Making a House Call (invite only)

Xeph had toyed with the idea of sniffing around Reign's house in wolf form again, but he was here on a mission of peace and while the idea was tempting, it wouldn't do to incite Bastian. Xeph was still missing a few pieces of the puzzle himself, but he knew enough for now.

Bastian's car was nowhere to be seen, which was fine. Reign, however, was in. Xeph parked on the road at the end of the driveway and walked to the door. The sun was just setting, casting a dim orange glow over everything. He looked around with human eyes before knocking; this was a nice neighborhood. Quiet, out of the way. Most of the lawns were neatly landscaped, grass mowed and hedges trimmed. Not the kind of place you'd expect a break-in.

Resettling a small brown box in his hand, Xeph reached up and knocked lightly on the door. There were things he wanted to clear up with Reign; not just because she was a client, but because he liked her and considered her a friend. He didn't know if she was also a were but he didn't think so. Even if she were, though, it was important she understand he had not been trying to cause her trouble.

Reign 15 years ago
Blech, housework. She always seemed to get behind on it. So today was an all cleaning day, the house was officially spotless and she had a pile of clean laundry on the sofa next to her. She was folding it and setting the folded items on the coffee table while watching Lilo and Stitch for the nine millionth time. Hey it was a good movie and a girl had to do something to relax. Well relax as well as she could.

She was actually going out of her way not to think about Bastian and about their fight. God, she didn't think she'd ever been so fucking mad at him in her life. Not even when he ditched her. But she wasn't going after him either. He'd made this mess he could sort it out. She might let him; she hadn't made up her mind yet.

Gah! None of that, movie. Watch the movie. Well she would have but the mutt suddenly got up from under the kitchen table and trotted to the door. Company, nice. Sirius barked at the door but not in his usual manner, it didn't sound nearly as intimidating as he could. OK so it was some one she knew. Yup there was the knock.

Tossing aside a towel she'd been folding Reign followed the big shepherd to the door and peered out the peep hole. Now that was something/someone she didn't expect. Without any hesitation she opened up the door. This was Bastian's hang up, not hers. Sirius, thankfully, minded his manners but was obviously quite pleased to see their guest.

"Heya Doc. I didn't expect you. Why don't you come in?"Â?

She backed up slightly to let him pass if he wanted.

"Unless I've forgotten to pay a bill or something then I think I'm going to have to call my accountant."Â?
Xeph 15 years ago
Xeph smiled, although the expression didn't spring to his lips as easily as usual. Still, it was no less genuine; the events of the past few days had just begun to wear on him. Reign's invitation was friendly and near-immediate, which he appreciated. He hadn't been sure if she would even allow him in. Not that he thought he'd done anything wrong, but Bastian seemed to think he had and Reign was quite close to him.

He stepped into the house and greeted Sirius, who had been waiting patiently for just such a thing.

"I hope I'm not dropping onto you at a bad time," he said, "but it occurred to me that there isn't necessarily a good time for these sorts of things."

These things, he meant, being discussions involving the existence of werewolves and some of the details. He almost wanted to wait and see if Reign broached the topic... after all, maybe Bastian hadn't told her anything? He gave himself an internal shake. That wouldn't be right. Reign deserved to know, if she didn't already. How could she not, though, after what had gone on on her front lawn a few weeks ago?

Xeph, for his part, had never really been uncomfortable with this. He'd grown up with his own kind and had never had to face a day in his life thinking he was the outsider. He began without preamble. Reign was a straightforward woman; she would understand.

"You're a good person, Reign. And I have a complex. I can't listen to someone I like and respect tell me they've been threatened or mistreated, and not do something about it. So when you told me about your break in I decided to see if I could help somehow. With a scent, a track, something. I didn't realize you were already under the protection of one of our kind."

He shook his head. "Even as impatient and... impulsive as he seems to be."

Xeph handed Reign the box he held. "My apology," he said with a grin, "for causing undue stress between yourself and your guardian."

He refused to say "boyfriend." While he assumed that was the case, Xeph was loathe to jump to conclusions and compound matters. "I hope you'll use it in good faith."
Reign 15 years ago
"Nope not a bad time at all, you saved me from the rest of my laundry."Â?

Washing and drying were easy, folding and putting away she hated. Oh well.

Shuffling them into the living room Reign was grateful her last load had been sheets, towels, jeans and t-shirts rather than underwear. Call her old fashioned but she and the Doc weren't dating so he didn't get to see her kickers even as part of a heap of clean clothes.

Yeah, that should have come as more of a shock to her than it did. But she'd had the puzzle pieces lined up, including Bastian's suspicions, it was just a matter of clicking them into place and the Doc did that quite nicely. She flopped down on the couch absently gesturing he should take a seat.

"Huh. So you are too. I can't say I'm surprised but I'm starting to think there's a lot of you running around this city and I'm starting to feel really out numbered."Â?

Great a bunch of werewolves and a vampire and one lonely human. Of course the Doc didn't know about the local vampire and to be fair there were other humans about, look at Aishe and Kem. Although Reign now suspected the Doc's date was also a werewolf, but she was probably jumping to conclusions there.

Opening the box in order to stall for time she boggled at the watch. From the manual that came with it she suspected it was more complex than her laptop. After a second she grinned.

"Much obliged sir. You know you didn't have to. I think this was all just an innocent misunderstanding."Â?

Right up until the time Bastian tried to tear your throat out, with limited success, and I doused you with cold water. Whoops...

Reign shrugged at the term guardian, close enough.

"That works. He's not been himself lately and I can't sort out why."Â?

It was both an apology and a dismissal of the subject. Reign would have to work out her issues with Bastian on her own and that's all there is to it.

"We've talked about it a bit, not a lot... I guess you're part of a different Pack? I mean obviously ya'll didn't know each other."Â?

There, it had taken a second but Reign ventured into nosey land. She didn't know how he'd respond, or even if he would but well if you don't ask you don't get do you?
Xeph 15 years ago
Xeph watched and nodded as Reign opened the gift. It was what appeared to be a simple watch, but in addition to time-telling, it also held a thermometer, barometer, a capable memory, a mapping system, a mini hard drive, a GPS, and was solar powered. Xeph had one as well, and especially for trekking around remote mountainsides, it was handy.

"In lieu of sniffing around your front lawn, maybe this'll offer some kind of support without my infringing upon another man's territory."

Xeph watched as Reign toyed with the watch for a little bit. Her observations on Bastian caused him to shrug; he didn't know Bastian. For all he knew Bastian was always crabby, possessive, and territorial. It wasn't unheard of for their kind.

When she asked about the Pack he nodded. This was the sort of thing he expected, and was more than willing to answer.

"There are two Packs," he said. "I am assuming Bastian belongs to the Vyusher R'asa, or I would have known of him. I'm Kadzait."

He tilted his head at Reign, watching her face to see if any of this was striking a familiar note. "I have a feeling if Bastian had known much more than that, well... he might not have been so impulsive."

Shaking his head he said, "Then again maybe not. We wolves protect what we care about."

He continued by saying, "While the Kadzait and the Vyusher haven't always been the best of friends, we aren't exactly enemies. We have the same goal, but we prefer to attain it through different means."

Xeph managed to say it without sneering. He was fine with violence, but violence for the sake of violence was wrong. He felt their kind should regain their place in the world with patience and determination, not terrorism and bloodshed.
Reign 15 years ago
“I don’t give a damned who he is I’m no man’s territory.”

Whoops. Reign looked up at the ceiling for a second took a deep breath and composed herself before grinning sheepishly at the Doc.

“Ummmm… If any one asks I didn’t say that. I mean I’m used to him being a little on the possessive jealous side but… yeah. You’re a good guy Doc but I’m not sure giving the mutt all his shots qualifies you for relationship counseling.”

Reign could get foot in mouth disease pretty better than most and sometimes had a habit of talking way too much, simply being unable to keep her trap shut. And the Doc had touched on a sensitive/fresh topic. Reminding herself to let it go she tried to go back to the whole oh by the way I’m a werewolf conversation rather than my guys being a dick conversation. Although she was tempted to ask what he’d do if he felt some one was encroaching on his date from the night before…

“So what exactly are your goals? I mean I wouldn’t have thought stalking around a major city would be any werewolf’s idea of a good time. Can I call ya’ll werewolves?”
Xeph 15 years ago
Reign's vehement response backed Xeph up a step. Now hold on, he thought he wasn't getting involved in relationship stuff.

"Uh, I actually meant territory as in... your lawn. And your driveway. And, uh, maybe the bushes."

Smiling, he said, "Believe me, I am not the guy to offer counseling. I'm aware of it, and am happy to stick to sticking the mutt."

Reign seemed to calm down a bit at that. She switched topics, which Xeph highly approved of, onto things he was also far more qualified to expound on.

"Yes. You can call us werewolves, but if you would like to be specific, our Pack names will distinguish us neatly. And I don't stalk. I generally come blazing right on in wielding two by fours and screaming bloody murder." Xeph glowered for a moment at Reign's choice of words.

"Our goals are simple. A very long time ago, our kind were driven to the extremes of the world, in exile. We're tired of living, in the case of the Kadzait, in the mountains and the snows. We want to live anywhere we please, and mind our own business."

He shook his head, reminding himself not to get on his soap box. "We're not monsters. We're people, and we're just trying to get by like the rest of the world. The Kadzait will do so with patience and determination, not through bloodshed and violence."
Reign 15 years ago
OK temper tantrum over, although she did make a mental note to yell at Bastian some more if he didn’t get his act together. Apparently she wasn’t shaking this off as well as she had things in the past. Why was this different? Another time.

“Well I’m glad to know you’re not the sneaky type I hate sneaky. You didn’t happen to find anything out while you were not stalking me?”

If only she could get Bas to sit down and –listen- to the man. He wasn’t a threat he was trying to help. She heaved a mental sigh just hoping Bas didn’t do anything rash. Oh hell she probably couldn’t even tell him about this visit, this chat with out pissing him off, who was she kidding?

“I’m guessing your Vyusher R’asa counter parts got shipped off else where. I mean you don’t look a lot a like. And exile from what? Personally I’m not into fighting with large carnivorous creatures for any reason, they bite.”

Yeah and neither of them, the Doc or Bas, exactly looked like vegetarians. There was a reason she’d thrown water and not gotten between them. Oh, she needed to apologize for the soaking thing.

“If I didn’t think you were a person you wouldn’t be in my house right now.” I also wouldn’t be having a fight with my boyfriend, not that that was the Doc’s fault, “Did you want something to drink?”

Bas had told her as much as he could about what he was. But it was good to hear it from another source too. Aidan seemed so much more relaxed with what he was. It was a tough call she didn’t want to keep him if he had places to be but it was damned hard to pass up the information.

“I’m guessing you grew up with your Pack.”
Xeph 15 years ago
Xeph liked Reign's practical streak. She had the presence of mind to ask him for information even as she yelled at him. He shook his head regretfully though, a wry smile twisting his lips up.

"I found out that your yard and house were being regularly bathed in werewolf scent. Before meeting Bastian, I wasn't sure if that was a benign or a malignant presence. Now I know."

Shaking his head again, the wry smile left his face. He wasn't about to go into detailed history with Reign, partly because he didn't know how much Bastian had ever told her. Vampires were a bit much for some people, so he answered her question about exile with one word. "Prejudice."

It was the truth, on a basic level. Vampires won the last war; they got to expel the losers.

"We are different, when we're Changed. The Kadzait are larger, stronger. Our cousins are smaller and more agile."

When Reign offered him a drink, Xeph figured he might be here a little while. The woman obviously had questions, he was in a position to provide answers, and he didn't mind doing so.

"I never turn down a decent brew when it's offered. And yes, I grew up with my Pack. My father was the Alpha."

He didn't elaborate; he would let Reign ask whatever questions she liked instead of filling her head with more information than she could handle.
Reign 15 years ago
Reign was starting to doubt whether it was benign herself. Huh, maybe that had been the last straw, maybe they just couldn't make it work any more. Reign leaned back and considered that for a second and found she wasn't shocked by the idea. Not really.

"I'm glad you know."Â?

She said it with more than a bit of irony but didn't fly off the handle or launch into her personal problems again.

Wrinkling her nose she half frowned/half sneered... she frowneered?... Reign had very little tolerance for prejudice of any sort, even against supernatural creatures. It was the one word answer, though, made her cock her head, as if she were listening for and expecting more. Ok if he didn't want to go into it that was fine, but what the hell kind of person and/or creature would be strong enough to chase off a pack of werewolves. Hell even as a human, or human looking person, she wouldn't have wanted to mess with him. Lord knows the Doc was nice enough but she had no problems imagining he could be intimidating/dangerous when he set his mind to it. Maybe she'd ask Pakpao, the vampire was the oldest person she knew and knew all sorts of random things. Great more to think about.

She laughed when he asked for a beer and stood, knocking some towels to the floor as she did so.

"You really are an Aussie aren't you?"Â?

Every Aussie she'd ever known when offered something to drink always asked for a beer or wine. The fact that the Doc fell into that little stereo type made her laugh just a little even as she pulled out two New Castles from the fridge. Returning she noticed that Sirius had taken to laying between herself and the Doc instead of lurking under the kitchen table as he usually did when she had company.

"Hope this one works for you, it's what I've been drinking lately."Â?

Handing it to him, she gracelessly collapsed back into her seat toppling more of her clean laundry onto the floor but not really noticing, she continued.

"So you've always been a wolf then? I mean turned into a cute little two by four wielding puppy? How does that work?"Â?

Reign felt like she was missing something. She knew, or was fairly certain, that Bastian hadn't been a wolf when they first met. He said it was something that happened latter, and she believed him. But if you grew up with other wolves... Of course having your own kind around while you grew up was probably responsible for him seeming more comfortable with the topic, more open. Reign wasn't sure if Bas was keeping things from her, or just didn't know. Knowing him it might be both. He might stay tight lipped on things to keep her from charging off and getting herself in trouble. But for fuck's sake he might have trusted her too!

She downed a good swallow of her beer and refocused.

"OK you're an Aussie and your Pop was in charge but you're here so I'm guessing there's a pretty fair number of ya'll running around both in this city and all over the place. And based on Lupo's brilliant reaction I'm also guessing you're not all warm and cuddly all the time. How off am I?"Â?

She was also betting he had some kind of authority himself and/or was here on a mission. One didn't lightly move to the east coast from Australia. But she didn't think she'd earned that level of trust yet, so she didn't ask for it.
Xeph 15 years ago
Xeph did not miss the irony in Reign's voice, but he also didn't acknowledge it. He wasn't getting involved in anything even remotely relationship-y. He stuck to the far more comfortable topic of werewolves, and nationality.

"Well technically I'm Scottish," he pointed out, relieving Reign of one beer and thanking her. "I grew up in Canberra mostly though, so that'll do. And I suppose the accent is sort of a clincher."

Her puzzlement over the transition from human to wolf was understandable, and nothing new to Xeph. He'd only Gifted two during his lifetime, but he'd had to explain to new wolves countless times what it all meant.

"No, I was born the same as you," he said by way of explanation. "Being what we are... it's a virus. It doesn't occur naturally. You have to contract the virus, whether by being bitten, given blood, or, in my case, having wolf parents. So it was simple enough to enact the actual conversion, that is, to activate the virus, which lies dormant in the body until it comes in contact with a werewolf. Usually a bite will do."

Xeph rolled up the sleeve of his shirt and showed Reign the ring of scars around his right bicep. "In our Pack this is called Gifting. It's cause for celebration. The scars you get when Gifted are the last ones you'll ever receive, and the Kadzait Make their marks known by the strength and placement of their bite. Anyone in my Pack who sees this will know I was Gifted by Liam Xephier."

Reign's observations were mostly accurate, and Xeph considered his answers before responding again. "There aren't as many of us running around as conspiracy theorists would have you believe, but we aren't as rare as conspiracy theorists would have you believe either. As far as we Kadzait go, there are Packs spread throughout the world."

He said his next bit with a hint of confusion. "I'm actually... well, a little surprised at Bastian's reaction. The Vyusher and the Kadzait have been pretty neutral toward each other for quite some time now. I can't recall any sort of hostilites since before I was Gifted, and that was quite some time ago. I wish I knew why my presence threatened him."

He did, however, shrug, and leave it at that. He couldn't explain Bastian's hangup. Some weres were just territorial, possessive. "Come to thinkof it, my father was very similar. He was aggressive and could easily become violent toward anyone who got to close to my mother."

Naturally though, Xeph had no way of knowing whether or not Bastian was similar. Either way, his mission tonight was simply to impress upon Reign his apology for causing trouble, even unintentionally.
Reign 15 years ago
"Either way you talk a bit funny and you asked for a beer like any Aussie I've ever known. Nature nurture tomato tomahto."Â?

She grinned and shrugged it off.

Huh, funny way to become a werewolf sort of like a bit like the AIDS virus, blood, bodily fluids, sex. ... ... ... Oh. Ummm. Yeah. Sure they were good but not perfect and there were other types of birth control.

Reign went a bit white while she processed this thought. See now, not before, -now- she was scared. The odds were she was a carrier. Wasn't that a fine and dandy thought. Maybe Bastian had told her but she'd forgotten as they tried to get things sorted out and patched up. Oh crap. OK deep breath moving on, think about this later. It didn't do any good to give into fear and until she knew what she was hip deep in she'd just make it a point not to get bit. By -anyone-.

"Sort of like a sweet sixteen party with teeth?"Â?

She quipped regaining some of her spirit.

"OK that's good to hear, I'll quit feeling out numbered then."Â?

If she could explain his reaction to Xeph she would, in a heart beat but Reign too was at a loss. Part of her wanted to tell the Doc what she knew about Bastian's experience and ask for help. But she knew that would be both unforgivable and wrong so she held her tongue.

"Ummm not to pry but how old are you?"Â?

She was certain she remember Bas telling her something about aging or slow ageing, and if the Doc was saying it had been a while since he was what they called Gifted she wanted to know how long that was.

And hearing about his dad did nothing to ease her concerns over Bastian's recent behavior. In fact, they made them worse. It was possible it would get worse. She wasn't handling this little blow out well and if he got worse.... What then? But she'd sworn to herself not to ask any relationship sort of questions so, again, Reign kept her trap shut.

"I can't say either. I'm sorry he jumped ya though. I really am."Â? She did like her vet a great deal and he was taking this so well it wasn't even funny. "I think... I know... he hasn't had quite the same type of .. ... environment. Still no excuses. Oh and no hard feelings about try to drown you right?"Â?

Hey might as well cover all the bases.
Xeph 15 years ago
Xeph gave Reign his most charming smile and said, "Really...we're more afraid of you than you are of us."

He had felt the moment of tension as he'd mentioned contracting GMV. It was almost palpable to one whose senses were more attuned than the normal human's. Given the topic they'd been on at the time, he made his own assumption and said, "You know, you might be carrying the virus, it's true. But we weres are few and far between. The chances of your actually being changed accidentally aren't great."

Maybe she could take some comfort from that, but he would continue to answer her questions as she mulled it over. Age was next, and Xeph shook his head. "I guess a gentleman doesn't get the same consideration as a lady? I'm fifty-five, last I checked."

When Reign apologised for Bastian's behavior, it was difficult for him to restrain his thoughts. By rights, he probably should have ripped Bastian a new one. He knew a great many other weres would have, particularly under attack and with instincts being stimulated ilke that. It wasn't Xeph's way, although if Bastian had pressed, Xeph would have been compelled to... well never mind that. It was over with.

He laughed out loud at Reign's apology for herself. "I have to admit I wasn't expecting a shower," he said. "It was clever though. Sometimes, the instinct to be a wolf can become... overwhelming. I was trying not to let that happen. The water helped."
Reign 15 years ago
“Yeah that’s what Pop told me about bees too but I seem to remember a hive of them trying to kill me too.”

She rolled her eyes at him grinning. Yes, she was going to take that with a grain of salt and not worry about being stalked but not be stupid about it either. She watched the Discovery Channel, wolves traveled in packs didn’t they. Hell the Doc said as much.

She frowned. Trespassing in her head was not welcome, not welcome at all. Alright he wasn’t wrong but sheesh. And while the chances might not be great, they were still there. Of course, she might win the lottery too. It didn’t take Reign long, however, to decide she just wasn’t going to live in fear. She never had before, why should she start now?

“OK so the odds are slim but what happens if I am?”

Reign was actually starting to feel sorry for the Doc. He came to apologize and was being bullied into full disclosure. She wouldn’t have blamed him if he’d just gotten up and walked out. The addition of his age, however, made her groan.

“Lord that’s disgusting Doc. I’m pretty sure I hate you.”

Not that Reign was terribly vain but she was starting to think of herself as old/getting old or at least getting older. Even Hans occasionally gave her hell and asked if she needed the prescription on her glasses updated, if she was having trouble seeing the table.

Oh good he laughed, she was taking that as forgiveness. She grinned back at him. But he brought up something she wanted to ask she just wasn’t quite sure how to say it and it came out even less articulate than usual.

“So ummm.. how do you… I mean how much of you is you and how much of you is wolf?” She made a waving rolling motion with her hand trying to keep going. “When you are a wolf that is. It seemed to me when you left you had some kind of an idea what was going on.”
Xeph 15 years ago
The questions followed a natural course, and Xeph wasn't hesitant to answer him. Sure, a part of him was slightly self-serving. He'd often thought Reign would make an excellent wolf, and he knew she was trustworthy. He didn't see any problem with enlightening her.

"If you're bitten? Well, depending on who bit you there might be a different outcome. Sooner or later you would be compelled to seek out your Pack... you will belong to the same Pack as whoever did the biting. There's no getting around that. As far as physically? Well, you'll run a fever for a bit but after that you'll notice sights, scents, and sounds are much more alive. Then of course there's the full moon. The night of, before, and after. That's when we can't control the Change at all."

It was the short short version but Xeph wasn't willing to hand Reign everything on a silver platter, after all.

"It's different for everyone," he said thoughtfully. "There's a certain amount of, well, feral instinct that needs fulfilling. The need to hunt, the need to persue. Some thirst for the kill, others are content to chase. During the full moon, you're far more wolf than human and it's unavoidable. When the moon isn't full you have some measure of control over your Change. When I visited your house, I was mostly in possession of my faculties."

He shook his head. "Bastian's attack aroused a good deal of... well, dominant behavior. I can't say if you hadn't thrown that water on his, things wouldn't have gotten nasty. Sometimes, regrettably, it's involuntary. I didn't want to hurt him, but it could have been unavoidable if you hadn't done what you did. That took guts."

Again the grin, because it still made him laugh to have had his Big Bad Wolf routine doused by a girl with a bucket.
Reign 15 years ago
Right, note to self, meet this other Pack before getting bitten. Reign had reservations about Bastian’s Pack, primarily because he’d been accidentally changed and then more or less abandoned. That just didn’t speak highly of them. Of course, in all fairness, the Doc here could be an outstanding example of another wise less than trust worthy group. Yeah, she was going with plan A – don’t get bitten. Defiantly her favorite right now.

OK so we had a mafia thing going on here once you were in the family you were in. no changing the party you were registered with. That was good to know.

She nodded, yeah that bit she knew the being required to change and when.

Ha! She was right. The Doc did have some pull, at least in his Pack. When a bit stressed Reign took a great deal of joy in minor victories. Her lips twisted in a wry smile.

“Yeah, I’ve been told it was a little stupid. Thinking before I jump in has never been my forte I’m afraid.”

OK to be fair Bas hadn’t said it was stupid. He was just irritated she’d exposed herself to a dangerous situation. Not that this was the first time she’d ever done such a thing and it wouldn’t be the last.

One last question percolated to the surface.

“OK so ya’ll have got this driven to the ends of the earth because of some nasty prejudice thing. I know that would put one hell of a chip on my shoulder, I guess what I’m trying to say is how do you feel about run of the mill homo sapiens?”
Xeph 15 years ago
"I don't recall using the term 'stupid,'" Xeph pointed out. "It was the perfect thing to do, and very sensible. It just took guts, is all."

He gave a dry laugh at her use of the term "nasty prejudice thing." It was, in his opinion, a bit more than a 'thing' when your people were forced to live in environmental extremes for centuries because of an age-old grudge, but Xeph wasn't going to argue semantics here and now. Instead, he addressed the question at hand.

"I can't speak for Bastian's Pack," he said frankly. "While we're not at odds, we still tend to keep to ourselves. I'm not familiar with their customs. The Kadzait, however, welcome on occasion humans we trust and consider Pack, even without their ever having been Gifted. We call them Illamar, and they receive the same rights and privileges as any Amaroq. We expect the same loyalty as well."

He considered for a moment and then added, "In the past, it wasn't always so. The generation before mine, and many before that, considered Illamar to be inferior. It took a good deal of research to discover that was not always the case; in fact, our forefathers were initially very close to the Illamar in our Pack. Over the past thirty five years or so we've moved back to that way of thought. There are still a few holdouts, older, more traditional members, but they cause little trouble."

Xeph had thus far avoided mentioning his status within the Pack; the reason, he figured, was twofold. First, he didn't want to make Reign nervous or apprehensive. More importantly, though, Bastian didn't seem to have recognized him and that said something. Would it exacerbate the trouble he'd caused for Bastian to know Xeph had toyed with him that night? No Alpha became Alpha without having the skills and abilities to back them.

No, for the time being it was enough to give Reign limited information. She was no Illamar, to be presented with every intimate Pack detail. But in her case, he felt her education had been sorely neglected. She was an intelligent woman with half of the knowledge she should have, to be living in close proximity to werewolves. Protecting someone was one thing, but setting them up for failure because they lacked the proper facts to make informed decisions was another entirely.
Reign 15 years ago
"Do I have to do the tomato tamahto thing again?"Â?

She quipped with a half grin. Funny how two different people saw things... well differently. Bastian had been so busy trying to protect her he didn't want to let her help, like she was going to stay in an ivory tower. Ack! She was getting mad again. Where was that man when she needed to shout more?

At the Doc's odd laugh Reign raised her eyebrows, silently asking him to educate the savage. He probably wouldn't, probably some deep dark werewolf secret and that was OK. She really didn't expect him to tell her -everything- he was her vet and yeah she considered him a friend but still this wasn't his job to teach her Werewolf 101.

Right, mental 'to do list': 1. don't get bitten by a werewolf; 2. yell at Bas some more; 3. meet this other pack. Reign was quickly realizing she was not happy about being kept in the dark about her boyfriends new found family.

"I'm guessing Amaroq refers to a full fledged werewolf."Â?

Other than that Reign simply nodded. It sounded like her family blood was thicker than water and all that and the blood ties weren't always genetic you adopted people and they became kin. But sometimes people didn't agree on who to adopt or you had things that split loyalties... look at her and Vince that had some serious repercussion that were just -now- starting to settle down.

"You probably think I'm an idiot for dating a werewolf and not knowing most of this. And I'm thinking you're right. Not to drag you into relationship land but I was so busy, so worry about the human side of thing I didn't even think about the wolf. I did at first but he keeps that side of him pretty private so I let him. That might have been a mistake, it sounds like it's all mixed up together."Â?

Again it was on the tip of her tongue to ask him how he dealt with being a werewolf and dating, hell maybe she should ask the gal he was will the night they were all bowling. If she knew she sure didn't seem to mind. But, yeah not gonna happen.

Suddenly switching topics she asked,

"Am I missing anything any pertinent questions secret handshakes major taboos or gang signs?"Â?

Reign was officially on a mission to learn all this wolf stuff and learn it fast.
Xeph 15 years ago
Xeph watched Reign's face, trying to guess at her thoughts but failing. Instinct could only take him so far, and he imagined the chances of being bitten, perhaps, made her nervous. He wished he could offer her reassurance there, but he wouldn't make promises he couldn't keep.

"In the Kadzait, yes. An Amaroq is a full-fledged Pack member, already Gifted. The Illamar are those Pack members who aren't Gifted. We hope, eventually, to have more Illamar around. So far they're few and far between, but that is partly because of the legacy left by my father and the beliefs of a long time past."

Xeph shook his head. "The Pack no longer tolerates anything but equality for humankind. Just because we were subject to prejudice doesn't mean we need to take an eye for an eye."

He tilted his head at her when she speculated about his opinion of her. Frowning a little he said, "My opinion is that were I to date a human, I would hope that we would eventually reach a level of trust at which she not only knows what I am, but what that means as well. I wouldn't send her off half-aware."

He was loathe to voice any opinion of her personal life; as far as he was concerned it wasn't his business, but it was difficult to avoid the topic when she brought it up so he added his standard disclaimer. "Mind you, I'm not the one to talk to about relationships. I've had things on my mind for the past few years that sort of made the opposite sex far more mysterious and unapproachable than it otherwise might have been."

He raised an eyebrow at her when she mentioned taboos and gang signs. "Don't talk about fight club," he suggested. It wasn't as if he thought she'd discuss this with anyone else, but it did need to be said. "We don't take kindly to folks we trust with this sort of information who decide to spill it to those who shouldn't know at all. But aside from that I'm afraid there's nothing I can give you. No secret handshakes, nothing of the like. The few Illamar I've seen have taken to wearing a particular emblem that identifies them from the average human, but otherwise no... we blend."
Reign 15 years ago
Reign sighed, scowled at her beer, which was long past empty and set the bottle on the table next to a clean pair of socks. Such an odd conversation to be having in her own living room with laundry waiting to be folded and the reassuring smell of fabric softener in the air. Of course what was the proper environment for something like this? Bah!

The names, the words he used were totally foreign to her. Something that Reign, who spoke Latin, wasn't accustom to; most of the time she could hear a root word. They didn't sound Asian either. Deciding it wasn't important right now she just did her best to learn the terms.

"I never would have thought about werewolves having a social revolution. Mind you it sounds like a good one and I approve. Hell of a lot of respect for the humans that hang round with you. That must take a lot of trust from both sides."Â?

It was said with nothing short of sincerity and a bit of admiration. The only way to fix society was to start with your self.

His little relationship disclaimer made Reign look at him very -very- hard. Finally, though, she decided not to say anything. One date in a bowling alley did not a relationship make and this sure didn't seem like first date material. Although it didn't look like a first date; nope, none of her business and she wouldn't dream of asking him to even remotely hint about things that might compromise what he was obviously trying to protect. She understood protecting family, but she might call her mother and just check in with her. Other than that, she just grinned.

"It looked like you had a very nice date Doc."Â?

And mentally she wished him all the best with that.

'Don't talk about fight club.'

Reign had to bite her lip to keep from laughing and the only reason she managed is because as silly as that sounded and as much as she wanted to say something about Bob's bitch tits she could hear how serious he was.

"Fair enough. I'm sort of surprised and a bit flattered you told me as much as you did."Â?

Truth of the matter was Reign wasn't even sure how much she'd share with Bas. Probably not a lot. He'd undoubtedly know the Doc had been her... worry about that later.

"Ummm.. yeah just out of morbid curiosity is there any way you can tell for sure if I'm carrying this virus?"Â?
Xeph 15 years ago
Xeph reminded him not to get on his soap box, but he couldn't restrain a little excitement at Reign's interest in this social revolution.

"That's exactly what it was," Xeph said. "It took some digging, but we eventually discovered that humans and Kadzait once worked side by side, and I think we could make it there again. That part of why we won't condone violence to secure our place in the world."

He checked himself, tapped a finger against his beer bottle, and then clarified. "All right... I should say, we won't start anything. But if it's started against us we'll sure as hell finish it."

There was a grimness to his tone as he considered recent events with the Pipers, Hammer, and Marthinus. He would never be happy about that outcome. He wasn't going to dwell on that right now though, in Reign's living room.

"You needed to know," was all he said about Reign's flattery comment. "If I was to come and apologise for trouble caused, at any rate."

He shook his head at her last question. Then he cleared his throat, started to speak, and stopped. Well, that was sort of a delicate subject. Sure, he was used to having doctor-type conversations, but patients in gowns were a lot more formal than sitting here on Reign's couch.

"There's one surefire way and that's for me to bite you now and see if you turn into a Kadzait next week. Otherwise, uh, I think you would know better than me if there were any sort of.. infectious vector introduced to your body."

There, that was about the best he could manage. "No test we know of will show the virus."

He offered her an apologetic shrug. It was all the information he could give her. Short of biting her now, there was no way for him to tell her for certain if she was a carrier.