Stuck

"God damned it!"Â?

Drew swore as he tried -again- to start his truck. The thing was old and beat up but it was, well up until now it had been, reliable. More to the point it had been in his budget that was to say cheap.

Muttering he took a look at where he was, not too far from the library but headed back through some residential streets. It was a short cut he'd found a few weeks ago. At least it seemed shorter to him. Some times it was hard to tell. Maybe he should pay attention to the odometer more as his short cuts often became long cuts.

Tossing himself out of the truck he slammed the door and found it satisfying. So he tossed the hood open too. It was hot, it didn't seem hot enough for it to be over heating but it was warm enough to notice. With his head and shoulders now under the hood he started to poke around to see what was wrong and also started talking himself through the process.

Marie 15 years ago
Research papers sucked. Marie would much rather be at home with the horses, but Ysabelle was very firm about her grades so she’d stopped at the library for a few hours to try and get a bit a head of things. Maybe her vampire could help her out a bit with this paper, it was about the Renaissance. Of course it would be very hard to cite something like that.

But now she was ready to catch a bus home. Marie didn’t like the bus stop right outside the library there were too many people there so she had a habit of walking a few more blocks and waiting at a less crowded stop. It just made her less nervous with all those strange men about, or potentially about. She was about half way to her stop when she saw him. Maybe heard was more accurate, he was mumbling to the truck. Without even thinking about it Marie left the side walk and cut through a yard, keeping herself outside of arms reach and kept her head down as she hurried on.
Drew 15 years ago
Hmmm this was more of a problem that he thought at first. Shouldn’t be too bad though but he needed a couple of tools. Standing up straight he stretched before going for his tool box. As he raised his arms over his head Drew noticed the girl. Young, but pretty, he thought. Maybe she’d have a cell and he could call for a tow? Sure he could fix it but the tow would be easier, if he could afford it.

“Hi there.”

He gave her his best charming, embarrassed, non-treating and slightly pathetic smile.
Marie 15 years ago
Marie frowned, she didn’t like that she’d been noticed. Her first instinct was to just keep walking and pretend she hadn’t heard. But she glanced over at him He had a great smile, it was different from most guys his age. Slowly she stopped and looked back at him. It was odd she had stopped and Marie was a bit surprised by her own actions but she still kept herself with a fair bit of distance between them.

“Car trouble?”

OK so it was an obvious question. She wasn’t trying to be friendly but she wasn’t trying to be rude so it was kind of a start.
Drew 15 years ago
“Yup she just stalled out on me.”

He took a step or two towards the girl and was slightly puzzled when she took a step back. OK he wasn’t the world’s biggest ladies man but that wasn’t a reaction he’d –ever- encountered. Hell even on the rez where his whole family was viewed with suspicion the girls never tried to get away from him. But he was sensitive to the movement and didn’t make any move to get closer.

“I think I can get her started up again but I was hoping maybe you had a phone I could borrow. Call for some back up.”

The smile he offered typically got him anything he wanted. Hey, if you had a gift you should use it.
Marie 15 years ago
Marie hadn’t even realized she’d backed away as he’d approached. It was such a natural reaction for her, to keep an unknown, especially a man, at a distance. Even having lived with the vampires for as long as she had she was still occasionally leery of Ambrose. Not often and not very, but occasionally she just didn’t understand him. However, has he’d driven off that… thing that attached her she gave him the benefit of the doubt. That and her vampire trusted him. But very few men were going to make that kind of impression.

She relaxed when this young man didn’t press and just stopped. He had the good sense not to say anything too. With out meaning too she smiled at him, a bit apologetically.

“No, I’m sorry I don’t.”

Well she did, but she didn’t use it much and she certainly wasn’t going to give up her only means of calling for help to a stranger. His smile was so engaging though, he almost looked harmless; Marie found herself offering him an option.

“They have a pay phone in the library though.”
Drew 15 years ago
Ah well. Drew shrugged. It didn’t matter. He probably couldn’t have afforded the tow anyhow. Good thing he was a bit handy with cars, at least he knew a few tricks to get the older ones running again at least for a few miles. Thank god for growing up needing to be resourceful.

“Nah, I’ve never been keen on pay phones and who ever I called would probably gouge me anyway. I think I’ll just take a look and see if I can’ get her started again. Thanks though.”

He fully expected the girl to leave and so went about the business of pulling out his toolbox, he’d had his sisters send it out to him, and popping the hood and seeing what was going on. Trucks didn’t just stall out for no reason, if he was lucky though it was a little thing.
Marie 15 years ago
She should be on her way. There was nothing more to say here, no reason to stick around and really, Marie was happy enough to be left alone by the boy. But he’d been almost friendly and he was sort of…. Well… sort of cute.

Marie backed off the sidewalk and leaned against a tree just watching him. Maybe she had been selfish in not offering her phone. He didn’t –seem- dangerous and it was bright daylight on a moderately traveled street and she was still in sight of the library.

But Ysabelle was probably up now, she usually was awake by the time Marie got home from school. And she did have questions about that paper she was writing. Still, what could five minutes hurt?
Drew 15 years ago
OK the light under the hood was on, and the light in the cab too so Drew quickly ruled out battery. Had she over heated? It wasn’t that hot out but if there was no fluid in the radiator and he hadn’t thought to check that, of course you couldn’t just open a hot radiator either. He could check the temperature gage on the dash though, he should have done that first.

Sliding out from under the hood and walking toward the cab, he saw the girl hadn’t gone. She was just standing there looking a little confused. He grinned at her.

“You lost?”

He asked as he slid back in the cab. Huh everything looked normal. OK what else could he check? Preferably something quick, easy and cheap.
Marie 15 years ago
“Lost? No.”

Marie blushed slightly she hadn’t thought what she’d do if he actually noticed her, paid attention to her. She still wasn’t sure she wanted him to pay attention to her. She should get going. But she didn’t move.

“I thought… maybe…”

She spoke very hesitantly, shyly not sure of herself or why she was doing this.

“You might need some help.”
Drew 15 years ago
Drew had disappeared under the hood again but stuck his head out when she almost offered to help. That little bit of a blush was cute. The girl was way too young but she’d probably turn out to be a beauty in a few years. He ducked back under the hood but spoke to her, careful to raise his voice so she could hear.

“You know much about fixing cars?”
Marie 15 years ago
It was better when he didn’t look at her, she was much more comfortable that way. She wondered what he was looking for. At his question she nervously shifted her backpack from one shoulder to the other, checking to make sure she had an escape route. She did, so Marie relaxed a little bit.

“I’m better with horses than with cars but,”

She swallowed hard before continuing. She didn’t like to speak of her family to anyone, not even her vampire,

“I used to help my father and my uncle a little.”

Marie knew which tool to hand them when they asked for it, beyond that she was a bit hopeless. Not liking his attention focused on her Marie quickly found a question to ask him.

“What tribe are you from?”

For all she was shy and confused, even a little frightened she was not unobservant and recognized his features as being Native American. Part of her also hoped he’d be offended that she’d asked and it would give her an excuse to leave.
Drew 15 years ago
“Horses huh?”

Drew muttered a bit distracted as he continued to poke around under the hood. He was more than a little frustrated with this sudden stall and not at his most charming. Why was it that ever girl in the world had something to do with horses at some point in their life? Usually about her age too, maybe a little younger.

“If nothing else I wouldn’t mind the company.”

Sharp little thing. Drew cocked his head and looked more appraisingly at the girl. He wouldn’t have expected that question from her. People either weren’t sure he was an Indian or they didn’t comment on it. Some sort of ‘polite’ thing he always figured. He grinned at the question.

“I’m a Navajo. Even grew up on a reservation out west. I suppose we’re up to introductions then. I’m Drew.”

Ducking out from under the hood he offered the girl a slightly greasy hand.
Marie 15 years ago
Marie looked down at the ground when he actually answered the question. She shouldn't have asked. It was rude. But he hadn't gotten snippy about it, she really had been hoping he would.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have said anything. I mean I don't like it when people expect me to throw down a hat and dance around it at any second."Â?

Navajo and out west made her nervous. Maybe her uncle had sent this boy out to find her. Marie absently started twisting a lock of hair around her index finger. Maybe she should just go, or she could lie.

What could a first name hurt though? He couldn't tell a lot from that. Besides her vampire and her vampire's vampire would be able to keep her safe. She waved hesitantly at Drew instead of taking his hand.

"I'm Marie."Â?
Drew 15 years ago
Drew had to laugh at her hat dance quip. He really hadn’t minded the question but it was nice of her, sort of sweet, that she’d get slightly flustered about it.

“Tell ya what I don’t won’t ask you about salsa and bull fighting if you don’t ask me about rain dances and if we really do say ‘how’.”

Still a little somewhere between impressed and perplexed that she’d known to ask about his tribe, Drew was tempted to ask the girl where she was from. He doubted it was around here. But she was so… closed off he didn’t dare. She reminded him of the rabbits he’d see out hunting, they’d stay there not moving just watching almost debating the next course of action.

He didn’t like that she wouldn’t take his hand, it wasn’t that dirty. Hoping that was it he snagged a rag out of the beat up old tool box wiped his hand off and tried again.

“I promise I don’t bite.”

He did his best to look completely harmless, even endearing. It was a point of pride with him that he be trusted and getting this rabbit to do so was going to be a challenge.
Marie 15 years ago
Marie’s eyes flashed for just a second. This boy had not business implying she was afraid of him. She wasn’t. she wasn’t afraid of anything. At least that’s what she told herself repeatedly. But she knew that Ysabelle at least knew that things bothered her, men, among other things, made her nervous.

Her temper cooled off a bit when she realized he was giving her an out, well mostly. He didn’t have to wipe his hand off, but she could use that. Taking a deep breath, he took the offered hand. He had a firm grip, but he didn’t hold on too long or try to pull her to him.

“New pants.”

That was mostly true. Most of her cloths were still pretty new, and she hoped he’d believe that. She didn’t know if he believed it or not but he seemed to accept the explanation as he turned back to his truck.

“Were you on your way home from school?”

Marie couldn’t place him as high school or college but he looked about that age.