All Good Things... (attn: Eiryk)

Alex stared down at the key in his hand as he stood outside Eiryk's apartment. He huffed a small sigh. His store was rapidly coming back together now that the repairs were complete. It looked great. The studio on the second floor was also finished and he'd begun giving lessons again starting tonight. In fact, that was what he was coming back from, slightly disheveled and a little on the sweaty side.

Christmas had been a dream. A cabin at a resort in Vermont, with a little hot tub and a fireplace on the back deck, massages each night, private meals, skiing, hiking through the snow... an incredible experience. Christmas itself had been even better. Maybe a little emotional but that was all right. Certain things had to be said, after all.

And now, several days after they'd come home, Alex was getting ready to move back to his apartment. In theory he could go now. He had water and electricity. He'd been up there several times. As much as he liked his own small space, though, he was reluctant to leave Eiryk's.

Face it, he thought to himself, you're just bummed because once Monday is here it's back to the insanity.

It was true; he'd have to go back to actually sleeping at night, getting up early, running his store, giving lessons, and only occasionally seeing Eiryk when they could fit in the time.

Well, no sense making a big deal out of it. They'd make it work. He slipped the key into the lock on he door, opened it, and let himself in. It was well after 8; Eiryk should have been up hours ago.

"I'm back," he said, looking around for Eiryk as he entered the apartment.

Eiryk 13 years ago
He was awake, but not quite functioning. For some reason Eiryk hadn't slept terribly well. He was used to Alex's comings and goings but it had bothered him tonight. As a result he wasn't waking up well, worse than usual. He was still in his pajamas, in the living room chair, laptop on his lap, coffee at his elbow but sort of just staring at it, the laptop that was not the coffee. They should have stayed in Vermont. He was happy there, just he and Alex.

Reality was over rated.

That was probably what was bothering him. Alex was getting the store up and running again, which was great, but Alex also lived there. To Eiryk it made no sense for Alex to move back. They were good here but on some level he knew, or at least suspected, that Alex would move back.

The sound of the key in the lock and Alex's voice perked him up somewhat, at least he drug himself mostly out of his stupor.

"Welcome home! How was class?"Â?
Alex Aristos 13 years ago
Alex saw Eiryk sitting there with his laptop and coffee, unusual for him at this time of night. Eiryk was the sort who didn't normally laze around. He tended to be pretty put-together as soon as he was awake enough to do so. Removing his shoes, Alex walked into the living room and bent to kiss Eiryk good morning. Or evening, whichever.

"Class was good. Little light on attendance but it was sort of short notice today. It'll pick back up."

He rested his hands against Eiryk's face. "You okay? You look kind of beat."

His warm brown eyes regarded Eiryk with concern. Alex wasn't used to seeing Eiryk anything but, well, cheerful and sometimes ridiculously perky. If something was wrong he wanted to know.

"Make any dinner yet? I can star on something if you're hungry."

Alex couldn't help it; he was Greek. Food was almost always the solution to any ailment.
Eiryk 13 years ago
He watched Alex take off his shoes and cross the room and half smiled but didn't move. Which was good because Alex came to him.

"You're between holidays too, it would probably be slow right now any way."Â?

It was only logical. Some business did drop off during the holidays.

What? Nothing was wrong. For the first time Eiryk noticed how late it was and the fact that he wasn't dressed, that he hadn't gone out to the studio or anywhere else for that matter. It had to look a bit odd to Alex, and of course he'd be concerned. That's just how he was.

Eiryk signed off of what he'd been working on, closed his laptop, set it aside, and shook his head.

"Maybe I'm a little tired but nothing's wrong."Â?

Eiryk was also trying to work out how to tell Alex he was a vampire and wasn't coming up with a good way. He was a little hungry thought. It had been a while since he'd eaten, but it would wait. On the upside that meant that he hadn't fed from Alex for a while and could again. Although, Eiryk was reluctant to do that. It wasn't even that he was worried about a familiar bond, no he was way too careful for that. He didn't like to feed from Alex because Alex didn't know.

"I could go for a bite."Â?

He said reluctant.

"But don't bother with anything. I'm not that hungry."Â?

Instead he pulled Alex into his lap and nuzzled his neck.

"Tell me about your day."Â?
Alexander nodded at Eiryk. "You're right, I hadn't thought about that. Probably a lot of folks on vacation."

He ran his hands down both sides of Eiryk's neck and rubbed gently.
"Tired? How could you be tired?"

He cocked one eyebrow at his boyfriend. Eiryk slept like a ton of bricks. Impossible to wake up, out like a light, kind of like a corpse. The metaphors could go on and on. He wasn't sure he was buying this whole "I'm fine" thing, but if Eiryk didn't want to talk about it Alex wasn't going to press him. It would come out in its time, if it came out at all.

Alex let himself be pulled down, perched himself on the arm of the chair and pulled Eiryk in close, still massaging his neck gently with one hand.
"Nothing much to tell," he said obligingly. "The store looks great. The contractors you hooked me up with did a fantastic job. But you know that. Everything's coming together; if you want we can head down there later?"

Eiryk had gone with him to the store twice since they'd been home from Vermont. He'd helped Alex put everything back where it needed to be and was quickly growing as familiar with Alex's inventory as Alex himself was. He'd seemed interested in the apartment too but Alexander hadn't brought him back there yet, aside from the one brief trip they'd made when all hell had broken loose to begin with.

With that in mind he dug into the pocket of his pants and produced a key. He handed it to Eiryk.
"I had this made on the way back," he said solemnly. "To my apartment."

Alexander was still planning to move back into his place. As much as he loved being here with Eiryk, it made sense for him to live in his apartment over the store. It was his, after all. He loved Eiryk, too, but he couldn't just move in like that. He wanted Eiryk to have the key though. Although he was still a little self-conscious about his own living space Alex didn't think for a second Eiryk wouldn't be spending some time there. At least he hoped that would be the case.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Torture, pure torture. That is what Alex was doing to him. He was hungry and sulking that his boyfriend might moving out and what did Alexander do, taunted him. The arm of the chair wasn't close enough for Eiryk, but it would do for now.

"We could go down and take a look. How much have you got left to do before you open?"Â?

Truthfully Eiryk didn't really want to go and see the store. He knew it was coming along nicely, but he didn't like the idea that it was almost done. Well he did, he wanted Alex to have his store back. He didn't want the man to go stir crazy, besides Alex enjoyed his store. Eiryk wouldn't take that away.

He took the offered key and frowned. It was just confirmation of what he'd started to suspect. But he took the key and closed his hand tightly around it.

"You keep this up and I'll need a keyring just for you."Â?

Eiryk said with forced joviality. He knew this was good and how it had to be, so he was trying to be supportive. At least he was trying not to be a total downer about it. He should be happy. This nasty rough spot for Alex was over, he could get his life back together. Granted that meant less time for them together, but it couldn't be all about them.
"Not much at all," Alex said. Really, he'd been working both day and night to get his store back together and it looked great. He could probably open tomorrow but Eiryk was right; business would be slow that week anyway. His answering machine message had also stated the store would be open after the new year too, so he wouldn't push it and shoot himself in the foot. He'd open as planned after this weekend.

At Eiryk's comment Alex smiled, shook his head, and brushed his fingertips over Eiryk's collarbone down to his neck, feeling the weight of the antiquated key hat hung there now, instead of around his own.
"I'm glad it's with you," he said, bending down and resting his head against Eiryk's.

He wasn't fooled; something was bothering Eiryk and even Alex had a clue what it was. He didn't know what to say though.

"Hey," he said, "We're still going to see plenty of each other."

He suspected that was a lie; he had yet to get enough of Eiryk and they'd been living together for nearly two months. "We'll have a couple hours when I'm done for the night and before you go to work. And Saturday night and all day Sunday. It'll be good."

He peered anxiously into Eiryk's face.
"Right? It'll be okay."
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Well that's good."Â?

Rushing around like mad to do everything at the last second wasn't the ideal way to do something like reopening a store. But more to the point it meant he didn't have to lose Alex any sooner than necessary.

He just kissed Alex's temple. Of course the key was with him, where else would it be. He probably wouldn't always wear it like this but there was no doubt in Eiryk's mind it would always be with him. Even when Alex couldn't be.

It didn't seem right. Not at all. They loved each other, they were in love and so.... Alex was moving out. That wasn't how couples usually did things.

"Of course. I mean even if you were here you'd have to adjust your schedule back to more normal hours. I don't know too many outdoor enthusiasts who shop at midnight."Â?

He smiled reassuringly at Alexander. They would make it work. This wasn't ideal but he wasn't about to give up just because of something like this.
Alex laughed softly. "Not many midnight shoppers, no."

Once again he was overcome by the urge to ask Eiryk why, why he refused to go outside during the day or alter his hours just by the tiniest margins. Alexander had wracked his brain trying to figure that out. He'd come up with some pretty outrageous hypotheses. But at the end of the day it didn't make any sense to him.

However, he'd promised to leave it alone and leave it he did. Eiryk wouldn't change it and Alex wouldn't ask it of him again. If it was that important to Eiryk then Alex respected his choice. It wasn't really in Alex's nature to try to make someone something they weren't. He didn't appreciate it being done to him. So, it made life interesting. And it was very nearly about to make life difficult. Who cared though. He had enough resolve to eke out a living for himself; he could easily apply that determination to his relationship.

He changed the subject away from the depressing idea of packing his things and going back to his apartment. He would rather see Eiryk happy again.
"What would you like to do tonight? Want to go out? Catch a movie? Stay in, not catch one? Tell me."

His brown eyes were earnest; Eiryk without a smile was completely out of place.
Eiryk 13 years ago
It was hard not to ask Alex if he wanted to work on a niche market or just to stay here. But... oh maybe he could. Well he could except Alexander was looking at him like a big Greek puppy dog. OK so he was a total sap but there was no way Eiryk could do anything that might possibly upset him.

"Hmmmm well I picked our vacation. I vote you pick. But if you want to go out I have to get dressed."Â?

Eiryk nuzzled Alexander's neck, reminding him of the fact that he was hungry, but also gestured to the fact that he still hadn't gotten dressed and only really had his pajama bottoms on. Well he had pulled on a t-shirt, his Christmas present.

"Not that I'm opposed to dressing."Â?

He suddenly wished there was a fireplace in his apartment. The fire had been so cozy in their little cabin.

"Maybe we should find one of those faux fireplaces for in here. What do you think?"Â?

Even if he wasn't living here every day this was still Alex's home. Eiryk wouldn't hear of anything less.
Alex frowned at Eiryk. "The question was, what did you want to do," he pointed out. "If you leave it up to me though I'd say we stay in. I've been out all day."

And most of the evening. But that didn't really matter; if Eiryk wanted to go someplace he was fine with it.
"I'm all for leaving you cute and disheveled. It's a good look for you."

They maintained a decent mix, he thought, of going out and staying in. Then again, Alex was used to not being a "go out" person in general so maybe to Eiryk it wasn't such a good balance. He never complained though. Alex wasn't sure he would.

The question of the fireplace made Alex think Eiryk wasn't opposed to staying in. He certainly didn't seem to have much get up and go tonight. it was probably best they stay here; in spite of Eiryk's reassurances that he was tired he could be coming down with something and not know it.

Alex leaned back and regarded Eiryk thoughtfully, then looked around the apartment.
"Honestly, I think it's a little tacky," he said. "It's a shame you don't have a real one."

He had some plans for his own apartment but he didn't mention those; it would be years before he could implement them and he didn't want to jinx himself by assuming Eiryk would be around in several years.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"It is a better look for you."Â?

Eiryk chuckled a bit at Alex's response, although it wasn't loud, it was just as likely that Alexander would feel the laugh as hear it. He pulled the other man off his perch on the arm of the chair and into his lap.

"And the answer is I want to do what you want to do. If you've spent enough time out today,"Â? Without me, he added to himself, "then we shall stay in. We can be utterly domestic. I'll knit you a pair of slippers to match that blanket."Â?

He had the extra yarn for it thank god. He'd never be able to match those colors again.

Tacky? Eiryk frowned and thought about it. He wanted a fire place now damned it. But adding one to an apartment building like this would be impossible. Honestly he wouldn't even know where to start and could only imagine the cost would be obscene, even by his standards.

"I think it is now my mission in life to find a non-tacky one. That or move. But to tell the truth I'd rather find a non-tacky one. Or maybe we could find a weekend place."Â?
"But you're not biased," Alex teased. "Good to know you're giving me your objective opinion."

Eiryk tugged him off the arm of the chair and Alex went along with it, sprawling across the chair and hanging his head over the opposite side, peering at the rest of the room upside-down. He was too tall to curl up anywhere, really, but he could do a reasonable sprawl. At least it hid the fact that he was rolling his eyes at Eiryk's response.

"So you want to do what I want to do and vice versa." He lifted his head briefly. "We'll never get anywhere this way." He let it drop again.

"No, no slippers," he said, waving his hand vaguely at Eiryk. "I never wear them. Besides, I don't want anything to match my blanket. It's one of a kind and it should stay that way."

He was very proprietary about that particular gift of Eiryk's. He loved it more than he could express in words, as he'd proven over Christmas. He wasn't sure where he'd put it when he got back to his apartment; he suspected it would simply travel from the living room to the bedroom with him, and back.

Alex laughed hard enough to nearly fall off the chair himself at Eiryk's new mission.
"Really? How can you have a non-tacky faux fireplace? A fireplace is supposed to have fire in it," he insisted. "It seems to me that if it can't actually fill that purpose, it's not a fireplace."
Eiryk 13 years ago
"But why would we want to go any where? It is nice here."Â?

Which doubled as a very oblique way of Eiryk asking Alex not to move out and just stay with him, officially move in. They'd get a pet or a plant, other than his bonsai, and raise it together.

There were much worse things than having Alexander sprawled all over him. Eiryk relaxed and cheered up considerably under the circumstances. He could brood later, right now there were other things holding his attention.

"The slippers would be one of a kind too."Â? He protested. "Besides what else am I going to do with the extra wool? I don't think there is enough for a poncho. Maybe a hat, or gloves."Â?

Eiryk had a box full of yarn that he'd not used for one thing or another. Once in a while he got a bee in his bonnet and tried to do something with it all. He was pleased enough with the dye work he'd done for Alex's blanket that he didn't want that to go to waste.

"In this world you can find -anything- even things that don't exist. I'm sure there is a portable, self contained, fire place that doesn't need a flue or a chimney or anything like that."Â?

He said haughtily. That was the second time that night he had almost sort of kind of touched on the idea of hinting at what he was. He wanted to put the idea in Alex's mind some how, but he wasn't sure how to do it. Better to say he was hungry and then nuzzle Alex's neck and to say that things that don't exist do exist. Maybe he could let Alexander know the cliff was there before they started thinking about jumping off it.
Alex lifted his head again to smile at Eiryk. "Yeah. It's nice here," he agreed. Mostly because it was where Eiryk was. It was a little on the posh and elegant side for Alex, who preferred things a little less... well, high class maybe.

Alex raised an eyebrow at Eiryk. He wasn't the poncho-wearing type.
"Maybe a hat and gloves." he suggested. "Then I could wear you around. Figuratively."

Though the idea of wearing Eiryk was definitely appealing. Maybe a little bit avaunt garde for Alex's usual fashion tastes and probably more than a little bit cumbersome. They should probably stick to indoors for that sort of thing. The daydream occupied him for a few moments before he yanked his attention back to what Eiryk was saying.

"Money can't buy everything," he pointed out. "I mean, if it doesn't exist it just doesn't exist."

He would never understand Eiryk's complete okay-ness with hurling money at an issue to get what he wanted. Well all right; he understood it, but he'd never get used to his boyfriend being able to do so. The concept was just not in Alexander's realm of comprehension.

"And if I'm wrong, then I want... a... a unicorn."

He picked the first nonexistent thing that came to mind and immediately rolled his eyes at himself. Could he have picked anything gayer? His parents, in is head, were aghast. Then he shrugged. Well why not? He didn't have anything against unicorns.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Reaching for his lovers hands Eiryk studied them. Clever, practical and yet beautiful, just like Alex. Kissing the tips of those fingers he set the hands back down.

"How about a hat and scarf? I'm not sure I have ever made gloves, or even mittens. Although I do think you might want to fill me in on this 'wearing me around' idea. Of course I'd be a stunning accessory and compliment every outfit."Â?

Eiryk was extremely hard pressed not to laugh at what he'd just said. One too many episodes of Project Runway apparently. One too many or not he did wish the new season would hurry up and start.

"Or maybe it is a big secret known only to a select few. Or maybe it hasn't been discovered yet."Â?

He continued doggedly. Baby steps. Just tiny little baby steps. Maybe next week he'd try something else.

The idea of a unicorn though made him laugh.

"A unicorn? Really not something more glamorous and cliché and sexy?"�

There had been a surge in vampire books, movies, etc of late. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for Alexander to have been acquainted with or even interested in some of it. Maybe. It could happen.

"But if you're set on a unicorn we can see what we can do. Are you looking for the sparkly horse kind or the more classical semi-goatish one?"Â?
"Sold." Alex could handle a homemade hat and scarf. Gloves were maybe not the best option if Eiryk had never attempted that... not that Alex would have minded six fingers on each glove; he'd have worn them anyway.

He laughed at Eiryk's total lack of modesty. That was never his strong suit and Alex couldn't argue with him. Eiryk was pretty hot.
"You just use your imagination," he said with a smile, "and whatever you need clarification on I'll fill in in a little while."

For some reason Eiryk was hung up on this entire "nonexistent things" topic tonight. It didn't bother Alex; when Eiryk got something in his head it tended to stay there until he got it out of his system. Why Alexander had said 'unicorn' though escaped him. That's where they were headed though, so in for a nickel in for a dime.

"The goat-like ones aren't nearly as pretty," he said. "So we may as well go full-on sparkly. And what did you have in mind that was glamorous and cliche and sexy? You're obviously giving this a lot of thought."
Eiryk 13 years ago
"We have an accord!"Â?

Alexander would look quite cute in a hat Eiryk decided. He knew a pattern or two he could do in a morning.

The next suggestion/promise/hint had him feeling a little melty.

"I'm yours to do with as you will oh wise one."Â?

He had all sorts of ideas that Alex could do with him. All sorts. Maybe tonight would be more experimental than cuddly, although, it could be both. Eiryk decided to daydream a little about this and let his fingers do some day dreaming too.

"Sparkly?! I thought you had taste.[/i]

Eiryk poked Alex in the side with the intent of tickling him. Just a little bit to get his attention. And to keep from having to say something. Sure he'd started hinting but that didn't tmean he was quite ready to say it.

"Well if you are going to go full on sparkly you might as well go full on teenager and do the whole Twilight thing."Â?

Eiryk made a face, quite clearly demonstrating his distaste for the subject cliche as they were at least Anne Rice gave the subject some panache.
Alexander smiled smugly at Eiryk from his prone position across the chair. "Mine huh? I like that idea. I'll think of a suitable way to wear you if you give me a few minutes. I think this requires careful forethought and preparation and hey! I have taste!"

He squirmed around as Eiryk tickled his ribs, eventually sliding backwards off the chair, bracing his hands on the floor, and pulling himself up and over to sit safely to the side.

"I ended up with you, right? That's pretty good taste."

He raised his eyebrows at the Twilight reference.
"I don't get the whole sparkly thing. What does that have to do with Twilight?"

He'd heard it joked about but he'd never seen the movies or read the books so the reference was lost on him.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Alex's flexibility was always rather amazing. And it wasn't just that he was bendy he had the strength and control to do something with said bend. All things being equal it was probably easier to wear Alex.

"I don't want to give you too long, you might change your mind."Â?

Eiryk said with a sly grin.

"Well yes, I can't argue with you there. But I think I get to say the same about you and your quiet understated elegance."Â?

Son of a bitch. Eiryk thought this was firm enough in pop culture he wouldn't have to actually say the word. Well now he was just going to have to think of a way to manage it.

"Doesn't something in those books sparkle? Leprechauns? Vampires? Werewolves? Idiot love struck teenagers? I thought sure something sparkled in the sunlight in that drivel."Â?
Alexander raised his eyebrows at Eiryk. Rolling to his knees he surged forward and wrapped his arms around Eiryk, pulling him close. "I'm not going to change my mind."

And then he was shaking with laughter again, the solemn moment gone, looking at his boyfriend with wide eyes. "Quiet understated how was that again?" He looked down at himself... right, yoga pants and a tee that badly needed changing were totally elegant. Eiryk was clearly ill, or soon to be.

"We might need to get you into bed sooner rather than later. You've got the flu or something."

The Twilight topic wouldn't quit and Alex shrugged at Eiryk. "I dunno," he said helplessly. "I never bothered to read those. They just seemed like whiny teenage romance and angst books. What do they have to do with my sparkly unicorn?"