A Little Exploration Never Hurt Anyone...(Open, Attn: Amir)

Their shower had been long and incredibly satisfying, and made Dana very grateful for the never ceasing hot water of the Manor. By the time they had finished, the small room roiled with steam. She had sat quietly while Amir combed her hair free of tangles and pulled it into a pony's tail at the nape of her neck. She assumed this particular choice was so that it would be out of her way when riding the bike, but he could still run his fingers through it, should he so choose.

When he'd completed the small bit of pampering, he kissed the top of her head, pulled on his damp and wrinkled pants, and went to his room to dress. She did the same, choosing a pair of black linen pants, a soft green button down with three-quarter sleeves, and a pair of red strapy, roman inspired sandals.

With a diaphanous scarf, the leaves of the multi-hued flowers the same color as her shirt, and a small wrist-let type purse, she met Amir at the garage, just as he was bringing out his bike.

With out any firm plan in mind, they set off, with Dana's scarf tied firmly about her head, and her body snug against Amir's. She delighted in the wind against her face as they sped toward the bright lights of the city.

Amir 14 years ago
Amir took a much shorter time than Dana to ready himself for a few hours out. He carelessly ran his fingers through his short hair as he walked back to his suite, flicking away the remaining drops of moisture from their shower. After changing into nondescript trendy young-college-guy clothing consisting of jeans and a fashionably worn tee, he grabbed his keys and his well-broken-in leather jacket and headed for his bike.

Climbing on, he offered Dana his arm and steadied her while she gracefully swept her leg over the seat behind him. The support wasn't necessary; just enjoyable. Keeping the motor low out of respect for his Clanmates while they rolled down the long drive leading away from the Manor, Amir turned out toward Nachton proper and really let the bike have its way, taking a circuitous route in, enjoying the wind.

They soared into Nachton and its unending night life, threading their way around the moderate traffic that filled the roads even at this early hour. As he drove, Amir turned his head toward Dana and raised one eyebrow at her, silently asking her where she wanted to stop.
Dana 14 years ago
She would have been content to ride around on the back of his bike until the sun drove them indoors, but that was not what he'd had in mind when they set out, of that she was certain.

Finally, she spotted a slot available on the street and signaled him to it. the crowd here was lighter than the places they'd passed. She could hold her head high and not cower in a crowd now, but they still frightened her and she tried to avoid them when possible. She did not tell Amir this, as she did not wish him to think less of her again.

As the bike pulled into the slot, she sat up and pulled the scarf from her hair, laying flat any stray wisps that might have escaped. He held out his arm to help her down, she did not need it, but enjoyed the excuse for contact it gave her and the gesture of it warmed her courtier's heart. While he secured the bike, she slipped the scarf through the loops on her pants, turning it into a belt and freeing her hands of it.

A small joy leapt in her heart as he took her hand and pulled her onto the sidewalk. She like very much when he initiated touch between them, and never pulled away from it. They started down the walkway, still with no plan in mind, but with the anticipation of finding something interesting to do or see.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir didn't miss the fact that Dana had waited until they were in a reasonably clear section of the street to indicate that he should stop. It was as it was; he thought she was making great progress in the battle against her fears although it still irritated him that her creator had allowed her to live with them for so long. Nonetheless, whether an act or a real commitment, she seemed to come out of her shell when they were out together and he enjoyed that.

Threading his fingers through hers Amir led the way along the sidewalk, ignoring some of the tackier displays outside the nightclubs that were meant to draw in casual pleasure-seekers. Shops and such were open but he was not a shopper and Dana indicated no desire to browse.

They passed the corner that Xephier's clinic was on; Amir glanced at it and his lips tilted down in a faint frown. it passed though, and he soon heard the familiar soft jazz music of Shades' from around the corner.

"In the mood for some music?"

Dana, he gathered, was almost always in the mood for music. He wasn't sure if she would enjoy jazz, or if she'd been exposed to it yet, but he didn't mind it. His ear was so sketchy anyhow, the sometimes vague and atonal melodies of the jazz soloists didn't bother him the way he'd heard some say it did.
Dana 14 years ago
Dana didn't extend her attention to the street around her, instead focusing it on Amir. She enjoyed watching him and spent as much of her time with him engaged in the activity. It was because of this that she did not miss his faint frown. Her eyes followed his and she wondered why a veterinarian's clinic would cause him displeasure.

She filed the information into the back of her mind to inquire about later, if an opportunity presented itself. The soft strains of a muted trumpet met her ears and she smiled.

"Almost always, and Shades is a good place for it."

It had been long enough since running into Ambrose here and finding her meal, that she would not be accounted or recognized.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir wasn't really surprised that Dana had apparently already found Shades' place. It was, in his opinion, one of the classier venues in Nachton. It was an unpretentious sort of place, not over the top, not snobbish, just laid back and "cool," for lack of a better term.

As they entered they were both greeted by name by Shades himself, who never forgot a name or a face. Amir led Dana to a table at the side of the room, in the semi-darkness. The room was only dimly-lit as it was, but the center around the modest dance floor was much brighter in comparison.

The band playing was pretty classic, as far as Amir could tell. He recognized some of the pieces they played; old pieces that went back to another era. The bandmembers themselves looked as if they might have been in their prime when that era was in full swing too. Nonetheless they were playing an upbeat song that had many of the lounge's patrons on their feet dancing.

"I'm not great for music," Amir said, seating Dana before himself, "but I like it here."
Dana 14 years ago
She was only slightly taken aback by being greeted by name, not enough to show it outwardly, but enough to know that this was not a place she would use as a hunting grounds again.

Smiling she took the chair offered her.
"One does not have to create music to contribute to its greatness. Music is meant to be shared and enjoyed, you do much just by listening."

When the flow of words finished, Dana had to laugh. She sounded exactly like an instructor. "Please pardon my professorial moment there."

A waitress approached them, Dana declined anything, she did not have to pretend to indulge in human things when with Amir.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir noted Dana's response to Shades' greeting and chuckled softly as they passed. "Shades never forgets a name or a face," he explained. "Surprising when he remembers you, even after hundreds of years."

With that small bit of information he told Dana pretty much all of the important things to know right off the bat. It was good to know this place was run by one of their own kind. Shades' was particular though, about how things functioned here. Amir would explain later. It wasn't really necessary now.

He listened with an interested expression while Dana spoke - or lectured, whichever she was doing. When she asked his pardon he just shook his head and shrugged.

"Where there are artists, there must be critics," he said with an easy laugh. "I know my place."

He also shook his head as the waitress did a drive-by. He never drank if he could avoid it.

Instead he watched the musicians on stage as they set up for their next set.
"Do you play jazz at all, ever?" he asked Dana, by way of making conversation while they waited.
Dana 14 years ago
Ah, that was an explanation that served Dana well. Now it was firmly cemented in her mind that she would not hunt here again...ever.

She laughed again, patting Amir's hand.
"It is good to know you know your place, Amir."

Dana's eyes were drawn to the musicians as well, she wanted very much to eaves drop on their conversations, but kept her ears to herself. "Not yet, but I am going to be learning soon."

She returned her gaze to him with a small smile. "Do you know a clansman called Ambrose Townsend?"
Amir 14 years ago
Amir thought for a moment and then shook his head. "Name sounds familiar," he responded, "but he's not someone I've met in person. A fellow musician, I take it?"

He made the logical assumption, for Dana generally wasn't one to completely switch topics in the middle of a conversation. It was good for Dana to meet new people, and he was happy for her if she was doing that while expanding her musical knowledge. He returned her smile with one of his own but didn't add anything, having given her a lead-in to continue talking about learning jazz if that was where she was headed.
Dana 14 years ago
Grinning she glaced back at the band. "Yes, I ran into him here one evening. He was playing a set when I came in the place."

She felt like she needed to clarify a bit. "I'd met him previously on my first morning here in Nachton, he was with Lady Ysabel when she let me into the manor upon my arrival."

That wasn't that much more clear either. She didn't really care to explain that it had Ysabel that had greeted her and not one of the staff or that flighty young vampire, who's name she could never remember. She gave her head a small shake as the band stuck up it's opening notes.

"However during our conversation that evening he offered to teach me some jazz and I offered to teach him how to play some of my more ancient instruments."
Amir 14 years ago
Amir nodded as Dana explained her meeting with this Ambrose. He raised his eyebrows at the mention of Lady Ysabel. He knew her; not well, but her family was old blood. Aside from the lamentably deviant Dayle, the Yolgrave family was respectable, crafty, and resourceful.

It was curious that Ysabel had been the one to meet Dana when she'd arrived, but as far as he could recall, she was of the Order of the Rose so perhaps greetings and welcomings were her sort of thing. It certainly wasn't relevant to Dana's story, so Amir simply let his mental meanderings drift into a back corner of his mind.

"I'm glad," he said truthfully to Dana. "I certainly can't offer you any decent conversation in that area. And yet I know we have many Clan members who are commendable musicians. I believe Lady Ysabel is, herself."
Dana 14 years ago
She grinned at him, showing most of her teeth. "If we had the same tastes in all things I would find you very boring."

The band was playing something heavy on trumpet and she liked it, tapping her foot to the beat of it. "Yes, Lady Ysabel is a pianist and plays the lap harp if I recall correctly."

She let her shoulders sway a bit with the beat as well and flashed Amir a sweet innocent smile. "You may have to prove to me that you can dance, Amir."
Amir 14 years ago
Amir let his eyes narrow and crinkle a bit as he smiled at Dana. "I have never suffered under that label," he admitted. Boring, he was not.

He inclined his head at Dana's next suggestion... or challenge, whichever it was. He didn't mind dancing in this venue. This was far less emotional, far less romantic, he supposed, than dancing with Dana in her bedroom. If you were to go to a music bar, you'd expect to dance. But alone, to a love song? It would have been cruel to make her believe in things, or hope for things, that he didn't feel.

"I thought I had sufficiently proven it in the past," he pointed out, "but if you require more assurance I think I can manage to step up to the plate. I can promise you my education wasn't lacking in that particular area."

His smile didn't fade. Here, he wouldn't mind dancing with Dana. Not one bit, and certainly not when she'd couched her request in terms of a challenge.
Mara 14 years ago
Peering out from the shadows of the well-concealed hallway, Mara noted Amir's entrance. Along with her creator was a small, pretty woman whose closeness suggested intimacy. Amir nodded to Shades; he didn't see her. It would have been rude, though, to see him and not make herself known. Amir had taught her manners, and he must know that as always when in Nachton, she would split her time in her human form between this little establishment and the Manor.

She allowed for enough time to let Amir and his companion settle in before approaching on quiet feet. She was dressed appropriately for the venue, in a dress of a deep purple that caught the highlights of her dark hair. It was cut in a Grecian style, wrapped around her breasts and falling in soft folds to her ankles, with a modest neckline and fluttering loose sleeves that just touched her elbows. She always dressed well at Shades'; a gesture of respect to the proprietor. Mara's years had taught her how to dress well without drawing undue attention though. The dress was flowy and pretty without having an overt sexual allure to it. Petite little purple flats completed the picture, and the front of her hair was held back from her face with little black clips in an old-fashioned style that suited the jazzy mood of the club.

As she reached the table she noted that Amir's expression was genuine. She had seen many of his smiles, and rarely did they reach his eyes. Whoever this woman was, he liked her. That made her feel warm inside; she cared for Amir and was happy when he was.

Therefore, it was with a warm smile that she greeted his pretty companion, just catching the end of the conversation.
"It isn't often he finds himself compelled to prove his skills to someone," she said softly, mischief and curiosity evident in her tone. Her pale eyes switched themselves to Amir, fixing him with an unblinking stare. "I can't help but hope to see if he rises to the challenge."

She knew he would. Amir was a proud man. If his skills in any area had been questioned, he would take up that gauntlet in a heartbeat.

Mara shook her head though.
"Please excuse me for interrupting," she said, turning to the woman. "I've known Amir too long not to see him here and present my greetings. I'm Mara Mahin."

It was a bold greeting from Mara, who preferred to stay on the sidelines, but her draw toward her creator was strong, and her trust in him was absolute. Amir wouldn't bring someone to this sanctuary who didn't deserve to be here. Encouraged by that silent reminder, Mara held her hand out with a hesitation that belied her confident tone.
Dana 14 years ago
Dana was, in a word, annoyed, but the manners that were so much of her identity, forced a pleasant smile on to her face as the dark woman with startlingly light eyes spoke and then finally introduced herself.

Mara had offered a hand, and Dana, not completely above a bit of pettiness, simply tilted her head in a slight bow.
"A pleasure Mara, I'm Dana ó Ceallaigh" She thought better of her behavior and placed her hand in Mara's, with a mental sigh.

She did not like the little green monster that had taken up residence in the pit of her stomach when Mara had started speaking with them. The woman seemed friendly enough and was a friend of Amir's. And Dana? Well she had no real claim over the man that was lover, friend, and teacher. He had not declared himself to her, nor she to him. They were sharing company on this portion of their journey through immortality. She should not feel such protective hostility toward another woman, when she clearly had nothing by friendly affection for Amir. But all she could see were scenarios that involved pain for Mara and deep satisfaction for Dana.

The sensations bothered Dana, but only someone who knew her well, would note that the smile while lovely on her lips, did not fully reach her eyes, or that the first finger on her right hand tapped just a bit, belying her agitation. And she could only hope that Amir didn't notice and that she would not have to explain herself to him later.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir had expected Mara to be nearby; her presence the other night had been a welcome relief. A rescue, even. He was a little surprised that she announced herself with such unusual confidence but then, this particular child had always been more than a little attached. He stood, as was mannerly, and smiled back at her.

He raised an eyebrow with interest as Dana's oddly chilly greeting belied the pleasure her words spoke of. He made no move to get between either of them however, instead letting them introduce themselves. The expression on Mara's face, however, had him holding his arms out as she turned back to him with half a question in her eyes. He pressed his lips against her forehead and hugged her for a moment before pulling back and resuming his seat.

"I wouldn't have dreamed of turning her down," Amir said dryly, addressing the recent question of Dana's dance challenge. Pride goeth before the fall... but Amir knew he was proud, so perhaps he wouldn't fall so hard.

He held his hand out to Dana, ignoring her obvious irritation.
"Would my lady do me the honor? I'm sure Mara won't mind if I whisk you away for a moment. Will you?"

His dark eyes sparkled at Dana and he did his best to restore her to her good humor. While normally he wouldn't have bothered, the fact was he did care for Dana. He didn't want her to feel slighted by his quiet child. He would explain their relationship to her, and perhaps she would cease to feel threatened by Mara's presence.
Mara 14 years ago
Mara did not have the advantage, obviously, of knowing Dana. Having remarked upon Amir's smile to herself however, she couldn't help notice that Dana's smile seemed less genuine. Her keen senses noted the slightly tapping finger, and she realized her presence was not welcome here.

Not by Dana, at any rate. Amir's welcoming embrace settled her nerves somewhat and she closed her eyes briefly and rested her cheek on his shoulder for a moment before they separated. She hadn't seen him in some time now. Their last encounter didn't factor in, she decided. It hadn't been a proper meeting at all.

Keeping her eyes away from Dana, knowing there was a slightly flush of embarrassment upon her cheeks, Mara shook her head at Amir.
"I'll be happy to wait, if you like. I didn't mean to intrude."

Her pale eyes flickered once to Dana and then quickly back to Amir. She couldn't read Dana, not really. She just knew Amir and he didn't seem perturbed. He stood there, holding his hand out to Dana for he promised dance. Mara could feel no jealousy on her own part; she had danced with Amir before. She had, in fact, taught him for a change whenever she learned something new.
Dana 14 years ago
That little monster roared when Amir took the woman in his arms and comforted her, but the rational part of Dana knew what that hug was. It was the hug a father give a frightened or upset child. Dana felt decidedly like an ass just then. The monster couldn't care less about what her brain said, and she flatly hated the sensation of war in her own body.

Eyebrows that had knit together in bewilderment, smoothed as she smiled up at Amir and placed her hand in his. She mentally blew a breath through her lips as she stood. She would apologize to Mara in the form of some little gift and a note, and she would apologize to Amir in a much more personal way, later. She would not use the words, he seemed to find them a weakness and she refused to show him yet another chink in her armor.

The band had moved from it's lively trumpet song to something resembling the jitterbug, Dana enjoyed the rambunctious music of the 20's so was actually happy to be dancing such a complicated thing with Amir. Her challenge was proving to be quite fun.
Amir 14 years ago
Dana could hardly have taken back her offer without being uncharacteristically rude, so Amir didn't expect she would refuse. She did, however, accept with a smile and something more akin to her previous good humor. When the music changed as they approached the dance floor, Amir grinned his mischievous grin at Dana; if she expected him to be a slouch on the dance floor this was not the song for it. Of all the dances Mara had hauled him through over the centuries, this type he actually liked. The footwork required was good practice, akin to the many martial forms he'd studied, and the dance required quick, precise foot placement as well as an ability to hurl your dance partner rather carelessly around like a sack of meal. All those requirements, things Amir had studied in one form or another over the better part of two thousand years.

Shades' wasn't the place to find one or two elderly ballroom dance-class couples limping through a jitterbug, either. The people who came here were generally of certain types - either they really loved the music, really loved the dancing, or a combination of both. This was far different than the cheap little crush he'd first taken Dana to when she wanted to experience human life. This was a step back into a bygone era, and most of the people who came to Shades' expected to see dancing that fit the music. As a result, they were hardly the only couple on the floor.

Had the music been something slower, a waltz or a foxtrot or something equally irritating, Amir might not have put forth much effort. He was safe here though; at Shades' the music would almost always be something upbeat; the current jitterbug, a lindy hop, the charleston. Those were dances he could get into, so he resolved to win this very small battle as he and Dana joined the rest of the dancers.

The floor was full enough to feel uninhibited and unafraid of being laughed at, but empty enough yet that he wouldn't worry about clobbering someone with Dana's feet if he lifted her. Since the challenge was for him to prove to her that he could dance, he decided to try to surprise her by taking the lead. He wasn't a phenomenal dancer by any means, but he could hold his own in the faster jazz dances. Of course, if he screwed this one up Mara would needle him about it for years... so, he figured the challenge was doubled.
Dana 14 years ago
Dana was only a little surprised by Amir's twirling her into the follower of this dance. She preferred her partner to have the lead, it made it easier to eaves drop on the dance floor when you didn't have to think about where you were going. This however was an entirely different ball of wax.

He pushed her away, into the more complicated heel-toe foot twists, by turning her out and keeping only one of her hands. Dana was not hard pressed to keep up with him, as she'd enjoyed this form of dance immensely when it had made its way to the British Isles. Her good humor returned as he pulled her back to him and proceeded to pick her up at the waist, she obligingly kicked out her legs, then opened them as he brought her back down to rest on his hips, before swingin her down and around to the floor. She kept her body loose so that he could toss her about with out injuring either of them and so that she could feel his direction instead of try to anticipate it.

He stepped over her, pulled her through his legs and back up onto her feet. For several measures they did the basic steps of the dance, and she suspected he was giving her a moment to catch her breath, before he spun her out and back to go up over his shoulder. Her lips stayed in their easy smile as she kept up with him, but only just. There wasn't room for her to add much of her own flair, if she wanted to keep up.

After several more throws, a great deal of twirling, making Dana wish she'd worn a skirt, and very complicated foot work, the song ended. Laughing Dana hugged Amir, before stepping back to give him a small curtsy.
"Alright, so you can dance."