What's the point? (invite only)

Aishe was more than just a little bit proud of Kem. After riding the elevators for ridiculous legths of time, crossing Meridian's walkway, and forcing himself to look down in spite of what "they" all said not to do, he seemed to be getting a handle on his fear of heights. It wasn't that he was comfortable up there. Hardly; nervous energy radiated from him in nearly palpable waves. But to the casual observer, who didn't know him at all, Kem appeared to be an average Meridian employee off on break for coffee at Barney's. He was staring at the screen of his laptop with Aishe, and only the perceptive individual would notice the occasional shake of his hands.

Aishe, for her part, had pulled her chair close to his and was leaning against his left arm, hot chocolate in hand. Every once in a while she pulled a cookie from the plate in front of her, next to Kem's laptop, and either nibbled at it herself or gave it to Kem, who did the same.

On the laptop screen were pictures of cars. It was deja vu, Aishe thought. The last time they'd had this discussion had been several months ago, and she had decided on a 4-door VW Rabbit for her next car. They were on that website now, discussing the various merits of upgrades versus no upgrades.

"What's the point?" Aishe asked when Kem let the pointer hover over the 6-CD disc-changer-thingy with microwave whatever and coffeemaker and who knew what else. "Can't I just take out a the old CD and put in a new one? Why do I need a 6-disc changer?"

She grinned as she said it. Aishe had made it a point to argue with Kem every time they came up here now. It took his mind off of where they were, and he was fun to argue with - playfully of course.

"It's like that cappucino you have. Totally pointless."

Yes, indeed. She went there.

Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem had to admit, the coffee at Barney's was worth riding the elevator for. And he liked to think he was pretty picky about coffee. Even more worth it, however, was the smile on Aishe's face when he invited her up here for a quick break. Maybe he was getting self-indulgent in his old age, but he would gladly repeat the ride for that smile.

Aishe was pretty well sold on her new car; all that remained was to nail down the details and order it. Kem's shiny new BMW should arrive at the dealer in the next month, something he was especially looking froward to. It only seemed fair that Aishe get her car within a similar timeframe.

"It's so you don't have to look down and get distracted flipping through a CD case. You push a button and get the next disc. Easy. No one dies. Your car stays in one piece."

Given that technically they had each died already, he was more concerned for the life of the car. Cars did not have the ability to come back in any sort of undead form. That didn't even bear thinking about. Undead vampire cars, sucking gas from unsuspecting pumps at midnight. Grr.

All right, it bore a little thinking about.

"Wait, what's wrong with my cappucino?" He looked down at it, then down at Aishe. A smile lifted his lips slightly; she was picking on him intentionally. She did it every time they were here, and the teasing was fun. At first it had been a relief to be able to fix his mind on something other than "Oh God oh God we're going to fall and die" but now it was just play. He was all right up here for short periods of time. Not comfortable, but also not going out of his mind with panic. It was slow improvement, but still a move in the right direction.
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe looked up at Kem with a skeptical expression. "I don't think I need a 6-disc changer," she pointed out firmly. "I put one CD in when I get into the car, and I take it out when I'm done driving. If I actually travel far enough to need a second CD I either turn on the radio, or I ask you to replace it."

Aishe didn't think she'd driven far enough to require more than one CD since moving to Nachton; with her parents back in Egypt now, the only people she cared about were right here in the city. Where did he think she was going to be driving to? And in either case, she was pretty sure her attention span was sufficient to prevent her flying off the road while she pressed the "am/fm" button.

She moved off the topic; no 6-disc changer, thank you, and poked a finger at kem's drink, what little there was of it. "You just forked over five bucks for a cup of milk foam. You don't think that's pointless? There isn't even any chocolate in it."

This was cause for concern for Aishe, who figured everything should have chocolate involved in some way shape or form. That Kem didn't share this view was unfortunate, but the way she saw it she ahd an eternity to show him the error of his non-chocoholic ways.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem knew when he was beaten; besides, it was Aishe's car and it should be just the way she wanted it. "All right, no disc changer," he said, dropping a kiss on the top of her head discreetly. "What about a GPS though? Maybe... an early Christmas present?"

He knew she'd always wanted one but the best ones were a little pricy and Aishe, while happy to rely on Kem for certain things, was proud of her financial independence. Certainly she'd never let him buy her a car, but perhaps she'd let him get her a good nav system.

He laughed softly at her cappuccino comment. "Yeah, I forked over five bucks for it," he admitted, "but they do it right. See? It's not served in a paper cup; it's porcelain, which retains heat better. And the foam actually serves to insulate for the same purpose. It's an art, I'm telling you."

Tapping the top of the foam with his index finger, he touched Aishe's nose, leaving a little dollop of milk foam there. "See, now your nose won't ever get cold."
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe couldn't help perking up at the idea of having a fun GPS toy in her new car. Pride warred with desire a few moments and she finally looked up to Kem and said, "Really? But that's it, right? You won't go buying me any more Christmas presents and conveniently 'forgetting' about the GPS?" She narrowed her eyes and poked him in the chest.

"You know how to get to my weak spot," she accused, making no attempt to hide her pleasure at the unexpected gift.

She tried not to show the glazing-over of her eyes as Kem discoursed upon the fine art of cappuccino-brewing. "So... your cappuccino will stay nice and hot for the duration of your half-hour break?"

When he dolloped her nose with foam she wiped it away, looking up at him thoughtfully while licking it from her fingertip. Running her tongue over her lips to get the last bit, she shook her head. "Still no chocolate. Waste of five bucks if you ask me."
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
"Right. I won't go buying you more presents." Kem wasn't above lying when it came to buying Christmas presents. He'd said it would be an early one, not the only one.

Hugging her tightly he said, "You have so few weak spots, merit. I've got to know where they are so I can get the upper hand on occasion."

Speaking of presents, he did have one in the pocket of his laptop bag; the same one he'd been attempting to give to her the night before last at Vesper. He watched, admittedly a little slack-jawed, as Aishe's tongue flicked out to taste the foam from her finger then lick her lips. Was he supposed to find that so appealing? Because now he just sort of wanted to skip the second half of their work shift and head straight for home.

Her words brought him to his senses though, and he laughed. "How about next time I just dip a five dollar bill in chocolate and let you have it?"

Yes, maybe now would be the perfect time to give her this particular gift.
Pakpao 15 years ago
Why was it whenever she was in a good mood, a really –really- good mood no one wanted to play with her? Feeling slightly (very) bouncy Pak gave herself the night off and skipped off to the mall. There –had- to be something to entertain her there. Books, no. Coffee, hell no. Art, no. And –why- did no one want to serve her? Pak was starting to be offended. It couldn’t possibly have anything to do with the two-foot long double-barreled water gun she was carrying with her.

Stopping at one of the snack type shops, she ordered a coke. Sipping it and walking away she made a face and slapped it back down on the counter.

“That’s diet. I didn’t order a diet! Do I –look- like I need a diet?!”

With out hesitation she pumped the water gun once and hit the clerk square in the chest with a stream of water. He didn’t respond to that –nearly- as well as she’d though. But while he was, busying calling his manager Pak broke into giggles and took off at top speed charging into the mall. It was a bit tricky but she managed to weave and doge through the other patrons and when she couldn’t get some one out of her way fast enough she let loose another shot.

She was thoroughly impressed with the range, she must have been getting 40 feet! Firing above the heads of the others, she hit a tree, dead leaves and water splattered everywhere; including down on a table with Kem at it. Kem! Perfect timing! Totally over looking the mild shower and foliage she’d inflicted on Kem and Aishe Pak skidded to a halt at their table.

“You’ve gotta hide me. I’m out of ammo and the soda guy he’s –not- happy. Oh cappuccino.”

Pak helped herself to half a gulp of who’s ever coffee it was. It wasn’t bad. However, an angry shout followed her and she half choked it down.

Son of bitch! Damned it he isn’t giving up. Here Kem, hide this and if any one asks… you haven’t seen me!”

The transition from one language to another was seamless, she didn’t even breath she just shoved her now empty water gun at Kem and trusted him to both hide and return it. If he didn’t she had others and would take it back by force. With the evidence pawned off on some one else, she again tore off into the crowd.

“It was nice too see you too Aishe!”

She called over her shoulder while dodging a group of three and looking for an exit. Stubborn ass soda guy! Why couldn’t she stop giggling?

((Pak out

OOC… Red is Siamese.

OOC #2… with many thanks to the talented Roz and the inimitable Ellis for showing us how its –really- done.))
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe snuggled into Kem's hug, smiling and laughing at his offer of a choclate-dipped bill. "I don't know that it would have the same delicious taste," she admitted.

Suddenly there was a commotion from across the mall. A small figure came flying across the walkway, accompanied by a brief shower above them which included some dead leaves from the tree their table was under, and some water. At least she hoped it was water.

Pak appeared in a frenzy, thrusting a water gun at Kem and saying something Aishe didn't understand before switching to English. It was accompanied by a healthy slurp of Kem's cup of foam. The look on his face left Aishe laughing out loud, and Pak ran off like a tiny Siamese hurricane.

Aishe stood, gathering her bag, closing Kem's laptop before anything could happen to it. Finishing her cocoa she waved her hand in front of Kem's eyes. "I think that's our cue to get back to work," she said with a grin. "You can probably take your cappuccino along and send the cup back later."
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem had his hand halfway into the pocket of his laptop bag but he pulled it hastily out again when Pak stormed onto the scene with - a water gun? Boggling at her, he attempted to avoid getting his fingerprints on the murder weapon but she dropped it on him too quickly and he reacted by catching it before he saw what it was.

"Ammo? The soda guy? Who's not giving up? Damn it, Pak, what am I going to do with a two foot long shotgun?"

He called that last bit out to her as she was already tearing away, and his raised voice unfortunately had the disadvantage of attracting the attention of everyone within earshot.

Kem blinked, not quite understanding the nature of the stares until he realized what he'd shouted across the mall. He held the gun up, surrender-style. "It's a water gun. A water-shotgun... thing."

Aishe was in fits now, and his face couldn't get much redder. Shaking his head at her he said, "I think I'll just go hide in the archives for the rest of the evening. But Pak will get her water gun back... fully loaded and, hopefully, emptied just before I give it to her."

With that he collected his laptop and headed back down, Aishe still chuckling alongside him.

((ooc: AIshe and Kem out - Pak's sooo in trouble))