Not lost!

Sure he’d just gotten off the plane, and then he’d gotten lost in the airport disoriented any way and of course he’d misplaced the address and directions for how to get the Pack grounds out here and the cabbie had gotten pretty rude. But as far as Drew was concerned things were going perfectly.

His one and only bag, his grandfather’s old army duffle bag, slung over his shoulder he ambled along fighting the urge to run in and shout “Hi Honey I’m home!” The old man had been pretty adamant he at least try and make a good impression. It wasn’t Drew’s fault his idea of a good impression and the old man’s didn’t always match.

Hmmm pretty quiet around here, just one or two people floating around and they all seemed to have some where to be. He must have arrived during some kind of lull or something like that. He was just again debating a more boisterous entrance when a familiar voice reached his ears.

Who would have thought. Watching the other party of the conversation walk away Drew’s first thought was to shout ‘Hey gorgeous!’ but he knew she’d never even look up. So he went with the next best thing.

“Hey Nikhila!"

Nikhila 15 years ago
She’d just been passing through the foyer on her way back to her rooms for a quick break and a change of clothes when one of her students caught her. Nikhila never could say no to a student and so stopped to go over the paper she was working on. It was easy enough to see where the young lady had gotten lost. She’d crossed her formulas early on and as a consequences had managed to turn led in to gold. This was fine if you were an archaic alchemist but certainly wasn’t going to get you a passing grade in her class.

As her student trotted off she again started to her rooms but a very boisterous voice heralded her with quite the enthusiastic greeting. Smoothly spinning about she found the source of the commotion easily.

“Shiye!”

Nikhila was quite taken aback, but it was a pleasant surprise. That was easy enough to see as her smile was quite warm. She almost always called him by his proper name, it was an honor to be allowed to do so one he wouldn’t extend to many.

Quickly looking him over to make sure he was well she continued.

“Why are you in Nachton? I can see you just arrived. Welcome.”

Even though she was happy to see the young were Nikhila made no move to greet him. Not only did she hold her ground she braced herself.
Drew 15 years ago
Whee ha! It was her, of course there was –no- mistaking her tall lean build. In his opinion Nikhila would have stood out in any crowd any where.

Forgetting all his promises about making a good impression Drew charged in to greet her and with out a conscious thought picked her up. She might have been near as tall as he was but she was light. It never even occurred to him that holding her with her feet dangling several inches above the ground would be either inappropriate or unwelcome.

“I got a job! Sort of its an internship and the old guys thought I might be able to learn something here.”

The old guys being his father and grandfather. The fact that they were encouraging him to come here and learn was a source of pride and pleasure for the young man.

“When did you get here? I would have come sooner if I’d have known.”

He flashed an easy flirtatious grin at his captive.

“Or better yet I could take you away from all this.”
Nikhila 15 years ago
Of course, she should have known his family would have sent him. Nikhila knew full well of what Shiye wanted out of life. But the job was also intriguing. She’d gotten an announcement when he finished his masters. In fact, the letter had come just a few weeks ago.

“Wonderful. You’ll have to tell me about it, but that does not excuse you from your doctorate.”

Like any good mentor she couldn’t resist a chance to goad and push, just a little. The young man had far too much talent to let it go to waste.

It, also, had not escaped her notice he was still not standing on her own two feet. She looked at him expectantly waiting to be returned to her own feet.

“I’ve been in Nachton for some time now. As you’d know if you bothered to write.”

She rather primly and deliberatly over looked his obvious flirting. He'd been trying almost since the day they met. Nikhila had tried to discourage him, but that apparently only made the young man try harder. So she had settled for simply not encouraging him.
Drew 15 years ago
“Nah! I’m no good at writing.”

He protested, she’d not agree with him but hey a guy could be modest when he had to. Besides it could do wonders for your ego (not that his needed any help) to have a beautiful woman say you were talented. He’d like her to think he was talented at other things but he’d also take what he could get.

“Besides, I like this better.”

He hugged Nikhila to him a bit more knowing that in about two seconds she was going to demand to be put down. Well demand in her own soft spoken polite way but demand nonetheless. Until then he was enjoying the game and the fact that she was at least a little flustered and not quite sure what to do with him. It was a good game, he thought as he grinned up at her daring her to ask him to let her go and not sure if he’d drop her or be the gentleman. They’d find out in a second or two.
Xeph 15 years ago
Xeph came into the front entrance of the Den, having seen Nikhila headed that way after her class, thinking to sneak a few minutes alone with her before he headed to the clinic.

As he entered, he was met with a most unusual sight. If he wasn't mistaken, that was Drew Benally, who he'd met once or twice and had been told was coming to Nachton. Drew was not unusual.

What was unsual was that Drew was grappling his mate in a most unflattering manner, and had lifted her off the ground in way of greeting. Xeph scratched his head, noted Nikhila's expression, which was one of "not exactly thrilled," and figured he may as well return like with like.

Coming up behind Drew, he considered it, and nodded to himself. It took some effort, but he wrapped his long arms around Drew and lifted him off the ground in turn, holding both him and Nikhila up.

"It's good to see you Drew but if you don't let go of Nikhila, I'm going to toss you into the nearest hedge maze and throw a bag of cats in with you."

A wicked grin on his face, Xeph craned his neck to see the younger man's expression. Maybe Drew hadn't realized his father would, naturally, contact the Alpha to let him know Drew would be in town? that would be the sort of oversight Drew would make.
Drew 15 years ago
Whoa! Drew totally didn’t expect that, not in about a hundred years. He immediately let go of Nikhila. Damned, OK he hadn’t meant to drop her drop her but too late and since she landed on her feet I didn’t have to grovel, just apologize.

“Not the cats. I might be able to manage the maze but I’d much prefer you’d skip the cats if you didn’t mind, sir.”

Not having been invited to address the alpha in any particular manner he figured safe was better than sorry and had gone for formal.

He’d be able to manage it, in three or for days, or maybe he could dig his way out. Either way it didn’t matter his eyes had gone wide with surprised and was clearly looking contrite, but still smiling. Oh, granddad was going to have words to say about this, if he found out.

“Scout’s honor just saying hello, every intention of putting her down in a second or three.”

His father had said something about sending a letter off to their alpha and he knew he was more or less anticipated in Nachton but he really hadn’t figured on this personal a greeting. He looked to Nikhila for interference apparently she was on good terms with the man holding him hostage. Maybe she could get –him- put down.
Nikhila 15 years ago
It had been just on the tip of her tongue to tell Shiye to put her down. Nikhila knew quite well that’s what he was waiting for. When she noticed, or half noticed Xeph and his reaction was extremely unexpected.

Being dropped from her now even higher perch Nikhila landed lightly and with out effort. Just saying hello; gave him her best teacher look for his unspoken request for assistance. He’d gotten into this mess and dropped her, he could get himself out.

“You know some times a hand shake can be quite effective.”

Nikhila was having a very hard time not laughing at the young man’s plight. She smothered her growing smile behind a hand. This was not the ideal way to be presented to your alpha, but she couldn’t say he didn’t deserve it.

“I have to agree Aidan, the cats might be a bit much. He did just get here, save something for the next offense.”

That time she did laugh as Shiye nodded, almost as if he was agreeing there’d be a next offense. Well perhaps there would and perhaps there wouldn’t.
Xeph 15 years ago
Xeph's grapple had the expected result, and he obliged Nikhila with a sigh as he hefted the young man out of the way and tossed him gently aside. Then, shooting Drew a grin, he closed in on Nikhila and lifted her himself, holding hr much much closer and kissing the tip of her nose.

"If you're going to sweep a woman off her feet, a - be effective with it, and b - follow through."

Placing Nikhila back down, he gave it a thought and than added, "Oh yeah. And c - Nikhila mine. Go find your own. She's not for practice."

He was still smiling. Mostly. As he turned back to look at the new arrival, he shook his head. "When did I see you last? You're were a scrawny kid then. Look at you now. I almost had to work to lift you. Is that all you've got along?"

Xeph indicated the bag that accompanied Drew.
Drew 15 years ago
Hey! That wasn’t fair. Drew didn’t mind being tossed about in a fair fight but sneaking up on a guy while he was holding a girl that was low. Finding himself tossed aside didn’t bother him at all. He wasn’t a total klutz and had more than a little experience in righting him self. Bouncing back to his feet he grinned.

“Check that. I didn’t know about C though. She’d been leading me on for years.”

Actually she’d been shutting him down since high school but he really hadn’t known she and Xeph… OK that was now a definite paws off. Not that Drew was entirely discouraged. After all he’d still responded to the teasing with his own humor only grinning wider at the look Nikhila fixed him with. There was a semi warning there, not enough to bother him but enough to get him to nod solemnly.

“But I promise to resist her charms from now on.”

How long had it been. He was right, a while. Drew finally gave up trying to do the math and shrugged.

“Before I left for school at least. Apparently I had to get away from Mom’s cooking to gain any weight.”

That wasn’t entirely true, his mother was an excellent cook at least he thought so. He just happened to hit his growth spurt about freshman year.

“Sure is. You know us we travel light. At least one of my sisters thought I over packed.”

He shook his head clearly indicating there was no understanding his sisters, either of them.

“I figured I could send back for anything I forgot. Unless you plan on kicking me out right now. Course I don’t have a return ticket and it’s a long run…”
Nikhila 15 years ago
Out of the frying pan and into the fire. Of course she infinitely preferred the fire. She smiled at Xeph with more than a little warmth but as they had an audience left it at that only standing close to him.

Shaking her head at the new arrival as he righted himself, at least he was resilient. Not in Nachton five minutes and he’d already been picked up and tossed around and she’d had to hit him with the look twice and he was still smiling.

She hadn’t been aware the two knew each other, but it was hardly surprising considering the young man’s family.

“It is a long run, and you’d never find the way.”

She refused to be taken in by his puppy act. He was inordinately capable when he chose to be. Of course she wasn’t entirely immune to it either as even her reproof held a hint of a smile.
Xeph 15 years ago
"Took the words right out of my mouth," Xeph said when Nikhila pointed out Drew would be unable to find his way home. "Maybe we'll draw you a map though, so you don't get lost on your way to your own room. Speaking of, though, why don't we show you the way?"

Xeph had noted where Shiye's rooms would be, and figured he may as well accompany the two there, since he was reasonably sure Nikhila would have offered to do so herself. The young man was located well away from where they were, in the opposite wing of the U-shaped Den. That was for the best; while they both knew he was there for his internship, no one could have hidden the fact that his father had asked Xeph to look after him, and what 25-year-old wanted to be looked after?

No, Xeph intended to keep an eye out for Shiye, but every young man had to make and solve his own mistakes. Living farther away from Xeph would give him some freedom.

Tucking his hand into Nikhila's, Xeph smiled down at her and motioned to Shiye to accompany them.
Drew 15 years ago
“Hey White Man they warned me about your evil maps back on the Rez. So I think I’ll go with the nickel tour. At least it won’t steal my soul.”

There was a difference between prejudice and humor. Some times it was hard to see, and even more so if you were on the other side of the line. Drew took a great deal of pride in his Navajo heritage and would never disregard or disrespect it, but that didn’t mean he wouldn’t have a bit of fun with it. And if the airport was any indication, he was going to have some good fun. These stuffy East Coast types seemed flustered by an honest to god Indian about. At least his kind.

Cheerfully slinging his bag back over his shoulder, he trotted for a few steps until he caught back up. Damned nice set up, better than they could do back home. Of course, money was a bit tighter back home too. Not that any one wanted for anything they took care of their own, that’s how a good Pack worked. It just wasn’t as fancy.

“So shoving me off in to a dark corner? I can handle that so long as it's not too far from the kitchen and I don’t have a roommate. Damned the one that last semester nearly killed me, damned Comp Sci geeks you can’t have a sane conversation with them.”
Nikhila 15 years ago
Smiling as Xeph took her hand, she breathed a sigh of relief. They were walking to the other wing. Undoubtedly the location was for his own good but she approved of the side benefit and would be thanking some one later. As it was she took advantage of Shiye back tracking a bit to get his bag to extremely quietly say,

“A very wise decision.”

She had spent a good deal of time in Bitter Springs at one point looking into what they thought was an out break of the Hantvirus. She’d known there was a local Pack but had still be surprised to encounter them. She’d also been welcomed into the family with open arms and had kept in touch since then. And in all those years, she had only a hand full of time seen Shiye discouraged or down about anything. So, his chatter didn’t surprise her. It was easy enough to listen too and good natured.

“I’m sure he thought the same of your endless talk of digs and baseball. Now where did you say this internship was?”
Drew 15 years ago
“Digs and baseball are very dynamic topics of conversation.”

He protested. Some people, who shall remain nameless, often seemed to disagree with him though. At least about the baseball. But he’d forgive that fault.

The job? Oh yeah he hadn’t said.

“I got in with the Meridian Archives. Still not quite sure how, I must have impressed some one though. Tough interview and quite a few big name schools too. Still a foot in the door is a foot in the door isn’t it?”

There was a possibility of a permanent job. But realistically Drew was just happy to be able to put this on his resume. It would probably be a good place to ‘network’ and maybe even help figure out how to get started on his PhD. He wouldn’t be in Nachton forever, nope he had plans back home.
Xeph 15 years ago
Xeph had to admit he was impressed with the way Shiye was growing up. He didn't remember the kid too well, but he knew is father and grandfather, and while Shiye wasn't necessarily a chip off the old block or anything, he had their good traits in abundance.

"Meridian, huh? That's a fancy internship. Better make sure you know the way there on day one."

He couldn't help heckling. In part it was just a friendly jest... but yeah, he was the kid's watcher so he'd best make sure.

"If you want, we can drive by later on so you can see it."

Turning to Nikhila he said, "Didn't we just have a fun evening out with a notable Meridian employee, come to think of it?"

Explaining further to Drew he added, "Nikhila is on good terms with one of their Archivists. Maybe you'll meet him."
Nikhila 15 years ago
Nikhila took half a step into Xeph for his teasing. It wasn’t Shiye’s fault he got a bit turned around and he was far too good-natured to ever protest.

She perked up at the internship, finding she was quite proud of him. That was, as Xeph said, a ‘fancy’ one and as Shiye had stated there would have been a lot of competition.

“Congratulations. I’m sure your folks must be quite pleased as well.”

That had been quite an odd evening. It was odd thing but Nikhila managed to both nod and shake her head at the same time. She’d enjoyed Kem and Aishe’s company as well as Reign’s but Bastian she hadn’t understood. Perhaps she was being overly sensitive or overly protective of Regan’s daughter. Either way the evening had taken an odd and tense turn.

“He’s quite a talented gentleman but from what I can gather very busy. But it wouldn’t surprise me if you ran into Kem at some point.”
Drew 15 years ago
“I did bring a compass, just in case.”

Drew just grinned. He didn’t mind, not really. At the very least, he wasn’t going to worry about it.

The offer of a quick drive by was appealing. Honestly Drew had no idea how to start and he did want to be on time for his first day. Show up late and he’d probably lose the job, it wasn’t like there weren’t fifty other people beating the door down. In addition, if he lost the job he’d probably wind up back home. Which wouldn’t be terrible, but it wasn’t the goal either.

“Thank and yeah, that would be great. I’d like to try and get my bearings, oh and a bus schedule.”

He’d saved enough to buy a decent used car, but not enough to buy one he could drive cross-country. So, car shopping was on the agenda in the near future. That also sounded like fun.

He eyed Nikhila semi suspiciously. She apparently got around. Why would she need to know an archivist? Not that he had the first clue about microbiology, other than it was very small.

“Oh? You said his name is Kem?”

He thought the name sounded familiar, maybe it was in the literature he’d been sent. It wasn’t who he was supposed to report to though. Still Drew was curious and he’d probably try and find the guy at some point. OK he would try, if nothing else he was getting some semi mixed signals from the two of them and wondered why.

“And you took an archivist out to dinner? This might not be a bad place to work after all if even the archivist are willing to go out and be social.”
Xeph 15 years ago
"Will the compass help?" Xeph raised his eyebrows in surprise. He was still just teasing, however. Bad as Drew's father had made him out to be, Xeph had met far worse individuals in his lifetime. He was just happy he wasn't one of them. He liked knowing where he was going, thank you very much.

Nodding at he man he said, "We'll head out whenever you want, maybe get some dinner on the way back if you're hungry."

Indicating the one bag Drew had with him he said, "Anywhere else we need to stop with you? Clothes, supplies?"

At Drew's mentioning the Meridian archivist, Xeph shrugged at said, "Nikhila was looking into some old research and he helped her out. We bumped into him a few weeks later on a chance meeting at the bowling alley. He seemed nice enough. I wouldn't say he's anything more than an acquaintance but at least it gives you a name, someone who might be a little familar with your family here in Nachton."
Drew 15 years ago
“Can’t hurt.”

Catching Nikhila’s near defense of him Drew gave a mental laugh. As it didn’t seem to phase Xeph at all, he decided Nikhila had been holding out on him it might explain why she was always so reserved around his uncles. He’d think about that more later.

“Nope all set but you could defiantly talk me into something less than vegetarian.”

While he hadn’t brought a lot he really was prepared to present a professional appearance, he wouldn’t embarrass his Pack by being less than prepared or appropriate.

Mmmmmm meat. Airplane food just hadn’t cut it, peanuts and pretzels were not real food and then charging seven bucks for a salad? It was no wonder he hadn’t eaten for a while and was more than a little peckish.

“Check that.”

Obviously a little familiar meant just that a little familiar so names, faces and shop talk only. He would have been damned surprised if it had been anything more than that. In fact, that was so obvious that it was Xeph’s other statement that brought more notice.

“You took her bowling?”

He asked incredulously. That was a shocker something he never would have lived to have seen the elegant Indian woman doing. Drew simply wasn’t able to keep the look of disbelief off his face.
Nikhila 15 years ago
“Kem ‘Raaisu.”

Nikhila confirmed. She honestly didn’t expect that Kem would have much to do with an intern. Perhaps a formal hello and welcome and very little else.

At Xeph’s checking up on their newest arrival a barley audible half laugh. It was completely unsurprising he’d make sure Shiye would be settled in and prepared and equally unsurprising that Shiye would be more prepared than he seemed.

Granted bowling hadn’t been her first choice for an evening out but why did he have to sound so surprised. Apparently, she didn’t give off that bowling alley type of energy. She looked skyward temporarily ignoring both men.

“”I lost.”

She said simply.