A return home

Thaddeus had every intention of retrieving his fencing gear and a few other items from the Manor quickly, then leaving immediately. A confrontation could be uncomfortable now; he was not sure how much might be known about his visit to the House of Pain. The fact that no message had arrived from Morrigan, summoning him to her office at once, told him that perhaps his secret was still safe, but there was no reason to take risks.

When did it become The Manor? When did you stop calling it home?

Thaddeus frowned, and pushed that thought aside for later. Still, to find it dangerous to return to the place he had lived so long was somewhat galling to him; he was beginning to realize the pain keeping a secret, even a wonderful one, would cause.

But there was one person with whom there were no secrets, and it was she that he sought out in the Japanese Gardens that night. He stepped into the tranquil area, then stopped and pulled the mobile phone from his pocket, turning it off with his thumb, habitually.

He was learning, he supposed.

He headed in the direction of the footbridge in the center.

Mai 18 years ago
Mai sniffed the air for the rabbit. It went this way, she was sure of it. She kept her senses, close not using them to track down the prey. It would be too easy, this was about the old days, smelling the fear, hearing the movement. Mai felt it only fair, otherwise it would be over all too quickly.

Her eyes were covered by a red blindfold that she sometimes wore and her kimono for the evening was actually black with a inner lining of red. She ran up towards the small bridge and stopped short. A small sniff of the air and a tilt of her head sideways was all the was needed, Ba-di had come home.

She smiled, taking the rest of the distance in a more graceful manner and came up to stand next to him.

"Okaerinasai Ba-di-kun"

((OOC: okaerinasai means welcome home basically))
Thaddeus Grey 18 years ago
My Mai.

Thaddeus relaxed his shoulders, letting go of the tension he did not realize he was holding until now. He looked down at his friend in her black kimono and smiled warmly.

How could he have thought home was anywhere but here?

He took in the sight of her, with the red blindfold, and noticed the red edges of the kimono for the first time. He shivered, remembering that river of blood staining the hem of his pants, before realizing that the garment was simply lined in red silk, and wondered when his mind had turned so morbid.

I've missed you so much. I am glad we found each other.

Well, truth be told, she had found him. He had simply known where to go in order to be found.

It has been...strange, without you.

That was the understatement of his life.

Not in entirely unpleasant ways, but...he felt his jaw tighten...I've -missed- you, he repeated. All of his worries seemed to scramble into incoherence, replaced by the ache of being home and that fierce feeling that tugged in his chest when he saw her. He wanted nothing more than to tell her everything that had happened, everything he had done and what he was about to do, but the words refused to come, as though they could not bypass the lump in his throat.
Mai 18 years ago
Mai tilted her head down to the ground listening to her Ba-di, her hair falling forwards around her like a screen. He was upset. She was not as skilled in these things as some but she knew him well.

She took his hand gently and led him to one of the benches in the garden. For herself, she tucked the kimono neatly under her and knelt on the ground beside the seat.

"Ba-di-kun, I am always here when you need me." She tilted her head up and waited for him to say more. Whatever concerned him would come out in its own time.

((OOC: Permission granted to move Thaddeus))
They had sat this way more times than he could count, he on the bench with his elbows on his knees and his chin in his hands, her on the ground with her kimono tucked under her. The familiarity of that was bittersweet now.

"Ba-di-kun, I am always here when you need me."

And the floodgates opened, just as he knew they would given the time.

It's so different...being away from here. I'm afraid I'm changing, becoming so unlike myself that my home no longer fits me, that I will become someone I don't recognize. I've already done so many things...not evil things Mai, I promise you that, but things I would normally never do. And some might argue that it did me some good, and they may be right, but what I chose to avoid, to not take part in, defined me as much as what I chose to act upon. And now those definitions have become blurred in some way, blended, and when I come home, when I see you, it's alright again, I remember who I am, but those changes linger with me and even now I am thinking of all I must do when I leave again.

Thaddeus paused, somewhat shakily. He would never understand how Mai could make it easy to say even the hardest things, things he carried in his heart without even being aware.

There is still...much to do, much to resolve. And I don't know what I'll be at the end of this road.

He raked his fingers through his hair, not even realizing the gesture.

And in the midst of all of this, I may very well be falling for Alfarinn. Well, who am I kidding...Thaddeus laughed darkly...'may' doesn't really enter into it. And I can't see that as wrong, Mai. Even with the stakes being what they are...I just can't see it as wrong.

At last he stilled, bracing himself for whatever reaction, or lack of reaction, Mai might have. He never quite knew how she would respond to his ramblings, but she was generally right about the things she said. He just had to be listening.
Mai 18 years ago
Ah, so these are the things disturbing his peace. Mai smiled faintly, her Ba-di was growing so much lately but that was the way of things. Still in the winter and much growth in the summer, all at once before another time of rest. It was merely life. To be taken in stride.

"Ba-di-kun. You will always be you no matter where you go." She stood in front of him, head bowed as if listening to something only she could hear, hair blowing across the blindfold in the slight breeze. Slowly she reached out and placed a hand gently on his chest.

"Nothing stays still that is alive." Though this was the answer she had for his first concerns, she felt that he was more worried about the last statements.

Mai smiled and reached into Thaddeus's pocket where she knew he kept his small notebook. She pulled it out and took a sheet from the back before returning it to his pocket. Sitting on the bench next to him, Mai began to fold it as she spoke quietly, not looking up from the paper.

"Lonely is the dove that sings alone."

She smiled slightly, did they not see? Doves and Ravens mated for life. Once they found the perfect mate, there was no other choice. Both were simply following their nature. This was right.

" You must help him, Ba-di-kun." Looking up at him, she paused. "He needs you."

"and you need him."

She was silent while she continued her folding, eventually she placed the tiny birds on his knee. Two cranes touching beak to beak out of one piece of paper.
Thaddeus stilled all arguments from his mind as he let Mai's words wash over him.

Just listen.

At times this was a fight for him; some things he wanted to argue, as if his mind wished to be contentious for its own sake, but he kept quiet, and listened to every word.

When he didn't fight it, it all made such perfect sense, and offered such wonderful clarity.

He traced the outline of the cranes with one fingertip, thoughtfully, before carefully slipping it into his inside pocket.

Thank you, Mai.

Thaddeus paused.

I need you, too. Where would I be without you?

Thaddeus looked up to the stars, finding The Hunter in the sky and remembering the last time they spoke in these gardens. It seemed so long ago to him.

He sat, calm now in his thoughts, appreciating the stillness around him and at his side, for some time before speaking again.

I shouldn't stay...there are probably more than a few people here who have some questions I'm not fully ready to answer.

But I will come back home soon, my Mai.

Still, he did not stand to leave. Instead he stayed on the bench, trying to burn this moment into his mind, of himself and Mai in the gardens.

Something he could call up in harder times. Something he never wanted to forget.
Mai 18 years ago
She smiled at him and shook her head.

"Home is always with you, Ba-di-kun." The manor behind her was just a building, a place to sleep and sometimes she didn't even do -that- there. Mai defended it because so many of her clan used it as their living space and seemed so very attached to it. Like Thaddeus, but now that attachment was hurting him and it was misplaced in her mind.

Some might argue that she loved these gardens, and that would be so, but she would not mourn their loss if it were necessary to move on. Peace was found within, not without.

She stood up again and reached under the neckline of her clothing to find a red cord. Pulling the piece over her head, Mai held it up into the air, dangling its small jade turtle with two ivory etched beads knotted in place with a tassel on the end. This she carefully placed into Thaddeus's hand.

Smiling she said.

"Sorin-san never asked the right questions."
Thaddeus had expected to feel the odd disorientation that his psychometry typically brought when Mai placed the necklace in his hand. Instead, he felt a comforting warmth, and an overriding sense of tranquility. There was a sense of wisdom, older than old, with a history as deep as humanity itself, but now Thaddeus could feel only Mai, only that this belonged to her completely and utterly.

Looking up at her in confusion, he spoke, softly but firmly.

This belongs to you.
Mai 18 years ago
She nodded an affirmative.

"So that you may remember that you are not alone, Ba-di-kun."

Mai reached over and gently closed his fingers around the small turtle.
Thaddeus, understanding Mai's meaning, slipped the necklace over his neck, letting it drop down his shirt and over his heart.

Thank you. I will keep it safe.

He paused, hesitating, a hundred questions at the edge of his mind.

Just listen.

I should go. There is much to be done.
Mai 18 years ago
Mai nodded and turned towards one of the hedges.... the rabbit. She smiled slightly and squeezed Thaddeus on the shoulder before turning to slowly move up behind her prey.

((OOC: Mai out ))
Thaddeus watched Mai disappear into the night, and stayed still for several long moments after she left. He lifted the small jade turtle out from under his shirt, ran his thumb over the back once, and slipped it back in its place before rising at last to leave.

There was much to do. He would be dropping off the items he had picked up at The Manor and then meeting Alfarinn on the Strip to shop. They would need to make arrangements to obtain what they needed for the apartment investigation, and Thaddeus thought it was high time he finished getting the apartment in order.

It was a common misconception, Thaddeus felt, that those that have money enjoy going out into public to spend it. This had never been something Thaddeus thought much of...but then, he would be with Alfarinn. How bad could it be?

He made his way quietly out of the Manor, down the path, and out of sight.

/ooc Thaddeus out.