Redecorating for Dummies

No, this was bad. This was -really- bad and it was frustrating the hell out of Pak. She was just about ready to give up and move to that place on the other side of the hall. But that wouldn't help, not really she'd still have to look at fabric swatches and paint chips and deal with decorators of varying levels of flamboyance.

Irritated Pak hurled a sketch across the room and stormed into the kitchen, looking for her lighter or her emergency back up lighter or a drink. She wasn't sure which. She'd meant it though, when she'd told Kem the place looked... well she was tired of it, at least she thought she was. Truthfully, she was probably just irritated and edgy in general and it would blow over in a bit.

Stomping back from the kitchen she threw herself onto the sofa and just lay there. Her eye landed on one of the framed reproduction of the picture of her children. It made her smile. It was doing that more and more, the guilt was still there, but not as pronounced.

Mara 13 years ago
Mara hadn't ever intended to climb a fire escape in this manner but there was a first time for everything. It had been an interesting few nights; she hadn't seen Amir since their meeting at Shades' and yet he'd been constantly on her mind. To relieve the stress she'd thrown herself back into 'work,' which meant a visit to Pak. And Mara owed Pak a gift, too, which she carried delicately in her jaws as she padded up the fire escape.

It hadn't been easy to obtain. Barring illegal methods (she couldn't countenance giving Pak a gift that hadn't been honestly purchased), Mara had done a lot of looking for this little present. It was with the utmost care that she protectively bore her package up to the thirty-first floor.

Once at Pak's window she ran into a dilemma; she couldn't put her gift down. So she placed her front paws on the window and repeatedly patted against it; kitty-vampire strength was enough to rattle the window in its frame a bit. Mara waited for Pak to come let her in.
Pakpao 13 years ago
What the hell? It was raining? That was Pak's first thought when she heard the window rattling. It sounded like hail at that. If it was raining, she wasn't going to work. Not that that logic made -any- sense, she didn't have to go outside at all to go to work.

Wait... it was too hot out to be hail. Her brain finally caught up with the sound and Pak smiled. Only one person came up the fire escape to see her and Pak found herself pleased with the idea of a visit from Kem's daughter. They really should go out some day rather than forcing Mara to climb up the fire escape, but it seemed... well Pak didn't think either of them was ready to be seen in public with the other. Oh well.

After quickly darting into her bed room to find something for Mara to put on after shifting Pak threw open the window and ushered in the cat... cats?

"How many Anantya am I letting in here? Are we forming a secret society?"Â?

She trusted Mara though and only tossed the cloths down and waited for her ... was Mara a friend? waited for Mara to change back.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara gratefully hopped into the room, unable to hide a purr of amusement at Pak's words. She carefully dropped the tiny brown kitten at Pak's feet before padding around behind the other woman to shift and slide into the oversized Microsoft t-shirt that was required. It was enormous and hung on Mara like a dress but it didn't bother her; it was for Pak's sensibilities that she wore it at all.

"Just the one Anantya," she said with a smile, bending down and retrieving the little kitten from the floor.

Holding him up, Mara nuzzled her nose against his little wet one. She turned and spotted the litter box Pak hadn't yet moved and put the kitten in it. He obligingly dug for a moment before making a tiny puddle which he buried fastidiously. Mara rubbed his head with her forefinger.

"Good boy," she crooned softly. Picking him up once again she cradled him in her small hands for a moment before handing him to Pak.

"He's for you."
Pakpao 13 years ago
'Who, huh, what?' sounded considerably more articulate in Siamese, but the sentiment was the same. Pak just stood there and watched Mara and the kitten and shook her head.

After a second's hesitation, she cautiously took the warm little ball of brown fluff. He yawned at her, apparently, the trip had taken a lot out of him, and she couldn't help but smile again. Finally, she gently pet the kitten.

"He's a guard dog."Â?

Well he was a cat, but Pak some how suspected Mara had picked a dark brown cat deliberately. In Siam brown cats were believed to ward off evil spirit, they'd protect the temples. Whether Mara knew or not, the idea tickled Pak. It sort of made her feel all warm and fuzzy.

"Thank you. I mean you didn't have to but it means a lot."Â?

She set the kitten down just long enough to extend a very formal bow to the elder vampire and then sank down on to the sofa gesturing that Mara should do the same.

"I've never had a pet, other than the fish."Â?
Mara 13 years ago
Mara smiled at Pak and the kitten. He seemed to trust her immediately, which was why she had picked this kitten out of the whole litter.

"Attack cat," she corrected with a little laugh. "It only seemed fair, after all, you bought all of this for me."

Not that Mara hadn't appreciated the gesture at the time. Pak's willingness to immediately accept a stray into her home had been sweet. This kitten, however, was no stray.

"His papers were mailed to you," she said. "They should arrive soon."

Normally a kitten wouldn't have papers, but Mara had had to search for this little one and the only way to obtain him had been to go through one of the few breeders in North America.

At Pak's words she eyed the fishbowl a little hungrily.
"They might not be safe," she suggested.
Pakpao 13 years ago
"Bah... I should have put it away or returned it or something."Â?

But, the idea of having a cat had some appeal. Pak just hadn't gotten around to actually doing anything about it.

Papers? OK so this wasn't a tiny stray with a happy coincidence of coloring. Pak made a mental note to Google the little fella later.

Suddenly very aware that her fish was vulnerable she frowned.

"I might move him down to my office to be with his cousin and I can get you a snack if you need."Â?

Grateful or not, no one ate Pak's fish. The bright red beta fish was a good companion, not very cuddly, but he did seem to understand her.

"Does he have a name?"Â?
Mara 13 years ago
Mara, seeing that Pak actually meant her invitation to sit and stay, sat on one of Pak's armchairs after smoothing her shirt-dress out beneath her.

"But you didn't return it, and it seemed a shame not to use it," she pointed out. "I think you will get along well."

She shooked her head at Pak's next question. "It didn't seem right to rob you of the pleasure of naming your own real cat," she said with a hint of mischief. "Since your previous attempt didn't take."

Mara watched as the kitten seemed to curl into Pak's hands and settle for a nap. Obviously Pak was in a social mood, so she rested her hands in her lap and resolved to stay. Mara didn't make friends easily, but she liked Pak and there was the added value of having a link, however indirect, to her father. She hoped that someday she could tell him she was here but for now this was the closest she could get, and this woman was important to him. That made Pak important to Mara too.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Absently Pak shifted the kitten from her hands to her lap. She watched him fascinated as he fell asleep. Catching herself, she grinned sheepishly at Mara.

"Shall we name him after you? Call him PÄ•e?"�

It was what Pak had called Mara when she was still just a friendly stray rather than a vampire.

"Although that isn't quite appropriate is it?"Â?

He was to protect her from ghosts and evil spirits. Pak thought hard and finally gave up.

"Maybe I'll think on it. Suggestions are welcome."Â?

With the kitten warm and dozing in her lap, Pak felt a little less alone and more secure. Her children were enthralled with the kitten and she listened to them chattering at the cat.

"I haven't seen you in a while. Keeping my ... er... you know out of trouble?"Â?

Pak still couldn't bring herself to call Bao her father or her maker but she was at least acknowledging the relationship. Heck she even liked Bao there was just some lingering akwardness as to exactly what they were to each other.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara gave a soft giggle. "No, that was my name and even if it didn't really stick I think I'll save it for an emergency. I'll think about it though. Maybe I can come up with an acceptable alternative."

At least that way if Mara ever needed to get Pak's attention in her cat shape, she could do so under the guise of the stray Pak had named and they would both understand the name.

"Your creator is well," she said. "He has been a little busy with work but I'll be seeing him soon."

Having held back for as long as she could, Mara failed to keep her heart from her eyes as she asked,
"How is my father? And his wife? Aishe?"

It only seemed natural to refer to them as a wedded couple; Mara knew her father well enough for that. Once he had chosen a woman, he wouldn't treat that obligation lightly. It hadn't been in his nature as a human and she was sure that trait had only gotten more ingrained over the years. Certificate or not Mara accepted with pleasure the fact that her father had a lover.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak snorted. She'd say that is where she got her workaholic mentality from, but she knew better. It came from the farm. You worked until you couldn't see any more and even then, you worked at whatever little tasks could be done by fire or candle or lantern light.

"Getting together for a dinner party?"Â?

She hadn't realized that Mara and Bao had a social relationship.

It took a second to weigh her answers here. Pak didn't want to hold back from Mara, but she had to look out for Reign's privacy too and she was rather proprietary about Evenhet's werewolf information.

"Both doing good. I did throw a shoe at Kem's head the other day though, it's OK it was appropriate and he caught it anyway so no harm or anything."Â?

For as strange as it had started out, with Pak finding out Reign had registered as a familiar to Kem of all people, it had been a good night. She knew that she was needed and valued and loved. Things Pak didn't take lightly. But she couldn't think of a way to tell Mara that.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara raised her eyebrows and shook her head at Pak, still not entirely used to her sarcastic nature.

"No, hardly. We do work together on occasion though, obviously, since we have our creator in common."

She blinked at Pak's vague yet colorful response to her question about her father. It wasn't as much as she'd wanted but it was something. Pak was her only real tie to him right now and she soaked in everything the younger vampire said with eagerness. She smiled softly. She might not entirely understand Pak's sense of humor but her body language confirmed that everyone was, indeed, all right.

"You threw a shoe at him?"

She had to ask.
Pakpao 13 years ago
For a second Pak almost encouraged Mara to get together with Bao in a lighter more social vein. But, she didn't. It was an interesting thought though.

Pak still wasn't entirely used to the idea of an organized and deliberate turning. So, while for Mara, working together with a 'sibling' was natural, to Pak it was completely alien. Pak knew that Bao had other off spring, he'd said so. They hadn't gone into detail or named names, but she knew she had brothers.

"I think I might like to meet his other... ummm... choices."Â?

Some how Pak didn't think they'd have much in common, but she did wonder. And since they would be part of two different clans, she wouldn't be working together very often. Still, she found herself curious. She'd have to ask.

In a much better mood than she had been that night Pak nodded cheerfully at Mara.

"Yeah. He took a familiar and didn't tell me and its hard to explain it really, but that upset me and I threw a shoe. Not one of my good ones mind, he's been known to destroy those."Â?

At least it hadn't been a frying pan. Although, Kem was adept at catching those too. Hmmmm, now that she thought about it, their relationship seemed to involve a lot of her hurling objects, heavy and otherwise at Kem. He was a very understanding man her brother.
Mara 13 years ago
"I think you would like them," Mara said, but she didn't offer up any more information about Bao's children. That was discussion material for Pak and Bao, and Mara wasn't going to steal Bao's spotlight. She had always found Bao's vampires to be dutiful, loyal, and friendly to their Clanmates.

"I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you about them," Mara concluded. "In spite of your experiences, Amir taught Bao to create vampires properly."

If there was slightly more enthusiasm in her voice when she spoke of Amir, she couldn't help it. Mara had always adored her creator and the remembrance of his lips on hers did nothing to diminish that feeling; if anything it amplified it. Her cheeks flushed slightly at the memory of pleasant heat and she moved on past that topic.

"A familiar," she mused. "My father? And she isn't... you know?"

Mara knew why her father had never taken another familiar, but if this new one had worked it must be because he was in a much better situation than he'd ever been before. Interesting, Mara thought, that the bond could alter depending on what was happening around them. She had never had a familiar herself, not once in all of her long years. She had Amir and her father. There was no more room in her heart for additional emotional burden, which she feared a familiar would create.
Pakpao 13 years ago
"I think I'll take it up with him."Â?

Pak said with a grin. After taking Bao on about her children, this should be much easier. Besides, Pak was starting to feel more comfortable with her maker. It wasn't perfect, she didn't quite trust him, but they were making progress.

It was hard not to notice the way Mara perked up when speaking about Amir. Pak had mixed feelings on the man. On the one hand she kind of liked him. They got along and he was almost a friend, probably more a good acquaintance than friend but he seemed OK to her. And of course Mara was fond of him and had told Pak he was good to her. It was hard though, too remember any of that when she thought of Kem.

Pak shook her head, determined not to think about it. Instead she absently stroked the little cat as he stretched and twitched an ear in his sleep.

"Strong and stable."Â?

Pak reassured her friend.

"It surprised me too but its been working out. She and Aishe get on same as she and Kem. I don't think any one can complain."Â?
Mara 13 years ago
Mara nodded at Pak, indicating her satisfaction on every level. She was sure Pak would discuss what she wanted to with Bao; the two of them seemed to be doing fine with minimal intervention from Mara, who hadn't really been needed aside from setting up their first couple of meetings and chaperoning from a distance.

The idea that her father was slowly growing his own support group of close friends made her happy. He'd spent too long alone. She couldn't help wishing she could belong but the time wasn't right. Mara wouldn't disturb the peace he finally had and turn it all upside down, not for anything. Not yet.

"What about you, Pak?" she asked softly, watching Pak gently petting the sable brown kitten. "Why don't you have a familiar? A lover?"

The question was blunt and personal, but her voice was soft and inquisitive, not accusatory in any way. Mara asked clearly for the sake of curiosity. Mara herself had neither of those things. She wondered if Pak felt the same way as she did, or if there were other reasons for her.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak just looked at Mara, dumbfounded. No one had ever asked her that. Some people, very few, might have hinted at it from time to time but they'd let her side step it. Mara's steady pale eyes, so much like Kem's, just waited. Pak suspected that Mara would let her avoid the question, but Pak wasn't sure she wanted to. Heck she'd not really thought about it, not for years, it just was.

"I don't know. It's complicated."Â?

It had been years since she'd thought about him and she never spoke of him. But, Pak had been in love, once. A human, in Paris. It hadn't ended well, or maybe it had opinions varied.

Between that and her years of prostitution relationships weren't the easiest thing for Pak. Sure she could fake it and fake it well, but people she actually trusted were few and far between. A few years ago there had been a tentative start to a relationship, maybe a romance but it hadn't held up or even really taken off.

"By our rules I'm only just barley able to take a familiar and there really isn't a need. And... well no one has offered to fill the other roll in a while."Â?

She said with a wry grin.
Mara 13 years ago
"Hmm," Mara agreed. "It is complicated." Her lips twitched upward and she sighed softly in agreement.

She tilted her head as Pak explained about a familiar.
"I've never had one either. I never had room for one. Or the need."

Amir had, over the years, and his familiars had always been accessible to Mara. If she had ever been in need they had offered. She pondered that for a moment or two. Had there ever been a second in her long life that she hadn't been watched over and cared for?

"I can hardly believe the rest though," she said. "Maybe you should get out more."

Even Mara had had her fair share of offers from the opposite sex, and she was a hermit by any standards. "You know Amir likes you. That says something."

It did to Mara, anyway. From what she could tell Amir enjoyed Pak's company. She knew he had feigned romantic interest in her but Mara suspected that, in a different situation, that interest might not really be feigned.
Pakpao 13 years ago
"Well you can hardly put them in the closet."Â?

Honestly it was a huge responsibility and Pak wasn't quite ready to make the commitment. Maybe if the cat went well she'd think about it, but only if she needed. So far her daylight needs were taken care of well enough, there were enough ways around going out during the day and when they didn't work, folks on her team could generally help her out. And all without her having to explain she was a vampire.

Pak half snorted and half laughed at that idea.

"He wasn't interested. Not really. What does it say that he likes me?."Â?

She could ready people well enough to know that Amir hadn't been at all into her, not that way. She hadn't minded. She also wouldn't mind seeing him again, although it was odd. But that was for a different conversation. And, as near as she could tell a lot of people liked her. Pak could say, without bragging, that more often than not she was amusing company.

"Oh don't get me wrong there have been offers but..."Â?

Pak trailed off, not sure if she'd explained to Mara about her early years.

"I'm not good at one night stands. I need trust... and...well it's complicate."Â?
Mara 13 years ago
Mara chuckled at the idea of keeping a familiar conveniently in the closet. "Hardly."

She shook her head to rebut Pak's statement.
"If the circumstances were different, he would be."

It didn't bother her to discuss Amir's preferences in those terms. Not even in light of his kiss. It wasn't that she thought he'd kissed her lightly or frivolously; hardly that. It was more that Mara understood how much was between them, how much was in the way of what might be or what could happen. She wanted it, had always wanted it, but she found it was easier not to expect that which had never been yours, then to hope for what you may never have.

She answered Pak's next question thoughtfully. Of course, Amir was almost her favorite topic in the world. Possibly a tie for her favorite topic. She knew him very well, so she tried to explain what she'd meant to Pak in the clearest terms.

"It says something about you as a person. Amir doesn't keep many friends. He devotes himself to his work and only makes time for people he cares about."

She pointed her finger at Pak. "He has made time for you recently, and not just because Bao asked him to. He actually enjoys your company. I don't know that he would admit that though."

He would have, centuries ago.

Pak's reprisal of the "complicated" thing told Mara they might not go into detail. Mara thought she understood though. She had told Pak something of her own youth, which was far from pleasant.

She nodded though, understanding the need for trust.
"I know how you feel," she said, and meant it.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak cocked her head at that idea. He was sort of cute as well, and clever and fun to talk to. She had to really consider if she would be interested as well.

"A bit too incestuous for him? But you know, I might too."Â?

It was something of a shock to realize that, but Pak wasn't dead (well she was) just cautious. She was also a bit leery of being told Amir enjoyed her company, at the back of Pak's mind she was sure it had something to do with Kem. But to that end, it paid her to keep an eye on him as well. Besides, he didn't seem all-bad.

Again she wondered what Amir's work was, but Mara had side stepped the question before so she didn't bother.

"You're very fond of him aren't you?"Â?

It really want hard to pick up on. Mara always seemed to brighten when she spoke of Amir, although she also was more or less honest about him too.

"Some day it will be right again. Probably for you too."Â?