Growing Pains

Ridding sidesaddle wasn't anything Marie had ever anticipated learning. Her human family had been part of the rodeo. She had learned some team roping and had been shaping up to be a good barrel racer before... Marie still didn't like to think about it, her family's death. It didn't hurt as much as it had, she had Ysabel now.

Ysabel had taught her so much, and Marie loved her. It was hard to believe she'd been her for two years now. She didn't take anything of this time for granted and always did anything she could to help her vampire. It could be a little awkward simply because of her age, there were something she couldn't do. But she did her best.

Although, like tonight, sometimes there were compromises. She was ridding sidesaddle as Ysabel had insisted she learn, but she was also wearing jeans. Marie usually rode Adagio, the middle child of the Friesians. They'd proved to be a good match. He wasn't so green that she was out of her league but he wasn't so experienced she couldn't learn and grow as a rider.

Drawing to a even balanced halt, she looked to Ysabel for approval. But slightly nervous. She'd been a bit edgy in generally lately. She'd be graduating soon and was afraid Ysabel would make her leave and go to school. Marie couldn't bear the thought of having to leave.

Ysabel 13 years ago
Ysabel watched happily as Marie rode Adagio to a perfectly square stop. The two were well-suited to each other. Both were still growing, but Adagio was a mature enough mount not to cause Marie issues while still needing plenty of work. And under Marie's care, he was becoming a very versatile horse. Having unofficially given him to her young familiar, Ysabel hadn't tried to direct the course of Marie's riding and as a result the girl - well, young woman, really, had exposed him to all manner of riding; western, barrel racing, jumping, dressage... they both did a bit of everything.

Young woman. Ysabel knew Marie was going to grow. They'd made that deal back when they'd first met. When she turned 18 ysabel would have to decide whether or not to honor her word. She had promised Marie her freedom, if she wanted it.

But Ysabel loved her girl. Something in her tightened sadly at the thought of losing her.

"Beautiful," she said past the little knot in her throat. "You two have been practicing."
Marie 13 years ago
Marie didn't quite smile, but she still glowed with Ysabel's praise. She leaned forward and smoothed Adagio's mane trying to hide her pleasure. Sitting back up she nodded softly.

"Every chance I get."Â?

Adagio was about the only male she could manage to be alone around for any extended length of time. Well he and Ambrose, although Ambrose didn't quite count as he was a vampire and then Ysabel approved of him. That made him safe.

"It still isn't as good as you though."Â?

Marie suspected part of her problem was their lack of focus, she couldn't make up her mind which area of riding to focus on. Although, part of her was dying to show up at a rodeo and run a Friesian in a barrel racing event. Even if they didn't win it would be entertaining to see the looks they'd get.

The other part of her problem, she knew, was graduation looming and Ysabel's threat to give her back her freedom. Not knowing how to even bring the subject up, Marie had just been avoiding it. Instead, she trotted along side Ysabel.
Ysabel 13 years ago
Ysabel laughed softly. "I have had several hundred years of practice," she reminded Marie with a chuckle. She almost continued to say "you will too, someday," but she stopped. Marie wouldn't. Marie was going to grow old and be gone. That was her choice, anyhow, if it was what she wanted. Ysabel had to honor her word. But she didn't want to.

Her smile stayed in place and as Marie trotted up beside her she gave Elegy a nudge, matching Marie stride for stride in a drill team exercise they had done many times in the past. They trotted in concentric circles, Marie adjusting Adagio's stride to make it longer as she was on the outside, Ysabel reining Elegy in until he was nearly trotting in place as their circles grew smaller. They switched directions together and reversed roles; now Marie and Adagio made small circles that gradually opened up, Ysabel and Elegy on the outside getting faster and faster.

Coming out of their circles they side-stepped together diagonally across the ring, then rounded the end and went back the other way. They were in concert; they had practiced this before and it was fun for everyone.

As they drew to a halt at the end of the ring Ysabel looked down and toyed with Elegy's mane.

"Have you given any thought to college?" she asked lightly. "You can go anywhere. Anywhere in the world."

It should be an exciting prospect for Marie, who was now very well-versed in French and very quickly picking up Italian, which was similar to Spanish. Now was a good time for her to travel, to learn about the world. Once she was 18, Ysabel would no longer be her legal guardian.
Marie 13 years ago
She was thankful for the exercise Ysabel started. She concentrated on lengthening and shortening strides. It made her sad to think once Ysabel let, made, her go they'd never be this close again, they'd probably never do this again. Would Ysabel even remember her after a few hundred years?

Marie swallowed a lump in her throat and concentrated harder on the figure.

Hopes that Ysabel might have forgotten about her upcoming graduation were dashed when the question was asked so bluntly. For a very long second Marie just couldn't say anything. She nearly just blurted out what she was thinking.

But Ysabel had taught her very well. Marie quickly organized her thoughts and feelings and found a polite and non-committal response. Some how she even managed to keep her voice neutral and light.

"I've not thought about it much."Â?
Ysabel 13 years ago
Ysabel raised her eyebrows at Marie. Marie hadn't thought about it? She didn't believe it for a heartbeat. Marie must have given it plenty of thought. It used to be all she talked about.

"I thought you were excited about it," she said carefully as they walked together. "What happened to being a veterinarian? Or a teacher? Or any of those other things?"

She waved her hand vaguely; to say Marie's goals had fluctuated over the last couple of years would be an understatement. Her familiar had gone through a wide range of desires. But not once had "vampire" been there. Ysabel knew children grew up; she'd seen it happen with several of her husbands' throughout her years. But Marie was the first who'd ever really been hers, who knew what she was, who she loved.
Marie 13 years ago
Perhaps one of the horses would spook and bolt, giving her a chance to avoid this conversation. Not likely given their mounts, but it could happen..

Marie didn't look over at Ysabel. She kept her eyes studiously forward. She still couldn't keep her thoughts and feeling from showing in her eyes, not entirely. Almost not at all with some one who knew her.

"I was. I suppose I still am it is just..."Â?

What was it? She'd heard her classmates ramble on about things enough that Marie knew what she was expected to be feeling.

"It is very confusing. I'm not even sure where to start."Â?

It had become less and less important what she wanted to study and more important that she not be made to leave.
Ysabel 13 years ago
Ysabel sighed to herself. She wanted to tell Marie not to start anywhere, but how could she bias her own familiar? It was bad enough already, knowing Marie loved Ysabel as she did, knowing that bond was already forced upon her. But... it would be oh so easy to compel Marie to stay.

Ysabel cared though, far too much to force that from Marie. So she had to do her best to give her familiar what was best for her.

"Start anywhere," she said. "Start with what you like to do and go from there."

She paused, tilting her head to try to see Marie's face. It looked troubled. "You do still want to go to college, don't you?"
Marie 13 years ago
Ysabel had centuries to perfect her art, practice remaining calm and composed no matter what was thrown at her. Marie honestly couldn't recall seeing Ysabel remotely out of control or overwhelmed. Marie, however, was still a teenager. She'd not had nearly so much experience. She nibbled at her lip for a second, finally stopping Adagio and looking at Ysabel, her expression completely open.

"No, I don't. Well... I do but... I don't want to leave Ysabel. I know you said I could when I was eighteen but I don't want to."Â?

She didn't want to be alone again. She didn't want to go back to the southwest and find her family. She didn't want anything to do with her uncle and she didn't want to have to tell the rest of the family about him, what he'd done.

And in these few years she'd grown to love Ysabel, and even Ambrose. They were her family she didn't want to be away from them. Especially not from Ysabel.
Ysabel 13 years ago
As Marie came clean with the reason for her hesitation, Ysabel's heart lifted from where it had sunk. "Is that why you've been so quiet about it?"

When Marie responded, Ysabel's smile widened and became less pasted-on, more genuine.
"You don't have to leave, Marie."

She halted Elegy alongside Adagio. "Ambrose and I will never make you leave. I will never make you leave. I love having you with us. You're part of our family. We want you here, if that's where you want to be."

Considering, Ysabel shook her head. "But, Marie, if what you want is to go to school someplace else, we will go with you if you need us there."

Ysabel had meant it; it was a good time in her life for Marie to see new things, new places. And Ysabel was happy to go along. Marie was hers, but she still had a life to live and a world to experience.
Marie 13 years ago
Marie nodded, softly almost imperceptibly some where between shy and embarrassed about what she'd just said. She half expected to be, not ridiculed, but at least encouraged to leave, to get out and move on.

When Ysabel didn't do that. Marie looked back up naked hope in her eyes. Relief swept through her like a river. If they hadn't been mounted she probably would have thrown herself into Ysabel's arm, something she'd done less often as she'd grown, but hadn't grown out of entierly.

"I don't -want- to leave her or leave you."Â?

The world was too big and too scary to contemplate without Ysabel. Maybe for a day or a week, possibly for a month but forever was a long time.

"You don't have to go any where. The university here will do just fine."Â?

She didn't have a major picked out any way. And one or two of her friends were going to stay in town as well. Although, both of them would be living on campus and Marie hadn't even considered that idea. Still, it really would be ideal.

"I really can stay though?"Â?

Please? She added silently. Marie also had to wonder how long she'd be allowed to stay but didn't ask that question just yet. For now she just wanted to enjoy that she -could- stay.
Ysabel 13 years ago
Ysabel nodded at Marie. She had been more surprised when Marie hadn't immediately been forthcoming about what was troubling her. But her troubled childhood, only a few years in the past, obviously had left her with the need to for security.

"Of course you can stay," she said, still smiling although her voice was solemn. "I want you to stay." Ysabel cringed a little inwardly, since she'd tried to avoid any further bias on Marie, but Marie needed to hear the words. "Our house is your house now, too. Once you graduate we'll enroll you here in Nachton, if that's what you really want."

But the opportunities elsewhere... "How about we do some traveling on our own, then, if you want to go to school here? After you graduate. We can go to England; you can meet my parents, and see the stables there. And we'll go wherever else we want. Ireland, Scotland, France... we can spend the summer in Europe."

Ysabel's eyes lit up at the prospect of going overseas. She loved America, but she missed her own and hadn't been back for a visit in several years now.
Marie 13 years ago
Both relived and excited Marie beamed. Her excitement communicated itself to Adagio who trotted a few steps to the side, apparently needing to release the energy. Marie moved easily with him and brought him back under control.

With those few words she was excited about going to college again and it was a little hard to remember she was supposed to be a lady.

"Yes! Yes, please. Elizabeth and Rica are going too. They are going to be roommates. I'm sure we'll have some of the same classes."Â?

She was going to go to school -and- she wasn't going to have to give up her home, her family. It was the best news she had had in a while. She wanted to gallop around the ring to celebrate.

Her vampire's next question took her a back.

"Really?"Â?

Marie asked breathlessly.

"I've never been to Europe and I'd like to meet your parents. Where will we go? Can we see Rome?"Â?

Any excuse to practice her Italian and she'd fallen in love with the country, at least what she'd read about in books.
Ysabel 13 years ago
Ysabel shared Marie's relief but she composed herself and sat calmly atop Elegy's back while Marie suddenly seemed to transform into her usual self and the questions came tumbling out.

"Do you want to room at the college too?" Ysabel thought that might work, although she didn't think Marie would enjoy sharing a room with a stranger when her own house was so close. Still, this was new to Marie and if she wanted to do what her friends were doing, Ysabel would help her accomplish it.

The next question had her nodding happily. "Of course. We'll make it a graduation present. You should have a few months before college, so if we're having fun we'll just spend them overseas, wherever we like."
Marie 13 years ago
Marie shook her head adamantly negative.

"No. There isn't any need. Elizabeth has a huge family and just wants space to herself and Rica's parents are a nightmare. I don't have either of those problems."Â?

Although, she would have. If that car accident had never happened, she probably would have had both sets of problems. That though dimmed her enthusiasm somewhat. Marie still missed her parents and siblings. She missed her aunts and most of her uncle and her cousins. But she didn't want to go back, not ever. Everyone would believe her uncle Manuel, not her.

She shoved those thoughts out of her head.

"What is your family like?"Â?

They had spoken of them, off an on, never in much detail since Marie had come to live with Ysabel. Marie was very curious about them. That Ysabel would still have her parents alive after so many years, a family of vampires, it was amazing.
Ysabel 13 years ago
"You'll like them," Ysabel said. "They're a little old fashioned, but not too much. They aren't my real parents; my sister Dayle and I were adopted when we were little, only eight or so. I don't remember my biological parents at all. They died of an illness. Richard and Elsa took us in, raised us, and eventually offered to turn us."

She smiled a little at the memory, but didn't elaborate. She'd save it for later. She hadn't told Marie much about Dayle at all; it still hurt, a little, to know she and her twin had finally begun to grow apart.

"Richard loves horses as much as I do, and although he has a manager for his stable he's there all the time, keeping track of everything. Elsa will spoil you. She'll want to know everything you like to eat, war, listen to... she loves to be the perfect hostess." Ysabel paused and laughed softly. "So, you see where I get it from."
Marie 13 years ago
"Will they like me?"Â?

Marie asked cautiously. She didn't want to disappoint Ysabel in any way and it seemed to Marie that if Ysabel's family didn't like her that would be a very big disappointment.

She giggled a bit at the description of her parents.

"That does sound a little bit like you."Â?

And she couldn't wait to see the stables. That was almost as exciting as the prospect as a trip to Europe.

Her head cocked a bit a Ysabel's story. That was very sad, and not so different from her situation. It also touched on something that Marie didn't even often think about. Should she say something? Well... maybe... Marie didn't know quite where she found the courage but she finally managed to say something.

"They adopted you, like you adopted me?"Â?
Ysabel 13 years ago
They let the horses walk again; Ysabel nodded at Marie. "They'll like you. They've already said they're looking forward to meeting you."

Ysabel had explained Marie to her mother and father shortly after the girl had joined them. While they shared Ysabel's attitude regarding humans in general, like Ysabel, they were also known to have their particular favorites, and they treated their own familiars much more carefully than anyone else. The Yolgrave family had spent so many years integrating themselves with humans, living among them, hiding among them, that they had long since grown used to having them around. While a little more progressive in that regard than the bulk of Anantya, they didn't go so far as their Evenhet cousins, treating humans equally.

"They adopted us, yes. Normally when a child's parent died back then, we would have gone to our closest relatives' home to live. We didn't have any nearby. The next option would have been the closest convent, perhaps. But Richard and Elsa had seen us, knew who we were. They took us in and made us their own."

Ysabel laughed softly. "There wasn't so much paperwork back then." They had gone through any number of hoops to get the proper papers, some real, some false, to prove that she was Marie's legal guardian.
Marie 13 years ago
Marie smiled, some what self consciously both pleased and as little flustered to have been discussed with Ysabel's parents. Still it was exciting.

"A convent?"Â?

She was equal parts shocked by the idea and wistful about it. If she'd gone to a convent she'd have been safe, but she never would have come here. That and the idea of a quiet, cloistered life like that did -not- appeal to Marie. Sure she had her issues but she was still a teenage.

That hadn't been quite what she meant though. She'd been hinting at the whole turning thing, but apparently she'd missed the mark. It wasn't something that she could just ask though. It would be rude, ungrateful, to just come out and say it.

"At least the paperwork would have been easier to forge. No computer back ups or anything."Â?

Marie wasn't stupid. No one had ever come out and said what they had to that let her stay with the vampires, but she knew it couldn't all be on the up and up.
Ysabel 13 years ago
They eased back into a slow trot, the horses' hooves hesitating before touching down, a flowing, floating gait. Ysabel sat it comfortably, encouraging Elegy to a greater reach, and longer hesitation. As a result he hardly seemed to touch the ground at all, making almost no noise on the well-padded arena ground.

"It was the reasonable place for us to go," Ysabel said. "Many young women with no options gave their lives in service to the Lord." She shook her head. "I've always thought, though, that such dedication should be best given freely, not because one was out of options."

She nodded agreeably to Marie's next comment.
"Well, there was no paperwork at all, not that early, and not for two peasant children. We were very lucky, Dayle and I. Even the convent would have been a stroke of good fortune."

Ysabel said nothing more. To delve into the would-haves and if's would be to touch closely on topics that Marie had also faced, and she saw no purpose on bringing those up. Marie had a family now, and a good life. Like Ysabel and Dayle, she had also been lucky. And if she wanted it, she would have her freedom too.
Marie 13 years ago
With moderate success, Marie tried to mimic Ysabel's ride. An inexperienced viewer wouldn't have been able to see a difference, but an experienced rider or judge would have seen the hesitation, lack of confidence and inexperience of Marie's ride. She did well, but it wasn't as perfect as effortless as Ysabel.

"Was it really in service or was it escaping from other options?"Â?

If you had asked Marie, she would have rather gone to a convent no matter how restrictive and stifling.

She frowned at Ysabel.

"I just can't picture you as a peasant. Not at all."Â?

She wondered about Dayle, Ysabel's sister. It was one person she very much would like to have met. But Ysabel didn't speak about her sister often to her and Marie didn't ask. Her instinct was that the subject was sensitive.

Taking a deep breath she obliquely touched on the topic she was interested in.

"How did Elsa and Richard explain ... .... Things to you?"Â?