Lunch (Attn Kai)

A farmer's plow will tickle the ground,
You know the earth has laughed when wheat is found.
The grain is taken and flour is ground,
For making a sandwich to munch on down.
- Dirt Made My Lunch
Song for Teaching About the Soil
Steve Van Zandt and and The Banana Slug String Band

Brig needed a trim. The more he thought about his hair growing out, the more it bugged him. Reaching up, he rubbed the velvety fuzz on the back of his head and then pulled the longer hair up top. He shouldn't even be able to get a handful of it, but he pulled on it angrily and then ran both hands through it all.

'God I can feel it on my face,' he mumbled freshly showered and back in uniform. Taking the steps down from his apartment floor, he hit the ground with a brisk walk, heading toward the kitchen area. Checking his watch, he noted the hour was close to the appointed time he and Kai had decided on for lunch. Brig tried to focus on Kai instead of what he had been doing for the past five and a half hours.

His shower had been long, spent mostly standing in the cold water trying not to think of Vivienne. It alternated between her and what Hammer had told him. They both gave him quite a bit to think about: Vivienne with her intoxicating scent and rather alienating speech about her job and whatever the 'thing' was he was doing; and Hammer with his indifference to what Vivienne was, seemingly accepting her without admitting it. Hammer never once spoke about Vivienne or what happened with her family, Brig had only heard about the blood retribution second hand and there had been no survivors, certainly not a little girl. How could one person be so close to the pack and not be a part of it?

Brig's mind raced with guilt and desire. He missed his cousin, almost more than he had wanted Vivienne, but he grappled with forgiveness and hypocrisy. It was frustrating, to say the least.

Turning the corner that led to the open kitchen area, he felt his body respond suddenly to the mingling scents in the air. Scents were like colorful trails; each distinct and wonderful, and of course as he entered the area, Vivienne's once again slammed into him, almost making him trip. Sitting far on the opposite corner of the large room, at a table by herself with her back to the only way in or out of the room, sat the 'not quite' Vyusher R'asa female that he just could not stop thinking about.

Gulping, Brig checked his watch - almost 1 o'clock - and then looked about him, trying to decide whether to wait for Kai or just escape. People were filtering in and out of the room, mixing Viv's scent with their own, ramping up his anxiety. Kai appearing, right on time, ended up making the decision for him.

((OOC - hope it was ok to say kai came up, lemme know!))

Vivienne Sena 13 years ago
Viv sat lounged back in her chair with her back toward the entrance. Despite having everything to fear, she felt comfortable enough on pack property to assume there was no bulls-eye on her back. Wishful thinking, always, but being in Nachton was much more relaxing than in Australia.

Staring unfocused at her lap top in front of her on the table, she pretended to read emails and surf the internet, but was really not paying attention to anything at all. That was until the Commander came into the kitchen area. She didn't have to see him to know it was him, the fans lazily spinning above her circulated the air efficiently and his musky, clean scent wafted in her direction making her feel warm despite the air conditioning.

She heard him enter and then stop short; the patter of soft feet moved back and forth behind her. The tables surrounding her were empty, but people did tend to give her a wide berth - pack members, at least. Do werewolves instinctively know when an outsider was on their turf? Their senses were not that honed or exact, but despite being reasonably pretty, she still noticed it around Kadzaits. Viv was used to it though - never quite fitting in but being still being somewhat useful. No one had gone out of their way to introduce themselves to her, but then neither had she. The Pipers were the only ones who she recognized and vice-versa and they were usually very accommodating. She wondered how long it would be before the Commander told them she was a VR.

Her thoughts drifted again as his scent lingered around her, distracting her.
Kai 13 years ago
Kai managed to get her things gathered and get into her car at 12:45 with ou once coming into contact with fish water. Though she'd not gotten as much work done ad she'd expected to so was bringing some of it home with her which didn't bother her. She'd have lunch, nap, and then work. No one would mind and it wasn't like there was anyone to tell her not to or to mind if she spread out across one of the tables while she ate dinner later.

Walking into the Den was feeling more and more like home for her, and she was delighted to smell a couple new scents, she would make time after her lunch with Brig to go and meet the new smells. Crossing the room to where Brig stood gave her slightly mixed feelings.

She lowered the briefcase, laptop case and backpack on he shoulder to the floor and put her hands on her slim hips. With a small smile she looked up at him and spoke.

"I don't know wether to slap you are hug you."
Brig Jameson 13 years ago
'Hi!' Brig said, his voice cracking nervously. Huh, well, decision made. He gave her an apologetic frown and took her hand into his large ones. 'I'm sorry, it's been a helluva couple weeks.'

Brig inwardly cringed despite Vivienne really not being anything official to him. He tried to stay focused on Kai's face and it took all his concentration to do it. He'd get through lunch and hopefully Vivienne wouldn't get up from her seat at any point and look at him; he didn't owe her anything. Right?

'Did you want to sit here or leave?' Brig lifted Kai's hand and kissed the inside of her palm softly.
Kai 13 years ago
Huh. She made him nervous? She wasn't that frightening, at least she didn't think so. The kiss to her hand melted the irksomeness from her, and she smiled at him.

He seemed, well... uncomfortable, so Kai looked around. It was busy in the common room and she thought maybe this conversation, whatever it would hold might not enjoy an audience.

"Let's grab something and find someplace quiet."
'Ok,' he mumbled as he picked up her bags and threw them onto a shoulder. He led her though the kitchen area, keeping his eyes straight ahead or looking directly at Kai, and they picked out their lunch from the buffet tables. Raw for Kai, just a few things to pick on for him - his appetite had been erratic as of late and he managed not to eat his own hand off earlier after his morning run, but right then he just wasn't hungry. Still he wanted to spend some time with Kai to make up for his sudden disappearance.

Leading them out to the deck area, the hot sun beat down on them the moment they left the protection of the main building. Brig found a table with a large enough shade from an awning and set down their things. Helping her into her seat, he pulled a chair next to her and took off his BDU jacket, hanging it on the back.

As he sat, the starch of his uniform was crisp against his legs. He was amazed at how long it had been since he wore his uniform daily. Squinting out across the deck to the green lawn, he sighed with a slight smile.

'So did you guys have a good time on the island?'
Kai 13 years ago
Kai wasted little time digging into the meal she'd chosen for herself once they sat down. It was hot out, but nothing unbearable, and if it got that way, well they could just go back inside.

"Yes we did. We went snorkeling, had dinner, told ghost stories around the fire, and then fell asleep in the sand."

Food went into her mouth, it was chewed and swallowed. Kai sighed lightly. "It's been a long time since I slept in a big puppy pile of bodies under the moon."

She tilted her head and smiled at him. "It would have been nice to have you there. Did everything turn out alright with your cousin?"
Nodding, Brig smiled at Kai's description of the good time he missed. He definitely would have preferred being with her than hearing what Hammer had to say that evening, but he shrugged off her question and gave her a noncommittal answer consisting of several syllables and a grunt. With a shrug he moved the conversation along.

'How's the aquarium fairing? I was hoping to head out there soon, but just haven't found the time.'

Brig searched her face and took in her features. Kai was the sweetest girl and he wondered if she felt like the thing between them was progressing beyond something casual. It wasn't really anything he wanted to ask, especially with the way certain events had occurred, but Brig did wonder if she wanted more than what he could give her.

Instead of asking he waited patiently for her to comment as he pushed his food around on his plate.
Kai 13 years ago
Ah, so nothing too personal. No big deal, she wasn't the FBI and really didn't need too much information. She was just being curious.

"So far so good. The system is a little, well broken so I'm working on streamlining things. It's different work, but I like it and it challenges me."

Her smile brightened. "Text me to let me know when you're coming and I'll give you the grand tour, big heap boss man style."

He wasn't eating, and while Kai didn't know him all that well, she knew enough about giant werewolf men to know that was odd. She wondered what was bugging him enough to keep him from eating. Could he be worried about what she wanted from him? Curiosity had her taking a small breath and tuning into the energy around him. It was not an ability she used often and so it was not nearly as fine-tuned as the others.

The eddies around him mixed and collided, like they were warring against one another, but the emotion behind them was too vague for her small abilities. He was dealing with some heavy crap, and frankly Kai wasn't sure she could hang. She had her own stuff, and anything deep was beyond her scope at the moment. Maybe, just maybe they needed to talk about it.

"Hey, um Brig?" She paused for a moment, putting her thoughts in order. "Look, I know you've got a lot of stuff going on right now, and well so do I. I just...okay."

She blew out a breath and just went with the blunt honesty that thus far had served her well. "I'm not looking for anything serious. I'm not, and if you are I'm sorry I can't give that to you. But so you know," she looked square in his eyes, her breath easing a little. "I like you, and I'd like to keep seeing you, but only if we get to keep things light and easy. I'd much rather have light and easy."
Brig held his breath when Kai began speaking. He honestly was terrified at what she might say, but when she let him down easy, he resisted the urge to slump in his chair in a relieved sigh. Instead he let his breath out and took her hand.

'Honestly, I'm glad you said that, Kai. My job has become, well my job has always been first and foremost in my life. Right now is not a good time for me, otherwise believe me I'd be all over you. I'm glad you said something, though. I feel the same way only I'm not sure how often I'd be able to get much time off or away from my Pipers.'

Vivienne constantly on his mind didn't help either. He needed to work out what was going on with them before even attempting to carry on with Kai, as much as he liked her. Brig frowned slightly, trying to push Viv back out of his thoughts.

'I'm glad this is out in the open.'
The Pipers 13 years ago
Chester 'Charlie' Hammond walked into the kitchen area gingerly touching the sunburn on the back of his neck. He had forgotten his SPF 80 sunscreen that morning and suffered the consequences of it, even though he wore his protective under-armor shirt that had SPF 50 weaved into the material. His red neck gave new meaning to the term, and as he enjoyed the coolness of his shower, it still hurt like a motherfucker just twisting his neck.

Shoulders slumped, he slowly turned the corner and surveyed the scene, hoping to catch the LT if not some of the other Pipers having lunch. At a little after one in the afternoon, he probably already missed them, but he did recognize the faint, new scent of the pack's guest. Circling wide, so not to bother her, Charlie moved around the tables, toward the buffet, hoping to catch Vivienne Sena's eye, but she stared off in front of her, spinning her pen in her right hand, making it circle above her fist with the flick of her index finger. Grabbing some cooked food - ham sandwich, potato salad, green vegetables, and after doubling back for another half sandwich, he took his tray and walked slowly up to her table. Charlie watched the slow smile tug at her lips as she unfocused her eyes and looked up at him.

'Miss Sena, I hope....'

'Charlie, please call me Viv.'

'I'm not interrupting. Oh, Miss Viv, then.'

'No, just Viv,' she said with a lazy smile.

He pointed to a chair at her table and she held up her hand in response, straightening up in her chair politely. Charlie offered her the other half of his sandwich, to which Miss Sena, rather, Viv shook her head. Her lap top had been opened in front of her, along with her other gadgets. Viv locked her computer and then closed it, putting it to sleep. She then gave him her 100% attention and looked at him with her brown eyes.

Nervously he fidgeted with his food, but finally succumbed to his hunger and took a huge bite out of his sandwich. Chewing through the food, he remembered he had forgotten something to drink. Swallowing, he began to stand when Miss Viv held her hand out to stop him.

'What'll ya have?' She asked as she stood.

'Oh, water?'

Charlie watched as Vivienne pushed back from the table and walked off to get him something to drink.
This would be a good a time as any to interview the Sergeant, although she had not planned on talking to him first. Viv had wanted to start from the bottom of the totem pole up to get a perspective on Piper leadership, but given the opportunity that one of them would sit down with her, she definitely wouldn't let it pass her by.

Speaking of passing by, Viv showed no outward interest as Brig and his female lunch date moved across the kitchen area to the buffet and then left to the deck. Outwardly, no, but inwardly? She obsessed on it completely, much to her dislike. Brig's scent mixed with the cherry blossom softness of his companion and wondered who she was to him. Well, Viv could guess, but she still depressed herself with what the girl was to him. For the moment, she let it go.

Returning with a glass of water, plus a coke for herself, Viv set the glass in front of Charlie who took a healthy gulp in between inhaling his sandwich. She saw the redness of his neck and winced at it.

'That gives new meaning to red neck, you know.'

Charlie reached up and touched his sore skin. 'Yeah,' he mumbled unhappily.

Viv considered her line of questioning. Charlie had come down to sit with her for a reason, other than Viv being a pretty girl. Leaning forward, resting her chin on her crossed arms on the table, she asked about his family in relation to the Hammerthynns and the Jamesons, and let Charlie tell his own story.
Kai 13 years ago
Kai reached out and cupped his face with her hand. "That's okay, Brig. I can't guarantee my own schedule most days, and I must say I am incredibly selfish of my time alone. Not to mention, I've made some friends and would like to spend time with them as well."

She gave his cheek a pat and went back to her food. After putting a bite of her salad in her mouth she pointed to fork at him. "You know, I wouldn't mind doing the friends with benefits thing. That way there's not the sticky break up thing if you or I finds someone significant."

It was a bit guy of her, but she didn't mind that so much. She just hadn't been the attachment type.
Brig raised his eyebrows at her 'friends with benefits' suggestion.

'Call me old fashion, but that would seem too disrespectful. You deserve better than my occasional attention, even if it does satisfy needs AND is your idea.'

He looked at Kai, all golden and beautiful in the sun. Was he just stupid or blind? Maybe a little of both. Leaning back in his chair, he draped his around the back of hers and enjoyed the flattery.
Kai 13 years ago
She shrugged a bit. "Maybe, but the way I see it, it keeps us both from worrying about the needs of the other. On the other hand, it would be my first try at it, and I have no idea if I can keep emotion separate."

Leaning back in her chair, she rested her head on his arm. "I've never been big on attachments, but then that's probably because I'm never in one place long."

Kai sighed, and pulled her legs up into the chair. "I don't know much in this area, Brig. But what I do know is that I'm not ready for serious. So what do we do?"
Brig mimicked her shrug as she laid her head onto his arm. Her softness didn't belong on the starchiness of his uniform, but the warmth of her body was satisfying. His tongue captured his bottom lip, sucking it in to gently bite on when he looked back at her. Reaching up with his other hand, he cupped her face as he leaned in close to kiss her deeply, and sadly, for the last time.

Pulling away after a long moment, he brought his lips to her ear and whispered,
'Keep that to remember me by when you do find that someone, where ever he may be.'
Kai 13 years ago
Her eyes fluttered closed as she savored his lips on hers. She wasn't surprised, not really. They had sparked, and it had been fun, but Kai was a big girl and understood how the world worked.

She was surprised to feel moisture on her lashes, as she opened her eyes and smiled up at Brig.
"I will."

She sighed softly and touched his cheek again. "You'll forgive me for running away? But I think I need to be alone."

She stood and leaned down to press her lips to his lightly. "We'll still be friends I hope."

She smiled, and walked down off the porch, leaving her bags beside the table sure in their safety, across the lawn and into the woods. Slipping into a clump of bushes, she slipped off her clothes, and let the change come over her. She was sad and her wolf was much better at expressing it than she was. Once she stood on four legs, a soft keening kind of howl lifted her muzzle, and then she was off tearing through the woods, losing herself in the push and pull of her muscles.

((ooc Kai out))
Brig dropped his arms as Kai took off for the treeline, leaving her things behind. The lunch crowd had begun to disperse, leaving him alone on the deck to watch after her, feeling the guilt rise up into his gullet. Her soft howl drifted out of the woods as he heard her wolf form tear through the trees.

Sitting forward, he rested his elbows onto his knees and rubbed his hands over his face and along the back of his neck. Being with Kai for that short time had taken the tension out of his neck and shoulders, but now it returned again, reminding him of his irritation with everything around him, including his stupid decisions.

'Fuck,' he muttered angrily as he roughly ran his hands back through his hair. Standing he straightened his BDU jacket and stalked off the deck, back toward the kitchen area entrance.

A familiar soft chuckling floated by him from deeper inside the dining area. Moving further in, he spotted his Sergeant sitting with Vivienne. A few pack members were sitting in tables, but none near by Viv and Charlie. Slowly he walked over as his Sergeant laughed louder, Viv smiling hugely at him as they shared a joke. Viv's eyes flicked over to him as Brig closed the distance, leaning back in her chair casually.

'Charlie.' His Sergeant turned around and noticed his Commander for the first time.

'Commander,' Charlie said standing quickly.

'Done with lunch?' This wasn't so much a question as an order to leave the table. Charlie understood without question and nodded. Turning back to Viv, he bowed slightly and grinned at her.

'Enjoyed talking with you, Viv.'

Brig bristled at Charlie's familiarity with someone who technically held the same authority as Piper leadership. His irritation no doubt apparent on his face as his Sergeant took his food trays and left.

Viv fingered an earring, a small diamond stud Brig noticed for the first time, and said a soft goodbye to Charlie as he walked away. They looked at each other for a moment before she flicked her eyes down to the empty seat Charlie vacated. Brig slipped off his BDU jacket and hung it neatly on the back of the chair. As he settled into it, he reached out and pulled Viv's lap top closer to him.
Watching him saunter over to their table made her toes curl, but she kept her face neutral and uncaring when she really wanted to lick the Commander from head to toe. Pushing those thoughts aside, she smiled and murmured a good bye to the Sergeant as he was summarily dismissed by his commanding officer. Viv tugged at her diamond stud in her left ear, giving silent permission for the Commander to take up Charlie's dispensed seat. She was not surprised to see him reach out for her lap top and pull it closer for inspection. As if...

Viv's hand disengaged from her earring and came down on her lap top quickly, stopping its quickly traveling path toward the Commander. They gripped opposite edges, both glaring at one another. She figured this was the game they'd play during the day, in front of others or alone, as she just realized they were by the scant sound of far away foot steps filtered into the dining area. She pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes at him. Brig held onto it for a moment before finally lifting his long fingers off the silver lap top.

'Something in there you don't want me to see?' Brig asked in a firm voice.

'Only message boards about angry crayons and porn. A girl's gotta keep some secrets.' Viv drew out the last syllable of 'secrets' and pulled her lap top further away from him and off to the side. 'If you're interested in my conversation with your Sergeant, you need only wait for the report, Commander, but I don't think you'd find our discussion all that interesting.'

'Really,' he said. It wasn't a question, but his fingertips slowly tapping on the table top accentuated the tension between them. She literally felt the vibration deep in her center and she tried not to stare at his long, callused fingers.

'Really, really,' Viv replied. Propping her elbow on the table top, she rested her chin in her hand. 'Did you know that Charlie knew a little magic?'

Brig nodded once, searching her face with his crisp, blue eyes.

'Would you be surprised if I told you that one of the hobbies that at least half the global Pipers have in common is magic?'

'Not really,' he replied in a monotone voice.

Viv watched the tells in his face, gauging the curves of his wrinkles in his forehead and quiver of his lips. His fingers continued strumming on the table top and she finally looked down at them. His nails were short and clean, his cuticles worn but not distressed with splits. His uniform was impeccable and the creases sharp enough to cut, she wagered, but his hair....

'Got a quarter?'
His fingers stopped strumming on the table when she asked for a quarter. Viv was watching him, her eyes searching his face and it felt like invisible fingers as she did it. The tension in his shoulders tightened, but not with the irritation that had begun to set in outside. Her directness was unexpected but her answers were always tinged with sarcasm. Brig listened to the inflection of her voice as he tried to understand the thin line between her sense of humor and professionalism. Viv used her friendliness to enrapture people's attention instead of her sex appeal. Her smile was infectious and her charm undeniable...and damn if it didn't annoy him.

With a wary look he pulled his hand back and dug into his pants pocket. Pulling out some change, he held his hand out to Vivienne.
'What, the Australian quarter not good enough?'

Snorting softly Viv replied, '.88 against the US dollar, but if the Canadian dollar can kick its ass, I'm hopeful.' She picked up a quarter and held it up with her index finger and thumb. Brig pocketed the rest of the change and watched as she passed her hand over the quarter and it disappeared.

'Wow. Magic.' His tone was unimpressed.

'Philistine,' Viv murmured.

Brig scooted his chair closer to her so their knees almost touched as she held up both hands and flashed them, front and back, to him. He looked at them briefly before looking at her brown eyes with rings of gold.

'Am I suppose to...' Brig started before she cut him off and slid forward in her chair, her knees pressed up against his. Immediately he felt the tension in his shoulder dissipate, traveling down his body and making his skin break out in goosebumps. He maintained the slightly disinterested look as she reached out with her right hand and leaned almost into his lap. He felt his mouth open as she touched the back of his neck and ran her fingers down the inside of his black under-armor shirt. She dragged her fingernails down his neck to his collar bone and then sat back into her chair, her right hand flashing the quarter again. Viv rolled the quarter along the back of her fingers and back in between her index finger and thumb.
Viv's close proximity was making the Commander nervous, but more importantly it was distracting him from what she had really planned on doing.

'No one calls you Brian ever, do they?'

Brig looked at her, his adam's apple moving up and down before he answered her with a shake of his head. She watched his reaction, trying to get a baseline.

'You're one hundred and ten years old, right?' Viv made the quarter disappear again and she laid her left hand on the table next to him, palm down.

He nodded in agreement to her question.

Lifting her hand, the quarter reappeared again. His eyes flicked quickly to the quarter and he flashed a smile at her. Viv felt her heart stop but she continued on, pointing at the quarter.
'Put your hand down on top of it.'

Brig did as he was told and immediately put his hand over the quarter. Viv reached out and touched the top of his hand with hers and gripped his wrist. Brig clenched his jaw as he stared at their hands, but Viv continued to watch him as she slowly slid his hand off the table and onto her right hand, clasping both their hands together. She wrapped her fingers around his hand like a handshake and he mimicked the move as he looked into her eyes with his bright blue ones.

'Where's the quarter?' Viv asked quietly.

'In my hand,' he said in a voice that sent a tremor through her body.

'Is it?'

Brig looked down at their hands and he uncurled his fingers, releasing her hand, albeit reluctantly. He turned his palm over and then turned her hand, opening it. Viv lifted her hands again, flashing both the front and the back of each.

'So where's the quarter?' Viv asked again with a grin, very aware that their legs were resting against each other, undoubtedly leaving each others scent behind.

Brig leaned forward and shrugged. Reaching out, Viv touched Brig's longer than normal hair and ran her fingers through it, making his eyes flutter close with her touch. She dragged her fingernails along his scalp, behind his ear, and then along the edge of his formidable jaw. Flicking her fingers, she produced the quarter again between her tips of her index and middle finger.

'Slight of hand magic is fun, Commander. Everyone loves magic and I've found that men who become Pipers, if far enough away from the direct Hammerthynn line, tend to use magic to bring brightness into their lives. Plus it works great on the opposite sex. Or so I'm told.' Viv stood slowly, reaching across the table to grab her things when she felt Brig's fingers brush against her thigh as she moved back.

'I'll have my report on your desk by tomorrow,' she said turning away. Then she stopped and snapped her fingers. 'I mean your work email, by the way.'