Postgame Production (private: Amir)

Behind the noise and the slightly smoky air of Shades' main lounge was a short hallway. At one end was the kitchen and in the hallway was the door to the alley on the side of the building, but at the other end of the hall was another small room, nestled into a very small space under the stairs which led up to Shades' apartment and the homes of his two or three tenants.

Mara often used this room during her visits to Nachton. It was large enough for an old couch, an armchair, and a single old end table with a lamp to fit in very close quarters. The stairs overhead had been added to slightly to create some little book shelves. It was here that she had taken Amir after his drug-induced trip by Xephier, and it was here that she often spoke to Shades in the late hours of the morning, when most of their kind were asleep. It wasn't her room, but it was cozy and familiar to her and Shades had given her permission to use it, along with Amir, when they required a place away from listening ears or spying eyes.

She had no doubt that Amir intended to meet her here, so when she dressed the following night and entered the club, it was to this room she came. Shades knew she was here; she'd caught his eye upon entering. They would be left undisturbed for the time being, although if Shades did decide to interrupt they would both defer to him.

Mara was dressed for dancing in a loose, flowy red skirt that floated around her calves. Her feet were clad in dainty red ballet slipper-shoes. Her top, modestly cut as always, was a fitted t-shirt with a scoop neck. Casual attire without being grungy. And easy to get out of in a pinch, should she suddenly need to be unseen.

She sat on the end of the couch nearest the lamp, reading one of the books from the small shelf overhead. Shades' tastes were varied, and tonight she had picked up an anthology of classic American short stories. Not normally her favorite, but they would do for now.

Amir 13 years ago
It wouldn't have been polite to slip into Shades' by the back door, so Amir entered the traditional way. Well-fed and finally fully healed, he didn't glance at the club's clientele on his way into the back hallway, save to greet Shades as he went by the bar.

This wasn't his usual sort of environment; it was too full of drinkers and smokers and everything always smelled slightly of both elements. Shades' was, however, a safehouse of sorts. Many of them had used it as such over the decades it had been in existence and Amir was no exception.

The only thing he didn't really like was the fact that here, he always felt... a little young. It wasn't something he was used to experiencing at all. But under Shades' watchful eye, he felt a little like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar and he could never figure out why. It wasn't that Shades didn't like him; on the contrary, Amir and Shades got along very well. It was more as if Shades was expecting something from Amir, and Amir never seemed to quite measure up. It made him cranky. In anyone else he might have questioned - but Shades was Shades.

He went quietly down the hallway, although he didn't make any particular effort. The music and the dancing outside combined with the lively kitchen staff were enough to cover the noise of several small explosions. At the end of the hall he turned the corner under the stairs and found Mara exactly where he'd expected her.

She sat on the old, faded couch, legs crossed at the knee, one small foot bobbing in time to the laid back swing they could barely hear through the wall. She was reading a shabby little book in the yellow light of the one dim lamp, but she looked comfortable.

"Hey," he said, interrupting her, although he knew she had heard him approach. He entered the room, leaving the narrow door open behind him, and crouched in front of Mara, looking at the cover of the book. "Anything good?"
Mara 13 years ago
Mara didn't look up at Amir until he spoke, mostly to gauge his mood. She didn't think he would be angry with her now; he hadn't been earlier that morning and he generally didn't change his initial reactions.

"Nothing you'd like," she said as he crouched before her. She tipped the book up so he could see it, smiling a little as he wrinkled his nose at it.

Like her, he was casually dressed. He wore jeans, stylishly loose but not baggy. A black tee was tucked into them and on top of that, untucked and unbuttoned, a dress shirt of deep blue. He looked rested and happy, and it pleased her to see him whole again. Both eyes glittered at her in the dim light, the left one having regenerated fully once more.

She didn't comment on his state of health; proud Amir would simply get prickly over the matter. Obviously he was fine. A reminder wouldn't serve her purposes. Mara suspected what he wanted to talk to her about, and she needed him in a good mood. She and Bao weren't supposed to be meeting clandestinely, hypothesizing about Subira behind Amir's back.

Prepared for all manner of questioning on the topic, Mara patted the couch beside her.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir made a face at Mara's book. Definitely not for him. She set it aside though, indicating she was ready to talk. So he rose and sat beside her on the worn, comfortable couch. He watched her for a moment before speaking. He wasn't used to voicing doubts, and when he did so it was usually only in front of one or two people. Most of the time he liked to be confident in his actions, committing himself to a course and believing in it fully. Therefore, it was difficult to say what he was trying to say.

"I know you're worried," he finally began. "I know you have ideas. Theories."

He looked right into her eyes, wishing he could see just how her mind worked. The cool, pale grey stared back unblinking, and he shook his head. "I need you to work with me, Mara."
Mara 13 years ago
Mara heard Amir, heard the tone of voice he spoke with, and it wasn't entirely confident. She raised her eyebrows at him.

"You don't think we're wrong," she stated flatly. It wasn't a question. It was, in part, spoke with some small measure of disbelief.

Amir was devoted to Subira. But Mara knew as well as the next person that Amir wasn't stupid. To hear him come so close to acknowledging these facts out loud, though, was surprising.

"So you knew what she intended before she sent you out," she asked, wondering just how much he would admit to.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir shook his head, a brief motion, as if he had to force himself to do that much. "I don't know that you're wrong," he said carefully, "but I don't know that you're entirely right."

Mara was afraid, definitely worried, and he needed to figure out how to reassure her, harness her nervous energy before she became a destructive force. Amir had gotten a taste of her ferocity the previous night, and it had startled him. Mara was generally the quiet one on the sidelines, the watcher and observer.

"I know that lately, some of Subira's actions, some of her responses, have been unusual." He wasn't going to openly betray his creator, not even privately here, in front of Mara. "I won't deny that something more is going on, something she won't tell me, or can't yet."

He rested one arm along the back of the couch, long fingers drumming it as he thought.
"Either way though, Mara, I owe her my loyalty. I will do as she asks, and I need you and Bao, and yes, Dana too, to be observant - but silent."

This part was imperative to Amir. It was one thing to risk himself when carrying out the duties of his job, and when he understood the objectives he didn't hesitate to send in whoever was the best suited for a task. Something new was happening though, and thus far he hadn't been enlightened.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara bristled inside at the thought that Amir still wouldn't see things clearly, but she had to concede the point - aside from what she suspected, she also had no concrete evidence that Subira was intentionally endangering him. That Amir was even listening to what had to seem like a senseless paranoia to him was remarkable.

Her brief insecurities about Dana had faded; she wasn't being replaced. If anything, she was reassured that Amir still cared. If he didn't, he wouldn't have waited until now to speak to her. He'd have done so in his suite earlier.

Still, Amir's message to her now frightened her. Mara sat forward, turning toward Amir, and reached out, placing her small hands on either side of his face.

"You're putting yourself in more danger. If I am right, you may not have a second chance."

Amir was very good at survival. Mara didn't doubt that. She didn't even doubt the possibility that without their intervention earlier Amir might still have managed to escape the pack of wolves that had pinned him. But by denying that Mara, Bao, or Dana had played any role at all in the evening's events Amir placed himself foremost on Subira's radar.

If, as Mara suspected, Subira truly did see Amir as competition for power, he'd just made himself far more of a threat to her.

Mara dropped her hands, wrapping her arms around Amir's waist and folding herself forward, resting her cheek against his chest.

"Maybe I'm just jumping at shadows," she murmured, acknowleding, as he had, that nothing was entirely clear yet, "but I don't like gambling with your life."
Amir 13 years ago
Amir moved his arm from the back of the couch as Mara leaned against him, wrapping her in a fond embrace and resting his cheek on top of her head. Sitting there quietly for a moment, he closed his eyes and sighed.

"I can handle the danger," he said softly. "It's not like we haven't been in it before. And give credit where it's due. I won't go in blindly. To anything."

Reassuring Mara was something he'd spent centuries doing. Why, of all his children, was she the one he allowed this kind of weakness from? He shook his head against her silky hair. Because it was Mara. because this trait was a part of her. And because, deep down, he was still making up for a humanity she had lost because of him.

He tightened his arms around her and smiled; they had looked out for each other, really. If he'd shown Mara love, she had returned it tenfold. They'd patched each other up, schemed together, traveled together... they were used to each other.

"You're not gambling," he said, a little more firmly. "I am, and it's my choice. Mara. If what you say has any merit at all, you have to realize that I can't do anything but obey, right?"

Suppose, for a moment, Mara's crazy idea was correct and for some reason his own creator was trying to remove him. She was in Africa. How was Amir supposed to do anything from here? The first sign of insubordination would have her sending more of her people to keep him in line. Amir was one of the few she had who she trusted to work alone, and that trust was, apparently, a blessing as well as a curse at the moment.

"But she wouldn't do that," he said. "She has no reason. I don't know where you came up with it, Mara."

For once the words sounded hollow to his own ears. Amir couldn't ignore the thoughts that had gone through his head while he was lying in his bed healing from wounds that should probably never have been inflicted. On the one hand, it could have happened to anyone. But on the other, his own insistence on Subira's testing was a weak argument.
Mara 13 years ago
Well Amir had her there. Mara wrinkled her nose against the soft cotton of his shirt. She could either say she was sure she'd imagined it, which would free him to scold her like a foolish child and forget the whole theory, or she could smile and nod, because in this he was actually correct. Either way he would have to continue following Subira's orders. What she objected to was his apparent naivety on the topic of motivation.

"She has every reason," Mara said, "if you look at it from her point of view. Subira builds power. It's what she wants. And every time someone or something has gotten in her way they've been... taken care of."

Amir knew that better than anyone; often, he'd been on the delivering end of Subira's justice.

"Look at yourself," she continued. "You've outlived many of your siblings. You've defeated numerous adversaries on your own. You've created your own children who are loyal to you. You're not her groupie anymore, Amir. Not from her viewpoint."

He was exasperating. Here he was, admitting to her that there might be something of merit in her idea and still trying to find ways to defend his creator. And Mara couldn't really say anything against him because in the end he was right. Until they had more information, things had to continue as normal. And if Subira threw another crazy assignment at him, he would have to take it.

"What do you want me to do now?"

Mara had no doubt that Amir had come to give her her own mission. Probably something to do with sorting out clues and finding answers. It was what she did best.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir fell still as Mara spoke. He nodded as she ticked off each point on what had to be a mental checklist. She made a compelling case; he'd already admitted as much. And Mara's hunches were often correct. That was what he found unsettling. He wanted to believe that she was wrong, that her pre-existing bias was causing her to be a little less perceptive than usual.

He heard her question, slightly muffled by his shirt as it was. Lifting his head he looked down at her; she wasn't looking back. She didn't like being in this position any more than he did. Apparently they were both a little unnerved. For Amir, it was a matter of having everything neatly categorized. He liked to know where everyone stood on his scale. Subira had always held her position, stayed in her compartment in his head, and now if Mara was correct she'd moved far outside of it. Even if she was incorrect the fact that Subira was encouraging him to take risks like last night's was unusual. He now had to sort out this new mystery and re-categorize his creator, if necessary, and he didn't like that one bit.

"I need you to trust me," he said solemnly. "If things are changing, if any of you think is true, we're going to need to be sharp. And we're going to need your abilities more than ever."

As well as his. And with that, Amir, realized, he harbored his first thought, ever, of veering away from Subira's side. It wasn't much. Just an "if" and a 'maybe" but it was there.
Mara 13 years ago
Huh. Not a mission. Not an order. Just a request, and one that Mara was surprised to hear. She raised her head a little, tilting her face up to see Amir inches away, looking back down at her.

"Of course I trust you," she said. Why would he question her? Mara had never wavered from his side in fifteen hundred years. She wasn't about to start now, when he really did need her.

Her face was open, her expression easily readable. She stared hard at him and finally said,
"I'm going to be difficult, though, if you insist on trying to shelter me. Us. Sooner or later you may have to rely on us too."
Amir 13 years ago
Mara finally looked up, black locks falling away from her face. Amir smiled down at her, caught in her pale eyes for a few moments. She was beautiful, at least to him. Now, her looks were maybe more striking than beautiful. In a world where soft, rounded faces had become the newest standard of beauty, Mara's was in contrast slightly more harsh and sculptured. She had the classic Egyptian face; high cheekbones, slightly angular jaw, strong nose. She looked a lot like her father, just more feminine.

And, of course, those same hypnotic eyes.

Mara's expression was easy for Amir to read. Concern warred with determination, both emotions causing her to narrow her lips a little bit. her almond-shaped eyes also narrowed slightly, a sign of her resolve. Her words, spoken just inches away from him, definitely hit a nerve.

"I do rely on you." She had changed the pronoun to a plural, covering up... well, something. Amir was well aware that his responding 'you' could be taken either way, but obviously he as responding to her plural.

He continued to meet her pale gray gaze.
"I need you to stay calm, to listen to what I ask of you. To follow orders exactly."

Why couldn't he just admit it? Fine. "I need you to stay safe. Or, as safe as I can make it for you."

He wanted his children to make it out of whatever storm they were going into intact. He knew there were some huge differences between himself and his creator's methods. She had never entirely approved of his attachments to those he brought into their world. Too soft on them. It was why he had never let her fully take over their training; he disagreed with some of her methods.

Yes, they might be killed tomorrow doing their duty for their Clan. But he was going to take every measure to do his, and his job as their creator was to help them flourish.

"Don't ask me to do less than my own job, Mara. I have a duty to you, too."
Mara 13 years ago
Amir's voice whispered over her like a cool breeze, and she took a deep breath in as if she could taste his words, smell them, feel them. He was still being stupid. But he was being stupid and endearing, and Mara had issues with that. She couldn't argue though. He'd taught them all the value of duty, of obligation, and he did, indeed, have a responsibility to care for those he created.

This was why it didn't pay to get close to anyone. Why Mara didn't want that kind of emotion. She couldn't help but be close to Amir, and look at where it had brought her. She was terrified, afraid of losing him, but not afraid to admit that to herself. The one thing Mara didn't want, though, was to feel that gut-wrenching pain of watching someone you love leave you. She'd felt it too many times at too young an age to cope well with it now.

"I know you'll do your job," she said, feeling herself tremble slightly, "but you promised not to leave me, long ago. So see that you keep your promise."
Amir 13 years ago
Amir shifted his arms around Mara, lifted her slightly to pull her closer. Something had her terrified; whatever it was that had had her so on edge earlier that morning was still there. As he pulled her close, he felt her shake. Her next words were soft, but clearly she was trying not to let him see the depth of her emotion. They told Amir exactly what was wrong, though.

He knew Mara didn't have many friends, and he knew she wanted it that way. Maybe a handful of them knew her well enough to be considered "friends," and only Amir had ever been allowed to treat her as informally as he was now. It came with hundreds of years of doing exactly what he'd noted before - working together, bleeding together, doing things as a family, as a cohesive unit. He had long since abandoned his pride with her; she knew him better than anyone. And she was afraid now that he would be gone.

"So I did," he acknowledged the old promise with a soft smile. "I do try to keep my promises."

He froze as soon as the words left his mouth, realizing how close she was, how close he was to her. No wonder she was shaking. This sort of contact wasn't normal for Mara. Still, she'd initiated it.

Amir dropped his head and let his forehead touch hers.

"I'll keep that one."
Mara 13 years ago
Mara smiled back at Amir, full of trust. He never made promises lightly. Not to her, at any rate. Not to any of his children, she would think. He might be capable of deception, lies, half-truths, and misdirections, but in Mara's experience he had never used those skills upon her.

She closed her eyes, her head touching his, her arms wrapped around his waist. It wasn't the perfect promise but it was the best he could give. She could live with that.

Slowly, reluctantly, Mara pulled away from Amir.
"It's a deal then," she said, nodding her head. "You keep your promise, and I'll do as you ask. As long as it's reasonable."

It wasn't safe to stay there with him, where she wanted to be, where she felt at home. There were still things he didn't know, things he would catch onto if she wasn't careful, because he was that quick.

Mara sat up, dropping her arms and feeling cool air as she broke Amir's embrace.
"Go on," she nodded her head at the door, dismissing him saucily, "or I'll make you dance."
Amir 13 years ago
Those seemed to be the right words, but Mara was pulling away now. Amir noted that she was still shaken, but she was recovering. He let his arms fall away from her and nodded.

"Deal."

He was being dismissed now, ironically. Amir couldn't help but grin at the threat, however. "Believe me, I'm going," he said. "You know where to find me for the next night or two."

Laying low was definitely warranted in their situation. "I'll see you at the Manor. Soon."

It wasn't a request, and yet it was at the same time. Amir couldn't make Mara show up, but she would. She always did.

He stood and dropped his hand lightly to the side of her head. bending, he gently kissed the top of her head as was habit, and let his hand trail away as he exited the room, this time leaving Shades' by the door into the side alley.

((ooc: Amir out))
Mara 13 years ago
Mara closed her eyes once more to the brush of Amir's lips, light against her head, and the sensation of his fingers trailing away from her hair. She opened them in time to see him disappear around the stairway, and she waited.

Curling onto the corner cushion, she rested her chin in her hand and propped it on the arm of the couch. Her eyes stared at nothing at all, unblinking, until a movement at the door got her attention.

"You do good work."

Mara sighed.
"Are you sure this is the way to go about it?"

"I don't know any other."

The big man leaned against the door frame casually, arms crossed. She peered at him peevishly.

"I don't like misleading him."

There was a moment of silence and then a booming laugh. "You're kidding."

Shades shook his head at Mara, teeth white against the darkness of his skin. "If you think that's the case you're only misleading yourself, child."

He turned and walked down the hallway, chuckling to himself the entire way. Mara, frozen in place, just sat on the couch and stared, fingering a lock of her hair.

((ooc: Mara out))