Item One

The sun hadn't fully set yet so leaving the manor was impossible. However, it would be full dark soon, this left Bao with just enough time to finish compiling his night's agenda.

He'd been working in the dinning room for several hours, he was no longer bothered by the absurdity of a formal dining room in a haven for his kind. Not as he had been when he was younger, he understood the value of keeping up appearance. He'd chosen to work here rather than his rooms or the library as it was quiet and near the kitchen which allowed one of the servants to keep him supplied with Turkish coffee while his laptop allowed him to connect with the outside world.

There was only one person on his agenda that wasn't scheduled down to the second and yet everything was scheduled around him. Still patience was a virtue, no matter how old one was so he would work, and wait. Although as twilight grew darker he did ask for another cup of coffee to be ready, one should never be rude or inconsiderate if it could be helped.

Amir 14 years ago
Amir hadn't arranged to meet Bao at a particular time, but it didn't surprise him to find the man already waiting. How long he'd been there, Amir had no idea. Nor did he particularly care if he'd kept him. There was nothing as important as the task they had been set.

He slid into the dining room, pausing for a moment to admire Bao's elegant hands as they danced over the laptop keys. The man possessed an extraordinary grace for one so stoutly built, but his hands - they were exquisite. He'd made an excellent acquisition with that one. Oh, certainly, there had been others. Some more graceful, definitely more beautiful. But Bao was special. Bao remained close, Amir might almost say attached. Why, he wasn't entirely sure. He knew, though, that this particular child of his was loyal without question and that knowledge satisfied him.

Clearing his throat to let Bao know he was there, Amir strode across the space between the doorway and the table, toward the seat with a second cup of coffee waiting. It was still steaming, and it was prepared exactly the way he liked it. Amir didn't bat an eyelash; he expected nothing less of the humans who ran Heolfor.

"So, enjoying Nachton this time around?" Amir's voice was silky, melodious. He turned the chair around and sat in it backwards, legs to either side, leaning over the back to help himself to the coffee mug. He knew exactly what kind of sight they made; they could have been father and son when viewed from a distance. Bao was impeccably dressed as always, and Amir was wearing what could only have been described as "teenager clothes," a pair of distressed jeans, ridiculously expensive sneakers, and a grey Nachton U hoodie over a t-shirt.

What an irony.
Bao 14 years ago
He’d been both expecting and not expecting his maker so he wasn’t surprised at Amir’s arrival. Letting Amir settle in Bao mused for a second that in some ways they had an odd relationship. Some time he felt as if this man were his son, in appearance it would have been remotely possible. However, it was clearly the other way around and he who was the child. There was never any doubt on that point. Bao only rarely challenged what Amir dictated and when he did there was always good reason and it was always done with respect.

Enjoying the sound of his maker’s voice he quietly, discreetly finished what he was doing and set the laptop aside.

“To date it has been all business. I, however, fully anticipate enjoying myself. I am given to understand there are many options.”

This time he would be staying longer, there was considerably more to do and he looked forward to a great deal of it.

“I suspect you have already found something to entertain you.”

He didn’t question what that might be, it wasn’t his place. Bao only waited if Amir wished to tell him, he would. If not the could proceed from there.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir laughed softly. "All work and no play, isn't that how it goes? Make sure you sample everything the city has to offer. It would be a shame to miss out."

He nodded at the younger vampire, bared his teeth in a smile.
"I've found several somethings, and more than a few someones."

Amir was quite the avid drinker. he enjoyed the hunt, the chase, the catch, and his body demanded he do so on a nearly nightly basis. The resistance, and then the sweet acquiescence... he sighed. He might have to go back out when they were through here.

Business first though, before pleasure.
"They're here," he said without preamble. "I've been doing a little night time searching, and they're everywhere. Their stink is everywhere."

He shook his head. "If we do this properly though, they won't know what hit them. None of them will."

That thought, too, made him smile. What they'd been tasked with was no less than starting flat-out warfare. A war that would take its toll on the weres, and possibly drive the independent notions out of his fellow vampires' heads, leave them begging to be accepted once more into their mother Clan.

Some would die, of course, but there were acceptable losses in any battle. For the greater good, Amir was ready to do what had to be done.
Bao 14 years ago
“I have scheduled a bit of an outing tomorrow in fact.”

Bao only grinned at Amir’s less than subtle hints. He hadn’t for a moment thought Amir had been depriving himself, still it was oddly reassuring to hear him confirm that.

He nodded in agreement, they were here and this was undoubtedly the best opportunity they’d had in years, possibly centuries, to fix the were problem and reunite the clan. What there was worth saving that was, it would never do to be too rash on that point.

The research had been done by a number of people, but Bao was the one who kept it organized and insured Amir had all the information. His only source of frustration was that one of the side projects had been failing, it had been failing in various forms for over a hundred years, but recently with more flare than usual. Progress had virtually ground to a halt with the exception of one rogue researcher, who was being well paid to keep up his unorthodox experiments.

This of course, the older vampire knew. However as there was nothing to connect them to the experiments it was deemed an acceptable risk.

“The price of complacency and ignorance has always been steep.”

And there was a certain poetic justice to it all that appealed to him.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir nodded silently as Bao spoke. He was proud of this particular offspring of his. Amir had created several more and had summoned many of them to Nachton as well, but Bao had always been a favorite. They had a good deal in common and they worked well together.

Bao's next words, though, had him leaning forward in his chair, his features twisting harshly for a few moments before he schooled them back into neutrality.

"Don't make that mistake," he said roughly. "Complacent sometimes, perhaps. Ignorant for now, maybe. But they are dangerous and we need to handle this job with care."

He steepled his fingers on the chair-back, just under his chin, eyeing Bao speculatively. "Don't fall into your own trap, Bao. Overconfidence can be a bitch."
Bao 14 years ago
“No, of course not Cha.”

Bao may have missed one blink at Amir’s slightly aggressive statement and stance, but he was also somewhat used to his father’s adamant behavior. He was himself guilty of similar harshness from time to time, especially in their cause, and saw nothing wrong with it.

“Confidence is necessary but not to the point of laxity. I understand.”

They couldn’t afford to under estimate either the weres or the other ‘clans’. He always sneered at the idea that there should be ‘clans’ there was one clan, one family and two errors.

Despite the potential for criticism he didn’t appear ruffled in the slightest, no matter that he valued Amir’s good opinion more than most things. Bao’s voice was even still calm and cool.

“I have not failed you before and have no intention of starting now.”

He would review everything three times from multiple angles as a matter of course and more if the situation warranted it. That was simply how Bao worked.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir continued to watch Bao, but he saw nothing in the younger man to alarm him. And Bao's subtle reminder was correct; he never had failed in any task Amir had given him. There had been many, over the years. Amir's respect was not easily won.

He gave one short nod, and then let his voice fall back into its usual melodious patterns.

"Your researcher... how does he fare?"

Amir and Bao had put these wheels in motion centuries ago, but this part Bao ran on his own with only intermittent questioning and curiosity. Neither of them expected much if anything to come of it, but it kept the right eyes looking away from them at all the right times, and that was priceless. So it continued.
Bao 14 years ago
Bao relaxed almost imperceptibly when Amir let the idea drop. It would take another vampire and probably one who had known him for hundreds of years to see the few tiny little signs of relaxation.

“He is well, the most promising we’ve had in years.”

He paused momentarily, one long finger thoughtfully tapping on his coffee cup.

“Of late, however, his progress has slowed. He seems to have hit a road block, although his progress reports also seem to carry hints of a moral dilemma as well.”

It was the moral issues that bothered Bao the most, and that was part of the reason he’d arrived in Nachton a few weeks earlier than originally planned. He was making a closer survey of this man’s work.

“I will be checking in on the lab in general next week, looking after our investors after all.”
Amir 14 years ago
Amir nodded, satisfied with what Bao was telling him until the question of morals arose.

"What dilemma is this?" he demanded, his voice still as silky as if encased in velvet. "Must we remind how dependent he is upon others' charity?" Like most scientific researchers, theirs was heavily reliant upon grants and donations. Amir didn't make it a point to know every detail about this particular scientist, but Bao had told him that many of the man's studies ran along lines of questionable morality. "This is hardly an opportune time for him to grow a conscience."

Yes, this area was normally Bao's. But if circumstances warranted it, Amir wasn't opposed to stepping in and providing any necessary motivation. He shook his head though, more at himself than anything else. Let Bao handle it. He was capable, after all. Amir had bigger fish to fry, as it were.

"Let me know if we need to take stronger measures. In the meantime, you know what to do regarding them." He said the word with distaste. "They're falling into line nicely, and if we can poise them just on the edge, I think we have the leverage we need to tip them over."

He grinned his horrifying, twisted grin for one brief second before schooling his features back into normalcy.
Bao 14 years ago
“I’m not certain what the dilemma is. He certainly didn’t seem to possess an abundance of ethics when he was contracted.”

Bao wasn’t terribly worried. In his experience with these scientists, morality was often a result of either lack of progress or lack of funds. The funds he could quickly rectify the progress, that would have to be more delicately handled, but it could be done. He would just keep his scheduled appointment to review the lab and its progress and sort out what the problem was. Then and only they would he work on correcting it.

“I’d rather not lose him if we can help it. The lost would set us back.”

He was less concerned about the man’s life than about the schedule.

There was a certain amount of pleasure watching Amir ‘taste’ his goal, their goal. How long had they waited for this? Bao allowed himself one fangy grin in response.
Amir 14 years ago
Amir simply lifted his shoulder at Bao. In the scheme of things Bao's researcher was insignificant. Even his unorthodox research was minor, when inserted into the bigger picture.

"I'll leave you to handle him then," he stated with a nod. "You know where to push."

There wasn't much more to say; deeper discussions regarding goals, plans, strategies, had taken place years and years ago. Now that they were here, they were in the thick of it. Amir had confidence in Bao, had confidence in all of the rest of his brothers, sisters, and children who were coming to his call.

Draining his coffee mug in a few short swallows, he pushed himself away from his position leaning against the chair back and fixed his intense eyes on Bao.
"Don't forget to enjoy Nachton while you're here. To it's fullest."

He let the words come forth with a smile; Bao would understand his meaning exactly. Nachton was a large city, a playground for their kind. He let the reminder drop once more, his implications clear as they'd been when he'd first found Bao sitting here.
Bao 14 years ago
Bao nodded. He knew his project wasn’t the be all end all of their goals but he still held hope that it would yield beneficial results. If they could find the final break through it would have truly great rewards.

His timetable didn’t call for leaving the manor just yet, but Amir was right they had covered as much as they could hope to tonight. He signaled for another cup of coffee.

“All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.”

And causes Jack to miss opportunities and overlook possible nuances. Of course, when you considered that Bao more often than not scheduled and planed even his ‘play time’…

“I will keep you apprised and of course you are always able to contact me.”
Amir 14 years ago
Amir smiled his silky smile as Bao finished the quote he had begun when he'd first walked in. There was nothing like having dependable family around, and Bao shared his every single compulsive trait. Chip off the old block, huh.

He reached out, grabbed Bao's chin, and gave it the tiniest, firmest little shake.

"That's my boy."

With that he rose, straightened his chair with precision, and left with his hands in his pockets.

((ooc: Amir out))