Not a Good Pawn

The clove bothered him, she knew it did, but that was part of the reason Pak refused to put it out. If he'd been smacking her around, as she called it, well that would be one thing but here in the bar of the Piazza at two in the morning, well he could just deal with it.

Pak's head was bent intently over the chess board. She was a better player than he'd been expected. He hadn't said that but she could read her opponent, who ever it was, well enough to take advantage of weakness like that. He wasn't bad though.

Trying to force his queen out she moved her knight and placed the queen in danger. He'd have to move the queen or take the knight and taking the knight would leave his king open for a quick kill.

"So, when are you going to tell me what you want with me?"Â?

She sipped at the drink she'd been nursing since they sat down. Pak also continued to survey the board, planning her attack, but keeping an eye on defense.

Bao 13 years ago
Bao had intended the chess game to be a lesson in strategy, something to compliment her martial arts training. He'd expected her know know the game, he hadn't expected her to be such a good player. Bao was no slouch but he was starting to think that she was better than he was. Perhaps the lesson in strategy wasn't needed after all.

"Did you by chance teach that AI of yours how to play chess?"Â?

He actually smiled at the top of her head, she'd never see it and he didn't even realize he'd done it. He wanted Amir to see this side of her, he would be proud. He might even stop seeing her as a pawn.

The smile melted into a scowl as she forced him into a no win situation. She'd planned well too, there were very few places he could move the queen that she wouldn't be at risk nearly immediately.

"What makes you think that I want you for anything?"Â?

Bao replied without looking up. He finally moved his queen to the safest place possible. He was going to have to launch an attack of his own quickly or she'd have him cornered.
Pakpao 13 years ago
"MARI might keep me on my toes."Â?

Pak said with a grin. Although, she might be grinning at the move he'd made, it would be hard to tell. She took a long drag from her clove and ran through some options in her head.

He was right though. Pak had written the chess program MARI used and on days when Pak was bored, lonely or couldn't sleep she would occasionally get the AI to play a game or two with her. Damned program was getting hard to beat too. Hell Pak couldn't beat her ever time.

She snorted derisively as she used a pawn to force his queen where she wanted it.

"You show up after two hundred fucking years and you expect me to believe its out of the goodness of your heart?"Â?

Her tone wasn't hostile, just matter of fact.
Bao 13 years ago
Her personality was a bit... strong. But Bao was starting to get used to it. He was also learning that the aggressive, blunt, sarcastic edge was just the first layer of a very passionate person.

He swore to himself as she continued to force him to play defensively.

"Why haven't you told me what you wanted?"Â?

Bao answered a question with a question unwilling to just give information away. He then slid his queen into an attack position, threatening her bishop.
Pakpao 13 years ago
"Lawyer."Â?

She snarled at him, but it was almost affectionate.

He was taunting her, daring her to ask about her family and Pak knew it. She wanted to, god did she want to but to do so would show weakness. That was something she didn't want to be.

She moved a pawn to protect her bishop, not giving any ground. His pieces weren't positioned for his queen to be a genuine threat yet.

"Because any answer you gave me would just be a means to an end. You'd use is to get what you wanted from me."Â?

It was strategy, just like the game and Pak told him point blank she was aware of what he was doing.
Bao 13 years ago
A low chuckle was the only response he gave to her 'insult'.

"Is that what you think of me?"Â?

He wasn't terribly surprised by her pronouncement. Really she had no reason to trust him yet. But Bao was having a hard time figuring how to earn her trust. She was remaining very closed off.

The look that she gave him made it very clear that was exactly what she thought of him.

Bao analyzed the board, trying to slowly develop an attack.

"Perhaps you should give a little in order to get a little."Â?

Bao suggested as he maneuvered a knight. The move didn't seem to have a purpose, yet.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Give?! Not likely. Pak decided. She would have had an outburst and told Bao off about that but it would have broken her concentration and she very much wanted to win.

Head down she toyed with her drink a bit trying to make sense of his move. She could see three good possibilities as the board stood now but his next move would tell her which way he planed on going.

"And just what would you have me give you?"Â?

Pak sneered at him as she moved a pawn into position for her next assault.
Bao 13 years ago
Bao watched her move, impressed. It had taken a bit for him to understand what Pakpao was doing. It was a modification of a technique called a pawn assault. It was an extremely difficult strategy, and one you only saw from very clever and very advanced players. Yet Pakpao seemed to be creating her own variation of it. Not only that, he had a feeling she was doing it deliberately, sending him a message about the power and value of these lowly pieces.

His lips twisted in a wry smile. One had no choice but to smile at the audacity of what she was doing.

"Not much. Perhaps you might just consider getting to know your family."Â?

She looked at him, confused and shocked.

Attempting to break the power of her pawns he sent a knight in to attack. He should have retreated his queen, but was confidant now that he knew her plan he could keep her safe.

"The family you should have had."Â?

He amended.

"You've been meeting with me, reluctantly, with only one goal in mind. You know you aren't giving this a fair chance."Â?

Which, oddly enough, upset Bao. He was growing fond of Pakpao, but she didn't seem to be feeling he same way.
Pakpao 13 years ago
That stunned Pak. She had -no- idea he felt that way. None at all. She could almost be convinced he cared about her opinion of him. He couldn't possibly. Pak was fairly certain Bao had no feelings at all.

"I haven't been invited to any family reunions or barbeques. I didn't think I was missing out on any social obligations."Â?

She hid her confusion by stubbing out the tiny remainder of her clove, opening her ornate cigarette case, selecting and lighting another. Pak was aware the habit bothered Bao, and took some enjoyment in tormenting him with it.

"Besides, you've not given any indication you're interested in dealing with as a person, more as a tool."Â?

Message or not, Pak saw the sudden weakness of his queen and pounced. She'd have that piece off the board in two moves, -and- she'd do it with no loss to her side.
Bao 13 years ago
Bao openly rolled his eyes as Pakpao lit another cigarette.

He, however, couldn't really disagree with her assessment. But trying to establish a personal relationship with his offspring wasn't something he was used to. Typically the relationship developed over decades while he trained them and taught them. Perhaps he was going to have to modify his approach and expectations here as well.

"I thought this might count as a more social outing."Â?

Apparently she was more flexible about here strategy than he'd anticipated. Bao realized his queen was very likely a lost cause. He moved his knight trying to make her a more difficult and expensive target.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak snorted and countered his move by taking his knight. It would cost her a pawn, but in the end it would be worth it.

"No."Â?

He looked at her and raised an eyebrow. It was the most emotion he ever showed. Pak had to be impressed. It was one of her better expressions but Bao could convey a much wider range of emotion with that look, anything from annoyance to curiosity to irritation and every thing in between and he did it so much better than she did.

As always, she understood what the look meant.

"No. You invited me here to teach me something. That's how you work. It isn't my fault you'd assume I was an idiot at the chessboard and there is very little you can teach me here. That doesn't suddenly make it daddy daughter bonding time."Â?
Bao 13 years ago
Other than that one raised eyebrow Bao kept his face a mask, that is just how he was, it wasn't soothing he thought about or had to fight to do. He kept his emotions and reactions in check at all times.

He was, however, going to have to stop under estimating her. It was hard for Bao to realize that even though Pakpao had 'grown up' mostly on her own and with out his guidance, she had grown. She was intelligent, resourceful, and, as evidenced by that last move, cunning.

Bao inclined his head by way of apology.

"Then what, pray tell, does count as this 'bonding time'?"Â?

He didn't recall having any bonding time with Amir, but then again he had Amir to guide him though his first few hundred years, and even after.

Bao frowned at the board and started to build a new strategy with out his queen. He slid pawn forward.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak's odd light blue eyes snapped up from the board and bore into him with every bit of T-Rex power she had.

"You could start by not holding my family over my head to make sure you keep my interest."Â?

There, she'd said it and she hadn't held back. Kem would be proud. And she'd done it with out starting a massive argument so she might even get points from Aishe. Oddly enough, she wondered what Mara would think of her little ultimatum. Pak hadn't seen her new friend for a while and realized she rather missed her.

Shrugging these thoughts off she stared at the board with a fierce concentration. She took the queen, took his most powerful piece and felt it was a bit of a symbolic victory.

"After that you could stop trying to mentally catalog my skill set and tell me,"Â?

She repeated her initial question,

"What the fuck you want with me now."Â?
Bao 13 years ago
She had a good presence, there was simply no getting around that. Even Bao wasn't oblivious to the force of that look. And all of a sudden she was making demands. He was rather taken aback. Pakpao had demonstrated her strength of character before, but this was new, this was aggressive and it made him proud. Not that he had any right to be, but Bao couldn't help it.

He watched his queen fall and realized his plan had fallen with her. If he continued to deny her information about her family he would lose her. The game was over, she'd won.

"I thought I knew. Initially my goal was to bring you back to Anantya you would be a benefit to the clan."Â?

She'd be quite valuable to Amir's work as well, but he certainly couldn't tell her that.

Continuing to play Bao moved his bishop.

"Check."Â?

It wouldn't last. The most he could do was to hope to draw Pakpao into a vulnerable spot, but she'd planned well.

He sighed, knowing what he had to say next would not necessarily be easy for her to hear.

"What exactly do you want to know about your family?"Â?
Pakpao 13 years ago
It was both a surprise, and not at the same time. Pak didn't even bother to hide the contempt in her voice.

"Not going to happen."Â?

But he did get points for being honest.

Not immediately looking up from the board Pak made certain she had herself under control. She did what she could to reinforce her walls and subterfuge and brace herself for bad news. Obviously he knew something or he wouldn't have asked that question. She refused to see the face of her husband, her children, she couldn't think too hard about it or she would weaken.

Looking up she gave him her own raised eyebrow. Everything. She wanted to know everything he knew.

Still looking at him she moved her knight to take his bishop and simultaneously check his king. Her pawns had him trapped. He could only move his king in one direction now. She had him in a corner, it was all over but the shouting.
Bao 13 years ago
It was odd having his own expression thrown back at him. But as she could translate his, Bao could translate hers. Perhaps it was a stupid question. She wouldn't want to not know. If he were to tell her he'd ripped the throats out of the children she would want to know.

He watched her set his bishop down as she refused to break eye contact. For as much as he knew this meant to her, it was unsettling how self-controlled she was. There was no hint as to her mood at all.

"I went back for you the following night. By the time I'd gotten there you had gone."Â?

Bao knew exactly why she'd gone. Command worked just as well on humans as it did on other vampires, often better.

"The news was a little upsetting."Â?

The truth was he'd gone into a rage, completely losing his temper and acted without thinking.

"I killed your husband."Â?

It hadn't been polite or gentle or even considerate, it had been nasty and cruel. But Bao didn't want to burden her with that information.

He reached for his own drink and moved a bishop into a more defensive position while waiting for her to absorb that and see how she'd react.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Fortunately Pak had planed several moves ahead because moving her knight, further forcing Bao's king to retreat was done very automatically.

She calmly looked up from the board and levelly regarded the vampire in front of her and tried to feel how she felt. On the one hand, Sunan had been a good husband. They'd never been in love, but they had cared for each other. On the other, Pak mentally snarled, not allowing the expression to reach her face or eyes. He had been less than understanding about that night. He'd left her alone after the attack and that had just been the start of it.

Absently she rubbed her jaw where he'd struck her, hard enough to knock her to the ground. Just before threatening to kill her. His ultimate sin though was the children. He'd saw to it the last memory her son and daughter had of her was fear. The belief that she was a monster and would hurt them. She could still see Kalhan, her son, who looked so much like his father pulling his sister behind him. To protect her.

Maybe she was still angry. Maybe she didn't feel bad he had died in such a manner. Pak puffed thoughtfully on her clove, trying to decide if that made her a bad person. She was going to have to consider that.

But right now only one thing really mattered.

"And the children?"Â?

She thanked god for her ability to keep her emotions totally hidden. It was a bit of a strain under the circumstances but at least her voice wasn't cracking. He couldn't hear how anxious she was about this next answer.
Bao 13 years ago
Bao decided that one should not play poker with Pakpao. She'd gone to a lot of trouble to get this information, and yet just by looking at her, listening to her it was impossible to tell it meant anything to her.

Suddenly he wished he'd brought the picture in with him. That would undoubtedly break her reserve. As she held her silence Bao waived over the one remaining cocktail waitress. He gave her a large tip and asked her to have one of the valets bring in his brief case. He didn't consider why he'd been carrying it since meeting with Pakpao, but it was fortuitous he had been.

She finally broke her silence. It concerned Bao how little concern she showed for her husband. But perhaps the relationship was more complicated than he'd assumed. Her interest in the children was more in line with what he'd come to expect from his only daughter.

"I am not the monster you fear. I was a father once."Â?

Bao paused wishing the valet would hurry.

"I took them in, raised them. Not personally, I'm afraid my responsibilities even then didn't lend to raising children. But I did see to it they had an education and were each settled when they came of age."Â?

Even though he'd not personally raised them, Bao had been involved in their lives. They knew who he was. Watching the little girl, Lawan, grow had been rather hard. She looked so much like her mother he couldn't help but remember what he'd done, how he'd lost her.
Pakpao 13 years ago
It was a wrench but Pak managed to hang on to her totally neutral demeanor. If nothing else all this hanging out with Bao had helped her get a -very- good handle on her subterfuge.

Her heart leapt in her chest. The idea that her children had survived was... it was like nothing she'd felt since the day they were born. But she refused to get her hopes up. This could be a lie, a line, a ploy to earn her trust.

"Of course you did. After you murdered their father in front of them they willingly followed you home and you loved them like your own."Â?

Pak said levelly, refusing to even give him the satisfaction of sarcasm.

One of the hotel staff handed Bao his brief case, but she didn't even pay attention. Forcing her attention back on to the game and not these twisted fantasies she only said,

"It is your move."Â?
Bao 13 years ago
Anger flared in Bao, but he controlled his temper. After all this time and effort she still held that low an opinion of him. It was frustrating. Although it gave him more of an idea of her determination and how much this meant to her. That Pakpao would nearly willingly spend this much time with him, even believing him capable of this, it was astounding. Once again Bao was struck by what he had lost letting her get away, he had made a very bad mistake.

"No. They did not witness his death. They may have believed that I was their uncle and that both you and your husband had died suddenly and they were to live with me."Â?

It was the -only- time he'd commanded anything of the children. They had to have a good reason to come with him, and a reason to stay. He also didn't want them trying to find their parents, running away or anything like that. They had to accept him.

Bao found what he was looking for. He slid a small leather case across the table to Pakpao and then moved his king back to regroup.

"It is your move."Â?
Pakpao 13 years ago
Indifferent to his rustling around Pak continued to nurse her drink and study the board. She didn't even immediately pick up what he'd given her, she was much more interested in the board. Moving his king like that had been odd, unexpected and almost illogical. She hadn't been prepared for it, she was going to have to adjust.

Clove in hand she picked up the small leather folder. Realizing it was quite old, relatively speaking, she set the cigarette aside. Indifferent or not she didn't damage antiques.

Opening it, Pak paid only a passing glance to the old pictures, there was one on each side. She didn't know much about the history of photography, they were probably tin types, or Daguerreotypes, something like that, one of them had been shaded. She only glanced at it for a second and then back at the board.

Her hand hovered over her queen for a second before she slowly looked back. The young man, he could almost be Sunan, almost the shape of his eyes and mouth were wrong. Holding her breath she looked to the young woman the eyes were too dark, but except for that detail it was a face Pak saw in the mirror every day. They both looked healthy, happy, even prosperous.

She pinned Bao with an expression that was both demanding and pleading at the same time.