Early Morning Exploration (attn: Amir/open)

Dana hummed tunelessly to herself as she walked through the halls of Heolfor. Stopping occasionally to admire one of the many pieces of art. She had no specific destination in mind, just a need to be out of her four walls.

She come home from work just an hour before, and dawn was still a little while was away, not long enough to be outside, but enough that she wasn't interested in going to bed. She'd picked up her guitar to work on the song she was writing, but had not felt inspired in her room.

So with her guitar slung across her back, Dana was wandering the halls. She had no idea if Amir was home yet, or if he would be, so she was not heading to his rooms, though she'd very much like to. But how desperate would she look if he came home to find her waiting there for him?

Sighing she left the Monet she was admiring, and continued on her journey to no where.

Ysabel 14 years ago
Ysabel was on her way in from the stables, having checked on her horses and gone for a short ride with Elegy. She had given all three of them a thorough brushing as well, and was feeling invigorated herself with the exercise. She'd washed as best she could, but she thought she'd head to her old rooms just the same and clean up before tackling any business that needed to be done before dawn. She still kept a few changes of clothing there just for this purpose although most of her time was spent at the house with Amber and Marie, or in Amber's rooms.

She was very conscious of the fact that there were short, fine black horse hairs scattered about the skirts of her pale blue riding habit. She'd done her best to brush them off but that was just how it went. She'd have the outfit professionally cleaned, as usual, after she took it off.

As Ysabel turned the corner into the hall leading to her suite, she almost ran into someone with a guitar upon their back. With a soft gasp pf surprise, her hand fluttering to her chest, she said,
"Oh! Excuse me."

As the person turned, small enough to nearly be obscured by the instrument on her back, Ysabel recognized her and dipped her a respectful curtsey.
"Good morning, Lady."

She smiled at Dana, realizing she hadn't seen her since her arrival at Heolfor several weeks prior. "How are you? Settling in, I hope?"
Dana 14 years ago
Dana turned at the soft exclaimation and felt her face curl into a large smile. She was delighted to see Ysabel. She returned the respectful curtsy with one of her own, one that was easy and elegant and not made awkward by the instrument on her back.

"Good morning, Ysabel!"

She took in the blonde's appearance, and with a small breath discovered she'd been with horses. How delightful, Dana would have to look into the stables here. She missed riding.

"I'm doing quite well, thank you. I've settled in nicely."

She smiled again and pushed a single stray hair into place.

"How have you been?"
Ysabel 14 years ago
Ysabel's smile grew and she beamed at Dana. "I'm so glad," she said with sincerity. "I'm very well. I've just been riding, and it's such a pleasure now that the weather is cooling."

Her hand dropped gracefully away from her chest to indicate the telltale hairs on the powder blue of her light coat and skirts. She indicated the guitar on Dana's back.

"I didn't know you played. What sort of music? Ambrose, the gentleman I introduced you to when you arrived, is a musician as well."

She couldn't recall if Ambrose had had his guitar with him when they'd met, but she hadn't thought so. If Dana were looking to make acquaintances, it might be nice for her to chat with Ambrose.

"I can't seem to develop a hand for the guitar myself," she said honestly. "I believe I'm limited to my piano playing."
Dana 14 years ago
"Yes, it is beginning to feel more like home, and I can walk outside with out ruining my fine silks." She chuckled softly.

Her fingers went to her hip to gently stroke the fine black wood of her guitar.
"On the guitar? Mostly American folk and country music, but I'm learning a little bit of something called rockabilly. It seems to work well on the acoustic guitar."

She remembered the mostly quiet Mr. Townsend. It would be interesting to talk with him about the instrument, she had some questions about alternate chords that the books simply couldn't answer properly.

She took a look at Ysabel's hands, they were lovely and looked to be perfect for the piano.
"I play the piano as well, but I find I am much better with the stringed instruments I have tried."

She smiled again. "I don't know that I would call the piano limited, if given enough love it can give the most amazing sound."
Ysabel 14 years ago
Ysabel nodded as Dana spoke, listening to the older woman intently. She wasn't entirely familiar with rockabilly herself, but with Ambrose around she was coming to know all kinds of genres she hadn't been previously introduced to.

"You've certainly branched out a good deal," she said admiringly. "Ambrose has tried to get me to expand into jazz, and it's actually a lot of fun." She shook her head ruefully even so. "I'm afraid I lack the creativity to be very good at improvisation though. I'm very used to the forms and the rhythms of classical music."

Ysabel fully agreed with Dana's perception of the piano. "It has a wonderful range of expression and sounds, yet again it is limited to the creativity and the expression of the performer."

She was her own worst critic; although Ambrose had decided she just lacked practice in being creative, Ysabel had her doubts.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir had gone to Dana's room to see if she was in, but as it turned out she wasn't. He had her CD tucked into the deep pocket of his sweatshirt and he'd planned to return it to her, having listened to it several times. She was a talented artist. He knew little about music but even his untrained ear had found her compositions pleasing. Some of them were more interesting than others, but all of them were well-played.

Leaving her door and intending to find something else to do, he considered heading to the observatory for a little while. He didn't like being at loose ends like this, between stages of his setup, but it gave him time to address some of his own internal questions at least. And to spend time with Dana, when he could find her.

Rounding a corner he heard voices, soft feminine ones, and smiled softly to himself as he recognized Dana's. He turned another corner and listened quietly, unobserved, to the two ladies apparently deep in conversation. Dana, of course, looked as pretty as always and by her side was the beautiful, aristocratic Ysabel Yolgrave.

They made a lovely pair, both of them fair, both of them gentle, and both of them capable of being strong, vicious hunters. Amir had met Ysabel on several occasions, all of them in England the few times he had passed through, staying with the Anantya there. He enjoyed her company and that of her creators. Their family was old blood, and save the tragic defection of Ysabel's twin sister, they were all respectable people.

When there was a suitable break in the conversation, Amir broke in with a small cough.

"Ladies. Good morning."

With respect for Ysabel's preferences, he bowed to them both.
"I hope I'm not interrupting."
Dana 14 years ago
She smiled, having become familiar with jazz, but not liking the way it felt on the guitar the one time she tried a piece. "I enjoy jazz as well, it is music one can dance to."

Dana took a moment to consider Ysabel's words. It seemed the Lady had confidence in her skill, but not in her own creativity. One did not play an instrument in any way close to well, with out creativity. So, Dana simply did not accept such a thing.

"I would like very much to hear you play. I find that sitting down and putting your fingers to the keys to play the joy of someone else's music, makes for enough creativity to fill anyone's soul. Expression, is like beauty, in the eye, or in this case ear, of the beholder."

The soft cough had Dana looking up and she felt her face brighten and expand into a reflection of the joy that suddenly bubbled in her heart. Somewhere in the back of her head, she was dismayed by the reaction, but that portion was pressed back and forgotten.

She quickly schooled her countenance and dipped a brief curtsy as she spoke.
"Good Morning, Amir."

She would keep her genuine and most wanted expression of seeing him to herself until they were alone. It was only the proper thing to do and she had no desire for Ysabel to see her loose control of herself.
Ysabel 14 years ago
Ysabel nodded to Dana, her smile warm. "We'll have to arrange to meet sometime soon," she said. "I'm sure Ambrose would enjoy discussing his music with you, and I would be happy to play if you like. I have my harps also, but it tends to be easier to play the piano."

It was surprising how many people she knew who also enjoyed music and had learned an instrument. Several, in some cases. For her, it had been expected of her to learn an instrument. Every well-bred lady did so, and Ysabel had applied herself to both the standing harp and the lap harp. The piano had come a bit later, but she enjoyed it.

Before she could respond to Dana, she turned to see a familiar person standing there. As he emerged into the light, Ysabel recognized Amir Rashid and dropped him a low, respectful curtsey of her own, one she would have used for relatives of royalty. She caught Dana's expression and noted its change, as well as the fact that Dana addressed the Ancient by his given name, an informality she never would have presumed to use herself.

"Mister Rashid, of course you're not interrupting." Ysabel straightened and smiled again. "Dana was just bolstering my self-esteem regarding my musical abilities."

Her face and tones did not change from their pleasant warmth and she easily worked Amir into the conversation. Inside, though, she quailed and resolved to leave soon. She liked Amir and had a great deal of respect for him not only for his age and status in the Clan, but because he had always treated her and her family with respect and kindness. She felt uncomfortable around him, though, since Dayle's departure from Anantya. Amir was something of a fanatic and Ysabel always wondered if he was, perhaps, judging her, waiting for the "other twin" to go the way of her sister.

She would have to let Ambrose know... oh, Ambrose! Ysabel froze. What would Amir think of Ambrose?

The thoughts flew through her head without so much as the slightest indication to cross her face, and she inclined her head curiously at the much older vampire.
"I don't think I've ever met you here at Heolfor," she said. "Have you been here long?"
Amir 14 years ago
Amir expected no less from Ysabel, who resembled Bao in her adherence to formalities and procedures. It made her good at what she did, as a member of the Rose. Out of respect for Dana in Ysabel's company, he didn't greet her as he would have liked, but instead turned his silky smile upon her.

"I'm sure Dana could raise anyone's self-esteem, if she but graced them with her smile."

With an inward sigh he maintained a polite distance from both women and addressed Ysabel's polite inquiry. "No, we've never had the pleasure," he said. Every time he'd seen Ysabel he'd been just passing through and aside from a few enjoyable discussions they had never spent much time together. "I've been here for a couple weeks," he continued, "on Clan business as always, but it may be a while before I move on again."

If he ever did. Depending on how he handled things here his job would either be done, or it would be ongoing. If the latter was the case though, it wouldn't surprise him if Subira had someone replace him and called him back to Africa with her. Time alone would tell.

"I was actually looking for you, Dana," Amir said. "I wanted to return this and thank you for letting me borrow it." He offered the CD in its green case to Dana, his smile warm, his eyes sparkling with the prospect of sitting down with her to discuss it.
Dana 14 years ago
Such formality surprised Dana. She herself had used it with Ysabel, and would have with Amir had their meeting not been so...intimate. Was Amir more than a protector of the clan, was she being disrespectful of him in the way she treated him with such informality? No, he would have put her in her place from the beginning if he was more than what he'd told her. She had every right to her casualness with him. Which made her wonder what it was in the relationship between Amir and Ysabel that they would be so formal.

She revealed nothing of these thoughts, as her cheeks flushed lightly with Amir's compliment.

She had not expected him to return the CD, and it made her wonder if he had not approved of her music, no he was just being polite and returning her property. Smiling, she took the thin plastic case from him.
"The pleasure was mine, Amir.

She very much wanted to hear his opinions, and hoped he would have time for her this morning, before retiring.
Ysabel 14 years ago
Ysabel felt a wash of relief as Amir gave her a reason to excuse herself. Clearly, from the way Dana and Amir reacted to each other, there was a distinct reason for the lack of formality between them. They must have known each other for some time. She knew very little of Dana's background save that the woman was older than she was. Of Amir, she knew slightly more because he was somewhat unique within the Clan, or, at least, had made a name for himself by more than simply age.

It wasn't that she didn't like Amir. She found that despite his reputation for bluntness and being difficult to get along with, he was kind enough to those he considered "real" Anantya, a distinction Ysabel was pleased to have. It was more an insecurity on her part. Amir could be a dangerous person, and when Dayle had left them she had had to quell comments from many of her fellow Anantya. Amir had not been in England at the time, a fact that Ysabel was glad for, for she was certain he would have been among the dissenters. And now, how would he feel about Ambrose? Would she find herself opposed with him if he didn't accpet the one-legged vampire?

She regarded her own opinions with something akin to disgust. It didn't matter what Amir thought. She loved Amber, and Dayle. She would stick by them no matter what. But, oh, she hated confrontation and Amir seemed to thrive on it.

As Amir turned to Dana and handed her what appeared to be a borrowed CD, Ysabel took the opportunity to smile at the couple, if that was the proper term... and she very nearly though it might be, judging by Amir's smile and Dana's pink cheeks.

"Since you seem to have found who you were looking for, I won't detain her any longer," Ysabel said. "I really must change out of this habit before Rupert sees what I'm doing to this carpet and has an annurism."

With that she turned to Dana. "If you like, we can meet this weekend. If there's a time that suits you just send a message to me through one of the staff. They'll see it reaches me."

Almost reluctantly, but again, her courtier's face too polite a mask to show it, she turned to Amir. "Perhaps Mr. Rashid would like to join us."

Making her polite exit wih another deep curtsey, she continued down the hall in the direction she had perviously been traveling, shedding fine black hairs behind her.

((ooc: Ysabel out pending responses))
Amir 14 years ago
Amir certainly hadn't meant to run Ysabel off, but by the looks of her she had been headed to change her clothing so perhaps she was just as glad to be away. Her concern for the feelings of Heolfor's human staff made him frown in surprise; he hadn't known her to be so concerned before, but then, he hardly knew her at all.

Bowing to Ysabel as she left, he raised his dark eyebrows at Dana.
"Join you for what?"
Dana 14 years ago
Dana's weekend was surprisingly free, so she smiled at Ysabel. "I'd like that. I'll get word to you soon."

Returning the curtsy, feeling odd to be so formal with Ysabel, she straightened and grinned up at Amir. "What is shaping up to be, what I think is commonly referred to, a jam session. I like to call it an exchanging of the gift of music."

With a tilt of her head she studied Amir for a moment, as she considered the guitar upon her back. It was with only a little consternation that she stepped into his personal space, and rose up on tip toe to press her lips to his. She would have liked very much to have startled him, by jumping into his arms, and showing her pleasure at seeing him. However, this was just as lovely.

Reluctantly she pulled away from his lips, the taste of him coating her tongue, to smile up at him
"Good morning, Amir. How have you been?" Her voice was soft and a little husky from the kiss.
Amir 14 years ago
"Ah."

Anything else Amir might have said in response was effectively silenced by a very sweet kiss which he returned wholeheartedly. "Good morning to you," he returned emphatically, a cat-that-ate-the-canary grin on his face as he wet his lips with the tip of his tongue, savoring the new taste.

"A jam session?" Amir's brow furrowed. He was familiar with the term but clearly he would be the odd man out as he had no instrumental ability to speak of. "I'm not sure."

On the one hand he would like to hear Dana perform again, as well as Ysabel. On the other, he had very little to add to such a gathering and didn't relish the thought of being the only one neither engaged or very interested in the conversation. What a quandary.
"I could turn pages," he suggested dryly, his lips twisting at the idea of being relegated to such a task.

Tabling that idea for the moment he took Dana's hand.
"So, are you free? Or have you filled up your social calendar for the night? And if you have, who's expecting you, so I can call them up and let them know you're unavailable?"

It was affected arrogance. He wouldn't detain her if she had plans, but he did hope she had none.
Dana 14 years ago
Dana's lips curled into a sly smile, that would be a sight to see. "I fear your talents might be wasted in such a vocation."

Her hand folded easily into his, as her head tilted to one side again. "I believe my schedule if free this morning. You are fortunate, I'm a popular woman."

She chuckled softly, that was a complete untruth, but sometimes they made for funny commentary. As she moved to walk beside Amir, she gently shifted her guitar so that it did not bump into him as they walked.

"How have you been?" She generally asked this question to most people, but with Amir she was actually, genuinely interested.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir chuckled softly at that. "Unless you want the music destroyed beyond recognition. Then I'm your guy. I'm pretty sure I could butcher a song, even while simply turning pages."

His eyes held Dana's for a moment while he smiled at her.
"I'm fortunate, indeed. To think, someone else could have caught your interest and then where would I be?"

Well... strictly speaking he'd be right here at Heolfor, albeit having a lot less fun in his free time.

Dana was walking next to him, her small hand tucked comfortably into his, and he briefly wondered where they were going. Was he walking with her, or was she walking with him? It was impossible to tell at the moment. Hopefully they wouldn't fetch up against a wall in the confusion.

"I've been fine," he answered her with a little shrug. "Just business as usual. Sometimes it's a lot of fun and there's a good deal going on; sometimes there are interminably long periods of waiting. This is one of those. How about yourself?"
Dana 14 years ago
When they came to an intersecting hallway, Dana gently steered them left. She had no real destination. as the places she wished to go would be only temporary due to the coming dawn. This had been the direction she'd been heading to begin with as it was, heretofore, an unexplored hall.

"I'm well thank you. I've been quite busy with my work with Bao, as well as taking driving lessons from Bao and my own personal pursuits. You know, he's a very patient teacher."

Her eyes fell on an open door ahead, an unusual occurrence at Heolfor. As they approached she paused and looked inside. It was some form of entertainment room. On one wall a large black rectangle hung from the wall, Dana was certain this was a television, in front of it was a grouping of couches, chairs and low tables. The opposite end of the room was dominated by a billiards table and on the wall behind it was a dart board and all the paraphernalia that belongs with such a table.

"This looks interesting. Shall we?"

She gentured into the room, giving Amir the choice of going inside or continuing on.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir tilted his head as Dana spoke, amused. So Bao was teaching her how to drive too? Interesting.

"Yes, he is. He's a surprising man. And a good one." Of all the men and women Amir had turned over the years, Bao was the only one with whom he would really claim friendship. The others were well enough; obedient, smart, dutiful, but Bao had actually become a friend somehow.

They came to one of several game rooms and Dana appeared interested. Amir nodded to her when she asked, and they entered. Inspecting the TV Amir saw it had a discreet shelf below it with a bunch of movies from different genres. The dart board and pool table looked ready for use, everything stored neatly away on the walls by their respective attractions.

He stood in the center of the room, arms spread open.
"What's your pleasure?"
Dana 14 years ago
Slipping the guitar from her back, she laid it in the crook of the closest couch. Her eyes drifted around the room, coming to rest on the billiards table.

"Billiards?"

She wasn't particularly good at billiards, but she understood the mathmatics of it enough to not make a fool of herself. She smoothed the skirts of her baby blue dress. It was one of her favorites, falling to her knees from a gathered empire waist, with a gentle scoop neck and small capped sleeves.

Crossing the room, she selected one of the shorter cues from the rack on the wall.

"Will you rack?"
Amir 14 years ago
"Sure," Amir said with a nod, selecting a cue from the wall and leaning it against the table. It was a pocket table, so he pulled out the entire rack and arranged it for a game of eight ball, alternating stripes and solids with the black number 8 in the middle. Shuffling the balls a few times to tighten them up he carefully removed the rack and replaced it below the table.

"Your break," he said to Dana.

He'd played pool before, so at least he was reasonably certain he wouldn't do too badly. It was all about calculations and math, two things he was good at, and the game had never been particularly difficult for him.

He stood back to allow Dana room to break while carefully chalking the tip of his cue.