Pleased to Meet You, Won't You Guess My Name (Attn: Pak, Aishe and Mara)

Bao grumbled about the sewer entrance, he always did. Perhaps it was one of the reasons he avoided The House of Pain, or perhaps it just wasn't his style, at least not most of the time. It didn't matter, he would put up with a lot to get to actually talk to his wayward offspring. And if the sewer was the worst he had to endure it would be a very small price to pay.

Deciding it wouldn't be wise to sit in the Anantya section, if he were to take 'home field advantage' she might resent that, or possibly even run after all, he found a neutral booth. It managed to be semi private but wasn't so tucked away that you couldn't see most of the floor from it, again he didn't want her feeling trapped. He'd seen what she did when she felt trapped. Whether Pakpao knew it or not she'd broken his nose and a couple of toes when then ran into each other in California.

He ordered a drink and then all he could do was wait. It was hard not to watch the various writhing masses of human and vampire without looking like a predator. But that wasn't the image he wanted right now. Truthfully, he didn't know how to go about this. Apologize? Defend his actions? Simply tell her she owed him three hundred years of service and education? No, none of those seemed right and he'd rejected all those ideas between when Mara had told him of this meeting and now.

As much as Bao was loathed to admit it, even to himself, Pakpao had the power in this meeting. He needed to know what she wanted from him before he could respond. If she were part of Anantya or completely unaffiliated, he could take what he wanted. But unless she left Evenhet willingly, trying to snatch one of them would cause more trouble then he was authorized to start.

He let his mind wander, trying to prepare for this in some way his eyes never leaving the crowd, trying to spot her.

Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe sat alone for the moment, relaxed at her table and engaging in some people-watching. She didn't expect to stay alone. People didn't come to the House of Pain to stay alone. She blended in with the crowd for now, although if she didn't mingle she'd soon stick out like a sore thumb.

Convincing Kiamhaat hadn't been difficult. After all, this venue made sense for this particular meeting. What had nearly made her late, however, was getting into her dress. For the second time. The boots had been difficult too. In fact, mostly it had been a lot more fun to take off than put on.

Aishe flushed at the memory. Some friend she'd have been if her outfit had caused some, er, distractions and made her late. The important thing was that Kiamhaat knew where she was and why she was there. She hadn't seen Pak yet but her friend would surely Send to her when she was nearby and Aishe could adjust her positioning to keep an eye on her.

In the meantime she pretended to drink and looked around with heavily made-up eyes. This was an unusual crowd for her. She wasn't worried about being recognized; Pak's creator surely didn't know who she was. As long as she stayed out of the way, her job here was just to be moral support.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara hated this place. It was full of people, full of grabbing, touching people who didn't respect personal space. She'd promised to be here though, so she wound her catlike way through the writhing throng and looked for Bao. She had tried to dress unobtrusively yet comfortably, and had achieved a sort of compromise between the sexy clothing that tended to be the norm here and the covering clothing she preferred.

She looked no better and no worse than any other woman there in tight dark blue jeans that laced up the sides from ankle to hip. Over those she wore a leather halter top which exposed her arms and shoulders, but none of her chest. The buttery-soft leather clung tightly to her and didn't really leave any details to the imagination, but it was more covering than most of the women here were wearing.

Her hair was pulled away from her face and she wore a pair of dark brown contact lenses, not really wanting her eyes to set her apart in this crowd after going to so much trouble to make the rest of her outfit blend.

Mara spotted her younger sibling without much trouble and moved to stand beside him at his booth.

"So glad you could make it," she said softly. "I imagine your girl will be along soon enough."
Bao 13 years ago
Sighing Bao checked his watch, he couldn't help it he was anxious and he liked to keep on schedule. She wasn't late yet though. Part of him almost wished he wasn't here on personal business. There were one or two luscious looking bites. But even they didn't tempt him away from his goal and he continued to survey the crowed for Pakpao.

Even though his eyes had never left the crowd Mara still managed to approach him unnoted. She could move like a ghost, it was no wonder she was good at her job. It made him wonder if she'd learned anything about him he'd rather not be known.

He was old enough, mature enough and experienced enough not to visibly react to Mara's attire. It wasn't over the top but it was perhaps more daring than her norm. In fact the look was only a slight surprise and certainly much more appropriate for the venue than his own clothing. Bao was still dressed as if for a business meeting. Although he had left the tie behind.

"The feeling is mutual. I'd ask you to sit down..."Â?

He trailed off finally deciding it was Mara's choice. Right now, she knew Pakpao better than he did if Mara thought she wouldn't be concerned about approaching both of them he wouldn't be concerned either.

"I hope so, you don't think she will stand me up out of some odd sense of poetic justice?"Â?
Mara 13 years ago
Mara blinked at Bao, staring at him for a moment while she thought about his question. She made no move to sit, instead continuing to lean casually against his chosen booth.

Finally she shook her head.
"I don't think she'll stand you up for that reason," she said. "Honestly, if it comes down to it and she doesn't show up, it'll be because you've managed to scare the undead right out of her."

She didn't hold back all of the criticism in her voice; for someone so smart, Bao had surely made a decent mess out of this one child's life. He should have rectified the matter long ago instead of letting it drag on and requiring help to try and make it right.

Maybe this was why she'd never turned anyone. She shrugged to herself.
Bao 13 years ago
Bao let Mara criticize him. It was interesting how much of an interest she'd taken in this child of his. He couldn't tell how much was sympathy for Pakpao and how much was irritation with him.

"Would you feel better if I'd told you I had looked for her? I went for her the next night but her husband had chased her off."Â?

He recalled bitterly. Well the man hadn't regretted that action for long before Bao made sure he never regretted anything again.

"I was able to follow her for a while, but then she disappeared. I might have still found her but I received a summons and by the time I was free again the trail was beyond cold."Â?

It was not Amir's fault, Bao hadn't even -considered- blaming or even implying that Amir's summons was why he'd lost Pakpao. It was just a fact, he'd not had the time to thoroughly search.
Aishe 13 years ago
Aishe looked around, wondering if any of the people who were even in this room were the one Pak was here to meet. She didn't sit still for long; single women in the House of Pain didn't just hang out at tables and people-watch for long periods of time. After a few minutes she got up, not having a lot of experience in this place and wanting to know the layout.

She wound her way through the throbbing crowd of dancers, drinkers, and people engaging in plenty of pursuits that fit into neither category. There were different rooms, and it was sometimes difficult for her to tell which areas were affiliated with which clans.

Eventually she had it figured out, just in time to receive Kiamhaat's sending. She smiled to herself, a secret little smile that belonged to them. It hadn't been fair to expect him not to show up; she'd left the choice to him, uncertain whether or not he'd actually want to be here.

Following his directions she made her way back to the central, neutral, area in time to see him enter, easily visible by his height and his hair. He was dressed conservatively for this building, but Kiamhaat never needed clothing to set him apart. He was easy to spot and enjoyable to look at. His hair was pulled neatly away from his face, into a tail at the nape of his neck. He wore jeans, like usual, which clung appealingly to the muscles of his thighs and hugged his hips neatly. Tucked into them was a fitted black shirt with short sleeves, made all the more appealing for its simplicity. It seemed to be glued to him, moving with him as he slid easily through the crowd for someone his size. She caught herself staring at the play of muscles over his flat stomach as he twisted and turned his way between patrons to reach her.

"We're here for Pak, right?"

It would be easy to get distracted.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Kem's thoughts were on Pak as he made his way up to the 20th floor of he building, a height that didn't bother him now nearly as much as it used to. It was easy to find Aishe; they were drawn to each other by more than just a vampiric bond. He bent close to hear her voice over the thump of the music and gave a laugh, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her close.

"You can't dress like this anymore," he said. "I'm pretty sure I almost hurt Pak's feelings."

Tonight was about their friend after all. All about waiting, at any rate.

"Do you know who it is she's meeting?"

Aishe's response was negative; they would just have to wait and see. In the meantime they would take a turn around the club; it couldn't hurt for him to be seen pretty much everywhere. If he was going to lead their Clan in Alfarinn's absence, well, he had to lead it.

He was still uncomfortable with the recognition that came with such a position, but he had come by it honestly and was really just a placeholder. Really!
Mara 13 years ago
Mara shook her head at Bao. "It doesn't matter what I think," she said with a tilt of her head. "I'm just concerned for your well-being. And hers. She's a nice person."

With that she turned away and looked out over the crowded room for Pakpao. She didn't see her, but what she did see made her tense for a moment. There was no mistaking that face, that hair. Her father was here. Why was he here?

He looked completely at home here, too, and from everything Mara knew, he shouldn't. Yet there he was, crossing the room, ducking in and out of the crowd easily, into the arms of... well, that made sense.

She should have known Pak would have friends here. The curvaceous little black-haired woman in the suggestive leather dress turned around and went immediately to Kem, and Mara recognized Aishe with no trouble at all. The two exchanged words briefly and then disappeared into the next room over. Surely they were here for Pak... weren't they?

Mara turned away nonetheless. She didn't want either of them to see her face, contacts or no. She bore a very strong resemblance to her father and she didn't want to start those wheels turning.

"I'll be nearby if you need help extricating yourself," she said wryly to Bao before pushing herself gracefully away from the booth and heading toward the only entrance Pak could come in by.
Pakpao 13 years ago
Damned stupid place for a meeting, Pak thought. It was annoying at any rate. Too many people dancing and snacking and other things it was throwing her off her groove. And she'd just gotten that groove in place thanks to her little talk with Kem. Pak willed herself back into the calm and confidant mindset. This was just another meeting.

Almost.

She resisted the urge to send to either Kem or Aishe just to make sure they were here and surveyed the crowd. It didn't take long to spot him. She'd seen that face in her nightmares for years. Pak caught just a glimps of a retreating woman, something about the way she moved made her think it was Mara. That had better be the only back he brought.

After deciding against a drink, she set her face in a determined and unreadable expression. He' not learn anything from her just by watching and if he was an empath, well he would be equally screwed. As she approached the table, she was a little troubled to see he actually looked pleasant, respectable even. Where was a good handle bar mustache and a black cape when you needed one?

Without realizing it, she'd walked right over to his table and the next thing Pak knew she'd thrown his drink in his face. She didn't even remember picking it up. A few hundred years of pent up fear and rage kept her going though, she didn't back down.

"You are a god damned son of a bitch. But I suspect you know that, you probably even take pride in it."Â?

Pak stood there, surprisingly without fear, almost defiantly daring him to make the next move.

Actually, considering the depth of her feelings, this was a -very- mild reaction to actually meeting this man. But, after all, she'd promised Mara to be open minded.
Bao 13 years ago
"Let us hope she plays nice tonight."Â?

Bao would hate to have to hurt her, again. It was somewhat surprising that she would express any concern for Pakpao. The younger vampire must have made quite an impression.

He only nodded at Mara's exit. It didn't even seem sudden.

And there she was. She didn't look much different from the first time he'd seen her. Not older certainly. Her eyes seemed bluer and she carried herself differently and she was much better dressed. She'd also seen him, that was clear.

Her expression was totally unreadable, and between his own experiences with her and what Mara had said, Bao had expected Pakpao to be slightly fearful. Cautious at the very least. And so, he was totally unprepared for the drink in his face.

He blinked his eyes rapidly against the sting of the alcohol and wiped it from his face. At the last second, he managed to check his initial reaction, which was to lung out of the booth and assault her. Bao had managed to get that urge under control but couldn't stop a snarl from crossing his face, exposing his larger than average fangs. Bitch.

Picking up a napkin, he wiped the rest of the drink off his face and cleaned the table up a bit. Fortunately, the few seconds that took let him calm down. Calm again Bao noticed that while she hadn't moved, she had flinched a bit when he'd snarled at her. But, she hadn't run. Points for that.

Slowly standing he half bowed.

"I don't think I will argue that point with you. Under the circumstances, you'd probably win."Â?

Bao gestured toward the other side of the booth.

"Would you care to sit down?"Â?

He waited for Pakpao to sit down before sitting back down himself. Honestly, after that little demonstration, he was slightly surprised she did sit down. Perhaps she had grown up a bit, she must have she wasn't running away.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara turned back toward Bao as she approached the entrance. She saw Pak's back, recognizing Bao's child as she stiffly approached him. And she saw the woman pick up the glass in front of her sibling and hurl the contents into his face.

She bit her lip, just in case Bao looked for her. It wouldn't do for him to see her chuckling... but, from Pak's perspective, it must have felt good.

Mara moved slowly around the room, falling into the pattern of the patrons here, feeling the beat of the music and letting it carry her through the throng. It was the only way she could stand the writhing life around her, and the only way she could detach from the hands that reached out to grab and hold her.

Her body swayed in time with the changing beat and she kept a look out, an eye on Pak and Bao, and some of her attention devoted to the direction her father had disappeared to.
Pakpao 13 years ago
That didn't resolve a single thing, but she'd finally caught -him- off guard rather than the other way around. Pak thought noting his surprised expression as the drink hit his face. She was still beyond angry with him, she was still a little afraid of him, but part of her, for a split second, felt a little better. She'd been certain he'd have attacked her for that stunt. Pak flinched as he snarled. It was far -far- to easy to remember the feel of those fangs in her neck, even the feeling of being drained. She didn't know how she did it, but she held her ground. Refusing to even break eye contact with him.

Grudgingly she sat down, thankful for the wide table. It was almost a moat.

All she could do was stare at him, that's it. Pak had had a few fantasies about how finally meeting her creator would go and this wasn't like any of them. So she was a little lost as to what to do next. She watched as he flagged down a waitress and asked her if she'd like something to drink.

"Only if you plan on wearing it too."Â?

He smiled, it was a disgustingly knowing, patronizing smile and then ordered two drinks. She didn't really hear what he'd ordered. The fact that he was so calm, so civilized about all of this made her even angrier. Pak broke the promise she'd made to herself, the promise that she'd show him nothing and let him see some of her anger.

"Stop it! This isn't a fucking tea party! Do you have -any- idea what you did to me? Don't you have -anything- to say for yourself?!"Â?

She shouted at him not caring that the waitress was only just turning away and could hear every word. She didn't care if half the club heard it. Let them. She wasn't the bad guy here.
Bao 13 years ago
My, she had a quick temper didn't she? He would have channeled that if she hadn't disappeared on him. Even now, only knowing her from his few encounters and what little he could find in technology magazines Bao understood Pakpao could be formidable. She already was in professional circles, he could have, still could, make her so much more. If only she'd let him.

She'd have to stop antagonizing him though. He'd never tolerated that from any of his children and he wasn't about to start now. Reminding himself what had happened on the west coast though; Bao knew he would have to keep his temper in check. At least to some degree or he would lose her again. And while a patient man he wasn't willing to wait another two hundred plus years.

"I was there as well you might recall. I know what happened."Â?

His voice was ice cold, extremely controlled and rather close to the tone he used when commanding obedience from someone. He was not going to apologize. She would be highly disappointed if that is what she was looking for.

"Now. I'm told you have questions for me."Â?

He unbent a little, some where Bao even managed to find a shadow of a smile for her. He was honestly here to help her. Help himself as well ideally but mostly to help her.
Pakpao 13 years ago
That tone of voice made Pak's blood run cold and succeeded in reminding her that she was dealing with a dangerous, if not lethal man. He'd used very nearly the same tone of voice the night he turned her, but with some power behind it. He'd forced her to obey. Years later she'd learned it some something of a gift some of their kind had, command. It was perhaps the only gift Pak considered truly evil.

Tonight, however, he wasn't forcing her to do anything, apparently he just wanted her attention. Still she wondered if she'd be able to call for help if he decided that talking was a waste of time.

For a moment, she glared at him, a look of pure hatred. But she quickly retreated behind her own walls so he wouldn't be able to read her.

"I thought we might start with your name. You know you've never bothered to introduce yourself."Â?

It was true Mara had told her his name. But damned it she would hear it from his own lips. He owed her at least that much.
Bao 13 years ago
Right now, Bao didn't care if she hated him. It would take time and effort but he could change her mind.

At least she settled down a bit, so he ignored the look. Although he was moderately impressed, Pakpao got herself under control so quickly.

That was a barb well delivered and well deserved. Granted their first few meetings hadn't exactly warranted introductions, but tonight he should have said something. Bao had taken it as a given that Mara would have given Pakpao his name, but it was less than polite of him to assume.

"You are right, I am Bao Hoang. I am originally from Vietnam I've been working here in Nachton for a while now as a lawyer for Anantya."Â?

If Bao had the slightest thought that Pakpao would actually accept his hand, he would have offered. But he very highly doubted she could stop being stubborn and childish just yet and he'd be damned if he'd letter her insult him by refusing his hand.

About then the drinks arrived and he set a scotch on the rocks with a twist in front of her.
Pakpao 13 years ago
He'd had the decency to finally introduce himself. Of course, she couldn't help but notice he didn't apologize for not introducing himself. He hadn't apologized for -anything-.

"I'm Pakpao Metharom. I -was- a farmer. I -was- a wife. I -was- a mother of two. I was moderately happy and had a right to live my life to a natural end or even just to have a say in this decision."Â?

The bastard was just as unreadable as she was. He didn't flinch, smile, look guilty, or indeed react at all to her little tirade.

What he had done, was ordered her one of her favorite drinks and set it in front of her. How much did he know about her? Was he stalking her?

Help.

Pak was starting to think she was in over her head.

It was time to learn how to swim.
Bao 13 years ago
Bao sighed. Apparently, she was a bit more resentful than he'd anticipated. The only redeeming thing was she'd kept a civilized tone of voice.

He swirled his whiskey and sipped it as he let her burn herself out.

"You were all of that and now you are also approaching your third century. You've seen more history and more of the world than you ever would have in that little village of yours. You are also head of IT at Meridian and one of the lead designers of an AI that is beyond impressive. Do you intend to live the rest of your life in the past? You'll have a problem, Siam doesn't even exist any more."Â?

Had he damaged her some how? Perhaps letting her slip through his fingers left her scared? Was she not recoverable?

He should have known the children would come into it eventually. But she hadn't earned any information on them yet and likely, she wouldn't if she kept this up.

He wasn't going to start out by coddling her.

"I will agree I shouldn't have left you as I did. I did try and find you but you were very effective in hiding."Â?

That was as much of an apology as he was ever likely to give and it was more that Bao had intended to offer on their first meeting.
Pakpao 13 years ago
His words stung, more than she thought possible. But Pak was done hiding, done running so she just sat there and took it.

Her eyes widened in surprise as he almost, sort of, obliquely apologized. Pak had mixed feelings on his not quite apology, it was less than she wanted and yet more than she'd hoped. She didn't know what to make of it.

"And you think all of that justifies what you did? That it makes it OK?"Â?

Pak's first rush of anger and resentment spent she now was actually able to have a somewhat reasonable conversation. She couldn't quite stop being confrontational and accusatory, but it was more civilized.

She toyed with her drink, one wouldn't create a situation where she was vulnerable but she couldn't bring herself to taste it. She wasn't ready to accept anything he offered.

"How much -do- you know about me?"Â?

He'd found her in California, he'd known what to get her to drink, it didn't feel like coincidence but it didn't feel like a stalker either.
Bao 13 years ago
"If I thought it was justified or acceptable I should have more children than I do and I should not be sitting here with you. It is part of my job and part of who I am to bring those who are worth something into to clan. Not to dilute our strength by turning people randomly and seeing if they sink or swim."Â?

Bao was both a little surprised and a little disturbed he was being this honest with Pakpao. It was not part of his plan. However, he found her direct questions rather... he couldn't find the right word for it. Still, despite her sullen, surly, attitude and her juvenile insistence on holding to her hurt, Bao found that he was beginning to like her, and not just for what he'd seen in her before and her technological skills. He might actually like -her-. It boggled the mind.

A rather astute question, unfortunately he was certain it was asked more out of fear than anything else. He was going to be paying for his bad judgment for some time apparently.

"Perhaps more than I should. You'll have to forgive me once I found you again I couldn't resist doing some research. I'm certain you would do the same in my place."Â?
Pakpao 13 years ago
"Fair enough. Do I even want to know what else you know?"Â?

She was a bit worried he was a flat out stalker. Although Pak was more worried for her friends and her clan than for herself, anything she could do to keep him away from Kem, Aishe , Reign and the few other people she let into her life would be worth it.

Pak raised an eyebrow at that little speech. It didn't -sound- rehearsed but you never knew. Pak almost wished he'd be more evasive, she wanted a reason to continue to hate him. Oh, she didn't like him yet, far from it, but it was getting harder to hate him.

"OK, so you're picky about who you snack on good for you. Why did you pick me?"Â?

And there it was out in the open. That was the big question. Why?

Pak leaned forward, she -wanted- to hear this answer she needed to know. And given what he'd just said, the question had grown exponentially. She spun her drink alternately staring at the table and staring him down; both desperately wanting the answer and yet afraid of it.