Good Fences Make Good Neighbors (PM for invite please)

Pak loved her 'Lil Bird. She'd made Kem help her get the hard top off and stored because it was an extremely nice night out. She wished it was a full moon, but you couldn't have everything. She swung the car easily down the streets now torn between enjoying herself and sulking. Either the drive or the company was perking her up and she wasn't sure which. She also wasn't convinced she wanted to be, or even deserved to be, perked up.

"Are you ever going to get a new car?"Â?

She did feel a hair bad about his BMW but it had been a life or death situation. And as bad as she felt about his car she was grateful it wasn't hers. How the hell did one replace a car like this. Especially one that had only one owner from new.

Knowing Kem had no car she pulled into his driveway; at least she wasn't blocking any one. She wasn't sure what the hell he intended and she didn't care either. She'd put in her hours tonight and if IT needed her they could get her.

Scanning up and down the street she ask.

"Which one?"Â?

As she got out of the car and started to put the top back on so she could lock it. Not that she was paranoid or anything. But if this car got stolen, it would be bad.

Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem grinned at Pak. "Oh yes. I'm getting a new car. You'll see it when it gets here. I think I've even convinced Aishe to get herself a car too."

He still wished she'd let him buy one for her, but he would never offer. Aishe was proud of being self-sufficient, even though she had definitely softened some, in that regard. Besides, as a result of his brainstorm with Nic a few weeks back he had some other gift ideas. it was just a matter of finding the perfect one and timing when to give it to her. That last might have to wait for a little while, but he hadn't forgotten.

As they pulled up into the driveway, Kem unfolded himself from the passenger seat and helped Pak put the top back on the Bird. When she asked, he pointed in the direction of Reign's house.

"That's it."

When they finished he went, not into the house, but around the back of it. "I have a feeling Aishe will be out here."
Aishe 15 years ago
It hadn't taken her too long to run her errands earlier, in spite of walking both ways. Now she was well-fed and had a new fence to put up. Werewolf or just plain dog, Aishe wasn't going to take any chances that any more of her nocturnal pals turned into hors d'ouvres. She had bought several pieces of lattice, the kind that looked liked white wood but were really plastic reinforced with steel, and was laying them about the base of the porch, staple gun off to the side, ready to attach the pieces to the wood.

She'd left enough space for a small opening, and while in retrospect she wasn't sure these would keep a werewolf out, she hoped they would at least be a deterrent.

Sitting in the slightly damp grass, Aishe's raccoons had ventured out to greet her. They had all known each other for months now, and the little 'coons trusted her and Kem both. Aishe had done some research at the library, and her raccoons seemed fairly typical. There was a mother and a litter of four little ones as of this past mid-April. The father, who had lived in the woods beyond the back yard, was the one who had met his unfortunate end a few nights ago.

While Aishe was more attached to the mother and her babies, she had been sorry to see any of them injured. Still, a little selfish part of her was thankful that the little raccoon pups weren't the ones that had been chased. She was determined to protect them from any further stress; they were barely two months old.

Now, though, the five of them were all present. The mother sat next to Aishe while the four pups tumbled in and out iof her lap, playing with each other. Suddenly five masked faces popped up and looked at the corner of the house. Kem and Pak appeared, making their way toward where she sat.

The mother raccoon hopped away a few steps but the babies, familiar with both Aishe and Kem, stayed in a fuzzy pile in Aishe's lap.

Not even trying to conceal her pleasure, Aishe smiled. "Pak! You've brought Kem back! I was wondering when he'd be home, I certainly didn't expect him so soon!"
Pakpao 15 years ago
"About damned time."Â?

She said about both of them. She applauded Aishe for making do with out a car for so long but there came a point where it was good to have it, even if you didn't use it every day. Kem... well when Kem got his new car she'd feel a little less guilty about the other one. Not that she was overly burdened by guilt about his car to begin with but a little.

Hmmm... Pak made note of Reign's house. Maybe she'd drop in some day. That would be, a surprise. The house itself wasn't anything flashy, she didn't think it would be. Pak was more interested in where it was than anything. Pak also felt the blond was going to wind up walking into a mountain of trouble here in Nachton. But she wasn't going to deal with that now.

Instead she followed Kem around the side of the house, more than a bit curious.

"Why?"Â?

If she had to guess it had to do with the fuzz balls in Aishe's lap. Pak grinned some what sheepishly at Aishe's greeting. Yay! More guilt. But maybe her little melt down had some positive side effects.

"I think he just wanted me out of the way. I don't think he intended for me to follow him home."Â?

Pak was fairly certain that was the case. Kem had been pretty annoyed with her, ok yes she could understand why she admitted to herself, and obviously wanted her to leave him to his work. But... well now they were both here.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem left Pak for a moment to crouch down next to Aishe, kiss her lightly on the lips, and stroke the baby 'coons on their soft little foreheads. Then, straightening, he turned back to their friend.

"There was a dog in the yard a few nights ago. A big one. We think he ate the father."

There was no sense alarming Pak with werewolf stories. She'd find out soon enough what the truth of it was.

Then, with a brief smile at their guest he said, "Oh no. I intended you to come home."

He just kind of planned on ditching Pak here at some point. He had to get back to work. Soon. Maybe not this second, but soon.
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe chuckled at the two vampires as they approached. She returned Kem's light kiss happily, her arms and lap full of squirming raccoon. Apparently the little ones were eager for their share of attention. Momma coon had moved off into the shelter of the back porch; she wasn't as adventurous as the little ones, who had known Kem and Aishe since they were born. They were far more ready to trust Pak, and were peeking out from over and under Aishe's left arm to get a glimpse of the newcomer.

[So... I'm guessing you're going to stay at Meridian all day to make up for this?] she sent to Kem.

There was no accusation in her tone; Aishe understood, through the dual use of their mutual bond and her empathy, how focused Kem was on his job. It wasn't for her to approve or disapprove of. She understood what he meant to do and knew he wasn't under an unreasonable amount of stress.

To Pak, she said, "Anyone who can get him home in the middle of the night is okay by me. I suppose I should have tried to drag him out myself but i was preoccupied." She gestured at her project. "Latent nesting behavior or something!"
Pakpao 15 years ago
Pak watched the fuzz balls with curiosity and a bit of trepidation. In all her years she'd never had a pet, not really. She'd had a canary once, probably when she was living in Paris it seemed to her and she had her two fish now. None of those animals inspired petting or playing.

She wrinkled her nose in distaste at the idea of a big dog invading and eating one the critters.

"Stray?"Â?

She rolled her eyes at Kem and quipped back.

"You just wanted me out of your office."Â?

That was at least partially true but the statement this time was without accusation or malice. She'd moved past that, besides he was being so damned nice and she really was trying to get her head on straight again. So it was much closer to their usual banter than anything.

Not feeling too great about Aishe's comment given the circumstances, she fidgeted a bit with her badge, which was still clipped to her pants, and ambled up to the porch leaning against it to get a better look.

"I'm voting for 'or something'. When did you get a family of raccoons under your porch any way? How did I miss this?"Â?
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Since Aishe was covered in baby raccoon, Kem knelt next to the first section of lattice and placed it against the base of the patio. Shaking his head at Pak, he said, "I don't know. At first we thought it was Reign's dog Sirius, but he hasn't been out unattended."

He grinned and couldn't deny it when she claimed he wanted her out of his office. "Maybe out of my office, but not necessarily out of my hair, or would I have dragged you here of all places?"

Okay, maybe Pak had a point. He fully intended to go back to Meridian and finish what he'd begun, but he was planning on going back without her! Pak and Aishe got along quite well, and if he knew Pak's feelings at all, he was guessing she'd been feeling slightly neglected lately. And he had only himself to blame for that, he admitted. He'd been a pretty poor big brother and friend the last few weeks.

Not to mention boyfriend, he thought with a grimace as Aishe's private sending reached him.

[I'm afraid that's a possibility, merit,] he responded in kind, [but Pak did have a point. I'm sorry I've been so tunnel-visioned. I'll try to keep it in perspective.]

Pressing the staple gun to the lattice he fired away... and surprised himself as a sound like a gunshot echoed throughout the neighborhood.

"Oops." He put the staple gun aside. "Maybe... some nails."

Locking the trigger on the staple gun, he jogged off toward the front of the house to get some quieter tools; the neighbors had kids and even if that hadn't been the case he certainly didn't want to wake anyone up.
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe watched as the boldest of the babies tumbled out of her lap and cautiously approached Pak, little black nose wriggling away. While she coon-sat, she explained to Pak, "Last year it was just the adults. I don't think they ever had a litter, or if they did they kept them in the woods. This year momma-coon decided our back porch was the safest place for the pups, so in she came. I can't help it," she added, "They're very chatty."

She had no idea how much or how little other animals talked, but the raccoons in their neighborhood were all very lively. Particularly at night, when they emerged from the thin strip of woodland behind the hosues on their side of the street and foraged in backyards and gargabe cans for whatever they could find.

Holding a second conversation with Kem as they went, she smiled over at him. [It's okay,] she said. [I understand. I'm not going anywhere. Things will settle down soon enough.]

That much, she felt, was true. She knew Kem was juggling a lot of responsibility, and as soon as he adjusted to the workload he'd be able to manage their personal schedule better. She had waited long enough for him; being patient now was no hardship.

When the staple gun went off, Aishe gave a surprised squeak as three sets of baby-claws dug into her jeans and the raccoons all scrabbled away from the noise. Momma-coon retreated further under the porch and the pups, all but the one, hid behind Aishe. The brave one ran back towards her a bit, but didn't hide, and sat up on his back legs as Kem jogged around the house in search of nails and a hammer.

Smiling at the baby, Aishe observed, "This little guy seems a lot bolder than the rest. I guess there's one in every litter."
Pakpao 15 years ago
“Well give them some extra protection is probably for the best then.”

Against her better judgment Pak had to admit, they were cute. She held out her hand to them, just to let them get a sniff, she didn’t make any move to touch them. They didn’t have CPUs or gills it was possible she could break them.

Nodding to the fence Kem was putting up she returned in kind.

“For my inexpensive and immaculate skills as a handy man from the look of things.”

She might occasionally pretend she’d never set foot out of doors and didn’t do physical labor, but Pak had started life on a farm. Fix that, tote this, jury rig the other were not foreign concepts to her. And this particular job didn’t seem to take too much though or effort any way.

Pak raised a questioning eyebrow at Aishe as she very softly touched the top of one furry head. It must be odd to be able to talk to animals, any animal.

“What do they have to say?”

Some how she didn’t think they were great conversationalists, but you never knew. Maybe the recited Shakespeare.

That train of thought was interrupted by a small explosion. Pak jumped, completely unprepared for the sound of the staple gun.

“Oh good instead of a few staples you’re going to be pounding nails for the next half an hour. I’m sure your neighbors will love that.”

It was a no win situation and she knew it. Kem was probably right. Any one of the three of them would be able to relatively quickly drive a few nails, and probably keep the noise down. She just wanted to give him hell.

She found herself not –quite- smiling at the one that hadn’t hidden.

“Of course there is, there has to be a trail blazer after all.”
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem didn't respond to Pak, instead he went and rummaged around in his garage and returned quickly, holding up his prize.

"Rubber head hammer," he said. "No noise!" Well, relatively little noise anyway. The staple gun would have been nice, but he was capable of improvising.

Sitting down on the grass, he fished a nail out of his pocket. Holding it up and giving an experimental tap to center his aim, he popped the nail in in one shot with a dull thud that was way better than the report of the staple gun. Working his way down he affixed the lattice to the porch with five nails in all, each easily tapped in place once. Telekinesis was awfully useful for such things; without it, Kem would likely have pounded his fingers into next year, but as it was he could hold a nail steady without touching it.

Oh, the mundane uses for fantastic mental powers... priceless.

As he worked the boldest raccoon came to watch. This one was clearly Aishe's favorite, and Kem had to admit the little guy was pretty brash. For a raccoon, that was saying something.

He simply smiled along at the conversation between Aishe and Pak as he hammered as softly as opssible, one little raccoon pup looking on curiously.

As he did though, he sent to Aishe, [You're being far too understanding. I might get suspicious if you keep it up.]
Aishe 15 years ago
"They have interesting observations about people," Aishe said in response to Pak's question about the raccoons. "I can't help but feel like living under our porch is changing them though. Normally they stick to topics like food. I think the first thing they want to know about anything is if they can eat it. If not, then they want to play with it. If they can't do either of those they lose interest. They're a lot like cats."

She laughed a little, tumbling the smallest raccoon over gently and tickling its belly. Kem returned from the front of the house with a hammer in hand, and with the staple gun out of the way, the raccoons were all fairly inquisitive again. The mother stayed back under the porch, but the pups played freely even with Pak there.

"I think it's made a difference to the little ones here, to be raised near someone who speaks the language."

Aishe frowned then. "I'm a little afraid they'll grow too trusting, but that's why we don't really let them in the house or anything like that. We can take care of them out here just as well, and they can keep on being normal wild raccoons."

To Kem, she responded with a little smile, [I'm saving all this work up against my "Vacation alone with Kiamhaat" fund. Don't worry, all the overtime you put in now is coming back to me later this year.]

She kept it lighthearted; she didn't want him worrying about her on top of everything else and she really did understand... that, and she really was kidnapping him for a vacation.
Pakpao 15 years ago
“Cheater.”

She accused Kem. But she watched him as he started driving nails in. Absently she started helping, picking up a nail so he could position it and hold it or half steadying the trellis. She didn’t try to make trouble though, no pulling things away or knocking them of center.

Pak gave a half laugh.

“I wouldn’t know. I’ve never had a cat.”

Maybe she should get one. It might be nice to have something else living about her rooms. The fish were nice but not quite social or interactive. It was something to think about.

She sat down on the porch, no, she wasn’t a prima donna but she did still have on part of one of her better suits and sitting on damp grass wasn’t in the cards.

Watching the pups was relaxing, it took her mind off things. It was evident they had their own language even without Aishe there to interpreter.

“Well they don’t seem to be exactly shy, but the raccoons I’ve known haven’t been shrinking violets. Still you’re right, these guys will grow up with a different outlook on things. I suppose there is no way around that though. Not without chasing them off and with that dog running about that doesn’t seem like a good idea. Does it?”
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem looked up at Pak and gave her a smile and a nod of thanks when she began lending a hand. He hadn't actually brought her here to help put up a fence, but it had been obvious that staying at Meridian was causing more stress than it was worth, at least for her. Besieds, there was something base and fundamentally satisfying in working with their hands, for no other purpose than to keep their little raccoon family safe.

Kem chuckled when Pak mentioned never having had a cat. "Want one?" he asked jokingly. "You can borrow Zoe, Aishe won't mind."

He threw a glance over his shoulder. His cat never gave Aishe the time of day regardless of her many efforts to build a good relationship. She bought her treats and tidbits; even tuna steak on occasion, and Zoe wouldn't even so much as let her pet her. Aishe always took it pretty well, but Kem had a feeling the raccoons' safety meant even more to her because of it.

Letting the two of them continue their chat, he sent to Aishe, [One nice long vacation. You're on.]
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe grinned at the idea of sending Zoe home with Pak for a little while. Cat-camp. Who knew, it might be good for them both.

She shrugged at Pak. "I don't know what it is. She just doesn't like me. I think maybe she's jealous."

She wouldn't be that surprised if that were the case. Dogs got jealous, why not cats?

Continuing, she said, "It had occurred to me to chase them off. I know myself. I wasn't going to be able to leave a littler of baby raccoons alone. Look at them, they're so cute!"

With a little sheepish smile, she said, "But I do try to stay out of their lives, in general. We give them a little treat here and there if foraging hasn't turned up anything, but we try not to bother them much. Their getting used to us has been unavoidable though."

Lifting one little pup, she cuddled it for a moment, her finger gently tracing its black mask. It grabbed her finger in its own impressive little hands and sniffed it thoroughly before releasing it and squirming to get down and join its brother and sisters in play.

"Do you think that's a bad thing though? I can't help wondering if any kindness we show now will turn on them when they're older."
Pakpao 15 years ago
Pak chuffed at the idea of borrowing a cat. She was actually semi tempted, you test drove a car why not take a pet out for a spin, but ultimately knew she wouldn’t take Kem up on his offer.

“No, I think you’re stuck with your cat. Besides, she might eat my fish.”

She watched Aishe and the raccoon pups. Aishe seemed much more influenced by cute than she’d ever been. Maybe that was part of what was wrong with her, she was too cynical, possibly not accepting enough, to much mind not enough heart. That might explain her moods. Or, maybe it didn’t, maybe she was just messed up.

Snapping out of it, Pak shook her head.

“Oh it will probably show, but maybe for the better. I mean its not like they’re running off seeking people out, they just seem more curious.”

After all the little critters hadn’t just assumed familiarity with Pak. They’d come up to her now and a gain but for the most part run off. Since she wasn’t making any sudden or threatening moves, they’d gotten a bit bolder, but still didn’t seem to trust her entirely.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Thinking about feisty Zoe living in Pak's apartment on the thirty-first floor Kem nodded agreeably. "Oh, she'd definitely eat your fish." Zoe was, like most cats, remarkably self-sufficient. In the few years Kem had had her, he'd discovered all kinds of delightful presents on the mat at the back door. Mice, rabbits, birds, bits of them mostly, that were not deemed suitable for consumption but made excellent cat-presents.

He turned to watch the bold raccoon still watching him. It had gotten hold of a fallen nail and was holding it, two-fisted, as it sat on its haunches and sniffed it. It looked up at Kem inquisitively, seeming uninclined to let go of its treasure.

"They're too curious for their own good. I hope if our visitor comes back again another night, they stay put under here and make very little noise."

He, like Aishe, was concerned for the well-being of the furry family. He had to wonder, though, if it had indeed been a werewolf roaming the neighborhood that night and last night, how much control did they have over themselves? Both Reign and Bastian had observed that it seemed to be smirking or laughing, both evidence of higher intelligence and presence of mind.

So... why kill an animal if you were in your right mind? Kem didn't understand it, but then, there was much to be discovered about these werewolves.

The lattice was half-finished, and it had only been about fifteen minutes or so. He had time to complete the task before heading back to Meridian, and it allowed Aishe some snuggle-time with the babies, which he knew she was enjoying.

"Last half, then I really have to go back to work." He gave Pak an apologetic smile. "I was hoping you and Aishe might be able to do something together."

Which reminded him. "Oh, are you aware that Pak here knows our neighbor? It's a small world."
Aishe 15 years ago
The raccoons were growing bold now with the prolonged contact, gripping Aishe's hair and playing with it as if it were a rope toy. Watching the lattice go up, she felt at least a small measure of satisfaction that if they did have another night time visit, perhaps the structures would give the raccoons time to flee, if nothing else.

She knew Kem intended to go back to work, and hoped Pak would opt to stay here for a little while. Aishe was certainly not the sort to sit around and do nothing on her night off, but she wouldn't say no to company either, not by any stretch of the imagination.

When Kem spoke up next, she raised her brows questioningly at Pak. "You know Reign?" She assumed that was the neighbor Kem meant, since they'd been over there earlier that evening and she was the only neighbor they really had much contact with. "Did you meet her here in Nachton?"
Pakpao 15 years ago
“Curious doesn’t mean stupid. I’m sure with this little help,’ She nodded to the fence, “they’ll be just fine if the mongrel comes back.”

Pak lightly mentally tugged at the nail the one raccoon was holding. She didn’t pull hard she wasn’t out to hurt or upset the little thing, just see what he made of his prize trying to escape.

Shaking her head as Kem announced he’d be escaping, Pak kept her mouth shut. She’d been enough of a pain in the ass for one night and if he really felt he –had- to go, this time she wouldn’t fight him.

“You can take the T-Bird, as long as you promise not to drive it through a wall of zombies or scratch the paint, I’ll walk back later.”

She really did think Kem needed to take more time off, she just couldn’t see what was so damned important. But guilt and pity were poor reasons to keep company about, and Pak was certain Kem was feeling something of both and that’s why he’d gotten her out of the Towers and was trying to take her mind off whatever it was that was bothering her.

Pak nodded as the question turned back to Reign.

“I’ve only run into her once here in Nachton. We met in Chicago a while ago, I wound up sponsoring her when she first started on the pro tour.”
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Pak must really be feeling bad about something if she was willing to part with her baby for the night. Kem debated whether to take her up on it. On the one hand it was a bit of a hike back to Meridian on foot, and borrowing Pak's car would sure help cut that down. On the other hand, he didn't want to make Pak walk back home either.

Then again, she did owe him one BMW. Maybe a ride in her Bird was in order after all.

"I promise not to key your car or use it for crowd control," he said with all sincerity. There was a smile on his lips as he said it; he was restraining himself from making an off-handed comment about the death of his own car. Obviously Pak was in a bad mood; he didn't want to exacerbate that by bringing up past issues.

The idea of getting back to work made him speed up just the smallest bit. He was almost done, and remembering that he'd left his office worse than when he'd arrived was a good motivator.
Aishe 15 years ago
Aishe watched as the little raccoon's shiny toy slipped out of his agile little paws. He pounced on it and then tugged on it when it apparently began to tug back. There was a minor tug-of-war happening. It would appear from her look of concentration that Pak was the one doing the tugging; Aishe knew she and Kem had that particular talent in common, but Kem was quite absorbed with his hammering.

The remaining three raccoons finally had enough and were making their way back under the porch to their mother, stopping to inspect the new lattice before giving it a respectable berth as they disappeared into the dark. She could see their eyes as they tumbled around on top of mom, reflecting now and then in the dim light.

Turning her attention back to Pak, Aishe said, "I didn't realize pool players had sponsors."

It made sense, she supposed. Race car drivers had sponsors. "What exactly do you have to do? Or her, for that matter? Does she have to wear your name on her shirt or something?"

The mysteries of sports and copetition eluded Aishe. How would sponsoring a pool player work, as opposed to sponsoring a Little League team or something of the like?