Nothing If Not Predictable (attn: Pakpao)

Aishe was not enjoying a night alone at home. Well. It wasn't that she wasn't enjoying it; it was just that it would have been better with Kiamhaat there. But Kem was working. Again, still, whatever. She smiled to herself as she carefully sliced an apple at the kitchen counter, making very small pieces out of it. She could hardly fault Kem for taking his jobs seriously. It was something she loved about him, his dedication to any task he took on. It left her lonely on occasions like tonight, but she was a big girl; she could cope.

An unexpected knock on the front door made her jump. Putting her knife aside she walked through the living room, peering out the front window and easily identifying Pak's car. Perking up considerably she crossed the room into the hallway and opened the front door to find Pak standing there.

"Hey Pak, I didn't know you were off tonight," she said, moving aside to let her friend in.

While Pak made herself at home (because it really was just as much Pak's home as Aishe and Kem's by now), Aishe headed back into the kitchen to finish slicing her apple, every now and then nibbling on a bite herself but putting most of it into a plastic bowl.

Pakpao 13 years ago
It hadn't been a conscious decision to go visit Aishe. And like a lot of her decisions, at least for anything outside of work, she'd made it on a gut level. She knew she wanted to talk to Aishe but didn't really quite know why. At least she didn't know how to put it into words. Since she knew where Kem was tonight it had seemed like a logical time to wander over.

She'd enjoyed the lights as she slowly drove through the residential streets. This was so much more Christmas-y than being stuck in elevators. Pak was even absently humming, slightly off key, with some carols. Who knew, she'd apparently recovered from the trauma of the mall.

Parking she knocked and was let in. As always Pak slid her shoes off and then smiled at the tree. It was pretty all lit up and very tempting to crawl around under it and see if there was a present for her, but she managed to restrain herself. By the time Aishe came back Pak was in her favorite corner of the sofa and curled up in her patented 'I need to say something but I know know exactly what or how to say it' position.

"Flex time. Or I gave me the night off, or some of both."Â?

Pak shrugged, it didn't matter. She was married to her job and was the boss besides. Very few people would give her trouble about a few hours off.

"Would have thought you'd be in though."Â?

In fact, she had half been hoping Aishe would be at work, then they could avoid this.
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe finished slicing the apple and walked around the counter, through the dining room, and to the back sliding door. Opening it, she placed the bowl on the back porch where four small raccoons were already sitting, waiting patiently but eagerly.

"Share nicely," she instructed them sternly. "I'll come out and play later."

Shutting the door she went back to the living room and sat on the recliner. She didn't miss Pak's face, body language, anything. Her friend clearly had something on her mind and Aishe had more than half a notion what it was.

"Well, they can't keep me there seven days a week," she pointed out. "And with Chris back things have been much less hectic."

Because Chris made everything better, Aishe thought warmly. How could anything not work like a well-oiled machine when Chris was around? She had infinite faith in her creator, adored him and figured he was capable of pretty much anything.

"So what brings you over here?" she asked Pak, dragging her attention back to the topic at hand. Normally when Pak came over to play she helped herself to a drink and fired up the wii or the television or something equally entertaining.

She had her suspicions but she'd rather Pak said what she wanted to say before Aishe played super-sleuth. This was an easy one though, based on what she knew of Pak and recent events.
Pakpao 13 years ago
"Sure they can. They do me."Â?

Pak said with a grin. Of course, she lived there so that was a little different. Maybe she should get a new place though. Maybe. But she didn't much like the idea of living away from the rest of the clan, even if like Kem and Aishe it was only a matter of block or a few miles.

"Good. I'm glad to hear that. So no new and wild surprises?"Â?

There hadn't been too much on the werewolf front. Pak didn't know everything but as she'd built that database and was administering it, she did keep up on things relatively well.

She was never sure if she admired Aishe's ability to keep a conversation focused or if it irritated her. It probably depended on the day and her mood and the conversation. Pak frowned, stared at the tree for a second and thoughtfully scratched her head. Trying to find a way of saying things without saying them.

"I... thought I'd just check up on you and Kem. It seems like I only ever see you one at a time."Â?

It wasn't a perfect answer, but at least she managed to get it in the ball park.
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe rolled her eyes at Pak. "Workaholic," she muttered cheerfully. While Aishe loved her job and didn't have any issues putting in overtime when asked, she also enjoyed her free time. She wasn't the type to slave happily away all of her waking hours.

"No new and wild surprises and that isn't necessarily true, you see us together all the time!"

That was a stretch, even for Pak. Just a few weeks ago they'd been to Eiryk's apartment for Thanksgiving dinner and shortly before that Pak had been over several times trying to prove ultimate superiority over Kem at Smash Bros. Brawl.

"So," she said with a little smile, "what you're really trying to say is you wanted to make sure things between the two of us are all right, in spite of your addition to our little mental family?"

Her green eyes fixed themselves on Pak. Aishe could be pretty intuitive when her friends were concerned. She'd kind of wondered when this particular conversation would take place. Pak could be a lot like Kiamhaat in certain regards and this was one of them.
Pakpao 13 years ago
"I'm getting better!"Â?

Pak protested. She was too, she would actually take days and nights off here and there now and didn't work through the day as often. Really, she just needed a hobby or three or something.

She was going to protest that one dinner did not qualify as 'all the time' and she did indeed see them separately more often than together but Aishe was doing her cut to the chase routine. It would have been very easy to retreat behind her walls of subrafuge, in fact she started to, but deliberately let them down a little. Aishe knew her almost as well as Kem so they weren't as useful as they could be. Besides that Pak didn't think it would be sporting to hide from Aishe, not now.

She squirmed a bit and nodded. Pak wasn't sure how she felt about all of this. Part of it was good, very good. This wouldn't have happened if Kem didn't need her and she didn't need him. At least she didn't think it would. But her relationship with Kem was that of a friend, a sister. Pak also felt like an intruder. She didn't really belong, not like this, not with Aishe. So she'd been very hesitant, cautious about this new thing. Oh sure she'd pulled at it once or twice just to make sure it was real, but she wasn't quite ready to use it.

"It is sort of odd. I mean you and Kem are... and I'm not and... well it doesn't quite fit. I don't want to be in the way or a third wheel or anything."Â?

And Aishe was going to have to tell her if she was. Pak didn't think Kem would say so even if she asked.
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe smiled at Pak and hid a laugh behind her hand as she coughed to cover it up. Third wheel, indeed.

"And so that's why you're here," she said when Pak stalled out. "Knowing Kem is at work. Because you wanted to find out what I thought, when it's very clear to you what he thinks."

Obviously Kem was happy to be bonded to Pak. Neither of them had any idea when it had really happened; between all of their respective abilities it hadn't really changed the dynamic. Both Kem and Pak were senders; Aishe's empathy filled in some holes; Kem's glamour made it easy for him to show either of them what he was thinking, even without the benefit of a bond. The only real significance to any of them was what it meant emotionally.

Aishe wasn't the jealous type. She never had been, and with Kiamhaat she had no need to be. Even if she didn't have her own bond with him, he was painfully careful to be forthright with her since his running-away mistake several years ago. He'd promised to always let her know what he was thinking and to Aishe's knowledge he'd never broken that promise.

She, in turn, wouldn't lie to Pak. There was no reason to. Aishe was happy.

"There's nothing better than this, Pak," she said cheerfully, with no evidence of falsehood. "Kem needs family to be happy. And if he's happy, I'm happy."

That much had always been true. Aishe loved her vampire with complete devotion. He often thought in terms of what she had given up for him; she thought in terms of what she'd gained in him.

"Besides," she pointed out, "you need family too. You two are very much alike. He loves you very much, you know. So do I. You're like a big sister. Or a cousin, or whatever. What I mean is, you're my family now, also."
Pakpao 13 years ago
"I thought that if you had any reservations it might be easier to say so without him around is all."Â?

The last thing Pak wanted was to be a source of conflict, even a little one.

Aishe seemed happy enough about it, but Pak was still a little dubious. It wasn't like she was moving in or they were a threesome, not in -that- sense any way, but it had to be odd that your boyfriend had a new voice/person/thing inside his head.

"I sort of want to say 'you're sure he's happy'. But I guess I should know that shouldn't I?"Â?

Pak absently fidgeted with a moonstone ring she some times wore. It was about the same age she was, made some time in the 1700s the stone wasn't very large but well cut and the gold setting showed off the stone quite well. Pak, however, wasn't looking at it, she was twisting it around her finger, pulling it off, putting it back on.

She wasn't sure if she was good at this bonded stuff yet or how to deal with it or what the rules were. And then Aishe being all sweet and making her sentimental, not Pak's best handled emotion, didn't help.

"I have a family, I mean the whole clan and then you two are special any way. This is sort of extra it shouldn't get in the way of you two. Not if you don't want it to."Â?

She was trying to hide the fact that she was happy to hear Aishe confirm it, accept it. She didn't know how you undid a bond, or if it could be done, any way.
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe raised her eyebrows at Pak. "We don't keep anything from each other," she said kindly. "Not anymore. Not since Chris turned me. Even if I had reservations, they'd have been gone the second I knew how much you meant to him. But as luck would have it, I have none either way."

Pak seemed to need further reassurance so Aishe provided it.
"There's love, and there's love," she pointed out. "You couldn't get in the way of what Kem and I share. Nuclear fission couldn't get in the way of that and wile I'll grant, you're a force to be reckoned with, you aren't an atom bomb."

How could Pak possibly get in the way of anything she and Kiamhaat shared? Their love for each other wasn't of a sexual nature, had never been, and wouldn't ever be. Aishe knew that with certainty; it was one of the benefits of a bond to begin with. If that had left her any doubt she had her empathy to back it up. Kem referred to Pak often as "senet," his sister.

"You remind him of his little sister, you know. That's part of the reason he calls you that. Senet. Her name was Ha-Neferet. He's told me about her, what he can remember. She sounds like you."

Aishe shrugged her shoulders at Pak. "There's room in our relationship for plenty of love," she said. "I don't know how we'd get along if not. I have people who I care about too, and he's never held that against me."
Pakpao 13 years ago
"I should have thought of that shouldn't I?"Â?

After all Aishe had been the one to point out that it would hard to keep her meeting from Bao from Kem thanks to the bond he and Aishe shared. OK she hadn't thought this all the way through. She was trying to get used to some of it still.

Pak smiled a warped little smile at Aishe trying to work out how to say she felt the same about her. Pak loved and trusted Aishe almost as much as she did Kem and it was a difference measured in millimeters.

She preened a little bit as Aishe called her a force to be reckoned with. In Pak-speak that was a compliment. At least she was very much going to take it as one.

Pak cocked her head at that. She knew what senet meant. PÄ•e chai meant about the same, closer to honored older brother but same concept. Not remembering her siblings terribly well, they'd not been terribly close, Kem didn't remind her of any one. So she was a bit surprised to hear that.

"I didn't know..."Â?

Not having ever known Aishe to lie Pak took a deep breath and relaxed. She might still be a little weirded out by all this but she felt a little better.

"Does this mean I can still date?"Â?

Pak asked with impish humor.
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe smiled at Pak. "You can be forgiven not being omniscient, I think," she said.

She nodded at Pak when she said she hadn't known. Aishe knew kem didn't speak of his family very much to anyone, but she had thought that perhaps he would have to Pak.
"Maybe you should ask him some time," she said.

It didn't pain him to talk about it the way it used to. Pak might be interested to hear and who knew, maybe it would help her too. Aishe didn't necessarily know the in's and out's of Pak's history but she knew there were certain parallels between the two of them.

When Pak asked her next question Aishe snorted indelicately.
"Oh I guess it does," she said with a wry smile. "Especially since your choice of date material is more than suitable. But if you ever go after someone else they'll have to fill out several forms, in triplicate, for us to research."

She looked at Pak, considering, for a few moments.
"You know, I always wanted a sister," she said. "I never imagined I'd get one this way but it fits."
Pakpao 13 years ago
"Well don't spread it around that I'm not. I have a reputation."Â?

She had several, but that was neither here nor there. This was more teasing than anything.

Having committed his sister's name to memory Pak nodded. She would find a good time and ask him. He'd listened to her ramble about her children she would like to do the same. She might get to know more about Mara too. The trick was finding the right time and place. Well it would come. She wasn't worried.

Pak rolled her eyes.

"Any one else I'm having you run a background check on."Â?

She frowned a bit though. This was just one more thing on the complicated list. How in the world did that list keep getting longer? Maybe she could slide the whole bond thing in between the prostitute thing and the whole turned and dumped on the side of the road thing, oh and she had to explain Bao some how. All she could do was hope Artemis would understand.

Fortunately Aishe didn't let her dwell on that too long. It was Pak's turn to smile wryly.

"I'm old enough to be your great, great, great, great etc. grandmother. But I think I like sister better."Â?

Impulsively Pak pulled Aishe in to a hug. It was a huge relief to have this be OK.
Aishe 13 years ago
"I can totally run a background check, but hopefully there won't need to be one."

Pak and Artemis seemed to get on fairly well. Aishe knew it had hurt Pak when he'd disappeared, but they'd all been affected by the AWOL leadership. Aishe was still beside herself to have Christian back. She felt like a baby vampire still but it was all right, her creator was home and hopefully would stay for a while.

She waved her hand at Pak's list of 'greats' and rolled her eyes.
"Oh please. When we're both old and doddering and in our sixteen hundreds like Kem it won't make a bit of difference, a hundred years here or there."

Aishe gave Pak an innocent little smile. They'd all poked fun at Kiamhaat's age at one time or another. It was particularly amusing to point out the difference between his and Aishe's ages. Nothing like robbing the cradle. he generally took it with good grace. After all, he was perfectly capable of dishing it out as well as taking it.

When Pak hugged her Aishe was surprised but didn't hesitate to wrap her arms around Pak and squeeze.
"You know I'm happy about this," she reaffirmed. "I'm only sorry neither one of us is a bonder, so we can't complete the circle."
Pakpao 13 years ago
"I hope so too."Â?

Pak liked Artemis, she must have if she'd been willing to let him explain why he disappeared and then forgiven him for it on top of that. He was cute and sweet and made her laugh, there had been much worse starts to relationships in the world.

Laughing Pak shook her head.

"I think I'll stop counting at a thousand and give you some time to catch up."Â?

Not being an overly huggy person Pak had surprised herself by embracing Aishe but was not at all surprised it would be returned. Something about that felt right, natural.

"Triangle."Â? She corrected absently. Three points made a triangle not a circle. "You are young. Give it a few hundred years. It wouldn't surprise me if you learned a new trick or five."Â?

It was possible Pak would learn a new trick or two eventually as well. As she and Kem already shared a handful of abilities it would amuse Pak to no end to develop another one Kem had 'beaten' her to.

"You'd best learn this one though. I'm tired of following in older brother's footsteps."Â?

Pak's lips quirked into an odd smile at her little bit of humor.
Aishe 13 years ago
"That's kind of you," Aishe said wryly. "I'll be sure to catch up as quickly as possible."

Pak's correction made Aishe laugh.
"Okay, triangle it is. And," she pointed out loyally, "you could follow in worse footsteps."

She meant it lightly but sincerely. Sure, Kem had made his share of mistakes and moves both foolish and faulty, but it still took something of an edge to survive 1600 years, 800 of those alone, and come out of it sane and swinging.

Aishe was glad she wouldn't have to do the same, and forgave her vampire his various foibles. He did do his best to overcome them, after all.

"Regardless of whose footsteps you decide to walk in I think you're doing pretty well, all things considered."

Loyalty extended to all of her family and therefore Aishe was equally encouraging with Pak. She wondered what it must be like, having such a different experience with her turning. What Aishe saw and what Pak and Kem saw must be very different.
Pakpao 13 years ago
It was a mathematically sound observation, so Pak only nodded when Aishe agreed to it. Aishe had to agree, after all she was right. She was always right, except when she wasn't.

"Oh they are fine foot steps, but he has big feet."Â?

In comparison to her own tiny feet especially. And though it was a humorous response Pak meant it sincerely, Kem had big shoes to fill.

Pak looked away a little sheepishly, a little embarrassed by the praise. She'd had too many issues, made too many mistakes to really consider that she was doing well.

"I'm not sure about that. Maybe I'm getting better but..."Â?

She shrugged half dismissing the topic.

"I am proud of you though. You've done so well."Â?

Truly Pak was impressed with the way Aishe had handled things. Everything from tracking Kem down in Nachton to deciding to be come a vampire to her choice of creator. Aishe should be proud of herself.
Aishe 13 years ago
"Proud of me?" Aishe blinked at Pak. "You must be kidding."

She smiled widely. "Pak, I'm lucky I didn't get myself killed five times over. I think back now on what I did and it seems like the most foolish move ever made." She held out a hand as if to prevent a misunderstanding. "Not being turned, I mean."

She shook her head. "I love being Evenhet. I love being a vampire." That much was true. Aishe liked what and who she was. She could have lived as a human just fine, but she didn't regret her turning by any means. "The way I came here though..."

She rolled her eyes at her own impulsiveness, something that had been out of character then and had not been repeated. "I'm just amazed I didn't get snacked on and left in a dumpster. I've had nothing but luck since then, and that includes everything from meeting Chris to finding Kem and being friends with you."

Aishe was, if nothing else, further proof that well-adjusted vampires existed and that turning need not be traumatic. She wouldn't change anything that had happened to her.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak smiled at the young vampire and shook her head.

"It wasn't foolish. It was maybe a little impulsive and dangerous but it wasn't foolish. You knew what you wanted and set about getting it. It wasn't perfect but it was a very good thing that you did."Â?

Off the top of her head she couldn't think of any one who'd meet Aishe who would say anything different. She knew it was a good thing that Aishe was here, that she'd met her and gotten to know her.

"For more than one of us."Â?

Now at that Pak snorted. OK there was some truth in what Aishe had said, but she knew Kem. She had to know that it wasn't just luck.

"Speaking as some one who was left in a dumpster, well the side of the road any way, you make your own luck and you've done a damned fine job of it. Better than a lot of us. So you just let me be proud of you OK?"Â?

There really wasn't any self pity in that statement. Oddly enough meeting with Bao had made Pak a little more OK with what happened to her. She didn't like it, she wasn't proud of it, she hadn't really forgiven him but she'd more or less accepted what had happened. Oh she still worried about how people would perceive her if they knew, but that was another hurdle for another time.

Rather than self pity, it was instead a good natured chiding of Aishe than anything. Pak wasn't going to let her belittle her accomplishments.
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe shook her head at Pak and laughed. "Okay, okay. Be proud, I won't stop you! I was just trying to be realistic. It worked out this time, but I won't make that mistake again."

No, she would employ careful planning and preparation the next time she meant to do something foolish.

"Either way we're all here now, and somehow we managed to find each other. It makes sense that we stick together, and even more sense that we're linked in the closest way possible. I'm happy for it."

She thought she had set Pak's fears on that score to rest. If Aishe had had any problems with it, she would have told Kem. Or possibly Pak herself. But she couldn't ever see herself holding a grudge against Kem because he had friends. Sure, she worried slightly about the fact that he'd take responsibility for those he was bonded to and he never took that lightly or easily, but Aishe didn't doubt for a second that such a thing was good for him, or for Pak too. They worked together. They all did.
Pakpao 13 years ago
"It is good that you recognize that I'm right."Â?

Pak smiled smugly, quite pleased with herself for convincing Aishe that she was right.

That was true enough. Pak took a deep breath and squeezed her eyes shut considering this whole situation. It was good. It was very good. While the clan was family, there was a difference between extended and immediate family. This was the closet she'd come to having an immediate family, a nuclear family in almost three hundred years. Pak had to wonder if Aishe could even understand that. She'd been one island in a chain for a very long time and then she could see the other islands. And now there was a bridge. Heck they were almost their own little continent. Well, this metaphor needed some work but you got the idea.

She wasn't able to explain that. So she just let her walls down the rest of the way. If Aishe chose to look she'd see just how happy and content and even excited she was about this. She was feeling a little more comfortable with the idea and would probably start practicing with the bond to see what it could do. It would probably annoy Kem. But she annoyed him enough before, this wouldn't be that different. She'd just have to make sure to take care of him along with annoying him... well she did that any way.

Finally she answered.

"I'm happy too. It is kind of funny how little this changes things but I think it might be a very good thing. I'm glad you're OK with it. I was... well I'm glad."Â?
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe channeled Kem for a moment as she narrowed her eyes and poked her finger at Pak. "Well don't get used to it, I'm not going to make a habit out of it."

Pak seemed to relax; whether it was the subject matter or that she really did believe Aishe or both, she finally seemed to lose the last little bits of anxiety she'd been clinging to.

"Honestly I'm surprised you thought I might somehow not be okay with it," she pointed out. "I mean, I waked into all of this knowing I might not get what I wanted and I did it anyway. Why would I be opposed to sharing?"

She smiled at Pak. Even if Pak's feelings for Kem weren't the same as hers, she would hardly begrudge her friend her share of love. There was plenty to go around, after all. But the matter was happily settled anyway. There was no point in beating a dead horse. "Be glad," she agreed with Pak. "It's a wonderful thing. Let's just hope he stays sane with both of us poking at him."