The night shift (att: Ambrose)

Diane sighed and shifted in her seat at the front desk. Looking up at the clock she noted it was half past ten. With an hour and a half left to be open and not a soul in sight she had to wonder why they stayed open this late every Thursday. Bastian had said it was the only way to compete when the city ran 24 hours. It made her wonder just who all these night owls were that they coudln't have their pets serviced in the day time like everyone else. Still it was only one day a week that they were open later than the usual so she didn't complain too much. Mostly it all took place in her head.

No one had come in since eight o'clock and Bastian was still out of town. Mostly she had spent the time on Hulu watching the first season of Son's of Anarchy. Jax Teller was hot and she wasn't afraid to watch and rewatch the episodes so she could oogle at him. The man wore white tennis shoes on a harley and never got a speck of dirt on them. It was improbable but added to his take no shit, not even from dirt, attitude.

Standing up to stretch Diane hit pause on the computer and stepped into the back to check on the overnight animals. It was doubtful that anyone would walk in at the very moment anyways and she wasn't too worried that she wouldn't hear them if they did.

Ambrose 13 years ago
He'd done some reading up on werewolves in the Helford library and didn't feel completely ignorant but he sure as hell didn't feel prepared either. Still Ambrose liked to look his opponent in the eye, hokey but true.

It had taken him weeks and a number of false leads but he was fairly certain he'd found the odd duck he'd met in the woods. He still wasn't 100% sure he was looking to learn here but he wasn't able to leave well enough alone either.

He'd borrowed some incredibly fancy tack from a friend of his every last part of it was covered with silver. The saddle was uncomfortable for him, and he was a bit edgy not haven't the specially designed stirrup and saddle Belle had given him. But if he was flushing out a werewolf he wanted as much silver as he could. Hell he'd even put on a ring and a chain.

Using Midnight as cover he'd driven about half way to this clinic and then rode the rest of the way. Just to warm her up and so if he asked for a vet certification for a competition it would be a reasonable request. And he'd have to wait around for her to cool down a bit.

He'd stashed a gun, complete silver bullets, in a shoulder holster under a jacket. Ambrose was satisfied it wouldn't be seen, god knew he had enough practice concealing weapons.

Deciding he was as prepared as possible he trotted into the yard.

"Any body home?"Â?
Diane 13 years ago
Seemingly pleased that everyone was well fed and watered, Diane leashed up Ted the old Weimaraner for one last walk for the evening. As they stepped outside Diane heard someone call out and she jerked her head up in surprize.

The large flood light was behind her and she saw the black and white familiar horse trotting up before she really saw who was on it's back. As she focused on the man's, face a thread of panic needled through her chest. If Ted noticed her unease he didn't show it as he sat down at her feet and looked uniterested.

'No reason to be alarmed' She told herself. 'No reason at all. He's just a man with a horse at a vet clinic. Just because I ran into him in the middle of the woods and now he's here doesn't mean a thing. Maybe his vet is out of town.'

Speaking out loud, Diane raised her arm in a wave to call him over.

"Hey! Come on over, is your horse ok?"

The horse didn't look to be laboring or in any pain and as he came closer she noticed his outlandish sadle. It was pretty fancy to be riding around in for exercise or enjoyment. Diane checked to see if the rider happened to be wearing rhinestones as well.

"Ambrose and Midnight right? What brings you two out here?"

She turned on the pleasantries and casual easy going attitude more for herself than for Ambrose.
Ambrose 13 years ago
OK all the sliver was probably over kill and probably look odd in the middle of no where this late at night especially when he didn't even know if this woman was a werewolf. But she could be and she could be part of that pack of them he'd seen a while back. And Ambrose had never been accused of bringing a knife to a gun fight.

He was impressed with Diane's memory if nothing else. But remembering people and their animals was probably an occupational must for her.

"You got it. Diane, fancy meeting you here."Â?

Walking Midnight yup to where she'd called him and dismounted. Ambrose hopped there was a mounting block around. He'd manage without but he'd be happier with.

"Our usual vet is out of town,"Â? He lied easily, "and I completely forgot to get a vet to sign off on this for an event we're ridding Saturday."Â?

Ambrose pulled a paper out of one of the saddle bags, it was a standard vet check for a reigning competition that Saturday. He wasn't entered, but the event was real. No one could say Ambrose didn't plan ahead.
Diane 13 years ago
She rose her eybrow skeptically.

"So you came all the way out here? Well unfortunately for you, our vet is out of town as well. Sounds like they are both at the same convention. I stand in and keep the place running for him but I'm not exactly qualified to do major things. Now if your cats nail is growing into the pad of his foot I can fix that for you."

Diane pointed a thumb over her shoulder. Just outside the glow of the flood light there were three tie off posts. She had always thought they were hokey and semi western movie props, but people rode their horses in more often than you would think and they came in handy.

"I can look Midnight over for you if you want, if that helps. I may not be too legit but I can tell you if somethings off or not. Then maybe you can have the vet on staff at the race sign off on Saturday."

She couldn't be sure until she got closer but that flashy saddle may be a problem. If it was silver there was no way she'd be able to take it off the horse without touching some part of it and while she wasn't going to burst into flames, the pain would be pretty decent. If that was the case, she'd play the exspensive item excuse and get him to remove it himself.

Maybe this was a test from Trayce. Maybe he had sent the guy back up here to see how she'd handle it this time around. Damn bastard was probably watching from the trees now.

She scanned the area with her eyes, looking for anything but came back with nothing.
Ambrose 13 years ago
"It really wasn't all that far out of the way and I'd heard ya'll kept late hours one day a week .."Â?

Ambrose shrugged not willing to over justify himself. He didn't, however, have to pretend to look put out the vet wasn't in. Ambrose would have liked a look at this guy, found out if he knew he was employing a potential werewolf.

Werewolf. Hell Ambrose wasn't sure he believed it yet. But he was damned sure going to find out if he could. Too bad he hadn't gotten a better look at the ones taking on Rashid.

"Damned that does put a dent in things."Â?

But he still tied Midnight. Diane was his target, although he'd prefer she not be overly aware of that.

"Yeah why don't you give her a quick once over tonight. I've still got one day I might be able to get a recommendation and get into see some one tomorrow."Â?

He grinned. It was a friendly open expression with a good amount of humor in it.

"All the vets in the city can't be out of town at once can they?"Â?
Diane 13 years ago
She nodded in agreeance.

"That we do. Not many of the vet's in town do that and we have to compete some how. Although I was wondering who on earth would wait so late in the night for vet care."

Of course she was well aware that vampire exsisted but she couldn't fathom one of those blood suckers taking care of a chinchilla or love birds. Besides why would Bastian want to accomodate vampires? Her best guess was they stayed open for the occasional emergencies that came through after hours elsewhere.

"And now I know." She smiled sarcastically.

Even if she was only a quater convinced that Ambrose had actually came here for the reasons he stated, Diane still felt bad that Bastian was out of town. She also felt a little aprehensive as she was once again alone with the man in the dark, along ways from other people.

"No I would hope not! Maybe it was a large animal convention and the inner city vet's weren't invited." His grin made her want to do the same and she did before eyeing his horeses adornments once more.

"Let me put Ted back inside as it seems he really isn't up for a walk anyways. If you'd like you can go ahead and take your saddle off for me. I will be right back."

Without waiting for his reply, Diane tugged gently on Ted's leash and led him back inside the clinic. After she secured him in his cage she went about collecting a few items she thought she would need. Slipping a scalple into her pocket, she spied the heavy brown suede work gloves Bastian used in the stables and grabbed them. Stepping back outside she looked to see if Ambrose had pulled the saddle off or not.

"How are we doing?"
Ambrose 13 years ago
"I'm a musician. I tend to work nights so these sorts of hours are the norm for me. I'm not sure she approves too much."Â?

Ambrose fondly pet Midnight's neck. He couldn't help but be fond of the mare. Belle had found him the perfect horse for him. And Ambrose considered Midnight one of the three best horses he'd ever owned, legally or illegally.

"Convention is Latin for 'big waste of time'."Â?

He said with a grin as Diane went to put the pooch away. It didn't surprise him that she was angling him to take the saddle off. He wanted to play the bum leg card and get Diane to handle it, but he couldn't make it natural. More to the point he couldn't swallow his pride.

He was actually surprised she hadn't said anything about it. The saddle was a work of art and more than a little unusual. It should have drawn a comment or two. Unless, maybe, she was trying a little too hard to be casual about all that silver he reasoned as he pulled it off Midnight's back and set it on the hitching posts.

One way or another he'd find a way to try out his silver theory if he had to throw the girl into the saddle.

"No worries here. Really this is just a formality, she's sound but you know how paper work is."Â?
Diane 13 years ago
Diane slipped one of the big brown gloves on and stood on her tip toes under the flood light, angling it so itproduced more light by the horse. Walking up to the horse she ran her hand along the silky back, pleased there weren't any sores. She hadn't really anticipated any, specially not if he had such an elaborate saddle as he did.

"Your a musician you said? What kind of music? Now becareful, if you tell me your into R & B I'm not going to believe you and then I'll remember how long a conversation we had about serial killers." she commented letting him know that she didn't fully trust his story.

As she slowly made her way around the mare, she noted the animal was in top condition. Now horses weren't her favorite animal nor was she that knowledgable about them but she could tell if one was sick in a pinch. Midnight well taken care of and it showed.

Diane's eyes flicked back over to the saddle as she came closer. It was shinier than a collectors spoon at an auction and she had to wonder what in the world he was doing riding with it on now. She debated asking him about it, but if it was silver she didn't want the off chance he'd want her to touch it for some reason.

"She looks really good to me. Once again I'm sorry I'm not an official signature or anything. How does she do with the changing of sleep schedules? I didn't think they competed in the late evenings. You wont want to keep her up all night riding through parks if she has a big day following."

Diane ducked under the horses head and stood up straight. She was on the same side of the horse as Ambrose and was still wearing the one glove.
Ambrose 13 years ago
Gloves? Ambrose decided he was right. Diane was hiding something and he really thought it had to do with the saddle and all the sliver. But he'd dwell on it later. Instead he just laughed.

"I play a little of everything. I play back up for who ever needs it. Metal, jazz, blues you name it I've played it. It isn't as glamorous as it sounds."Â?

OK so she was suspicious, so what. He didn't care. Hell it only reenforced the idea that she had something to hide. Since he found her he wasn't in a hurry, there was no need to push now. Nope, he could just do some good old fashion research and surveillance.

It was hard to tell exactly what she knew about horses, it wasn't like Midnight had anything wrong with her. But she seemed to know more or less what she was looking for.

"No worries there. The class we're signed up for is late in the evening and generally she gets the next day off."Â?

Ambrose had never paid much attention to horse shows or rodeos. The waif, Belle's little familiar, had proved to be an excellent resource for this kind of knowledge. He'd actually considered bringing the girl with him to relieve any possible tension.
Diane 13 years ago
The idea of Ambrose standing on the stage with a death metal band brought a quirky smile to her face. Mildly Diane wondered if he also dressed the part on those gigs. If so, she would definately pay to see him with a mohawk and eyeliner at a punk show.

"Ah, the starving artist type. I've seen your kind in the movies. No glamor no fame but a lot of hardwork. Although you seem to be doing well enough to keep sweet Midnight here in top shape. The vet has some good looking horses himself. I wonder if you two have met at competitions before."

Diane wasn't ready yet to refer to Bastian as anything other than her boss. She didn't really know this man and she had a bad habit of being too open. Until she figured out if he was completely harmless she would try not to volunteer too much of her own personal information.

"Well that's good. I'm sure you know she'd perform poorly with the lack of sleep. They aren't too much different than us. Really we are all just animals."

Truth be told, Diane had thought that before she ever became more animalistic herself. Humans were just as bad as some of the shifters and vamps she had run into. Honestly she couldn't figure out who were on top in the moral hierarchy.
Ambrose 13 years ago
Ambrose would like to meet the guy. Just the possibility that he might know if Diane was a werewolf... hell he'd like to know if she called in sick over the full moon or if she just looked like she hadn't slept the day after. Sure it could be a bust, the guy might know nothing, but it was a lead.

"Oh probably not. I don't compete much, and just the bush league events any way. He's probably out of my class."Â?

He was working very hard at being relaxed and approachable. It wasn't a terrible stretch for him, he could be personable when the situation called for it. So far it seemed to be working. Although, he couldn't quite figure out how to get her to open up any more.

"Absolutely. Oh don't worry she can't talk but I listen, they have lots of ways of telling you when they aren't at their best. Isn't that right girl?"Â?

Ambrose firmly pet her shoulder as he made his way back to the saddle. He didn't pick it up though. He wanted Diane to take those damned gloves off.
Diane 13 years ago
"Hm, I'll have to ask him. I'm not sure on how involved he gets with it. Did I mention I was a cat lady? Basically that's what I boil down to. I can curl up with a cat, read a good book, watch a little TV. Horses aren't good for spooning at least in my opinion."

Bastain had been gone for a while and she hardly remembered teh last time he had taken the horses somewhere public. They had a lot of acreage and it suited all their needs well.

Diane watched him move towards the saddle. Feeling a little awkward she shifted on her feet.

"Do you need another saddle for the ride home? We've got extra's that won't be missed. I'm sure your show saddle isn't the most comfortable thing on the planet. To be honest I'm surprized your out on it now."

She thought back on the first time she encountered him, trying to remember if he had the same saddle on then. She hadn't focused on that detail at all that night and now she couldn't pull it up from memory.
Ambrose 13 years ago
"Yeah, but a cat is no kind of partner."Â?

Ambrose lounged against the tie off, absently rubbing Midnight's nose when she shoved it into his chest.

"They do everything on their schedule. Hell most of them don't care if you live or die. I'll stick to a horse. Although, I will admit they don't fit on the end of the bed so well."Â?

Finally, a reaction to the saddle. She seemed uncomfortable, or maybe nervous when she looked at or spoke about it. Maybe Diane had been hoping if she ignored it, it would go away.

As pleased as he was to now have a potential advantage Ambrose remained casual and nonchalant.

"Actually, it isn't mine. I'm thinking about buy it and he let me borrow it for a few days see how I felt about it. Its more comfortable than you might think. Why don't you try it out?"Â?
Diane 13 years ago
Diane laughed and rubbed the back of her hand acrossed her eyebrow.

"That's true but that's what makes them perfect partners. They don't need you, they just want you. You don't have to spend the greater portion of your day reassuring them."

Ambrose was definately not a cat person Diane concluded. Maybe it was the crazy cat lady living inside of her, but she would choose a cat or 4 over most humans.

Diane still found it odd that he would be testing out the saddle that much to the point where he'd use it for "work" and "show". When he suggested she try it out, she couldn't figure out which alarmed her more; getting up on the horse or planting her butt on that shiney surface. Sure she was wearing pants and that would protect her skin for a short time if it were silver but then to be up top on the horse? What if it moved? What if she couldn't control this guys horse and it took off because she had spooked it. That screamed liability and a terrible time for her.

"Well, I'm sure its more comfortable than it appears to be but I make certain not to climb up on any horses that I don't know. As a matter of fact I don't climb up on many horses at all. Don't tell Midnight but being that high up and moving scares the crap out of me. I like being on my own feet respectively."

She eyeballed the horse with all its thick muscles and raw power. Nope, she wasn't climbing up there.

"I'll have to take your word for it. Plus I'd hate to mark up the saddle before you decide to purchase it."
Ambrose 13 years ago
Ambrose just shook his head. There was no understanding a cat lover. Thank god Belle only kept horses, well and the waif. The chica, however, was a bit different yet.

"Call me crazy I like a bit of loyalty in my partners whether they be two footed or four."Â?

Damned it, she worked for a vet, a vet that dealt with large animals and had no issues handling Midnight but she was afraid to mount up? That just didn't add up to him at all. It was like a pilot being afraid of a plane.

"You sure? She's gentle as a kitten and it isn't like you'd be taking her on a 20 mile trek just a little ride and I'll be right here. I can even lead her if you'd like."Â?

He said all this gently, enticingly, coaxingly. After all, Ambrose had only her best interests at heart. Everyone should learn how to ride a horse after all.

"Don't worry about the saddle, it's fancy but not too delicate."Â?

Ambrose gave her a cheerful boyish grin.
Diane 13 years ago
Diane was really not liking where this was going. The last thing she wanted was to get up on the horse, for numerous reasons. If fear wasn't working then she'd switch to liability. Besides that wasn't such a long stretch from the truth.

"Ya I'm sure. My better half still hasn't convinced me to do more than sit on the oldest mare we have who barely moves. Plus, if something happens to your horse while I'm on it there's a big concern for the practise. Legalities and stuff you know how it goes."

She turned her palms upward and gave a little shrug. Hoping to pass off the ' my hands are tied' bit. She did step closer to the saddle and bent to get a better look. This she did for two reasons. One, to get a better look at the metal to determine it's make up and two, to hopefully placate Ambrose.

"It sure is beatiful though. It's very detail oriented. Why is your friend selling it? It looks like a one of a kind."
Ambrose 13 years ago
Honestly, Ambrose didn't buy that for a minute. Sure it was possible she was scared to ride, or just didn't like it. But he'd made up his mind that it was the silver keeping her off the horse, it was the reason she had the gloves on too, and nothing was going to change his mind.

He just shrugged his shoulders at her and started to resaddle Midnight.

"If you change your mind you let me know. It really is good for you."Â?

Physically, mentally, psychologically, riding was good for you. For Ambrose it was a huge thing to have four good legs under him.

The ornate saddle was heavy, but he lifted it with no effort and set it gently down on the mare's back.

"Trading up if you can believe it. He's got a lead on a flashier one, happens to be an antique too, the real deal."Â?
Diane 13 years ago
Diane stepped back so that she was out of Ambrose's way as he set about resaddling Midnight. She observed his ease at the task and noted the care he took as he placed it on the animals back. It made her wonder if there were other were animals out there and if this guys horse wasn't one them. She wanted to say that idea was absurd but then again she was real and so were disgusting vampires. Oh the possibilities found in story books were never ending now. Shaking the clouds out of her head Diane stepped around Midnight.

"I can't imagine anything flashier than that. To be honest I did check to see if you were also wearing rhinestones on your back when you first rode up."

A thought occured to her and her eyes flicked back to the glass clinic door.

"Wait right here a minute will you? I've got something for ya."

Entering back into the clinic Diane pulled off her glove and tossed the pair on to the counter. As she went around the front desk she leaned around the door frame and reached into the little cardboard box that sat on the ledge. Pulling out a suitable color, Diane took the dark furry object and looked it over. If anything this would help solidify her previous story in woods. If Ambrose was still suspcious of her and that was why he was here now, checking out her alleged vet job, then maybe this would also foster her some credability.

Rushing backing outside she walked back to Ambrose with her arm outstretched. In her palm was a small black rabbits foot on a copper chain.

"Here, take this for good luck with your competition. Not all that many black rabbits in this area anymore so it's luckier than the other ones I've made."
Ambrose 13 years ago
Ambrose half snorted half laughed at that idea. He didn't do -any- kind of flashy dressing. Hell this saddle was enough and he was making Midnight wear that. He wouldn't be caught dead in it if there hadn't been a good reason.

"My girl would think I'd taken leave of my senses. She'd probably think I was a pod person and lock me out of the house."Â?

But in a very polite and gentle way. He might pay money to see that. Maybe, just maybe, he'd give it a try some night to see what her reaction would be. The waif, on the other hand, would no doubt laugh her ass off.

Diane darted back into the office and he kept tacking up, he was checking the chinch when she came back. He accepted the offered rabbit's foot with a grin, which turned into a laugh.

He was still convinced that wasn't all she was doing out in the preserve that night. But maybe it was part of it, he doubted she kept rabbits' feet about just in case he showed up. Besides, Ambrose always carried a rabbit's foot.

"Thank you ma'am. I appreciate it and I can use any little bit of help I can get."Â?

He couldn't help but notice the chain was copper. Not that most people used silver or gold for a rabbit's foot, but any little clue would due.

He attached the foot to his key chain, with the other, a very old very battered brown one. It had more value as an antique than as a good luck charm any more but he hadn't found a good replacement. That done he unhitched Midnight lead her to a mounting block and hoisted himself up.

His mounting had improved a great deal and Midnight never gave him trouble for mounting from the wrong side. She was well used to it by now. While his jeans kept it covered the movement of his prosthetic was obviously stiff and slightly awkward, especially when compared to the ease the rest of his body preformed that small task.

"Thank you for giving her a look over then Diane."Â?
Diane 13 years ago
Diane felt a little ease as Ambrose accepted the rabbits foot. Maybe that is what he had come looking for this late at night with his horse in a crazy saddle. Maybe he had come to check her credability, thank god she had remembered to at least pull one of those out.

Thankful that he hadn't called her out on working at a animal clinic yet killing animals for their body parts. It was ironic but orignally she had taken this job both as a favor and to do something more than wait tables. It hadn't been her life long goal, hell if anything it gave her more of an idea on the animals she could chase and hunt. Sure she liked animals, but a lot of them were also delicious.

"No problem. I see you've already got one, now I feel less superstitious and crazy."

Watching AMbrose mount Midnight made her raise an eyebrow. For someone as strong as he appeared to be he sure mounted weird. First it was the wrong side, second something else about it was off, it seemed labored. She couldn't put her finger on it and she certainly wasn't going to ask the man. As the pair came back around Diane relaxed her face into a warm smile.

"Once again, it's no problem. I'm sorry I couldnt do more. Good luck at the competition." she added cheerfully.

Still not quite trusting the man, Diane decided that once he left she'd follow behind him to make sure he was completely off the property. One surprize appearance by a vampire and then a were was enough for her and it had her jumpy.