I'll Pencil You In (open)

Kem had never seen any reason to take more space in the archives for himself aside from one of the simple workstations in the public area. Since taking on double duty, however, that had changed and he had moved himself into the single, vacant office in the archives which afforded him a little more room and some privacy from too-curious eyes.

Unlocking and entering the office, he realized with dismay that it was cluttered. He hated clutter. His desk space was almost always sparkling clean, neat, organized, and perfectly arranged. Now the desk was piled with papers, files, folders, reports, loan requests, clan business and archive business all in heaps overflowing onto the floor.

He grimaced and put his laptop bag down in the corner. Before getting to work, he would clean his desk. It was technically his night off... he was allowed to spend some of it cleaning.

With a sigh, he picked up the hated planner on his desk. It used to be empty; he'd hated using it. Now it was full of his meticulous handwriting. He'd had to start using it, to keep up with everything. Meetings, emails, things to arrange... it was all there to add additional stress to his evening. Yay.

The evening had started out oddly, with their little visit to Reign and Bastian's, and apparently it was not quickly going to get better. Certainly not so by staring at this mes and whining about it in his inner monologue. With a yawn and a stretch, Kem got to work on organizing everything.

Pakpao 15 years ago
It was very hard to arrange interviews when one didn't keep normal business hours. Typically Pak scheduled interviews for late in the afternoon and used a conference room with no windows, it kept people asking why she didn't open the blinds, or she let one of the managers handle interviewing and she just gave final approval. Usually it was the later. But these two positions were working for her. She needed a new assistant, her previous one had a kid and didn't want to juggle the odd hours any more, and there was a manager position open too.

So she'd been at work for quite a while now. On top of that, tonight had been a total strike out. This meant the two positions were still open and that depressed her. Chocolate seemed reasonable. Now she could have gotten something from the mall or even the vending machines on her floor, but Kem had showed her the archive machines. She liked those better, besides, she needed the walk.

Feeling slightly over dressed, a lovely charcoal suit with a red pin stripe and a red silk blouse and red -very- high heels, she wandered down way down into what was usually Kem's domain. She'd seen both too much and not enough of him lately. He hadn't been social but he'd been at the towers day and night it seemed, and nearly every day. She didn't approve. Finding her chocolate, a Milky way dark, Pak decided to breeze through the archives and make sure Kem -wasn't- there. If she had his schedule down it was his day off. Although he could be working from home. She should make MARI cut off his remote access, hmmmm... that was heavy duty though. She'd save that.

Of course. He was here. She muttered 'stupid ass' under her breath in her native tongue before strolling into his office, with out asking or knocking, and simply sat down in the chair across from him, putting her feet up on his desk and munching the candy bar. She had a bet with herself how long it would take him to notice her.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
He heard someone approach before he actually saw who it was who had rounded the corner, but he didn't stop what he was doing, separating all the paperwork on his desk and sorting it all out into piles. When an astonishingly well-dressed Pak entered the room he looked up and smiled briefly.

"Pak... interviews today?" While Dani, thankfully, had continued running Meridian largely on her own, Kem had kept an eye on some of the comings and goings of employees. Combined with Pak's frequent emails he knew she had a few vacancies to fill, and there was no way she'd have dressed for work like this unless she had something going on.

Still, his hands kept busy and he didn't divert his attention for long. "Find anyone good?"

Meridian was a great place to work, whether human or vampire. Kem wouldn't be surprised if she'd been innundated with applications. Interviewing could take her days. Maybe weeks.
Pakpao 15 years ago
Oh! He looked up before she finished the candy. She'd lost her bet, but, maybe that meant he wasn't that far gone. In fact, they might be able to save him yet. Damned workaholics. Of course she could do the same thing on occasion but some how that wasn't the same.

"Yes. In fact I've had three offers and am seriously considering the one with Dubine."Â?

It had been that joke or one about Dani deciding Kem was a tyrant and she'd applied for one of the IT positions. But somehow she didn't think Kem would buy that at all. This one he might actually look up.

Pak popped the last of the candy bar in her mouth and licked two of her fingers that had gotten slightly caramel covered.

Maybe she should have kept the caramel on her fingers and gotten his desk all sticky, she was willing to bet that would get his full attention. It would probably get her yelled at too and Pak wasn't in the mood for yelling. Instead she moved her feet so they anchored what looked like a few phone messages down on his desk.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem cracked a smile as he opened the file cabinet in the corner and slid two folders in, without stopping what he was doing at his desk.

"I'll tell Ellis you come highly recommended," he said, playing along with Pak for the time being. "She'll be thrilled, I'm sure."

As Pak moved her red (and probably incredibly dangerous) shoes over a bit, he noted the messages she was covering up.

"Oh shit."

Lifting her feet with one hand and grabbing his now-abused planner with the other, he yanked one of the messages up off the desk and re-settled it in front of him, replacing Pak's feet and sntaching up his pen.

"I was supposed to call that guy."

He finally looked up at Pak and winced. "Last week."

Kem was afraid he was a pretty miserable replacement for Alfarinn, but he was doing his best. Fortunately, this was archives business and not Clan business. He didn't think the delay would lose the company any business. The researcher in question was eager to get his hands on a particular collection and Kem was supposed to call him back to arrange a good time to visit so he could spend a few days taking notes.

In retrospect, he supposed he could have left that task to an assitant, or one of the other archivists.
Pakpao 15 years ago
"Up to first name terms with Ellis are we? But yes I think I'm going to defect. The pay isn't much better but the health benefits, Kem, the health benefits. Full dental too and that's hard to come by."Â?

As she was musing over her new job Kem got grabby.

"Hey! You no longer have shoe privileges!'

Pak protested as Kem moved her feet while mentally tossing a paper clip at his head. She was still mourning the loss of an incredibly good, incredibly expensive pair of heels at Kem's hands. She was tempted to gouge her heels into his desk, she could probably do some damage to the furniture, but probably to her shoes too, so she opted not to.

Once she determined he wasn't going to cause damage she left her feet on his desk and sighed as he bemoaned a phone message.

"There are other perfectly capable archivists. I'll be you even have an administrative assistant or two running around here. Or an intern. Or some one else with out fifty thousand other things to do."Â?
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
"I didn't know what else to call her so yes, I called her Ellis. And you have full dental here."

Kem swatted almost irritably at the paperclip that flew his way, missing it but ignoring it when it bounced off his hair. "Someone could lose an eyeball that way."

Lifting her feet again to check the other couple messages, he muttered, "If it's up here I get to move it."

Finally starting to make some headway on the clutter, Kem looked up. "Did you need something?"

Even as the words came out of his mouth he knew they were very, very, utterly, wrong. Not only were they terse and snappish, but they were completely lacking in manners, something he never did.

Or had never done.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean that. I mean, don't hit me with that shoe."

Eyeing Pak warily, he got ready to defend himself with a phone book, if necessary.
Pakpao 15 years ago
Pak rolled her eyes. Kem wasn't being any fun tonight. If she wanted that she could have stayed upstairs and talked to an overly serious punk in architecture who seemed to think she liked him.

"It'd grow back. And you'd get to wear an eye patch in the mean time."Â?

Sighing she let Kem move her feet around. She probably could have put her feet on the floor but Pak had a feeling he'd totally ignore her then and in general Pak disapproved of being ignored.

He did not just say that. And not in that tone of voice. OK that was it, this meant war now. Pak snapped out of her casual demeanor and reclined position, feet on the floor and leaned across the desk eyebrow raised and a darkly challenging look on her face. If Kem wanted to met the T-Rex he could.

"God damned it Kem if you don't snap out of it pretty quick I will hurt you and I won't feel bad about it either."Â?

Truthfully she was surprised Aishe hadn't taken a baseball bat to his head. Maybe she had and he'd just regenerated and moved on. Who knew. She didn't care either, what she did know is he was pushing far too hard and wouldn't be any use to any one, least of all himself at this rate.

(OOC... red is in Siamese.)
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem cautiously put down his phonebook and placed his hands on the desk in front of him. "I did apologise," he said, ignoring the Siamese profanity and glaring back equally hard at Pak.

What was this about anyway? "Snap out of what?" Okay, his sense of humor wasn't all it normally was, but he'd been busy for the last few weeks. Still, Pak had just shown up when he was right in the middle of something!

"I've got a lot to do," he pointed out, almost plaintively. The least she could do was not make him guess at what it was he was supposed have done. Did he miss a birthday? Was it someone's anniversary?
Pakpao 15 years ago
Kem’s glare left something to be desired. At least it didn’t scare her. In fact, the whole exchange right down to him whining about being busy chilled her right out and she resumed her feet on desk posture.

“You only apologized because some where in the deep recesses of your mind you know I’m scary. And I’m only accepting the apology because it is a wise man who acknowledges that.”

Idly she picked up a pen with her mind, held it in midair and started twirling it end over end. God help them if a poor unsuspecting human walked in but she was fidgety.

“Have you not noticed you’ve had a lot to do for … I don’t even know how many days now? I know for a fact today is your day off and your still here. You’re here more than I am… and I live here.”
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem snorted. "I know you're terrifying," he corroborated. "I've had you throw kitchenware at my head before, remember?"

Not that she needed reminding. At any rate, his telekinesis was much stronger than hers and if necessary, he could hold her at bay. "And it's a good thing you can do that, because with those t-rex arms I don't think you'll get many punches in."

He cracked a grin at her, sense of humor returning briefly. Then, standing, he wrested the pen from her mental grip and returned it to the desk. "Of course I have a lot to do," he insisted, not liking where this conversation was going. "Alfarinn's away, you know that. I'm not going to let things fall apart while he's away. And the archives won't run themselves."

Two fulltime jobs, which were often more than fulltime jobs in and of themselves. Kem had been handed a big responsibility, and he wasn't going to shirk it. "I want to do this well."

There was no promotion riding on this, no money involved. But it was something he cared about a great deal; both things, for that matter. He took the responsibility seriously. The idea that he'd have taken the night off was no surprise.

"I know it's my night off. But I had things to be done. Look at this mess." He ran his hands through his hair. "It needs to get cleaned up, and I figured if I came on my night off and got it done, no one would know I was here to bug me."

He said it pointedly, literally... he pointed at Pak as he spoke. But, he also let the grin slide back onto his face so she would know he was joking. Mostly.
Pakpao 15 years ago
She batted her eyelashes and in general did her best to look sweet innocent and non-menacing. Of course, this was Kem and he wouldn’t by it for a second but still.

“It is not my fault you are a lanky bastard and I am tiny and adorable.”

Well at least he was smiling and playing with her, a bit. But damned it he’d taken her pen. So, she found another one and started playing with it. I

More profanity followed his pronouncements, most of it was under her breath, but undoubtedly Kem would pick up some of it.

“Kem,” she sounded exasperated at this point, and ceased twirling the pen, instead it just hovered, “Alfarinn got out and played too. He had a life outside of this mad house we call a clan. And no the archives don’t run themselves but its called ‘delegation’. And by not doing it what you’re telling every one here is you don’t trust them to do their jobs, you have to be here or the whole place will fall down about your ears.”

That was something it had taken Pak more than a little time to get used to. Some times, she still got –very- possessive of some things. But she found moral in her department was better and more got done with less bitching if she let people do their jobs and trusted them to do things right and well.

“If you’d have stayed home or gone out with Aishe instead of being here -on your night off- then I wouldn’t be bothering you now would I?”

She countered without a moment’s hesitation.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem was starting to feel slightly picked on.

"Wait a second," he said. "I'm not doing anyone else's job for them. I'm doing my job, which doesn't involve any delegation that I haven't already delegated."

That was completely true! His job as Head of Archives could be completely delegated away.

"I've just fallen behind a little bit with all the Clan... stuff... going on."

Pak didn't know anything about werewolves, he reminded himself. She couldn't have a clue, not yet, about how busy things were. She would be as soon as he and Dani worked out an "official" statement for all the Evenhet, he imagined.

"There are perfectly normal humans out there," he said, gesturing to the common area of the archives, "who know absolutely nothing about Evenhet, and who simply come in to work at Meridian every day or night. If all they see is their boss slacking, what excuse am I going to give them? 'Oh I'm sorry, but we vampires are just way too busy to do normal work?' I'm thinking that might not go over so well. So, yes, I'm here on my night off to catch up and keep things running smoothly for them."

Crossing his arms, he ended the soliloquy and did his best to frown. "And for your knowledge, Aishe and I were out earlier. We had a lovely dinner with our neighbors, Reign and Bastian."

Okay maybe, sort of lovely. But whatever.
Pakpao 15 years ago
Pak raised an eyebrow. Damned he could do self-pity as well as she could. Yes she knew there were lots of people out there who didn’t know about Evenhet and vampires and the like. Why the hell did he think she scheduled interviews in the middle of the day, at some risk to herself, not major but some.

“Really? I hadn’t noticed all the humans scampering about leading normal live. Mercy me what ever will we do?”

She let her voice drip with sarcasm, it was better at growling at him. Although at this rate, she might do that later. For now, she just set the pen down.

“Would you like a violin? Make up a story! Take a sabbatical invent a promotion or a project I don’t care what you do but there are only twenty four hours in a day you have to sleep and eat and date”

Pak half choked over that word. Kem was her brother and as such asexual except purely aesthetically he was pretty not bad looking.

“and have a life.

Oh and if you ever patronize me again you’ll have no power down here for a month.”

Not even, she could pull that off, but it did serve to explain that he was pushing some buttons she didn’t care to have pushed.

OK this time Kem got Pak to do a double take. Had dinner with who?

“Who did you have dinner with?”

It wasn’t a terribly common name and Pak knew Reign was in Nachton. Well that was an interesting turn of events.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Okay, he considered himself pretty hard to anger. Almost as hard as Aishe. But seriously. For real? Come on. Seriously.

"Don't you think you're over reacting just a little bit? It's been a couple weeks. It's not like I'm sorely neglecting my love life." Was he? Maybe he could scare Pak off a bit. "I'm definitely not neglecting my love life." It was said with a sly smile. Maybe he could gross Pak out of his office. He was okay with that. Anyone else, he'd never even have hinted at any kind of intimacy with, but this was Pak... she was his closest friend, and she was really getting on his nerves.

"Aishe hasn't complained," he added, just in case Pak hadn't gotten the point.

"Anyhow I'm not patronizing you. That's just how it is," he insisted. Kem wasn't about to bend on this. He had two jobs now. He wasn't not trusting anyone; he was doing his job. Jobs. Whatever, shit needed to get done!

Pak's double take was unexpected. "Reign and Bastian? Do you know them?" This was interesting. Pak wasn't exactly a social butterfly. Maybe she'd have some information on their strange neighbors. "Reign lives just down the road from us. She has a dog, Sirius, we've seen her walking around a bit and we've gotten to know all three of them in the last couple of weeks."
Pakpao 15 years ago
“Of course she hasn’t. I’ve seen her here almost as much as I’ve seen you!”

And there would be no more thinking about –that-. Ever. If at all possible.

She just didn’t know Aishe well enough to yell at her. That and well… Kem was… Kem.

“And if I knew that this.. this… whatever” She waved her hand to indicate the whole mess of archives and clan and anything else he had up his sleeve, “was going to be over in another two weeks I wouldn’t say a word. So you’ll forgive me for giving a fucking rats ass about whether you are taking care of your self and being a bit concerned about the potential long run!”

It was official. Pak had lost her temper. She wasn’t even bothering with subterfuge she was flat out seething. She couldn’t explain why Kem was pissing her off so bad right now. It wasn’t because he was right, she didn’t think he was. Yes, he had one or two points but so did she and he wasn’t even listening to her. She was being dismissed out of hand and if that’s how he wanted to play it fine. She’d be dismissed.

She jerked herself to her feet and was half way out the door but paused and while still clearly irritated had the good grace to turn and answer his questions.

“Her. Not him. At least I know her if you’re talking about a sturdy blond with a pool fixation. We met in Chicago a few years ago. I can’t quite remember when. She moved here… a year ago? Maybe.”

Pak shrugged. What did it matter. It was just an odd coincidence the two were neighbors.

((OOC... Red is Siamese again.))
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem sighed as Pak ranted. Truth be told, he was a little hurt that she might suggest he wasn't taking care of himself. If anything, since having Aishe around he took better care of himself than he had in years.

Stifling the urge to mutter something about vampires still having PMS (his manners weren't that far gone and he valued the life he had now), Kem let Pak run out of steam. When she'd finished, he drummed his fingers on the desk.

"I know you're looking out for me, senet," he said, "and believe me, I appreciate the fact that you care enough about me to say all of that. I won't deny I'm a little stressed out."

Maybe a lot stressed out; he'd never argued with Pak before... but he wasn't going to point that out.

"But please, you've got to realize that even in my stupidest hours I've got Aishe, at least, backing me up."

Well, the "if you don't trust me trust my girlfriend" argument wasn't the one he would originally have picked. Kem would have preferred it if Pak had given him the benefit of the doubt and tried to support him instead of ripping him a new one, but 'tough love' was her way, and right now he'd use just about any argument to end this one.

"Really. If I were doing anything terribly destructive, don't you think she'd have called on you for an intervention by now? I need to be here, doing this. Until I'm not needed here anymore."

When it seemed like she was simply going to hissy fit herself back up to IT, she suddenly stopped at the door and turned. At first he thought he might have just been that convincing, until he realized talk of Reign had piqued her attention again.

"That sounds like her," he said. "I'm surprised. She must have made an impression on you."

He ventured a smile, hoping maybe, just a little bit, she'd gotten the worst of whatever-it-was out of her system.
Pakpao 15 years ago
Pak ground her teeth slightly. Something was off in her head and she was just now realizing that and it scared the hell out of her. It always did when it snuck up on her like that. But it didn’t stop her from being angry, it just turned a lot of that anger away from Kem towards herself. While it wasn’t under control, at least it stopped her from yelling. And she certainly wasn’t going to admit any of this to Kem who didn’t need anything else to worry about.

So, she’d gone from shouting to sulky.

“A) I’m not terribly worried about you being overtly destructive. And if you think that you deserve everything I just gave you. B) Don’t you –ever- forget you have more than one cute burnet backing you up or you’ll get another earful.”

Oh yes she was so ready to go brood in a dark corner somewhere. It was that or go do something incredibly reckless and she didn’t know which. Nasty evil not good thoughts warred with restless energy that came from nowhere and seemed to have nowhere to go. Very probably nothing was going to go right or make her happy the rest of the night, maybe longer. She retreated behind a wall of subterfuge, just in case Aishe could pick up emotions over their bond. Pak didn’t trust empaths at all.

“Yes. Yes she did. I sponsored her when she started playing professionally. Turns out she’s an interesting woman and a good investment.”

She didn’t move from the doorway, uncertain of what to do or where to go. Give it another second and she’d start pacing.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Internally, Kem breathed a sigh of relief. If he could calm Pak down, then maybe he stood a chance at dealing with werewolves and two other Clans. Maybe.

Now that the wind had gone out of her sails, Pak seemed to deflate a bit. In fact, she looked sad. Insofar as Pak ever really looked sad. Normally she was just sort of inscrutable, but now... definitely sad. Ish.

Getting up and moving around his desk, Kem pulled the smaller vampire into his arms. "I'm lucky to have you, nefer-senet. Not every man can claim to have not one, but two feisty vampires in his corner."

Kem ignored her comments about Reign for the time being. Now that Pak had blown up, she was sure to come down from her high. Something else seemed to be bothering her. There was no special ability involved in his sleuthing, no clues, no givaways. He just... knew Pak.

Hugging her tightly, he asked, "What's bothering you so much? It's more than me being busy."

Pak wasn't usually very open with her emotions, but she had confided in him many times in the past, and if something was bothering her he wanted to know. Busy he may be, but he'd be a poor brother indeed if he didn't have time for her.
Pakpao 15 years ago
Any fight Pak had left in her fled as she let Kem hug her. Ordinarily she didn’t do hugs but right at this moment she was willing to make an exception.

“Most other vampires couldn’t handle us both.”

That was sort of an apology. At least in Pak’s mind she’d acknowledged she’d been an ass. While she had been resting her head on his chest when asked what was bothering her Pak shook her head, almost violently. At first she hadn’t intended to say anything. She didn’t like admitting to weakness, particularly this weakness.

It wasn’t a pleasant thing to be reminded that one’s biggest enemy was one’s self. Nor was it enjoyable to know there was no way to battle or even confront said enemy.

While Pak had confided a great deal in Kem she didn’t think she’d mentioned her mood swings. Web MD said she was manic-depressive, among other things, but that site could make any body believe –anything-. Regardless, she was certain he must have picked up on them, at least somewhat, but she’d never flat out said some times she seemed to lose control for no apparent reason. She’d never had need to explain herself to him. This time though he deserved an answer.

“I don’t know pêe chaai. I just don’t. And I don’t like it either.”

She’d started out sounding defiant, or as Kem more appropriately put it, feisty but over the course of a few words she went from her feisty self to a petulant child. She disliked not knowing what was going on her head but was more upset that she couldn’t explain it to some one else and that it had gotten so out of hand before she'd caught it.

"I'll be OK though. Nothing to see here, move along, next patient."

She joked weakly, still tyring to keep him from worrying... about her at any rate.
Kem`Raaisu 15 years ago
Kem sighed into Pak's hair, gave her one more squeeze and let her go. He was pretty sure she knew what was wrong with her, but he wasn't going to push; with Pak, that only made her less reluctant to talk about whatever was bothering her.

Looking back at his desk, which was only halfway messy now as he had made a decent amount of headway, he figured in light of things it could wait a bit. He could come in on his day off when it was only him who was affected by it; it could work all kinds of odd hours if the stress was his alone, but someone else needing help was another story altogether. And if Pak needed company, he could let this wait.

"Come on," he said, gathering his laptop bag back up and putting his hand on Pak's back.

Turning her, he guided her toward the door.

"Run back to your suite and get out of those shoes," he said with a grin. "I'm still not secure in the fect that one of those heels won't end up in my eyeball. Then come meet me in the lobby."

It wasn't a question; he said it with the expectation that it would not be refused. He'd drag Pak along if need be, even up 31 flights if it meant getting those shoes off.