Closing in for the Kill (open)

Aishe had waited a few months to pounce. She was a patient predator. She had silently stalked this unknowing prey, pursuing it to the ends of the earth...

...all right, she'd had to wait a little while until the sun began going down slightly earlier. Whatever. She was still a patient predator!

She couldn't remember who told her that there was an outdoors store here in Nachton now, but she'd been curious to go see what was inside. Sadly, the hours were bad for night-time shoppers, and she'd finally figured out why.

Apparently the store's owner was a yoga instructor in the little studio over the store as well. That, she found more interesting than the store itself. Aishe loved yoga but hadn't done a whole lot of it in a while. She had her basic routine and that kept her flexible when she practiced martial arts, but she knew there was a good deal more to the art and wanted to learn.

Joining a class seemed like the best way to go about it but several of the yoga studios here in Nachton had daylight and weekend hours. A few had night-time hours, true to the never-sleeping nature of the city, but this place had a reasonably close proximity to Meridian as well. She hadn't stopped by during a class session for fear of interrupting, so she'd waited until the days had begun to get shorter and she could simply ask the owner her questions before he closed his store and went upstairs.

Now she happily entered the store like any other shopper, feeling only the tiniest bit sad that most of the things in this store were things she'd probably never have an opportunity to use. A little bell on the inside of the door handle announced her presence.

Alex Aristos 13 years ago
Alex was sitting on the floor toward the front of the store, hip-deep in caribbeaners. He'd just gotten a huge shipment to fill a display rack with but the packaging had shifted somehow during transport and all of them had arrived jumbled up instead of neatly grouped together by shape, size, color, and material. It was a mess but the store was quiet. He was closing in half an hour and wanted to get it finished with before he left for class.

The ringing of the bell on the door had him leaning back glancing at the person who walked in. She was diminutive, curvaceous, and sort of cute. She wasn't dressed fashionably but looked rather more like the type of woman who'd actually use something she bought at a store like his, in tan cargo pants and a fitted dark green t-shirt that showed off a generous chest for her frame and a slim waist.

"Hi there, can I help you find something?"

Alex stood, shedding caribbeaners in a jangle of metal-on-metal that was much louder than he'd expected. He coughed, side-stepped carefully out of the treacherously slippery pile, and waited a moment for the woman to answer him. As surreptitiously as possible he shook his left foot until the caribbeaner stuck just on the inside of his shoe fell out with a telltale clatter.
Aishe 13 years ago
For a moment Aishe didn't see anyone although she heard a voice. Then she realized it had come from somewhat below her eye level, unusual when you were fairly small to begin with. She looked for the source of the greeting and found a smiling man about her age, maybe less, leaning back to peer at her from around a display. He had dark hair and dark eyes, a decidedly Mediterranean cast to his features, and olive skin made dark by the sun. He was smiling but not very widely; she immediately got the impression he didn't beam often.

She took a few steps further in as the man stood in a surprising cacophony of jangling metal. Aishe held a laugh back until she saw the last little caribbeaner fall, and then she chuckled softly.

"That's a lot of mess," she said, observing the enormous pile of metal clips and the empty display where they apparently belonged. "And I'm hoping you can help me, yes. Are you the one who gives lessons upstairs?"

Bending, Aishe gathered a few caribbeaners that had slid out into the aisle of the store and set them aside.
Alex nodded at the woman's question. "Yeah, that's me. Alexander Aristos." He held his hand out and the woman took it in a firm shake.

"Interested in joining a class?" Alex made his way around the pile of metal and over to the register. Behind the counter he had some copies of the class schedule and he pulled one of these out, handing it to the woman.

"Classes are pretty much limited to evenings and nights," he said, a little apologetically. A few of his potential clientele had been disappointed that he didn't have day classes but Alex had no way to both instruct and run his store at the same time. The current budget didn't allow for hired help. "I usually prefer it if everyone starts at the basic level, even if they have some experience. Gives me an idea how far to go with you."

Many people who professed to 'do yoga' really didn't. They either had a DVD, or a book, and they sat cross-legged, said 'om' a lot, and took big heaving breaths that were meant to be cleansing and refreshing but just looked painful. Having everyone start at the same point let him gauge who had the DVD and who had a little more knowledge.
Aishe 13 years ago
"Aishe Nevrat." Aishe shook Alexander's hand and followed him toward the register where she accepted a copy of a class schedule.

"No, nights and evenings are perfect," she said with a smile. "I work nights, so coming to class before I head in would be great."

It was easy for Aishe, at least, to see the reason for starting out in a beginner class. She hadn't expected anything else. She didn't know a lot about yoga. She'd been in a class before so she was pretty sure she had the breathing techniques down; they weren't so different from martial arts. But aside from knowing a handful of poses and how to get into them, she was a beginner herself.

"Oh I'm a beginner," she agreed cheerfully. "I joined a class a few years ago and since then I've done what I learned and nothing more. I always wanted to though."
Aishe, interesting name. But Nachton had people from everywhere, Alex was realizing, and Aishe was clearly not of European descent. Her skin was golden-dark, her hair thick and black. She looked middle eastern, slightly. Her eyes were an unusual shade of green. He wondered if she wore contacts, but he wasn't about to stare. Her smile was ready and might have been infectious to someone a little less straight-laced than Alex.

Better yet, she openly and cheerfully declared herself a beginner and that was the best kind of student to work with. It was far easier to train someone to do something for the first time than to have to work against someone else's training.

"The basic class is tomorrow evening at eight," Alex said. "First one's on me. If you like what you see and how you feel, then we can worry about payment."

That strategy typically worked well for him. He wasn't about to try to rope anyone into taking classes with him before they knew if they liked his teaching style, the 'feel' of the studio, the vibe from the other members. All of that factored into whether or not a client stayed. Alex didn't take it personally if someone didn't return; well, not too personally. On one level he tended to feel disappointed that he apparently hadn't offered what he should have. But on the other hand he'd also been in classes where he just didn't feel like he was on the same wavelength as everyone else. It happened.

Moving back around the counter, since Aishe hadn't expressed an interest in anything in the store, Alex made an observation about her employer.
"I've met a few folks from Meridian since opening up. It's a pretty big company here in the city, huh?"

Several of the people who'd signed up with him worked for Meridian, and Alex had already had a chance to marvel at the enormous towers that made up the company's home here in Nachton.
Aishe 13 years ago
"I'll be there," Aishe said. She didn't have to be at Meridian until ten, so she should have plenty of time for a class. She was already excited.

Alexander came back around the counter and Aishe suspected he was going to go back to re-organizing his caribbeaners, so she headed that way too.
"Oh yes," she answered him. "Meridian's huge. And it's so close by, I'm sure the convenience is attractive too."

It was kind of her fault the caribbeaners were on the floor; at least she though so. They'd made quite the crash when she'd come in. Her natural inclination was to help put them where they belonged, not just walk out and leave Alexander with a mess, so she knelt when he did and began to sort them out.
"Great," Alex's smile wasn't forced at all this time. He did like having new students and he was pleasantly surprised at how many seemed to be interested in what he had to offer. He'd expected to make a little bit on the side with his classes but so far the income from his instruction was double what he'd projected. It still wasn't a lot; no one paid a great deal of money for either yoga or tai chi nowadays, but as they both grew in popularity at least most instructors weren't expected to give classes for free.

When Aishe accompanied him to his pile of 'beaners and knelt to help he was surprised.
"Oh you don't have to do that," he said, holding a hand out to forestall her, but she had dived in already. So he just said, "Thanks," and indicated where to put each different type of clamp as she gathered them into like piles.
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe accepted Alexander's thanks, since she had pretty much intended to keep sorting out caribbeaners anyway, and dutifully put each type where he indicated. He obviously ran his shop alone, and it was quiet in the store. She glanced at her watch; he closed in fifteen minutes. They should be able to get this done by then, and she would feel better about having contributed to the minor disaster.

Alexander worked quietly, apparently not given to a great deal of talk but Aishe didn't share that trait. So, typical of her, she endeavored to engage him as they sorted.

"Have you been in Nachton long?"

It was a perfect open-ended question.
Alexander glanced at Aishe as they figured out his typhoon of metal and quickly got it contained into several piles. Her question seemed innocent enough and he chided himself for the knee-jerk reaction that expected criticism.

"A few months now, yeah."
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe waited for Alexander to elaborate but he didn't. Empathy being what it was, she watched the shapes flowing around him form themselves into little angles of shifting colors. There was a lot of red, a little yellow, and plenty of blue, a color Aishe didn't always see in abundance. What was interesting to her was that is was all overlaid with two colors, a dark brownish and a gray. Gray she saw everywhere. All over. It was the color of guardedness. Everyone had secrets. Everyone had things to hide. But the other, the brownish hue, she'd come to relate to insecurity. She wondered why that was so but Aishe had also learned not to pry. Answers usually came in time.

The more pressing matter was Alexander's short answer to her question. Having determined in her own way that it didn't seem to be her presence he objected to, she remained where she was, continued helping, and blithely carried on her conversation as if he'd given her his life story.

"Oh, hardly long. And you must have been busy getting your store set up. Why'd you choose Nachton?"
Alexander gave a short laugh. "True," he said. A few months really wasn't long at all, and she was absolutely correct in her observation. He hadn't gotten out really. Just the one time to the museum.

Her next question was, again, innocent, but then she couldn't know the reason he'd come here.
"Just wanted to get away for a while," he said.

After a moment he relented and shook his head.
"My family and I aren't very close," he explained shortly. "I needed a little distance."

It was as vague as he could get without being rude, and he didn't want to be rude. Not only was Aishe a prospective client but she seemed genuinely nice.
Aishe 13 years ago
"Oh," Aishe said with understanding, starting to add up little facts and observations, as was her usual way.

"My folks always wanted me to be perfect," she said with a smile. "I had to have dance lessons and etiquette lessons... who takes etiquette anyway? And dancing, which I hate. And dresses. All the dresses." She gestured at her comfortable cargoes. "I'm not a dress kind of girl."

She shrugged. "It was nice to get out on my own. They've realized I'm an adult now, which is nice."

She saw how Alexander was organizing the caribbeaners on the rack and began to fill in the spaces she could see needed stocking.

"Do you like it here so far?"
Aishe's openness surprised Alexander. he had the grace to smile and laugh obligingly when she gave a minor rant about dresses. Her clothing looked comfortable and fit her well, and she did seem suited to it. he could tell by looking at her that she was in great shape; her body wasn't curvy in the manner of someone who led a soft life. It was more that she might have tended to be plump but kept busy enough so that she was balanced instead.

"I think my folks are a little slow in getting there but they might make it," he conceded a little waspishly. He was being uncharitable. They'd been a huge help in starting his business up. He'd had the money for the building on his own but their support had let him start out a lot more comfortably than he'd intended.

"I do, actually," he answered the next question. "I've only met a few folks, present company included," he inclined his head at Aishe, "but so far everyone's been cool. And I've gotten a lot more business than I thought I would."

They actually finished hanging the caribbeaners on their hooks and Alex stood, offering Aishe a hand up. The clock read just after eight. Not a bad amount of work in a short period of time. Alex picked up the empty cardboard box the clips had come in and tossed it over the back of the counter to recycle later.
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe noted Alexander's tone but didn't think it was directed toward her. There seemed to be some bad ground between him and his family. Again she added up the few observations she'd made during their short acquaintance, and she thought she understood what was unsaid.

Taking Alexander's hand she rose and dusted off the knees of her pants. She flashed her ready smile at him and said,
"Well, do you have a business card or a flyer or something? I'll take it into work with me tonight and spread the word."

She liked her new yoga instructor. Because he was going to be her new yoga instructor. Aishe liked what she saw in him, not just from their brief chat but the colors she had seen in his aura. She trusted her eyes.
"Oh, yeah?" Alexander dug behind the counter for the new little cards he had that listed both the store address and his credentials as an instructor. He handed a few of them to Aishe. "I appreciate it."

What shop owner didn't like free advertising? Especially at a big company like Meridian? It was good of Aishe to offer when she hadn't even had a class with him yet. Locking the register didn't take but a moment; closing the books could wait until later. Alex had a class to get upstairs to.

He walked with Aishe to the door of the store and punched in the alarm code, opening the door to let her through.
"Thanks for your help tonight," he said with a smile. "I'll see you tomorrow night?"
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe tucked Alexander's cards into her purse and left through the door while he turned out the lights. "Any time," she said.

He smiled and she noted the difference. This one was warmer than before, the expression reaching his brown eyes, which crinkled a little at the corners. He was a decent-looking guy to begin with, but that smile seemed to turn something on inside of him that lit him up and made him go from decent to possibly illegal.

An interesting person, at any rate. Aishe returned the smile easily.
"I'll be here," she promised, looking forward to it.

She said farewell and went along her way to Meridian while Alexander's feet beat a light pattern up the stairs of the building to the studio above the store.

((ooc: both out))