EOE, Remember? (attn: Drew)

Kem had been mulling things over in his head for the remainder of last night and the entire day. It had helped to have Aishe home to explain things to. She was more the super-sleuth than he was. Even so, there were a few clues he'd missed initially as well as a few blanks he still needed filled.

He didn't like the idea of Reign being home alone at night, but Aishe was only working part of this evening and had promised to keep an eye on their neighbor. Kem doubted Drew would leave her unattended, too, and Sirius wasn't a dog to mess with either.

He reached Meridian shortly after dark and was immediately waylaid by two people with Evenhet-related questions. This was what he hated, since he never truly felt like the Clan was his to direct. He tried to keep Alfarinn in mind every time he made a decision though, still sure in the back of his mind that his friend would return.

When he finally reached the archives it was well past ten, and he could see the answering machine in his office flashing even before he got to the doorway. Another fun night.

Drew 13 years ago
Drew had slept a majority of the day, that was how he rolled working the night shift. Once awake though he'd collected the baseball equipment he'd stashed the night before, run back to the Den, gotten his work things and stuff to hang out and Reign's for a few days, just to be on the safe side. They'd also had a friendly argument about her actually getting a guest bed so he didn't keep having to sleep on the couch and a slightly more hostile argument about her getting a gun. Apparently that wasn't happening.

Still he made it to work super early. If you were going to get fired it would be best to get a few hours pay out of the day. He'd gone out of his way to make sure he looked extra professional today and even the few people he worked with had noticed he was a bit subdued. But there was no meeting notice on his calendar, so Drew just kept working. He didn't want to make a big deal out of things, maybe Kem didn't either. Although, he'd be pissed if he put in a whole night's work and -then- got fired. At least if he got let go early he could go back and keep an eye on Reign.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
After another hour or so, Kem came up for air. He was working like a man possessed trying to hold things together in two different areas but, almost sadly, he'd actually become used to it over the last couple of years. Still, he needed a break here and there and he wanted to find Drew.

Stretching the stiffness out as he rose from his chair he made his way to the lounge and started a pot of coffee. His night-owl archivists both wandered in around that time; they usually did when he started brewing. It had gotten to be a nightly habit. They chatted comfortably for a few minutes before Kem excused himself and got up, pouring an extra cup and bringing it with him along with sugar and cream.

It wasn't hard to find Drew, working at his usual desk. Kem set the steaming cup down in front of him and added the sugar and creamer from where they'd been hiding in his other hand. If a little telekinesis had kept him from dropping anything on the way, well, he was allowed.

"How is she?" He asked in a muted voice, although they were the only two in the archives just then.

He didn't look at Drew; he just leaned on the side of the desk and paid attention to his own coffee.
Drew 13 years ago
Drew had been very quiet tonight, he hadn't wanted to draw attention to himself. He was suddenly very aware he was in a vampire strong hold and his boss was one of them. It had been OK... OKish when he could pretend that Kem wasn't a vampire and the Chief was wrong. It was harder now. He kept seeing them everywhere, suspected everyone who came into the archives, which fortunately because of his shift, was very few people. So tonight he just did his work to the best of his abilities and tried to go unnoticed.

The coffee smelled good, but he refused to go get some. No mingling, not tonight. So he was very surprised to look up and see Kem there with a cup. He bit back his first reaction, which was to growl, and checked his second which was to not tell him a thing about Reign. Drew took a deep breath and the offered coffee and the sugar, he didn't like cream. Cream he associated with cats and he had cat issues...

"Stupidly stubborn."Â?

He shrugged, added sugar to the coffee and stirred it.

"Shaken and a bit edgy but she won't admit it. "

He scowled a bit at his boss and tried to forget he was a vampire. Tried to remember that he really was a decent guy who'd been very helpful and had encouraged him in a few things and even let him play in collections now and then. He tried to decide exactly how big a threat, how much of an enemy this one vampire was. The truth was he couldn't tell. Kem had helped he and Reign and while he might not actively do so again he was still obviously concerned about Reign. It didn't add up.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
It wasn't hard to tell that Drew was still pretty disgruntled. Gone was the eager to please puppy from last week. In his place was a protective, closed-off guard dog. Kem didn't like the change but it had been necessary. He wondered, though, now that the other shoe had dropped, so to speak, if Xephier would continue to have Drew here or if Drew even wanted to remain.

He gave a short laugh into his coffee mug.
"Figures," he said. Edgy but stubborn sure covered it. "Reign's a tough lady."

He glanced at Drew, pale eyes taking the werewolf in. "And you? No ill effects?"

Kem knew silver would hurt werewolves. It was in every piece of information he'd found on the subject. And by Drew's own admission the two bullets Kem had taken would have had a far worse effect on Drew than they had on him. Not that he'd known they were silver at the time. Kem didn't know if proximity was a factor though. Drew had seemed wary of them while they were shut up in Reign's bathroom.
Drew 13 years ago
He made a conscious effort to stop growling, to force himself to relax somewhat. It was going to get hard to work here if he had to -think- about behaving himself. But Drew wasn't about to dishonor the old guys or the Chief. If Kem kept playing nice, he'd work at it. He even managed a genuine smile as he snorted.

"Tough doesn't begin to cover it."Â?

The list of adjectives was long and not all of them were flattering but they were mostly impressive. He almost, -almost- understood why she'd had two relationships go blewy. But that wasn't the issue now.

Kem's concern for him, while not deep (obviously it didn't need to be he was here and working), made Drew take another step back from his more wolfish attitude. It probably wouldn't last and he was still far from puppy mode but he opened up a bit more.

"I got off better than you did."Â?

Translation, not even a scratch.

"You look like you've patched up pretty good your self."Â?

He'd said his thanks at the time, and wasn't really sure where to go with this conversation. It was just... weird.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Drew seemed to be working around the attitude thing. In the meantime Kem was studying his reactions, the scholar inside never far from the surface. What better opportunity to learn about werewolves than to have one working in his archives? Xephier might pull Drew tomorrow; he'd better get what he could while he could.

He checked himself there; that was a little mercenary even for him. He was actually glad Drew was all right and he liked the kid's company, werewolf or not. His lips quirked up slightly at Drew's observation.

"We tend to do that," he said agreeably. He actually hadn't managed to dig every little bit of the shell out of his shoulder last night at Reign's, but by the time he realized the pain in his shoulder wasn't slow regeneration Aishe was home and in her typical practical manner she'd managed to help him fish out the last bits.

"Anyone with her now?" Kem brought the topic back to Reign. He hoped she wasn't alone.
Drew 13 years ago
Drew had to admit he was impressed. Sure they healed up fast by human standards but from the look of it Kem had them well beat. He wondered if that was an every vampire thing or just a Kem thing. It defiantly made for a formidable enemy.

"Well I'll admit to being jealous."Â?

If that silver had hit him Drew would still be feeling it depending on where it hit. But he wasn't about to admit that to Kem. Somethings you didn't share with the enemy even if you sort of liked them. He did, however, make a note that silver didn't seem to have the same effect on vampires as it did werewolves.

"She went over to her coach's for some practice and said she'd hit C'est La Vie on the way home."Â?

Reign hadn't wanted to call any one over and she hadn't wanted to stay home by herself either. So she and the mutt had gone out. She'd probably be home an hour or two before he got off, but she'd not be alone long.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Kem snorted. "I don't know, it has its ups and downs."

Like taking bullets intended for certain werewolves. Stupid-fast regeneration lent itself to a certain amount of recklessness. Case in point; Kem's battle strategy the previous night had lacked any style whatsoever, but owing to his confidence in his own physiology he'd managed to come out on top because he could allow his body to take a certain amount of abuse.

He nodded with approval when Drew outlined Reign's plans.
"Aishe will be home by then," he said. "She told me she'd keep an eye on things."

Aishe had her ways. Of course, her eyes were every bit as sharp as Kem's own but in addition thanks to her efforts there was a thriving family of raccoons under their back porch, several generations of whom had grown up "talking" to Aishe. If she asked them to simply watch Reign's house for a few hours, they would. A raccoon in the wild tended to be somewhat scrappy; raccoons raised with no predators and constant access to good food were downright frightening, Kem thought. They were enormous, and it wasn't fluff. The males had easily reached about 40 pounds each, the females only slightly smaller around 30 or 35.

They had moved out in a radius from the back porch with each successive generation. Aishe knew the locations of each den in the woods behind their house and she kept meticulous watch over them. It was a veritable army now.

The idea of a raccoon swarm at Reign's house made him laugh but he swallowed it, stifling a smile so that Drew wouldn't think he was being irreverent or anything like that. Even if he was.
Drew 13 years ago
Drew didn't see the down side. But he was happy enough with his own abilities so didn't see the need to envy Kem too much.

Aishe, Drew knew full well she was in security and that she and Kem were living together. Reign also seemed to like her.

"I'll tell her. If she wanted to just drop by that probably would be OK."Â?

Reign sure as hell wouldn't ask, but Drew suspected it would be good for her, and appreciated. It would also make Drew feel better.

"Is she..."Â?

There was no way Drew couldn't ask. He'd understand if Kem didn't answer and he wouldn't press, but part of his job was to gather information.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
"I'll let her know," Kem said. He'd get in touch with Aishe soon and tell her it was probably okay to go over to Reign's place... with four-legged backup, of course.

Drew's half-asked question was painfully awkward and Kem, falling back into his usual habits, couldn't resist deliberately misunderstanding.

"... home already?" he finished the question for Drew. "Oh, probably not just yet. But she will be soon."

Honestly, Drew was still the 'spy' in this odd-couple pairing they had going on. Kem wasn't about to start compromising other people just because they'd gotten to play knight in shining armor together.

He let the younger man hang for a little bit before is smile slipped free again. He leaned down toward Drew.
"Aishe makes her own choices," he said. "Why don't you ask her sometime?"

With the he straightened and finished the last of the coffee in his mug.
Drew 13 years ago
Drew didn't push the issue at all. While he was still gathering information Kem had earned himself a little leeway last night. A little not a lot. So he just let the 'misunderstanding' go.

That was a fair answer. Drew, however, wasn't sure he'd ask the young woman. When Kem smiled that encouraged him a bit. Drew grinned and snorted.

"I don't know about that. I get the feeling she could kick my ass if I pissed her off. Maybe I'll send her an email."Â?

He felt a little bit more secure about things. But just a little. He and Kem were slowly, sort of, trying to reestablish their old dynamic. It wasn't without effort for Drew, but his boss was trying to make it work.

"So... is this going to mess with my sick time?"Â?

It was Drew's way of asking if he still had a job. Kem had to know ½ the reason he was here was to keep an eye on vampiric happenings. It wouldn't surprise him to be asked not to come back. Shame too, he was getting good at his job. That, and it was going to be a bitch to find a new job.

"I mean do you still want me to call in or are we just going to call a spade a spade?"Â?

Still he managed to keep his tone light and freindly.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Kem's lips slid up a little further and he nodded at Drew, which could have indicated agreement with any part of his statement about Aishe. "You do that," he said with a grin.

Quirking a brow up at the werewolf sitting there he asked, "What sick time? It's burning a hole through your pocket."

He understood the nature of Drew's question though, the unspoken inquiry behind it. He concealed his surprise and tilted his head at Drew.

"You do realize Meridian is an equal opportunity employer right?"

He could see it now... Drew leveling a discrimination lawsuit against meridian for being fired from his job because he was a werewolf. Huh. That could be historical. Kem didn't feel like trying it out.

"Between you and me," he said, "we know the score. For HR purposes though, by all means be imaginative. I have to come up with some way to protect your job, after all."

And he meant that, oddly enough. Kem wasn't the only one who had a say in Drew's employment status. If his monthly absences were noticed, HR could and would step in.

"You do me a favor and stop conveniently getting lost in places my fiance has to come fish you out of, and I'll do my best to keep you gainfully employed." His emphasis was on the second to last word. If Drew wanted to stay here, he could stay... as an employee like everyone else.
Drew 13 years ago
"Thanks for the help boss."Â?

Drew cheerfully rolled his eyes at Kem's second non-answer of the evening.

He barked a half laugh. Yeah equal opportunity so extended to werewolves. Well he he could always play the Indian card if he had to. Drew tended to forget about it, but it was there. He did wonder though, just how equal things were. Maybe Meridian had a lot of vampires working for it. He'd like to find out, but now was not the time to ask.

"Maybe I should just fill out some FMLA paperwork. I mean it is a chronic condition."Â?

Maybe the Chief would sign off on it. Who knew. Well he was mostly kidding any way.

Drew frowned a bit. He couldn't stop being a wolf, he couldn't stop trying to pick up information and he sure as hell couldn't promise not to get lost.

"I am what I am. I do a good job and I can keep doing it. And the lost thing is... er... sort of... not an act."Â?

He wasn't going to make trouble or try and start a palace cue or anything but he wasn't going to just close his eyes and ears. But Kem knew what he was, and Drew didn't mean a wolf, he had to. That compromised his effectiveness right there and Kem knew it. It wouldn't take much to keep him from getting much, if anything.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
"Good luck with that," Kem said. Inventive excuses would go pretty far, but FMLA for being a werewolf? He couldn't see that happening any time soon.

He did tap his fingers against his coffee mug. So Drew really did get lost that easily? We could see.

"That's... a little frightening," he finally said. There were any number of things he could say regarding Drew's alleged bad sense of direction, but he didn't want to make threats or issue ultimatums. He wouldn't do those things if he were dealing with a human, so he wouldn't do them with Drew. He'd know if the werewolf got loose outside the archives with MARI around, and at any rate there were no sensitive materials anywhere that Drew had access to on his own.

"As far as your, you know," he rolled his hand, "permanent moon syndrome," he said with a flash of an evil grin at the resulting acronym, "I'll do my best, like I said."

When had he gotten into the habit of doing favors for werewolves? He should stop it right now. Although, it might not be a bad thing to be able to call some of those in. At some unspecified point in the future.
Drew 13 years ago
"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."Â?

Drew quipped. The statement wasn't entirely true, but it was a good solid cliche come back. And you had to respect that.

He ran his hands through his hair and looked sheepish.

"God's honest truth. Ask Reign. You get used to it though, coping mechanisms and all that."Â?

He shrugged. Maybe that's part of the reason he'd done all that work on out door survival, so he could learn 900 ways to tell what direction he was going. And as long as he stopped to read a map or check where he was every few miles he could manage. Didn't work as well in buildings though.

Drew made a face at the whole PMS thing. That was not something he wanted to be associated with. He was a manly man and all that. Eh... whatever. Crazy vampire sense of humor.

"I'll just be thankful for weekends and be... creative."Â?

Did this make him in debt to Kem? Drew wasn't sure. Maybe. Maybe he'd see if he could find another job, that is if the Chief didn't need him still. Might be better that way.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
"Trouble with luck is that it always runs out when you need it most," Kem pointed out cynically. "Then you're left with whatever skills you had when you started."

In his experience, anyhow, he'd let luck go hang itself and take preparation and planning. But maybe that was the difference in living a hundred years and living a thousand.

Shrugging to himself he told Drew,
"I'll take your word for it," and dropped the topic of his directional impairment. He'd have MARI keep an extra close eye on Drew, which he was sure Drew would absolutely love.

"Then I'll consider the topic closed," he said, eyebrows raised as if asking Drew if there was anything left to add, "and I would appreciate it if you could do me one small favor."
Drew 13 years ago
"Then its lucky I'm good too."Â?

Drew's eternal optimism snuck into the conversation. Luck and skill went hand in hand and while luck couldn't be relied on it shouldn't be totally counted out. After all, while he could have taken out all four of the thugs, he'd been lucky that Kem had taken those bullets and he'd been lucky that the cops had shown up the same time as the silu.

Drew just shrugged, both about his directional skills and about his... creativity. He'd never worked for any one who knew he was a werewolf. It was sort of odd. It would have been rather nice to be himself if he wasn't working for a vampire. God life was simpler in the desert.

Favor? That made him nervous. He didn't want to be indebted to a vampire, not even one as apparently decent as Kem. But, that whole taking a bullet, literally, had sort of... well it would be awkward to say no.

"I might owe you one or two..."Â?

OK it wasn't a yes, it wasn't a commitment but he was going to listen. After all, he had a family to protect too.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
"Don't worry," Kem said with a shrug. "It's nothing big. I need you to deliver a message, if you would. Come with me?"

He led the way the short distance back to his office. His laptop case was next to his desk. From it he withdrew a small envelope. It wasn't sealed, and Drew would easily be able to see that it contained only a single piece of paper.

"Can you give this to Nikhila Gounder please? I helped her do some research a little while ago and we've been in touch since then. This is a lead that might help her."

Not entirely true, but mostly true. And he didn't even go into how he knew Drew would be able to get to Nikhila easily. Somethings just didn't need to be said. If drew thought he had more 'pull' than the average vampire, as he'd implied last night at Reign's, well, Kem hadn't given him a straight answer then and he sure wasn't going to give him one now. Drew could infer what he liked from the whole situation.

"I don't trust this stuff to be sent in an email," he explained. "I'd feel better if it were handed to her by someone trustworthy."
Drew 13 years ago
What the hell? Email, FedEx, USPS... Kem was a smart guy he must know about these options. If he was avoiding these something was up.

Drew casually followed along. No sense making a production out of and calling this to the attention of the other folks working tonight.

He took the envelope and noted it was open, turned it over. It was totally unremarkable. He'd probably take a look at what was in it later. The fact that Kem wanted it delivered to Nikhila bothered him more than a little. Drew still had a massive crush on her, even though it was a bit odd now knowing she was pregnant (well and truth of the matter was he'd been semi avoiding her and the Chief since he found out, it might have been better if she'd told him rather than him finding out but done was done.). But over all that only made him more protective of her.

How had she gotten mixed up with these guys? And it upset him that that Kem seemed to know who/ what she was. This vampire knew far too damned much. He resisted the urge to growl.

"I'll make sure she gets it. She can be a little... hard to get a hold of."Â?

It was as subtle as Drew could be, but that phrase had two distinct meaning and one was a warning. Polite, friendly, cheerful, and slightly veiled, but a warning just the same.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
"Yes, I know she can," Kem agreed. Drew's hackles were up again but it didn't worry him. Awfully protective sort, wasn't he? but given the nature of wolves and dogs in general, maybe hat was just how werewolves were, too.

"She knows how to reach me if she needs to," he continued, unperturbed. "It's her information to work with though."

He'd done a lot of thinking on last night's situation. As the sun had hovered high overhead he'd lay there wrapped comfortably around a sleeping Aishe, mulling it over and over and over. There were facts missing, so he tried putting together everything he'd learned about werewolves in general and about Reign in particular for the last few years.

The end result had been a hypothesis that might be a stretch, but he thought that just maybe Nikhila was the person who needed to see what he'd been working on.

He stood, gesturing to Drew in a manner that indicated they were finished here. He didn't bother locking up his office; after a short period of dishevelment it was back to its normal meticulous, perfectly organized self and there was nothing here Drew would find interesting... or incriminating.

"Thanks for giving it to her," he said. "I'll be out for the next hour or so... catch up with me later, after you've got that loan assembled."

With that he left, giving Drew unspoken permission to snoop if he chose. There was nothing on the small paper he'd written that was dangerous unless it fell into the wrong hands, which Drew's were not.

((ooc: Kem out))