It glittered and it gleamed
For the arriving beauty queen
A ring and a car
Now you're the prettiest by far
No party she'd not attend
No invitation she wouldn't send
Transfixed by the inner sound
Of your promise to be found

Vivienne stood in front of her fireplace holding the framed 5x7 picture of the Den out in Canberra, Australia. She couldn't remember when it was taken, but it was something she brought with her everywhere; a reminder of her life, looking in from the outside.

Grimacing, she thought it was odd that she would consider the Nachton Den more of a home than the Canberra compound. She had lived near there all her werewolf life. The picture was taken from the edge of the path that led to the Den from the dense forest that surrounded it. The Den wasn't home, per say, but home base. In the almost sixty years of being a werewolf, she had never lived in the Den, just beyond it on the pack property, sometimes with her father, more often alone.

Glancing up, Viv looked out the window that faced out to the forest line. The window was open, like every single night since she had taken up with Brig, but she briefly considered closing it since the odds of him appearing seemed slim.

The Alpha's reaction to what had happened out in the Tikerak that afternoon wasn't as bad as she thought it would be. Classic knee-jerk reaction would be to kick her off the property and back to Australia, but he was a level minded leader, Viv noted. Instead he admonished all of them over their high school fight and were all sent to their rooms.

Hammer coming to her rescue had surprised her, his shadow literally blocking out the sun above her; the ground trembling from his weight as he blocked Domingo from attacking her from behind. The whole thing had been a confusing array of sights, smells, and a startling revelation. Hammer and Brig would have to work out exactly why their ability to control the Pipers had waned. Their private war was now interfering with their ability to lead, which was exactly why she was there - granted it took Vivienne's VR background to bring it to light.

Brig had stayed with her, protecting her from the other Pipers, and for that she would always love him. The LT was more hurt that hadn't been included in the secret. It burned her to keep yet another secret from the man, but Brig and Vivienne now had no choice but to keep their relationship quiet.

Then there was Charlie. His grief stricken face out on the Tikerak felt like a knife to her gut. Vivienne didn't want to think about that, not just then.

Putting her picture back on the mantle, the soft knocking at her door surprised her. The sun was down and she would have expected Brig to come in the window right about then, but could that be him...at her door?

'Yup,' she called out and gathered her long hair, twisting it around and pulling it over her right shoulder. Her outfit was comfortable: worn blue jeans and a simple white short-sleeve with an angry red crayon on the front. Circling the couch, Viv walked to the door and opened it.

Brig was standing in her doorway, hands laced in front of him, dressed now in his uniform. Lifting his chin, he raised his eyebrows and kept his face clear of anything but business.

'Commander?' she said understanding his demeanor as well as his method of gaining entry into her apartment. 'What can I do you for?'

He took a deep breath and cleared his throat. 'The Pipers wanted to talk to you.'

Vivienne's eyebrows went up in surprise. 'All right.' She pointed down to the floor. 'Meet you down in the Situation room?'

'No, actually.'

'No?'

'Right now.' Brig lifted his hand and pushed gently on the door, stepping into the room. 'If that's all right?'

Brig moved further into the room as Vivienne stepped back with the door, opening it wider, and one by one, the Pipers filed into her living room. Dougie, Marko, Red, Domingo, Marthinus, and Lewis walked slowly into her apartment, neither of them, save for Marthinus made eye contact with her. Vivienne looked over at Brig as LT and finally Charlie came in last.

'Ma'am,' LT said politely and touched the door, closing it quietly behind him and Charlie.

Brig Jameson 13 years ago
Brig did not want to do it this way, but the Pipers, all of them, had come to his room and asked him to take them all to Vivienne to speak to her. They said it was important and it could not wait.

All eight of them followed him quietly to her apartment after he had dressed back in his uniform, despite the lateness of the evening. They had all come in their uniforms, so it was best to show a united front, even though he knew that wasn't the case. Both he and Hammer could not control the Pipers in their attack on Vivienne and that said more to Brig than anything. His fight with Hammer now affected their ability to work as a single unit and that simply would not do.

As the Pipers filed in, Brig watched as LT politely acknowledged Vivienne and closed the door. Vivienne gave him a curious look to which he replied with a silent shrug. This was all them.
The Pipers 13 years ago
Vivienne looked shocked and maybe even a little scared. They all exchanged glances with one another as they stood side by side in her living room. The LT and Sergeant joined them along the wall leading into her bedroom, the couch in the middle of the room with Vivienne on one side and the Commander on the other, leaning up against the fireplace mantle.

Red had elected to speak first, explaining their presence, but more importantly, hoping to get an explanation as to what had transpired earlier.

'Ma'am?' Red said taking a step forward. Vivienne's brown eyes swiveled from the Commander to him. 'We wanted...rather; we hoped you could answer some questions.'

Vivienne lifted her hands up, agreeing silently.

'You've been here with us going on two months now. You've shadowed us, interviewed some of us, and played with us. We've enjoyed your company as not only a woman, but also as a sister.'

Vivienne lowered her eyes, her face void of any expression.

'We just want to know...' Red said, pausing for a moment to search for the proper words, but it was Charlie who put it as clear as crystal.

'Who the hell are you?' Charlie looked at her now, his blue eyes cold and his voice tight with anger. The other Pipers nodded some openly agreeing with his sentiment. 'You say Elder Hammerthynn sent you. He sent you to evaluate us. You're not even from our pack.'

'Charlie,' Vivienne started.

Charlie shook his head, becoming angrier with every word. He felt the sneer wrinkle his nose, igniting the ire in him. The Kadzait and Vyusher R'asa were brothers only because they shared the same gift, not because they were anything alike. The VR's were nomads, war-like, and just general thugs. The Kadzaits did their best to rise above their animal nature and accepted a truce with their VR brothers only out of necessity, but never once had a Vyusher R'asa been on Kadzait property, not without causing an incident. But now not only was one on the property, but...

'You're Vyusher R'asa, here...on our property...pretending to be something you are most definitely not.' Charlie stepped forward, balling his hands up, his voice getting louder. 'You...lied. To all of us.' Charlie turned and looked at the Commander. 'And you let her.'

'Sergeant,' LT said in a firm voice. Charlie turned his head and looked at LT. 'That's enough.'

Quietly, he stepped back, but without turning his back on Vivienne, and fell in line.
Lothias LT Jameson 13 years ago
The room was quiet enough to hear a pin drop. The air was thick with tension and LT fully expected Vivienne to start crying, but curiously enough, she stood stoically with little to no expression on her face. Compassion was in her voice when she said Charlie's name, but she didn't stop him or Red from speaking and offered no explanation.

'Ma'am,' he said getting Vivienne's attention. Her brown eyes flicked to his blue ones. 'The Commander and Beta have notified us of what the Alpha has declared - that you're officially part of our pack. It's something we're going to have to deal with, in time. But right now, we just want to know how you met the Elder Hammerthynn.'

Vigo Hammerthynn was not a loving, nurturing man. By definition, a Hammerthynn was as unfeeling as a thousand old oak tree and spoke as often as one. Hammerthynns were bred for their duty, to protect the pack and serve the Alpha, not to care for Vyusher R'asa females. Wives were chosen for a purpose, providing sons and support for their husbands. There would be no reason why Vigo would take an interest in someone outside the family, much less someone outside the pack.

Shrugging, LT prodded her for an answer. 'We just want to know.'
Vivienne Sena 13 years ago
Nodding, Vivienne spoke in a monotone voice and looked at each Piper, one at a time, in the eye. She could count on one hand how many times she had told this story, but as she prepared to tell it again, Viv found it strange that it conjured up no real feelings.

'I was ten when my family, my VR family, was destroyed. There were sixteen of us. All gone, except for me.'

'By who,' Red asked quietly.

Vivienne looked at Red and then made eye contact with all eight Pipers. In a clear, emotionless voice, she told them. 'By Vigo and his Pipers.'

All the Pipers looked at their Commander who nodded but remained quiet.

'Two of my older teenage male cousins raped and killed two Kadzait females in northern Algeria in 1954. I won't make excuses for what they did or what happened to them. It was what it was - a blood retribution brought down by Vigo Hammerthynn and his brothers.'

Lewis looked at the Commander and asked, 'Were you there, sir?'

'No,' Brig answered simply. 'But the Beta was.'

The men looked at each other, no doubt realizing why Vivienne reacted the way she did to Hammer in wolf form. Vivienne pressed on, tired of telling the story already.

'I was gifted the same night Vigo found us. He found me where my mother had hidden me, up in the rafters of the old barn we were taking shelter in. He found me and spared me. Raised me as his daughter outside the pack.'

The Pipers expressions were varied - confused, shocked...saddened. One thing Vigo taught her that she always appreciated was the ability to detach her from emotional reactions. Fear, as well as sadness, could overwhelm you, cloud your judgment, and make you useless. Her own story no more shocked her than reading the newspaper. It was...what it was.

'I never went back to the Vyusher R'asa. Never considered myself one, despite what my markings say I am. My word is my bond, gentlemen. I don't expect you to understand or empathize. I can do my job. The question is, can you?'

'Of course we can,' Red said in an insulted tone. 'We proved that much today.'

'Really. You think so.' Vivienne said almost wistfully.

'Our reaction time was a personal best for us and we acted as one unit. Our Commander's flanks were protected and we had you,' Red finished.

'Oh I know; you had me, dead to rights. And you ignored every single command that Piper leadership gave you. The LT. Your Commander. And your Beta.'
The men were stunned into silence.

LT looked at his men and he agreed silently. Vivienne looked at Brig who had his elbow propped up on the mantle, his chin resting in his hand with his long fingers curled against his lips. He blinked slowly and nodded.

Brig chose not to say anything else. This wasn't his fight with her; Brig would have to fix things with his Pipers on his own, but they needed to work out their issues with what they had seen that day. Viv was quiet for the most part, very automatic with her story. His heart went out to her, even though she didn't appear to need or want anyone's sympathy. Maybe that was the sad part.

Brig continued to watch silently as Vivienne finished her story.
A successful speech consists of many things: clear and concise points, appropriate body language, knowing your audience. There was one thing Viv had trouble with when nervous, which she very much was, even if it wasn't noticeable. It was knowing when to stop.

'That's between Command leadership and you guys. Like I said in the beginning, I'm only here to observe and help, if needed.'

Viv paused, looking at all of them. The day had started off with a camaraderie she had never felt; the Pipers always began their day with a long, fast run, and then followed it up with their various duties either out in the city or on the property. Watching them work cohesively and as a unit made her smile and made the day go by faster with Brig in her bed as a wrap up for the day. Definitely, her days at the Den were good ones, better than she had ever had.

Looking at them now, part of her knew it would never be the same and it hurt her more than she could describe. Still, she tried.

'I may be critical of your situation now, but that's only because, in the short time I've been here,' Viv paused, looking down at her hands. Grimacing, she finished, 'Without sounding stupidly emotional...you Pipers...you have something so profoundly special and unique. Of course I neglected to mention my differences. I've lived my life watching the families from the outside and...well...being envious of them, not bitter. I...'

Vivienne looked up to see Marko, the biggest Piper, push through the others and walk with determination toward the door. Her heart sank as she realized that the little bit of herself she put out there, achingly vulnerable for everyone to see, was going to be ignored. She stammered and looked back down as Marko approached the door.
The Pipers 13 years ago
Marko stood quietly in back of the other Pipers looking around her living room as Vivienne spoke. He was listening intently, but taking in his surroundings as well. The guest apartments were smaller, but its physical dimensions meant very little to him. He was looking at the personal things Vivienne had around the room.

Her coffee table had various books on it, worn from obvious and frequent wear and tear. The couch looked soft and used with a cardigan thrown over the back. The kitchen table beyond had fresh flowers, more magazines, a single dinner plate, and other personal trappings. Turning behind him, he peeked through her bedroom door and saw DVDs on the dresser in front of the bed, next to the TV centered on it; her bed was slept in, her things thrown haphazardly on the bed. Marko turned back, listening to her description of them and heard no emotion in her voice and was void of any type of expression.

His eyes strayed over to the Commander who was standing next to her mantle, focusing intently on a picture frame, the only picture frame in the room or as far as Marko could see. From his spot behind the Pipers, he could still see the focus of the picture. Instantly he recognized the Den in Canberra - a point of view from the trees looking at the building, not out of it. This struck Marko as odd, until he considered Vivienne's words and the single picture.

It would appear to Marko that Vivienne had settled in pack life in Nachton, and was a bit of a slob, but she tried making the place her own. The inflection of her voice now was slow but steady even as she reflected on something that meant a great deal to her. Her unemotional speech reminded Marko of a Hammerthynn.

With his thought process finished, Marko stepped forward past his Piper brothers and approached Vivienne, cutting her off mid sentence and did something he thought needed doing. Reaching out, he scooped the small woman in his arms and bear hugged her, enough to startle her but not hurt her and he heard the hitched gasp come out of her as he held her, wordlessly.
It finally dawned on Brig why Vivienne had the picture of the Canberra Den. Why it was the only picture he had ever seen in Vivienne's apartment. Looking at it now, he considered the point of view; it was from the forest looking at the structure of the Den.

From the outside looking in.

'...you have something so profoundly special and unique.'

Viv never spoke about her position within the family, as dictated by Elder Hammerthynn. She never spoke about him at all, not after she told Brig about her silver scar. What she did talk about was Nachton, the Den, and the Pipers. She had asked Brig about his siblings, his nieces and nephews, about LT, and all things Jameson. Viv never spoke about her time before Vigo Hammerthynn saved her and now he understood why.

Brig's eyes flicked up to Marko the second he took his first step toward Vivienne. Putting the picture back on the mantle, Brig's blue eyes trained on Marko, watching his body language, waiting for the tense situation to escalate to something volatile and dangerous, but was surprised, pleasantly so.

Marko picked up Vivienne, lifting her up to his six foot five height, and hugged her. Brig looked over to LT who looked back at him with shocked eyes. Brig shrugged when Lewis, Domingo, and Dougie stepped forward and joined Marko, putting their arms around Vivienne as well. Brig and LT looked at Marthinus and Red; Red blinked, looking confused when Marthinus put his hand on the taller man's shoulder and squeezed. Moving forward, he pulled Red with him and they joined the group.

Standing sullen and torn, Charlie just watched as LT moved next to him. Brig watched his nephew nudge the Sergeant and then nod toward the group. Charlie flicked his glare at the LT and made a face. Finally LT took two steps toward the group, but not without grabbing Charlie's shoulder by his uniform and pulled him to the group.

Brig's eyebrows furrowed as he watched the men accept Vivienne. Propping his elbow back on the mantle, Brig put his chin in his hand and waited.
Viv's feet were dangling as the Pipers came and hugged her. Her initial reaction was utter shock, and then the inevitable emotional hitch in her chest threatened tears in her eyes. As she hugged the men back, she pulled at Marko's uniform, gripping a handful of it in her hands.

Clearing her throat, she chuckled and said, 'Ok, my feet are just dangling.'

Slowly the men disengaged and Marko set her down carefully. Putting her hand on his chest, she looked down and fought back the tears.

'Guys...I don't have the words, but I am...so sorry.'

The men towered over her in a tight circle and she turned, looking each of them in eye. There were still varying degrees of confusion, maybe a little anger, but overall the men had made their decision together. Vivienne caught Charlie's eye and she gave him a pleading look. His eyes were cold and hard, but slowly he relaxed and gave her a halfhearted smile.

'We'll see you tomorrow, Viv,' Charlie said softly and moved to open the door. And one by one, the Pipers filed out, wishing her a good night. Charlie exited, giving her a sad smile with the LT behind him.

'Ma'am,' LT said with a smile.

'Night, Pipers,' Vivienne said, using every bit of restraint in her to keep her voice from hitching when Brig walked up to the door, ushering LT out in front of him. He put his hand on the door and half closed it, standing behind it alone with her.

Viv looked up at him as he smiled down at her.

See you soon, he mouthed silently to her.

You sure? Maybe not tonight...?

Brig reached out with his free hand and ran his fingers into the nape of her neck, pulling her close and kissing her silently. It was quick but exhilarating and Vivienne kept her eyes closed as he broke the kiss, pulling back. Slowly she opened her eyes, catching his quick wink as he exited her apartment and closed her door.

((OOC Everyone out))

Continues in A clear message