Where Do We Go From Here?

((Follows A Lesson in...Communication))

Dana slid bonelessly from the bike, using Amir's arm to steady herself. Taking several steps away she scrubbed at her face with both hands, removing whatever trace of tears the wind missed, before pulling the elastic from her hair.

Amir finished putting the bike away, and joined her as she was just finishing smoothing the windblown tangles from her pale red-gold locks. She offered him a wan smile as he took her hand and they entered the manor.

As they walked Dana, felt tired to her bones, weary and a little heart strung, and she wondered if perhaps going with Amir was not the best choice. Perhaps she should spend the day on her own. Spend time in her own head. Then again, inside her head was a big jumbled mess that she wasn't sure she could face quite yet. The untangling was going to take a very long time.

Amir must have sensed her reluctance, because he let go her hand and slithered his arm around her waist. Dana turned her upper body into him, sliding her own arms around his waist, causing his to go up around her shoulder. And so they walked with her head resting on his shoulder and her arms around his waist. It was only slightly awkward for Dana, but the comfort of it was profound. Enough so that she gently wished he would pick her up in his arms. It would not do to ask to be held like a child, but she could wish it and perhaps her would sense that as well.

Amir 13 years ago
Walking with Dana half-leaning against him was awkward at best, but Amir supported her until they reached the darker, less-populated upper halls that led to his rooms. Once there he simply picked her up without asking permission and cradled her in his arms for the rest of the trip. She was small enough to hold with just one arm, too, as he opened his door and entered the comfortable darkness that was his home.

The first thing that caught his eye was a blue glow from his almost-closed laptop over on the desk. He scowled at it for a moment and then turned away. Glancing at the shades over the balcony doors he could tell the sky was quickly growing light. No sense answering the message just yet.

He continued to hold Dana as he went down the hall to his bedroom, into the blackness lit by the corner star-globe. He closed the door behind him to complete the effect, stars springing up on that surface as well. It was like stepping into space, a feeling that always soothed him; perhaps it would do the same for Dana.

He lay her on the bed, pulling the covers back and sliding in next to her, covering them both and settling in next to her. Amir had no idea if she wanted to talk or just to rest. Either way he'd promised to help her and he didn't take his own promises lightly.

For the moment he just lay there with her, her head pillowed upon his arm, tucked under his chin.
Dana 13 years ago
Her heart leapt when he scooped her into his arms. Perhaps she was speaking to him on some subconscious level, and he understood her words. Though, it was more likely that he found the position she'd put them in uncomfortable and picked her up to solve the dilemma. She'd enjoy the romanticism of the other theory for a while longer yet, though.

She snuggled into him, helping to hold her weight when he opened his door. The quiet dark was soothing. She preferred the dark as the light often hurt her eyes, and she saw no sense in hurting herself with she could see just fine in the dark.

It was strange to lay fully clothed in his bed, but she was bothered by her shoes. With the majority of her body remaining pressed against his, she popped her feet from under the covers and pushed the boots to the floor. More comfortable, she tucked her leg over his and pulled her hips to lay along side his.

She fit here and loved it, cherished it for the gift it was. Still the silence could only last so long. She had need of working through all of this, this mess.

"What is it about Mara that would bring such an ugly thing roaring to life within me?" Her voice was quiet, as she spoke. This question was the one that ate at her the most. She did not know this girl from Adam and yet she must sense something that would cause such a violent reaction.

"Amir, I have never felt jealousy before. I had no need, and I do not think I have need now, but it is there. It is ugly and unbecoming, and I want nothing to do with it. But how does one divorce oneself from something so putrescently violent?"

Her fingers began to play with the faded design on his t-shirt, as she continued to speak. "I know she is your child, and your love, because you do love her, for her is that of a father. And yet...and yet, the great beast grabbed hold of my heart, and I was stunned by him, and acted like a spoiled child who'd been told she could not have dessert after dinner."

She moved her head a little and looked at him. "You must know I regret that behavior."

It was not a real apology, that would not help here. She knew and Amir did not like apologies, but it was enough that she had said so. Tucking her head back beneath his chin, she continued her random tracing.

"I can admit that my heart holds a special place for you Amir. How could it not with all that we have shared? But you are not mine to cling to and possess. I have no right to such feelings and behavior, none whatsoever. I know that in my head, but my heart...is a little confused."
Amir 13 years ago
The sun was rising and Amir enjoyed his sleep, but Dana's voice roused him from the muzzy haze he'd drifted into and he listened to her quietly, the only hint that he was paying attention the glitter of his dark eyes in the very dim light of the star globe.

It really was as if, for all her nine hundred years, Dana was just beginning her life. As exposure went, she was so new, so fresh to the world. It angered him, as much as he was capable of anger in his relaxed state, that she should have been so sheltered. Her creator had given her none of the emotional tools she would need to survive in this world.

He lay there for a few moments after Dana stopped talking, just absorbing her thoughts, trying to figure out how to respond. Finally he shook his head very slightly, and just said what came to mind.

"Jealously isn't a rational emotion. Any more than fear, or intense love, or hatred. It's something normal though, and if you want to survive in this world you need to accept that you may never be able to control all you feel."

He wrapped his arms around her tightly, resting his palm over her heart.
"This, too, feels what it will. Be it right, allowable, or forbidden, you can't stop it doing what it wants. You can only accept, and exist."

Amir wasn't sure to address the more tender subject of her feelings for him, though. It hadn't really ever happened. Every relationship he'd had had been within comfortable limitations, small amounts of emotion involved but mostly a sharing of mutual pleasure. He couldn't lie to Dana, but he didn't even know where he stood himself.

He tilted Dana's head back gently, looking at her troubled face.
"Yes. I love Mara," he agreed. "She is special to me. But I don't take Mara home to my room. I don't love her under the moonlight on the beach. I don't pick her up and carry her because I like the way she feels, nor do I tuck her into my bed and hold her as long as she wants to be held."

He let himself smile a little, re-settling Dana against him. "You're special too, nuuri. It's all right to feel jealousy. It's how you react to it that determines who you are."
Dana 13 years ago
A small smile curled her lips as he tucked her head under his chin once more. "I do not wish to be a spoiled child."

Dana chuckles softly, as her fingers worked their tracing patterns down onto his stomach. "You are so very right, Amir. I can't control what my heart does, but I can control the words that come out of my mouth and the language of my body. I do not like this ugliness, the last time such a thing marred my inner self I was still human, and it was circumstance beyond my control that brought it about."

She splayed her palm over the flat plane of his stomach and sighed. "Lady Erin showed me only the lovely things in life, even when the world around us was ugly with war we found the beautiful. Maybe that was wrong of her, but then I do not regret never having felt such things before.

What I do regret is the tenderness I've experienced. I think I would have like to have had that so much sooner in my life. I would have liked to have a man love me in the moonlight, and carry me because he likes the way I feel. But then, I am not easy to enjoy, I have such difficult issues to work around."

Restless, she pushed away from him a bit and turned onto her back. "It is so difficult to let anyone near, they might muss things, or touch something, or heaven help them move something."

Her fingers moved to play with one of the buttons on her shirt. "I've never met someone besides Lady Erin and Sebastian that is willing to over look or work around my issues before now."

Her words grew quiet and her fingers pushed the button through the hole. "Maybe it isn't as difficult as I seem to make it. Or perhaps I have not put myself with the kind of people that can see past the rigid control and look at me."

Another sigh moved her shoulders as she pushed the next button through its hole. "I think I would like to be done talking about it now. I am tired and just want to be held. But first, I wish to not sleep in my clothes."

Deft fingers pushed the rest of the buttons through their holes, before she rose from the bed at the waist and shrugged the soft cloth from her shoulders. The neat side of her cringed and nearly pulled her from the bed when she dropped it to the floor. She suppressed that side as she lay back and put fingers to the clasp of her pants.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir shook his head at Dana, listening to her speak, and disagreeing slightly. "Maybe you just need to see things a different way," he suggested. "What you feel isn't ugliness. Or if it is, then we're all equally ugly. Feelings are just feelings, for better or for worse. What you do with them is what creates beauty or misery."

He lifted his shoulder at her. "You have a choice in how to react, but no choice in whether or not to feel anything at all. That should say something."

Psychologist he was not; relationship expert he also was not. Amir could only draw on hundreds of years' experience to guide Dana's thoughts. Her self-consciousness, they had already touched on. She knew his feelings on the topic, but he repeated them anyway.

"We all have our little things," he said. "Sometimes they're big things."

As he spoke, he sat up and retrieved her shirt. She hadn't much choice but to drop it, unless she wanted to climb over him. But Amir was specific about things too, and he took the time to fold her shirt before placing it back down. Bending close, he helped Dana out of the remainder of her clothing, folding each item and putting them neatly into a pile. Stripping himself, he did the same with his discarded items and then wrapped himself around her comfortably.

Still sated from what had occurred barely over an hour ago, he was happy enough just to hold onto Dana as she wished.

"Just be who you are," he advised sleepily. "It is enough for the people who matter. And if it isn't, then maybe they shouldn't matter so much."

It didn't take long for them to fall asleep; or at least Amir slept. Dana must have fallen asleep at some point, for when he opened his eyes again she was clearly resting.

He looked at the simulated starry sky; it was mid-day. Amir enjoyed his sleep and wanted to finish it, but the blue glow of his laptop had him slightly edgy. The only one who emailed him regularly was Subira, and she must have left him a message while he was out.

He slipped carefully from the bed, trying not to disturb Dana, and padded out to the living room. Flipping the laptop open he found not one, but three emails. Scanning them quickly he picked up his phone from where it sat next to the laptop and pressed the button to call his creator.

The next few minutes were spent listening to the expected diatribe. Subira was not used to having to fish around for Amir. He winced and answered her only when he was expected to, restraining himself to simple "yes" and "no" answers. He had no excuse. he wasn't in Nachton to hang out with his girlfriend. He was supposed to be working.

"You want what?"

And he wasn't supposed to be daydreaming. He asked Subira to repeat herself, which in itself was unusual. She picked up on it; he heard it in her voice. She repeated the job and he nodded although she couldn't see the gesture.

"I can handle it."

Another silence as she questioned him. Amir felt the start of irritation within. had he ever failed his creator before?

"I said I can handle it. Tonight."

He didn't understand this new task. It didn't seem to fit in with anything else. But Amir was trained to comply, to obey, and, impulsive streak aside, that was normally what he did.

He ended the call when he was dismissed, and stared at the phone for a moment. Snapping it shut with a quiet click, he replaced it on the desk and closed his laptop.

Moving to the couch Amir sat for a moment, leaning on his knees, chin in his cupped hands. Subira's orders generally made more sense. Was he just that out of touch? Was Dana more of a distraction than she should be? He shook his head. Answers weren't forthcoming. Just do the job, he told himself, and see what happens.

He stood and made his way back down the darkened hall to his bedroom, intending to get a few more hours of sleep before it was time to go back to work.
Dana 13 years ago
Dana fell to sleep comforted and buoyed by his words. Her mind lost itself to dreams, and returned to her only when he removed himself from the bed.

It was only a light returning to consciousness, and she had not awareness of the passage of time. At some point though, she must have fully wakened, as she heard his slightly irritated voice tell some one he could handle something, with a repeating of this assurance. Then a quiet click, followed by his body lowering to the couch.

Slightly grumpy from waking much earlier than she wished, Dana drug herself from the bed and took the piece of clothing off the top of the pile. It happened to be Amir's shirt. Slipping it over her head, she made it to the door of his room.

All this activity seemed to use up all the energy she'd had upon opening her eyes. Sighing softly she leaned against the door way, resting her head on the wood there. Her arms wrapped around her belly, as her weight shifted to one leg, the other moving to wrap one ankle around the other. It was an odd position to stand in, but it seemed to be what her body needed to feel comfortable in her sleep deprived upright state.

She had just about gathered enough energy to push off from the door way, when Amir appeared in the dark hall before her, nothing more than a darkness with in the darkness.

"Is everything alright, a chroí?" Her voice was husky and quiet with sleep, as she stood there watching him, the lethargy returning now that she didn't need to go out to him.
Amir 13 years ago
Troubled by Subira's new request, Amir's smile was a little tight when he saw Dana framed in his doorway.

"It's all right. Just work stuff. Let's go back to bed," he suggested.

He wrapped his arm around Dana's waist to draw her back into the darkened interior.

"Shirt looks good on you," he added as an afterthought. It did. He didn't think he'd ever seen anyone in his clothing. On someone else he might have found it irritating but on Dana it was appealing.

Lying in bed again, he found he couldn't get back to sleep. he lay there quietly once more, Dana's head resting on his chest, feeling content and uneasy at the same time. If Subira knew... there was trouble in the making. She wouldn't take well to this particular distraction.

Amir and Dana were both adults, though, and capable of making decisions on their own. That said, Amir had no right to willfully involve Dana in something that could be harmful to her. Could Subira be harmful to her? He'd never considered that before.

The answer was to remove cause for complaint. Not to remove Dana, of course, but to make sure Subira had no reason to question him again. He should have had his phone with him earlier that evening. Leaving it here at Heolfor had been highly uncharacteristic of him. He wouldn't repeat the error.

Tonight, then, he had his work cut out for him. He'd meant to play with the wolves some more; possibly during a full moon. She wanted him to do it now. The night was right. It would have to be done.
Dana 13 years ago
Dana went willing with Amir, letting him draw her back into the bed. "Thanks, it feels good."

Snuggling into him, she lay quietly, listening to the slow rumble of his heart in his chest. His body did not relax into sleep patterns and she began to worry a bit. "Amir, I know that I should not pry, but are you sure all is well?"

It was not her place to question Amir and his work with the clan, but he seemed disturbed and so she could not help but ask. He could tell her it was nothing and she would not believe him, but would accept it. Conversely her could tell her what was really bothering him, and she would do her best to understand.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir opened his eyes to the starlit room, giving up on sleeping again for the moment. He stared at the pattern of tiny lights on the ceiling for a few moments, wondering just how much to tell Dana, if anything at all. Finally he decided that she was involved enough, far enough into it to at least have an idea. If the situation could potentially be dangerous, Dana needed that information to remain safe.

"Subira, my creator, has picked up on the fact that I have been distracted lately." He allowed his lips to quirk up a little bit. "I've missed a call or two, and that was poorly done on my part." The slight smile disappeared, replaced with a frown. "I hate to have her question me."

He shook his head again. "Either way, she has a job for me to do, and I need to do it tonight."

He paused for a moment more, and then said, "Dana. If Subira is ever here, at Heolfor, or even in Nachton, it would be best if we were very careful around her."

He didn't think Dana would like to hear that. He was bordering on protective, which he knew she didn't like, but Amir thought perhaps Dana would see his meaning. She knew he understood her in that regard, and hopefully she would recognize that if he felt strongly enough about it to caution her, then the situation was very dangerous indeed. Dana didn't know Subira.

"She is very dangerous. I don't think she would hurt you. You're a Clanmate. But she can be difficult."

He didn't want to say any more. It felt as if he were betraying her. And Subira was an ideal vampire, a teacher, a friend, but not by any means to be underestimated.

It was Amir's turn to be troubled, but he sank back into silence and didn't speak any more until Dana had time to react to his words. Instead he idly stroked her soft hair, enjoying the silkiness of it, Trying not to imagine the hundreds of possible things that could or would happen if he failed to please her tonight.
Dana 13 years ago
Old habits are difficult to break, but Dana managed to not react first and listen later as Amir cautioned her. He would not warn lightly, and he had not ever done so before, corrected, chastised, changed, helped, but never warned. This Subria, his creator, must be very dangerous indeed.

She was beginning to wonder if her life with her maker was atypical of vampire life. Was such danger from and fear of one's creator the more common reality? It was a saddening thought for her.

Dana replayed his words in her head, really listening to them hearing them for the truth they were. It bothered her that she was a distraction to him, that would not do, the Clan must come first regardless of their personal relationship. She would do better about helping him remember such small details. Little details were her forte.

"I will mind myself should I ever have occasion to be near your creator."

Perhaps she was projecting, but he seemed less than pleased by this turn of events. Did he not wish to do what was asked of him? Or was it more that he'd been question and was feeling a need to prove himself to someone he'd long ago proved himself to? And though she knew it was wrong, she could not leave it at that.

"But Amir, why are you so... bothered by this task she has set for you? I know I should not ask, but it seems this is more...more... disturbing for you than I've ever noticed. I have never seen you placed on edge by work before, and it worries me." She sighed, this was not coming out of her mouth in the way she wanted.

"Not for your safety, I know better than that, but for your peace of mind."
Amir 13 years ago
Amir was grateful Dana wasn't upset at his cautionary words; he'd hoped as much. he'd never have asked her if he hadn't thought it might one day be relevant. What was between them, though, was more than a casual affair. He couldn't deny that.

"Thank you," he said simply. Dana would do as she promised, if it ever came to that. He was sure of it.

Her next question made him frown all over again, though. He didn't really want her involved in anything having to do with Xephier and his Pack, or the weres at all. But he also didn't think their existence should be kept a secret. They were a very real threat and they were here, in Nachton. He would have to figure out how to explain that to Dana, but for now he kept it frank.

"Because she's never questioned my methods before," he said honestly. "We don't always work the same way but Subira has always trusted me to carry out any task, any mission, the way it works best. And she plans well. Usually I can see the reason for the moves she makes, but this one..."

Amir shook his head, brow furrowed. "I can't see it. I think she's testing me."

Subira did that on occasion. Every now and then she pushed her children to achieve new levels of skill, of trustworthiness. It had been centuries since Amir had undergone any such test, and at the realization his frustration fell away.

"That must be it." He nodded, as much to himself as to Dana.
"It's been a while. But I was overconfident a few months ago. I got lucky, and she wants to know if it was luck or skill." He allowed himself a feral grin. "For that matter, so do I."

It didn't matter if what she'd requested of him was foolhardy, almost suicidal. Now that he understood the motive at last, he was eager to prove himself.
Dana 13 years ago
Testing...honing one's skills Dana could understand, but she wasn't quite convinced, and she didn't understand why.

His admittance of foolhardiness, took her thoughts back to that night of her first martial arts lesson and the injuries on Amir's back. Was that what he was speaking of? Would he be putting himself in a situation where his injuries could be much more grave than those? That made Dana uncomfortable on several different levels, none of which she wanted to explain to Amir, and yet,

"Amir, this testing does not require you do something that could get you...killed, does it?"

She sighed again. "No, do not answer that, it was wrong of me to ask, but Amir, I do not understand what could be so dangerous that you must put yourself into such danger. There is nothing in Nachton but humans, the Clan, and some admittedly well organized, but lost vampires. Surely they do not pose such a threat."

Dana did not like that she was questioning Amir, but she could not seem to help herself. Not when he was so bothered and then so...determined. It was rather disturbing for her and she wished to understand it all.
Amir 13 years ago
Dana's questions were fairly pointed, and Amir couldn't really duck them all.. nor did he really want to. Ignorance was what led to pointless injury, or death, and once again Amir had to admit keeping Dana ignorant would be dangerous.

He answered her first question although she tried to take it back, his tone clipped but not rude.
"Yes. But that's my job. Clearly, I do all right at it." He was still here, after all.

Her lack of knowledge about anything else, though, was disturbing.
"It isn't true, Dana," he said, his face serious.

Amir rolled onto his side, propping himself up on one arm and looking down at Dana solemnly.
"There are many things in Nachton that are far more dangerous to us."

He paused, considering how best to tell her, but in the end he just shrugged. "Go to the library and look up werewolves. I don't mean the public library, but the one here at Heolfor. We have some very old books on the topic, that one would never think to research."

Amir continued. "A long time ago, we fought with them. We won, and we exiled them to the outer reaches of our world. We're natural enemies, you see. We need humans to live, to feed from. Weres don't; instead they subvert them, turn them into weres like themselves, and in doing so they render their blood unfit to consume."

He shook his head. "Several years ago the wolves decided they didn't have to abide by the ancient agreement, and they began to move closer and closer to our towns and cities."

Let her draw her conclusions from that. Dana was smart, intelligent. If she believed him, she would understand his role. He worked for Anantya, a warrior, protector, guardian. He had for thousands of years.

Amir watched her while she absorbed the information. he didn't feel bad about telling her; he thought, instead, if she believed him, she could be helpful to them.
Dana 13 years ago
She stared wide-eyed at him for a moment as she listened. What he said wasn't impossible, after all vampires exist and she'd met a witch once, so why wouldn't werewolves be real as well? Why would vampires be the only real thing that goes bump in the night? Surely though she would have known about them if they were such a problem. Did Lady Erin know of them and just never tell her? How decidedly annoying if so.

Soon though her wide eyes narrowed as she absorbed what Amir was telling her. If all this was true, and she had no reason to doubt Amir, he was perfectly sane, as far as ancient vampires go, and had never uttered falsehood to her before, then he must have been fighting them for a very long time.

"Alright, fine, I believe you, but that does not mean you should have to wage this war single-handedly Amir."

Her fingers reached up and brushed along his cheek, and into his hair. "I want to help, my work with Bao has become more streamlined and I have a great deal more time to myself now. Let me help."
Amir 13 years ago
This was what Amir had feared and what he'd hoped, that Dana wanted to help. Of course she would want to. It was the same with Mara. And Bao. And all of the other children he'd created over the course of his life. You brought them into this world, and they became loyal to you. Fought with you. Died while you kept going. That was life. And death. But he wasn't sure he wanted to visit that tragedy upon Dana, who just this evening had confessed to being overwhelmed by emotions she had never experienced.

Her hand upon his skin felt warm, and he smiled a ghostly smile down at her.
"I don't wage it alone," he said. "This is simply my job; crowd control. I have the tools and the experience to handle these particular wolves."

Could anyone else have done this job? Yes, certainly, but the vampires were few. Subira, of course, would have managed. And three or four others, but their numbers weren't as strong as they used to be.

Amir wasn't about to tell Dana she couldn't help. As far as he was concerned every vampire should be aware of this particular danger. But she was simply unprepared for what could happen, what would happen.

"I'd be happy for your help," he said slowly, "but you must believe me when I tell you that physically, you aren't prepared to handle them. Even so, while you train there are a number of other ways you could be useful."

He shook his head. "What I have to do tonight, you shouldn't be a part of. It's too dangerous."

Tackling any wolf during a full moon was a bad idea. To Amir, it was a challenge. They lost their heads easily, went crazy, lost their battle sense. Most of them. But a moon-mad werewolf was a dangerous werewolf; any notion of risk versus reward went down the tubes when they could see only blood. That Subira had demanded it of him, tonight, of all nights, was almost certainly a test of some sort.

"Can you stay out of it, Dana? Can you trust me? If you want to help, you may have to do things that you might find distasteful."

Would it come between them? It might. Amir was in charge, in Nachton, regardless of who his orders came from. Until Subira or someone higher up on the chain relieved him of this task, handling the wolves in this city was upon his shoulders. He gave orders, assigned his children and their helpers to their tasks, which thus far had been few, admittedly. If Dana wanted to be part of it, he couldn't give her the consideration of a lover. She would be another unit to be deployed, and he would prevent her from physical confrontation until she was prepared for it. Unlike Subira, Amir placed more value on his playing pieces than to sacrifice them needlessly.
Dana 13 years ago
She sighed softly pressing her hand to his heart. "I rather agree with you Amir. I could not yet hold my own in hand to hand combat. I'm not one to think more of my abilities than they are."

Her mind knew that each of his words were only truth, but they hurt her heart a bit. It would not be easy what he asked of her. "Yes, do not worry Amir, I may not agree, but I understand. You must do what is necessary, and I will do what I may to not think about it too overly much. Perhaps I can find something to occupy myself enough to last the whole time you are away."

She gave him a slightly crooked smile, and sighed again.
Amir 13 years ago
Amir had his doubts about whether this course of action was wise or not, but he kept his silence on the matter. Dana wasn't a warrior trained; she was unused to the circumstances they would find themselves in. Hopefully she would put duty over emotion when it became necessary. That was a reaction that oftentimes had to be learned; it wasn't usually instinctive.

However, tonight wasn't the night to preach to her about such things. She would learn, he had no doubt, and if she truly was committed to fighting for this cause they would know soon enough.

"I will gladly accept you as a recruit, in that case," he said, a smile flirting about his lips once more. "Your first job is to gather information."

He knew she would find it distasteful, but perhaps he could kill two birds with one stone. "I won't be here tonight; you know that. With luck I'll be home well before sunrise. Look in Heolfor's library like I suggested, but I also strongly advise you to seek out Mara. Information is a specialty of hers, and she has been at it for nearly as long as I have."

Tipping his head down, he brushed his lips gently over Dana's forehead. His very first request was one he knew she wouldn't like, yet he asked it of her anyway, not out of a need to test her or push her, but because Mara was truly the best source he could think of, even beyond Bao, if he himself could not advise.
Dana 13 years ago
She blew a breath through her lips, making them flutter. He would ask something so difficult of her. Though she did not think he was testing her resolve. He was not that sort of person, and she was fairly certain she had shown him resolve, even amidst conflict. Of course all of it was internal and had nothing to do with clan over personal relationship.

It was her fervent hope that she would not do something irrational out of fear for Amir, should things outside of these sacred moments become all too deadly.

"Ah, Amir." A soft chuckle drifted from her lips. "You do enjoy challenging me don't you?"

She slid her hand down his chest to the curve of his hip. "I will seek her out and talk with her after I have read all that I can."

Her fingers traced a pattern over his skin, as her mind wandered and began to conjure up that conversation. It would be a game of cat and mouse of that she was certain, but it would give her an opportunity to practice skills she'd not needed use of in some time.
Amir 13 years ago
"I don't enjoy asking you to do something I know you'd not otherwise do," Amir said. "It's the best way though."

And besides, he didn't want her worrying about him tonight. Amir didn't even know how tonight would go. It was going to be a challenge for him, too.

Dana's hands on his skin were soothing, rather than arousing as they might have otherwise been. He knew he shouldn't get so close. He hadn't intended that. But it was what it was... he would enjoy her company while they had each other.

He lowered his head once more to kiss her lips gently, the complete opposite of his aggression earlier that evening.
"Thank you for understanding. You might be surprised. Mara's not so bad."
Dana 13 years ago
She grinned at him. "Tell that to the large scaly dragon, the color of emeralds that has taken up residence just below my heart, hmm."

A gentle laugh escaped her and she pressed her lips to his, as she pulled him down to lay next to her. When he was flat on his back again, Dana curled her body around him, resting her head in the hollow of his shoulders.

"You woke me, made me grumpy, scared, reassure, and challenged. I'm tired and want to go back to sleep now."

Laughing softly she touched her lips to the skin of his chest, and snuggled her body close to his. " Good Morning, a chroí. And you had better say goodbye to me properly before you leave tonight."

More laughter bubbled from her as she closed her eyes and listened to the soft slow beat of his heart.