Multitasking (open)

It had taken Nikhila a few days and some courage to leave the safety Pack grounds for anything other than her assignment for Lily. It wasn't that she was a coward you understand; but anything to avoid violence and to keep from becoming a liability to Lily, Stafford and the Pack. She was toying with the idea of taking some self-defense classes, she'd heard Aikido was more defensive than offensive. Perhaps that would be a good option.

With that in mind Nikhila had come to the library with a 'to do list'. First, find out about this Aikido martial art. Second, she'd spoken to Regan and learned that she had a daughter here in Nachton so she intended to find out what she could about Reign. Perhaps she'd pay a call on the girl, but only after, she had more to go on. Third, she needed to chase down an old article, mostly forgotten, about blood samples.

It was a beautiful night, new moon, she would have loved to gone out and run perhaps even hunt. But duty before pleasure. She loved the big building and had developed quite a nice relationship with the head librarian; he, however, seemed to be on his way out so they were only able to exchange a few words before he handed her off to one of the assistant librarians. The young woman was quite nice and started off by pointing Nikhila to the martial arts section.

Thanking her Nikhila disappeared into the stacks. Karate, Tae Kwan Do, Jujitsu... maybe she should get a video instead and watch it.

Ilviana 15 years ago
On the steps of the library, the woman paused. She carried a smallish, soft denim backpack high between her shoulders, and a largish messenger bag crossed her chest and banged softly but heavily against her hip. Her long, dark red hair looked black in the dim evening light, with red highlights where it seemed to absorb rather than reflect what light kept the dark at bay. The big bushes on either side of the library steps were swathed with dark shrouds of shadow, but they didn’t catch her interest. What gave her pause was the delightful realization that her curiosity had paid off – the well-lit library really was open late!
A smile broke out on her face. She had considered several places to stop, once she wandered into town, but they were all so... crowded. Shifting her shoulders – and loving the feel of the warm spot against her spine, she continued up the stairs, and inside. She liked the old fashioned look of things, and nodded politely to the librarian sitting behind the desk near the front. The place had that wonderful smell of old paper – and that slightly not-so-wonderful smell of a place just a little too open to the public.
She liked wandering the stacks, just looking. Sometimes she’d turn a corner, and there above a couch for reading would be a painting of some sort, and she’d pause there for a moment, eyes flicking over the brushstrokes, the light, the curves, and trying to take something away from that, something that would change her own work. Or sometimes, they were just pretty, and she look just to enjoy.
She stopped along the way and picked up a current newspaper, and a few books on the local area. Within the next few days, she wanted to find a semi-permanent place to call her own, and she had to figure out where to start looking. This wasn’t the first time she’d wandered in to a town without knowing anyone, but she wasn’t usually planning on settling down right away. This time was going to be different. With her reference material under one arm, she went looking for a secluded couch to get comfy on, and start figuring out her next step.
A painted Chinese kite hung from the ceiling, all blue and gold and trailing ribbons. Eyeing it, she wasn’t watching where she was going as she rounded a corner. Her mind had started to fill with the image of a rich kimono on a fine lady, and a child with a kite. She only just barely kept herself from running into the woman in the aisle around the corner. With a little squeak, she stopped abruptly, and blushe
d.
"Good lord, I’m so sorry!" her accent, vaguely English, gave the words a slightly surreal-like goofiness. She clutched her books to her chest, after she’d nearly dropped them.
Nikhila 15 years ago
Oh, goodness she was being a speed bump. Slightly embarrassed Nikhila unfolded her six-foot plus frame, she was wearing heels, and smiled a sweet, patient understanding smile. The young woman seemed quite absorbed in something.

“Its quite alright. My fault. I should know better than to crawl around on the ground. At the very least I can accept the inherent risks that come with such an activity.”

The other woman was quite pretty and Nikhila wondered what could have captured her attention so entirely. She didn’t seem the martial arts sort any more than Nikhila herself was.

Her own accent was muddled, only vaguely Indian any more, it had taken on hints of every place she had been over the years. And that was saying something.
Ilviana 15 years ago
Ilvi couldn’t help but blink a few times. She’d nearly stepped on an Amazon! Her words widened Ilvi’s smile, "I should watch where I’m going. I was distracted, " she pointed with the top of hear back at the kite. "The kite.. it’s so pretty. I was looking at it rather than where I was going."

Ilvi’s smile turned self-deprecating, "I’m a bit clumsy, especially when I get an idea." As if on cue, the realty books she was clutching slipped free, landing on her toes. She managed not to jump, her eyebrows drawing together sharply.

"Ow." Smoothly crouching to pick up the books, she looked up again, one eyebrow arched in curiosity, "Do you live around here?" The accent might mean she was a tourist, but libraries weren’t usually big tourist draws, so maybe this girl could give her a little advice – insider knowledge.
Nikhila 15 years ago
“If we are both at fault, then there is no fault.”

Nikhila enjoyed logic along those lines. It was fine to point fingers at one’s self but not nearly as acceptable to blindly point them at others. You never knew with certainty where they were coming from.

Frowning as the book hit the red head’s foot she inquired.

“Are you all right?”

Once it was determined there was no permanent damage done she turned her own attention upwards. The kite was quite lovely. But then, she’d always liked kites. She might be able to run for hours, days, but she couldn’t fly and playing with a kite seemed to satisfied that desire. She found herself smiling again.

“I can understand why it would capture your attention.”

She nodded.

“Yes. Well relatively speaking.”

Close enough to get to the city through a combination of public transportation and walking, Nikhila didn’t own a car, she’d never been in one spot long enough to warrant it. She was debating changing that, but hadn’t made up her mind.
Ilviana 15 years ago
"If we are both at fault, then there is no fault."

Ilvi could really get behind some logic like that, and her grin widened again in response. She looked back at the kite as the woman moved to see it. For a moment, her mind wandered, and she wondered if it was privately owned, perhaps loaned to the library, of if they owned it, and just brought it out when the weather was suited for kite flying.
The answer to her question brought her attention squarely back where it belonged. She smiled again,
"Do you like it?" That was what she really wanted to know. "I’m thinking of staying for a while, maybe. It seems nice." Her expression was earnestly curious. Her expression shifted to slightly apprehensive before the girl could answer, "I’m sorry.. I mean.. if you don’t mind me bothering you..." Ilvi had been told once that she’d talk to anyone, given the chance. She supposed it was true. She loved talking to people. She didn’t care who they were – poor, rich, important, or common as dirt. They were all interesting. Sometimes, she didn’t stop to think that the people she was talking with might have more important things to do. Maybe that was a side effect of immortality....
Nikhila 15 years ago
“Oh yes, very much so. But then I like kites.”

After a second Nikhila laughed softly, at herself, at her misunderstanding; apparently the kite had captured her attention too.

“Perhaps you’d like to sit down?”

She didn’t want to bother the other patrons and there was a lovely little nook just off to the side and she pointed to it. If they young lady had questions, they’d both be more comfortable there than standing in the stacks. She waited for a response, happy to follow if that is what the girl wanted.

“No of course you’re not bothering me. Not at all. It is a nice city, and I’ve been rather happy here. But then, I have family here and that does tend to make a difference.”

That, honestly was the best way to describe the Pack, it was her family and she would always be welcome to their home. Even if her feet took to itching and she wandered off again, she’d be welcome back.

From the sound of things, the young woman was not only new to the area but also alone and looking for a place to settle. How very odd, and then again, perhaps not. How many times had she been in the exact same spot? More often than she could count. It would be nice if there was something she could do to help.
Ilviana 15 years ago
Ilvi nodded, and happily followed her to the little area. It was exactly what she’d been hoping to stumble over, and bonus – a real live person to chat with!

"No of course you’re not bothering me. Not at all. It is a nice city, and I’ve been rather happy here. But then, I have family here and that does tend to make a difference."

Ilviana sighed softly,
"Family always makes a difference." She unslung her pack, tucking it down by her leg, up close. The books and messenger bag folded into her lap as she sat. "I do miss mine sometimes." Her smiled waxed nostalgic a moment, then right on back to the friendly, natural one that seemed to linger most of the time on her face.

"My name’s Ilvi. It’s nice of you, you know," she said, shuffling the realty books. "It’s just that I’m determined to stay, at least for a little while, but I feel like I’m going about it all backwards." She shrugged lightly. still smiling, "But that’s nothing new."
Nikhila 15 years ago
Her few books on Aikido rested in her lap as Nikhila settled herself into a seat.

“Nikhila, a pleasure to meet you Ilvi.”

Nikhila was sure Ilvi didn’t mean to make her laugh, and it certainly wasn’t polite but she couldn’t help herself and wound up giggling. She did make an attempt at manners, keeping her mouth closed to stifle the sound and further hiding her mouth behind her hand.

“I am sorry. Its just that sound extremely familiar. I tend to find a place and then find a reason to stay. It isn’t backwards, its just in a slightly different order than most people, but different can be good. It also often works out better than you think it will, you just have to prioritize a few things. At least, that’s what has worked best in my case.”

And if that didn’t work pick up some change of address forms and try again. In fact, even if it did work it was best to pick up some change of address forms because she would be trying again.

“If I might ask, what drew you to Nachton?”
Ilviana 15 years ago
Ilvi grinned, feeling more comfortable. One hand drifted down to rest on the top flap of her pack, against her leg. "Someone told me about it. It sounded like a interesting place, and that’s usually what draws me – I have a cat’s curiosity." She smiled again, removing her hand from the pack again.

"
I’ve always been fairly nocturnal – a city that seems to run all night is especially interesting. I mean, I can’t remember the last time I made it to the library before it closed." She glanced down at the book, "I was thinking I’d have to decide where to start looking for a place to stay – for the night, I can get a hotel room, but long term, I’m going to want to buy or rent something..." she sighed. "I don’t know why it seems so much more intimidating than usual."

Her eyes fell to the book on the other girl’s lap. Martial arts... she’d never thought of trying to learn something like that from a book. She glanced down at her own books. The realty books, with their listings of houses and apartment complexes seemed somehow inadequate. They were designed to make them all look equally inviting.
"I don’t suppose you know if there’s any kind of ‘art gallery’ sort of part of town, is there?" It was a good place to start.
Nikhila 15 years ago
Nikhila smiled. That was more than she’d had when venturing to some places. Occasionally she’d just stopped because she couldn’t afford to move on. Or she’d gone for a day and gotten side tracked and wound up in a town for a week or a month.

“Curiosity did kill the cat. But I’d imagine he was very well informed before he passed on.”

Nocturnal she could understand. For several days a month she was very much Nocturnal, except for those 7AM classes. Why had she agreed to teach those? Oh yes, because no one else wanted them.

“Having been in similar situations perhaps you’ll let me give a bit of unsolicited advice? Rent first. If you like it here, then buy. But it would be a shame to waste all that time and effort only to move on.”

If she had been living on her own Nikhila would have offered Ilvi a place to spend the night. But she certainly couldn’t bring an unknown home to the pack.

“I understand there are some lovely galleries in the waterfront area. And of course there is the Arch Museum as well. It is a very good museum, I’m afraid I haven’t had time to give it the attention it deserves. I’m sure there must be some more galleries down town but I haven’t been able to explore.”
Ilviana 15 years ago

Ilvi nodded, listening. "Renting makes sense, of course. Waterfront... if there are galleries there, then something near there would be wonderful. I always did like the sea." She smiled again, "I’m guessing you don’t spend much time perusing the local art?" Her question was light, half-teasing, somewhere between ‘you know you probably should’ and ‘I don’t blame you if you don’t’.
Her eyes dropped to the books again, "Maybe a dojo would be more your style?" One eyebrow arched slightly with her smile. She realized she hadn’t yet introduced herself, and added with a faint blush, "I’m Ilvi, by the way. Ilviana Wickham."

Nikhila 15 years ago
“Large bodies of water have a universal draw.”

At least that was true in Nikhila’s experience. Of course, she’d also developed a fondness for mountains, deserts, forests, anywhere that she had or hadn’t been actually.

She chuckled slightly at Ilvi needled her about her art habits.

“Oddly enough I haven’t since I moved here. Usually its one of my indulgences, local art and artisans; I’ve rather been thrown into my work since arriving. I shall have to correct that soon though.”

A faint smile tugged at her lips as the girl reintroduced herself. Not knowing what to do without being rude she simply nodded and moved back to the topic of dojos. Where did that come from? She glanced down at the books in her lap and looked slightly sheepish. A dojo wouldn’t really be necessary, certainly there would be some one who could train her. Although, for her own sanity hiring a disinterested party might be best.

“Ultimately I think you might be right about that. I wanted to get a bit of an idea of some of the styles and options before finding some one who might be able to teach me.”

Yoga, running, swimming, she could handle those on her own. However, this was more than good heal or physical maintenance. This was very much about defense. The trick was finding something that wouldn’t hurt any one. She very much didn’t want to hurt any one.

“Do you by any chance practice anything along these lines?”

Personal insight would be more than welcome.

((ooc: Not abandoning you, but using Nikhila in another thread! PM me when you're ready to continue here and I'll free her up again. ))