Read You Like a Book (PM for invite)

Aishe was looking at a sight that seemed somewhat unique to her. She didn't know Eiryk horribly well yet but they'd met on several occasions and she thought they were friends. To be brutally honest she loved him to death, or undeath, for his outgoing and completely uncovered nature. Several run-ins and several other arranged meetings over the last month or two had only confirmed her beliefs. He'd been over to their house a couple times for coffee and he and Kem had seemed to hit it off, as Aishe had expected they would, due to some of their very common interests.

Now she was standing outside Barney's looking at a very still, very quiet Eiryk. Aishe didn't need empathy to know something was wrong with him. He was leaning back on one of the chairs outside the coffee shop, tilting it back onto two legs, staring at nothing in particular. The expression on his face was what made her go over to him. It was... well, bleak. He looked like someone had just bought him a puppy and then kicked it repeatedly.

As she neared him she discovered his coffee was untouched as well. That was unheard of. He and Kem shared an enthusiasm for good coffee that bordered on the obsessive.

She waited for him to notice she was there, not wanting to startle him into falling over on his chair.

"Hey. Eiryk. Earth to tall handsome blonde."

Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk had been taking a lot of little trips. Just sort of drifting off into never never land. There had been a few times in recent days when he just had no idea where he was, nor did he care. Alexander hadn't called, and Eiryk wasn't sure if he should be the one to go looking. Even if he did go looking what was he going to say? Would Alexander even speak to him.

It was enough to make a grown man cry. He had. He was starting to think that they had broken up.

For some reason Aishe's voice penetrated his misery. But it also took him totally unaware and went head over heals backwards crashing down to the ground. He almost wished he'd hit his head harder. Might get some sense knocked into him that way.

Without his usual smile or joke he looked up at the short little Egyptian vampire from under the chair.

"Hi Aishe. Was I ignoring you?"Â?

After thinking about it for a second he decided to go a head and get up and righted the chair.
Aishe 13 years ago
Well, that was what she'd been trying to avoid. Aishe immediately closed the short distance between her and Eiryk, helping his untangle himself from his chair and get up, checking to make sure he was all right.

She almost drew up short when he spoke. No smile graced his face, not even a hint of cheerful expression. In fact the colors she saw around him, in sharp, clearly defined angular shapes, were colors she'd never associated with him before. They were dark ones - fear, loneliness, depression, insecurity. She was used to seeing those in people. Kem had them in abundance when he was feeling depressed. But Eiryk? Granted she'd only know him for a few weeks but Aishe had never seen these auras in him before.

"No, not really... Eiryk, what's wrong?"

Aishe's first reaction upon getting the blonde upright again was to wrap her arms around his shoulders and pull him close into a tight, warm hug.

((ooc: permission for empathy))
Eiryk 13 years ago
He didn't even think about it when Aishe hugged him. It took a second but he hugged her back, hard. It took some effort but he did manage not to start sobbing at the girl. She didn't deserve that. Finally he managed to let her go and set her down.

"Nothing..."Â?

Oh fuck it. He didn't have any one to talk to. Not really. Pak had the relationship skills of an amoeba. Eiryk was convinced she didn't even recognize the opposite, or indeed even the same, sex. He certainly couldn't talk to any one at work. He felt a little bad but couldn't -not- talk about it.

"I've got guy trouble."Â?

He wouldn't burden her if she didn't want to hear it but god he'd love it if some one would listen.
Aishe 13 years ago
Oomph. Well that hug was at least very Eiryk-like. Aishe guessed he was putting just about everything he had into it. It hurt though. Not physically, but because she felt a lot of emotion behind it. Aishe was sensitive to others' pain and she could feel it radiating off of Eiryk in waves.

He let her go but she stayed close, dragging a chair over with her foot and sitting down then wrapping her arms around him once more. She sure didn't believe 'nothing' for a moment. But Eiryk continued and Aishe nodded understandingly. Relationships could have that effect. She knew firsthand how they could lift you up impossibly high and then drop you back down harder than you'd thought possible.

"Want to tell me about it?"

She didn't know if he wanted a sympathetic ear but Aishe was a good listener and had two shoulders which were both perfectly good for crying on. And she was willing to offer whatever she had to help a friend.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk rather melted. His whole body slouched forward and he rested his head on the table.

"No."Â?

After a seconds though he changed his mind.

"Yes."Â?

There was another pause and another answer.

"I don't know."Â?

He looked down and noticed his shoes needed to be polished. Good lord this thing with Alexander was hitting him harder than he thought. OK so he needed help and help was right here. Eiryk hoisted himself back up to a proper sitting position.

"Honestly, I'm not sure what's going on. We might have broken up but I'm not sure. He said he'd talk to me soon but its been -days- and not even an email or a message on my voice mail."Â?

Eiryk turned desperate eyes on Aishe hoping she had some sort of magical solution to all this.

"I don't have a clue what to do and I'm not sure he'd listen if I tried to talk to him."Â?
Aishe 13 years ago
"Hmm." Aishe tilted her head at Eiryk, just waiting for him to decide what he wanted or needed. She wasn't going to push. When he finally spoke she sighed at the colors flowing out around him. So sad, she thought. I hate when people are sad.

"Why don't you start at the beginning?" she suggested. She couldn't really help if she only had half the story. Then again she might not be able to help at all. But if Eirk wanted her to she'd do her best. She had some experience in the field of relationships, after all.
Eiryk 13 years ago
For one whole second Eiryk considered not saying anything. But, well, his shoes. Next thing he knew he was pouring everything out. Everything from literally running Alexander over while slightly tipsy in Babylon, to the few casual dates, to the incinerated game hens right through Alexander walking away from him. Including the dates he'd had to turn down and the fact that Alexander wouldn't take him home with him.

Somewhere around the game hens, while he had laughed about the smoke, Eiryk had started to tear up here and there. Of course he had a handkerchief and used it to blot at his eyes but he'd didn't even make a pretense of being butch or manly.

"He's just... he's special Aishe. And I don't know what's going on. I don't know if he doesn't want me, I don't know if he doesn't trust me. God... its a mess."Â?

It was the stupid little things he was missing. That smile of his that lit up his whole face, the fact that Alexander could anticipate him knocking something over and minimize if not prevent a crash, and those tee shirts that were both funny and showed him off subtly.
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe, true to nature, listened quietly when Eiryk finally let loose. She'd done her fair share of this in her time, and Eiryk's story began to sound surprisingly familiar. Not similar, but there were definitely some common elements. Maybe she could help a little, after all.

She nodded at Eiryk's last words. While talking about Alexander (and Aishe had definitely begun to suspect they knew the same guy), Eiryk's aura had taken on certain colors that indicated deep emotional attachment. She hesitated to use the word love, because Eiryk hadn't yet. So perhaps he didn't even realize it himself. But she could easily believe he found the other man special.

"Messes between our kind and human kind are common," she said kindly. "Kem and I would know better than anyone, I suspect. Your Alexander, then, would he be the same soft-spoken yoga instructor I've been taking classes from for the last couple of months?"

Alexander's yoga classes were a high point for Aishe. Not only did she enjoy the physical aspect but she loved Alexander's manner and soothing voice. If he had been experiencing "guy trouble" as Eiryk put it, he hadn't brought it into the classroom with him. He'd seemed a little more somber than usual this week, but Alexander was always hard to read for her. Even in class he kept himself locked down under a haze of guardedness that was hard to breach.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"Common does not fix it."Â?

Eiryk said while some how managing to slump over even further.

Right up until he heard her next question. Eiryk sat bolt upright and grabbed Aishe's hand like a life line. She knew him! She'd seen him recently? Maybe? It could happen.

"Tall gorgeous Greek with the best eyes and just... yeah that's him. Have you seen him? How is he?"Â?

That was something Eiryk hadn't thought of, even if he didn't know where Alexander lived he could go to the store. But the place closed before full dark and he really didn't want to interrupt the classes. And he wasn't sure how Alexander would take him just showing up either. Of course, Eiryk was not above begging and groveling if he thought it would work.
Aishe 13 years ago
"Well no," Aishe admitted. "It doesn't fix it, but I might be able to help sort things out."

When Eiryk grabbed her hand, Aishe smiled at him. Reaching up with her free one she patted his cheek gently. Oh, you do have it bad, she thought.

"I've seen him. Just last night in fact," she said. How to answer Eiryk's next question? "He looked fine," she finally responded, "but Alexander doesn't bring anything but his 'teacher face' into classes with him. If you were to ask me from personal experience, I'd say he was, well, a little under the weather."

He looked better than Eiryk, that was certain, but with Alexander Aishe had the feeling he'd rather die than admit to any personal trouble.

"Maybe, knowing you both... it could be a good thing," she said thoughtfully. She'd already put together several pieces of the puzzle that was Alexander. She wondered if Eiryk had her particular abilities. They'd helped a lot. She was guessing not though, or else Eiryk might have a deeper understanding of his lover's personality.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"He's got this thing about day light... and so do I but different things!"Â?

Eiryk moaned. OK that wasn't the worst of their issues but it was the one that had made Alexander walk away so it was the one he concentrated on.

He looked at Aishe with naked longing when she talked about Alexander and the idea that he might be hurting at all tore Eiryk up.

"God the poor guy."Â?

How did you fix that though? And the idea that he might have caused it was a knife in Eiryk's heart. He'd never have done that deliberately. Not in a million years.

He latched on to the idea that Aishe could help with a bit of his usual optimism, although he still couldn't quite bring himself to smile.

"Do you think? I mean I want to fix it I just don't know where to start."Â?

He didn't even know what was broken. OK somethings had been scratch and dent models but Eiryk hadn't realized things were at fire sale proportions until Alexander had already gone.
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe nodded, understanding. Of course Alex had a thing about daylight. He owned an outdoor supply store. If he and Eiryk were seeing each other then Alex would naturally want to share those things that were important to him. Clearly that meant doing things outdoors.

"Let me guess. You turned down more than a few dates because they involved soaking up the sunlight and you didn't want to spontaneously combust in front of your boyfriend?" Aishe offered Eiryk a gentle smile.

And naturally that would prey on one of the few facts she knew for certain about Alexander - he was very insecure. There was nothing Eiryk could do about it, not really. He had to keep turning down dates or risk running Alexander off completely by telling him the truth. How would he handle the news that his boyfriend was a vampire? Did he love Eiryk enough to accept that? She didn't know, from where she sat right now.

Poor both of them, she thought.

"I was in his position once," Aishe said with a shrug. "Not so long ago. And there's rarely ever anything that can't be fixed if you're both willing."

Maybe Alexander wasn't willing.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk nodded bleakly. Burning to a crisp was not sexy and did not impress any one. And it wasn't a trick you could repeat. His head went back on the table, but he wouldn't look at his shoes, it hurt too much. And not because they were expensive shoes, but because they made him realize how much he missed Alexander.

"It just seems... too soon to tell him the whole truth. I mean he won't even let me come over and pick him up for a date and I'm supposed to tell him I'm a vampire?"Â?

It was terribly unfair. Eiryk was starting to debate going to live with Angus full time for the next century or so. He ought to be over Alexander by then.

"I'm willing. I'm willing!"Â?

He practically shouted at Aishe, sort of like a tent revival. Amen Hallelujah! Help me get the boy back!

"What did you do? I mean how did you fix it?"Â?
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe wrapped her arm around Eiryk's shoulders once more when he flopped onto the table, rubbing his back comfortingly. If Alexander was willing to work on things, she thought they might have a chance.

If Eiryk thought it was too soon to tell Alexander who and what he was, then maybe that was the case. But it might also be the only way to salvage what they had, if things were really that bad. She didn't know Alexander's feelings.

"It was easier for Kem to hide on me," she said with a little grin. "I lived a couple of hours from here. He never got to my place until well after sundown. And with his coloring, well, it was pretty easy to guess he was sensitive to light. For a long time I never questioned it. It was a year or so before I started putting puzzle pieces together. And once I did it didn't matter what he was." Aishe smiled at the memory, not so far in the past. "I came to Nachton and did everything I could to put a neon sign on my back. And so you see me today, just as nocturnal as you are."

Aishe nibbled at her fingernail thoughtfully.
"I was definitely a daytime person too," she said, "but being with Kem was worth giving it up. Maybe Alexander will feel the same."

Maybe not.

"The trouble is," she continued, "I've had a few chances to talk to Alexander one on one, and I don't know if you realize it but he has some... well, doubts."

That was putting it mildly. "Basically, I think every time you have to put him off he gets more and more sure you don't care."

The recipe was one for disaster, that was sure. It was the perfect storm for the two of them.
"It'll be different for you two, if you want to fix things. You have to talk to him, Eiryk," she said. "Tell him something. Even if it's not the truth. The longer you wait, the longer you let him go without talking to him, the harder it's going to be to get him back."

They had to think of a plausible lie. If Eiryk couldn't tell Alexander what he was yet, there had to be some way to explain. Aishe wasn't a fan of lying under any circumstances, though. The choice, ultimately, wasn't hers.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk looked at his own coloring and realized he was never going to be able to play that card. Hmmm... he really couldn't see Alexander as a vampire. Well maybe. God, it wasn't even something Eiryk had thought of until just right then.

Looking up at Aishe, he nodded. It made sense. It had seemed to him that Alexander tended to hold part of himself back. But Eiryk hadn't realized just how much that might affect the man.

"But... well... when he... I just... I'm not sure he wants me."Â?

It was all very confusing. He could understand Alexander developing doubts when he was forced to turn down dates. But it was a two way street. When he held back, kept Eiryk at arm's length, well Eiryk started to wonder if Alexander was really interested.

"I care though."Â?

He said very quietly only just now to start to realize how much he cared.

"Do you think I should go looking for him? I thought maybe I should give him some space. I didn't want to push him into anything."Â?
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe sighed softly. She wanted everyone to have a happy ending; after all, she was living hers now. But maybe Eiryk was right. Maybe Alexander didn't return his feelings. It took a special connection for it to work between two people, no matter what race they were. Aishe couldn't know where Alexander stood until she talked to him and even then she wasn't sure she'd learn much.

She remembered his aura though, and she remembered the beautiful blue she'd seen. Alexander wasn't a cold person. She couldn't see him cutting Eiryk off and leaving him hurting. People acted strangely where attraction was concerned though.

"I think the more space you give him, the more he'll convince himself you never wanted a relationship with him at all." That she could say with some certainty. It was the nature of the insecure to leave it and leave it and leave it until they convinced themselves that it was right. Kem did the same thing.

"Personally," Aishe said, "I think honesty is always best. Even if you can't tell him what you are, maybe you can ask him to believe in you. Tell him it's not him, but that there is a reason why you can't do what he wants you to do, and that you'll tell him when you're ready. Give him that trust. Someone's got to start."

She lifted her shoulders helplessly.
"If he cares, too, then that will be enough."
Eiryk 13 years ago
"You think?"Â?

Eiryk hadn't wanted to be too hovery or clingy. Some how he'd gotten the idea that Alexander had wanted to think about things. But he was willing to try anything at this point. Besides he really wanted to see Alexander. At the very least he owed the man the opportunity to tell him off.

"Maybe I'll go over tomorrow night about the time classes finish."Â?

It wasn't much of a plan, but it was a plan and Eiryk was willing to embrace it fully. Maybe he'd bring a bottle of mead and some flowers. Probably best to go into full on groveling mode, just right from the get go. Did this require a fruit basket?

Eiryk was feeling a little better, just a little. And was perking up a bit, but it was an up hill battle as he promptly beat himself down again.

"I told him I couldn't make it... and he said couldn't and wouldn't were two different things. Maybe I just have to be more adamant, more specific and reassuring."Â?

Yeah, that was all he just had to tackle this head on! He could do this. Maybe he was going to have to bite the bullet and tell Alexander he was a vampire. Eiryk would have to sleep on that, it was a calculated risk but Alexander was worth it. OK he did. He had a plan... he hoped.

"God I hope you're right. I really do, but damned if I'm going down, I'm going down swinging!"Â?

Alexander was worth a fight!
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe shrugged at Eiryk, glad to see him perking up a little bit at least. "Honestly I can't say. I've only heard your side."

Boy would she feel bad to have given him such advice and been completely wrong about Alexander.

"All I know is if you do nothing, you get nothing." That philosophy had worked for her in the past. "Talking over everything will clear the air, hopefully, and if it doesn't work out, well, at least it wasn't for lack of trying."

She remembered how frightened she'd been in Nachton at first, but also how determined she was. If she'd met her end here at least she'd have done so knowing she did all she could. And her own gamble had paid off. She certainly didn't love Kiamhaat any less now than three years ago.

"Do you love him, Eiryk?"

It was a crucial point. Liking was one thing. Caring for was another. Love, though... love was worth any gamble.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Crap, there was that. Aishe might be relatively brilliant and generous and a vampire but she wasn't infallible. None of them were.

"Well I don't think I could screw things up any more than I have."Â?

He didn't remember relationships being this hard. Of course his last lover had been a vampire, god that saved so much time it wasn't even funny. But, as much as Eiryk had enjoyed Ian's company it wasn't like this. Neither of them felt bad going their separate ways when the time came. This was different.

Leave it to Aishe to pick up on that and then call him on it. Eiryk looked stunned, like he'd just been hit over the head with a mallet.

"Ummmmm.... ummmmm.... ummmmmmmm..."Â?

How did you tell if you were in love this fast? Was two months fast? OK new tactic if he never saw Alexander again how would he feel? Eiryk considered this and was having a very hard time imagining not having Alexander in his life. Sure he knew the man was human and unless he wanted to be turned he'd die but to not have those years before hand, Eiryk couldn't conceive of it.

"Well...."Â? He said cautiously, "I don't know. I might though. It... it is possible."Â?

Holy crap. He might. Eiryk couldn't remember the last time he'd been in love. And he had no idea what you did when you were any more.
Aishe 13 years ago
"It takes two people to screw something up, generally," Aishe reminded Eiryk. Again, not knowing both sides, maybe that wasn't the case but if so, it happened rarely.

Eiryk's reaction to her simple question had her grinning. Maybe he didn't know. But Aishe had a good idea. It gave Eiryk something to think about though. Love was a serious commitment. You didn't just give up on it, and you didn't take the steps Eiryk was considering if love wasn't involved.

"I just want to make sure you're doing what you're doing for the right reasons," she said. "If that's what it is, then you have to tell him everything. If you don't tell him now and he finds out later, imagine how he'll feel knowing you didn't trust him with it. It's a risk, of course, but isn't everything?"

Eiryk was nodding along with her. From the colors of his aura, Aishe could tell he was at least looking a little more hopeful. His face had taken on a lot more of its typical mobility and had lost the stony, bleak expression he'd had before. She didn't know if she'd given him the right advice, but at least he had something now.

Aishe picked up Eiryk's cold cup of coffee and wrinkled her nose at it. Taking him by the hand she dragged him up from his chair and back into Barney's.

"Let's get something fresher. My treat this time."

She hid her crossed fingers behind a nice hot cup of chocolate.

((ooc: Both out))