A Man's Gotta Eat (Open)

Shades was a great hang out, especially if you were into the blues or jazz, there was simply no getting around that. No matter the occasion Ambrose enjoyed it here. There was always good music, the bar was well tended with an inordinate amount of care and a certain amount of flourish. The club was a decent size, not small but not huge, it was often a bit on the smoky side but he enjoyed that, it added to the intimacy and the atmosphere.

It was the music that had brought him here tonight. Shades almost always has live music rather than a second rate jukebox. While Ambrose wasn't famous or even particularly well known outside of very specific circles he was talented and had landed a rather 'at will' kind of gig here. If he gave a few days notice he could play a set or two without question. Granted the fee was nominal, more of a gesture than anything but he did these gigs just because he wanted to. Ornery, stubborn and taciturn he maybe, prickly Belle called it, but he did love music and playing here let him play for the love of the music.

He'd played two sets tonight. Both had been a bit of an odd mix of things some B B King covers a spin on one or two Billie Holiday tunes, he'd experimented with some newer stuff in terms of Kenny Wayne Sheppard and of course he'd played his own stuff two. Ambrose had written a couple of songs that had been recorded by The Moochers, one of which had been a minor hit. He'd worked those into his set as well as trying out two that he'd been working on. One had fallen completely flat, much to his annoyance, but the other had been moderately well received. He'd need to tweak it more, but performing it in front of an audience had given him some direction.

Done playing for the night he'd found a place to sit, a bit off to the side, out of the way and towards the back but where he could see the stage and keep half an eye on the evenings closing act. He'd signaled a server and been brought a whisky and a beer, the bartender did know he's preferences. For now Ambrose was content. One or two people came up to say something about his performance, but not many and he was fine with that. He was half heartedly hunting and didn't much want the distraction. Granted he'd never even consider grabbing a bite while -in- Shades, but maybe following them to the parking lot and talking them into a cup of coffee. Yeah, that he could do.

Dana 14 years ago
Dana was hungry, bored and in a bit of a bad mood. A rare combination for her and it made her twitchy and fairly violent. She'd worked off a bit of the energy in the dojo going through the forms Amir and Bao had taught her, but her hip still hurt as she had not heeded Bao's advice to eat that same night.

Sighing she pulled the little black car, borrowed from Rupert, into an available space in one of many downtown parking lots. She left the car, bumping the door shut with her hip as she smoothed hair and jacket. She would need to purchase a vehicle of her own soon, but the prospect of shopping for it did not appeal to her.

Annoyed with herself and not understanding the foul mood hanging about her, she started from the lot, the black strappy heels clipping smartly on the asphalt as she went. She needed to find food, and frankly her taste for the night clubs had waned and she had no desire to stalk prey in the Gardens. So she marched her way up the sidewalk hoping something would catch her eye.

As she passed a busy tavern, the music inside stopped her feet. It was a rendition of a BB King song she was familiar with and had enjoyed playing. Curiosity outweighed her annoyance and hunger as she ducked inside to see the player of the music.

Surprise did not begin to cover her feelings as she discovered Mr. Townsend, Lady Isabelle's friend, whom she met her first day in Nachton. What a small world. Smiling she took a stool at the bar, ordering a water with lime, as she listened to the vampire play.

When he completed his set, she clapped with everyone else and watched him as he moved to a small table, and gave him time to settle before she approached him.

"Mr. Townsend?"
Ambrose 14 years ago
Comfortably sprawled out over two chairs and absently people watching Ambrose was just as glad that only one or two people stopped to say anything. The days when you couldn’t get rid of somebody set his teeth on edge. If it wasn’t that Shades had a very well known directive that you didn’t bite while in the joint Ambrose would have taken out some of the more annoying folks. But, tonight was quiet he liked that.

Watching the crowd ebb and flow he growled to himself, not any one worth exerting himself for. Maybe he was getting soft, spending so much time with Belle and the waif. He usually wasn’t this picky. Nah. He wasn’t getting soft he just wasn’t hungry. That made more sense.

The unaccustomed introspection meant he didn’t see a small figure approach him. At the sound of his name, Ambrose snapped out of his reverie and glanced sharply at the source of the voice. Old habits died hard and the look he turned on her was hard and assessing, clearly trying to decide if she was a threat or looking to call him out. Funny, he was a hundred years past that phase of his life and he still hadn’t broken the habit. It took a second for him to place her but when he did, he relaxed, grabbed his cane and pulled himself, rather stiffly, to his feet.

“Just Ambrose ma’am. Most of the folks around here know me as Isaac.”

It was a loose secret that Isaac Ray was a stage name. Some people knew better, some didn’t. He wasn’t terribly worried about it one way or another.

Belle’s subtle but persistent efforts to keep him moderately well mannered kicked in and he nodded to a chair.

“Care to join me? I’ll buy you a drink.”
Dana 14 years ago
Dana bowed her head in acknowledgment, she would have curtsied, but did not think Mr...Ambrose would like that overly much.

"Alright...Isaac."

Smiling she took the proffered chair, settling the filmy skirt of her dress over her knees. "Thank you, but no. Water is fine for me."

She glanced about the tavern they were in, and smiled, she'd be able to find a meal here. "Lady Isabelle said you played, but I was unaware just how talented you are. I'd like very much to learn that last song you played."

It didn't take long for her eyes to find a likely bit of prey and in a while she would lure him out into the adjacent alley, but for now, she would enjoy a conversation with a clanmate about her favorite subject.
Ambrose 14 years ago
Once Dana was settled Ambrose settled back down. Arranging his leg in a comfortable position and setting his cane back down he nodded at her.

“Let me know if you change your mind.”

He sipped a t his own drink.

The compliment brought a bit of a wry smile to his lips. Ambrose was as susceptible to flattery as the next person and the last one…. Well that had been his own composition.

“Belle is probably a little more generous with her praise than she should be.” At least when it came to him, Ambrose thought. “But, I’m glad you liked that one. Its one of mine, I’d be happy to teach it to you though.”

He shoved the now empty whiskey glass to the side of the table but shook his head indicating he didn’t want another.

Ambrose seemed to remember Dana having a guitar case with her when they first met.

“How long have you been playing and what do you favor?”

The how long was a rather strange question for their kind. But everyone picked up new hobbies as they went.
Dana 14 years ago
She was a bit annoyed by his nickname for Isabelle, perhaps it had been her upbringing, but she found the use of them...irritating. If a mother had wanted her child to be called something she would have named the child that.

She did not wish to offend Ambrose, she she kept the thought to herself, especially as he offered to teach her new music, and his own at that.

"It is a lovely song you've created and I thank you for trusting me with it."

She smiled at his question, taking a moment to decide how to phrase her answer with out sounding pompous about it.

"The guitar has only been in my hands since a month before coming to Nachton, though it is not the first stringed instrument I have played."

That wasn't boastful, but let him know she was no novice of music.

"I have thus far explored only American genres, country and western, bluegrass, a bit of jazz and even less of rockabilly."

The waitress brought her another water, assuming she wanted one, as she'd left her first at the bar. She thanked the girl and set the glass with its little green wedge to the side of the table. It had been only for show while at the bar and she had no intention of ingesting any more than was strictly necessary.

"What of you? How long have you played?"
Ambrose 14 years ago
He found he liked her way of phrasing things, trusting her with the song. OK he could see that. It wasn’t something Ambrose had quite considered, after all the song was published and on a CD somewhere. He owned the rights to it, but others could cover it. Still, his lips twisted into some semblance of a smile when she said it.

“No thanks needed. We’ll have to set up a time for us to get together then.”

So far, he liked Dana, and as such, he wouldn’t just hand her sheet music and hope she’d go away. Rather he’d find time for her.

About then, he decided she had been part of the same era as Belle. Apparently, folks with money thought their daughters should all be musically inclined. He softened his opinion slightly when he considered that even in his day you had to entertain yourself.

“Fair enough. I keep thinking I need to pick up another instrument, I just haven’t worked out what yet.”

With out thinking about it he frowned at the very idea of country music. Ambrose just didn’t like it. He was finding more and more songs that were less country and more a country and something fusion. And of those hybrid songs, he had found several he liked. But it was still a song by song venture for him.

“Bluegrass is a strange thing. It’s funny how much of the Celtic influence you can hear in it. You ought to look into zydeco a bit. You might like it.”

Or it would stand her hair on end. It was hard to say which.

“Honestly with the guitar and the harmonica I don’t remember not playing. I didn’t get terribly serious about the guitar until after I met my maker though.”

One could not run from the law with a guitar. The harmonica, however, was much more portable. But once turned he’d had a less transient life and the opportunity to actually learn and practice.
Dana 14 years ago
Dana so far enjoyed Ambrose' company, and was glad that fate had brought her down this particular avenue tonight.

"I look forward to it. Let me give you my card."

She opened the small purse that hung from a long delicate strap to her hip, and pulled a sleek gold case from within. She handed a card to Ambrose and returned the case to her purse.

"If you have a notion, you are welcome to fiddle with the various ones I have in my rooms. They're all stringed instruments from various countries and eras, along with classical orchestra pieces. I'd be happy to show you the ropes of any one of them."

It was good to be able to offer a service in return, she did not enjoy being indebted to anyone, even if the debt was a song.

She did not miss is frown at her mention of country music. It was not an unusual occurrence, but one that puzzled her. She so far enjoyed the music she'd played, though she had wandered into more modern styles and did not enjoy them so much. So she spent her time playing the early women of the genre. She, however, would not begrudge Ambrose his opinion.

"I think that is why I am so drawn to Bluegrass, it reminds me of home."

She laughed softly, and crossed her legs. "I've not heard of Zydeco, though I am always open to new music."

Nodding, she understood about not being serious about anything until meeting one's maker. She had not been serious about anything but survival until Lady Erin had found her.
Ambrose 14 years ago
Ambrose nodded and neatly tucked her card in his well-worn wallet. He’d have to check and see if he had a session coming up but other than that he’d nail down a time pretty quick. He hated having things like that floating about.

The sound he made was half bark half laugh. The offer was generous though.

“I might take you up on that. So long as none of them actually are antiques, I’d be afraid of breaking them.”

That didn’t mean he wasn’t curious. Hell if REM could work a mandolin into a hit Ambrose didn’t see why other lesser-known instruments shouldn’t be incorporated into a modern sound.

He smiled at her observation, but hid it by taking a long swallow from his beer. He was pretty certain that’s why Damaris liked Bluegrass as well.

“I think that may be true of any one from the Isles.”

Not that there was anything wrong with that, it was just interesting.

“Well it can be a bit hard to take and it is defiantly hard to describe. It’s Cajun in origin and about the only time I can tolerate an accordion.”

He grinned at that last idea. Actually, he didn’t have any grudges against the occasional squeeze box.
Dana 14 years ago
Dana grinned at his self admonition. "I doubt you could harm any of them. While some are almost as old as I am, they are in good condition, and still play incredibly. Though I'm not sure the lap harp or mandolin will be up your alley, at least not ones with out modern action."

She was not insulting Ambrose, it was that his style simply didn't fit with the way the old instruments played. She had modern versions of the same instruments that he would most likely be more comfortable with anyway.

She smiled at his observation of people from her homeland and found he was probably correct.

The accordion, however, put a strain on her smile. She had never been in accordance with the sounds the instrument made. They tended to cause the inner workings of her ear to try and crawl from their place into the outer workings of her ear.

"I'm not certain I'd be amenable to that, Isaac. The accordion and i do not really get along."

((Ambrose' skills and style are completely conjecture on my part ))
Ambrose 14 years ago
The way she said it Ambrose pretty quickly concluded he’d been right. She was at least as old as Belle, possibly older. Not that it mattered. He knew he was relatively young by their standards, so what. It didn’t make him less capable. Still he filled the fact away, just in case.

“Well I might manage a mandolin, but you’ll forgive me but the idea of the words lap and harp rather scare me off just out of principle. I’ve got an image to maintain.”

While he was quite serious about that, it was said with a touch of humor. He’d actually had his hands on a mandolin once or twice. It hadn’t exactly flowed. Of course, he hadn’t really practiced either. It might deserve a second shot.

“But I’ll bow to your experience. What would you suggest?”

Her reaction to the accordion, well he couldn’t help it, it made Ambrose laugh. He couldn’t blame Dana though the instrument could very easily go wrong.

“Give it a shot. Most of the time, Zydeco actually knows what to do with the sound. It has yet to make my ears bleed.”
Dana 14 years ago
Dana chuckled, a soft low sound, she rather agreed with him, it wasn't a man's instrument but she's seen a few play it in her time. She thought a moment about the instruments in her room.

"I think you might enjoy the lute or perhaps the gittern. Though the balalaika might prove a challenge to you and I think would suit your style."

His description of Zydeco made her laugh, though didn't exactly convince her to want to listen to the music.

"For you I'll give it a whirl."

((ooc sorry it took so long, this week has been h-e-double hockey sticks
Red is Russian))

Ambrose 14 years ago
While he had evolved well beyond his uneducated cowboy days, Ambrose still was more than a little rough around the edges and more than slightly uncultured. He had thought, however, he had a pretty good grasp on the music scene and most of the instruments in it. So, Dana’s suggestion caused him to do a bit of a double take.

“A who’da what’a?”

He asked genuinely puzzled. He didn’t –like- admitting ignorance but there was no way in hell he was going to try and fake his way though this.

“I think, other than the lute, you might have gone a bit beyond me ma’am.”

((OOC... don't stress it! I know the feeling and I tend to be about ))
Dana 14 years ago
Dana couldn't help herself, Ambrose made her laugh and she indulged in the amusement. She could play a great number of instruments and knew this was not a normality even among her own kind, so she was not surprised he did not know of the Russian guitar-like instrument.

"Well a gittern is the predecessor to the modern guitar, and a cousin to the lute." Her hands made small gestures as she spoke, denoting her enthusiasm for the subject, and her comfort level with her clanmate.

"While the balalaika is a three stringed Russian guitar of sorts. It has a triangular body, an elongated neck with the tuning keys on one side." Her bottom lip was pulled between her teeth as she thought for a moment.

"If you've ever seen a traditional Russian folk band play, then you have seen one."
Ambrose 14 years ago
He answered her laugh with a good natured and self-deprecating grin. No point in being embarrassed about what you didn’t know. The only truly embarrassing thing would have been to not keep learning. And who would have thought that musical instruments evolved. Well he had a bit of an idea, after all he’d seen the development of the electric guitar. He just hadn’t really thought about it.

She was obviously warming to the subject and he appreciated that. Ambrose couldn’t help but think that Belle would enjoy the conversation as well if she were here.

Frowning in concentration for a second Ambrose slowly nodded.

“Ok yeah I’ve seen those a couple of times. Not too often though I’ve not played with too many traditional Russian groups.”

Thank good for all the time he’d spent in San Francisco and LA. Even if he didn’t know the proper names for the instruments he’d heard and seen quite a few.

“I think I could deal with either of those two. I don’t suppose you’d want to learn the harmonica in exchange?”

Some how he didn’t think a lady of her apparent breeding would be interested in such a humble toy.
Dana 14 years ago
His response delighted her and she could hardly wait to put the Balalaika in his hands and show him how to play the quirky instrument.

"Good, I look forward to sharing them with you. The gittern is one of my favorites."

Dana took the time to consider his offer. It was not done in jest she was sure, and while it was generous of him, not something she would care to do.

"Thank you, no." She smiled to soften the rejection a bit. "I find I do not enjoy wind instruments, so well as stringed. One cannot sing when one is blowing into a pipe with holes."

Her face crinkled up into a grin. "You have already offered to teach me your song, that is sufficient exchange, don't you think?"
Ambrose 14 years ago
She had a ‘cat that ate the canary’ look on her face. Ambrose had a feeling he was going to regret this. Or she was. He half laughed and shook his head.

“You may wish you hadn’t said that after I get through with them.”

He hadn’t expected really expected her to take up on the harmonica offer so he only shrugged.

“Now I hadn’t thought of it quite that way before.”

Ambrose had only recently started singing. And when he’d picked up the harmonica, it was mostly to keep himself company, something to listen to besides silence when he was on the run. And despite romantic images to the contrary, he’d never enjoyed singing to a bunch of tumble weeds.

“Who am I to argue if you think it is a fair trade?”

He asked with a grin.
Dana 14 years ago
She gave him a slightly narrow-eyed considering look, pursing her lips and tilting her head to one side.

"Well if you prove to be a difficult student, I shall have to come up with more suitable recompense."

Laughter bubbles up from her belly as she tried desperately to remain stern but was wholly unable. It was nice to have found enjoyment in this evening, as it had begun with her in a bad temper. Dana was quite glad to have stumbled into the company of Ambrose.

Just then the target of her earlier survey of the room, stood and paid his bill, he'd had only the one drink as she'd chatted with Ambrose and so was still steady on his feet. He waved and smiled at the bar tender's good bye and Dana was torn. She could excuse herself and take care of the matter of eating, and then return, but manners dictated she stay where she was and find a different meal later. Her eyes followed his progress as he wound his way toward the door, and she sighs very softly.
Ambrose 14 years ago
“Don’t turn horse trader on me. You made the deal now you have to stick to it.”

He smiled wryly challenging her just a bit.

Dana seemed to be slightly distracted. He casually followed her gaze and had a good idea what was going on. She hadn’t run to meet or make contact with this guy so she was probably hungry. He wasn’t about to deny a lady a meal. Taking a long drink of his beer, he softly and discreetly said,

“If you hurry you can catch him.”

Those few words would be enough he was sure.
Dana 14 years ago
She laughed again. He had that effect on her it seemed. "Don't worry, I will stick to my end of the bargain, but I may negotiate a larger settlement, should you prove difficult."

Her eyes darted back Ambrose and she awarded him a bright smile complete with delicate fangs. It was nice to be with a member of her clan, especially one tied to another, and would not feel slighted because of her wandering attention.

"Thank you, I will return." She pulled her purse into her lap and scrounged through it, palming the tiny wallet inside. In a louder voice she spoke to Ambrose. "Oh, I seem to have left my wallet in my car. I won't be a moment."

She pushed back from the table, and made her way through the crowd. Dana made it out onto the sidewalk in a short time to find her quarry turning the corner. The heels of her strappy sandals made a tiny clacking noise as she hurried to catch up with him. He heard her coming and glanced behind him. After a quick double take he stopped and turned fully to face her.

"Eh, You alright?"

She gave him a sweet smile. "Yeah, I just thought I knew you when I saw you before and was working up the courage to come talk to you, and you left."

He furrowed his brow at her. "Oh, um...do I know you?"

"No, and now I'm sorry I bothered you." She gave him another smile. "But um since I'm out here, would you give me a ride home? It's kind of cold and I hate walking in the dark alone."

He finally returned her smile and nodded. "Sure."

She walked with him to his car, and settled into the passenger seat as he held open the door. As soon as his door was shut, she pounced on him. His startled exclamation was loud in the car as her fangs sank into the jumping pulse in his neck. Several mouthfuls of the sweet nectar of life and he was half dazed and slumped in the seat. She gave the tiny wounds caused by tiny fangs a gentle lick, cleaning up her mess, and exited the car.

she could care what he would remember or think, but she doubted he would go to the authorities, and so did not bother to cover her tracks. Instead she let the cool night air uncloud her mind as she returned to the bar. As she entered she smiled across the room at Ambrose and waggled the little black wallet at him.

Her purposeful steps carried her back to her seat and she was unable to not grin at the man before her.

"Thank you, I am greatly appreciate your understanding."
Ambrose 14 years ago
A man, or woman in this case, had to eat after all. Ambrose didn't begrudge her a short side trip and occupied himself with letting a rather well stacked burnet flirt with him from the bar. She was apparently too shy to make a move and he didn't feel like chasing her down. Maybe if she hung around once he got ready to leave...

Finishing off his beer, he grinned as Dana reappeared looking rather well fed.

"What is there to understand? You see an opportunity and you take it."Â?

Another beer arrived at the table, one he didn't order, arrived at the table. He looked at it curiously slowly realized it came from the burnet and raised it to her in thanks.

He absently wondered if she was a seductress, an opportunist or an actress. Hell there were as many ways to feed as there were vampires. Given the age bracket he was putting her in Ambrose decided she was a combination and it probably depended on both her mood and the situation how Dana would handle a meal.

"Although, I'll admit it is a hell of a lot easier to explain these little side jaunts to family."Â?