Thinking Outside the Boat

Kai sat beneath the shade of a blue and white striped umbrella on the patio of a restaurant that very nearly floated on the waters of the bay. On the table before her sat a tall skinny glass with a slushy peach concoction, a green straw and a blue umbrella. She ran her fingers through the growing pool of water around the drink, making small patterns on the frosted glass of the table.

This was her second slushy drink, she'd already determined she'd been "stood up," so now she was trying to decide if she should leave or order lunch. A pleasure yacht came out of one of the large storage garages across the bay and was moored to the attached dock. It was a lovely ship, and she watched as a skiff was lowered and a man clambered aboard. The little boat crossed the inlet and moored at the dock attached to the restaurant, and the man, tall, well dressed, dark hair going gray at the temples, a friendly smile, and eyes hidden behind large Ray-bans, climbed to the wooden planking.

"Kai?"

She looked at him from behind her own large sunglasses and realized this was the man she'd been talking with over the internet. He looked much different out in the sunshine and behind tinted lenses. She liked the look of him here much better. He seemed more comfortable and at ease with himself.

"Jaston?" He grinned, and she felt more at ease, she recognized that grin. He finished the walk from the boat to her table and Kai stood when he offered his hand.

"So sorry I'm late. I got hung up on a conference call, and by the time I was finished the boat was moving and I couldn't get off, and then it just seemed faster to bring the skiff instead of walk to my car and drive around."

Kai gentle regained her hand from his over enthusiastic shake and returned his smile. "It's alright. I was just contemplating ordering lunch. Are you hungry?"

"Famished."

They sat and the hovering waitress joined them. He ordered an iced tea, and the seared tuna salad. Kai chose the gazpacho and house salad. They didn't serve sushi at this particular venue, so she opted for the only other not cooked items. It was fine, she'd go out and find a nice juicy rabbit or maybe a small deer in the forests later, once she found them that is.

"How was your flight?"

She gave a good natured shrug. "It was a plane, and not a boat. Beyond that I can't say much about it, well besides the food being terrible."

He laughed at her cliche, before becoming more serious. "I have had some changes in plans since we last spoke and I would like make a proposition."

A soft sigh fluttered her chest, as she pushed hair from her face. In difference to this interview she'd left her hair down after her shower, and worn the only dress she owned, a pale pink sundress made of eyelet lace, over a white lining. Her feet here in a pair of white criss-crossing strap, roman inspired sandals that she'd been forced to buy last year when her other pair had broken.

"I am willing to listen, Jaston." She was willing, but not necessarily happy about the prospect of a change in job. But then again she was always happy to try something new, so perhaps it would be a more exciting position.

"I am in need of a marine biologist to take over the aquarium, as our current manager has ah...disappeared. And you Dr. Brown, fit the bill perfectly."

Oh, oh no. This was not what she wanted, not in the least, stuck inside a building surrounded by water, but never able to be in it. How horrifying.

"The look on your face tells me that is not as exciting to you as I would have hoped. Let me see if I can sweeten the deal." He leaned forward elbows on the table. "Do you see that boat over there?" He pointed to the yacht he'd come from and Kai nodded.

"That belongs to the aquarium, and is used as a research vessel, a specimen gathering vessel and for the lucky few a pleasure cruiser. You would be one of the lucky few."

That did change things a little, she'd never had access to a boat like that just for her own enjoyment. Hell, she'd never had access to a boat like that for any reason. "It has a crew of seven, and remains sea worthy year round, and was just remodeled with new equipment."

He moved and pointed to a glittering glass building not far from where the yacht was docked. "That building there is the aquarium, right on the water with a private dock and boat house equipped with scuba gear, jet skis and a small speed boat for recreational use of the staff. The aquarium provides it's management staff with custom gear that is stored in the boat house in personal lockers."

The waitress returned with their lunches, as Jaston leaned back into his chair. "I'll leave you to your thoughts as we enjoy our lunch."

Kai just looked at him for a moment. Enjoy her lunch? Not hardly, there was too much to think about and not an ounce of protein in sight. Oh, ick there was cheese on her salad. As the thoughts tumbled around in her head she painstakingly pushed the cheese off the salad and onto a napkin.

In silence they ate, the cold soup of cucumbers and tomatoes blended together, sliding untasted down her throat. This would be something she'd never done before and it would afford her the opportunity to explore the waters of the American ocean with out the pressures of research on her. She'd get to work with and care for sea life, and if she recalled correctly, she would be able to swim in the tanks with those animals. It was a good job he was offering her, but she would miss being on the water every day, she was sure of that. Of course if it didn't work out and she couldn't take the separation she could leave the position and find something else.

Besides it probably paid more and that was always a plus when you were a research scientist and subsisted on grants. But...
"What do you mean your current manager disappeared?"

He lost his good humor, and she saw the heavy stress of the situation weigh down his shoulders and cause a crease to form between his eyes. "That's under investigation at this time, but the gist is, she was hear Monday, and by Tuesday morning no one could find her. We think it is because of the emails we received Tuesday morning and the subsequent revelations of certain criminal activity on her part. We think she is currently in Mexico hiding."

"Huh." Kai had nothing else to say. Such things were beyond her and the deceit it would take for such a thing was abhorrence to her and would never occur to her to try.

"Alright Jaston, I will take the position. So tell me what it is you expect of me."

The face she knew returned and he began to outline the job description, including pay, (holy crow that was more money than she'd ever seen in her life), benefits, and all the other sundry things spoken of in a hiring interview. Then he pulled a thick packet of papers with a blue backing, and a pen from his pocket. He handed her the contract and Kai read it from start to finish, asked a few questions, and signed it. It was a fair contract and she had a small inkling she'd enjoy running an aquarium.

((Kai out ))