It's the Most Wonderful Holly Jolly Rudolph the Silent Night (Secret Santa-Pakpao)

It was probably safe to say that neither Mara nor Pakpao particularly enjoyed the Mall. Mara, for her part, found both the crowds and the bright lights to her disliking. She had tinted contacts, of course, which she wore now, but she preferred to stick to the dimly-lit night streets or quieter shops.

She wanted extra cash though, and many of the stores in the Mall had the capability to pick and choose what they sold. Mercenary Mara decided to try to take advantage of the holiday season by appealing to shoppers everywhere. If they were going to spend money, perhaps they would spend it on her things and then she in turn would give their money to where it should really go; to charity.

So she had recruited Pakpao, who'd mentioned needing to shop (in a grumbling tone that informed Mara that 'need' and 'want' were entirely different things as far as Christmas shopping was concerned) and enlisted a favor from Bao in the form of a short contract and merchandising agreement. Armed with moral support, legal paperwork, and a fairly large padded case with a handle on one side for carrying, Mara found herself at Nachton's mall with what seemed like at least half the entire population of the city.

"Top down?" She asked Pak. The mall had four stories. They were accessible by stairs, escalators, and, in the middle of the mall, a set of glass elevators currently decorated with sparkling Christmas lights.

They went to the top floor via the escalator and began to work their way through the crowds until Mara found a likely store to make her offer. It was a little shop, not horribly full of customers, which was good. Mara suspected if she found a busy one, they wouldn't have time to listen to her.

Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak wanted a stick. I very big stick. Or perhaps that water gun. The water gun would be nice, she'd even fill it with eggnog just to be festive. She strongly disliked the mall and hated crowds. Usually all her shopping was done on line but there were two or three things this year that were 'in store only'. This was not a trend she wanted to see continue.

Narrowing her eyes and glowering at the enter population of the shopping center Pak muttered a bit to herself. If it had been just about anyone other than Mara she never would have agreed. Well, almost never. Buried way down deep inside was a tiny spark of holiday spirit. Way deep down. Although, she had bought a tree, and decorated it. It was set up in her living room. She'd even put lights in her window. She'd been in a very silly giddy mood that night. They did happen.

"Top down."Â?

Pak agreed as she stuck her hat and gloves in her coat pockets, she even consented to unbutton her coat since they were now inside. She was very curious about the glass work Mara was selling too. She'd never seen any of Mara's creations. Secretly enjoying the lights and about every sixth carol Pak was happy enough to follow along. Oh she had every intention of jumping all over a shop owner if they messed around with Mara or snubbed her work or anything like that, but for now she was happy. Although, one of those damned gingerbread lattes wouldn't go awry.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara was relieved to find the shop owner in this particular little store was a woman. She wasn't sure she would have been up to trying to make a business deal with a strange man. There wasn't much room in the back of the store where they were taken but the lady, Sarah, seemed interested in seeing Mara's sculptures so all three of them piled in.

On the small table, Mara carefully set down her case and opened it. Between layers of egg-crate foam she had crafted statue upon statue. There were sixty five, to be exact, all Mara had been able to make with her current supplies.

"You made these?" the manager asked. It didn't occur to Mara to be offended about being asked for verification of what she'd already said. She just nodded.

Inside the case were several styles of Mara's particular artwork. The first were the glass animals she loved to make, each varying from 2 to 3 inches up to as large as 6 or 7 inches. They were all styled of clear glass except in the case of those animals who needed some detail, like the pawns and tail of the little fox, or the chest and tail of the deer. In those she had managed to give the glass a smoky quality.

The second style were more of her animals but every single one had a holiday themed decoration in green, white and/or red. The mouse wore a santa hat; the little dog had a red collar with a sprig of mistletoe on it; the cat wore a little jingle-bell around its neck.

The third style were clearly meant to decorate a tree. These were very typical of Mara's more abstract work and consisted of spheres of clear glass with tiny details blown into the center of each one. These, Mara enjoyed the most. The animals were clever and fun to make but the decorated spheres took a great deal of patience and no small skill. To infuse a perfectly round glass sphere with any other color or shape was a hard art to master, and Mara had included as many of her better examples as she had, all in holiday colors. She had melded a tiny loop to the top of each one and slipped a white ribbon through, turning them into small, sparkling Christmas ornaments.

Sarah had picked several up and inspected them. "These are adorable," she said. "This is all you have?"

"Yes. I'll be making more though," Mara said. "I just ran out of red and green glass."

"Have you been to any other stores here yet?"

Mara shook her head.
"No, you were our first."

Sarah smiled. "I want all of them."

Mara, taken by surprise, glanced at Pak. Should she give all of her statues to one store? She wanted them to sell; she wasn't in this to make money for herself. Sarah seemed to sense her hesitation though. "If you let me have all of them and come to me first when you've got more, I promise these will sell. They're adorable. My shop is perfect for them."

Mara had to agree that the little gift shop was ideal and she had been hoping they would be interested in at least some of her work. Sarah seemed like a decent person. After a minute or two thinking it over, she nodded and they began to work out the details. Mara showed her the contract Bao had written up, establishing that for every statue sold, half the proceeds would go to the store and half would go to Mara, to be deposited in a trust account for the charity of her choice.

They discussed prices and settled on something slightly higher than Mara would have gone with but Sarah assured her that they would sell. "Cute little gifts like this, by a local artist, for a charity?" She laughed. "They're going to sell out about as fast as we set them up, dear."

The only request she made of Mara was for the future, she stamp or in some way personalize her art. She seemed to think there would be more purchases in the future, beyond Christmas, and that people would want to know who made them. That was an interesting idea to Mara, who had never actually put her name on her creations before.

Mara also did not have a business card, which was also requested of her. She instead wrote down her phone number on one of Sarah's cards. She refused to give an order form; Mara didn't like to be told what to make. But she did agree to try and accommodate her if Sarah had a request for a piece, and in return Sarah agreed to keep track of what seemed to be popular.

Mara and Pakpao walked out of the gift store with an empty case, and one of their objectives already achieved. Mara looked at Pakpao.

"I have to admit I didn't expect that to go quite so well."
Pakpao 13 years ago
Not making any pretense of indifference Pak had leaned over to see everything that Mara had unwrapped at was absolutely fascinated. They were beautiful. Pak was jealous, she didn't have a creative bone in her body. Possibly one or two but she saved them for origami and programing, nothing like this. Pak was impressed.

Pak shrugged. She'd probably give them all to one store, it might create demand if the glass was hard to find and exclusive to one shop. If it didn't work Pak had no doubt that contract would let Mara could terminate the relationship. Odds were Bao had written it and she had learned enough of her creator to know he, and therefore Mara, was not easily trapped.

"I'm impressed. They're amazing but I'm still surprised she took you up on it so fast. Still... gift horses and all that."Â?

Maybe she'd sneak back to the store and buy one later. There had been one or two Pak had particularly liked and a couple that would be great gifts.

Pak perched on a railing and looked up and down the stores on the fourth floor trying to decide if they needed anything up there. The only store she really needed to stop in was the second floor.

"At least the case is lighter and I don't have to worry about you falling and everything breaking."Â?

She'd been spending too much time with Eiryk apparently. Letting her feet swing back and forth a bit.

"Well if this were up to me I'd start with need and then move to want and wander. And on a side note, he isn't expecting me me to get him a present is he?"Â?

Paks's relationship with her creator was still a little odd and she didn't quite know what was expected of her or even what she expected of him.
Mara 13 years ago
"I'm glad she did," Mara decided. "It will be much easier to keep track of everything if I'm working through one vendor."

As Pak perched on the railing Mara raised her eyebrows at the younger vampire.
"I do not fall," she said archly, a little smile on her lips. "Besides, there's a lot of padding. They might not have broken even if I were made to fall."

She said it with mock confidence as she leaned forward against the same railing Pak was sitting on, and looked down at the crowds of shoppers. She loved being up high. She was tempted to walk along the railing on tip-toe but some things were not allowed in public and Mara wasn't one to break the rules... well, not that openly.

"All right. Let's head down then, unless there's something you want on this floor?"

They headed to the big glass elevators in the middle of the mall since those were closest. There was a crowd waiting already so they let them all hop into the elevator that rose first and then slipped into the second one. They ended up alone in it.

No sooner had it begun its descent though, then there was a shudder and a screech. Simultaneously the entire mall went black and the elevators, all of them, lurched to a grinding halt.

In the darkness, Mara looked at Pak.
"Well that's unexpected."

Suddenly the lights came back on. The elevators, however, did not. Crowds of shoppers gathered around the four lifts, pointing and staring at the unfortunate shoppers trapped within. Mara saw the people in the other lifts pushing buttons, tapping on the control panels, but nothing moved. They seemed good and stuck.

As a consolation prize, the music in the elevator started back up.
Pakpao 13 years ago
"Unless there is coffee on this floor... nope."Â?

Pak hopped down off her railing. It was rather amusing that Mara had no issues with heights and yet her father was less than fond of them. Apparently this was a case of nurture over nature.

They slid into an empty elevator and Pak was feeling rather smug about that. She didn't fancy the idea of being crowded in like sardines, people with nine hundred packages pushing and shoving.

She'd been opening her mouth to say something when the whole mall came to a hault. Damned it could get dark in here. Well it didn't last long, lights suddenly flickered back on and the music... muizack... started backup and Pak waited to feel the lift going down a floor or two. It didn't.

Looking over she noticed none of the other elevators were moving either. Huh.

"I am suddenly -really- glad we are the only two in this one."Â?

This shouldn't be bad. They just needed to reboot the system or replace a fuse or something. Shouldn't take long right?

"Shouldn't there be an emergency button, or a phone or something? I mean obviously they know something is wrong but... doesn't hurt to be prepared."Â?
Mara 13 years ago
"Me too," Mara said, looking at the antsy children in the elevator next to theirs. She could actually see it wobbling as they jumped around, evidently trying to make it go down.

She peered at the control panel.
"There is," she pointed. "There." She leaned over and pressed the call button. Nothing happened.

Looking back at Pak, she shrugged.
"I'm not worried. Surely one of those people down there has let someone know the elevators aren't working."

She considered the other car. "I have a feeling we may be low on the list of priorities."

Between the children, the weight, the elderly, Mara though perhaps she and Pakpao might be the last ones retrieved.

"We may as well wait. Like attractions in a zoo," she said with a little laugh.

Putting her now-empty padded case on the floor Mara sat down and bent her knees, wrapping her arms around them. She began tapping her fingernails against the fabric of her jeans to the tune of "Have a Holly, Jolly Christmas."

"You're not afraid of heights or claustrophobic or anything, are you?" Their situation didn't particularly bother Mara, but she had to make sure Pak would be all right. She knew some people just didn't like elevators.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak cursed when they didn't answer the call button. OK they were stuck, some one had to know they were stuck and Mara was right they weren't first priority, but still. Some one -should- answer. Even if all they did was say they were working on it. MARI was much more efficient.

Looking out the glass and down at the rest of the patrons she could see some pushing elevator buttons and some pointing at the stuck cars and one or two taking pictures.

"Great we're gonna wind up on YouTube. You know they are just hoping we'll fall to our deaths."Â?

With a little snort she turned to Mara.

"Yeah but only one of us can turn into an animal. And this sure isn't my natural habitat."Â?

She was a little jealous of Mara being able to sit on the case and eyed the floor speculatively. It didn't exactly look clean and she still was holding on to the idea they'd be rescued soon so she wasn't feeling like just flopping. Not yet.

This was the second time she'd been stuck in an elevator in... a year? Maybe two? Most people went their whole lives without being trapped like this. Apparently she was out to defy the odds.

"No, not particularly. ... ... You don't happen to do the whole glamour thing do you?"Â?

She wasn't going to be caught off guard this time. If Mara freaked out and accidentally hit her with a glamour Pak wanted to know with certainty she wasn't freaking out.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara laughed softly at Pakpao. "Maybe if you glare harder at them they'll stop recording you and move on to someone cuter. Better yet, try to look distressed. It might inspire someone to rescue us faster!"

She grinned at Pakpao's assessment of their new habitat. "Do you think they'll feed us?" She eyed the onlookers. "There are one or two in that crowd who look tasty."

Frosty the Snowman was next and Mara began to hum softly along. Pak's question made her raise her eyebrows. "Glamour? No, hardly. And even if I did, I don't mind being in here. It's not where I would choose to vacation but look at it this way - we're away from the crowds."

She smiled up at Pak. "I don't suppose you have a screwdriver, do you?"
Pakpao 13 years ago
"I'm cute!"Â?

Pak protested. Out of reflex she started looking for something to throw but, there were very few options in the elevator so she settled on just sticking her tongue out.

Blech. See now Pak was going to stress about about them not getting out before dawn, Well she would in a little bit maybe possibly if they didn't seem to be making any progress on the rescue. Mara, however, distracted her and she looked down at the crowd.

"Hmmmmm... yeah you might be right. But I don't think room service is going to be happening and I don't know where to find a straw that long."Â?

OK the Christmas music was starting to irritate her. And as much as she liked Mara the echoing the music wasn't working for her. But Pak did her best to shrug it off, it wouldn't be for long.

"What the hell kind of question is that?"Â?

She didn't even have to rummage around in her bag. Pak kept a small tool kit right where she could get at it. She whipped it out.

"Phillips or standard? I have two sizes and a few other things."Â?
Mara 13 years ago
"Of course you are," Mara said in a placating tone. "Just less so when you glare like that. Yes, that."

Mara's few distractions seemed to work pretty well. It wasn't so much that she thought Pak would stress out in the elevator as she knew by now that her... well, niece, she supposed, was reasonably energetic and would get bored stuck in an elevator.

She was torn between mischief and good sense. Mischief won out.

"I thought you might," she said when Pak dug a mini tool kit from her purse. "You could always get creative. There are a lot of screws in here."

Humming along to "O Holy Night" she slyly moved a half step up, humming in jangling discord with the actual song as it payed through the speakers.
Pakpao 13 years ago
"Now cut that out! You'll give me a complex."Â?

Pak sulked a bit. She was tiny and adorable when she wasn't plotting revenge or retaliation or something like that. Some one needed to stroke her ego a bit right now.

"I wonder how much work it would be to regenerate everything if the elevator did come crashing down."Â?

She mused as she paced their glass cage trying to figure out what went where. Maybe they could even escape.

Not that she could plot an escape with that damned music and Mara helping it along. Pak was going to start climbing the walls. She started looking for the speakers without even realizing she was doing it. Crap. It was in the ceiling and she sure couldn't reach that.

Not that she didn't try. She stood on her tip toes and got no where before irritably throwing one of her screw drivers at it. It would be possible to manage this with telekinesis though...

"Do you think they'd notice if...."Â? She trailed off letting Mara reach her own conclusions. "Or maybe I could stand on your shoulders?"Â?
Mara 13 years ago
"I refuse to accept sole responsibility for any of your complexes, present or future," Mara said calmly to Pak, lips twitching upward with amusement.

She leaned her head back against the window of the elevator and then peered down at Pak's question.
"It's only three stories," she said with a shrug. "I'm sure we'd be fine."

She'd seen vampires take far more abuse than a mere three story elevator drop would dish out, and come up swinging. The fall didn't worry her. She rather liked the height and wished they'd been a little higher up.

As she expected, Pak seemed to be getting very bored very fast. Mara whistled along with the next song, "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year," while she watched Pak's obvious and growing irritation with the mall's choice of music. The thrown screwdriver was amusing, but Pak's next suggestion wasn't.

"Stand on my shoulders?" Mara gave a short laugh. "Between the two of us you'd still be lucky to reach the top of the elevator. I'm not a good stepladder unfortunately. You might have to think of another way."

She smiled to herself. This was actually pretty entertaining after all. She would have been happy to participate in the mischief, were there not many many people down there recording them. As it was, she continued to whistle.
Pakpao 13 years ago
"Well some one has to take some responsibility and god knows it isn't me."Â?

Pak looked down again and decided that Mara was probably right. However, that didn't mean she wanted to try it. Besides, they'd just have to find away to hush things up.

Pak didn't carry a huge bag so there was no point in looking for a step ladder or even a chair to stand on. Well, if she couldn't get to the speaker maybe she could short it out or cut power to it some other way. She found another access panel and quickly pulled it off.

Yay! Wires!

"I'm pretty sure no matter what I do I can't send the car plunging to the ground."Â?

Huh, a schematic would be nice right about now. Well they didn't have one so Pak just started pulling at wires. She didn't accomplish much with that first one, just cut the light to the elevator buttons.

"God damned it... I'm so much better with software."Â?
Mara 13 years ago
Mara chuckled at Pak's refusal to take responsibility for her own issues. Nothing like a good healthy dose of denial. She knew her friend was joking, however, so she played along.

The Twelve Days of Christmas was next and Mara winced. Even she was going to have a difficult time with this one. Nothing like mindlessly repeating every stupid verse over and over.

She stood and crossed the elevator to where Pak was playing with wires.
"There's got to be some way to short the speakers," she muttered. "Pull the red one. It's always the red one, isn't it?

They looked at each other, shrugged, and pulled the red one.

The lights went out... in their elevator. And no one else's.

"Okay," Mara said calmly. "Not the red one. Try the green one."

They would eviscerate Christmas one wire at a time if necessary.
Pakpao 13 years ago
"Red ones are generally trouble."Â?

Pak observed, but pulled at the red one any way. She only gave a little 'huh'. When the lights went out. Well that figured. She'd just reattach it in a bit, well assuming she could see it. And while her night vision, like Mara's, was better than average it was dark.

"There should be a flash light in my bag. Just a little one could you grab it. No, not the laser pointer."Â?

Mara was quite helpful and found the flight light, although Pak did wonder if she could driver her friend crazy with the green laser pointer. It worked on Mongkut. They'd try that later, when truly desperate for entertainment.

Ignoring the fact that the people in other cars were looking curiously at them no Pak held the flash light in her mouth and disconnected the green wire.

The car suddenly dropped, not far six inches maybe a foot, before a redundant breaking system caught it. The drop, small as it was, surprised the hell out of Pak.

"Not the green one. I think we'll leave that one alone."Â?

She reattached that one quickly, as well as the red one for good measure.

"White or yellow?"Â?

No point in giving up now. After all now they knew which one not to mess with.
Mara 13 years ago
They wouldn't have needed the flashlight ordinarily, except that the mall lights outside didn't shed much light into the tiny space they were working. So Mara dug it out and held it for Pak.

When they disconnected the green wire she gave a little laugh as the elevator dropped.
"Do that one again!" she pleaded, but Pak had already reconnected it.

Mara considered their options while the voices coming from the speakers proclaimed five golden rings, and finally said,
"Why not both? What's the worst that could happen?"

She smiled widely at Pak, her eyes full of feigned innocence. Standing on her toes, Mara peeked over Pak's shoulder to see if she really would pull both wires at once. If nothing else at least the onlookers below had a show. She doubted anyone could really get a clear view of what they were doing, caught between levels as they were.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak made a face.

"And when we drop three stories and walk away you can handle the cover up. But I have no plans of moving to Mexico and hiding out."Â?

Still, she might play with that one a bit later. If they could drop the car a little bit at at time they might be able to force the doors open and escape. Certainly a 'kids don't try this at home' strategy but it might work.

As the damned speaker started 'Let It Snow' for what had to have been the second time that night Pak pulled both yellow and white. The doors half opened, showing nothing but concrete in front of them and some how the volume on the speaker increased.

Frustrated and irritated, Pak sat down on the floor and flopped on her back.

"They really do need to include directions with these things."Â?
Mara 13 years ago
Once the twelve days had ended and Let It Snow began, Mara felt a little bit of Pak's frustration. Although she actually liked this song they'd played it several times already. Even so she found herself humming along with it. She poked and prodded at the wires a few more times before shrugging and giving up; she didn't really know much about electronics.

Shrugging at the little box of wires she went back to her case and sat down once more, humming along with the song because it was irresistible. She liked the imagery it created.

Raising her eyebrows at Pak she laughed softly.
"The directions are pretty simple. Open door, close door, pick the appropriate floor for the appropriate shopping experience. You require a manual for further instruction? I had thought you were smarter than that!"

She grinned at Pakpao, deliberately misinterpreting the other woman's statement.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak groaned and was tempted to beat her head against something. But to do that effectively would require sitting up, or at least rolling over. Because conventional wisdom held you beat your forehead on something, not the back of your head. Regardless, that seemed like way too much effort.

"Have they called in the fire department yet? At this rate I'm going to be very disappointed if we don't get to climb down a ladder and play with an ax."Â?

She'd like to take the ax to either the speaker or the idiot who wasn't shutting the music off. Possibly both. Both was always a brilliant option.

Desperate times called for desperate measures. Sitting back up Pak pulled the red wire again causing the car to go dark. Sitting in the darkest corner of the elevator she floated the screw driver up and started pulling the screws out of the speakers.

"You are going to have to tell me if anyone starts looking at us funny. But I -think- it is too dark for any one to see."Â?

It was tricky but Pak was doing her best to maneuver the screwdriver without looking at it. She was trying to appear interested in things on the ground and in Mara, only occasionally glancing up to see if she was managing. Finally one screw fell out and landed on Pak's head.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara looked at Pak in surprise. "Given what's been going on with this car since they got stuck? They're all looking at us funny," she said wryly. "Although I'm pretty sure it's because they're eager to YouTube our impending three-story plummet." She shook her head. "People today," she said sadly.

She watched Pak's progress with the screwdriver, rather impressed that Pak seemed so adept with that particular ability. "Do you often play with your tools like that?"

As she sat and hummed she kept an eye out as Pak had requested but she didn't see anything unusual. She perked up a bit when she saw people unloading from the car next to theirs.

"Look Pak," she said, pointing, "salvation can't be far off. I wonder if that's the third car, or the first?"

They couldn't see through the doors of the elevators obviously, and there were four cars - two on each side of the walkway. Mara shrugged to herself. It was all idle speculation, out of boredom. In the interest of making conversation she stopped humming and said,
"So how is Mr. Complicated doing? You and he seemed to be having a good time back around Halloween."