maybe. He could only hope.
The rational part of Alex took over when he heard Eiryk's words. Why had he forgiven Eiryk before? Because he had loved him then, even if he hadn't realized it. And because he was accepting of peoples' different flaws and oddities and knew what it felt like to be ostracized because of them. Obviously he hadn't made himself clear to Eiryk. The fact that his boyfriend was... well, he didn't want to say it... different, wasn't what was upsetting him necessarily. It was that he'd pledged his love and fidelity to someone he apparently didn't really know at all.

Alex took a deep breath and shook his head. He moved back over to his bed and sat down, next to Eiryk who looked, honestly, completely crushed. Alex wasn't blind to Eiryk's feelings. He was generally a sensitive person. He didn't like to hurt people or see them hurt. A blind deaf mute could have felt Eiryk's upset from a mile away.

Channeling whatever calm he'd used in the bathroom Alex reached out and put his hand on Eiryk's shoulder. The anger was fading, replaced by that numb calmness and the continued sensation that this conversation wasn't really happening.

"All right," he said slowly. "Tell me everything. No more lies. I love you too, Eiryk, but I need to know the truth now."

He should have known it before. Before giving everything he had to make this work.
Eiryk 13 years ago
When Alex sat down he felt a little better. When he felt that familiar hand on his shoulder he felt a little better. He wanted to throw himself in Alex's lap and be held but he couldn't do that now, even though Alex had said he loved him, he couldn't do that. Eiryk frowned and tried to think where to start.

"It is a lot of ground to cover... how about we start with the highlights and I'll fill in whatever you want to know?"Â?

Doing a David Copperfield meets Highlander recitation wasn't something Eiryk really wanted to do. Alex deserved to know anything he wanted to though, so... he'd do his best.

"There is a reason I gave you Eaters of the Dead to read..."Â?

He started and then quickly outlined the whole Viking thing, the raids on the monastery and Angus turning him, without asking, he touched on his travels, and a bit about Ines. He sort of outlined the idea of the clans, which he thought explained why his 'family' didn't think that this part of his lifestyle was at all odd. He even brushed up against the idea that they all had their little quirks good and bad. He was going to have to demonstrate his relationship with foxes though and maybe the gliding.

"Some of the clichés are true and some aren't. The sun... yeah obviously, garlic, crosses... not as much."�

Alex should know that, Eiryk liked garlic, a lot.

"I know I eat when I'm with you, but really it isn't what I need. We do drink blood. That is how this works. But it isn't like a bad horror movie. We... well not all of us... we don't just jump out of dark alleys and rip people's throats out. A little bit goes a long way, especially at my age, and people live through it, some times they don't even notice, most of the time they enjoy it."Â?

Most of the time people did enjoy it. he wasn't ready to go into familiars yet though and after a long pause and another nervous licking of his lips Eiryk decided he shouldn't even try to hide this last bit. it would probably only make things worse.

"I... you... It hasn't been often, but... you have."Â?
Alex just shrugged his shoulders when Eiryk ran the plan by him. He didn't care how it worked. He just wanted answers. Knowledge. Whatever he should have had before promising to stick around forever. He bit his tongue on several comments during Eiryk's very long speech. He didn't want to interrupt and Eiryk was on a roll.

He couldn't stay quiet though when Eiryk mentioned drinking his, Alex's, blood. He narrowed his eyes at Eiryk and stared for a second, trying to figure out how. When. And then his face grew red when he realized just when exactly Eiryk had accomplished that particular feat. His mouth opened and closed a few times and he tried desperately to recall why he had decided to go the "not be angry" route.

"So," he said through gritted teeth, "that's what will fix you up, huh? Blood? Like a big Audrey Two or whatever."

His brain was in overload. Alex couldn't possibly understand all of this information. He was getting it in bits and pieces. God, he was going to have to read a manual or something. After he calmed down.

Eiryk responded with a mumble that sounded something like "It would speed things up." Alex watched him, considering, for a moment.

"Fine then. Go ahead. If that will make you better, do it."

Part of him wanted that. In the back of his head he still didn't believe Eiryk entirely, or was having trouble swallowing it. Morbid curiosity had him wondering what it would feel like when he was fully aware of it. The other part of him wanted to know for sure that that was what Eiryk had done.

Alex looked down at himself. What part was the sweet spot? He held his arms out and tilted his head at Eiryk.
"I'm all yours. Greek buffet."

The sarcasm was not to be held in check, not right now. Alex was brewing up one hell of a storm. Eiryk might not recognize the signs, but Alex did.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk flinched. Again, that hurt. And the sarcasm was worse. He thought about losing his temper and standing up for himself. He was, could be, a moderately scary guy and he did have his pride. Honestly he couldn't remember the last time he'd let some one go after him like this. Even if Alex wasn't ranting and raving, even if Alex actually seemed almost calm, something in the words hurt Eiryk. But just as he was getting all fired up to be angry himself he remembered this had to be a hell of a shock and that Alex had every right to feel betrayed and hurt and angry and he just deflated into himself.

He shook his head but wouldn't look at Alex right now.

"No. I'll be fine. I told you that."Â?

He said very very quietly. The truth was that Eiryk couldn't, wouldn't bite Alex like this. The few times he'd bitten Alex had been very intimate moments. Love and trust had been involved, even if he was being a sneaky bastard. He wouldn't not if Alex didn't one hundred percent mean it and Eiryk couldn't be sure he did right now.

Taking another, unnecessary, deep breath Eiryk decided to go for broke. As long as Alex was mad, well he ought to give him everything. If they could just get everything out in the open at once they -might- make it through this. Eiryk had a feeling his odds of keeping his boyfriend would go down dramatically if he held back at this point.

"There is one more thing. I told you about our quirks? I... er... I can nudge people's decisions a bit. I can't get them to do whatever I want or something they wouldn't do any way but I can help them along. I've pushed you once or twice. Never anything big."Â? He said quickly. "Mostly just after you had the trouble with the store. I.. I didn't want you to work yourself to death I might have suggested you get some extra sleep."Â?

There had been one or two others, but that was the biggest one. And now that he'd said it Eiryk was fully prepared for Alex to kick him to the curb, in the sun. With any luck he'd at least allow him to make a phone call to the Towers... maybe Pak could take care of his estate, sweep up his ashes...
Alex lowered his arms when Eiryk shook his head. Oh, joy, more confessions. Only this, he liked even less than the whole blood thing. Once again he felt that curious mixture of betrayal, embarrassment, and shame. This was all so unbelievable. Now Eiryk was some kind of psychic too?

He stood quickly, angrily.
"Don't play with me."

He patted the air slowly, soothingly, the gesture meant mostly for himself.
"This is too much, all at once. I don't know what to believe from you anymore, Eiryk."

Alex shook his head. He felt a burning sensation in his chest that bothered him. He didn't have any way to get away from this save one. Without another word he went to his dresser, got out some clothes, and went back into the bathroom. Under the hot spray of the shower he tried to distance himself again, but he was having a hard time.

It might have been easier if this had all come about earlier. But damn it, he loved Eiryk. He'd said so, and no amount of deceit was going to change that. He still loved the man he'd known the last few months. And really, Eiryk made some sense. Who in their right mind would tell Alex what Eiryk had just told him without being very sure of their reception?

It wasn't the content of what Eiryk was telling him that angered him; it was the sheer number of lies he'd been told. He'd already considered the options that Eiryk was something other than what he seemed. His strange anti-daylight habits had made it pretty clear. So, the truth of that was a shocker but not the real killer.

Alex sighed. The question for him was, how long was he planning on staying angry at Eiryk? Because let's face it, he told himself, you're an idiot and you're in love. That love, still new, was definitely feeling the strain right now but you didn't turn your back on someone just because they weren't what you wanted them to be. No one, no one, knew that lesson better than Alex. He'd rather cut off a limb than put Eiryk through that sort of pain.

Climbing out of the shower he toweled off, shaved, and dressed. He didn't really want to go back into the bedroom. He didn't want to face Eiryk like this, angry and confused and hurt. But he did anyhow.

"I'm going to work," he said softly, his voice carefully neutral. "The sun comes into the living room in the afternoon, and I don't have a shade on the front window. Be careful."

He stopped in front of Eiryk, who was still sitting on the end of the bed, leaning forward on his knees.
"We'll talk later. When I get back. Just..."

He sighed and shook his head, dropped his hand and let it rest briefly in Eiryk's soft gold hair. With that short caress he left, heading downstairs to open his store.

On the bright side, his hangover was pretty much gone.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"I'm not playing with you."Â?

Eiryk wasn't completely sure how Alex meant that, but he was telling the truth. He wasn't playing. This wasn't a game.

He watched as Alex tried to settle down a little. It was a lot. He agreed, but the idea that he'd lost Alex's trust was chilling. A cold hard knot in his stomach... that sensation of falling in a dream and then that nasty jerk when you woke up and hit the ground all at the same time.

"I am sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you... I really wouldn't ever deliberately do that."Â?

Eiryk didn't have time to say much more than that before Alex ended the conversation and disappeared into the bathroom. Eiryk alternated between pacing and sitting numbly on the bed. Waiting for Alex to come out. Dreading that he'd come out and have decided he wanted nothing more to do with him.

Aishe was right. He should have said something. OK so the timing had never been right, or even good, but this was even worse. God, poor Alex, Eiryk wasn't stupid he knew Alex didn't give his trust or his love lightly and he had worked for it. and now in one stupid careless moment, leaving out one little (huge) detail he'd ruined it all.

His eyes were pathetically hopeful when Alex finally came out, but there was nothing there. He had no idea if Alex had made up his mind or not. He just couldn't tell. Maybe Alex didn't hate him though, he did warn him about the sun in the living room, he did touch him, but he didn't say anything really. There was no emotion in his voice, no clue at all. For all Eiryk knew Alex just didn't want to have to vacuum up the pile of ashes he could turn into if the sun caught him.

When Alex left Eiryk's heart just dropped, like a bubble he just popped. He flopped back on the bed and stared at the ceiling. He couldn't do anything about this for -hours- and he was going to have great fun replaying all the 'would have' 'could have' and 'should have's over and over and over.

"I do love you."Â?

He said to the empty room. Maybe some how, Alex would hear it down stairs.
Alex closed up shop before the sun had gone down entirely, so he knew Eiryk would still be upstairs. It crossed his mind to stay down here for a while more and let Eiryk leave if he chose, but Alex wasn't sure that was a good idea. This was the sort of thing that needed to be discussed.

He was still angry, now that he'd had a good six or seven hours to stew. It was a Tuesday night which meant he didn't have any classes himself, but the studio was still being used by the karate class now that the repairs were complete. He didn't really have anywhere to go but upstairs, and the more he thought about it, the more he decided it would be best to confront Eiryk sooner rather than later.

Alex didn't want to hurt him. Hell, he didn't really even want to know about all of this. He'd just been getting used to things as they were, with Eiryk's odd habits that never meshed well with his. Now they were throwing a whole new set of information into the mix and Alex was still angry at being used.

He did believe that Eiryk hadn't meant to cause such harm. Eiryk was Eiryk, and Alex thought that he'd know it by now if there was a mean streak in his body. Yet to have Eiryk, who was so charming, comfortable in any kind of social situation, and generally the better of the two of them when it came to any kind of communication, drop the ball so badly, seemed very out of place. Alex was half afraid there was even more to it than Alex knew.

He tempered his anger as he climbed the three flights up to his apartment. Anger wouldn't resolve anything. He had to deal with it on his own, because it wouldn't be productive to let it all out on Eiryk. Pausing with his hand on his door knob he took a deep breath, opened the door, and went through.

His apartment was dark, save for the little sprinkling of night lights throughout the place. Alex reached in and flicked the living room light on.

"Eiryk? Are you still here?"
Eiryk 13 years ago
It had officially been the longest day of his life. Eiryk couldn't concentrate on anything and he couldn't go downstairs to try and fix this either. Not that he should, no. In his head he knew Alex needed time and space to think about this. Unfortunately that gave him time and space to think too.

He'd tried reading, TV and pacing and none of that had helped. Nor was it any kind of distraction for more than thirty seconds. He must have read the same page of something fifteen times and every word either had to do with Alex or how big a failure he was as a boyfriend. Eiryk honestly expected Alex to come upstairs at any second and break up with him.

Finally in his wonderful world of worry and self pity Eiryk stumbled a cross a stock pile, more than a bottle, less than a bar. Well one drink to take the edge of. Maybe two. Possibly five. He lost count and sprawled his intoxicated self across the sofa and just stare at the ceiling. Only rousing now and then to have another drink.

Hearing the door open Eiryk tried to stand and instead fell flat on his face. He tried to get up once, only to fall again. Maybe he'd just stay on the ground for now.

"Still here!"Â? He called, but it had a very forlorn sound to it. "But I'll leave as soon as it gets dark... if you want."Â?
There was a distinctive thump... and another. Alex's eyes immediately went to the floor in front of the couch. Eiryk's voice sounded kind of... pathetic. And there he was, sprawled in an uncomfortable manner at the foot of the couch. Alex was very briefly tempted to leave him there, but it went against his nature even if the person in question hadn't been his boyfriend.

Crossing the living room he gave Eiryk his hand. He tried to pull him to his feet but Eiryk immediately wove and wobbled so Alex caught him beneath his arms and lowered him properly onto the couch.

"Shit, Eiryk, you smell like you just crawled out of a bottle."

His eyes went to the table beside the couch, then to the kitchen counter. Alex didn't have a lot in the way of drinks at his place, but what he'd had Eiryk had definitely put a dent into. Maybe more of a wrecking ball.

It was hard to be truly pissed off at your boyfriend when he looked miserable, smelled worse, and was clearly in no shape to be yelled at.

"This isn't fair. You know that, right?" He grumbled at Eiryk. "What am I going to do with you? And no, I don't want you to go. Not like this."

He wasn't sending anyone out onto the streets so hammered they could barely stand.
With a sigh, Alex sat down on the couch next to Eiryk and pulled him toward him with his arm around the shorter man's shoulders.

"Why is this ripping you up so much?" he asked. "You are what you are. I know you didn't mean to hurt me."

He had meant to lie to him though. And really, he knew why it was ripping Eiryk up but sometimes it was good to get things like this out anyway. Eiryk wasn't really one to bottle his feelings up. Being stuck upstairs in Alex's boring apartment all day must have been torture.