They Thought She Was A Goner...

Damned it. Damned it. DAMNED IT! Pa was still having issues about meeting with her maker. For humans that phrase had a certain ominous quality to it, ominous as in death. For her, it was equally as ominous, but she was sitting her, alive, and relatively well so it wasn't the same kind of fear. This wasn't The Pit and the Pendulum. She wasn't going to die. Pak, however, had been keeping most of her conflicted emotions to herself. She really didn't want to rely on Kem or Aishe. She wanted to prove she could do this on her own.

The day after meeting with him, Bao she had to remember his name was Bao, Pak had simply gone to work as usual. Well mostly as usual. She'd done a half-day in the office and had plans to work the other half from her rooms, but during the day. For now, she was sitting at her dinning room table studiously working on a new puzzle. It let her think with out thinking. She was picking out the edge pieces for a five thousand-piece puzzle of Van Gogh Irises.

She sighed as she started putting things together. Apparently, she'd only found about half the edge pieces. That and it was damned rainy out. It had come out of nowhere and she was bracing herself for lightening. Pak didn't want to wind up in the archives tonight. She really wanted Kem to think she was capable and handling this well. Even worried about lightening, however, she had left a window open. Something about the smell of the rain and the heat of the city was relaxing, comforting, familiar even. Pak liked it.

Actually, aside from her thoughts and feelings about her maker... er... Bao... it was a good night. She had a puzzle, she had a scotch, she had Monty Python on the TV... who could ask for more?

Mara 13 years ago
Mara remembered she had to set up a meeting again for Pak and Bao, so she decided to play it slightly risky and pay Pak a visit. This time, however, she was sure it would be all right. She wouldn't stay at Pak's apartment; Mara didn't want to be found on Evenhet grounds even if the occupant of the apartment was all right with it. No, she would simply climb up, get Pak's attention, and let her know to meet her downstairs where they could speak in relative peace.

She didn't have a cell phone on her, or she'd have called; however, running around Nachton in the shape of a small cat sort of precluded any ability to use cell phones and laptops. So she found herself bounding easily up the fire escape, headed for Pak's apartment window.

Eleven stories up the skies parted and decided to dump a monsoon on her head, something Mara had a very hard time appreciating. She hated water. Showers were necessary but this - this was overkill. She was here, though, so she may as well finish the climb and deliver her message. Inch by soaking wet inch she scrambled up the ladders in the pouring rain, her ears flattened and her whiskers drooping. The wet chill penetrated her thick coat and as she climbed she muttered unhappily, the sounds emerging from her mouth in a series of feline hissing and growling.

Reaching Pak's window at last, Mara yowled at it at the top of her lungs. It was open, surprisingly, just enough for her to fit her paws beneath, but not enough for her to get in. She wasn't about to shapeshift for all of Nachton to see the naked woman breaking and entering Liefde.

Mara sat unhappily outside in the rain, waiting for Pak to take notice of her and invite her in.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Ha! That was a corner piece! Pak always liked finding corner pieces, somehow they made the rest of the pieces fall into line, so to speak.

Huh, that sounded like a cat. Pak looked up at the TV. There were no cats in evidence there so she went back to the puzzle. But the yowl didn't stop. It took a minute or three but she remembered Mara leaving by the fire escape, and as the older vampire didn't often have pockets she didn't often have a cell phone. So it stood to reason she might come up via the fire escape. It had to beat hanging around in the parking garage to see if she showed up or not.

"It's open! It's open!"Â?

Pak called at the same time mentally jerking the window open more so that a cat could slide in. As the window opened she could hear how hard it had started to rain. Cats didn't carry umbrellas any more than they did cell phones she reasoned and disappeared into the bathroom for a towel. That she tossed into the living room, it landed on the kitty condo she had yet to get rid of. And then headed to her bedroom looking for something for Mara to wear. That she just brought with her.

None of this took very long and when she got back to the living room there was a very wet cat in her apartment.

"Maybe we should rethink the bat signal idea."Â?

She actually felt bad for Mara, who looked more than a little disgruntled.

Pak turned away to mute the TV and give Mara some privacy, it was hard to have a conversation with a cat, she was of course welcome to the bathroom or bedroom if she'd rather.

Funny that she'd have some fondness for the sister of the monster who made her. It must have to do with the fact that she could see Kem in Mara. That would be a redeeming quality.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara heard Pak yell from within the apartment and the window shoved itself up a few more inches to give her room to scramble in before it shut itself again. Mara stood on Pak's floor, quickly creating a puddle beneath her as water ran off her coat in little rivulets. Pak threw a towel toward her and it landed on the previously-purchased kitty condo.

Mara shifted as Pak turned away, gladly picking up the towel and drying herself off. She would have been fine staying as she was, but Pak insisted upon modesty and therefore brought out clothing as well. Mara didn't intend to be here long though, so she simply wrapped the towel about herself and tucked it in so it would stay on.

"Thank you," she said with a wry little smile. "I thought the bat signal was a fine idea until the eleventh floor, and then it got a little less fine with each story."

She didn't want to get any pf Pak's furniture damp so she just knelt on the floor where she was, peering at the puzzle on the table. After a moment she looked up at Pak.

"So, it didn't go too badly with Bao," she observed. "You're both alive."
Pakpao 13 years ago
At least she was getting used to the fact that Mara traveled with no clothes. She only mentally shrugged when her Anantya friend opted to just make use of the towel rather than the clothes. Whatever made her more comfortable and she tossed them on one of the chairs.

Perfectly at home with sitting on the floor, Pak sat down leaning up against the sofa.

She snorted. Yes, they were both alive, it wasn't her first choice but honestly the odds of her killing him had been slim and none. Beyond that he still had information she wanted.

"I wouldn't say it went well either. I'm pretty sure he doesn't like me."Â?

Nope, he didn't and he was taunting her with the promise of telling her about her family. For all she knew he had -nothing- on them, but she wasn't going to take that chance.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara looked at Pak with slight surprise. "Doesn't like you? That's not true. I think he likes you, or will like you, a great deal."

Of course it was too early for certainties but what Bao felt for his runaway was not dislike. "Maybe what you don't realize is he's just as unsure about things as you are." Mara felt it was important to reassure Pak on that count; she had promised to help Pak with this mess in exchange for the help she needed, and Mara wasn't about to give it half of her effort.

She was curious how Pak had reached that assumption though, so she simply asked.
"Why do you think he doesn't like you?"
Pakpao 13 years ago
"Starting with the part where I threw a drink in his face or the shouting?"Â?

It was true that that bastard had never raised his voice, not once. He had growled and insisted on manners but that was the worst Pak could say. But she hadn't given him any call to like her, not at all.

Unsure? He didn't come off unsure in the slightest. It had been pretty clear the direction he'd wanted to go and he'd steered the whole meeting that way.

Mara inspired some trust, some faith and Pak cracked just a bit. Mara was helping here, she was one of the few people she could talk to about this.

"He wouldn't tell me about my family. I don't even know if he knows anything about them, but he knew that's what I wanted and he wouldn't say anything."Â?

Pak tucked her knees up under here chin, sulking a bit. But she didn't let the sulk last long, although she did keep her knees to her chest.

"But what brings you up here in the dark and the damp?"Â?
Mara 13 years ago
Mara suppressed a low chuckle. "Starting sometime after that," she confirmed. "I think you took him by surprise though and that's tough to do."

She considered what Pak said next, knowing what she knew about Bao, his personality, his aims. "Well maybe he didn't tell you because of that uncertainty," she pointed out. "I know it may not seem like it now, but he does want to improve things between you. It's not always up front, cut and dry, with Bao though. He probably thinks that by dangling information about your family, he'll keep you coming back. I don't think he wants to lose you again."

She didn't know exactly what Bao's reasons were of course, but Mara figured she could give it her best guess, which was what Pak was getting. Mara shrugged at the younger vampire though. "I never said he was doing it right," she amended.

"In that light, though," she continued, "I'm here because he does want to see you again. To teach you like he should have done before. And maybe to chat with you more."

She gave Pak the name of the dojo Bao had mentioned.
"Will you meet him there in two nights? You can bring someone along if you want."
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak gave a satisfied little nod. She approved of that. Right now she wanted to keep him guessing and off guard. The idea that he might get a read on her, be able to predict her was unsettling. Not just for her but for her friends as well. She didn't trust him not to take advantage of those she cared about.

"Oh good, a carrot and a stick. I'm a goddamned donkey. Just what I wanted to be when I grew up."Â?

Although, he was right. She'd keep coming until she was certain he knew nothing. If he had nothing to offer, she'd cut him off cold. He wasn't needed. But right now, that little bit of bait was enough to keep her interested.

"I thought he'd said something about that. I wasn't sure he was serious though."Â?

Damned, he was. She'd driven by that dojo before, and never even been tempted to look in let alone go in. If there was going to be fighting involved Pak preferred to arm herself with a keyboard and a powerful processor.

She sighed, a sound of resignation. There really wasn't a choice here.

"I don't know the first thing about that sort of thing. But I'll go."Â?

Of course, she knew if he hurt her, she'd walk out on him. Pak wasn't in the mood to be abused any more. She remembered far too well being thrown repeatedly to the ground and looking up at those damned fangs of his. Nearly three hundred years later and that memory still put a cold hard knot in her stomach.

"I'll bring some one from security. And no I'm not going to say who."Â?

Some how she felt either Mara or Bao would want to know that. Whether the information was for their protection or so they'd know what kind of a hostage they might have Pak wasn't sure. But she wasn't going to give them the chance.

"You'd go? Wouldn't you?"Â?

She asked with an odd mix of confusion and hope. Pak was trying to make her own way here, but a little bit of advice, a second opinion wouldn't hurt would it?
Mara 13 years ago
Mara didn't react to Pak's various responses. She was getting used to the idea that although Pak liked to seem tough and stoic, she was really a fairly emotional, passionate person. Sometimes, she didn't seem to need a reaction and just appeared to be venting, so that was what Mara waited out, until Pak actually asked her a question.

"Would I go?" Mara thought for a moment. "I might," she said. "I've never been in your position though. My creator has always been with me."

She sought for a parallel of her own to give her some sort of basis for comparison but found none. She couldn't use her father, for it was Mara who had tracked him through the years. And of course, Amir had never failed to be there for her.

She lifted her shoulders.
"I'm sorry, I can't advise you. I don't have any experiences to compare yours to. I think I would go, but the question has never come up for me."
Pakpao 13 years ago
Mara just let her blow herself out. Pak could appropriate that.

She smiled though, at the answer, she hadn't expected Mara to be so literal. She was thinking more in terms of a hypothetical situation. But she'd given a thought out answer and that was as much as she could ask for.

However, she couldn't say that Mara was lucky, not the same way she could say that about Aishe. But Pak supposed she was, lucky that was. To have known and always had her creator with her, or at least accessible.

"Fair enough. You can tell him I'll be there."Â?

She unfolded a bit and looked considerably more confidant and relaxed.

"I appreciate you running messages. Is there something else I can do for you?"Â?

Pak felt bad about Mara running around in the rain just because she wouldn't give Bao her phone number.
Mara 13 years ago
"I'll tell him," Mara said, "and I'll be nearby as well."

It would probably remain in all of their best interests for a while if she continued to be on hand as a potential mediator, just in case the need arose. Maybe at some point Bao and Pak would trust each other enough not to need one. Until then though, Mara was the obvious choice.

The rain had let up slightly; Mara could hear that from where she sat.
"I think you're eventually going to have a chance to repay any favors I'm doing you now. If you're willing when the time comes, we'll be able to call it even enough."

She smiled confidently at Pak. "Don't worry about anything yet. Just... learn about your creator. It's important to know where you came from."

She knew Pak's feelings on the topic, more or less, but she still couldn't shake the idea that Pak could learn to accept the way things were. Obviously she approved, somewhere deep down, or else she'd have taken a walk in the sun a long time ago.
Pakpao 13 years ago
"I appriacate it."Â?

Pak really did appricate it too. No matter if Mara was there for both she and Bao, the point was she was there at least partially for her. And, strange as it seemed, Pak didn't want him to be totally alone in this whole process.

The idea of repaying Mara was a bit intimidating. It made Pak nervous, she had these odd images of throwing herself between Kem and Amir while they tried to kill each other. Maybe it was just as well Bao wanted to teach her to fight. Still, she'd given her word and she'd keep it no matter the risk to herself.

"I meant it when I said I'd help."Â?

She wanted to keep them both safe, Kem more so, but she'd do what she could to help Mara.

Look, she was growing! She didn't say anything about coming from a psychotic low life.

"Well... I'm still not sure it is important, but I don't think it could hurt anything. I'm pretty much past my formative years so I don't think it will change much."Â?

Pak shrugged. It wasn't going to change much was it? She was still going to be part of Evenhet, she was still going to be head of IT for Meridian and like her cloves. Kem and Aishe were still here friends. You know... she could do this. She was still going to be who she was. Pak felt slightly better about all of this.
Mara 13 years ago
"I know you meant it. There will be plenty for us to do, eventually."

She was silent for a little while before she finally said, "I don't think I can keep them apart forever. With them both here it seems inevitable they will meet, and my father will learn about Amir."

Mara gave a soft smile and just shrugged her shoulders at Pakpao. "I just want to manage the damage when they do," she concluded. "I don't know what else will happen, but I just don't want anyone hurt."

The rain outside was definitely stopping. Soon it would be time to go but not just yet; Mara wasn't looking forward to getting soaked when she'd just begun to dry off.

"I don't know that Bao is looking to change anything," she said to Pak. "I think he just wants to know you and you should know him, too. That's all."

She meant it sincerely. Mara couldn't imagine life without her own creator, and it struck her as imperative that everyone else have some sort of relationship with theirs. Amir's influence, perhaps. He might not do everything right all the time, but in this, she thought he was a strong presence and a stable one.
Pakpao 13 years ago
"It is a big city."Â?

Pak said hopefully. They -might- not meet. She didn't really believe that though, not with Kem leading Evenhet. Eventually their paths would cross. Kem -probably- wouldn't know Amir but... Well this would all depend on how Amir chose to play it.

"You're going to be the wild card you know. They both care about you."Â?

However, Kem probably wouldn't take the fact that Mara was a vampire well. Not right off the bat, not knowing who turned her. Pak only hoped she and Aishe would be enough to keep him keeping straight. She had no illusions, she didn't think she meant enough to Amir to influence him at all, Kem though... she -might- just might be able to sway. If nothing else, she could help Aishe.

Pak smiled to herself. Aishe was turning out to be a hidden treasure. It was easy to see what she meant to Kem, but Pak was continuing to develop .... More than a fondness for the young vampire. Aishe had endeared herself to Pak on more than one occasion. The young woman meant a lot to her, beyond her connection to her big brother.

A wrinkle of he nose was the only doubt Pak allowed to show. She wasn't at all certain what Bao wanted from her. But since her turning, she'd suspected an alternative motive from the man. Maybe she was wrong, or maybe that had changed over a century or two.

"If that's all he wants... well I'd like to get to know where I came from. Maybe there is more to this,"Â? she waived her hand "than what he said. Maybe it does mean something."Â?

Something beyond her oddly colored eyes. Pak hoped that was the case.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara nodded a little absently at Pak, although she was listening intently. She was trying to envision the possibilities and having trouble. "It is a big city," she agreed. "We'll have to see what happens."

Her face fell at the idea of being a wild card. It was depressing to her, knowing that no matter what happened, the two people she cared most about in the world would be at odds for a number of reasons, her among them.
"When everything goes wrong, Pak," Mara said, "just try and remind him that if it weren't for Amir, I would never have seen him again."

She smiled. "I was a daddy's girl," she admitted. "I was too little, when everything happened, to have had any interest in boys. I loved my father. He was big, and strong, and I would have followed him everywhere. When he was turned, when mother died, Ha-Neferet tried to save us." She closed her eyes, recalling the memories of a long-past life in a dimly-lit, dirty house. "I dreamed of him," she said in a voice not much louder than a whisper. "I dreamed that he would come back and find us. I was a mother by then, reluctant to be. In my mind I was still Kiamhaat's little girl."

Even after her turning, it was that daydream that had kept her following him. Yes, she'd asked it of Amir for a number of reasons, but greatest of them all was because she never stopped dreaming of her beloved father.

"It turned out better than I could have hoped for," she said, her voice returning to normal as she opened her eyes and looked at Pak. "I didn't expect Amir to be who he is or to do what he has done. He became to me what my father couldn't be. Not a surrogate father," she waved her hand dismissively, for Amir was definitely not a father figure no matter how often they played the platonic game, "but a friend."

The rain had stopped outside, and Mara didn't want to linger here on Evenhet territory. She imagined it wouldn't be completely forbidden if she were a welcome guest this time instead of a trespasser, but she certainly didn't want to push her luck.

"It means plenty," she said to Pak. "Where you came from... maybe it won't change who you are, but you'll feel more complete knowing. You came from the same stock as I did, and therefore as my father did. We have a long line of ancestors. Some of them are still alive. You're part of a very old family. I think you would like some of them."

She stood, clasping Pak's towel to her chest. "I will see you at the dojo," she promised. "I hope you find it enjoyable. I think you might."

With that, she closed her eyes and let her cat form take over, slipping easily and happily into her black-spotted silver fur. Sitting on the floor of Pak's apartment she purred up at the younger vampire. Hopping onto the cat condo she considered once more that she really should apologize to Pak by perhaps filling that piece of furniture with a real kitten, and waited for Pak to open the window.

((ooc: Mara out, pending response))
Pakpao 13 years ago
Pak nodded. She'd do that, eventually she was sure he'd see that logic for himself, Kem might not like it, but he'd see it, it would mean something. She just hopped he'd forgive her for keeping her knowledge from him, and even for taking Mara's side when the time came. This could all be worried about when the time came.

Her smile tinged with a little sadness. Pak was certain it wasn't intentional but Mara's story made her think of her how children. What had happened to them when she'd been forced from home. Dragging her mind away from those thoughts, she nodded. Human or vampire from everything Mara had told her, she'd needed a friend, desperately. If Amir had filled that roll, well that was to everyone's benefit.

"I'm glad you had a friend. It isn't any fun to go through life, especially one like this alone."Â?

Family. Oddly enough, Pak hadn't really considered that. Not beyond Bao and possibly the other 'children', he'd told her he'd made. It might be interesting. Pak added that to her list of things to think about. Right along with trying to learn how to pummel people.

"I'll look forward to seeing you."Â?

It was a true statement, Pak really did like Mara and enjoyed her company. Perhaps someday, they'd get to spend time together without more serious matters lingering about.

As Mara shifted Pak couldn't help herself and gave Cat Mara a quick scratch on the head. As Mara vanished she decided to shut the window, no more visitors tonight, and un muted the TV and went back to her puzzle, trying to piece together all together different kinds of things into a complete picture.

((OOC...out))