Getting my game on

Saturday night. Steve was driving aimlessly around town, when the arcade caught his eye. He had heard that there were pool tables there, as well as a mechanical bull. He pulled his car into a spot, locked the door, and walked into the crowed place. The noise and light nearly overwhelming him, he strode to the nearest pool table, paid, then began playing. As he started to relax a bit, he noticed that his green rock and roll t-shirt, torn jeans, and steel-toed boots were drawing some funny looks from the rest of the patrons. Smiling to himself, Steve finished off the first game, and walked around the table to pay for another. This would probably be a lot better if I had company, he tought, chalking the poolstick.

Jillian 14 years ago
Glad she reached the arcade so quickly, not feeling too comfortable walking alone on the street, even if she probably wasn't in a lot of physical danger, Jillian felt much more at home the second she walked through the doors, than she had at Babylon.

Looking around she saw the pool tables first, mainly because she played pool a great deal better than she did video games. Unfortunately all the tables were being used, so she would have to try and crash a game, or wait. Her lack of patience won out, and she approached the man playing alone at the nearest table.

As she approached the man she looked him over as discreetly as she could, and found there was something about him that made her feel somewhat at ease.

"I don't mean to bother you, and if you want to play alone, I totally understand. But then too, if you'd like some company, I'd love to play a game or two. Just don't expect a lot of competition."

Jillian smiled brightly, hoping the man would accept her offer, but not think he'd be getting much of a work out. Jillian did love to play pool, and could do a decent job of sinking easy shots, but was lost when things became serious. This was why she wouldn't ever take offense if the man didn't wish to be bothered.
Steven 14 years ago
Steve straighted up from the coin tray as the girl spoke to him in friendly tones. He gave her a startled glace, then grinned, tossing her his poolstick. Tonight wasn't a badass, dominate everyone kind of night. Might as well have some company, even if it was only a child. Given the establishment, it was no suprise that he was easily the oldest person in here anyway. He then set up the balls carefully, and, after getting himself a new poolstick and making a mental note to stick to his favorite bar when they got the pooltable there fixed, stood to the side. "You break," he said, winking.
Jillian 14 years ago
Jillian caught the pool stick, even though the man's tossing it at her was a bit of a surprise. Not being a true aficionado, she kept it, re-chalking the end.

Standing out of his way, Jillian waited until the balls were racked, ignored the kind of weird wink the man gave her, and aimed the cue ball just to the side of the point. Jillian played pool a little like she bowled.

Her luck was up tonight and she managed to knock the solid purple ball into the pocket. Sadly, that was the only ball that fell in, yet several others remained positioned well for her opponent.

"Now is when I guess I stand back and watch you mop the floor with me?"

Her laugh was genuine, and not at all defensive. Jillian wasn't terribly competitive, but rather just enjoyed playing. If the first game went quickly, she guessed she might get another chance afterward. If not, she'd still live to play again.

"I'm Jillian." She offered, but without extending her hand since the man was clear on the other side of the table, and getting ready to prepare for his shot.
Steven 14 years ago
Steve watched as the purple ball dropped into the pocket. Perhaps this kid was better than he thought. Her comment about him wiping the floor with her was funny, but he doubted he was going to do too much damage tonight. But at least she was a good sport about the possibility that he would win. His eyes, trained hard from the years of landing fighter aircraft, lined up on a ball that had drifted into a perfect position, and he took the shot. His shot was way off, but he got off easy, sinking the solid green and red striped balls. He surveyed the table. Not good. He was liable to get whooped this round, but it was all good. He needed to be taken down a peg anyway. His new opponent spoke again, this time telling her name.
"Nice to meet you, Jillian," Steve said, glancing at her. "My name is Steve." As he said this, he noticed that the kid had to be only 15 or so, and he wondered what a child was doing running around alone like this.
Reign 14 years ago
Bowling, he wanted to go bowling. What was it with werewolves and bowling? Was it some kind of cultural thing? Did they all just like throwing heavy objects? Was it an elaborate practical joke? Reign wasn’t sure, but she’d let the boy talk her into it. It was kind of fun after all.

He was at work and she was coming from a personal appearance, so they’d agreed to meet there. As she’d opened the door Reign had gotten a text saying he’d be a little later than planed. She shrugged philosophically and wandered over to the bar ordering a beer. Sometimes Reign made an effort to order something a bit more ‘girly’ when she was out and some times, like today, she didn’t care.

A couple of people were playing pool. The arcade wasn’t exactly fertile ground to hustle a few bucks, and she wasn’t in the mood. Reign was happy to watch, she also happened to catch both names and file them away. Maybe she’d need them later, although, probably not. She and her beer settled in to watch the game and watch for the boy.
Jillian 14 years ago
Two more balls down, which was not bad for Steve, but better for Jillian, she thought, when the results gave her a few opportunities she never thought she'd get.

Circling the table, Jillian looked over the placement of the balls thoroughly before deciding she had two shots open. The problem was one shot was easy, but would probably ruin the second shot, and the second option was a lot more difficult, though it would still free up a subsequent shot. Sighing she went for the easy shot, made it, but as the ball headed for the pocket it glanced off another ball, and did what she'd feared initially. Now she had no decent follow up shot.

Jillian attempted the next shot anyway, and wasn't surprised when nothing happened.

"Do you play pool here often?"

Smiling as she stepped back from the table, the young woman waited and watched. Hearing the question after she'd spoken it she wished she could have taken it back, so silly and trite did it sound. But she was curious. It would be nice to know a friendly face might be around if she ever decided to come back. Then again, she knew the next time she came she would probably bring Jesse. She wondered if he played.
Steven 14 years ago
As the girl took her shot, Steve noticed that there was a new spectator to their game. He gave the woman a glance, then decided that she was not worth his trouble. He turned back to the game, in time to see Jillian take a crappy shot with good humor. He laughed as he lined up a shot that she had left him, and fired away. The ball sped across the table, but it spun out and hit the side at the wrong angle, leaving Steve with an unproductive shot and a great shot for Jillian. He looked up, and her question registered. "No," he said, "I always play at Tufty's, but the table there is out of order." He smiled. "I just had to get my que stick fix." He paused for a moment, then asked, "How about you? This one of your regular hangouts?"
Jillian 14 years ago
Watching, Jillian was trying to plan out her next shot, based on where the ball seemed headed. She really had no real clue about the strategy of pool, or even if there was one, but there was little else to do.

"Out of order?"

Jillian couldn't figure out how a table could be out of order, and looking over the one she was playing on didn't give her any hints either.

Of course 'Tufty's' wasn't known to her either, not being a pool aficionado.

"Nope, first time I've ever been here, and tonight was kind of a fluke, in all honesty. I was supposed to meet a girl from school over at Babylon for drinks, but she never showed."

Setting up her shot as she talked, Jillian paused and managed to hit another ball in, before picking up her train of thought. Walking around the table, scoping out her next attempt, she continued, picking up the thin jersey of her dress between her fingers.

"Though its true I don't play pool often, if I did I would probably wear something a little more appropriate."

She giggled a smile at Steve teasingly, and then bent over the table as discreetly as she could, managing to keep all her 'assets' covered. Her next shot went awry, as she fully expected, and Jillian stepped back from the table again.
Reign 14 years ago
Reign couldn’t help herself, she snorted into her beer. She’d played at Tufty’s once or twice, she’d even done one exhibition there, but she was a snob. The place was lowbrow, at least by her standards. For god’s sake the last time she’d been there it looked and felt like the tables hadn’t been re-felted in ages. Maybe it had gotten better, but she hadn’t bothered with the place.

Unable to keep her opinions to herself she muttered, loud enough for people to hear if they wanted but ignore if they wanted too.

“C’est la Vie is better.”

That was her preferred hall. Nice, clean, a good number of nine foot tables that were well maintained, besides the bar tenders and managers knew her and took good care of her as well as keeping the riff raff under control and/or out of the hall.

Lazily sipping her beer, she watched the girl and was hard pressed not to offer some advice.
Steven 14 years ago
Steve heard the woman snort and comment on his prefered bar, but he didn't care. Sure Tufty's was a typical rowdy honky-tonk style bar, but he was happy with that. It sure beat some stuck-up, upper-class hell-hole where you couldn't even find good tunes or fight with someone who was trying to cut in on a dance. He smiled at the thought as Jillian looked the table over. He was about to speak when his phone went off in a series of short, shrill beeps. His blood ran cold. That was the emergency line. He pulled it out and opened it, recognizing his sister's number on the screen.
"Hello?" Even though he was trying to keep calm, his voice still sounded a little apprehesive, whch was nothing compared to what he was feeling.
"Steve, there's someone here!" Even over the phone, Nikki sounded terrified. Steve's heart began to race. "I think they're looking for me!" There was a terrible crash, then came a sound that was worse than any vampire, terrorist, or any other of the myraid of nightmares that Steve had lived through: "Steve! Help me!" "Nikki!" But Steve's shouts were in vain. He whirled around, and ran for the door, dialing for backup as fast as he could as he blasted between two other patrons, knocked aside some member of the arcade's staff, and left the doors swinging. He slid across the hood of his car, yanked the door open, and sped off into the night before the startled patrons of the arcade could so much as ask "What the hell?"

(Steven, over and out!)
Jillian 14 years ago
Jillian thought she heard someone nearby say something, but she'd been so caught up in lining up her shot that she paid little attention to it. It hadn't been Steven, and right now he was the only one she owed any consideration. Besides, Steven hadn't replied either...

The sound of a cell phone cut off any further thoughts beyond the shot she'd just made, and Jillian paused.

Watching Steven's face as he spoke into the tiny phone, Jillian's better than average hearing kicked in and she was able to hear some of what he was listening to. The caller was obviously female, and sounded to Jillian to be quite frightened. Steve's own shouts into the phone drove home that opinion, and caused Jillian to forget the game at hand.
Watching Steve leave without even a quick 'catch you later' cemented the notion. Whoever had called Steven must have been in terrible trouble, and Jillian found no issue with the loss of her pool partner.

Following behind the man as he ran from the arcade, Jillian waited at the door, watching as he drove off. Shaking her head in question, she knew she wasn't going to find out what had happened tonight, if ever.

Without even blinking, the slightly distracted Jillian returned her pool cue to the rack, grabbed her purse, and just left the arcade. This evening hadn't gone anything like she had planned, or hoped, but at least it had been somewhat of an experience, and she hadn't been bored!

(Jillian out)
Reign 14 years ago
Reign watched the other two wander off and just shrugged. Whatever, it wasn’t as if they were having a deep conversation.

As she was polishing off her beer, she got a text from the boy and he indicated he wouldn’t be there. Reign swore silently and in doing so caught the attention of another patron at the bar.

Feeling like being the shark tonight, she smiled demurely and apologized for the outburst. It didn’t take much at that point to get him to the table and after deliberately losing a couple he started boasting about how good he was and if she had been ‘one of the guys’ they’d have some money on it. Pro she might be but those words were music to Reign’s ears.

Doing her best to sound naïve she agreed. Next thing that poor man knew she’d taken him for seven games and about $200. It just went to show that even on a cheap eight footer she was more than a force to be reckoned with. Of course, Reign knew that, her partner, not so much.

He was getting less bewildered and more angry so she called it a night and got herself home before he got around to causing a scene.

((OOC… Reign out))