Everything has it season((Attn Amir))

Mai moved quietly into her rooms, pausing at the entrance to remove her shoes. She stepped up on the platform and moved around to the inner section. There were some partions of rooms off to either side but this room was the largest. She walked over to the back wall and opened the shoji to let in the sounds of the night. No one would get close enough to hear a conversation without her knowing about it.

She lit the hearth, gathered water and tea from the small kitchen area to the side and then set the pot down on a metal stand amongst the coals.

Kneeling on the floor, Mai waited for Amir to enter.

Amir 13 years ago
Amir had never been to Elder Mai's living space but that seemed to be where she'd gone. He debated knocking but she given him every indication she was expecting him to come to her. Therefore he followed, not very far behind her after rolling his bike into shelter, and quietly stepped inside of her rooms.

Removing his shoes and putting them aside he stepped up past the entry way and around the screen, discovering Mai waiting quietly. Amir let his arms fall to the sides and bowed from the waist, holding it for the proper second or two to establish respect for a superior, before approaching.

He wasn't sure what she'd wanted to speak to him about, but it wasn't his place to disobey. Amir took liberties and freedoms with Subira because they had been given, and even requested. Not so with Mai. Amir simply knelt and waited for her to speak.
Mai 13 years ago
Mai bowed her head from her place and the motioned with her hand to a cushion on the floor next to her.

"Come, sit, we must talk"

While he was being seated, she neatly turned over two small printed cups for tea. Perhaps she should have asked whether he liked the drink but it had not occured to her. Sometimes Mai believed Thaddeus only drank the tea because she enjoyed it do much. It was considerate of him, but her Ba-di was always kind to her.

Right now though, they had other matters to discuss.

((OOC: Sadly, she won't start speaking of important things until he sits down which, of course, makes Amir and his player wait. Silly girl, but she doesn't do what I tell her. ))
Amir 13 years ago
Apparently Amir was to sit where she wanted him. He raised one eyebrow at her, but didn't question. Instead he rose to his feet, crossed the short space between them, and positioned himself where she appeared to want him. He was already restless from their brief run in the park but he settled himself and stilled his thoughts as well as his body while he waited.

He didn't know if Mai and Subira had been in touch, but surely Mai knew he received his orders from her? The nagging idea that he'd been working on lately, the one that said Subira was not acting 'herself,' rose to the fore. Did Mai know something Amir didn't?

Well, he supposed he was about to find out.
Mai 13 years ago
Mai considered Amir for the moment. What did he know? What should he? The gifting and coveting of truths was not something that she understood. That was something better left to the order of the Rose.

"I know you wish to hunt the Children of the Wolf. They have been our enemies for a long time."

She graced him with a smile.

"I have been doing the same these past years. I understand."

"But"

Mai paused to pull the teapot off the fire. Holding the edge of her kimono sleave with one hand, she slowly poured the tea into the delicate little cups. Gently, she sat the teapot back down on the hearth. Craddling one cup in both hands, she picked it up and then proffered it to Amir.

"We have a much bigger concern. You and your Creator are in danger."

Mai picked up her tiny cup of tea and took a sip. She then fixed her white eyes on Amir and waited. Perhaps he knew already, perhaps he did not. Either way, Mai felt it wise to make sure he fully understood the situation.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir nodded at Mai's understatement. Wish to hunt? No, Amir had been created to hunt them and control them, to keep their Clan safe from them, a job that was increasingly important as the weres took over more and more of their territory.

The grace with which she poured tea was not lost on Amir, who had spent centuries in Asia and could easily tell when someone was repeating a gesture repeated many times. The angle of Mai's arm was perfect, the angle of the teapot as well. It was an old ritual, and ancient exchange.

He accepted the warm cup from her and sipped gently, listening. When she spoke again his dark brows rose in twin arches.

"A bigger concern than that which we've worked for centuries to accomplish?"

The idea that they were in danger was of no concern. Amir was fully prepared to die in defense of his Clan. It had been ingrained in him from the time of his turning. His job was to fight to the death if necessary to protect Anantya.

"What is the nature of this danger?"

What more danger could there be, than heading up the Most Wanted list of both wolf Packs?
Mai 13 years ago
Mai nodded once. It was indeed bigger than their centuries old conflict with the werewolves.

"Yes, We cannot maintain the control that we once had, Amir."

She knew that he had felt this was his sacred duty and in many ways it had been. That was going to change, whether he liked it or not. Mai considered again, even whether Subira liked it or not.

"Someone is killing those who had commanded the werewolves."

She had killed many of their enemy and still she had not found a trace to the one who had done this thing. She had watched them, tracked them, even sat listening at their camp fires and it gained her little. Finally, she came home. Here Mai would protect those with command who were left because someone was coming for them.

Someone with the power to kill ancients.

"I believe this person to be a vampire. Someone who knows our people and our ways."

Mai took another sip of her tea and stared outward towards the distance.

"Many of our oldest ones are now dead. You and your Creator are among but a handful that are left."
Amir 13 years ago
Amir forgot about the small cup in his hands. Mai's words rang through his head like a bell and he stared at her for a moment, expressionless.

Then he remembered to move, lifted the cup again, and coolly took another sip. The steaming liquid scalded its way down his throat.
"So this person may be coming to Nachton. Or going to Africa."

Amir's lips drew into a compressed line. He nodded at Mai. "So be it."
Mai 13 years ago
She heard Morrigan once chastise a young member of the Rose, saying "Pride comes before the fall." Mai thought that might be applicable here as well. Still the reaction did not come as a surprise to her. Many Huntsmen felt they were quite capable of taking care of themselves. In many cases, they were; just not this one.

"You have children amongst us,ne, Amir-san?"

Mai smiled and looked down at her tea, swirling what was left of it in her cup once or twice before continuing.

"You care for them? And would protect them?"

She took the last sip of her tea.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir scowled into his cup. "Yes. I do. Two of them here in Nachton right now."

Three, technically.

Now, that wasn't entirely fair. Amir protected his own. He'd been protecting them, in his way, ever since the fiasco at the Preserve. As far as he knew no one but the wolves were aware he'd had any help at all and he continued to avoid asking Bao or Mara for assistance of any sort.

"They aren't involved with the wolves."

That was his job and his alone, but would this new enemy threaten his creations to get to him? Four of them weren't even in the US right now; they had jobs for the Clan elsewhere. It was only Bao here, and Mara.

The idea that either of them could be in danger sent a chill down his spine. Amir cared for them both. Of all he'd turned, Bao was the one who'd remained close and become a friend. And Mara...

Amir looked at Mai.
"What would you have me do, Elder? I'm not going to hide at the smallest hint of danger. I have a duty to my Clan."

If she was changing his orders, could he obey her as he was supposed to? Subira was his master, technically. She had created him, molded him, shaped him, and had never let go of him. Not even Shades presumed to tell Amir what to do. Amir wasn't sure how to go about following directions if he received two sets of conflicting orders.
Mai 13 years ago
It was good to know that none of his children were involved with the wolves. That made things less complicated. Mai smiled but shook her head.

"All of Anantya are my children. It is my duty to protect them."

She could not do that very well with a threat that was unknown to her. Whoever was murdering her people; Mai would find them eventually and she would kill them. There would be no trial, no waiting. The Rose might not understand and they might be angry. She would deal with those consequences when they happened.

Finding this threat was the most important thing.

"I do not expect you to hide, Amir. You are of the Hunt."

She frowned slightly; the very idea of a member of her Order hiding from danger was absurd. It would be the same as a lion trying to graze on grass. Looking at him directly, Mai said.

"I expect you to help me."

((OOC: Weeee, conflicting orders for Amir! Do you think sparks will fly if we overload his brain?))
Amir 13 years ago
Amir just nodded again at the logic of Mai's words. Good. It had been facetious of him to mention hiding at all; even if directed to do so Amir doubted he would have or could have obeyed. He was a warrior and a hunter. Mai wouldn't take that from him. The best way to eliminate the threat would be to eliminate it before it could continue to be dangerous.

"You have my help, Elder," Amir said, "as always. Have you warned Subira yet?"

Amir respected his chain of command. He wasn't on the top of it and he knew it; he was a weapon to be wielded. He needed to be used or he grew irritable. It didn't mean he wasn't capable of commanding; he could and frequently did so. He wasn't at the bottom of the pecking order by any stretch of the imagination. But when his directives came from Mai and Subira, it couldn't hurt to sort out beforehand which orders took priority.

At any rate Mai hadn't actually told him to stop working with the wolves here in Nachton. He had spare time on his hands. He didn't play with wolves every day. Amir was more than capable of handling multiple tasks. The addition of another was only pleasing. Not stressful.

"What is it you need help with currently?"

((ooc: I have not yet begun to be overloaded! Pile it up, baby!))
Mai 13 years ago
Mai shook her head no.

"I have not spoken with Subira but Morrigan will be sending her and Gustav a message."

Sadly, she could only be in one place at a time. There were those here who needed her protection. Other members of the Hunt would be tasked with guarding those in other cities.

"The wolf children are a distraction." Mai frowned, figuring out the why of things was not her purpose in life. She would rather be given a target and let loose to hunt.

"We need to find out why those of the clan who keep them at bay are being hunted. Then we might better know the who. This person is our most dangerous enemy. Once that danger is gone then we can turn our gaze back to the wolves in the city."
Amir 13 years ago
Amir wondered what the message would be and a traitorous little vice in his head wondered if Subira would actually follow her instructions. His dark eyes remained fixed on Mai and he made no comment regarding the Nachton wolves. Surely Mai realized that for Amir to stop pressuring them would place him in even more danger? He had Xephier pinned under a blanket of Commands and if he let them go he didn't doubt the whole damn Pack would be on Heolfor's doorstep. Not to mention the fact that while playing with the one Pack he'd naturally pissed off the other.

If Mai's intent was to limit the danger to those ancients with Command, turning his eyes away from the weres was not going to do it. Yet if she believed this new threat was that much more important then it must be great.

"What do you want me to do," Amir said. Mai had indicated that he would be hunting, but she had yet to give him a scent. "What am I looking for?"

He was perfectly capable of handling both wolves and vampires. Amir kept that thought comfortably in mind as he continued to sit quietly next to Mai. He would do everything she asked of him but he couldn't ignore Subira's wishes. A small part of him wondered at that; a larger part of him didn't.
Mai 13 years ago
Mai had told him that he was in danger. She did not believe that he had truly heard; not well enough. It was now up to the Night.

"I wish you to be safe, Amir. Be aware. That is all."

She wished Thaddeus were here and at the same time Mai was glad that he was not. The Order of the Night were going to be put in dangerous places here soon. Her Ba-di was excellent at finding answers but that path led to peril for whoever was about to walk it.

"I do not know what we are to look for."

Mai smiled sadly at him. If he had expected more of the Elder of the Hunt then she was going to be a disappointment. Truth was still truth and it was better to accept it. Denial was willing blindness and Mai considered that a very shameful weakness.

She and Amir would need to be vigilante, not only for the sake of those with Command but for those who would seek to solve this mystery.

"The Order of the Night will need us. You, the most, ne?"

He would have the hard task of being bait and protector. Mai hoped Amir's confidence was a good sign of their likely success.
Amir 13 years ago
"Thank you, Elder. I will be as aware as I can."

Amir had hoped Mai knew something, anything, about this new danger but Mai wasn't infallible. If a warning was as good as he got, Amir could handle that. He was a fighter and he was used to constant danger. He'd been in it, more or less, since before he was turned.

"I'll do my best," he said, his expression somber. Amir took his job seriously. He lived for Anantya to the point of ostracizing even some of his own Clan members. If duty meant painting a bulls-eye on his back and running around Nachton attracting more than werewolves, he could do it. And if he died in the process of flushing out the danger, well, it was worth one life for the whole of the Clan.

And if Mai herself asked this of him, it hardly needed to be said that he would work himself into the ground to accomplish whatever further task she set.

His lips quirked up in his typical half-smile, tinged with irony.
"If 'safe' isn't in the works, then perhaps 'successful' will do," he suggested.
Mai 13 years ago
Mai smiled at him and made a small shrug of her shoulders; a gesture rarely seen from her.

"Warning is all I can offer...For now."

The smile became a feral grin. She understood Amir, he was truly a Huntsman like herself. If they must die then they should die fighting for the clan. Mai hoped to make sure that such a thing was not necessary. Amir was too young and it would be such a waste.

"I believe that you are almost always successful. Let us both hope that success will not come at so great a price."

Mai stood and gave him a more formal bow. It was something rarely seen from her to anyone save Morrigan.

"Ki o tsukete, Amir-san."

((OOC: Mai out pending response))
Amir 13 years ago
Amir felt his brows rise a little and bowed his head to acknowledge the compliment Mai paid him.

"It isn't so great a price compared to the welfare of the Clan," he said. "All the same, I will try to emerge with my skin intact since you wish it."

They both knew that that particular desire was hardly top on the list of things to worry about. Amir knew his place in the Clan and willingly embraced it. Standing as well, Amir returned Mai's bow with the ease of one who had spent a good deal of time doing so.

"Mata ne, Mai-sama," he replied.

He found his shoes and left Mai's rooms, softly padding his way back to his own while his mind worked over this latest development.

((ooc: Amir out))