Reviewing Our Progress

He quickly checked his calendar, yes Bao was correct there was only the one last interview tonight. This contractor was also the last of the staff he had to talk to and the one he was most interested in. She'd been rather hard to pin down, keeping rather erratic hours. Therefore, unlike the rest of the staff, whom he'd spoken to in casual interviews, for this one Bao had actually had to schedule an appointment.

He reviewed her file, her qualifications were impeccable better than one would expect in a temporary contract job like this. Her research and notes were impeccable. And despite this, or perhaps because of this, Bao had his own suspicious about her.

A polite knock on the door of the conference room he'd commandeered followed by a brief pause and a politely curious face peering around the door got his attention. He looked up and smiled, mindful of his teeth. He didn't want her running off, but there was no way he could completely conceal them.

"Ah good evening. You're a bit early but I've been expecting you, please sit down."Â?

Nikhila 14 years ago
Nikhila had known that the owner/investors of the lab were sending some one in to review everything and speak to the staff. It was quite understandable as there was precious little for any of the researchers to show for so much work. Still, she was taking advantage of her contractor status and setting her own hours hoping to avoid this scouts attention. It wasn’t as if she had anything to hide but her job was to remain discreet and undercover.

However, this lackey was both very through and very persistent. She’d finally had no choice but to agree to a meeting. To have declined or reschedule would have been suspicious. From what she’d heard from others he kept late hours, apparently, he had a number of dealing with Asia, but at least he’d picked a night after the full moon.

She was a bit early, not quite ten minutes. Pausing outside the door she once again went over everything she’d done in her head. Nothing was less than scientifically impeccable, nothing pointed to any kind of derailing or stalling efforts. It was probably just a standard check, perhaps they were even shutting the project down. That would be a relief.

Before settling herself in the indicated chair, she offered her hand and a polite smile.

“Mr. Hoang I presume. A pleasure to meet you. How may I assist you?”
Bao 14 years ago
Tall, slender, not unattractive that was his first impression of her. In fact, Bao was forced to admit she was quite lovely. Not something he would have expected. Under different circumstances, he would have considered her a prime target for hunting. Perhaps if his suspicious proved false he still would, patience was not something that Bao lacked. Obviously Indian, something he’d expected from her name, her words were softly and pleasingly accented. She was also both polite and business like able to cut right to the chase without being rude. Both qualities in her favor. But now he was digressing.

“Dr. Gounder? You are a bit hard to track down.”

He smiled, but it didn’t reach his eyes. To be frank Bao was considering being annoyed she had been so difficult to catch. But she was prompt so he softened his opinion slightly.

“As I’m sure you know the investors in this project have sent me to make a review of both project itself and its staff. Pending my feedback there may or may not be a more through audit, adjustment to the budget, staffing changes etcetera.”

He stopped there. That wording had a tendency to make people uneasy and that was his plan. An uneasy subject was more likely to say something they shouldn’t.
Nikhila 14 years ago
Sitting down she quickly took in the man across from her. Impeccably dressed, so much, so it made her slightly conscious of her lab coat and plain cloths, perhaps she should have dressed up for this meeting? Korean or Vietnamese she decided, she spoke neither language but in this day and age, it was possible that neither did he. Between his dress and the fact that he was immediately, trying to unsettle her she also concluded he was a lawyer. It was written all over him. That would temper her reactions a bit.

“I do apologize but the need for flexible hours was one of the reasons I opted for a contract position rather than regular employment.”

That and she had another full time job, one that in fact she much preferred to this place.

She wanted to take a deep breath and settle herself but he seemed to be making note of every little gesture and she didn’t want to give any sense of tension or worry. So, Nikhila simply refused to be rattled by his obvious ploy. Let him survive a few decades in academia rather than a courtroom and they’d see who came out alive.

“Perfectly understandable in this economy especially given our rather slow progress.”
Bao 14 years ago
“I wouldn’t have thought hours were much of a concern for the dean of the Stafford Academy.”

Bao countered.

She was unexpectedly cool. Most of the humans he’d tried this tact with had been notably rattled and practically falling over themselves to help him and prove their worth. It was one of the few advantages of a soft economy, people desperate to keep their jobs. She’d hardly batted an eye. Was she a were or was she a human with ties to them? Either way she needed to be put in her place. This, however, was neither the time or the place.

“I’m glad we agree. Now shall we go over some of your logs? I see where you have parted from both plan and schedule in several areas with little result. Could you explain why?”
Nikhila 14 years ago
While she didn’t advertise that fact, it wasn’t hard for people to find out she was the dean of the academy. Still no one else at the lab had commented on it in all the time she’d worked her although she thought a few, a very few, of them knew. The fact that that this lawyer had take the time to find out though made her mentally raise an eyebrow, she’d have to raise her game accordingly.

“It can be difficult to fit in many side projects given the demands of my position.”

This she had expected. Nikhila only smiled calmly and coolly at the man across from her.

“I’m certain you can appreciate research doesn’t always adhere strictly to a corporate agenda. I did see some potential in these areas and felt they could ultimately provide a means to an end. I can be more specific if you’d like.”

He nodded coldly, something about that simple gesture was chilling. Nikhila felt for a moment like she was being hunted. But the moment passed quickly and she checked the area of her reports he seemed to be indicating.

Returning the nod Nikhila proceeded to launch into a detailed scientific explanation of what she had done and why. She was deliberately being detailed and kept things at a very high level. She was also very consciously using phrases along the line of ‘as I’m sure you know’ and ‘undoubtedly you see’. She wanted to get him out side of his comfort zone and try and gain some momentum in this meeting.

“I hope that clarified my thought process. And you can also see that while it did set us back it was a nominal amount of time.”

Finished with her explanation she just regarded him evenly. Everything she had said was both true and scientifically sound. However, it was also probably well over his head.
Bao 14 years ago
Bao listened to her explanation and only understood about a third of what she’d said. He admitted a grudging respect for this woman, in her own arena she was clearly more than formidable. He could feel the balance, the power of the meeting shifting to her.

When she finished he found he very much wanted to smile at her. In such a way that he would expose his fangs, but that wouldn’t be appropriate. Instead he let simply didn’t speak for several seconds letting the silence build up hoping it would intimidate her. It didn’t.

“Yes, quite. Thank you.”

Again he played to the silence this time Bao added the shuffling of papers. Finally he muttered to himself, apparently to himself ‘Ah yes here it is.’

“I do appreciate your ingenuity, however, while your team and personal set backs may have been minor I’m certain you can under stand our concerns. You’ve monopolized resources and lab time and these side ventures have been rather expensive.”
Nikhila 14 years ago
Absolutely no reaction, well very little. And then he made no comment, only changed the subject. Bao had employed a tactic she’d seen and dealt with numerous times before but it was one she loathed. Nikhila briefly fantasized about biting him.

“That would be a concern of the investors. I can respect that. However, all of my experiments have been ethical, through and within protocols. Any qualified scientist would tell you the same. In fact, I’m sure you or some one else has already asked for a second opinion of my work and they have told you just that.”

This was not just a friendly review. That was abundantly clear at this point. But Nikhila wasn’t certain what his goal was. It could be as simple as trying to get her to vacate the position. But she was a contractor, and her contract had been written so that it was abundantly clear her services could be terminated at any time with or with out cause.
Bao 14 years ago
Good, very good. Bao was momentarily impressed that she had already presumed he’d had some one else review and validate her work. That combined with the use of the word ethical made him think she was very likely not only aware of what their research would ultimately accomplish but that she was also stalling and swaying his lead researcher.

“They do happen to agree with you on every point, at least as far as your research is concerned. There does seem to be some disagreement as to whether or not your diversions needed to be explored. That, however, is a bit harder to say apparently.”

Oddly pleased to have a worthy opponent he wondered what the best tactic to neutralize her would be. Or even if he should. Knowing who she was and where she was, if not being 100% sure what she was doing could be an advantage.

“I’m not sure what to tell you at this point Dr. Gounder. It is possible we’ll be forced to more closely monitor your work and approve all future experiments.”

Bao was looking for weakness. There had to be some kind of vanity in a woman of her academic standing. That could be exploited. It was a slightly risky card to play though as she may decide that continuing her wasn’t worth it, but it was also possible she was here under orders.
Nikhila 14 years ago
Did he just say that? On the one hand, Nikhila was grateful for a lifetime of remaining calm and cool and thinking before she spoke. On the other hand, she again wanted to bite him, and not a subtle bite either. –No one- had over seen her work in such a manner since she was an undergrad. The papers she had published had always gotten high praise.

It was that lifetime of thinking before she spoke that saved her now. She realized he was trying to get her to tip her hand, to show some kind of negative reaction, to protest. Nikhila forced herself to remain detached and not give him either that satisfaction or that edge.

“I don’t believe you have that authority Mr. Hoang. If, however, you must feel the need to make that recommendation to the project directors that is your decision. I know how important covering one’s self can be to a man in your position.”

Nearly perfect, she really hadn’t meant to give him that last bit. However, it was better than calling him out for covering his ass. At least her voice hadn’t once during this whole meeting wavered from its polite and professional tone.

“Of course the matter of how much lee way I’m given will dictate how valuable I am to the project as well. I’m sure you can understand that.”

Still uncertain of what he wanted and feeling that he would probably dismiss her soon Nikhila started paying some attention to the spirits and energies that were around him. Perhaps they would give her some clue. There were a lot. That surprised her. What’s more, they were not friendly animosity and fear seemed to be chief among them. That was disturbing.
Bao 14 years ago
Bao was both amused and offended when she’d tossed his words back at him. It was well done, insinuating he was a mindless lackey. She was a confidant thing wasn’t she? A pity she was involved with them, she might have been an asset to the Clan. Ah well one couldn’t have everything could they?

It was clear that the good doctor considered the meeting over and no longer wished to speak with him. Bao was tempted to stretch things out longer just to annoy her and see how she’d handle it.

“Understandable doctor, but of course your ability to produce will also determine the budget you and your work is allowed.”

He sat back, trying to decide whether or not to terminate the meeting. He could keep her on the hook a bit longer but decided not to push too far, although he did want to end on his terms.

“Thank you for meeting with me this evening doctor. I’m certain you’ll be available should we have more questions.”

Bao let her nod and gather herself to leave before throwing something after her, one last barb.

“Of course I’ll also need you to make your private notes available to us at this point. That shouldn’t be a problem should it?”
Nikhila 14 years ago
She was done with this ridiculous meeting and ready to walk out. Fortunately, he seemed to be on the same page.

"Yes of course that is understandable."Â?

The idea of meeting with him again made her want to growl. Nikhila, was furious, one couldn't tell by looking at her or speaking to her but she was seething. She wanted nothing more than to go back to the den and hunt something. Anything to get her mind off this and let her refocus.

"Of course."Â?

She'd nodded and was half way to the door when he sent something after her. It gave Nikhila a small thrill to know she'd beaten him on something. He'd obviously not read her contract. She'd refused to sign the standard one and had something special written up for her. The project manager, eager to have her hadn't disputed it.

"Actually Mr. Hoang, that is a problem. I'd ask you to check the terms of my contract. This company is not entitled to any of my private papers or work. Have a pleasant evening."Â?

Nikhila let her self out. She was too cross to even think about working and decided to go home. She'd run and then write up a formal report for Xeph and Lily. Meetings like this made Nikhila question which side of her was less civilized the woman or the wolf.

((OOC Nikhila out))
Bao 14 years ago
Bao watched her leave the conference room as calmly and coolly as she’d entered. Even having the last word, she hadn’t flaunted her victory or celebrated. But if what she said about her contract was true he’d tear the throat out of the idiot intern that wrote it and probably out of the director who had over looked the contract in order to get that doctor’s name in the annual report.

Bao was furious. However as he straightened up to leave he reasoned, at least he had her for a while. She couldn’t just run and even if she did, they could track her. And he now knew she was the source of their problems. That made up for quite a bit.

Calm, but thirsty, Bao started for his office down town. He had a full evening still.

((OOC… Bao out)