Pencil Me In (attn: Bao)

Mara rode the elevator up to Bao's office, opened the door, and peeked in. It was obviously unlocked, but most of the lights were out save one in what she assumed was his office.

Having just come from dinner with Pak, Mara had walked the distance to Bao's place while composing her thoughts. She knew he would be upset, but he also had the impression that Amir had tasked her with contacting Pak for him, using their feminine connection, or whatever women did.

Knocking softly on Bao's door, Mara peered in. Bao was reading a letter or something of that nature, head tilted down, reclining back in a chair behind a large wooden desk.

"Good evening," she said politely when he looked up. "May I come in?"

Bao 13 years ago
Bao was scowling at a lengthy and whiny letter from a recently relocated clan mate. The man seemed to think that Bao had shirked his duty. It didn't make Bao happy. This man was less than discreet and was the cause of his own problems, but now he was going to have to take time out of his schedule to sort it out. Perhaps he would pawn this off on someone, he'd have to consider that.

Considering what he might need to do with this situation, he heard the outer office door open. He assumed it would be Amir or possibly Dana and so did not look up right away. When he did, Bao was quite surprised to see Mara.

"Good evening indeed. I did not expect to see you tonight."Â?

His lips twitched in a vague semblance of a smile when Mara asked if she could come in.

"Obviously you can and you have."Â?

She would be here for a reason, Mara didn't often make social calls, at least not to him. And if it were purely social, she most likely wouldn't have come to his office.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara tilted her head and opened the door wide enough to slip through. "In my defense I had to come in to ask if I could come in," she said, smiling slightly with amusement.

Sibling or no, Mara wasn't going to allow herself to be caught alone with any man. Almost any man. She kept the big desk between herself and Bao but she crossed the wide room and perched carefully in one of the big chairs on the other side of the desk.

There was no sense in making small talk with Bao; he would see it as a stalling technique and Mara didn't intend to stall.

"I've come to ask you if you'll go to the House of Pain with me the night after tomorrow. I think you'll find it educational."

A mischievous smile, not unlike their creator's lit up her face for a moment as she delivered her invitation. The House of pain was certainly not their usual venue.
Bao 13 years ago
"You should have been a lawyer."Â?

Bao mused as Mara exploited a technicality. He turned back to his letter for a second, before filing it carefully to be dealt with later and simply waited for Mara to explain why she was here. He didn't have to wait long and he appreciated that.

Although that wasn't quite as to the point as he would like.

Bao raised an eyebrow. The House of Pain, was not one of his favorite 'hang outs' he was much happier at Club Eternity if he were at all inclined to go out. It also didn't seem to be something that would be Mara's preferred venue. So he was quite curious.

"I'm sure that on any given night there is much that is... ... educational about the House of Pain."Â?

He was tempted to leave it at that, to just wait for Mara to tell him why, but her expression was some what endearing and Bao opted to play the game.

"What specifically might I learn?"Â?
Mara 13 years ago
Mara wrinkled her nose at Bao's suggestion and shook her head. "Not for me," she said. "Too many people involved." Having to talk to people day in and day out wasn't Mara's idea of fun. Or employment.

She certainly wasn't about to tease Bao or lead him on so she shrugged her shoulders.
"In this case, it has to do with your little project, the one I've been helping with." She had mentioned Pak to Bao before; that wouldn't surprise him.

"I've gotten Pakpao to agree to meet you there. I think she wants to learn about you."

Mara sat still, letting Bao take in that bit of information.
Bao 13 years ago
Bao smiled slightly at Mara's protest that the law meant dealing with too many people. There were ways to practice and yet meet very few, if any of your clients. But as she didn't lack for direction in life and certainly had other talents, there was no need to peruse it.

Little project? Ah yes his wayward daughter. Bao had made some effort to stay away from her since Mara first brought it up. As they didn't move in quite the same circles, in fact as near as he could tell she was quite retiring, it had been relatively easy. That, however, didn't make him any less anxious to get a hold of this woman.

When Mara said Pakpao had agreed to meet him Bao's eyebrows rose high. He was truly shocked. Pakpao had seemed alternately terrified of him and furious with him. Leaning back in his chair, his elegant fingers steepled together under his chin he considered the idea for several seconds.

"Really? What kind of magic did you use to accomplish this miracle?"Â?
Mara 13 years ago
"The simplest kind," said Mara, folding her hands neatly in her lap and meeting Bao's curious gaze with a frank one of her own. "We just had a little discussion, during which I attempted to convince her that you aren't some kind of monster."

Mara's own insatiable curiosity was getting the better of her, though. She arched her brows speculatively at the younger vampire before her and said, "Why do you do it, Bao? Why do you provoke her, scare her? Do you know how hard it makes it to talk to her about you?"

Did Amir even know the extent to which Bao had truly tormented Pak? Mara thought that perhaps he didn't, for no matter the similarities in their experiences, Amir would never countenance the sort of psychological warfare that Bao had seemed to delight in with Pak.
Bao 13 years ago
"As I am hardly a monster, I thank you for persuading her the same."Â?

It had never been Bao's attention to provoke the woman, perhaps to frighten her a bit. But there was a reason for that. It wasn't something he was overly proud of, but it was a reason.

He sighed heavily.

"At first it was a tactic, one that backfired rather badly. The rest is mostly in her own mind. She demonstrated an unusual strength of character, she tried to resist my command and frightened as she was she fought me physically as well."Â?

As Bao recalled she fought with a certain intelligence and even some cunning, if a total lack of training. But the point was she hadn't given in. Even when she had submitted to his command her eyes had been furious rather than vacant.

"I wanted to convince her that she needed me, I believed that she would turn to someone stronger than herself for answers."Â?

Bao still believed that Pakpao would have, that she would have sought him out and demanded answers.

"I did not barging on her husband being a fearful, superstitious and protective man. The few times I have seen her here in Nachton I've not made so much as a move toward her, she panics and runs on her own."Â?

Bao simply left out their encounter in California. That one was a bit harder to explain. She had attacked him and he had reacted poorly. Acting as he'd been trained and not thinking the consequences through.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara regarded Bao with a skeptical eye, but she wasn't here to psychoanalyze him or judge him. She'd just been curious. She wondered what Amir would say about Bao's methods. But then, Mara knew that Amir had searched for Kiamhaat. At least, he had told her he had and Mara had no reason to doubt him. As far as she knew, Amir had never lied to her about anything.

It was a mess, that was all. Mara was surprised they'd all gotten this far, lived this many years, without having to face their pasts and their respective relationships. Bao's time was up, though, and he would have to sit down face to face with Pakpao and explain this to her. Mara didn't Pak would ever join Anantya, ever even want to, but if bao still held out that hope then perhaps he would be kinder to her when they met.

She responded to his thanks with a shrug of her shoulders.
"I don't think she's entirely persuaded, but she will ask her questions and you'll have the chance to persuade her yourself."

For her part, Mara had never felt the need to turn anyone. She'd never tried it and she didn't anticipate doing so in the immediate future. She had had familiars over the years but for the most part she had been content to be Amir's companion.

"I don't envy you," she said to Bao, and she felt a little glimmer of mischief again. "I wll learn from your example though. If I ever have the urge to turn anyone, that is."
Bao 13 years ago
Bao didn't care if Mara believed him or not. His concern was in forming some kind of a relationship with Pakpao, possibly persuading her to join Anantya, and hopefully in some way recovering this mess he'd made. For what it mattered though, he'd told Mara the truth.

"No, I don't suspect she will be easily impressed or convinced of anything. To be frank I'm more than slightly surprised you got her to listen, let alone agree to meet."Â?

Bao realized with a bit of a start that he was nervous. He wasn't afraid of this daughter of his, he was afraid of making a bigger mess. It was recoverable, he had to believe that.

He snorted at Mara's quip and the corners of his mouth twitched upward, but not so much as to be considered a smile..

"You know quite well that my other offspring are valuable and productive members of the clan and have never run away from me."Â?

They were good men, each brining something valuable and unique to their family and goals.

"Perhaps my mistake was in trying to turn a woman."Â?

It did fascinate him that Mara had never turned any one. She had a great deal to offer a young vampire and she would certainly chose wisely.

"You might consider it some day. You might find it a rewarding experience."Â? He paused thoughtfully, "My experience with Pakpao aside that is."Â?
Mara 13 years ago
Mara chuckled at Bao. "Yes, maybe that was it. We women are so mysterious and enigmatic that no man should try to turn us without intimate knowledge of our most inner workings."

It was such a basic male perception that Mara couldn't help but laugh. Throughout the years men in any culture were the same. And women took advantage of it on occasion. Somehow, she didn't think that Pak's turning had gone wrong because Pak had breasts.

"And if you honestly believe that I have a few business propositions for you." Mara's grin was genuine; she was really just pulling Bao's leg now. And he had, indeed, made a phenomenal mess of this one child's life.

"Someday, maybe," Mara shrugged. "I have never met anyone I really wanted to do that to. I'm fine with the family I have."

She knew it was part of her duty to her Clan to turn those she considered worthy of it... but it wasn't her fault if her standards were high.
Bao 13 years ago
After a seconds hesitation Bao smiled ruefully, it wasn't often he allowed himself to be the butt of a joke, but this time it was a situation of his own making. He could hardly get upset under the circumstances. He did think perhaps there was something to the idea, but it was hardly a majority of the problem.

"You would think after all this time I would understand women better, but I don't."Â?

No man did, not fully, not in Bao's opinion. Mara, whether she would acknowledge it or no, was a fine example of that theory.

"I bought the Brooklyn Bridge and the swamp land in Florida years ago. I turned quite a profit on that land, the bridge, however, was a loss."Â?

He returned her teasing easily.

He paused, thoughtfullly for a moment before very seriously saying,

"When you finally do find someone,"Â? and Bao had no doubt she would, eventually. "just be certain you do a better job of it than I have in this case."Â?
Mara 13 years ago
Mara snorted softly at Bao's rejoinder. It was good to know her younger sibling had some sort of sense of humor, albeit a dry one. The fact that he could manage to laugh at his own errors, no matter how bitterly, gave her some hope for the meeting between Bao and Pak. They would need to be flexible, the two of them, if they were to communicate anything at all and avoid degenerating into an argument.

Mara shook her head at Bao.
"I don't forsee that happening in the near future." She offered him a smile. "The people I care about are already here with us. I don't need more."

That was the truth. She had Shades, she had Bao, she had her few friends and was almost distressingly close to making another overture of friendship to Pak. And she had her creator. Who could ask for anything else?

Standing, she smoothed the fabric of her jeans and straightened her shirt.
"Two nights from now," she confirmed. "At the House of Pain. Say, midnight."
Bao 13 years ago
Bao inclined his head in silent agreement. There was nothing wrong with Mara being particular about who she turned. In fact, it showed some good judgment, and some foresight.

Midnight? He actually had a conference call he had to be on, but this was more important, he would rescheduled. It had taken two centuries to find Pakpao and arrange a meeting, rescheduling that, especially after al the trouble Mara had gone to, would be unconscionably rude.

"I shall be there without fail."Â?

And prepared for an argument. Pakpao may have agreed to a meeting but it might only be to tell him off. He doubted, very much doubted, she had decided to forgive him or come willingly into the fold.

"Thank you Mara. I appreciate what you've done."Â?
Mara 13 years ago
"It was my pleasure, little brother." Mara's voice was amused but not mocking. "I will be there as well, to make sure nothing untoward happens to you. We can't be too careful after all."

And to make sure Pak's peace of mind stayed intact, but Mara saw no need to mention that.

"Would you like to go together, or shall I just meet you there?"

It didn't matter to Mara. The House of Pain was almost a living, thriving entity of its own. No matter when she got there she would dislike it. Too many people in one spot.
Bao 13 years ago
Bao considered smiling at that, but didn't. He was more than able to hold his own if things should turn violent. But he wasn't fool enough to turn down offered back up, for all he knew she would turn up with half of Evenhet and he wasn't arrogant enough to think he could handle more than a few.

"Then I will see you there."Â?

Hmmmm... together or separate? Bao weighed the options. On the one hand, Pakpao had a relationship with Mara and didn't seem to be threatened by her. On the other hand, he didn't want her to feel ganged up on. Ultimately, he decided that this was his responsibility and that he had to handle this. Mara had done more than her share.

"Why don't we just meet there?"Â?

Mara nodded, they both exchanged quick polite good byes and Bao went back to work. There would be time to plan this meeting later in the day.

((OOC... both out with permission))