The Calm Before (attn: Mara, Bao, Dana)

((ooc: Follows Have You Ever Seen the Rain... later that day.))

Amir opened his eyes. There were two of them, that was a plus. The left one still wasn't working like it should, being somewhat malformed and not entirely there, but he had an eyelid to blink so he did. The stars told him it was some time after mid-day. His body told him it required more blood. His brain told him that going to sleep in blood-soaked leather had been low on the list of good ideas, but as he recalled there hadn't been much choice.

Throwing aside the thick blankets but making sure not to disturb Dana, he pulled the now-dry IV lines from his arm and watched with satisfaction as the skin closed up around the tiny punctures. Standing carefully, he assessed the possibility of mobility.

Step one: something in his unhealed ankle crunched. Step two: something in his left knee popped but held. Step three: he had no depth perception and nearly broke his nose on the half-opened door. All of that aside, he made it to the bathroom with a change of clothes and regarded with distaste the mess of the morning's earlier patch-work. Moving everything out of the way for the moment, he sat on side of the tub where he recalled Mara being previously and proceeded to work his way out of his incredibly stiff leathers. As if having plates of silver hadn't made them difficult enough, they were now twice as hard to get out of. The feat was finally accomplished, but with enough hissing and cursing in multiple languages to have woken up half the Manor.

Grumbling, still in pain, and twice as grouchy as he started, Amir scowled his way through a hot shower and wished many evil things upon Xephier as he inadvertently got soap into every tiny little laceration, and the not-so-tiny patches of still-healing skin on his face.

Dressing was an ordeal all over again and he decided he'd rather go back to bed, but hunger called and it was time to help himself to something more substantial than bagged blood and less self-defeating than his childrens'. It didn't take long to secure a willing servant and he limped his way by the two shapes in his living room to meet said human and drink his fill before returning.

Upon re-entering his suite he moved to the couch and sat, trying not to disturb Mara, who slept on the opposite end of the couch curled into a suspiciously cat-like ball.

He waited for several minutes, tapping his fingers against the arm of the couch, playing the waiting game before finally rolling one and a half eyes.

"Oh come on. Neither one of you is fooling anyone."

Mara 13 years ago
Mara shouldn't have found it humorous but she did. The knowledge that Amir was all right gave her some relief and she looked over to find Bao appearing similarly amused. They had each taken an hour or so to clean and change but they'd both returned to wait out the morning in Amir's rooms.

A thump-shuffle indicated their creator was heading their way, and like children caught with the light on after bedtime, they both closed their eyes and did their best to look asleep as Amir staggered past, left, and returned shortly. Mara half expected him to head into the bedroom but he didn't. Instead he took over the other end of the couch and waited.

And waited.

Finally, he called them both out in an irritable tone of voice and Mara, at least, opened her eyes. She flashed him a grin in the darkness of the living room and said,
"Well look what the cat dragged in."

The phrase was almost certain to not improve his mood at all; it was the same thing Shades had said to Amir when Mara had helped him after his last run in with Xephier. Her goal was not to make him feel warm and fuzzy, though, but to remind him.
Bao 13 years ago
He and Mara had both gone at separate times to clean up, neither leaving Amir and Dana completely alone. Bao, given his tendency to be -very- hard to wake hadn't allowed himself to sleep. Once he had confirmation Amir would be fine he'd find time to sleep.

Sounds indicated Amir was up, functioning and just fine, so Bao allowed himself to think of how far off schedule he was. The annoyance gave him some odd comfort though and he gave some mild form of annoyance back to Amir.

"I do need something of a nap. I have a busy night tonight."Â?

He did too, it would either be busy with Amir, Mara and Dana or he would try and recover some of his schedule. That remained to be seen.

Still and all Amir was up and cranky. Life was as it should be.
Dana 13 years ago
Dana lay in the bed she had shared with Amir and listened to him bitch and complain in more languages than she knew. Impressive, she chuckled to herself.

Instinct told her he did not want anymore help at the moment and while it didn't make her happy, she refrained from going to him. She listened as he completed his shower, dressed, left and returned. He did not come back to her and she nodded. He needed to talk with his children, and she needed a shower.

In Amir's closet she found a black button up dress shirt that would reach to about mid-thigh. It wasn't anything close to decent, but it would do until she could return to her quarters and put on something proper.

The bathroom made her cringe. Crouching, she looked under the sink and found a small box of trash bags. Very quickly she threw out everything thing that looked like garbage, and neatly tied off the bag. Picking up the leather she looked it over. It did not appear salvageable to her, but it was not her armor and she would not make that decision. Instead she folded it into a stiff, bloody but neat pile and left it on the side of the sink.

Satisfied with that much she turned toward the shower and caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. A startled gasp left her, blood had dried in random places on her body and face and her hair was a tangled halo around her head. It was a rather frightening picture she made, as she pulled the elastic from what was left of her braid and ran her fingers through the disaster.

Annoyed and disturbed, she turned on the water and stepped into the hot spray. A sigh escaped her and she took the time to thoroughly clean her hair and body. When she was clean, she took care of the remnants of blood in the bathtub that their two showers had missed.

With the little room back in order, Dana dried, combed her hair, and dressed in the shirt she'd borrowed from Amir's closet. Now she had to decide if she was going to sit in his living room with his children dressed only in his shirt, or quickly pass through said living room and return dressed in her own clothing.

With a sigh she left the steamy bathroom, and moved through the hall, stopping where it met the living room to lean against the wall, still completely unsure of where propriety lay in this situation.
Amir 13 years ago
Mara's subtle barb met Amir's imperturbable gaze. Inside, he winced slightly. She was vexed with him, and she had no reason to be. He'd known perfectly well what he was getting into last night. It had been a calculated risk and he'd taken several gambles, some of which had worked, some of which hadn't.

"Thanks for the drag," he said, unruffled, the words aimed at both of his children. Cocking an eyebrow at Bao he replied, "Don't let me keep you."

He didn't think Bao would leave quite so easily, but it was worth a shot... it was one less person to question his executive decision-making.

Relaxing into the couch with a groan and a grimace he listened to the sounds of the shower running for a second time. Dana, he swore, didn't sleep at all. She simply closed her eyes and pretended. No matter how careful he was not to wake her he was never successful.

Mara's pale eyes were locked on him and he gave her a sigh.
"Go ahead," he said. "You may as well get it over with."
Mara 13 years ago
Mara's opinion was that Amir still looked like crap, even after feeding yet again but she shrugged. It had only been a few hours and wounds like the ones the wolves had inflicted wouldn't heal immediately, ancient or no. She didn't mention it and didn't offer herself again; now that he was apparently capable of fending for himself he wouldn't accept.

She glared at him, narrowing her eyes as he prompted their criticism with a cavalier attitude that sent a red flag up for her.

"You're only expecting it because you know what you did was reckless," she said softly, angrily, "and you're not ready to admit that yet."

She had asked him if he wanted to talk about it earlier and he had declined. She should have pressed him while he was weak. She should have forced him to admit what had happened while he was lying there in the tub half dead. Now that Amir was up and moving, he was undoubtedly telling himself all kinds of things that were half-truths or deceptions.

But one thing was certain. Amir was clever, and his logic could at times be as convoluted as Mara's. Somewhere deep down he'd known what was happening.

"You knew something," she said. "You told Dana you were working, and you strongly suggested she see me about the weres. You knew it would come up in conversation, that I would find out, and that I, or both of us, would come."

By now, her keen senses had noted that the shower had been off for some while. She raised her voice. "You should be a part of this too, Dana," she said, loudly enough to be heard in the hallway.

"After all, you were the little bird last night."

It had been smart of Amir, at least, to have some sort of safety net. But to deny it now would be disturbing. She glanced at Bao. Just how far did Amir's devotion go, after all?
Bao 13 years ago
Bao only raised an eyebrow at Amir. He didn't say anything. That had been, for him a very strongly voiced opinion that Amir had been more than a bit stupid. So he didn't push any further, besides Mara was doing an excellent job on her own and certainly didn't need his help just yet.

He'd suspected Dana was the 'little bird' but still discreetly turned to look at her, half dressed and hovering in the hall way. It was an interesting way for her to show loyalty to Amir, to help them try and make sure he didn't get in over his head.

"I will concede you had more than a bit of bad luck running into so large a group,"Â?

'and that particular group' he added to himself. Although Bao did allow himself one fleeting thought of the good doctor. Pity Mara had let her go. Of course, those thoughts never showed on his face.

"But I will also agree that this was a very dangerous order. What if you had not left such a net?"Â?

Bao was torn on that point. He had great respect and admiration for Amir, but he was forced to admit that it certainly had looked like the wolves had had the advantage.
Dana 13 years ago
Pushing away from the wall, Dana moved into the living room. With Amir and Mara on the couch and Bao in the chair, Dana lowered to the floor next to Amir. Her legs tucked beneath her, and her hands in her lap.

"I'm not sure what else I can add. I said my peace before he slept, but I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. If I have an answer to them."

She wasn't entirely comfortable sitting in a room with her lover, her employer and a basically strange woman, in nothing but a button down shirt, but there was nothing to be done about it right now.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir blinked at Mara, surprised she was stating the obvious. It wasn't her style. "Of course I knew something was up," he said. "What, is the question. Something is going on on Subira's end, otherwise she wouldn't have asked me to go out under a full moon."

He looked down at where Dana sat, appealing in his shirt. "You said plenty." It was said kindly, with a small smile.

He looked at Bao next.
"Give me a little credit," he said acerbically. "Haven't I taught all of you? If you have to go out under a full moon, stay in populated areas or have backup and lots of it." His voice changed to a growl. "I'm hardly going to go against my own rules, am I? And when did this get to be the spanish inquisition?"

Amir was starting to feel very short-tempered. Yes, both Mara and Bao had come, along with Dana, in response to his (granted, very veiled) summons. His memories of the last bit of the fight were vague but he remembered throwing silver at Xephier and looking up at the moon.

"An order is an order," he said sternly. He'd taught his children to respect the chain of command. They shouldn't be so upset. "Do not take me to task for following mine, when I did my best to cut down on the risks. But in the end, I serve Anantya. everything we do must be for the Clan, no matter the cost."
Mara 13 years ago
Mara uncurled herself to sit up straight as Amir spoke. She felt herself shaking, out of anger, out of fear. His words were idealistic. Mara knew Amir believed in everything he said, but he saw things through the faulted eyes of a devoted follower. He couldn't see Subira's point of view. He didn't want to.

Unable to sit still she lunged forward with a short cry, grabbing Amir's wounded elbow and shaking it, watching him wince.

"Was this for the Clan?" she demanded. "Is it imperative for you to follow every order given even if it's a bad one?"

Mara squeezed Amir's elbow once more and released him, feeling her eyes tear up, embarrassed that they did. "And tell me, how would Anantya be served by losing you? How would your death strengthen the Clan, if one of its greatest assets against the wolves is torn down on some fool's errand under a full moon?"

Angry all over again, Mara swiped her wrist over her eyes. She hated arguments, she avoided confrontation at all costs. But that reticence of hers was now coming into direct conflict with her absolute devotion to her creator, and her love for Amir was winning out. She couldn't stand to lose him.
Bao 13 years ago
Bao bit back a sigh. Amir wasn't ready to hear this and he wasn't sure he was ready to push. It would be pointless. Not only would Amir wind up irritated, it was likely that he would not allow he and Mara to assist next time. He was torn, Amir needed to hear this, he needed to see the situation from fresh eyes but to lose his makers respect and regard would be a cruel price to pay. Besides, Mara was doing a fine job of saying everything that needed to be said.

For all his not quite jealousy toward Mara Bao found he wanted to protect his sister. He didn't think that Amir would take that outburst well. At least he wouldn't if it had come from Bao. He might take it from Mara though. So he simply sat, stoically, waiting for Amir's response.
Dana 13 years ago
Dana offered Amir a soft smile, that quickly faded as he spoke to Mara and Bao. He truly believe those things and that was almost more frightening than what she'd seen only hours ago.

Mara's outburst startled her and she leaned away from it, unsure of what to do as the desire to protect Amir and her lack of understanding warred with one another. In the end she did nothing, and waited for Amir's response.
Amir 13 years ago
If Amir had been shapeshifted, he would have pressed his ears flat back against his head at Mara's outburst. Her grip on his arm was painful, but even worse was seeing the expression on her face. He stared at her, the only sign of his reaction a slight widening of his dark eyes, and let her run herself out. He finally took in a breath when she let go of his arm, blowing it out slowly and glaring at her.

He seethed angrily, his quick temper rising at her presumptuous outburst. It wasn't for the child to chastise the creator. His job was just that, a job. And yet her words made sense in a way; Amir wasn't so blind as to believe he had no worth to Anantya beyond being a weapon.

Then she dashed a hand across her eyes, and he finally blinked at her. really looked at her. And softened slightly. Marginally. He was angry still, but he could see what lay beneath her loud words.

"Don't let fear blind you to what's necessary, Mara," he said softly, his voice hard but not cruel.

Amir watched his second eldest with hard, glittering eyes, unwilling to speak further to her here. She was too clever to let this get in the way of understanding. He was shaken, slightly, by the depth of emotion in her outburst. He knew Mara was probably the most sensitive of the vampires he'd created, but she was normally so much more in control.

Quietly, subtly, he dropped his hand to Dana's shoulder, seeking contact, speaking for both her and Mara at the same time.

"Sometimes the orders don't always make sense. But we carry them out anyhow."

As before, he hadn't initially seen the reason for Subira's demand of him that night. Now, however, he saw it fairly clearly, although he wasn't completely prepared to act on it yet.
Mara 13 years ago
Angry and embarrassed, Mara clamped down on her emotions and refused to let any tears fall, as if she could suck them back up and swallow them down. Amir's voice was hard, uncompromising, but not unkind. He wouldn't be unkind to her. She had to wonder at his words, though, and she glanced at Dana as he spoke.

Mara had long been Amir's friend, his favored child, the one vampire he'd created to whom he'd ever offered any amount of protection. She thought she'd known his reasons for doing so, but thousands of years had passed since day one. Had she finally been replaced? She hadn't been sheltered by any means; Amir wouldn't do that. But he'd kept her from harm many times, and had often come between her and Subira to keep Mara from that dangerous woman.

Perhaps Mara was finished, with that outburst. And perhaps it was Dana's time.

And yet, as she watched Amir, feeling hopeless and helpless, she caught something in his tone. An undercurrent she'd known before. Her insecurities faded slightly as she realized she was reading him wrong.

"I'm sorry," she said, gritting her teeth around an apology she didn't believe in. "I spoke out of fear, you're right."

She placed her hands in her lap, calm now, at least on the surface, and watched him. "What will you tell Subira about last night?"
Bao 13 years ago
It was one thing to question orders, but it was something else entirely to blindly obey stupid orders. Bao was certain that Amir would have his hide if he only blindly did what he was told. Of course, the irony of all this was that to question Amir at this point would be totally inappropriate. He relaxed somewhat when Amir didn't call Mara on this right away.

She raised a good point though, what to tell Subira. Bao's personal choice would be to tell her very little. But, he didn't know what exactly Amir's orders had been. It could be he'd failed a mission. There would be no way to cover that. She would know.

It had not escaped his notice that Amir had subtlety, in his own way, comforted both Dana and Mara.

"And of course they will be more ready for us at this point. We will need a plan of action no matter what is communicated to her."Â?

Bao knew that at least he had been identified. There was no doubt the good doctor had made him and certainly their alpha had... committed Amir's face to memory. As it were.
Dana 13 years ago
And just like that it all made sense to Dana. He'd sent her to Mara so that she could send in back up for him. He didn't understand Subria's orders, but had carried them out in his own way. He now had to decide what to do with the aftermath and it looked like planning, a great deal of it was on the way.

Dana rested her head on Amir's hand for a moment.
"If I might interject something."

She looked to Amir for permission. "Fear often blinds us, but it can also help to keep things crystal clear and etched into your mind."

That was all she had to add, until they spoke of what happened in the clearing, and she would not speak again until asked.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir waited as Mara visibly took control of herself. He would speak to her later, alone, of things he couldn't voice here. There was very little he felt he had to keep from Bao, and Dana was quickly getting to that point as well, but certain things he and Mara had discussed in the past were things he thought were best handled one on one. Mara's job was to be quiet and subtle, and it was easier for her to do the fewer people knew about her objectives. That would be imperative in the coming months, if he was correct.

At Dana's words, he nodded sharply.
"Yes, that's true too."

Mara's next question was more businesslike, much more what he expected from her. He looked at the three people in the room with him before he addressed it, and Bao's statement with it. "Last night never happened," he said. "I went out. I came back. End of story. You were never involved."

Amir bored his eyes into Mara as hard as he could. "Any of you."

Mara would do as he asked. She must; she hated arguments. She avoided confrontation. What she had just done to him had taken a lot from her. He didn't think she would push it again.
Mara 13 years ago
Mara didn't look at Dana when she spoke. She was upset, definitely off-balance, and felt like she was quickly losing control of a situation that she'd tried very hard to keep in check. She trusted Amir, but for the first time in a very long time he hadn't made his plans known to her beforehand and it confused her. He had something thought out; obviously, or else he wouldn't have had the foresight to send Dana on her errand to find Mara. yes, it had been a gamble. If Mara had been unavailable, or if Dana had waited a night, or if neither of them had mentioned Amir that evening - any number of circumstances could have prevented them from getting to him in time.

His next words made her cringe.
"Amir, why? She'll send you out again," Mara said softly.

If he denied any involvement from them and Mara and Bao were right about Subira's motives, she would find another, more difficult task for Amir. She would keep pushing him until he failed. Didn't he see that? How could he still not understand what was happening?

Nonetheless she nodded at him.
"All right. we weren't there."

And something burned in her chest at that particular lie.
Bao 13 years ago
Thank all that is holy Amir was seeing reason in this. He really wasn't in the mood to convince Amir of anything. He nodded sharply and business like. Bao relaxed just a bit.

"Sensible and simple enough for her."Â?

It was best she never know.

"It might be best if we had.. .."Â? Bao paused trying to find the best way to express this "Clear instructions from here out."Â?

Bao, ever organized and the rule follower wanted to know exactly want Amir would want from them from here out.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir regarded Mara coolly. He didn't want her to overthink any of this, but he couldn't deny what she said.

"Yeah. Probably," he agreed. "Like I said. Just because I don't understand it..." He didn't finish the sentence. Mara wasn't going to like it, but in the end they were his orders, not hers.

He didn't address the deeper question, not here. The concept of it, the whole idea, was so new to him that he was still wondering about it himself. He had to look into it first, to think on it from all sides. He was clever, but it was Mara who generally came to these quick conclusions. It said something, therefore, that she was so upset.

When it came to uncovering riddles, Amir could find a riddle within a riddle pretty well. Mara, however, could find the riddle within the riddle, solve them both, and explain why each was what it was while posing a third riddle of her own the the midst of it. It was baffling sometimes, the way her mind worked. Right now he felt like he was a few steps behind and he had to catch up.

He glanced down at Dana. She might be able to help. A new perspective wouldn't be at all bad.

Amir inclined his head to Bao, the closest he would come to any sort of apology
. "I'll do my best. But you were never meant to get involved here."

Not fully. Not in Subira's plans. Amir had an agenda of his own; he hadn't thought to embroil Bao and Mara, and certainly not Dana, in intrigue involving the weres. He didn't control fate, though. They were involved now and he would have to handle that.

"Enough, then," he said. "It is what it is, for now. If you're all done grilling me, I'm ready to sleep some more."

He turned to Dana and raised his brows, silently inquiring if she would stay. Turning to Mara he said,
"You're welcome to stay here if your room at the Manor is furnished yet."

Standing, he ignored the various residual aches and pains. Soon he would feed again and he would be fine within a few more hours. For now he was tired. Passing in front of where Mara sat, he reached out and bent, brushing her cheek with one hand and kissing the top of her head.

His whisper was quiet enough that even those with such good hearing as their current company wouldn't hear; barely an exhale.
"Tomorrow night, the club."

A little louder, he said, "Trust me Mara. I promise, it'll be clear soon."
Mara 13 years ago
Mara would have to go to sleep unsatisfied, it seemed. But by the tone of Amir's voice, the words he did say as well as the ones he left out, she knew the topic wasn't closed. She glanced at Bao to see what his expression was, but it was simply neutral, a little more relaxed than before.

"My room here is fine. But thank you." She'd slept on Amir's couch before; this time, however, she felt more like a third wheel. Amir had clearly invited Dana into his territory and made her feel comfortable... she was wearing his shirt, after all. no, this was no place for her tonight.

As Amir bent close, she closed her eyes. His barely-whispered message reached her ear and she made no movement, didn't twitch a muscle, nothing to give away that he'd given her anything but reassurance. She would be where he wanted her when he needed her there, as always. Her mind began to work furiously, though. He would need her to be as sharp as ever.

"I'll wait eagerly for that night," she said with irony as she stood.

((ooc: Mara and Amir out, pending responses))