Lie To Me (Attn: Alexander)

It had been a mad impulse. Something suggested by one of his assistants, a nice young man who ran the office during the day. But Eiryk really hoped the lighter, more whimsical atmosphere of the miniature golf course would keep Alexander from getting -too- upset with him.

Lord knew the man had a right to be. Alexander had asked him out twice, and it did sound like fun one was a day hike and the other had been a farmer's market. Something about teaching Eiryk to not burn down his place. But both had been daylight activities. While Eiryk could be awake during daylight hours, he could not be out and about, and once he was out he was -out- near nothing roused him. He'd even missed one or two of Alexander's calls. He could sort of hear the phone but only once had he been able to wake enough to answer it, and even then it had been too late, the call had been disconnected by the time he managed to pick it up.

Still, Alexander kept forgiving him. Which probably had something to do with the fact that he wouldn't ask Eiryk over. They always wound up out doing something or at his place. Eiryk couldn't even get an address to send Alexander flowers. They were both frustrated, but each enjoyed the others company too much to give up. But Eiryk could see where this was going to be an uphill battle, if nothing else -he- was running out of excuses. And it certainly wasn't helping the trust factor because Alexander was still holding off...

But Eiryk was -determined- to make this work.

As they walked to the first tee with balls and clubs in hand, Eiryk some how managed to trip over the putter and right into Alexander.

"I think that means you go first."Â?

Alex Aristos 13 years ago
Alexander was happy to catch Eiryk before something far more disastrous happened. "Oh no," he said seriously. "I remember the warning. Let you go first, count to thirty, and then follow."

With a teasing smile he stepped well back from the first hole and gave Eiryk a mock-formal bow.
"After you."

This was the first time they'd seen each other in a week or so. Alex had to admit he was experiencing some serious doubts, but when they actually had a chance to spend time together he and Eiryk had a lot of fun, and the attraction was undeniable. They'd been to the movies a few times, dinner a number of times, and he'd been to Eiryk's apartment at Liefde several times as well. Alex, though, wasn't really the night type. His current lifestyle forced him to see Eiryk late at night out of necessity but he'd asked him a couple times to go out on Sunday and both times Eiryk had turned him down.

For someone who claimed to want a closer physical relationship, Eiryk seemed to be doing a reasonable job at not getting involved in those things that Alex really enjoyed. It spoke volumes to Alex, who would have loved Eiryk's company on either expedition. And it made him shy away from anything more physical.

On top of that he was pretty sure Eiryk was getting annoyed at his continued evasion of the topic of Alex's own apartment. On several occasions Eiryk had obliquely tried to figure out where Alex lived and Alex had slithered away from the topic. It wasn't that he was ashamed; his apartment was nothing to write home about but it was clean and organized. It was more that, having spent the last couple months dating Eiryk, Alex was pretty sure his own place was going to be a let down. He couldn't imagine Eiryk feeling at home there at all. It wasn't polished, luxurious, and full of expensive things.

Both issues stood in the way of their having a completely open relationship but didn't stop them from enjoying each other's company anyway. So when Eiryk had invited him out tonight Alexander had accepted happily enough. He was working up to inviting Eiryk over... he really was. But every time Eiryk dodged an invitation it set Alex back another date. Or three.

He wisely maintained his distance as Eiryk prepared his shot. As the blond drew his arms back Alexander closed his eyes and peeked out of one just to see if anything would break, or if anyone would need CPR.
Eiryk 13 years ago
"You act like I'm dangerous or something."Â?

Eiryk said with a laugh, but let Alexander goad him into going first.

He really had no idea how to play this game. Hell he had no idea how to play grown up golf, but that was a daylight game. At least this one could be played all hours. Watching one or two people he got the general idea and dropped the golf ball on the tee area and drew back to putt it around the dog leg to the hole.

That was the plan any way. Right up until the point that he hit Alexander in the shins with the putter.

"Crap. Crap. Crap. Are you OK?"Â?

He'd never willingly hurt Alexander. Eiryk was afraid he'd already been forced to injure the man already, even if it had been for a good reason. As much as he liked Alexander, and Eiryk did... lord did he... Eiryk hadn't been this interested in a man in -years- it was just far too soon to explain his other lifestyle choice. It was too soon, and Eiryk feared, too unbelievable. If he told Alexander now the man would dismiss him as a raving lunatic or the truth as some desperate lie to get him into bed. No, Eiryk couldn't risk it. It had to wait. They had to work this out, without resorting to the truth.
Busy waiting for someone else to take a putter to the face, Alex barely registered when Eiryk wound up to swing like a batter at the plate and caught Alex right on the shin bone. Eiryk's distress was such that Alexander had to burst out laughing, steadying himself by grabbing Eiryk's shoulder while he hopped briefly up and down on one foot.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," he reassured Eiryk. "I just learned that three feet isn't far enough."

He pulled up the leg of his jeans to show Eiryk he was really fine; a tiny little cut and scrape that was barely bleeding. Mini-golf putters weren't known for their weight and durability. Alexander was pretty sure he could take a putter to the shin a few times and come out fighting.

He stepped back again, this time to the side as well.
"I think we should be good now."

Alex felt bad; now Eiryk looked nervous. He played his own clumsiness down and laughed about it but Alexander wondered if he really was more conscious of it than he let on. When Eiryk glanced at him again, Alex gave a quick tapdancing shuffle-hop to prove he wasn't going to need reconstructive surgery and crutches anytime soon.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk shuddered delicately, almost imperceptibly. It wasn't that there was a lot of blood, there wasn't but it was Alexander's blood. It was more tempting that Eiryk could comprehend. He beat the urge down and concentrated on his date as a person rather than a snack. Fortunately Alexander had grabbed his shoulder and teased him. Good. Good that kept him focused. Oh why hadn't he gone out hunting last night?

Satisfied that Alexander was OK and that he had a handle on his hunger Eiryk tried this again. This time no one died. The ball didn't really get any where near the hole but it did go in the right general direction. He was happy enough with that.

Brushing some lovely dark hair over Alexander's ear he looked up at his date with the most soulful eyes he could manage.

"I should have brought you shin guards. Isn't that tradition for a two month anniversary?"Â?

It was hard to believe it had been that long. Harder still for Eiryk to believe he'd been that patient. But it had been
Alexander had a hard time looking away when Eiryk used his big blue eyes to their maximum effect. That wasn't fair. And it made him smile, as much as the anniversary gift idea.

"Oh, is it shin guards?" he asked. "I thought shin guards were month four or five. I thought month two was a little more romantic. You know. Paper clips or something."

He took his turn on the green with considerably more success in that no one within a mile needed a band-aid when he stepped away again. He and Eiryk managed to laugh their way through the first six holes as they each got progressively harder.

Somewhere in the back of Alex's mind he realized that this was exactly how it was supposed to be with someone whose company you enjoyed. Neither one of them was exactly a golf pro but it didn't matter. They didn't even bother keeping score. Alex knocked a few points off of Eiryk's for being a great kisser and Alex was rewarded with -3 strokes for killer abs. The scoring got more ludicrous as they went on, but then, so did the course.

By the time they stood at hole 10, which had some kind of interesting labyrinth-theme thing happening, the scoring had degenerated completely. Alex stood behind Eiryk, looking over the shorter man's shoulder. There was a couple in front of them who they were waiting on. In a rare public display prompted by their mood and also in part because they were partially shielded by a wall, Alex wrapped his arms around Eiryk's waist and rested his chin on his shoulder.

"I hope you're having a good time," he said softly. "I missed you this week."

Granted they didn't always have a lot of time to see each other. Sometimes it was once a week, sometimes twice. It always left Alexander wanting more. Eiryk's cheerful attitude, open friendliness, and teasing manner were so appealing Alexander had to wonder why he was single (and, after two months, if either one of them actually qualified as single anymore). The only thing that was really missing was someone to share his own hobbies with. Maybe it would come in time.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Now this was his kind of scoring. To Eiryk it made perfect sense. Who ever wrote the rules was probably rolling over in their grave, but oddly enough Eiryk just didn't care. He didn't even care they'd caught up to the couple in front of them and were having to wait.

He cared even less when Alexander wrapped his hands around his waist and he felt the familiar weight of the other man's chin on his shoulder. It was one of the reasons Eiryk didn't mind Alexander being taller than he was. It just felt so cozy, so right.

He turned and raised his face to Alexander, not caring that they were in public, he kissed him.

"How could I not have a good time with you here?"Â?

And queue the guilt. Eiryk hadn't -wanted- to say no. He wanted nothing more than to say yes. Eiryk was no fool he knew that but turning Alexander down he was making life more difficult for the both of them. But it wasn't like he had a choice.

"I missed you too. I really am -very- sorry about my schedule. It just... well... it was. But I'm here now and so are you."Â?

He waggled his eyebrows, teasing, inviting and in general being himself. It was a shame he was already running out of excuses. This was going to get worse before it got better Eiryk suspected.
Alexander nodded, still resting on Eiryk's broad shoulder. He might have had a few inches on Eiryk, but there was nothing small about the blonde. He had to work out at some point; while his frame was built smaller than Alex's he was still nicely put together. There was nothing really soft about him. He was put together much in the same manner as Alex; athletic and strong. He was easy to hold, easy to fall for even if his personality hadn't been so unique.

"It's okay," Alex half-lied. "I understand how it goes. I've been busy too."

The couple moved off and Alex turned his head, pressing his lips lightly to Eiryk's neck before letting go and moving out to the maze-green. "Maybe you can tell me what a good day to hike would be, and we'll aim for that?"

That seemed fair enough. If Alex was just hitting all the wrong days then Eiryk should be able to tell him which would be better ones. Satisfied that there was indeed a way to work this issue out, Alex tapped his ball lightly and watched it roll through the little labyrinth, dropping from level to level, finally popping out and coming to a stop close to the hole.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk could cry, Alexander was being so sweet and understanding. Two things that seemed to come naturally to the man, more so than they came to Eiryk at least. And here he was going to have to lie, right to that sweet, caring, understanding man's face.

Something that was made even harder when Eiryk felt Alexander's lips on his neck. God, the only thing that would make it at -all- better was if Alexander just went a head and bit him. It took more than a little effort but Eiryk smacked his libido down and tried to think logically, how could he get out of this?

"I know I'd love to go with you. I will tell you as soon as I have a day I can make it."Â?

That was all completely true. What Eiryk left out was that he would never have a day he could go out side. It killed him because this was so obviously a part of Alexander and Eiryk was tremendously flattered that he wanted to share it with him.

Knowing he was stretching the truth Eiryk was happy enough to distract himself with his turn. It wasn't as good as Alexander's but it wasn't bad and their were no injuries.
'Don't call me, I'll call you.' If Alex were the suspicious type he might have read between the lines. The thought occurred to him and just as swiftly he dismissed it. Eiryk wasn't the sort. If he said he'd let Alex know then he would. That thought was sufficiently cheering that he held Eiryk's hand as they finished that hole and strolled to the next, stuck once more behind the slow couple.

The game went slowly from there since there seemed to be a bottleneck on hole 14. Alex didn't mind. He and Eiryk talked quietly as they waited their turns like everyone else. A few people looked agitated to be stuck on a line instead of happily putting but most of them, like Alex and Eiryk, saw the activity as more like something to do while they chatted.

They managed to finish the entire course without further injury to anyone on it, much to Eiryk's great delight. When that was done they wandered back through the arcade, stopping here and there to toss tokens into one of them and play each other. When they finally made it to the doorway and stood just outside the arcade on the street they both stopped.

Alexander looked down at Eiryk.
"Where to?"

It was barely ten. They rarely called it a night before midnight, and today was Saturday so Alexander didn't have to get up at all the next morning. He waited for Eiryk to call the next shot.
Eiryk 13 years ago
He wanted to try skee ball, it always looked like fun and Pak seemed to have a minor addiction to the game. But he'd tried it once when out with her and nearly killed three people. She'd sworn if she ever heard of him touching the game again she'd hunt him down and kill him. Eiryk believed her. But they found plenty of other games to try.

They were both tiring of the arcade about the same time. Eiryk, for one, would be more than happy to spend the remainder of the evening in a quiet and more intimate setting That was especially true knowing Alexander should be able to stay up extra late tonight, and if he didn't have to rush off to get to bed...

"Your place is closer than mine?"Â?

Eiryk casually suggested, although he had -no- idea if it was or not. He was still hopeful. Really there was no reason he could see for Alexander not to take him home.
Well, Alex had left himself wide open there. "Actually I think yours is," he said easily enough. "Probably a lot more comfortable too. And I haven't shopped in a couple days so I don't have much to offer you."

He ran through a laundry list of excuses, none of which flowed readily off the tongue. He was still having trouble with the idea of dragging fashionable, high-class Eiryk up three flights of chipped-paint stairways to his stark, run-down apartment. He didn't have anything to offer him to drink, certainly nothing as exotic as home brewed mead, his couch was not the most comfortable thing in the word for two people to share, and even his bed would probably be a tight squeeze for the two of them. Not to mention the tiny TV.

No. Definitely not his place.
"Don't worry, you're not missing out," Alexander said, trying not to come off sounding too defensive.

He slipped his hand into Eiryk's and began to walk toward Liefde, which was als in the direction of his apartment but Eiryk didn't need to know that. Alex was well on his way to being able to manage a few upgrades and when he did maybe he'd think about having company over. For now, not Eiryk.

Alex knew he was doing Eiryk a disservice. Nothing he'd learned about Eiryk so far in any way suggested he might think less of Alex for the way he lived but Alex felt way to "working girl" to let Eiryk in just yet.
Eiryk 13 years ago
If Alexander hadn't taken his hand Eiryk would have started tying knots. It was frustrating. Some days Eiryk doubted Alexander wanted him around. How he could keep avoiding having Eiryk over, it just boggled the mind.

If only Alexander knew that more often than not Eiryk had nothing in is place and that everything there was an act. Well everything but the mead, tea and coffee.

"Of course I'm missing out."Â?

He said quietly. But he didn't really push the issues, he had Alexander's hand in his and he was going to get him alone for a few hours. That alone perked Eiryk up. But obviously he couldn't ask Alexander to trust him if he couldn't trust Alexander.

Maybe this was why he'd stuck to being single most of the time.

Eiryk raised Alexander's hand to his lips and kissed it softly. They'd make this work. Some how.

"Now... what were you planing on doing with me once you got me a lone?"Â?
Alexander hear Eiryk's murmur and felt guilty almost immediately. Eiryk obviously wanted to see his apartment, to maybe feel like more of a part of him, but Alex couldn't do it. Not yet. It was totally not Eiryk's style at all. He didn't want to see the expression on Eiryk's face when he was entirely underwhelmed by it, and most of all he didn't want Eiryk getting any notions to 'help' him or feel sorry for him or any of that. The apartment might not be much but it was Alexander's and he liked it.

Eiryk seemed willing to let it go though, and Alex sighed with relief as they continued their walk toward the towers Eiryk called home. He relaxed a little, convinced that Eiryk wasn't going to bring the issue up again, and his smile came out a little.

"I don't know, I'm sure we could think of something. We could always watch a movie."

The phrase had become their "inside joke," a term they used when they had no intention of paying attention to anything on whatever screen was in front of them. They (and by they, he supposed he meant 'he') still called it good somewhere around second base heading for third and Alex knew Eiryk wanted more.

That was another difference between them. With Eiryk it was always more. He wanted everything at once. Impatience, Alex supposed, or another facet of that limitless enthusiasm that was both endearing and frustrating. Alex was in no hurry. In spit of the little troubles that plagued them he still thought they had plenty of time to get wherever this relationship was taking them.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Eiryk wanted to beat his head against a wall. He didn't know how to be more open with Alexander. Really, he was only keeping one thing from the man. OK so it was a -huge- thing but still it was just the one. It was starting to eat at the back of his mind, -way- at the back where he wasn't even aware of it that maybe Alexander was looking to push him away. But that idea was only the faintest of shadows in his subconscious.

"I do like the movies."Â?

There was unbridled enthusiasm in that statement. In a futile and impulsive attempt to channel that enthusiasm Eiryk attempted to jump on Alexander. He failed miserable only to tumble off of Alexander and into a stop sign. In a very strange moment of almost grace he caught the pole the sign was mounted on, swung around it like a stripper for a brief second only to fall flat on his face in a completely new direction. Thank god he'd worn jeans tonight, they were a little sturdier than some of his clothes.

It was probably a good thing he fell so badly though. It took his mind off the fact that Alexander was moving -very- slowly on the physical front. It wasn't that Eiryk wanted to be pushy or not respect the other man's wishes but Eiryk was keenly aware that Alexander wasn't getting any younger. Selfishly he wanted as much time with Alexander as he could possibly get.

He was sorely tempted to try and start a 'where is this relationship going' talk but he just couldn't do it. They both had faults and until he was ready to open that last door for Alexander, well Eiryk didn't think he had the right to really demand anything of Alexander.
Alexander was about to make a response to Eiryk's statement when he was tackled from behind. Almost. He'd never seen anyone rebound off a stop sign before. That looked painful. It briefly occurred to him that Eiryk would do a lot less damage if he just gave up and fell rather than trying to stop it from happening but as it was he found himself kneeling on the ground in front of his date, wondering once more if CPR was going to be necessary.

Astonishingly, Eiryk seemed to be all right. He might have two left feet (and that was doing a disservice to left feet everywhere, Alex knew), but he was pretty lucky when it came to results.

Alex helped Eiryk up, shaking his head.
"On second thought maybe we should just go dancing," he said.
Eiryk 13 years ago
It was moderately possible Eiryk kept falling over as bad as he did so that Alexander would feel sorry for him and help him up. It wasn't, but it was possible and it was a nice fringe benefit, he had to admit that.

Standing up, but not releasing Alexander's hands he pulled the younger man to him and kissed him soundly.

"Does that mean I get to watch you on a stripper pole? Can you do the whole upside down move?"Â?

Mmmmmm... upside down. Hell Eiryk didn't care if it was upside up, upside down or sideways but they -had- to eventually do something about this. One of the two of them was going to spontaneously combust, and Eiryk's bet was he'd go up in smoke first.
Alex blinked at Eiryk. "Not the dancing I meant."

He didn't say anything else because he was busy trying to keep his face from turning red at the suggestiveness plus the kiss. How did Eiryk do it? Go from sweet and innocent one second to... completely suggestive the next. Not even suggestive, but blatant! That was what made Alex wonder sometimes. Eiryk was so impatient. If Alex kept moving slowly, would Eiryk lose interest?

He didn't want that.

Frustrated and a little worried he continued to walk, his hand in Eiryk's, giving him a little tug to move him along. Maybe he should go straight home tonight. Alone. He obviously needed to evaluate how he felt and then have a chat with Eiryk. Alex hadn't been sure about a relationship when they'd started this affair, but he was pretty sure now. He missed Eiryk when they weren't together; he felt happy when they were; he thought about him plenty. Yeah. He wanted more. He just wasn't sure about Eiryk.

"I think," he said, pausing as they turned a corner, "maybe I should go home tonight."

He didn't like saying it. He'd rather have stayed with Eiryk. But what Eiryk currently wanted and what Alex was prepared for were two very different things.
Eiryk 13 years ago
God damned it to hell and back. He hadn't meant to push Alexander away. Not even a little bit.

When Alexander said he might go home tonight Eiryk stopped at the corner, under the street light and did his best hurt puppy imitation. Hurt puppy went to hopeful though, maybe Alexander was a bit like him, maybe he needed to retreat to his own territory to feel totally comfortable.

It could happen. A little cautious Eiryk countered delicately.

"We could do that."Â?
Alex resisted the urge to pinch the bridge of his nose, feeling horrible as Eiryk immediately threw the puppy-dog blue eyes at him. He wanted to think. he wanted to make sure of what he felt, and he needed to consider whether he could seriously date someone who didn't share the same hobbies as he did. He didn't need Eiryk to be a camping or hiking guru, but if he had shown at least a little interest, it might have helped. Alexander wasn't a total night owl like Eiryk seemed to be. Movies and dinner and nights on the town were fun but Alex needed nature and sunlight. Could they build a relationship on such different foundations?

He sighed, pulled Eiryk close, and kissed him softly.

"I'll walk you home first," he offered, knowing that might cause some trouble.
Eiryk 13 years ago
Now Eiryk was just hurt. Sure they'd had some issues here and there, diet, schedule, one of them would die in sunlight and the other thrived on it but he thought they'd been doing fairly well so far. He'd even been very understanding of the physical. It really wasn't an issue. But this was Alexander very clearly pushing him away.

"I know the way home."Â?

Eiryk sulked just a little. It was impossible not to sulk. He just didn't even know where to go with this, or what to make of it.

"I just... you know... I want... I don't want you to close any doors, that's all."Â?

Literally and metaphorically. He literally didn't want Alexander to keep shutting doors in his face and he didn't want any figurative doors shut either. The relationship needed room to grow!