Need and Want Are Two Different Things (attn: Ambrose)

Ysabel sat quietly, her hands folded, looking down at the pretty falls of silk that made up her gown. The ride home had been uneventful yet thrilling; she hadn't actually known a truck could make turns on two wheels. She congratulated herself on having kept calm for the entire ride.

The air in the cabin of the truck was almost palpable with tension. She didn't have to look at Ambrose's face to know that beneath his unwanted facial hair he was seething with anger. Ysabel herself was inclined to take their problems a day at a time, but Ambrose - well, she had a feeling he preferred to shoot something.

Or someone.

Ysabel wasn't going to waste words trying to placate him, so she simply sat there and endured the ride, unwilling to openly admit her relief when it was through and they were pulling up in their driveway once more.

They'd chosen to sit at the back of the classroom that served as the meeting place for their "orientation," an introduction to Marie's school, her homeroom teacher, and guidance counselor. It was easier for Ysabel; otherwise she feared her attire would draw too much attention and she didn't want to detract from the point of the meeting. A smile from the teacher had seemed to acknowledge that courtesy. Ysabel had listened carefully to the speech, nodding her head at each point made about the importance of education and what Nachton Northwest High provided in the way of such. Maybe they looked a little odd compared to everyone else there, but they were just parents like everyone else there.

How had their evening gone so horribly wrong?

Ambrose 15 years ago
God damned son of a bitch! Ambrose really couldn’t remember when he’d been so pissed off; he must have been at one point or another though. Not that it mattered right now.

A muscle in his jaw flexed and un-flexed as he drove them back, and he was damned lucky they didn’t get pulled over. They probably should have, but then he would have shot the cop and, while satisfying, that would be hard to cover up and or explain. Screeching into the driveway he slammed his door closed with some force, opened Belle’s for her, helped her out and slammed that door. He also opened the front door let Belle in and slammed that too. While loud, al this slamming was not making him feel better.

He had been trying to suffer with grace; he hadn’t done more than frown at one yuppie who knocked his cane down as he charged to the front of the room. Apparently the ‘teacher’s pet’ thing applied to parents too. All Ambrose really remembered was that things were damned boring, dull in the extreme. Syllabus blah blah blah, attendance, blah blah blah; but he didn’t fall asleep he even looked like he was paying attention. When the home room teacher finally shut up and the other parents looked like they were dispersing to go to the other periods and see what happened there the councilor had caught their eye and asked if they’d wait for just a second. He still wasn’t sure what he thought the councilor had to say, the waif wasn’t that much trouble after all.

Storming off to the bathroom to shave he called back to Belle as he hurled his cane across the room.

“I should have brought the gun!”
Ysabel 15 years ago
Ysabel winced as they ground to a halt in the driveway, making a mental note to replace asphalt with gravel to avoid that noise in the future. She couldn't help but note with gratitude that while Ambrose was slamming everything in sight that was slammable, he was being quite gentle with her. Not that she'd ever thought he had an abusive bone in his body. Maybe she should be recording his reaction?

Not really knowing how to counter his retroactive desire for his firearm she fell back on old habit, walking to the bathroom door, peering cautiously around the doorframe, and saying,
"Ambrose - I'm so sorry. I never even had a clue about what was going on." Reflexes vampire-fast, she caught his cane as it went flying across the room and settled it with a thought against the bed before it could do any damage.

They had been "dismissed" after listening to their orientation, supposedly to go visit some of Marie's other teachers. The counselor, however, had waved them over and asked to have a word with them. Ysabel had half-expected that to happen; they looked unusual and Marie was clearly not their natural child.
She wasn't worried about their documents though. If the counselor looked into it, everything would pass inspection.

She hadn't anticipated being called in for a counseling session. How could she have known? Marie's grades were good. She did all of her homework and then some, as she was still studying languages with Ysabel in the evenings, too. It was the look on the counselor's face that really should have tipped her off.

Glancing at Ambrose, she offered him a small smile. "It's no so bad," she tried. "They have to ask those kinds of questions, don't they? For everyone involved?"

It had left her with a dirty feeling as well. She desperately wanted to shower.
Ambrose 15 years ago
“I’m not mad at you and you know it. So what hell are you apologizing for!”

He half shouted while rummaging for something to trim his mustache with so he could shave it properly. Perhaps rummaging wasn’t the right word as he was jerking things open and slamming them shut with some force. At least he was consistent. He just couldn’t bring himself to calm down.

Finding what he was looking for he hacked violently at the facial hair not caring if he cut his lip off in the process. It would look odd for a bit but it would grow back. He’d like to cut the lip of the worm of a councilor.

From the look on the toad’s face he’d known something was going through his mind but he hadn’t been able to tell what. He’d recognized tension and a little bit of fear but the disgust had thrown him. The man didn’t know either Belle or himself well enough to start out with that reaction. Ambrose had been prepared to defend Belle, her cloths, her age, any thing they could throw at her; he hadn’t been ready to be the object of scrutiny.

Doing his best to be pleasant he let the little man work up to his point with general small talk about the school and the waif and how she’d come to live with them. He hadn’t been worried and it didn’t appear Belle was either. They’d put together a good story and had what they needed to back it up. The questions, however, had taken a turn he hadn’t expected and sure has hell didn’t appreciate.

Making eye contact in the mirror with Belle while shaving cream sat on his upper lip he glowered. Even the silly looking white foam couldn’t tone down the darkness of his expression.

“Like hell they do! What the fuck? I’m supposed to let this school look over our shoulders and question us because she’s a little shy? We’re just supposed to take this.”
Ysabel 15 years ago
Ysabel deftly caught things with her mind and replaced them as the force of Ambrose's temper and subsequent drawer-slamming knocked them off the shelves. She righted a few pictures on the walls as well, tilting her head to look at him with regret.

"I should have guessed something like that would happen. I haven't confronted Marie about her past, about her uncle."

She and Ambrose had sat there like chastened schoolchildren themselves, while Marie's counselor grilled them up, down, and sideways. Apparently Marie was shy, stand-offish, and didn't seem to be interested in making friends. Nor would she allow anyone to touch her. Even a friendly hand on her shoulder caused an adverse reaction.

Ysabel had done her best to placate the counselor. Surely, she had explained, he must realize that as an adopted child Marie had ghosts in her past that they were still working through. That didn't mean her current situation was abusive.

And there was the point that had set Ambrose into a seething rage. Ysabel could feel it begin and was eternally grateful he'd capitulated and left his gun in the car. The alternatives were too gristly to consider.

Returning to the present, trying not to smile at Ambrose's mouth-foaming rage, she shook her head. "It's over now. He may watch us closely, but he won't see anything untoward."

She shook her head. "So yes. Let's take it, for now. He can't do anything yet and he's made no formal accusation. I'll talk to Marie as well. This is a problem for her too, you know. She needs to be confident, unafraid. Maybe she needs counseling herself."

Ysabel wasn't sure though; Marie had never shied away from her touch or even Ambrose's now that she thought about it. Was it because they weren't human? Was it because they were stand-in parents? She didn't know. Perhaps Marie would grow out of it, now that she had a stable, loving home and something resembling family.

Well... something resembling family and something else resembling a rabid porcupine.
Ambrose 15 years ago
Out of the corner of his eye, Ambrose noticed Belle keeping things from falling and from breaking. He nearly shouted at her to let him break a few things as it would make him feel better. Instead, he squeezed his rage into a tight ball so he could shave.

The whole situation had brought the waif’s uncle to his attention. He had known she had a bad family situation, but now this man was on the top of his list. It would be nice to get back west for a few days.

“Don’t you worry about the uncle. We can fix that.”

Because god damned it he –was- getting to shoot something and/or someone for all this trouble.

The worm had taken his time getting to the point but once he had, he’d been completely tactless. How Belle had taken it so well he’d never understand. More than once he’d almost gotten up to ask this ‘councilor’ outside but Belle’s hand on his leg or arm had held him in check. If that wasn’t love, he didn’t know what was. As it was he was sure, she could hear his teeth grinding.

His own responses to the questions had been… brusque. He’d finally let his temper get the better of him and told the little man off at least a little. He hadn’t wanted to get Belle out of a place so bad since Cue Ball had dumped the waif into their lives. But this was a much harder fight to win.

Yeah, he wouldn’t find anything untold, aside from the fact that la nina was living with a couple of vampires. Other than that, perfectly normal. They didn’t lead abnormal lives but if you watched close enough you might catch something amiss. How did he protect his little family from this?!

“God damned it Belle I’d rather he’d have accused us of shooting some one. That I’ve done, messing with little girls not so much!”

He wiped the remaining shaving cream off his face and stood up. Stomping out of the bathroom he threw himself into a chair still fuming, but he finally admitted defeat, well a little bit as he pulled her into his lap.

“I don’t even know what to do for her. Had no idea she was that jumpy. I don’t think teaching her to shoot or to fight is right. Or that you’d approve of those methods.”

Although Ambrose was still furious some of his rage had burned off and let him concentrate more on the two women in his life and less on his own pride. There had to be some course of action he could take that would be good for them both.
Ysabel 15 years ago
Ysabel wore a tender expression as she followed Ambrose from the bathroom. For all his rage and bluster, she knew he was frustrated over more than the counselor's thinly-veiled accusations. He was protective, and his protective nature now had to span more then just her. He had to try to look after a very young, very human girl. Marie was technically Belle's responsibility, but not only did Ambrose like her, she was also important to Ysabel and that made her important to him.

"We have to leave her uncle alone," she pointed out, although she hoped Amber was just exaggerating on that point. "Nothing we can do to him would go unnoticed at this point. It's well enough that he doesn't seem to be looking for Marie."

She shared Ambrose's irritation about the counselor; she had been angry and frustrated with the man too. Ysabel didn't like the idea that she and Ambrose might be less than perfect parents. She didn't bear much love for the human race, but she liked children and she wouldn't have willingly injured one, familiar or not.

She made a decisive little chopping motion in the air with her hand. "Enough to be done with the entire meeting," she said, every bit as much to herself as to Amber. "Let's worry about Marie and how to help her. If she wants to learn how to shoot a gun, then teach her. No one can show her better how to be safe about it."

Perhaps they could find someone to help her learn self-defense too. It might make her feel better to have that protection, and maybe it would give her the confidence she so desperately seemed to need. At some point though, Ysabel figured they would have to face her issues with her uncle. She wasn't looking forward to it.
Ambrose 15 years ago
Ambrose just snorted at the idea of leaving the girl’s uncle alone. It would wait, a few months, a year maybe more but the man wasn’t going to get off. And it didn’t seem like a sound idea to let Belle in on the planning, she probably wouldn’t approve.

“Can’t look for her is my guess. From what the pinprick had to say, I’m guessing if he found her, she could scream bloody murder and get him taken care of pretty good. Rat bastard probably thinks she isn’t worth the risk.”

He snarled. The man had been given an honor, a responsibility to guide and protect and he’d at least tried to exploit that for his own sick wants. It was low and disgusting and now they had to figure out how to fix what he’d broken.

Ambrose had been absently rubbing the back of Ysabel’s neck, her acceptance of teaching the waif to shoot brought him up short.

“You never cease to surprise me. But we should ask her. Of course, maybe something more un-armed would be appropriate. You can’t exactly take a gun to school can you?”

The question held more than a little irony.

Of course, they still hadn’t addressed the larger problem. What exactly had gone on with her family and how did they, could they, sort it out. Ambrose was exceptionally glad the girl was Belle’s familiar. Undoubtedly a conversation like that he’d butcher and scare the little thing even worse.
Ysabel 15 years ago
Ysabel smiled as Ambrose cooled off, or began to. He was more suited to action than words. She figured he would simmer down if given the chance to formulate a plan and then put it in motion, instead of stewing on the counselor's very thinly-veiled accusations.

"Perhaps not a gun, not until she's a little older," she agreed, although she would have been fine with it if Marie wanted to learn to shoot the thing. "Unarmed self-defense, you're right. Every woman should know at least something, and perhaps it will give her something to think about instead of her past."

As for her schooling, Ysabel simply shrugged. "It's up to me to find a time and place to discuss school with her. Her grades are good, and if she's shy that's all right. Shy and reclusive or afraid are very different though. I want her to be happy."

She worried her fingernail between her teeth for a moment. Ysabel had dealt with humans for hundreds of years, children and adults alike. Several of her husbands had had children and she had enjoyed motherhood, even if it was only as a surrogate, but she couldn't recall ever having to deal with this particular problem and cause.

"It might not happen right away," she said as much to herself as to Amber.
Ambrose 15 years ago
Ambrose just shrugged. He’d been dealing with guns starting at a younger age than the girl. It had been a different era and he’d needed to know and, not to be overly sexist, he was a boy it had been expected.

Absently he started toying with Belle’s hair.

“Well the karate, judo, kung fu thing you can talk to her with no problems. Any time its not exactly personal. You can dance around things at any rate. I’m actually guessing she’ll like the idea. Not sure why thought.”

He removed her hand from her mouth, preventing Belle from further chewing at the nail, with out thought.

She was doing much better at this than he was. He’d never done the ‘fatherhood’ thing. It was a dim memory but he remembered wanting that roll at one point in his life. Now he doubted he would ever have been suited for it. Hell he wasn’t suited for it now.

“No, not right away. It’ll take time. How long has she been going to this school any way? And she’s probably still a little squirrelly some one could send her back. Not us obviously but look at all those damned bureaucrats she’s around all day long.”
Ysabel 15 years ago
They had made their way out of the bathroom and into their bedroom, where Belle sat on the bed and waited for Ambrose to join her. Once settled, she leaned against him and rested her head on his shoulder. Somehow his agreement with her was reassuring, even though she knew his experience with children was slim to none.

She ceased chewing her fingernail at Ambrose's touch and smiled up at him briefly. "She'll like it because she's active and, like you, wants to see the purpose in everything she's doing. She has a practical side, and I'm guessing that as a familiar she wants to be as useful as possible. Learning languages is a start; no matter who you are or where you go that's useful. Self-defense is another skill with a practical application. That's why it will appeal to her."

She nodded with confidence. Ysabel had done her own homework when it came to studying her new familiar. Marie might be young yet, but certain facets of her personality were very apparent and this trait she shared with Ambrose. It hadn't been hard to spot.

"That will be a start," she said. Then, allowing a mischievous smile to pass over her lips she added, "Do your best not to murder anyone just yet." The smile grew stern once more. "Including her uncle."

She had noticed how quickly Ambrose had dropped that idea. In her experience that generally meant "still planning but not telling Ysabel." What other reason could there possibly be for his not arguing? Ambrose loved to argue.
Ambrose 15 years ago
“God help us both if the waif is anything like me.”

That kind of troubled past, violent coming of age and its results Ambrose didn’t wish on any one. And of course there were the more ‘pleasant’ aspects of his personality they had to deal with too. At least the girl didn’t seem inclined to pick a fight at the drop of a hat. Although, she had given him a bit of a tongue-lashing when she’d tried to bum a few bucks off him that night. Ambrose grinned at the memory. His Belle’s familiar had spirit, that was for certain. They just had to get that sprit pointed in the right direction and keep her from… well what ever it was the school found so suspicious.

“OK good you talk to her about the whole kung fu thing and I’ll ask around and see if I can’t get a decent recommendation for place.”

He did a bit of a double take when she insisted he not murder any one and for a second hesitated between denial and protest. He went with protest, combining it with the tactic she’d used earlier lightly nuzzling her neck, occasionally letting his fangs graze her skin.

“I’m not out to murder any one. Not tonight, not tomorrow not even next month.” Yeah something like this took planning. “And if for some reason I do, they probably had it coming and I promise not to get caught.”
Ysabel 15 years ago
"She's not exactly like you," Ysabel said, her smile back in place once more after her brief warning to Ambrose. "Besides, she's a familiar first and foremost. I don't think she will be able to act on any violent impulses if she knows I would disapprove, and I believe I have already made that abundantly clear. I will reinforce it nonetheless."

She turned in toward Ambrose and rested her head against his chest, humming happily when she felt his lips against her neck. "I'll ask her if she wants to learn."

Opening one eye and tipping her head up to look at her lover, she felt her lips quirk up. Naturally, it would take more than a month for him to put this kind of plan into action. She wasn't fooled. Passive, placating Ambrose was a sure sign that prickly, irritable Ambrose was only on temporary leave-of-absence. After living with him for over a year now, Ysabel was still not fooled. She didn't say anything though. Time enough for plots and plans (and throwing wet towels on them) later.
Ambrose 15 years ago
“Good thing too, I wouldn’t take to being replaced.”

He growled as she leaned more fully against him. Belle was right though the waif was a familiar and not one of the overly independent sort. Granted the girl wasn’t a mindless zombie, in fact she could be something of a handful, but over all she was pretty mellow and pliable, at least for Belle.

“Even if she says no, we’ll find something. I promise.”

He had no idea what, but they would. He’d take care of his family. Who would have thought a cowboy could wind up with such a ‘traditional’ family.