Security Deposit? (private)

Tai groaned as he woke up (again) and flailed his arm around insensibly, not completely sure what he was looking for. Something broke with a clatter of glass. Maybe it was already broken. He wasn't sure. he sat up, pounding his head on the bed frame above him, forgetting he was on the floor. Beside him his groping hand found something - the inside of Val's very shapely ankle, from the feel of it.

Tai reached up and shoved the bed a few feet over, getting it out of the way. The room at the Piazza was dark, of course, for they'd made sure they shut the curtains tightly. He didn't need natural light to know they'd made a pretty good wreck of the place. Val was every bit as rowdy and enthusiastic in bed (and out of it) as she'd promised to be.

He sat up very carefully, remembering when they'd abandoned the bed in the very early hours of the morning. All the sheets were on the floor by then anyhow, so it only made sense that they went along with them. The couch cushions, too, were in complete disarray.

It had been a really, really fun night. And it appeared they had plenty of time for repeats - or whatever, as it appeared to be the middle of the day judging by the light behind the curtains. Tai looked down at Val's slender form, which was tangled up in a sheet or two, one of her hands thrown across his lap.

Definitely a fun night.

Valentine 14 years ago
Why hadn’t she taken another vampire to bed since Giovanni? Honestly, Val couldn’t remember but she had decided it had been a mistake. She suspected, however, that Tai’s enthusiasm wasn’t a result of his turning though. Still she’d decided some time during the night that it was a good thing they were both dead or some of that shit would have been a touch on the reckless side. Not that she cared at this point. The night had very much hit the spot, so to speak.

She half opened her eyes and noted the hint of daylight around the window. Looked like they were stuck here until dark, not that she minded. Having gone from bed to sofa to bathroom back to the bed to the floor had left Val a bit disoriented. Possibly, it had the same affect on Tai as she could hear him breaking things and shoving furniture around.

A soft throaty laugh was her only answer to the sounds as she stretched lazily and ran her hand up what turned out to be Tai’s thigh.

“You’re awake then lover?”
Ichiro Taiji 14 years ago
Damn, but Val had a sexy laugh. In response Tai just mumbled something unintelligible. He wasn't usually chatty by any means, but he did like Val. Which was a good thing, given the fact that they'd just about trashed a pretty swanky Piazza room in a reckless orgy.

"I don't know if 'awake' is the proper term, but I would say I'm alive."

He rested his head back against the bed frame and regarded Val with an expression that was about as pleasant as he got in the mornings nowadays. "Hungry?"

Tai accompanied the simple question with an eloquently arched brow that implied there could be a multitude of answers to that loaded question, and indeed there could. He assumed Val would hit on most of them, even if not out loud.
Valentine 14 years ago
Not every one was a morning person, she wasn’t particularly. So, she didn’t push for conversation. Tai seemed to find some semblance of consciousness though. The idea of him being alive still brought another lazy laugh. If he was still alive, she hadn’t tried hard enough and that was saying something. Hell, she was impressed she’d lived though the night, some of the furniture hadn’t.

Stretching languorously, not to worried about how the sheets shifted about, modesty wasn’t her strong suit, Val shifted about so she could get a better look at Tai. She wasn’t exactly clingy and while she didn’t shy away from him, she didn’t feel a need to cuddle up in each other’s arms either. The raised eyebrow earned him a very wicked grin. There were a number of ways to answer that question, so she opted not to.

“Did you plan on calling room service? I’m sure they’d love us…”

They might be delicious too, but it could be a trick or two ambushing them and getting them out none the wiser. Besides, she didn’t really –need- to eat and she'd much rather go for a repeat but even vampires needed a break between goes.

That and letting people in on what a mess they’d made of the place any earlier than absolutely necessary was not high on Val’s ‘To Do’ list.
"I'm sure we'd love them more," Tai said as he untwisted himself from the tangle of bedsheets. "I'm fine if you are, though."

Eating could wait until the sun went down again, or maybe longer. Tai knew that as he aged he'd be able to go longer without, but for now he generally tended to feed himself every other day, maybe every three on occasion. He had naturally assumed Val was older than he; he was still so young as vampires went, that really only the newly-turned were his juniors. He briefly wondered if Val would mind that fact, but she didn't really seem the type.

Regaining his feet he stood and haphazardly spread the sheets on the bed, followed by the comforter. When the bed was reasonably put together again he climbed onto it and settled in, enjoying the softness of it after having spent several hours on the floor.

He peered over the edge of the bed at Val's prone, yet tempting, form and gave her a smile that rivaled hers in wickedness.

"Maybe we should just call housekeeping."
Valentine 14 years ago
“Oh I’m fine. Besides I’m watching my girlish figure.”

She wondered if he did need a bit of a nibble though. With that thought, Val wondered how old Tai was. Hell, she wondered what his last name was. Neither particularly mattered. If he wound up ravenous, though he could snack on her. She wouldn’t offer unless he seemed to really need a pick me up but if he asked she wouldn’t say no either.

From her spot on the floor, Val watched with some amusement as he straightened up. Did this domestic streak come naturally or did he simply dislike sleeping on the floor?

“It is a good bed. Remind me again why we wound up on the floor.”

It was a delicious smile and she took it as an invitation and quite happily made herself at home on the bed.

“I feel like being a picky eater today though. Do you think they’d send up résumés and pictures before they sent us a maid or two? Or did you really intend for them to clean up?”
"I'm watching it too," Tai said appreciatively as he gave Val his best leer.

As she came up onto the bed beside him he thought for a moment.
"We ended up on the floor because the sheets on the bed were slippery. And because there just wasn't enough room on the bed."

He lay back, making room for Val, crossing his arms behind his head. "I hadn't really thought about what to do with them, although 'both' did occur to me."

Another thought was occurring to him, and that was the fact that he didn'th ave any conflicting feelings about Val. Yuu and Ellis came with a laundry list of complications which had little or no resolution for Tai. Val was different though. In spite of the night they'd just shared Tai didn't get the impression she was looking for emotional attachment.

It was a unique situation for Tai, being with someone who he wasn't hiding secrets from. Previously he'd hidden his affiliation with the Yakuza. More recently he'd been hiding his identity as a vampire, and toward some of his business contacts his identity as Ellis' helper-monkey. It was slightly uncomfortable, after a life of hiding things, to not be doing so with Val. As a matter of fact she hadn't once asked about his tattoos either, something uncommon. It gave him an insight to her past, he supposed, for she must be aware of their significance to not have batted an eyelash. Val didn't strike him as the ignorant type.

But, don't ask don't tell, was Tai's policy. If they didn't bother Val he wasn't going to complain. It was nice to screw around, literally and figuratively, with someone who wasn't expecting him to be more than (or less than) what he was.

With that observation out of the way his mind filtered back to the most recent topic - the housekeeping staff.

"Do you think they taste like cleaning supplies? I don't think I want the power of pine sol for dinner."
Valentine 14 years ago
The fact that he gave such a literal answer to her question made her laugh. He was right, but she hadn’t expected an answer so it was funny.

“That sounds right. We sure has hell had fun getting to the floor though.”

Settled in next to him Val idly tried to interpret his tattoos. She couldn’t, she’d never been able to read them but she knew enough about them to know what he was, or had been, and not to ask further. They didn’t bother her at all. They’d been a bit of a surprise but she wasn’t about to worry or pry. She wondered if he was still tight with his connections, hell she still had some ins with various families after almost a hundred years.

His quip caused her to make a face, wrinkling her nose.

“You spend enough time around that stuff and it soaks in through your skin. No thank you, room service it is.”

Stretching hugely, finger tips to toes arching her body against his she sighed quite content.

“I’m not keeping you from anything am I?”

The way Val asked the question there was no whining, no insecurity, no pressure it was just a question. And while she was a bit curious about him, Val deliberately asked the question in a way he could answer with as little or as much detail as he wanted. She liked having no complications, no strings relationships and suspected he did too.
Tai nodded his agreement. His mind was still working but he was doing his best to shut it off. Was this really the time and place to be his normal, mercenary self? Well... it was always time to figure how he could get ahead but at the moment he didn't have any ulterior motives or a particular aim. That was also new to him; generally he made contacts with the intention of getting some use out of the person. He didn't know very much about Val except for what she did for a living.

At Val's question he turned to her with his eyebrows raised. Glancing at the window he answered,
"No, I don't exactly keep daytime hours. Why, are you missing a tanning appointment?"

His lips twisted up as he snarked at her; not cruelly, just humorously.

"To be honest I've been suffering from a pretty open-ended schedule lately. It's annoying."

The idea of calling in on Ellis crossed his mind but Tai's every atom rejected that notion. He hated being her errand-boy. Yet at the same time he knew who had made him what he was. Unasked for, maybe, but he had to admit he liked it.
Valentine 14 years ago
"Don't be silly you know how we Irish tend to burn."Â?

She easily returned his humor. He wasn't exactly the boisterous type (out side of bed that was) and that was OK with her, so long as he didn't mind her being rather cheerful and quippy, they'd get along fine.

Open-ended schedule? Really, that caused her to raise an eyebrow at him. She wouldn't have expected any one in the Yakuza to be at loose ends. Perhaps he was in hiding or he'd lost his connections. Or maybe they weren't too happy with him. Should it be the latter wasn't it handy that he couldn't die. He might survive a hit or two before they figured out what he was and simply threw him out in the sun. Good for him.

Lazily she ran her foot along his leg, he had good legs.

"That I understand. Business is slow and I don't have anything to take my mind off it."Â?

She was going to wind up in trouble if something didn't happen soon. That was to say Val would cause her own trouble, she'd been batting around ideas for a while but nothing had quite sung to her.
"I did notice you were on fire last night," Tai drawled with dry humor.

He tilted his head at her questioning look, and offered her a half-smile. If she was going to ask questions with facial expressions, he would give her answers in the same way.

At least they both got irritable with lack of excitement. He nodded to Val and returned her lazy explorations with a few of his own, pretty certain they'd end up with round five fairly soon. Or six? He had lost count. The day was long and there weren't many places they could go; mingling with the guests of the Piazza wasn't very appealing to him and he imagined Val probably felt the same or she'd have suggested otherwise by now.

Wondering who exactly Val was and how far she could be trusted, Tai ventured a question of his own.

"What exactly are we supposed to do with our free time, anyhow?" His voice made it plain that the "we" in question meant vampires in general rather than the two of them in particular. "No one really bothered to fill me in on that score."
Valentine 14 years ago
Val rolled her eyes with easy good humor. She didn't really expect him to just pour his heart out to her. She hummed with pleasure as wandering hands found a good spot. This was much better than being cooped up in her rooms with phone calls, balance sheets and daytime TV.

His question was extremely unexpected. Val decided Tai must be quite young to still be wrestling with that issue. And did his maker not stick around? After all, Giovanni taught her how to stay busy and out of trouble. Wasn't this an unexpected turn of events.

Not one to cast judgment Val simply shrugged.

"I play by the rules I was taught, come when I'm called and don't get caught. Now, of late, I've not heard that I'm needed so that has left me a lot of time on my hands and over the years I've made use of the leeway that the 'don't get caught' rule gives us."Â?

She had no idea what, if any, clan Tai belonged to. However, Val suspected most clans had similar rules. It was so hard to say for sure, and she didn't really care. All she knew for certain is no matter what she'd engaged in over the years she'd made damned sure she'd not gotten into any trouble she couldn't get out of on her own.
"Sounds about where I am," Tai said easily enough. His relationship with Ellis hadn't really included a whole lot about recreational activity. Tai had made a number of assumptions there based on his Yakuza lifestyle; keep your head down and don't get into any real trouble being at the top of the list.

This was also a lot easier than trying to deal with humans in regular relationships. Hiding yourself from them was enough without having to try to act normal around them too. He almost suffered a pang of guilt, thinking back on several nice, normal meetings with Yuu... sitting on the couch, watching a movie... eating popcorn... but the guilt went away relatively quickly. She had decided to be angry at him, after all - not the other way around.

For a moment he was back in Yuu's apartment until he dragged himself away and back to the Piazza with Val. He regarded her neutrally for a moment, hands continuing their soft explorations, for he liked the pitch of the noises she made when he hit a spot she enjoyed.

"So who is it who calls you?" He finally asked. He was torn; Tai didn't like relying on others and that dislike had caused him to distance himself from nearly everyone he knew. But it seemed that in this world he needed to know people and that meant considering closer relationships. He supposed if he was capable of making friends with anyone, Val was a good start. He did like her.

Which was a good thing, after all, considering what they'd just done to this hotel room. As if in reponse to his chain of thought, a piece of broken plaster from the corner by the bathroom chose that moment to lose its grip and fall softly to the floor. Tai ignored it.
Valentine 14 years ago
“That’s a good start then.”

If he was at lose ends Val wondered if he would be interested in teaming up in some venture. It might be easier with a partner. She wished the dealership was doing better, it would be easier to launder money though it if there was more going on. Not that it would be impossible now, one would just have to be careful is all.

Who called? Val cocked her head at him and wondered exactly who Tai was. She’d decided he was quite young but now she was trying to figure out his clan. She could see him fitting in with Tàcharan and possibly with Anantya. It strained her imagination to see Evenhet taking in a Yakuza, even a former one. Although they probably were a forgiving lot. There was still the possibility that he was clanless. If his maker hadn’t taught him these things, maybe he needed a home.

“It depends I suppose. When the clan calls I come.”

Of course, that was a vague statement. It had been ages since they’d called too, that Hillman raid it seemed to Val. And if she remembered right that call had some how filtered down from Simon or had it filtered down from Ellis. It didn’t matter, not really.

“If my maker were to call I’d come as well.”
Tai grinned wryly at Val's not-quite-answers. "So, the rest of the time you just keep to yourself then?"

She sounded more and more like him, which wasn't entirely comforting. He was hoping to stay connected, not cultivate a relationship with someone who had nothing to offer in the way of acquaintances among their own kind. Still, he did like Val. There was something to be said for lying here with someone who was neither Ellis nor Yuu, who wasn't expecting him to be either subservient or more then he really was.

And best of all, he wouldn't have to kill her.
Valentine 14 years ago
Lithely and quick as a cat Val straddled Tai cheerfully grinning into his gold eyes. She’d been around the block a time or two and knew when she was being interrogated, pumped for information. From some people what Tai was doing would have caused her to lose her temper. But he did it well and he had other redeeming qualities, so instead she found it amusing.

“I wouldn’t call this keeping to myself. I call it being selective.”

Val was, by nature, rather gregarious. She’d just not managed to make any in roads into the clan her in Nachton. The two folks she’d worked with on the Hillman raid, Alex and Ginny, well she hadn’t seen them afterwards.

Lazily she traced a finger along his chest, some times following its contours sometimes following one of the tattoos.

“Maybe we ought to lay our cards on the table me boy or I’m sure we could dance around each other all day. I’m fine either way, but I do like to know what game I’m playing.”

She purred in her brogue. Her eyes danced and her smile never wavered. Val was quite serious but she kept her teasing manner to give him a graceful exit in case Tai really didn’t want to talk about it. She trusted he was wise enough to the world to understand that.
Tai gave a dry laugh when Val decided to hop on top of him. She sat there looking sexy and amused. He hadn't actually meant to pry. Well, maybe some. She was definitely a little on the jumpy side about it though.

Irrational annoyance flared up but he realized the virtue of sharing information with someone you meant to partner with. He had just preferred, until now, not to work with anyone but himself. Necessity stated, however, that if he really wanted an edge in the vampire world, he needed connections. Even ones as remote as Val might prove to be.

So he simply grinned up at her, returning her good spirit as far as he was able since lightheartedness didn't always suit him, and held his hands up in surrender.

"You win. What do you want to know?"
Valentine 14 years ago
Val was rather pleased with her perch and when he agreed to cooperate her grin only broadened. She grabbed his hands and 'pinned' them above his head. The restraint was very light and more a game than anything; although if he wanted it to dissolve into a wrestling match she'd be happy to oblige.

"Nothing you don't want to share gorgeous. I'm not an unreasonable woman."Â?

Prying wasn't really her gig, well at least not in this setting. Val had simply wanted to call him on the digging, let him know she was aware of what he was doing. Still if he was going to let her play quid pro quo she wouldn't mind that at all.

"If you wanted to start with who your family is and what a big strong boy like you is doing lurking about Nachton I'd be happy to listen."Â?

Yes she could be insanely secretive, she should work on that. There was no reason Val couldn't have told him what clan she belonged to first but she hadn't felt like it. And in this case 'big strong boy' translated to Yakuza hunk. She wondered if he'd get that.
Tai swiftly evaded Val's pinning grasp before wrapping an arm around her waist and flipping her handily over, pinning her down much in the same way as she'd pinned him. Now not only did he have the advantage, but she couldn't restrain him. Even a playful restraint was more than he wanted to put up with. His reaction was a little extreme perhaps, but in her playful mood he doubted it would really be noticed.

He did, however, honor her request although the thought of demanding information from her instead had occurred to him. Tai decided against that though. he was supposed to put some show of faith in her if they were to continue to be friends and - what was the phrase? Fuck buddies. Very accurate.

"I came over here a few years ago on a job. Finished it, and debated staying. The choice was made for me when a lovely lady from Tacharan took me to dinner and then decided to keep me around." He smiled grimly at the memory of Ellis' bite.

"Can't exactly say I've ever felt entirely welcome there, but I was thinking about dropping by."

That was about as close to the truth as he was planning to get. It was Val's turn, and he pinned her with his gaze while he tipped his head at her. "And you? It seems I'm not the only one away from home, and away from my former 'family.' Unless yours is still current? Must be tough to work for two bosses."

Oh, no, he hadn't missed the signs. Val was entirely too comfortable with what he was. His best guess was that she, too, was connected with organized crime, in her fashion.
Valentine 14 years ago
Val was quite taken aback when he flipped her around and pinned her down. She didn’t mind, but did make a note not to try any games that involved tying him up. Apparently he didn’t take it well. Which was interesting.

Knowing they were part of the same clan Val relaxed some. It fit. It also fit her picture of his being rather young. She almost felt bad for him that his maker wasn’t taking an active part of his formative years. Still sink or swim.

She wriggled provocatively under him, still playing the game.

“You should have come around sooner. I’d have given you a place to crash.”

He was observant, she had to give him that. She didn’t have any qualms about telling him about the family, not now.

“I’m a bit more old school. Think prohibition. I still stay in touch but unobtrusive and it has some benefits.”

She didn’t go to mentioning the IRA just yet. There was time for that later

Sitting up she nibbled at his neck a bit.

“Now that we’ve exchanged proper howdy do’s we might be able to dispense with the games.”
"I'd have taken you up on it," he said truthfully, "though I had a place to stay. And a job. My creator has been... well, otherwise occupied for the last few months. That's all."

Tai grinned at Val. "But you know, I like to have something to do. So when I get bored, I get restless." he shrugged; Val seemed to feel the same way. It wasn't that he felt neglected by Ellis or anything; he simply didn't have a goal of his own at the moment. All his goals for the past few years had been her goals.

"I didn't think it got much more old school than the Yakuza," he pointed out. They were just about as old school as you could get. "I'm out of the loop. I don't think I can go back to Japan; my former family has evaporated. They've left me alone so far, and I have a feeling it's because I'm playing nice and staying put in America."

He tilted his head to allow Val access to his neck; he enjoyed her touch. Again, there was something in it that spoke to him, likely because as he suspected, she wanted no strings and neither did he. Odd, yet convenient, to find her in the same Clan. He briefly wondered if Ellis would have a problem with that. How could she though? She had sought Simon's attentions; she could hardly begrudge him for looking elsewhere.

"I thought we'd played games all night. What's a few more?" Tai bit back, a little more roughly, more than willing to pass the majority of the day in much the same fashion as the previous night.