For those who suffer, and those who cry this night...(Ysabel - Secret Santa)

"Fuuuuucck."

LT looked down at his GPR (ground penetrating radar) and felt the cold seep into his trousers. He was knee deep in what he hoped was rain water about fifty feet from the surface manholes in downtown Nachton. His GPR was acting up again.

"Hang on a second," a voice chirped in his ear. "Lemme flash it again..."

"That's not going to work."

LT listened to Lewis, their COM Piper, work to fix the equipment used to map the underground sewer tunnels below the city. "Well it's better than you banging it against the tunnel walls."

Which it was, in fact, what LT was doing. He undid the straps that secured the GPR to his left forearm and knocked the equipment against the tunnel wall.

"Will you stop doing that!"

The bright blue display panel flickered and then died, leaving LT in the darkness. Lewis continued complaining about the abuse the equipment took from the Pipers out in the field when Charlie, his Sergeant, came on the line.

"You're 5 by 5, LT. Thirty meters east and you'll find another exit. Marko and Domingo are closer to you. They'll scoop you up."

"Thanks, Charlie." LT grinned as he wrapped up the GPR and tucked it into the compression pack located inside his field suit. Splashing through the water, LT easily navigated in the darkness to the exit manhole and climbed the ladder up into the street. With a slight push, he moved the three hundred pound manhole cover and peered out.

He was at the northern part of town in the older section of the city, where downtown began filtering into historic buildings, just on the edge of the commercial district. The streets were lined with bare trees casting shadows onto the street as the sun made its way behind the buildings. Pulling himself out, he replaced the cover and moved silently into the shadows between two of the historic buildings and stripped his field suit off. Underneath he wore his black diamond weave Therian weave with his boots. He turned the field suit inside out and stepped back into it. He wasn't concerned with the grime, but he at least looked clean enough to be on the streets without looking like a homeless person and attracting attention of the 'blue' variety.

Talking in a normal voice, he relayed his position back to Lewis.

"Yikes, they're stuck in traffic, LT. It'll be a few."

"That's fine. I'll start walking toward them."

"Aye, LT," Lewis said, signing off.

With a look around him, he stepped back onto the sidewalk and filtered into the throngs of people that always seemed to be milling around Nachton, despite the time of night.

Ysabel 13 years ago
Ysabel was on her way home from another night of tours. Maybe it was a little overdone, but she loved Christmas. Especially at the historical society. Their dresses and costumes always got just a little bit more festive, a little more extravagant. Ysabel was a fan of extravagant.

As she walked along the crowded streets of the Strip, just having left the buildings that were her station for the night, she tucked her hands into her white muff. Her gown was an elaborate affair consisting of numerous petticoats and hoops, with a beautiful silver chemise underneath and an overcoat of green and silver brocade. The sleeves were long and rolled at the shoulders, fitted to her wrists.

An elaborate outfit, but it cleared the street.

She hadn't gotten very far when a keening wail reached her ears. It was a sound she was very familiar with. To one who'd raised numerous generations of human children, it literally screamed "lost child."

Ysabel looked around until she saw a boy of perhaps three or four standing on the sidewalk not far from her. He clutched a little bear tightly in one hand and scrubbed a fist at his eyes with the other. Ysabel made her way to him as he opened his mouth to howl again.

Stopping in front of him she crouched and smiled. He broke off mid-breath and looked at her.

"Hello," she said with a smile. "Have you lost your family?"
Lothias LT Jameson 13 years ago
LT touched the equipment underneath his field suit, fidgeting as he made his way back toward downtown. Instinctively his eyes moved left to right, surveying the area, and make mental notes on the people he passed.

The sights and smells of the city differed in every neighborhood, and this one was not unlike any other. However the older houses had traces of lead paint and old wood, but most were in fine condition. The pine oil was sleek and greasy to his senses, but none of this distracted him from the soft crying coming further down the street.

LT's eyes searched out the noise and he made a bee line for a small little boy. Poor kid was crying, holding a stuffed animal. LT turned toward the little boy, reaching him just as a young woman knelt down in front of the boy and smiled. LT hesitated, figuring the woman had it, but he couldn't just walk away.

"Is that a kid crying?" Charlie's voice chirped into his ear.

Scratching his lip, LT knelt down with the woman and nodded.
"Yeah...you ok, son? Are you lost?" Looking at the woman, he was slightly taken aback but her authentic, vintage clothing.

"Hi, I'm Lothias. Did you need me to call someone?"
Ysabel 13 years ago
Ysabel looked up (and up) at he man who'd joined them. For a moment she had hoped this was the young boy's family, come to retrieve him, but no. She fought against wrinkling her nose at the smell coming from the man. They weren't horribly overpowering, just... a little ripe. Was it his shoes? Other than that he seemed to want to help... he offered to call someone, his expression honest, not giving off a particularly 'creepy' vibe, Ysabel thought.

"My name is Ysabel," she said, unable to curtsey as she was already crouched down in front of he boy. She nodded her head at Lothias though. "I wouldn't know who to call."

The little boy was staring back and forth at them with something like a mixture of terror and awe. Ysabel sighed.

"What's your name?" she looked at the little boy. "Are you here with your mommy and daddy?"

He wouldn't answer her; just stuck his thumb into his mouth and began to suck on it. Ysabel didn't know if maybe her accent was confusing to him. She looked up at Lothias and lifted her shoulders.

Glancing around she didn't see any members of the Police nearby. She was reluctant to move the boy anywhere. Lost children should stay in one place, she though. Someone would come looking for him eventually. He was clean, his clothing wasn't new but also wasn't old or torn or worn. He had family somewhere around here.
LT nodded politely murmuring, 'Ma'am," in response to her introduction. With a mirrored shrug, he lowered himself onto a knee and smiled at the boy. The lost child was already scared and LT was afraid they might be making it worse, but held his hands out to the boy and gave him his best disarming smile.

"Are you helping a lost kid?" Charlie spoke into his ear through the small receiver tucked into his ear canal. LT ignored the question, letting his interaction with the little kid explain.

"Hi. My name is Lothias," he said softly introducing himself to the boy. "This is my friend Ysabel. You're lost, huh?"

The little boy began crying fresh tears but suddenly wrinkled his nose at LT. "You smell," he uttered in a small child's voice.

"Man, I bet you do," Charlie chuckled in his ear. "Lewis notified the police, just keep the kid there. They're en route."

LT grinned at the boy and agreed. "Yeah, I was messing around playing and I was on my way home. I am stinky, huh?"

Keeping his eyes on the little boy who smiled gently through his tears, he turned his head toward Ysabel.
"We should probably keep him here. Someone's gotta be looking for him."

Pulling out his cell phone, he texted Domingo and let him know the situation who responded that Lewis had informed them but they were still stuck in traffic.

"Police should be here shortly," LT said quietly. "Hey, so what's your Teddy's name?"

The little boy looked at his bear, his eyes disbelieving. "It's bear. He's not real."

"Are you sure? I swear he just smiled at me," LT said looking at his bear with an astonished face. The little boy turned his bear and looked at it incredulously.

A chorus of 'awwww's' filtered through in his ear piece, the other Pipers now listening in, gathering ammunition for later. LT cleared his throat and maintained his agreeable grin.
Ysabel 13 years ago
The man with the bright blue eyes, Lothias by way of introduction, managed to get the little boy to open up. Ah, better bonding through body odor. The hallmark of males everywhere.

"I don't think that will be difficult," Ysabel said, imagining keeping the boy where he was... she certainly hadn't planned on moving him and he didn't appear interested in wandering off.

She smiled as Lothias gave the little boy something to focus on, nodding along with him
. "He definitely smiled. I saw it, too."

Glancing around the street Ysabel didn't see what she had hoped she would; mainly, a pair of frantic parents looking for their little boy. He seemed to have been cheered up somewhat by his interaction with Lothias, so Ysabel tried talking to him again.

"What is your name?" she repeated with a smile. This time she had better success.

"Danny," the little boy responded. Then he held out his bear. "This is Bear." Apparently, Bear now had a name. It wasn't the most original as names went, but it was still an upgrade.

"Do you remember where you saw your parents, Danny?" Ysabel asked.

Frowning, the little boy pointed at a store across the street, a bakery. But he didn't say anything else. Ysabel sighed.
LT reached out and gently took the bear.

'Well 'Bear' is a very nice name. Nice to meet you, Bear." He handed the toy back to the little boy and then held his hand out to Danny. "Nice to meet you, too, Mr. Danny."

"He's Mr. Bear," Danny said. "I'm just Danny. No mister."

LT chuckled and looked over at Ysabel with a wide grin.
"I do apologize."

"Get it right, LT. They call him Mister Bear," his uncle's voice chimed in with the other Pipers and he heard the rest of them snickering into the microphones. At least his uncle was back to his normal self again.

Ysabel asked Danny about his parents and pointed to the bakery store across the street. LT stood slowly and did a slow 360 of the area again, looking for the tell tale signs of anxious parents, but saw none.

"Hmm," he said more for the Pipers than for Ysabel.

"I gots nothing on the police band, LT."

LT's forehead wrinkled with concern. Pointing to the bakery, he silently let Ysabel know he was going to go check it out. As he walked away from Danny and Ysabel, he inhaled deeply, tasting the scents in the air. Nothing out of the ordinary, the bakery itself smelled deliciously of baked goods. As he crossed the street, LT looked up and down the street, watching for cars when the streetlights on the next block went dark. Slowing, he turned and looked down the opposite side of the street and watched those lights extinguish as well.

"LT...."

"I see it," he said aloud as he started to back up toward Ysabel and the boy when the streetlights began to shut off one by one, closing in on them. Reaching down he picked up the boy and took Ysabel's arm gently.

"We need to leave. Right now."
Ysabel 13 years ago
Ysabel smiled back at Lothias, who apparently had a little bit of trouble with titles. She nodded when he indicated that he was going to take a look around the bakery and held her arms out to Danny, who evidently trusted her enough to move toward her.

Suddenly Ysabel watched in confusion as the lights began to die down. The street was quickly becoming dark. Lothias was backing up to them and Ysabel felt his hand close firmly around her arm.

"What's going on?" she asked in confusion as he took Danny into his arms. Rising, she looked around with alarm for any sign of trouble.

"Where are we going?"
LT winced at Ysabel's questions. Danny was already trying to choke him to death with the kid's grip around his neck so Ysabel asking questions was only going to slow them down.

"Ma'am, one second," LT said politely as he pushed them through the crowd of people who were beginning to walk out into the street in the darkness. He pulled Ysabel away from the edge of the sidewalk and street just as the screaming began.

Darkness had a way with people. An primitive fear that was innate and bred into all living humans. The darkness was not friendly. It was not warm and fuzzy. It was suffocating and influenced people, making them do very stupid things.

Like walk out into the street with oncoming cars blinding them like deers in the headlights.

Danny was beginning to cry again as LT tightened his grip and rushed them north toward downtown. The screaming began within five minutes of the total and complete darkness following the screech tires and thumps of bodies.

"We need to get out of here. Tell me it's a power grid brownout, Lewis."

"My name is Danny," the little boy replied looking at LT through his tears.

"It's a two square mile blackout - centralized and definitely forced," Lewis said typing furiously at his keyboard, so loud that LT could hear it through the earpiece. "Shit...it's following you."

His uncle voice cut into Lewis' exclamation, "Charlie, Red, and Marthinus are en route, LT. Who are you with?"

LT looked at Ysabel and Danny and held his finger up as he pushed them into a dark corner. His eyes flashed, checking the shadows and his senses signaled the all clear, for now.
"One female and the boy. There are already casualties."

"Get to Domingo and Markos, LT."

"We need to keep heading downtown," he said to Ysabel. "I don't know what's out there, but whatever it is, it's following us."
Ysabel 13 years ago
Ysabel followed along in confusion. Obviously she understood something was happening, but who on Earth was Lothias talking to? He clearly had an earpiece of some sort. It was who was on the other end that had her potentially worried.

As they ran, moving from street to street, Ysabel asked,
"Who are you talking to?"

Normally it was a little rude, she figured, but in this case there were exceptions to be made.

She resisted the urge to move them along faster, easily keeping pace with Lothias as he ran. If the situation became dire she could always try to shelter both the humans or get them to a safe location.

"Do they know where we'll be safe or what's happening?"

Even some fore-warning might help at this point. The sounds of thumps and blaring lights around them were disorienting. The lights in particular were hard for her to handle when they hit her straight in the eyes, causing her to flinch away. She kept her head turned into the darkness, doing her best to help people out of the way. Maybe a little too helpfully, in some cases.
LT ignored Ysabel's question as he stepped back out to the sidewalk, pulling on her brocade overcoat. Her petticoats bustled loudly and he half wanted to tear it off her. Frantically he avoided the bright headlights and scared mob of people running back and forth when she asked where somewhere safe would be.

"We're heading downtown to meet up with my friends. I can do my best to protect you both, but I honestly don't know..."

Suddenly the noise from the drivers throttling their engines whined down, the cars slowing with no control on the brakes or direction, careening into buildings and more people. The earpiece in his ear suddenly whined and then died. Reaching into his ear he pulled it out and looked at it.

"Wait...was that..." LT reached into his inside pocket and pulled his cell phone. It was completely dead. People in the street were noticing the same thing, holding their cell phones and calling out in terror to no one. Everything was black and motionless. The entire city block had stopped in its tracks, looking up into the sky, waiting for something to happen. LT took the opportunity to take Ysabel's hand and full out run.

"That was an electromagnetic pulse. Everything - the cars, clocks, cell phones, they're dead and I can't tell for how far."

LT was impressed that Ysabel kept up with him easily, encouraging him to run faster as they turned a corner leading to the main Strip that was lined with more commercial businesses that were blacked out and cars standing still in the streets. Hopefully the Pipers that were incoming were in wolf form, not using their helicopter, but as explosions began to rip through the night, he worried more and more.

They passed a large parking garage and LT dragged Danny and Ysabel across the street, cutting between the cars when he heard screaming behind him. Turning he looked up and could not believe what he was saw.

A 2003 4-door Saturn was being picked up like a piece of paper. With his bright blue eyes, LT watched as it sailed through the air...right at them.
Ysabel 13 years ago
Ysabel bristled at the idea of needing protection but she didn't let it show; six hundred years of manners were not to be broken even if Nachton was falling apart around them. Besides, bristling was a trait best left to Ambrose.

"All right. Downtown it is," she said calmly. "If anything happens, protect the child. I can watch out for myself."

It might be foolish of her to be so confident but something odd and unusual was happening around them and this was no time to be stingy and secretive about strange vampiric abilities. Ysabel would hope she wasn't forced to use them and if so, that Lothias would either write it off or have the good sense not to run screaming. After all, Ysabel was hardly planning on eating either of them.

She watched with concern as he examined his cell phone.
"Well, we have an idea where they're heading at any rate. We should keep going in that direction."

They did just that as the Strip went black around them. Ysabel heard the same screams, turned at the same time as Lothias, and immediately abandoned all hope of avoiding the whole vampire mess. As the car flew toward them she shoved Lothais with both hands, off to the side away from the path of the airborne car, and forced herself into her foggy, ethereal state as the car passed right through her. She covered her head with her hands; ethereal she may be, but anyone would cringe when a car was passing through their face.

As she straightened she ignored the car as it hit the pavement in a shower of sparks and screeching metal. Running to where Lothias had ended up, huddled protectively around Danny, Ysabel took his arm in turn and hauled him along behind her as fast as they both could run. Which was, she realized as she turned to look at Lothias with wide eyes, a LOT faster than she expected your average human to be able to go.

Maybe best not to think on that now.
LT was stunned. There was no other reason for him not moving his ass when he saw the car flying toward them. He was just completely stunned. Never in his life had he seen anyone, or anything, hurl a car like it was nothing. Could he lift a car? Sure. Could he throw one like a baseball? Hell no. But something could and did. He was jerked out of his astonishment when Ysabel, the petite blond in vintage clothing that looked barely old enough to drink, shoved him so hard that he and Danny flew out of the path of the car within a second of seeing it.

Flinching against the force of her strength, LT held Danny's head, protecting it from the street as he rolled into a ball, keeping him from just crashing and possibly losing his grip on the kid. He tucked his legs and ended up on his knees, looking back at Ysabel with his back bouncing off a parked car. Grunting he put his hand forward and watched as the car crashed into the street behind her.

Behind her?

"What...?" was all he managed when she ran up to him and yanked him off the street, pulling him behind her. Even with her petticoat rustling beneath her, she ran faster than he knew any woman could. Any human woman.

"That car flew!" Danny said almost laughing. "Look, another one!"

Ysabel looked back as LT chanced a quick look over his shoulder and narrowly avoided another car, this time a Lexus. Whoever or whatever it was, it was moving up to quality cars. LT moved Danny's legs around his waist and held him against his chest as he jumped up onto an abandoned car, pounding his boots onto the hood and cracking the windshield with his weight and speed. Ysabel kept in front of him, never losing her ground as the Lexus rolled upside behind them. Broken glass flew as the hood compressed from the weight and force of its impact. As they approached another corner, he yelled up to Ysabel.

"Right. Go, right! RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT!!"
Ysabel 13 years ago
Ysabel couldn't be rude enough to ignore Lothias. Some things must be addressed and the issue of manners, for instance, couldn't be dropped entirely. "I think you know," she said as she glanced back at him. She didn't bother faking that she was breathing hard; there was no sense in that at this point.

As they hit the corner she grabbed Lothias' arm and swung him around the turn first, shielding both him and Danny from the flying shards of glass with her body and then following along behind. The pursuers followed, and a small VW Bug came flying at them. This one was much easier to handle. Ysabel had plenty of time to see it coming and shoved it away off to the side with telekinesis.

They didn't stop with cars now; almost anything big enough to hurl came flying at them.

"Who the hell is behind us?" Ysabel nearly screeched. And then she immediately clapped her hand over her mouth as they ran. "Excuse me."

FAR too long living with Amber.
LT felt Ysabel's small hands on his arm and then suddenly it was as tight as a steel vice grip. Instead of letting him take the turn himself, she felt compelled to propel him and Danny around the corner. Regaining his balance, he moved Danny to directly in front of him, blocking him from the shards of glass and more cars. They moved quickly down the street again, but LT signaled to Ysabel to turn again, zig-zagging toward the downtown area.

"You don't know? I thought you might have a better idea as to who and maybe what," he snapped as he turned down an alley and jumped up to the first landing of a fire escape, pulling himself up with one arm and then setting Danny down into it. He was still holding his teddy bear, no longer crying, but his eyes were bright and excited.

LT ignored Ysabel fairly certain she could take care of herself now and pulled the boy to him again as he triple timed it up the fire escape to the roof of the building. It was too hard to tell how far the EMP had reached, so he walked to the edges of the roof top, looking out as far as he could see.

"We're high," Danny said quietly to his bear. "It's ok Bear. Linus will protect us." LT couldn't help but smile at Danny mispronouncing his name.

"My friends call me LT. Why don't you call me that?" he said looking down at Danny and the bear. With a moment to breathe he took a deep breath and tasted the boy's scent. There was something strange about it. Leaning closer to Danny's chest, he inhaled deeply again.

LT's nose twitched and he flinched back. The smells were distinct: metal, enamel, copper. LT looked up into Danny's eyes and he smiled at him.

"Can I see Bear?"

"Ok Empty," he said.

"LT, Danny," he said correcting him as his eyes narrowed at the teddy bear.

Danny happily handed the stuffed toy over. Putting Danny back on the ground, he started to gently press his fingers along the center of the foot long bear and something hard pressed back. There was a slight charge and the smells intensified.

"Shit," LT mumbled unhappily.
Ysabel 13 years ago
Ysabel spared the time as they ran to favor Lothias with an incredulous look. "Me? With all due respect, sir, I'm not the one with the high tech secret voice devices giving me information."

She frowned. Why would Lothias think she knew what was going on? He had determined their course from the start of this escapade. Ysabel shook her head at herself as they ran up the fire escape to the building roof. It was stress. There was nothing to fear from this man. He'd been trying to help. She had no reason to think he had anything to do with this either.

"Forgive me," she said. "I don't know what's going on, I'm sorry. This is all somewhat beyond me."

This was hardly the time for conversation, really, but Ysabel fell back on what came naturally to her. She couldn't fathom what was gonig on around them and so far Lothias was the only one who seemed to have a clue.

When they stopped and Lothias let go of Danny to examine his stuffed toy Ysabel gathered the little boy close. She hardly thought he'd wander at this point, but it wasn't worth the risk.

Lothias swore and Ysabel peered over his shoulder. The man was poking at the bear, looking annoyed.
"What is it? It's just a toy."

She lifted her eyes from the bear to Lothias' face. "Isn't it?"

Suddenly uncertain, Ysabel looked down at Danny.
LT flicked his eyes to Ysabel and then Danny. He was going to feel really guilty doing this, but there wasn't much of a choice. LT turned the bear over and felt for a seam, ripping it open.

"Empty, no!" Danny wailed and then began to cry again.

"I'm sorry Danny," LT said, opening the bear and spread the contents of it out and into his hands. In the bear was a thinly coiled wire over a square piece of metal - two pieces welded together and it felt hollow. On both sides of the square piece of metal was more thin wires with plastic pieces that connected to the larger coil of wires. On the opposite side of the coiled wire was another tiny metal box wrapped with mesh copper sheeting. All of this was no larger than the inside of LT's palm and weighed maybe five ounces, if that. He dismantled the three separate pieces by ripping them apart.

"This,' he said holding up the coil wire, "is a electromagnet and it's connected to the trigger...some how." The technology looked beyond him, maybe even Charlie who held several degrees in this type of technology. He pocked the magnet, now disabled, into the inside pocket of his field suit.

"The magnet is also connected to this," he held up the copper meshed box. "This is the smallest Faraday cage I have ever seen. These are simply made metal boxes that block out the disruptive waves of an EMP pulse, which is what we experienced. And it's protecting," LT used his fingernails and split the box open, "a transmitter. They're tracking the bear."

LT dropped it to the ground and lifted his boot, suddenly he lowered it back down again. Picking up the transmitter, he turned in the opposite direction of downtown and walked to the ledge. Keeping the transmitter intact, he wound up his arm and pitched the transmitter as far away as he could throw it. Turning back to Ysabel, he handed the now flaccid toy back to Danny.

"All right, let's go." Looking down at Danny, he gave him an apologetic look. "I'm sorry, Danny. And it's L T, not Empty."
Ysabel 13 years ago
Ysabel watched curiously as Lothias, LT, she corrected herself (although she was fairly certain she didn't qualify as a friend), tire open the little stuffed bear. She shushed Danny as he began to cry again, rubbing the little boy's back. "Mr. Bear will be fine," she said softly. "We can put him back together again."

She stared at LT as he explained the device inside of the bear, still not fully comprehending. This was not her forte and her comprehension was woefully inadequate.

"Why would anyone put something inside of a child's toy like this?" she wondered out loud, not really expecting an answer. "And why would someone be tracking it?"

She watched LT rid himself of the little tracking device, still completely shocked.
"And you don't have any idea who 'they' might be?" she asked softly.

Ysabel looked down at Danny.
"Who are you parents, Danny? Did they give Bear to you?"

The little boy just nodded in response and clutched his toy to his chest. Ysabel picked him up and settled him on her hip, more confident being the one to hang onto him while they climbed down the fire escape. If anything happened she could glide to safety with their little passenger, leaving LT free to move if needed.

She could see downtown Nachton lit up still, several blocks away, and assumed that was where they were going. So she began to climb back down toward the streets, on the alert for any further sign of their unknown pursuers.
The Pipers 13 years ago
"What just happened?" Domingo lifted his hands off the steering wheel of the Piper's SUV and looked over at the giant next to him.

Marko was quiet for a few moments as he looked around him. Touching the window switch of his passenger side door, he noted the lack of any power.
"EMP," he said with complete confidence and opened the door to step out.

Domingo called out after him,
"A...wait, how do you know?"

Marko circled around the car and opened Domingo's car door. "Because everything is dead." He held up his watch and showed it to Domingo. The LCD screen of his Casio Pathfinder watch was dark.

Domingo held up his watch and smiled,
"Kinetic."

"Yes, very James Bond. Let's go."

Domingo stepped out of the car and began running with Marko in a slow trot toward where they were suppose to meet the LT.

~~

Charlie shot through the darkness of the alley ways in wolf form, a soft chestnut brown, but there was nothing soft about him. He was almost as big as the Commander, but lean and extremely agile in this shape. Flanking him was Red, also mammoth in wolf form, his namesake was his color, and then there was Marthinus - gifted late in life he was a graying black wolf but he held his own as they tore through the city alleys, searching out the LT.

They made it to the LT's exit point before Markos and Domingo - sniffing the area and surveying the damage. Red put his nose to the ground and immediately found the LT's scent, barking frantically at the Sergeant, getting Charlie's attention. They regrouped and moved toward the scents, following the two softer scents along with the LT's when Red suddenly reared back. There was a lingering scent along with the two softer ones, but he could not communicate his find to Charlie or Marthinus, not until he changed and he couldn't do that yet. Instead he shot off in that direction, taking point, and leading Charlie and Marthinus down the street.

As they doubled back they ran into Domingo and Markos who had stayed in human form. Red took the opportunity to change back, letting the two other men take his place and then some.

Red shivered painfully as he let his human side return, forcing back the wolf. They were all wearing their therian-weave and it rippled and reshaped to form his human body.

"There's something with them - metal, copper..."

Domingo let his change over take him and let Markos explain what they discovered. "It was an EMP, a small localized one."

"That has to be it then, but who would do that?

Marthinus bumped up against Red, sniffing at his pocket. Red pulled the item out - a long distance walkie talkie, and radioed back to Command.

Charlie barked at the two men and then jumped onto one of the abandon cars. The streets had cleared of people which did and didn't help their mission. Lifting his massive head up to the sky, he howled, long and hard.
Ysabel 13 years ago
Ysabel made it to the bottom of the fire escape, Danny secure in her arms. She jumped easily down from the last rung of the fire escape ladder and turned to look up at LT who was still descending. The streets here seemed much quieter; people had vacated the area fairly quickly.

Waiting for him to hit the ground she asked,
"Where downtown were we supposed to meet your... friends?"

She wasn't sure she should be there when they did; LT had seen far too much strangeness from her. But she wanted to see the little boy safe and that meant sticking with them until they located the proper authorities.

As she waited for LT to answer her the hair on the back of her neck went up at the unmistakable sound of a wolf's howl. She remembered what Ambrose had told her a few months back about what he'd seen in the preserve... remembered Amir telling them it wasn't safe.

She turned to LT, eyes wide, and said unnecessarily,
"Did you hear that?"
LT half shrugged, half nodded at Ysabel's question. "They'll find us, we just need to get out of the darkness."

She maintained her hold on Danny and that was fine with him; she was obviously able to take care of herself. LT gave Danny a smile and the little boy looked back at him with his large eyes. Reaching out, he took Ysabel's arm gently to direct her down another alley way when a long howl pierced the night.

It was Charlie.

LT urged her to move quicker as he turned them toward the howl.
"I did, yes," he replied keeping his eyes open and alert as he looked up at the rooftops, searching for movement. They were moving toward the howl, but Charlie was expecting something back, at the very least to let the Pipers know where he was and that he was ok. Pursing his lips, he gave Ysabel a side look and walked a little closer to her.

"That's them. They're waiting for an answer," he said slowly.