Avon Calling

The damned note made -no- sense at all to Drew, it was just a lot of rambling. Kem had obviously been trying to work out why any one would attack Reign. It seemed, from the notes, that he thought it might have something to do with Nikhila. Which was even more perplexing to Drew.

Whatever.

It would probably make sense to her.

After some asking around he figured the most likely place for her to be was her apartment. Her and the Chief. He was almost tempted to wait, for some reason, right now, he didn't want to run into Xeph.

But he also didn't want to put this off. So, he headed to the top floor found the right door and knocked. There was a muffled 'Come in!' When he came in, Nikhila seemed to be tied in a knot. Yoga. He didn't get it.

"Paper boy? Pizza? UPS? Avon calling?"Â?

He said with as much humor as he could manager. It was till a bit tinged with hurt and concern. Honestly, Drew hadn't been certain how much his crush on Nikhila affected him until just now, with all this going on. The Chief would not be pleased, with any luck though, he wouldn't be home.

Nikhila 13 years ago
She'd had to alter her usual routine, some positions were not good for the baby and Nikhila was being very careful. Still yoga was recommended as a good low impact exercise for pregnant women and she'd been doing it for years, long before it was fashionable, so it was easy to keep it as part of her exercise regime. That, and it helped her distress on days she just didn't feel up to a run.

Lily had given her some good advice and she was trying to keep things in balance. It was getting a bit better, well it had been right up until that last meeting. It had blown up in her face. She was furious and had invoked her 'boss' privilege and gone home early. Even though she was twisted around a bit, she'd half been expecting her assistant or someone else to come by with a resolution so Nikhila hadn't thought twice about letting them in. They could damned well deal with her in any position they found her.

So, she was quite surprised to see Drew come through the door. And quickly untangled herself and hopped up.

"Shiye!"Â?

Her voice was warm, pleased to see the young man. He'd made himself scarce lately.

"Yes, come in come in. There is food and something to drink and then come sit down. I've not seen you for a while."Â?
Drew 13 years ago
He did come in and did help himself to a coke and some raw steak that had been cut up into strips. He thanked the Chief for that, although it was probably Nikhila who kept it cut up for easy snacking. Still he knew only too well her fascination for vegetables.

"How ya doing gorgeous?"Â?

The greeting lacked his usual enthusiasm. He tried, but it just wasn't there. Between the whole mess with Reign, dealing with Kem, and finding out his 'ideal woman' was preggers with another man's child Drew had been in better moods.

"So... I hear congrats are in order?"Â?

He gave in a bit to his sulkiness.

"You could have told me."Â?
Nikhila 13 years ago
Ah, so that was what was keeping him away. At least part of it. Nikhila smiled sadly and sat down at the kitchen table and Drew slid into a chair across from her.

"I am sorry. After the incident in the preserve, I was being careful. To be honest Shiye, I was scared."Â?

Nikhila could still feel the blade against her throat and the silver against her temple. Unconsciously she touched the two small scars, for the most part her hair hid them. Not entirely, especially when she had her hair pulled back, like right now, but they weren't overly obvious.

"You're right I should have told you. In fact, I should probably tell your mother. She'll be very cross with me for not saying anything."Â?

She might have been an Illamar, but Drew's mother was a formidable woman and easily held her own in their pack.
Drew 13 years ago
Damned. Just damned. How was he supposed to stay angry, well sulky, if she apologized, if she had such a good reason. And of course she'd be worried. No matter how much he wanted her to look to him for protection it was only natural that she'd look to the Chief. Drew knew he was going to have to come to terms with this sooner or later. Preferably sooner.

So for now, Drew just shelved the whole idea. He'd think about it later, for now he found a grin and let it slide into place.

"Fair enough, but you tell me about the next one."Â?

He didn't for a second think this would be an only child. They'd be great parents, he had to admit that, so it was easy enough to go back to being happy for them.

Changing the topic he pulled the envelope from where he'd stashed it and handed it to her.

"A vampire gave me this for you."Â?
Nikhila 13 years ago
Nikhila let the matter drop. She didn't think it was resolved yet, not in Drew's mind but she couldn't really help him with it. He'd been working on this crush since they'd first met and Nikhila hadn't been able to dissuade him.
The long and the short of it was though, she loved Aidan. Loved him with out question, doubt or hesitation; some where in his head Drew knew that. He just had to belive it. He'd come round soon enough.

And that was another reason for the young man to be cross and sulky, vampires.

Nikhila raised an eyebrow and took the offered envelope, opened it and furrowed her brow. Goodness.

"Kem?"Â?

She asked without looking up from the single sheet of paper. That had to be unsettling, to realize with certainty that you were working for one of them. It bothered Nikhila to know with out a doubt what Kem was. And, as Lily had observed, he was helping her. Was it possible he didn't know about them?

Nikhila dismissed that idea as unlikely and tried to make sense of the scribbles.

"This has to do with Reign? The other night?"Â?
Drew 13 years ago
Drew was coming to the conclusion that women were trouble. No matter how you sliced it. Right up until coming to Nachton his relationships had been simple and uncomplicated. Hell even the breaks ups had been mutual and pretty non-traumatic.

He thoughtfully chewed a piece of steak while he tried to consider both Nikhila and Reign and how he fit with both of them. Nice guys finished last, that's what he decided. Although the Nikhila thing was of his own making and the Reign thing, well they were both honest about what it was. So that one was easier to deal with.

Still seeing Reign threatened like that, Drew had been very protective of her. Very.

He snapped down another bite of steak before answering.

"Yeah."Â?

Resentment was clear in his voice. Everything Drew knew said that Kem and his kind were vicious, thieving, bastards and shouldn't be allowed to live. It was hard to shake that.
Nikhila 13 years ago
Nikhila put the note aside and looked at Drew. He seemed to be more than slightly out of sorts and it was hard to tell exactly what was bothering him. She chose to address the vampire issue, indirectly.

"He's a good man. At least he has been to me. Without his help I wouldn't have gotten nearly as far with my work. He's gone out of his way to bring me research and been quite understanding when some of what he loaned me was taken from my control."Â?

That was a big one. Kem could have gotten very ugly about that. But he'd been concerned, understanding and polite.

"Reign has mentioned him in a positive light once or twice and you've never had anything bad to say about him as your boss. And even if any of that wasn't true, he did help you."Â?

And was continuing to do so from the looks of it.
Drew 13 years ago
"Yeah but he said he shouldn't have and wouldn't again."Â?

Drew snapped back, positive this demonstrated the underhanded devious way vampires worked. Rather uncharitably, but in the interest of honesty he did add.

"Something about looking out for his family. Apparently fighting with another vampire is a bad thing."Â?

Still in Drew's mind, Kem was Reign's neighbor. He -should- help her. He was also tougher and stronger than any human, he shouldn't just stand by and let something like that happen.
Nikhila 13 years ago
"And if some one you knew, but who had no ties to the Pack was in danger you'd do something."Â?

Drew nodded defiantly, reminding Nikhila that he was still young. Not sheltered, as isolated as he had been on the reservation, that pack was far from sheltered. They dealt with more prejudice on a regular basis than most of their kind.

"Even if your protecting them would endanger the whole of the Pack?"Â?

That forced Drew to pause. Apparently his worry for his friend was clouding his judgment. It didn't surprise Nikhila, not really. But if Drew wanted to succeed his father he was going to have to start remembering the big picture.
Drew 13 years ago
Well damned. She was right. Drew hated it but Nikhila had a point. He sat there and spun the Coke can between his hands, considering. Was this what the Chief and his father dealt with all the time? Trying to find the best answer.

For a moment, he watched Nikhila start to make some tea. You could just barley see where she was starting to look a little thick through the waist. On her it looked good though. Lord he was a sick puppy, pregnant women were not supposed to be attractive. More to the point he shouldn't -couldn't- have a crush on the Alpha's mate.

Nikhila sat back down and he answered carefully.

"You have to do what's right at the time and then deal with the rest. The pack should always be first priority, but not necessarily to the detriment of outsiders. You can only take care of one thing at a time."Â?
Nikhila 13 years ago
As she sat down Nikhila helped herself to one or two of the steak cubes. She'd have to cut some more up. She didn't like leaving chicken or seafood like this, but the beef handled it well.

She nodded at Drew and then pointed to the note Kem had sent her.

"I think Kem might feel the same way don't you?"Â?

It sure looked like he was trying to help, and maybe to end run any vampire politics by giving this to her.

For an enemy Kem seemed to have a very strong sense of honor and fair play. Nikhila respected him a great deal for that. She wasn't ready to run to him for help, too many old memories for that. But she could continue to work with him.
Drew 13 years ago
Drew didn't answer, not directly. He didn't want to say it. He wanted to drift back into a world before he'd killed a guy on Reign's lawn. When he could pretend Kem -wasn't- a vampire and he could still tease a not pregnant Nikhila.

He sealed up the meat, he'd left about a quarter because it seemed wrong to eat what was obviously intended as snack food for the Chief, and put it back in the fridge. Well he started too, Nikhila told him to just finish it.

A few more bites went in his mouth and he slid the letter note thing back over to him.

"Does this make -any- sense to you. I mean to me it just Kem looking for random things about Reign that would piss people off. Why does it come back to you?"Â?
Nikhila 13 years ago
Nikhila took that as grudging acceptance. Sometimes living with inherited memories could be hard. Drew was at least trying to deal with them, with some moderate success.

It would be easy for him to be too insist on taking his lessons only from the Alpha, only from his Alpha in Bitter Springs or his grandfather, but Drew was too smart for that. Besides, Nikhila wasn't teaching him anything but how to back up and think things through.

It wasn't a lesson that would come over night, they'd probably wind up having a similar conversation again. If not with her, with some one else, maybe his father, maybe Xeph or Hammer or even Lily. At least he would eventually learn it.

She was proud.

Looking at the note she didn't quite understand what Kem was trying to tell her. But then again, Kem probably didn't either.

"Not yet. But it will sort it self out eventually."Â?

Drew frowned as eh finished the meat and his coke. She placed a comforting hand on his.

"Shiye, she'll be safe. You won't be the only one keeping an eye on her."Â?
Drew 13 years ago
She hadn't answered his question. Drew couldn't help but notice that. Well, maybe she didn't know. Maybe, just maybe he'd talk to Kem a bit more. But probably not. It was what it was.

Not wanting to over stay his welcome and feeling a bit uncomfortable Drew quickly finished his snack and coke. The Tupperware went in the sink and the can in the recycling.

"You let me know if you need me OK? For anything."Â?

Nikhila only smiled said 'Of course'.

He started to the door and she followed. On impulse Drew leaned forward and kissed Nikhila's cheek.

"I really am happy for you both. It'll be a lucky whelp. You can name it after me if you want."Â?

Not waiting for an answer and knowing he'd been pretty audacious there Drew headed back to his own rooms he had to get ready for work fast or he'd be late. And since it wasn't a full moon, the boss wouldn't approve.

((OOC... Drew out))
Nikhila 13 years ago
She smiled as he left. Some day he'd fill his father's shoes very nicely Nikhila decided. Fortunately that was a few years from now, he still had a ways to go but she could see he'd grown up a bit just since arriving in Nachton.

Shutting the door she picked up the note, one of her own note pads and a pencil along with a bunch of grapes and went to sit in Aidan's favorite chair. She'd rather be curled up against him, but this was an acceptable substitute

As she munched on the grapes, she started doing a bit of sketching herself, even the occasional Venn diagram. It still felt like something was missing, something obvious. As she'd said though, it would come.

((OOC...Nikhila out))