It's not so bad (attn: Drew)

Kai ran until her heaving sides and tired legs couldn't carry her any longer. She flopped down beneath a tree, laid her snout between her paws and promptly fell asleep. It wasn't a long nap, because when she opened her eyes, the sun hadn't moved much and her trail was still strong.

She followed the trail she'd made very very carefully, back to where she'd undressed. Kai was very familiar with her own scent, as it was the only way she could find her way back in wolf form. The Gift had screwed her sense of direction to the point that she could get lost standing still. It was the reason she never deviated her route to and from work, or that she ever went too very far from home. She was always afraid of never making it back.

Curling up on herself, she pushed the wolf back down and let Kai come out. Sighing she brushed leaves and dirt from her skin, before putting her clothes back on. In all of this she was rather, single minded and had not let her thoughts roam over her lunch with Brig. Now however, with the occupation gone, her mind began to tumble things about.

She was sad, but not because her heart was broken, but because she had liked Brig and rejection of any kind stung. It was never easy to be told no, even if the no had been so sweet and gentle. Upon emerging from the woods her phone vibrated her pocket. It was a text from one of the stewards about her bags. She asked them to be taken to her room, and then tucked the phone away. They must have been watching for her. She'd drop a thank you card by later.

Looking around the Tikerak, Kai spotted a hammock swaying between two sturdy trees. As she crossed her phone buzzed again. A smile was tugged from her as she read the text.

~I'm off tonight! Want to celebrate? I bring the woo and you bring the hoo?~

Drew was, as had been evidenced thus far, a great friend to have around. He always seemed to bolster her spirits every time she was around him.

~Sure, I'm out on the Tikerak if you want to soak up some sun before we woo-hoo.~

She continued her path to the hammock, Drew would find her if he wanted to, or not. They'd come together before long either way.

Drew 13 years ago
He just got in trouble when he hung out while Reign was working. Apparently she actually needed to concentrate and shit. To Drew's mind any game you could play in a bar, and he knew from first hand experience she could play while singing along with the jukebox, didn't require too much quiet. But she disagreed.

So he'd poked Kai and she had seemed agreeable. Ambling out into the sunshine she looked around, it wasn't hard to find her. Feeling a bit like a clown, Drew gave his best war whoop (Hey his people might not be the most war like tribe ever but they did have TV) and charged the hammock Kai was in. At full speed he dropped into a perfect feet first slide and came out the other side.

"This is a might tame for a whoo hoo kind of plan ya know?"Â?
Kai 13 years ago
Kai had settled into the hammock, pulled her legs to her chest, and watched as a pack of unruly boys, no more than twelve, run shirtless around the Tikerak. It was very Lord of the Flies and Kai found them fascinating.

Though she was delightfully distracted when Drew let loose a odd version of a war cry, and came sprinting across the lawn at her. Kai laughed from deep in her belly, and twisted around to look at him when he popped up behind her.

"You seem to have gotten a pretty good start if you ask me."

Laughing she uncurled from the hammock and stood facing him with her hands on her hips. "So how does one bring the hoo?"
Drew 13 years ago
Bouncing to his feet Drew just grinned, it had been a good slide and a little on the impressive side. Even if Kai didn't know enough about baseball, he knew. Any one of his coaches would have given him full marks.

"That was nothing. Well nothing other than years of practice and some serious god given talent."Â?

He said less than modestly, bouncing a bit as he found his feet again.

She pulled herself up from the hammock and he just smiled. Truthfully, Drew was up for anything. Food, movie, club, food, what ever; Kai however seemed a bit off. He didn't know why and figured she'd get around to it if it was important.

"Well you've got the first part down and that is getting up. Now..."Â?

He linked his arm companionably with hers,

"We just have to figure out what you're up to."Â?
Kai 13 years ago
Kai gave a small shrug, and bumped his shoulder with hers. "I'm just moping."

She smiled at him, and they started off toward the parking lot. "But we're celebrating your night off. And I think getting out of here is just what I need."
Drew 13 years ago
"Moping?"Â?

Drew asked, concerned. He hated it when people were upset. Especially friends. Drew's first instinct was to try and help. But he did manage to temper the reaction though and let Kai decide how much she did or didn't want to tell him.

Since she wanted to get out of there though he started them the long way toward the parking. He there were some fun places in the city, he'd found while lost, that were fun and take her mind of whatever was bugging her.

"So let's blow this Popsicle stand."Â?
Kai 13 years ago
"Yeah, but I figure I'm entitled, at least for a little while."

Maybe not, but still the desire to do so was still there. And Drew was probably exactly the balm she needed for the bruise on her ego.

"Sounds perfect."

Though her vague answers weren't very nice, and she didn't think Drew would care why she felt how she did.

"It seems the thing with Brig isn't going to work out."

She crinkled up her nose, and rested her head on his shoulder. It sounded so silly, but that didn't stop how she felt.
Drew 13 years ago
"If there's a good reason, then you're entitled."Â?

He said. And he meant it. He planned to take her to an old mechanical/penny arcade he'd found buried in the historic district. It was good cheap silly fun that didn't take much brain power. There was also a nice micro brewery across the street from it. One of the brew-masters had been giving him some tips and advice that he was trying out in his latest batch.

Ah. Guy trouble. Drew wasn't unaccustomed to being the shoulder to cry on. Two sisters, a few cousins, friends, Drew apparently gave off a 'harmless' vibe. It put him into the friend category pretty damned quick which could be irritating, but it could be worse.

He gave Kai a sympathetic one armed hug as she rested his head on his shoulder.

"That sucks. I'm sorry to hear it. Anything specific? Did you want to talk about it or just try and forget about it?"Â?
Kai 13 years ago
She gave him half a smile. "I think it's mostly just the sting of rejection really. What I can do is too casual for him, and I can't imagine going deeper any time soon. So, with out a middle ground to walk on he walked away."

A small chuckle shook her shoulders. "Well technically I walked away, then ran until I couldn't breath." Another shrug. "It's too bad really. I liked him, and it's been a really long time since I had time in one place to try and make a go of things with another wolf."

Her arms hugged her middle as they reached his vehicle. "There I've bared my soul, and now I want to loose myself in mindless fun." She grinned at him and climbed in through the door he held open for her.

"Where are you taking me anyway?"
Drew 13 years ago
"Casual is a funny thing. I've only ever met one girl who could manage it. Maybe he just didn't know what to make of it."Â?

And that was the truth. Reign had flat out told him off when he'd tried to get more serious. There had been a lot of profanity and some yelling but she'd laid it out for him pretty clear. He'd be going home to his Pack in Arizona and she'd be going home to Chicago and neither would ever change this plan so he could either deal with super casual and the occasional bump and grind or he could fuck off and get back to The Den. He'd gone with option A and not regretted it.

"And before you smack me for being sexist, not just any guy can manage it either."Â?

He did once in a while feel bad about it. Like he should be offering her more, but... she wouldn't let him. Drew had finally decided Reign needed a friend more than anything and if the friend was a lover from time to time, maybe that was for the best.

"Perfectly sensible reaction you know. A good long run let's you think. Besides, why should it be another wolf?"Â?

Drew shrugged. His mother was an Illamar, he'd hooked up with one, one of his sisters had declined to be gifted. He had no problem accepting Illamar. To his mind, they were a brilliant addition to the Pack. The offered a whole new perspective to things and kept the Pack strong.

"Do you really care?"Â?

He asked as he started his beat up truck and took them to the historic district.
Kai 13 years ago
Kai shrugged her shoulder and smiled. "It doesn't have to be a wolf, I've had relationships with plain ol' humans, but there's something to be said for the absolute abandon in a relationship with a wolf. It's something that humans, no matter how open minded they are, simply cannot achieve."

Buckling her seat belt, she grinned. "No not really, just curious."

((Kai and Drew out))