Using Proper Bait (attn: Nikhila)

It had been a long day, and a fruitless one. In spite of several Kadzait coming to him with bits and snatches of information they hoped would help solve the mystery of their murdered packmates, Xeph didn't think they were any closer to even knowing where to begin looking.

Feeling somewhat defeated he headed in the direction of the dining room, hoping at least to find food before aiming himself back at his rooms. He stopped before he reached it though. Debating a moment or five, he turned down that idea. He wasn't feeling entirely sociable, and the great room in the Den was almost always occupied.

A better idea came to mind and he headed toward his rooms, which were conveniently in the same direction as Nikhila's. They hadn't seen much of each other recently, with things as hectic as they were, and he didn't want her to feel neglected.

That, and she'd gotten into the habit of stocking her kitchen with Xeph-friendly snacks like raw meat and fish and the occasional shellfish. He suspected she did it because he was a horrible shopper and more often than not had drinks but nothing else in his own kitchen. Maybe it was because that was the kind of caring and considerate woman she was.

Then again, maybe she was just trying to get him to stop over more often. He wouldn't put it beyond her. It worked, whatever the reason.

She'd given him leave to enter without knocking but he couldn't bring himself to. He reached her door and give it a good pounding, just in case she was further inside than the living room.

Nikhila 14 years ago
No matter how upset she was about these murders, there wasn’t a lot Nikhila could do about them. She wanted to, but she didn’t even know where to start and even if she knew that, she wasn’t exactly skilled in this arena. So all she could really do was worry. More to the point, she was worried about Xeph but he had enough going on and enough people either pressing for answers or providing what information that they had she didn’t want to get underfoot. This was a harder lesson to learn than she’d have thought, but she was determined to learn. She had faith if there was something she could help with he’d let her know.

Until then, she’d just started making sure to have food he considered edible about. At first, she’d intended to put it in his fridge. He, however, rather stumbled across it in hers. But he kept coming back. Apparently if you feed him, he will come. What ever worked, it ensured she at least saw him now and again.

In an attempt to make sure at least one of them had more time for the other Nikhila was now only teaching one class. Tonight she was sitting at the kitchen table trying to grade some papers. Apparently, she was more focused then she’d realized as the pounding at her door made her jump, scattering some of the papers across the table and landing one or two on the floor. On the upside, she hadn’t knocked the laptop to the floor. A knock like that could only be one person. She did whish he’d just come in without knocking. He both knew the door was open and even if it wasn’t, he had a key.

Nikhila started getting the papers back in order.

“You could just huff and puff and blow the door down. It might be more effective.”

Missing one that was under her chair (she hadn’t seen it) she did get up to answer the door. Opening it she cocked her head at him in a questioning manner.

“Or are you afraid I wouldn’t let you in?”
Xeph 14 years ago
Xeph grinned at Nikhila as she opened the door. She could easily put a smile on his face. Things weren't exactly perfect between them; they were still learning how not to step on each others' toes, but it was a challenge and a pleasure for him at least. He thought Nikhila felt the same way.

Leaning forward, bracing himself on the door frame, he kissed her softly.
"Well I thought I'd better give it a good manly knock. Just in case you had company or something. It's bad for my image to have a wussy knock."

He said it with his most convincing air, pretty sure she wouldn't buy it for a second. So, to forestall her calling his bluff, he slid past her into her living room, bouncing on his toes and swinging his arms back and forth.

"I just thought it had abeen a little while since I'd been over, and all, and I missed you. And I'm hungry."

Did puppy dog eyes work on Nikhila? It seemed like the best time to find out, so he experimented, waiting for her reaction.
Nikhila 14 years ago
It was a no brainer to kiss him back. Even if he had startled her more than she cared to admit she was happy to see him.

“You keep knocking like that and I will start having company they might break a few bones jumping out the window to hide from you, but I’m sure it won’t be anything that can’t be fixed..”

She rolled her eyes at him playfully, teasing. She might not quite yet understand how to deal with the whole “I’m with the Alpha” thing but she could give him grief, that much hadn’t changed.

Letting him slink, in as much as a werewolf of his size could slink, by her Nikhila shut the door behind them. All she could do was shake her head at the puppy dog eyes. How many people got to see that expression.

“Are you more hungry or desolate without my presence? Answer wrong and I have some salad for you, as well as some noodles I could cook up. Answer right and I think we can do better than that.”
Xeph 14 years ago
"Okay... make sure it's company you don't like much," Xeph said with a big grin. "I can patch them up afterward."

Well, he could.

At Nikhila's next question, or warning, whichever it was, he tried to look injured.
"How can you ask such a thing? Of course I'm desolate without you. Mostly. I mean, maybe not exactly desolate. Disgruntled for sure. Even discomfited!"

Even as he said it, he was backing toward her kitchen, knowing he would be in trouble and enjoying teasing Nikhila. Her lighthearted responses were definitely the right thing for the moment. Oh, he'd 'fess up to her later about feeling down - as if she didn't know how he'd be feeling already - but for the moment she seemed to be in a playful enough mood and he hadn't realized how badly he'd needed that.
Nikhila 14 years ago
Nikhila narrowed her eyes at his deliberate misunderstanding about her company. Just for that she was going to buy a pair of men’s shoes and have them peaking out from under the curtains as if some one was hiding behind them.

Raising an eyebrow at his attempt to talk his way out of trouble and into the fridge she gave Xeph a bit of a head start.

“A fondness for the letter D today? Perhaps I should get you a thesaurus for Christmas so you can branch out. As it stands I think you may only have earned the noodles.”

She was going to get in front of the fridge or die trying. While trying to plan her attack Nikhila noticed the one escaped paper under her chair.

“They are in the pantry and while you’re at it would you grab that paper from under the chair please?”

Hoping to have distracted him for at least a second or two, and realizing subtlety wasn’t going to play out well here she made a mad dash to place herself between Xeph and the stash of protein she knew was in the fridge. Nikhila slid to a stop while grabbing a spatula off the counter and brandished it at him.

“I’m glad you haven’t been desolate, but disgruntled? Really? Hardly a romantic term, especially when you come to raid the fridge.”

It was said playfully and she couldn’t help but smile at him even if she was pretending to be irritated. Right at this very moment she had the upper hand. It would last all of five seconds, but she was going to enjoy it for now. They hadn’t had the chance to play in a while and she’d missed it. Serious matters could wait for a bit, right now was their time. Like having the upper hand it might only last a minute or two, but quality over quantity right?
Xeph 14 years ago
Xeph snorted and played dumb deliberately. "A thesaurus? I thought those went extinct thousands of years ago."

He bent to pick up Nikhila's fallen paper and rose to find her between him and dinner, wielding a spatula. Placing the paper gingerly on the table, he patted it meekly and considered the situation before him. He'd never tried to disarm a woman with a spatula before.

Hoping to lull Nikhila into a false sense of security Xeph moved to the pantry, retrieved the noodles with a thumb, a forefinger, and a wrinkled nose, and placed them delicately on the edge of the counter, considering them for a moment before reaching out one fingertip and pushing them all the way on so they wouldn't fall. Then without warning he whirled, grabbed Nikhila's wrist in one hand, wrapped his other arm around her waist, and lifted.

Spinning quickly he hugged her close, kissed her again, and gave a tiny pinch at her wrist, releasing her and catching the spatula as it dropped. Now he had the weapon, and, moreover, he was standing in front of the fridge.

Brandishing the spatula the same way she had, he fended her off and flung the door wide open.

"Aha!" He pointed with the spatula at the bounty within. "See? Either you've had a change of palate, or you've been feeding some other carnivore!"

Xeph turned to Nikhila with his brows raised. "I thought I was your only carnivore," he said mournfully. "Say it's not how it looks! I can't live without you."

If she wanted mush, he could provide. Madmartigan came next.
"You are my moon, my sun, my starlit sky. Without you I dwell in darkness." After Madmartigan left, Braveheart took his place with an unsurprisingly accurate accent. "I love ye. Always have."

And, because she was looking unconvinced, he added some Jerry. "You had me at 'filet mignon.'"
Nikhila 14 years ago
She rolled her eyes at him for the thesaurus comment but let it slide as she was highly suspicious of this sudden apparent submission. That was neither an Aidan nor an Alpha trait and potentially cause for alarm. He found the noodles, points for that. She didn't take her eyes off him as he set them on the counter securely.

Even ready for his next move she gave a small squeak of surprise as he grabbed her and removed her from the path to the fridge. It was quite coordinated, almost like dancing. Although, she doubted dancing involved disarming one's partner and he had quite effectively taken away her weapon.

Nikhila had opened her mouth to say something about him being her only carnivore but he started into a lovely montage of movie sound bites. Scarily enough she could identify all of them and did like two of the movies involved. Nikhila was literally biting her tongue to keep from laughing at him, but it showed in her face and eyes. Finally she did give up and let her smile slip.

"Much better. You may want to remember this approach next time you're hungry."Â?

Shooing him out of the way, with a semi gentle poke in his shoulder, she pulled out of the fridge some prawns, some scallops and finally two good sized rib eyes. The two steaks was her way of saying she'd be sharing this meal with him whether he liked it or not. They could talk, they could watch a movie, they could do both but he needed some down time.

"Did you want a quick sear on anything?"Â?

She did mean quick, as in touch the grill count to five flip it and repeat. For herself it would take a bit longer, but the cook top did have a nice grill in it so it was fast and easy. Putting the noodles away and looking for veggies for herself Nikhila, without speaking gave him the job of finding something to drink.

"And is it worth clearing off the table?"Â?
Xeph 14 years ago
"This approach? You mean, physically remove you from blocking the path between your front door and the fridge? Oh, I'll definitely remember it," Xeph said with a broad grin.

The fact was, though, that he appreciated her efforts and her thoughtfulness. So before letting her actually assemble dinner, Xeph slid behind her, wrapped his arms around her waist, and hugged her tightly, resting his cheek against her head.
"Thanks, Nikhi," he said with a smile, using the nickname he'd saddled her with at the bowling alley the previous summer.

Pulling away and grabbing two glasses he opened the door to the fridge one more time and surveyed the contents within. He spared a moment to glance up at her and wrinkle his nose, answering her offer to sear his food with a shake of his head. She had probably already guessed as much anyway. While Xeph would occasionally suffer through lightly seared meals when in public, or with those outside the Pack, at home he refused to do so.

"Let's be lazy and eat in the living room. With a movie." The idea of curling up on the couch with her was appealing, and do it with a full stomach even moreso.

Balancing several containers at once in his big hands, as well as the two glasses, Xeph brought his whole pile of beverages to the ktichen counter and mixed up pineapple and orange juice with a splash of something red and carbonated. He sniffed carefully, took a sip, and decided it wasn't too bad. Replacing everything, he brought the two glasses out to the living room and went back to see if Nikhila needed help.
Nikhila 14 years ago
“Next time I will have a frying pan rather than a spatula.”

Still not as good as the two by four Lily had recommended but it would work.

As she started to put things together, nothing fancy he snuck up behind her. Well perhaps snuck wasn’t the right word. It was nice to have just ordinary time together, she appreciated him saying something but even more was happy he was making the time. So much so, she didn’t even elbow him for the nickname. Xeph could get away with it, any one else she would have to… educate.

“You’re welcome.”

Letting him mix something up, while half watching suspiciously she quickly tore up some greens for herself while her food cooked, flipped the proteins over picked the first non-intense movie she saw into the DVD came back to the kitchen and viola dinner a deux was completed; one raw one mostly cooked.

“Did I ever tell you I love how easy you are to cook for?”

She indicated the plate with everything raw and nothing green on it.

“Now… what did you do to my juice.”
Xeph 14 years ago
"Next time I'll be faster to the kitchen," Xeph countered as he helped straighten up, packing up uncooked food and storing it away, giving the counter a quick wipe-down.

He sneered at the greens on Nikhila's plate, making a face as she flipped her steak. Favoring her with another smile he said,
"Yeah but I'm not cheap," and took his plate from her.

As he settled himself on the couch and waited for her to come out, he looked at he movie she'd put in. Laughing, he turned around to question her. "The Incredibles?"

Shaking his head he popped a scallop into his mouth, savoring the tender juicy sweetness. As Nikhila gave her drink the hairy eyeball he called into the kitchen, "I made it extra interesting for you!"

When she made her way out he began working on his steak in earnest, making appropriate "yummy" noises. As they ate in companionable silence he stopped chewing long enough to say,
"I wish I had super powers."

And steadfastly ignored the look Nikhila gave him.
Nikhila 14 years ago
“I didn’t ask you to eat them did I?”

Nikhila rolled her eyes at him as he made a face at her cooked meat and greens, figuring it was the greens he was really suspicious of.

He wasn’t cheap was he?

“Just easy?”

Oh good lord is that what she put in? well it had been that, The Philadelphia Story or what ever she had home from Netflix and she was pretty sure she had a documentary from Netflix and that didn’t seem like appropriate dinner viewing, especially for down time.

“You can change it if you want but the story is quite good, well I thought it was.”

She called to him as she finished with her plate. She’d smack him upside the back of the head but he had helped with some of the clean up. Settling on the sofa next to him, she cautiously sniffed the drink. The color was terrible.

“I had something like this on a slide the other day.” Tasting it though she decided it was a success. “This tastes better though.”

Apparently, now that she was officially ‘here’ as in on the couch he could turn his attention in earnest to the food. So, all she really had to compete with was, the entire Pack and food… workable. Nikhila herself was happy enough to alternate her attention between the beef, seafood and veggies. Apparently, she had been more hungry than she realized.

She, however, paused with a scallop half way to her mouth to just stare at him for that comment. This was coming from a man who turned into a wolf three days out of every twenty eight.

“It’s the tights and cape isn’t it? That’s what you’re really after.”
Xeph 14 years ago
"Not at all," Xeph retorted at Nikhila's suggestion regarding superhero attire. "It's the underwear."

He didn't mind the movie one bit. What was really important was spending time with Nikhila, away from duty and obligation for a little while. Xeph wasn't exactly the romantic sort, but Nikhila knew that about him and didn't expect it. Oh he made his efforts, but he was pretty sure he met with varied success.

Tonight he wasn't even trying.

"I've always wanted to wear my underwear on the outside."
Nikhila 14 years ago
She did need to speak to him not quite as an Alpha and not quite as a lover something of a mix of both, her meeting with the lawyer was just odd. However, as she’d sent a report to both he and Lily it could wait, this was more important. Funny how something so ordinary as dinner and a movie could mean so much.

Of course, Aidan and his quips about underwear weren’t making for serious conversation any way. She actually appreciated that a great deal.

“All this time and I never knew that about you. I can’t believe you’d keep something like that from me or let convention stand between you and your dream.”

It was an excellent job of sounding both put out and regretful. Nikhila turned sad puppy dog eyes on him, retaliation for his earlier attempt, and looked quite mournful. At least she did for a moment or two then she turned her attention back to the stake.

“At least make sure to buy new ones should you decide to try this. By the by did you want to borrow a bra or maybe a nice cami to complete the ensemble?”
Xeph 14 years ago
Xeph made a face at Nikhila. "What's standing in my way of my dream isn't convention. It's my inability to leap buildings in a single bound and the fact that I can't fly."

Her next suggestion was met with a snort. "I said super hero, not cross-dresser."

His did spend a few moments ogling Nikhila's chest though, since she'd inadvertently drawn attention to it. "Besides, I don't think I can fill yours out. I'd have to stuff it with something."

He finished his dinner in record time and carried his plate into the kitchen, rinsing it in the sink and putting it into the dish washer. He might be lazy but he wasn't actually a slob.

Returning to the couch he made himself comfortable while Nikhila ate her own dinner at a more civilized pace.
Nikhila 14 years ago
“The inability to fly didn’t stop Batman. Try again.”

She couldn’t help but grin around a mouth full of veggies, it was hard to smile while chewing she noted.

Apparently, she should offer to lend him her underwear more often if this was the reaction she was going to get. Nikhila pretended not to notice the ogling, but it wasn’t a bad thing.

Only half way done with her own meal, she’d worry about clean up later, but it was nice that he made a bit of an effort. She smiled , a bit of a ‘cat that ate the canary’ grin as he settled back in on the sofa.

“Are you sure you want to fly? It’s not x-ray vision that your interested in?”
Xeph 14 years ago
Xeph grinned at the thought of it. "I could have my own utility belt," he mused. "I wouldn't mind that. I don't know that batman was a superhero though, so much as a well-connected vigilante. There's a difference."

Her x-ray vision suggestion was scoffed at.
"Why would I need that? There's only one person I'd want to x-ray view, and I'm pretty sure if I look desperate enough I'll see what I want to see eventually."

Wary of retaliation he gave her his most charming smile. "No I definitely want flight. Imagine the trouble I could cause. Water bombs, really elaborate trip-wires. The pranks would be endless. Hammer would never be able to walk through a doorway or an open field again, not without backup."
Nikhila 14 years ago
“He had a cape, tights and a secret identity. I vote that makes him a superhero.”

Of course, now she was going to have minor nightmares about Xeph, utility belts and baterangs. Nothing about that could possibly be good.

She was pleased by this answer about x-ray vision. Nikhila was fairly confidant that was indeed the case, at least since arriving in Nachton and making it clear she still had feelings for him, she was confidant. In return she boldly and speculatively eyed his legs, which in Nikhila’s opinion were quite good.

“So if I look desperate I get to see you in tights?”

She half choked over the last bite of her steak as he gave his reasons for wanting to fly, but managed to get it down. Dinner finished she cleaned up her own plate and returned to the couch.

“Or he might just discover what your kryptonite is and you’d be forced to hide in a led lined room.”
Xeph 14 years ago
Xeph scowled with mock ferociousness at Nikhila. "What is it with the women always wanting to see men in tights? I'm not sure any amount of desperation is going to make me put clothes on. Isn't that sort of counterproductive?"

As Nikhila returned from the kitchen, he reached for her as she sat and gathered her close and burying his face in the curve of her neck and shoulder. "Nope. I'll just hide here."

He sighed, held onto Nikhila, and tried to forget the fact that not two hours earlier he'd called two of his Packmates' families to inform them of their deaths. Some days it just wasn't worth getting out of bed.
Nikhila 14 years ago
“Women?!”

She growled slightly. OK so she was a touch possessive. There were worse things, and at least she was aware of it and could keep it under control.

Feeling that his mood had shifted somewhat from the playful to something more introspective, she didn’t push. Instead she shifted about so they were both comfortable holding each other and could see the movie if they chose. She softly ran her fingers through his hair.

“I think we could manage that. I’m not sure Hammer is as willing as you are to break down my door.”

She suspected he might need to talk, but wasn’t sure if he wanted to or not. For now, she would give him time. It would be simple enough to laps into an easy silence now and simply enjoy each other’s company.
Xeph 14 years ago
Xeph ignored Nikhila's minor outburst. Pointing out that she had left him in the lurch for upwards of twenty years would have been counterproductive and repetitive. They'd been down that road before and he wasn't about to further complicate their evening. She had a ilttle bit of a territorial streak, but he knew she trusted him when it came to the fact that he hadn't actually been with anyone since her.

"Hammer doesn't have nearly my motivation," he said. "Of course I would break down the door! There was steak in here!"

He rallied pretty well, he thought, though he was still expecting Nikhila to hit him with something.