Field Trip!

A few (hundred?) generations of abuse, on top of the fact that Drew was defiantly the low man on the totem pole had left Drew with the distinct feeling that Kem might not ever make any effort to get him up to collections, even in an observation only capacity. So this was a defiantly treat. Maybe if he was -really- good they'd let him play with something. Probably not though, it sounded like they had a few items that needed dating and placing. Kem was good at that. Hell Drew knew his reputation even though he was new in the field and fresh into the professional world.

He'd had just enough time to skim the little bit of information they'd been sent so he wouldn't look entirely unprepared, although he doubted he'd be able to offer much help even if he was asked. Yup research times was up, he half trotted to the door of Kem's office and half knocked even though the door was open, before sticking his head in.

"Ready to go Boss... er... Kem? Did you need me to grab anything?"Â?

Drew wasn't about to try to find his way to collections with out Kem. Not after that little, encounter in the stacks the other day.

Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Kem wasn't sure inviting Drew along to Collections had been such a good idea. The kid reminded him of a puppy. When he'd mentioned it, he could have sworn Drew's eyes had actually glowed. He was an archaeologist though, and the archives didn't always afford that much in the way of hands-on. Almost never, in fact.

Fortunately, Drew kept time better than he kept directions, for Kem was absorbed in a minor work issue that had him losing track of the time until his new employee's head popped in.

"Pick one," he said amiably, determined not to be renamed "Boss-er-Kem" for the remainder of his employ at Meridian. Already, half the archivists were referring to him by that new nickname, which he imagined was justly earned and he took with good humor. Still...

"I promise I'll answer to any one of them." he looked up at Drew hopefully. Someday it'd sink in. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow.

He closed his laptop and gathered up the data sheets he had on the artifacts in question. They were a series of potsherds that had been poorly labeled and stored away in a university collection about Egyptology for years, apparently, and the Collections folks didn't quite know what to make of them. They had dated back several thousand years but there were inconsistencies in the sample selections that apparently made them wonder if they were authentic at all. So they'd asked Kem to give it a shot.

All in all he wasn't entirely looking forward to it. He didn't particularly enjoy using his psychometry a lot. Some people got feelings from items, some got detailed information; he got time and place. And it was as if he traveled in fast-forward with the artifact in question, so when it was a very old item he tended to get a little nauseous. All that hopping around from continent to continent... ugh.

All of his internal whining couldn't stop time though, and regardless of his reluctance to actively be a psychometrist he was really looking forward to seeing if the samples were what they claimed to be.

"All right, let's go."

He nodded at Drew, closing his office door behind him, and led the way up a flight to the Collections.
Drew 13 years ago
"I'll work on it."Â?

Drew said with a slightly embarrassed grin. He had issues with names some times, not remembering them... using them. At least he'd gotten over the Mr. Raaisu thing. Which was just as well as it had been an odd pronunciation he was never sure he'd completely mastered. Maybe he'd rotate between the two, but as long as he didn't combine them it should be OK he reasoned.

Apparently there was nothing he needed to bring, but that was OK. He was just excited to see the shards. Egypt wasn't his forte but he'd take what ever he could get right now.

Cheerfully following along just a step or two behind Kem.

"So where do you plan to start? And how?"Â?

Drew asked curiously. Vampire or not he was willing to take tips from a master. This wasn't a situation he'd ever seen handled before. He'd read about them and how people sorted things back out and how some times years or decades later they'd find a mistake but he'd never been part of sorting things out. It was exciting.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Kem grinned at Drew. At least he had a sense of humor. "Okay, I'll take your word on it."

As they wound their way through the Collections floor, which in Kem's opinion was even more difficult to navigate than the archives, he shook his head and laughed.

"I plan to start the same way I imagine everyone else did. With my eyes."

He elaborated as they approached one of the collections managers, Ben, a man who was well-versed in all kinds of pottery and potsherds. If Ben was having trouble then Kem was certainly going to have to use everything he had.

"There are differences in texture, in chemical composition, in stain if there are dyes. I imagine they've already run tests," he said this last as they reached Ben, who nodded and handed him a small folder by way of greeting.

"Thanks," Kem said, leafing through it. "Ben, this is Drew. One of our new archivists. He has a background in archaeology so I thought he'd like to come along."

He let the two other say hello as he scanned the test results quickly. It looked like everything could have theoretically come from Egypt. Hmm. It'd be tough.

"Let's see what you've got," he said, handing the folder to Drew so he could also see the various analyses.
Drew 13 years ago
Kem had a very dry sense of humor. However, Drew could deal with that. Of course he didn't feel comfortable enough with the boss man to make any smart-ass retorts.

Oh crap, more shelves and places to get lost. He was -so- investing in breadcrumbs. Or maybe Nikhila or Reign could take him through the hedge maze a few times and try to help his sense of direction. Hmmmm... had better be Nikhila, Reign could get turned around too. Not too badly but enough that Nikhila would be the better choice. Although Reign could tell him how she got unturned around... heck he'd take them both.

He greeted Ben and they exchanged a few pleasantries. Kem caught him a bit off guard, he had totally expected to just watched and learn. After the initial 'whoa what who me?' freeze reaction he smiled widely. Excellent! He was going to get to play.

Taking the folder he very abruptly went quite serious, carefully reading everything. First a quick skim and then double checking one or two things that caught his eye.

"Well..."Â? He said slowly, "some of these seem to have more iron in the clay and one or two have less ash. So those were probably fired at a different time and the clay from the others came from a different place."Â?

For just a second he looked to Kem for approval and then went back to the results.

"The carbon dating says they are all from about the time period though."Â?
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Kem grinned at the prospect of more fun with Drew.

"Well, it's a good guess," he said. "Sight unseen though, I'm going to bet you're off the mark."

He tapped a finger on the two sheets that drew had indicated with ash on them.
"I'm willing to bet that these were ordinary in make and completely unglazed; furthermore, they're probably pretty coarse, and absolutely of no interest whatsoever regardless of their time period."

He indicated the remainder of the sheets. "These, however, bear looking into. The dye and the color suggests they might be a little more unique."

Kem looked at Ben expectantly. The collections manager wore an expression that mirrored Kem's. As he led them into the small room where the potsherds were, Kem explained.

"In Egypt, they rarely fired pottery," he said. "It was so hot and dry out, there was no need. Most of the time if you have ash in a sample, it's because whatever vessel it came from was used to cook with. It probably got left in a fire, or was discarded into a fire. That's where the ash came from."

He watched as Ben nodded his agreement of Kem's initial take and helped him open the heavy storage unit, pulling out one of the drawers and laying it carefully on the padded tabletop.
Drew 13 years ago
Damned. He knew better than to theorize without seeing the shards. Teach him to try and impress. While relieved that Kem seemed OK with it, he nodded. He was pretty sure Kem knew Egypt wasn't his area of expertise so maybe he didn't look too dumb, just young and eager to impress.

Following along he got his first look at the shards. It wasn't hard to guess which were the samples with the ash. And they did fit Kem's description. They were all course, undecorated and either covered in ash or you could easily see where they had been set on a fire or in an oven.

Letting Kem and Ben have the best positions he leaned over the case as best he could trying to pick out the one's Kem was most interested in. It was like that game as a kid 'One of these things is not like the other'. He didn't offer an opinion though, he didn't want to look stupid twice in the space of five minutes.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Kem moved to let Drew look closely at the bits of decorated clay in the drawer on the tabletop.

"Go on," he said, gesturing to Drew, who was now reluctant. "You're not going to learn if you don't jump right in."

He picked up the sample that he assumed was the one with the iron in it. Immediately his head spun as the little pottery bit took him on a world tour. This thing had been around. It was definitely Egyptian in origin. He handed it to Drew.

"Your iron. Tell me what was wrong about your guess. Not a bad guess, mind you, but you should be able to see why it was slightly off now."

The iron in question wasn't in the clay. It was in the stain that had created the worn red design on the small piece. Something Drew should be able to see clearly, unless he was completely unfamiliar with stains and dyes. Somehow, Kem had the feeling he'd be fine on this one. Some of the others posed bigger problems and questions.
Drew 13 years ago
Drew thought he noticed Kem get a little unfocused. But he almost immediately dismissed it as his imagination. He'd only really seen Kem in his peripheral vision and it had only been a second, maybe less. Besides, as Kem was now questioning him about his earlier guess it sure didn't seem like he was less than intent on the job.

Carefully taking the shard he turned it over, looking at it from all angles, he was very aware of details like size, shape and the texture and quality of the clay. It took a second but he did find his mistake fairly quickly.

"It is the stain isn't it?"Â?

He handed the shard back. It seemed to him to be an odd place to take a sample from if it was going to skew the results so bad. Well in all fairness the results hadn't been skewed, but he'd assumed they'd have taken the sample from the clay and not include the stain. Well live and learn.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Kem nodded to Drew. "A stain that leaked into the rest of the unfired product, yes." Any stain applied to a porous surface would leave residue, and in the amount the report suggested it was a small enough number to be accounted for by the red stripes.

He fished through a few more pieces, gritting his teeth as the world spun around again and again. Separating three or four he quickly picked out their data sheets and handed them to Drew. Addressing both Drew and Ben he said,
"These don't belong here."

Next, he sifted through the remainder of the potsherds, the ones Ben suspected were of significance based on the data sheets and reports. Three of these, he tapped with a gentle finger and said to Ben,
"These you want to keep. The rest are unremarkable."

He was being deliberately vague. This presented a way for him to keep an eye on Drew while exposing him to things he would find useful both in the archives and collections. After all, the data sheets they'd generated would be filed in the archives, copies to be kept with the artifacts themselves.

"You tell me why those four don't belong in this collection, and why these three should have the place of honor," he said to Drew. "A hint, though - the data sheets won't be much help with all of it. Some of the clues you'll just have to figure out with your eyes. And the resources in the archives."

It would take Drew several nights, he figured, a few hours each shift. Not a bad task. And by the end of it, he imagined Drew would have a fair idea how to navigate through the stacks.

He withdrew from the room with Ben to discuss what he'd discovered, leaving Drew within sight to ponder his first task.
Drew 13 years ago
Again, Drew thought that something was going on with Kem as he handled the shards. He was less convinced it was his imagination this time, but wasn't at all certain what it was. And then suddenly Kem decided a handful of them didn't belong. How had he done that so fast and how could he be so certain? Drew had seen the same reports and the same shards and he wasn't sure. Given maybe an hour he probably would reach the same conclusion but... that was fast.

Damned it, Kem beat him to the punch. It had been on the tip of his tongue to ask how he'd done that and why he'd divided them up like that but now he really couldn't ask that question. Deciding that there was no use getting worked up about it, he immediately looked on the bright side he was going to get to do what he'd trained for, play with old things and find out about them.

"I'll figure it out"Â?

He said with a confidant grin. He would too.

A little disappointed that Kem and Ben had gone off with out him Drew set to work. Even though Kem said the data sheets wouldn't help much he started to go over them in more detail making a few notes here and there. Then he started to analyze the shards them selves, paying careful attention to shape, the type of clay and any decoration or stain. He made even more notes here and decided he was going to have to do some more research on Egypt. Which meant going back in the stacks. Which meant either Kem's sense of humor was more warped than he thought, or vampires really were the sadistic bastards he'd learned about. Drew figured it was a little from column A and a little from column B, not that that was any comfort.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Kem let Drew pore over the fragmented potsherds for a little while, quietly informing Ben on what he was certain of. Several of the pottery bits belonged in the collection and several were worthless. A few ranked in between. Most of what he knew sprang from firsthand experience; some of it was psychometry. There were a few he didn't think Drew would work out, simply because they required expertise not found in books, but it wasn't rew's fault - Egypt had hardly been his area of study.

It would, however, keep Drew out of trouble and safely occupied. Just in case.

Eventually he figured Drew had had enough time. He went back into the room to collect him and let Ben know Drew would be returning soon. As they made their way back down toward the Archive, he turned to the younger man.

"So what did you think? Kind of short for your first trip to Collections, but there's plenty of time."
Drew 13 years ago
Letting himself be collected from collections, hahaha... that was almost funny... er, letting himself be collected Drew followed Kem back down to the Archives. He was determined to get a gold star on this assignment but didn't feel bad admitting he was temporarily stumped.

"I think I should have paid more attention in my Egyptology classes."Â?

Collections however... Drew thought he might be in love and wondered if Ben or some one else would mind showing him around a bit.

"I wouldn't mind getting lost up there though. Of course I'm guessing there are motion sensors and I'd wind up with armed guards and guns at my head if I got lost in the wrong spot."Â?

It might be worth the risk though.

He was encouraged that Kem had said 'first trip'. That indicated second and third trips. He could be a very happy boy if that was the case.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Kem gave a little snort at Drew's self-recrimination. "Who pays attention to a just-for-credit elective anyway?"

Many archaeology students took some sort of course on Egypt - it didn't make them experts. Drew was hardly the exception.

"You're welcome to try," he said, regarding getting lost. "You can't possibly access anything dangerous." He shrugged; it was the truth. MARI knew where every staff member at Meridian was and was not allowed to be. "Even down in the archives you shouldn't have cause to be lost. I've seen you interact with MARI."

Not often though, Kem mused. Whether it was a point of pride with Drew, or merely that he was unused to the AI even after his internship remained to be seen. Either way the young man didn't utilize her often. Maybe Kem should encourage him to.
Drew 13 years ago
"Those freaks who graduate Suma."Â?

Drew grinned. He'd graduated with honors, but there was way too much to manage Magna or Suma. OK so he could be distracted, but he'd still managed pretty well for a jock.

He was careful to keep his face neutral when Kem mentioned MARI. Truthfully, Drew didn't like the AI. It was probably his imagination but he always felt like it was watching him. Not only watching him but judging him. It wasn't normal. Laptop, good... freaky AI thing that could talk to him and knew -way- too much, not so good.

"Yeah I tend to forget about her."Â?

He tried to forget about her.

"I mean you don't run into something like that just any where."Â?
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Kem, slightly ahead of drew, was saved the worry of hiding his interested expression. He'd met people who were a little mistrustful of MARI before but they usually seemed to get over it pretty quickly. Apparently the length of Drew's internship hadn't been long enough for him to do so.

"You should get used to having her around," he said. "Besides, she might be able to help you with some of that."

He turned slightly to indicate the folder of data sheets Drew had now. Not that MARI could help Drew figure out what they were, but she would be able to point him in the direction of where to begin reading up about relevant topics. The directory in the Archives could, too, but it was only capable of so much.

He wasn't surprised though; MARI was not the only resource available at Meridian, and wasn't intended to function as an encyclopedia. But people preferred different methods.
Drew 13 years ago
Kem was right. Drew sulked for a second, but got over it. Well maybe he could learn something about MARI, hell maybe she knew about vampires. Who knew. Best not to ask that question right out though, she undoubtedly reported to someone and was probably linked to security. For all Drew knew she -was- security. But it might be good to be able to report something about this piece of technology.

"I might chat her up a bit then Boss."Â?

"...er... Kem"Â? he added to himself. Although he was proud he'd remembered not to say it aloud.

They'd made it back to the archives safe and sound, since Kem had led the way, and Drew really probably get back to his own work. But he couldn't quite, he was still waiting to find out something deep and dark about Kem.

"Did you need anything else?"Â?

He asked hopefully.
Kem`Raaisu 13 years ago
Kem wouldn't mind if Drew did just that; MARI would be a great way to track what he did. Innocent until proven guilty, he reminded himself. It wasn't right to make all kinds of possibly unfair assumptions about Drew before he had all the facts. he just had several highly coincidental and very likely facts, was all.

Kem let them back into the archives without losing Drew at all and shook his head at the new archivist's question. Technically he hadn't actually needed Drew at all... but it behooved him to keep the young man busy and interested.

"No, you're on your own now. Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions."

With that he smiled, gave Drew a wave, and headed into his office to finish up his work.

((ooc: Both out))