Cold Hands, Warm Heart (attn: Alex)

It was deliciously cold out these days and while not a massive Christmas person or fan Eiryk did enjoy the season. While he'd been planning things for some time now being at his studio downtown and seeing all the lights and shoppers, like something from The Christmas Song, had put him in a very festive mood. Well that or possibly just knowing that when he got home Alex would be there.

He hadn't worn gloves tonight and while his hands were never exactly warm right now, as he walked in and kicked his shoes off they were ice cold. So of course, the first thing he did was to place one on either side of Alex's face and kiss him.

"Hi honey I'm home."Â?

It was positively domestic. Eiryk was more than a little happy to have his boyfriend living with him it just felt right.

Hoping the shock of the cold would have slowed Alexander down a bit he quickly trotted back to reclaim his shoes and then off to put them away. Odds were there would be retaliation and that was fine, part of the game. But he didn't have to make it easy.

Alex Aristos 13 years ago
Alex had very little to do during the day. He couldn't spend time in his store right now, not even to reorganize. It was being repaired and there was stuff everywhere. So he'd taken to reluctantly enjoying the free time he had during the day. Living with Eiryk meant he'd begun to alter his schedule some, too, sleeping until mid-morning or noon, and going back to bed in the early hours of the morning. That way he had some daytime for himself and some evening time with Eiryk. How it was going to work out when his store was opened again after the new year was frustrating to consider but Alex was determined to make it happen.

That evening he was sitting on Eiryk's couch with a book. He'd done anything around the apartment that had needed to be done; vacuuming, laundry, cleaning the kitchen. He'd made dinner earlier and left a plate for Eiryk. The dishes were long dried and put away. It was nearing 1 am when Eiryk walked in.Alex turned to smile at him, kissed him back, and then resumed reading.

If Eiryk was going to put his ice-cold hands on his face and then run away, well, Alex would just wait until he changed his mind. Alex would gladly have warmed him up if he'd just held still. Knowing Eiryk didn't much like being ignored, Alex simply turned his head back to his book, a slight smile on his face, and waited.
Eiryk 13 years ago
There was a distinct lack of sounds indicating that Alex was following him. This was wrong. Eiryk took a very long time putting his shoes away and still nothing. He was trying to come up with reasons to stall, to make Alex come looking for him but was failing. It was positively ironic that Alex, who was considerably younger, had so much more patience.

Giving up Eiryk padded into the living room, cocked his head at Alex who was still reading and sulked for a second looking a bit like a blond puppy. He then settled on the couch, if by settled one could say he sprawled over his lover leaving his head in Alex's lap in a very passive aggressive, if less than subtle, demand for attention.

"Did you miss me?"Â?

He needed Alex to pay attention to him. -Needed-. And then once he was paying attention he might tell him about their Christmas plans. Given the little he knew of Alex's family Eiryk very much doubted there would be any plans to go visit them. So Eiryk had come up with better plans.
Alexander didn't have too long to wait. Eiryk was more an 'instant gratification' kind of guy whereas it was Alex who was used to waiting for what he wanted. He knew if he sat still long enough Eiryk would find him. And there he was, looking at Alex who didn't raise his eyes from his book.

Finally Eiryk flopped down. Alex lifted his book up, still reading, so Eiryk couldn't 'unintentionally' knock it out of the way, and kept flipping pages. About thirty seconds after Eiryk asked him his question, Alex slid his bookmark in place, set the book aside, looked down, bent forward, and kissed Eiryk on his forehead.

"Of course I missed you," he said. Then he grabbed Eiryk's cold hands and rubbed them between his own. "Didn't you bring your gloves tonight?"
Eiryk 13 years ago
It was a very long thirty seconds, at least five minutes by Eiryk's watch but he did eventually win. Alex paid attention to him. At least Eiryk counted it as a win. He smiled and let Alexander try and warm up his hands.

"Brought them, yes. Use them, no."Â?

He'd had them on as he left the studio but then some one need something and he'd pulled them off to help with some of the delicate work and had half forgotten half not bothered to put them back on.

Happily snuggling back up against Alex Eiryk wound his arm around the other man, nearly falling off the sofa in the process. He wondered if it was too late to ignore a movie. Alexander had been very generous in adjusting his schedule but Eiryk didn't want to keep him up too late. Well... keeping him up was... any way.

"And what about you gorgeous? What did I miss out on while I was gone?"Â?
Alex heaved and pulled and kept Eiryk from rolling right onto the floor, shaking his head at his boyfriend. "Well good thing you brought them. Maybe next they could go, like, on your hands or something."

He arched his brows at Eiryk and then laughed when Eiryk simply brushed it off and snuggled up. This was Alex's favorite time of night. He was sleepy, Eiryk was here and in a cuddly mood, and in general they just had nothing to worry about. It was quiet time.

"Oh, nothing earth-shattering," he said. "I went for a walk. Then I came home and cleaned. it was fascinating. Next I'll be getting my nails done and watching the soaps."

He wrinkled his nose. Crashing at Eiryk's was well and good but Alex was about to go out of his mind with boredom. He'd caught up on his delinquent education of Nachton, visiting the aquarium, the gardens, the library, and the historical society. He was happy he would have his store back in a couple weeks. It would be just in time to keep him from going insane.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Gloves? On hands? That is so very three years ago."Â?

Half running his hands over whatever parts of Alex happened to be nearest he also absently streched and picked up the book, casually checking the title. He had an idea about a Christmas present and was working on getting a feel for Alex's taste in literature. Placing the book back he shook his head.

"You don't have to clean you know. I do know which end of a vacuum to use."Â?

And had a very good cleaning service he called from time to time.

Poor Alex. He was used to being doing stuff. Eiryk could feel Alex was a bit frustrated and hoped his plan would distract him a little bit.

"So what plans do we have for Christmas? You feel like cooking again?"Â?
Alex gave Eiryk an affectionate, gentle rap on the head for his fashion statement. He was definitely getting far too used to this sort of thing. He didn't realize he could get so comfortable living with someone else. They shared space well; Eiryk had cleared out part of his closet and dresser for Alex, whose things didn't take up much room. They were both pretty neat keepers and each of them had adjusted one or two habits to work with the other... it was too comfortable. He realized he'd actually miss this when it was over.

But he was going back to his place when everything was working again. Alex had worked too long and too hard to drop it at the first sniff of romance. Besides, Eiryk hadn't intimated that this arrangement would or should last beyond the restoration of Alex's own place. Was he just imagining that Eiryk enjoyed it too?

Alex blinked at Eiryk for a second.
"Eiryk, what else am I going to do? Holy crap, don't take the cleaning away from me too." He wasn't too proud to beg. Two more weeks and he'd have a job again, and he desperately needed a job. Eiryk refused to take anything for letting Alex stay with him which was a relief but Alex still needed something to fill his time and taking care of Eiryk's apartment both gave him something to do and served as a thank you.

He didn't miss the 'we' in Christmas. It made him happy.
"We," he said, giving the word a little emphasis, "are going to enjoy our holiday. Whatever we do. Did you want me to cook? I can."

Alex hadn't thought about Christmas. Like most holidays he generally held his breath until it was over. This one would be just as different as Thanksgiving.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Sudoku puzzles? You could... learn to play an instrument. Organize my sock drawer."Â?

He said the last one with a wicked grin, obviously not serious at all. Honestly he didn't have a good suggestion for what Alex could do, but Eiryk also didn't care. If he wanted to do nothing but lounge around watching movies and making art out of paper clips Eiryk would be fine with that. He just wanted Alex with him. Here when he got up, when he came home, asleep in his bed with him.

"But if you want to clean you clean. I'll even make a bigger messes, make it more challenging if you want."Â?

He grinned broadly when Alex offered to cook again. That was too sweet for words. But Eiryk had other plans he wanted to treat Alex this time.

"Well your dinner was amazing and I did love having everyone over. It was fun. But I thought maybe we'd do something more intimate. Maybe get away for a few days. If you don't have plans."Â?
"You're such a helper," Alex complained with good-natured sarcasm. He shook his head. "Any mess you make I'll clean up." He'd already proven that several times over although he generally stuck to trying to minimize the amount of mess-making. Some things just couldn't be avoided, however. He made a mental note to organize Eiryk's sock drawer just to screw with him a little bit.

Eiryk's suggestion had him considering.
"A getaway? To where?"

The list of places Alex could afford to go to was pretty short. But maybe, just maybe he could swing something. It was Christmas after all and he was hardly likely to be traveling up to Maryland. And it would be with Eiryk.

"I could be talked into it," he said.

Christmas, and then a week or so, and he would be leaving. That thought hit him harder than he'd expected it to. Leave? He didn't actually want to go. Surprising. Alexander liked having his own space. He had never lived with a roommate who hadn't eventually gotten on his nerves. In most cases, 'eventually' happened very quickly. Not so with Eiryk. They seemed to work together nicely. More than.

Alexander tightened his arms around Eiryk.
"In fact, it sounds like a great idea."
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Anything for you love."Â?

Eiryk said with easy good humor.

It was a good thing he was sprawled over Alex's lap right then or he would have been half bouncing and rather giddy. It was very exciting that he was apparently interested. Now if he could just find away to suggest that Alex just officially move in with him things would be near perfect.

"Oh good. I'm not sure I was going to give you the option. I might just have kidnapped you if you'd said no."Â?

Kidnapped could be fun. Eiryk started musing aloud long those lines. Muttering things about capture, and rescue. He'd like to rescue Alex and then they could turn it around. It would be fun to be rescued as well.

Feeling Alex's embrace tighten Eiryk grinned like a Cheshire Cat.

"Good. Because we're going. I've made all the plans. But I'm don't think I'm going to tell you where."Â?
Oh, yeah. Alex was totally organizing Eiryk's sock drawer when he fell asleep later that morning.

"Anything, huh?"

He grinned down at Eiryk, unable to resist a little bit of a leer. With every passing week he relaxed more and more with Eiryk and his sense of humor found its place. He started to think he'd really been paranoid. His fears that Eiryk would grow tired of him were fading, replaced with the much warmer contentment of feeling, well, loved.

"You already made plans?" Alex frowned slightly at Eiryk. "But I hadn't even said yes yet."

He wasn't terribly surprised. Eiryk was a little overzealous sometimes. Alex wouldn't have put it past him to plan a vacation before actually asking.

"Any other plans I should know about?"
Eiryk 13 years ago
With that leer Eiryk's smile only grew. He stretched and twisted about in Alex's lap suggestively, encouraging Alex.

"Anything. Did you have something specific in mind?"Â?

He waggled his eyebrows. That hadn't been at all what he meant but since it was out there it seemed a shame to waste it. Although he could be perfectly content just like this for hours. Let Alex read, he'd watch a movie, they could fall asleep just like this and he'd perfectly content. Maybe for days. Eiryk didn't think there had been a void in his life, but Alex filled something in him. He -liked- coming home and having Alex here.

Laughing Eiryk's innocent grin became a leer.

"Like you can say no to me. I would have worn you down eventually, I just saved us both the trouble this way is all."Â?

Now he just had to pray that Alex would like it. He'd pulled out all the stops for their first vacation together, he'd wanted it to be special, perfect. He wanted to indulge Alex.

"Hmmmmm.... no, I don't think so. I so like to be spontaneous. Wait... you don't have any allergies I should be aware of, do you?"Â?
"Oh just everything." The mutual leering was definitely going to lead them somewhere else, something neither of them minded at all. Later though. For now he was definitely feeling the snuggly mood.

He shifted slightly on the couch, sinking further into the soft cushions, pulling Eiryk up against him. He sighed happily and closed his eyes.
"Mmm. No, I probably couldn't have said no. I have a weakness for hot blonds. One in particular anyway."

He dismissed the annoying feeling of obligation. It was all right if Eiryk wanted to do something nice. Alex didn't have to stand on pride over every little detail. Besides in the next few weeks he'd be moving back into his place and re-opening his store. And he wouldn't see nearly as much of Eiryk. A short vacation together would be great.

"Allergies? No, I don't think so. Why, do you?"

It was an unusual question given the context. Alex tilted his head as he looked down at Eiryk, suddenly far more curious.
"You're sure you don't want to tell me?"

A secret vacation. Suddenly Alex wondered just how overboard Eiryk might have gone. Well, he hadn't asked if Alex had a passport. That was for the best. Although he hoped Eiryk wasn't assuming, because Alex didn't actually have one of those, never having been out of the country before.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Mmmmmm Alex pillow. Eiryk adjusted a bit as Alex did. He smiled up at the closed eyes. Apparently they were both feeling content. This was the reason you lay in front of warm fires, or why cats lay in the sun. Cats though not vampires.

One eyebrow rose.

"I had better know any hot blonds you deal with. I think I'm inclined to be jealous where you are concerned."Â?

He was too. It wasn't Eiryk's fault no one had found Alex before him or hadn't realized he was well worth the time and effort and all those little nudged. But he had and now that he had him he wasn't about to let go.

Alex's sudden curiosity made Eiryk laugh. It started as a low chuckle but turned into a resonant warm laugh. His arms snaked up and he half sat up to kiss Alex.

"Yeah. Pretty sure."Â?

He then snuggled right back down as if nothing had ever happened.
"Go ahead and be jealous," Alex said with a stifled yawn. "I'm only interested in one blond."

He said it matter-of-factly although neither of them had ever really discussed how, well, exclusive they were. Alex, for his part, had never been the type to bounce from partner to partner. This being his first real relationship, he had no desire to test the waters anywhere else. He hesitated to point that out though; what if Eiryk had other ideas?

He dismissed that idea; nothing Eiryk had ever said or done gave him that impression. It was more that Alexander didn't like to make assumptions. While this one might be a fairly safe one to make, it also had the potential to be upsetting. So he dismissed the subject from mind for the moment.

"I thought you said it was spontaneous," he accused lightly. "Yet you've already made all these plans huh?"

As Eiryk burrowed against his chest he stroked his short, soft blond hair happily. Maybe there was no need to actually go to bed... he could sleep comfortably like this. In fact that sounded like a good plan. He reached out and plucked up the remote, flipped the TV on, and switched channels idly while he teased Eiryk.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Poor thing. It was late by Alex standards. Eiryk hated that their hours were so different but he couldn't change his schedule, not completely. He'd have a hard time leaving the towers if he kept Alex's hours. Still they had both adjusted as much as they could to the other's scheduled, with out any one saying anything. It had earned Alex some super huge brownie points. Not that he needed them, but it had.

"So long as that blond is me we are good."Â? He lay there, paused for dramatic effect and then added, "It is me isn't it?"Â?

While he might be over zealous and a touch enthusiastic Eiryk was a monogamous sort. Given how hard he'd had to work to talk Alex into going out he figured the same of Alex and so it wasn't even a question for him.

Oh he was going to purr if Alex kept that up. Instead Eiryk just stretched and let Alex flip channels. He'd carry his cute little Greek to bed once he fell asleep and then Eiryk had some more work to do. But right now Alex was his focus.

"Well there is spontaneous and then there is stupid. I spontaneously made the reservations to make sure we got a half way decent room and a shuttle from the airport. I -hate- fighting with holiday crowds and couldn't bear the idea of you sleeping on the streets. You'd stop doing my laundry if I did that."Â?

That last bit had been thrown in very flippantly and Eiryk was clearly kidding
Alex smiled as he idly flipped channels with one hand and lazily continued to run his fingers through Eiryk's hair with the other. It was tempting to tease Eiryk more, but It would have been mean-spirited. Eiryk had a cheerful, funny nature but some things seemed to hit him hard and Alex didn't think it would be at all kind to leave him hanging on that topic. So he just nodded and gave an "Mmmhmm," when Eiryk sought reassurance on the subject of Alex's affections.

He barked a short laugh at the laundry comment.
"I can sleep anywhere," he said. "Especially if you're there. But are you sure you're not getting just the tiniest bit spoiled over the whole housework thing?"

He grinned at Eiryk and settled on the Discovery channel. It looked like a Dirty Jobs marathon. Interesting, but not so interesting that it would keep him up too late watching it.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk smiled, happily reassured. It wasn't an in depth response or a declaration of undying love but it was good enough for him. More than good enough.

"I thought I kept you awake rather than putting you to sleep?"Â?

He half purred as Alex played with his hair.

"Mmmmm I'm perfectly capable of doing my own housework, including laundry."Â?

He even enjoyed it believe it or not. And when he didn't feel like it there were plenty of services that were happy enough to take over.

"I could spoil you if you'd like. It isn't like you have to earn your keep around here or anything."Â?

Alex wasn't a guest, he was... Eiryk wasn't quite sure what you'd call Alex this was his home too. Just as much as it was Eiryk's. He just didn't know how to make that clear.
The blanket that Eiryk had put on the back of the couch the first night Alex stayed there was still there. Alex reached out and tugged it down, spreading it over them both. It wasn't very heavy; chances are they wouldn't get too warm beneath it. Settling back down with a contented sigh he decided that this was a little taste of what heaven was like.

"Most nights yes," he said to Eiryk with a grin. "Or, at least, you wake me up before I go to sleep. Or something."

Which was exactly what would happen again if Eiryk didn't lie still for a bit. Not that Alex minded.

"I know you're capable, but why should you have to? I'm here. I can do it." Of course Eiryk never asked him to earn his keep. If anything, Alexander had to argue to be allowed to. "And you do spoil me," he added. "How could you spoil me more?"

He thought for a second.
"Then again, don't answer that."

Alex wasn't sure he'd like the answer. He suspected Eiryk was a lot more well-off than he let on, and Alex preferred not to think about his boyfriend being ultra wealthy. He didn't like the idea of becoming some kind of... kept man. And there was spoiling, and then there was ruining. Eiryk held back nicely. He did plenty of things for Alex that Alex wished he could return in kind; any more and Alex would be uncomfortable. Eiryk must have realized that.

"You didn't go too over the top on this vacation did you?" he asked, slightly suspicious. Eiryk did have a tendency to dive right in bank account first.
Eiryk 13 years ago
He probably should get up and turn out a light or two, give Alex a chance to fall asleep. But he didn't. Part of it was he didn't want to move, both because he was happy and because if he kept fidgeting Alex would never get to sleep.

"I'll start tip toeing."Â?

Eventually Eiryk was going to have to tell Alex everything, the vampire thing, the money thing, all of it. He opened his mouth to detail how he could further spoil Alex but stopped. He could though, estate in the country, posh downtown yoga studio with several employees, weekend trip to Europe, car, second phone line, there were options.

"Nope. Just a nice little trip for the two of us. I might have splurged a little it is a special occasion but not over the top."Â?

The limo from the airport was a little extra he could have just rented a car, and did most of the time. Eiryk, however, figured it was a bit of a drive and it would be nice if the didn't have to worry about the roads and could just enjoy themselves.