Can you smell spring? (open)

The wind swirled around her, making her hair dance in various directions as she sat on the edge of rock jutting out into the night sky. Her legs danged over the sides of the angled earth and swung carelessly back and forth. The moon was high and full,The kind you can see even in the daytime, and its light was throwing shadows almost as good as the sun did. To say that she preferred the moonlight to the yellow rays of the sun would be a lie, but tonight it sure felt good sitting in it's presence.

Releasing a rogue strand of hair that had stuck to the semi dried blood on her face, Diane peered down at the light below without alarm. She hadn't stayed furry as long as usual this evening, seeing as she had become to antsy in her fur, and decided to come back to her familiar form. This was something she had gotten much better with over time and with help from Bastian. It was pretty rare that she randomly dropped human anymore and she had even learned to hide clothing in the thick brush to lessen the chance of being stranded naked somewhere. Slowly she had come to embrace the moon and it's ultimate meaning for her. Who would have thought she'd be sitting out in the woods happily chomping on bunnies and deciding if there was enough left to make into good luck charms in this little of time?

It had been a little over 2 months since anything terrible had happened. Life was normal and great and carefree and...and what? Maybe that was what was causing her to be antsy. She had spent so much time planning and plotting and then revising that it had kept her mind busy. Nowadays she killed bunnies and deer. It was monotonous and slowly driving her mad.

Buttoning her long green flannel up to the top two buttons, Diane leaned forward and spit off the edge of the cliff. Total rebel style.

Ambrose 14 years ago
He'd worked with the waif and her mount for an hour or two after the sunset, up until Belle had declared it homework time. That had sounded like an exit queue to him. It wasn't that he was against book learning, he just didn't think that whatever language the two of them were working on now as quite up his alley.

Tossing a saddle over Midnight, he'd taken a turn or two around the ring was all it had taken to bore him. Without a second thought he and his horse had headed out and found themselves at nature preserve. The trails were good enough and the night bright, enough Ambrose wasn't worried. Besides, he had enough experience night riding to keep them both out of trouble.

He'd let Midnight have her head and galloped through the surf for a while before turning her up a hill into a more wooded area at a lazy jog trot. A bit of a breeze pulled her mane in a few odd directions and he absently lay it back in place patting her neck as he did so.

Catching a shape, a female shape, out alone he raised an eyebrow and slowed his mount to a walk. You didn't catch many women out alone in the nature preserve this time of night. Even less so since that couple had turned up dead. Admitting his curiosity he halted Midnight and found a friendly smile for the woman.

"You know that kind of move generally works better if you're in all black. A few chains doesn't hurt anything either."Â?
Diane 14 years ago
The sound of hooves approaching made her stop launching spit bombs off into the unknown and sit up straight. The heady smell of the animal was familiar of home and she smiled and conciously rubbed away the old rabbit blood from her face with her sleeve. No need to look sloppy regardless of how many times you wake up next to each other.

To her surprise as Diane looked over her shoulder the voice did not match who she had anticipated. Her eyebrows rose but her smile stayed. The moon was giving her more than enough light to see his face and his wasn't one she recognized from the Pack. Diane stood and dusted her black leggings off.

"I am wearing a flannel though, I'm just missing the Converse shoes to complete the grunge look." She pointed to her black suede pirate style boots.

Running her hand through her hair she pushed it out of her eyes to get a better look at the man who was out riding in the dark. An old part of her sparked with fear but she ignored it. She wasn't some weak human anymore who needed to shriek and hide whenever she ran into a man in the dark. Hadn't she just been complaining that life was getting dull? Maybe he was a serial killer or some kind of menace to society. Giving him a once over she decided that if either of those were the case, he was the cowboy version of them. The man looked a little more like the unsung hero than the bad guy.

"Out for a late ride tonight are we? It's a little dark out for that isn't it?"
Ambrose 14 years ago
"I'd have gone with Doc Martins over Converse, but they didn't ask me about fashion trends."Â?

He'd done a -very- brief stint in Seattle at the height of the grunge thing, disliked it and gotten himself shipped back to LA pretty damned quick. The sound was OK but he hadn't wanted to stick around. Too much good music to be had elsewhere.

Quickly sizing up the girl in front of him Ambrose noted she was a bit on the small side, although he wouldn't say delicate. That made it even stranger that she'd be out alone in the dark. Another Vamp? Maybe.

He grinned his best 'awww shucks' grin and leaned forward to pet Midnight's neck.

"Yeah it is late, but I can't not get her some kind of work out just because my schedule is a mess. And most of the trails around her are pretty well marked, besides its good and bright tonight."Â?
Diane 14 years ago
"Ahh, more of an ass kicking type shoe than a pair of old high top sneaker wearer then huh?"

In all actuality she preferred low tops because there was less shoe to lace and easier to jam onto her feet in a bind, but that was neither here nor there.

"Well its a good thing your horse has a good owner then who doesn't mind staying up late to help her out. They get just as bored as we do. What's her name if you don't mind me asking."

Shifting on her feet Diane checked out the horse with her eyes out of habit and was pleased that the horse was visually well kept.

"You couldn't picked a better night to be out either with the moon as bright as it is in all, but that just means bigger shadows to be tricked by. Hopefully she doesn't spook easy."

She didn't imagine alot of Pack out hunting large prey off pack lands but you never knew. A horse wasn't on her top end of things to chase down but there were those who liked the thrill of outsmarting a animal with high brain functions. It wasnt how she felt but thats where she differed from others.
Ambrose 14 years ago
"I've done a bit of ass kicking in my time."Â?

He didn't smile, he didn't smirk, it was just the way things were and Ambrose didn't brag about that. He didn't hide it either though. He might go into sweet and innocent mode later if he was hungry, but he didn't much like the idea of feeding with Midnight about. The smell of blood might bother her.

It didn't even strike Ambrose as strange that he was concerned about the horse's reaction and not at all interested in how the human might feel about it.

"Nothing worse than trying to break a vice."Â?

He nodded in agreement. The fact that she asked after his mount made Ambrose smile. He was proud of the Appy mare and inclined to approve of any one who asked after her.

"Midnight. She's very balanced, not much inclined to jump at shadows or anything else. Do you ride ma'am?"Â?

She sounded like she had an eye for horses, or some experience with them.
Diane 14 years ago
Diane didn't doubt that the man had been apart of a few ass kickings in his days. Hell he certainly looked the part but she wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad one.

When he smiled he looked every bit rugged and handsome. She wondered where his companion was if he was out this late and if he often went out on evening rides. Maybe there were more people out here with him circling through the trees further down hill. Bodies had been found not that far away recently and if he was apart of a human hunting troup things could get sticky.

Taking a deep breath she didn't smell anything out of the ordinary, no fear, no lust, but she took a few steps to the side giving enough girth to stay out of snatching range, just incase.

"I can ride, but I only know just the basics. Enough to get by at least, we work with a lot of horses at the clinic and have a few ourselves, but I'm better at cleaning up after them."

Bastian had been trying to teach her how to ride but she found herself being more disorientated than not when on the large animals back. He promised that would go away the more she practiced, but she wasn't taking the bait.

Speaking of Bastian, he'd be super pissed if he knew she was hanging out in the reserve where two people had been killed, without a care. The fact that she was more than human giving her a little edge above the rest was of little comfort. His voice in the back of her head reminded her that she wasn't immortal.

"Do you use her for hunting?" Diane questioned.

It was her sly way of asking if he was out looking to run some unsuspecting woman into the ground and use her skin as some crazy sick trophy. Lord she watched too many movies, but still if someone could think it up for the big screen then someone could think it up for real.

"I'm being super rude aren't I? Asking you all these questions when I haven't even asked your name. Sorry about that, my name's Diane."

Serial killers hated names, it made them connect. Why in the hell had she suddenly started putting this man under the serial killer catergory? He hadn't made any crazyman kind of moves and had been nice to her so far. Plus who was she to judge that it was weird for him to be out and alone in the dark when she was guilty of the same crime?
Ambrose 14 years ago
"So you work for a vet? Couldn't say I'd mind having that kind of connection, not that I'm at all happy with our guy."Â?

The vet Belle had found was pretty good, handled horses well and obviously knew his business. Ambrose had no complaints.

"I might be biased but you might want to give it some more practice. Nothing in the world to beat it."Â?

Having four good legs under him was something he loved. While he was riding, Ambrose didn't feel less than whole.

The hunting question was odd, it took a second but he thought he understood what she was fishing for. It was about time she started being nervous, he would have thought she was less than stable if she hadn't started wondering if he was a mad killer.

"No, can't say I've even thought about it. Not much for going out into the woods for days at a time and shooting things."Â?

He half laughed as she introduced herself. Deciding he could use the rock she'd been sitting on as a mounting block, Ambrose threw his good leg over Midnight's back and dismounted. The mare was exceptionally well trained to let him mount and dismount from the wrong side. Ordinarily Ambrose wouldn't have dismounted at all, but for some reason he wanted to impress upon Diane he was harmless.

Once on the ground, reins in one hand he offered the other.

"Ambrose. Nice to meet you. Can't say I excepted to meet any one out here alone this time of night, especially these days."Â?

It had been say that or be totally presumptuous about what was a little thing like her doing out near a recent murder scene all alone.
Diane 14 years ago
Diane grimaced slightly at his suggestion to give horseback riding some practice. She could almost feel the ground go woozy at the thought of being up so high ontop of another moving animal. There were worse things she could do with her time she supossed and horses did make good get aways if she couldn't shift but, it wasn't likely she'd bump that to the top of her list of to do's.

"I think the connection brings me more injured homeless animals that I fall in love with and refuse to let go, specially if said animal is a cat." She grinned.

He dismounted his horse and even though he admitted to not being a hunter she was still cautious as she took his hand in her for a shake.

"Nice to meet you as well, Ambrose." She had totally pegged him as a Hank or Bill.

"I guess I could say the same about being out here this late. I kinda figured if I were to kill people and dump bodies I prolly wouldn't keep going to the same area right? So in theory the woods has become the safest place."

That was a crap idea because the nature reserve was large enough to house bodies anywhere and one would think no one would be out here because they were afraid of being the next victims. Which led once again to Ambrose.

"Besides with the moon this bright, even the blindest of people can see for miles. I was tired of being in the house and felt the call of the wild."

That was putting it mildly. Once again she thanked her good sense to have previously stashed clothing before her run.
Ambrose 14 years ago
Ambrose shook his head and half snorted at the assumption that this was no a safe place. To his mind, if the guy had gotten away with dumping here once he was likely to try it again.

"I wouldn't go that far. I mean why mess with a good thing?"Â?

He adjusted his grip on Midnight's reigns so she could take a step or two away and put her head down if she wanted. He felt her to make sure she wasn't too hot or wet, if she hadn't been stopping wouldn't be good for her.

He gave Diane a half grin.

"You keep getting me to talk like this and you'll have me cast as a mad killer and the cops at my door in no time."Â?

Looking at the moon Ambrose knew it was a double-edged sword. Sure, you could see what you were hunting better but they could see you better too. But in an effort not to sound like a mad killer, he didn't say anything about that.

"That's a little impulsive don't you think?"Â?
Diane 14 years ago
"Maybe if you wanted to get caught I supose you'd keep returning to the same place. Or maybe the thrill of the possibility of getting caught would bring a person back."

Diane couldn't help but laugh. Were they really discussing semantics of body dumping? It was a bit ridiculous.

"Your right, this is crazy talk. But on the plus side should you ever be up for charges on a mass killing spree and the bodies have no drop pattern I will stand up on your behalf and tell them it's not your style."

It hadn't been the first time she had been deemed impulsive and probably not the last. She couldn't help that she was controlled by emotions more than logic. Wise choices weren't her strong point, the last three years have proved that with one exception.

"Yeeaah," She stretched out the word.

"I have been called that before. Normally I realize that I've acted without really thinking about a minute or two before I find myself in some awesome kind of trouble."

Like last time she had been out in the woods alone and stumbled upon a guy. That one HAD happened to be a killer.
Ambrose 14 years ago
"Or maybe I just found a really good place."Â?

Ambrose grinned wickedly. He was sure there was a body or two from back in his hay day that still hadn't been found. Hell, he wasn't sure he could find them any more.

Laughing he let Midnight walk them a few steps forward, apparently she had saw a spot she wanted to graze. Even in those few steps his gate was a bit stiff and a touch unsure, due to the uneven terrain. But, it could easily be passed off as having been in the saddle for a long while and getting his land legs back.

"But if they find a big stash of bodies some where you might tell them you think it was me. Either way I'm not sure this is a safe topic any longer."Â?

His horse seemed satisfied with where they were and helped herself to some of the first bits of grass that the approaching spring brought.

"Well I'll say I've learned the hard way that planning pays. Not that I'm above or even against living in the moment. As long as I don't whine about the consequences it is all good."Â?
Diane 14 years ago
"Hey, it's only unsafe if your a murderer, or if people happen upon us and over hear what were talking about. So on second thought, how about the weather lately?" She wrinkled her nose at him.

Watching him walk his horse towards the little patch of grass that had survived the cold winter she wondered how long he had been out riding. He seemed stiff and that was of benefit to her should she need to sprint on out of there. Should he be a fast human, he'd be hindered by the muscles that were used to sitting. Less and less she was thinking of Ambrose as trouble and the warning voice in her head was calming down. It wasn't because she was over estimating herself and her abilities to bring him down, it was because he seemed to be out for reasons not so unlike her own.

Resting her hands on her hips she turned back to the scenery that stretched below the little ledge.

"I can be a pretty good planner when I'm driven. Or for trips and big events, but I've found when I plan to much, I snap and get all crazy and do things a little too extreme." There was a faint smile on her face as she recognized her faults.

"It's better if you can laugh at the consequences after the shit has hit the fan right?"
Ambrose 14 years ago
Ambrose half laughed half snorted as she jokingly implied he might be a killer. Poor thing had no idea how close to the truth she was. Even these days he wasn't what you might call safe, he might fool you for a while but old habits died hard and all those clichés.

"Lord remind me to stay away from you when you get like that. There is organized and then there is -organized-."Â?

He -hated- over planning. Besides, Belle was so much better at it than he was. Hell there were days he didn't realized he'd been organized, it had just some how happened.

"I've got a feeling your other half probably has similar feelings."Â?

OK so he was fishing a bit, just a bit. Wanting to know if any one would miss her if he should do something... ... entertaining. There was no ring that he'd seen but that didn't mean anything; he might have missed it, she might have taken it off, he might look again. Let her think he was interested. In a sense he was.

"Laughing is one option. I much prefer to just bully my way through things until they come out the way I'd wanted in the first place."Â?
Diane 14 years ago
"Aw come on, being meticulous can be down right fun. Nothing says awesome like a fully detailed well thought out plan!"

Diane really wasn't all that bad, it was only on rare occasions that she really needed to plan things out that thoroughly. Like when she discovering the many uses of tracking devices. That wasn't something you could just do off the hip, it took careful planning to not get caught.

His next statement got an amused eyebrow raise out of her. Sneaky men always on the look out for fresh meat. She hadn't been wearing any jewelry this evening as she usually kept them safe at home every month around this lunar time. Even if she had been, she found that men weren't exactly detered by the ring she sometimes wore on her left hand. Between work and shifting between wolf and human, Diane had learned to mostly keep items of importance at home. This was after three rings had been destroyed.

"You probably couldn't be more right about that. He doesn't mind some careful planning, but I think he likes the impulsiveness even less. In fact, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be too happy to know I was running out here alone."

Diane couldn't picture Ambrose as a guy who bullied others into getting his way but she could hardly say knew the guy. She also couldn't imagine it went well when he acted that way.

"And how does that work out for you? To think you'd run from my overplanning." She mocked irritation.

"I guess that's one way of doing things that I haven't yet tried."
Ambrose 14 years ago
Ambrose chuffed and Midnight shook her head while grazing, seemingly agreeing with him. He half smiled at that but opted for the better part of valor and didn't say another word about planning. Some times planning could be... scary.

Well that complicated a thing or two, some one would be looking for her if she disappeared. Of course, for the most part Ambrose didn't abuse his playthings to the point they needed to disappear.

"Then I promise not to tell him."Â?

He happened to agree with this guy, who ever he was, letting your girl run around unescorted in the middle of the night and near a recent murder scene was not high on Ambrose's list of things to let Belle do either.

Now that was interesting, she said she was out for a run, but Diane sure wasn't appareled like most joggers. He just shrugged it off, one man's work out clothes was another man's high fashion.

He let his ass kicking grin slide over his face.

"Depends on who I'm bullying."Â?

Sizing up Diane again, Ambrose decided there was no way she was ever going to bully any one successfully. Oh she might have a heck of a temper or have other tactics for getting her way but, in his opinion, she wasn't going to be getting too many people to do just whatever she wanted.

"It takes practice though, it isn't an in born skill. Like horse back riding."Â?
Diane 14 years ago
Of course the nice horse loving cowboy wouldn't tell Bastian. Oh how very nice of him. Diane thought sarcastically to herself.

This was beyond the fact that the chances of them ever running into each other were slim to none.

His smile was charming but she wasn't buying it just yet. If he was bullying people, it was bound to be people smaller than him. He was about average build if not a tad bit taller and that left lots of room for short guys and women. Now that she thought about it, it was an incriminating release.

"Depends on who you bully? Women and small children would be easy targets I suposse." Diane taunted.

She noted the once over he did on her and nearly whined in anticipation. She'd crush his damn hands in a heartbeat followed by his valuables, should he try any bullying with her. From serial killer to decent guy to potential dirt bag, Ambrose's status was influx.

"Maybe somethings are just inherent and unlearnable. I'm sure it takes more than physical strength to bully precisely."
Ambrose 14 years ago
His face clouded at that idea. Women and small children? Never his style, well unless the woman was able to defend herself. Hell he'd always encouraged Belle to stand up to him and tell him off from time to time and lord knows he'd been working on building up the waif's self confidence.

Ambrose's first reaction was to snap at this woman and tell her off. He didn't like her presuming his character. He mentally counted to three and managed to restrain himself. Instead he just snorted and let it slid off his back.

"Yeah, they would if I were some kind of low life scum bag."Â?

OK so he wasn't a saint or anything but, he wasn't anything like she was implying. If the wench wanted to play this game though, they could.

"It isn't about the physical strength, it is about the mental attitude and the willingness to pick a fight even when you're out gunned. In addition, to go into that fight -knowing- you're going to win. As well as being able to read your opponent."Â?

That said Ambrose settled into a very calm unreadable facial expression and body language, seemingly paying more attention to his horse than to Diane. If she was trying to bully him, trying to read him, he wasn't going to give her the opportunity or anything worth finding out.

Midnight lifted her head and shoved her nose into his chest. Ambrose absently rubbed the velvety nose.
Diane 14 years ago
She had hit a sore spot with her comment judging by his response but what did she really expect him to say? 'Heck yes, kids are my favorite for bullying'.

"Well it's good to have bully standards."

Taking a moment to step back from everything and be the fly on the wall, Diane caught herself and tired to remember again that being alone in the woods did not make you a creep. Just because there was one incident of running into a killer in the woods didn't mean every guy in the dark was a bloodsucker. What were the chances of that anyways?

Easing down a few notches in tone she decidely calmed down.

"Interesting, I think your way would work pretty fast. I stick with the old fiegned down and out trick. Takes longer but it contains lots of goodies like patience and calculated timing. Which I guess draws a circle back to my whole planning tendancy."

She watched as he tended to his horse and wondered if he was ex military of some sorts. Their conversations had been closely tied with simular topics.

"It seems we have a tendancy to talk about tactics of sorts."
Ambrose 14 years ago
Ambrose only raised an eyebrow at her. He was starting to think that Diane had had a bad run in with some one. Maybe an abusive relationship, could be a rough childhood, this wasn't just being nervous about meeting a random guy in the woods, this was first hand experience. And given the way she was pushing at him he suspected it was a recent situation. It would be interesting to see how she'd take some of her own medicine. But for now he just tucked the information way, it was interesting, very interesting. Of course, she was out here by herself, which made him think she'd come out of the situation on top. Also interesting. There was more here than met the eye.

Was she out here by herself? Maybe this was an ambush. He tuned into his senses and perception. There didn't seem to be any one out here going to make his live difficult. And see seemed to have backed off a bit.

"Nothing wrong with a cat and mouse game now and again. Some times, it's called for. Either way a body shouldn't ever rely on just one method to get their way."Â?

It was too damned predictable and wound up being a liability.

He grinned t her obsession with planning. Some things you just couldn't shake apparently.

"And you were worried I was a mad killer. Maybe I should be worried you're trying to take me out."Â?

She was welcome to try, a good solid fight might be fun.
Diane 14 years ago
Diane turned on the innocent charm and turned her palms up and outward.

"Who me? I'm naught but a wee little thing unable to care for myself. How could I ever hurt another soul?"

She wasn't really trying to fool Ambrose and wasn't drawing on her ability to do so. She was only being silly but then again it couldn't hurt to push a little of her appeared harmlessness onto him. The last thing she needed was for him to think she was dangerous and seek to pacify her.

Most of Diane's abilities were for defending and while she had a few at her disposal she wasn't anywhere near one of the strongest in her pack. In fact she couldn't do much other than scare tactics but typically they were enough to get by on.

Dropping her arms to her sides she was glad for her small unassuming build. It was hurt turn to question his status.

"Does your family not mind you staying out all hours of the night like this?"